Speaker 1: Joe Escalante live from Hollywood, if by Hollywood you mean Burbank, across the street from a Wiener Schnitzel that serves beer. And we are two hours of the business end of show business. I'm joined here by engineer Sam, producer Nikki, and we are going to get at it today. I've got way too many stories and I didn't see any movies in the theater, so I'm going to give away that right now. We'll get to that in a little bit. How are you guys doing.
Speaker 2: Doing good? Joe, missed you. Good to hang out with you again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. We were separated for a while, and yeah, i was doing a little traveling and then I'm going to set my stop watch here so that could be a little more professional. Now. No one can see me in my bathrobe, right.
Speaker 2: No, but I can imagine just how glorious that bathrobe is.
Speaker 3: Right now, I can hear it.
Speaker 1: Relax voice. I got to stop wearing my bathrobe into the studio. I mean, because that walk from the parking structure to the studio, I get a lot of weird looks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me, it's like the socks with the like the things that hold the socks up that is, you know, and the sand I need. It's the slippers. Like the combination of the robe and that whole outfit. It screams comfort. But I'm not sure if it's business appropriate.
Speaker 1: Well I need it, Okay, I need the very abstract silhouette for sure. You don't want to see my quitters after. I'm sure we don't if I take those. If I take those, uh hey, guess what last night? I uh, I had a couple of shows, but Sublime, the bandit that I managed, was playing at the Yamava Casino and it was an iHeart Radio event for all ninety eight seven. And who came to meet with the managers of Sublime was mister Paul Corvino, the regional, the division president of iHeart Meetia. He's the president of all our stations and everything. So I met our boss.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, wow.
Speaker 1: I told him all about you guys. He's very proud of you, and he says he's got a lot of a lot of new stuff coming up at K E. I B. And then he asked me to park his car. But everything's cool.
Speaker 2: That's what happens when you wear a red blazer jacket to functions. People just give you the keys.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. And if you're and if you're at all Mexican, I've noticed that people I do ask that people have asked me to park their car. I'm not I'm not. I'm not kidding. And I used to be a valet parker so I can park the car.
Speaker 2: See I was too. That was one of my first jobs.
Speaker 1: Where did you Where did you park cars.
Speaker 2: At a hotel in Michigan?
Speaker 1: What was the name of the hotel?
Speaker 2: The Bell Tower Hotel in Ann Arbor, Michigan. If you ever played at Hill Auditorium, it was right across the street.
Speaker 1: Sold it out eight nights. Just kidding. I I parked the Irvine Hilton and Towers where you didn't even get to bring your You didn't even get to keep your tips. This is what a racket this was for the parking company. Yeah. You you, someone comes up and gives you a tip, you hand it to the manager on duty. So here's but first you put it in your pocket. They tell you, first put it in your pocket so it looks like you're getting it, because if they were, they knew you were handing it over to this evil manager, they wouldn't give you a tip, so you have so like, okay, well, how's this. I have a dollar bill in my pocket at all times. Anyone gives me a five to ten or a twenty, i'd put it in the pocket, I change it for the dollar bill and that's what I give to you. And you'll never know unless you go inside my pockets and I told you to stop doing that. I would file acclaim with HR.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Hey, that's keeping your tips. I'm okay with you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was a little you know, underground. But the other perk was, well, the only perk was I could wear my valet outfit on the weekends and go back to that hotel and get into the boxing matches for free. Could you just walk in the back door like it's a Valet parker walking around.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Well that's pretty good actually.
Speaker 1: And that way, those people that were beating the crap out of each other got less money. I guess that's not a great story either. Okay, all right, let's go to let's go to the big story that we've been talking about out for a couple of weeks now, the Disney people and they're suing people. If you remember they had someone sued them for a wrongful death claim. And then they said, we got to go to arbitration. You can't use the courts. And the spouse of the dead person says, why can't I use the courts? Everybody can use the courts, and Disney said, you have to use arbitration because when you signed up for Disney Plus a while ago, you didn't read the fine print, and you have to go to arbitration every time. Anytime you have any dispute with the Disney Company, you have to go to arbitration, even if it's us poisoning your wife with some dangerous food allegedly. So we were all shocked by that, right you were. I thought the guy should have read the thing.
Speaker 3: And well, that's your litigious side. But that's a crazy fine print to include. And it was a one month Disney subscription, so it's not even like an ongoing subscription.
Speaker 1: Why not we only go for one month? What's that? All?
Speaker 3: Probably wanted to watch watch some time.
Speaker 1: I'll watched all the Mandalorians and then quit. That's that's dishonest.
Speaker 3: That's how I do it. I mean, that's the watch HBO. I mean I just want to watch, you know, House of the dragon and then the season ends, and now.
Speaker 2: What, I have a life. I gotta go live it.
Speaker 1: Cancel it. I heard that season end. It was just like a battle and you don't even really know what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was all right, they're battling and then they're but they're battling. They're they're leading up to this big battle. They have the battle, and then the credits roll.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I let them have the battle. I canceled my subscription and then I can have all the legal battles I want with HBO, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're under you're not under You're not under contract for arbitration now. So anyway, it was really stupid because it didn't not only was it like, you know, tone deaf or a bad look, as they say in Hollywood that's the new buzz phrase. It wasn't a good look too, uh, to deprive the spouse of some deceased person of their rights just because they had signed up for Disney. Plus, it's probably the worst look in the history of looks, I would say. So they backed off. That's the big news. They gave up, they're saying, and they're not saying like Okay, we agree our errant waiter is responsible for the death of your of your wife. Now they said, okay, we can go to court and and and screw you there instead of instead of an arbitration, so you get you you get the difference, right, Yeah, I mean yeah, they're still going to court. They're still saying it's not our fault. And I don't know if you've ever seen a you go to waiters. My sister I talked about this. I think she's a silly act. So she can't have gluten. And it just happened a couple days ago where we all went out and she ordered something I can't have any gluten. Is there any gluten in this? They was like like chicken, like a fried chicken, so I don't know whatever it was, and he goes, I don't think so oh there shouldn't be so far I know, And then they bring the manager over, Yeah, there really shouldn't be. And she's just like, never mind, I will have a water and she's alive today and her Disney plastic count is fine. Everything's cool. So the waiters don't know. And then but why do all these people have these food diseases?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Then they didn't have them when we were young, right, Sam, No.
Speaker 2: They did. They just died before anybody noticed.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then somebody was like, wait a minute, this peanut butter thing is killed five of my children. We've got to work that one out.
Speaker 1: That could be it. So speaking to Disneyland, I got a few Disneyland stories.
Speaker 2: Let's go to break and bring them back in.
Speaker 1: Please, all right, come back. We got a big fight at Fantasmic. We're gonna We're gonna analyze Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood. Joe A. Scalante Live from Hollywood. It's by Hollywood, you mean Burbank with two hours of the business end of show Business. We do this every Sunday right here. I'm k e IB eleven fifty on your AM dial with our fearless leader, Paul Corbino. That was his name, Did you know that, Sam, that's our boss's name.
Speaker 2: Yes. I occasionally see the emails from him.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, good for you. Yeah. I guess he's got an office on the floor that we're on, and so I'm going to just start hanging out there now that I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please do bring me with you. I'd like to get some FaceTime with the man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he has her of our station. I just want you to know that the news, that's the headline. Hey uh big fight fantastic. If you go to Joe Ascolante Live from Hollywood Facebook page, you can see it.
Speaker 2: Like an actle like fisticuff fight.
Speaker 1: It's a brawl and they're watching, you know, they're watching the characters out over the rivers of America at tom Sorry's Island, and they are, you know, all the music is going and it just looks magical, and all of a sudden there's a fight and they just start, you know, they're all over each other ghetto style, and it is looks like the cause was just people being too close to each other and they were in a VIP section. That's what that was. I thought, maybe this is the this is where the ghetto people are, but they're in the VIP section.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm watching the video on the Facebook now. I appreciate your caption being being prey for these people.
Speaker 1: That's very beautiful. I didn't know what to saying. I don't know what to say because I could be like, hey, Walmart comes to Disneyland, you know, and all that kind of stuff, and then that's a little too cynical.
Speaker 3: Something about like seeing a video of a fight like World Star or like this type of thing where you're watching them fight and then you realize, like one of them, if not both of them, have their iPhones in their hands, and it's like, Okay, that's basically slinging around a brick with magic powers like that. First of all, that's gonna hurt, but also like, if you're really gonna fight, put that thing away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would always be worried about my my phone or or what kind of shoe am I wearing? Like I don't wear flip flops because what if I get in a fight? I need it. I need my heels.
Speaker 2: Some people would look at their sandals as being an advantage because you can use it as a weapon. Yeah, sort of a paddle. Anybody on the receiving end of a chunkla knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: That's a myth. I don't think a Mexican mother ever hit a kid with the chancolate I'm going to say.
Speaker 3: I also have to say I love that the security has to wear the silly little hats too, you know, don't that's part of their as part of the costumes for the Fantasmic Show.
Speaker 1: One of those guys, Yeah, one of those guys I believe is is my wife's cousin in that video. I sent a text to him to say, is this you? And he's a security guy. He gets in so many fights there. All those guys get in fights all the time, and they break bones in fights, they get black eyes, and they always it's a dangerous job. And it used to be a cool job. It used to be the job I wanted as a kid. This is the job I wanted because if you worked in the western town, you got to wear a like, not a cowboy outfit, but a cavalry The security guys were, they were cavalry outfits and and all they did walk around Disneyland looking for trouble. But now they all have to wear that stupid outfit and they have to wear like a vest with a dayglow, you know vest thing that things that's you can't look cool in a dayglo. J leco.
Speaker 2: So this happened in the VIP section.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'll tell you I know why it happens. Okay, financing people finance these things. So you got a few people in that group right there. They're like, hey, you want to go to Disneyland, And the other one said, it's got too much money. Bro said, nah, let's just put it on a credit card. You'll finance it. You'll finance it, finance my annual pass sixteen dollars a month, and then when we go, we'll just put it on the credit card. And then when the credit card book comes, you know what, we declared bankruptcy. That's how you do it. Oh, that's a good idea, bro, Let's do it. Let's go big though, VIP section that kind of stuff. If people really had to pay for this with like you know, if they knew the value of the of the money they were spending, they probably wouldn't pay for it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and it just means that they had to pay extra for a beatdown, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, come on, yeah. And then then after that they're going to get thrown now, you know. So they're like, if it's your hard earned money, you're not going to get thrown out. Like any trouble happens. You go, oh, we'll better be cool because we don't want to be thrown out of here because I spent you know, three weeks wages on this trip with my kids. But if you're financing it and you're at a stage in your life when you don't know the value of money and you're like, you know, all right, step up, bro, I'll throw you on the rivers of America. All right.
Speaker 2: Now, I have a question. Have you ever seen a fight breakout in the private access club, the one where you need to know the secret handshake to get in. Has there been a fight that's ever broken out in there?
Speaker 1: No? But one time I was in there and I wanted to beat this guy down for wearing pajama bottoms at the bar. That's as close as That's as close as it got.
Speaker 2: Wearing pajama bottoms anywhere in public is a little bit off. Wearing them at Disneyland is a little bit more off. Wearing them at the exclusive club in the middle of Disneyland that's about as low rent as it gets.
Speaker 1: Wearing them at the bar at a beautiful bar that they spend eight million dollars renovating, and you come in and Forbes magazine calls it the most exclusive club in the world, and you're walking in there with your pajama bottoms like you've kind of beat the system, and you're so casual and you don't give a crap. You're very lucky that my wife held me back. Very lucky.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you have those bottoms off of him and provided him with something more classy?
Speaker 1: I would have turned him into my bottom, is what I would have.
Speaker 2: I believe you'd go. I believe you did.
Speaker 1: I go too far.
Speaker 2: I think you were just far enough. That was perfect, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? Right well, I have a I didn't see any movies, but the number one movie. We're gonna get some movies in the next after this break, but the number one movie in America is Deadpool still, which I saw. Is do you any you guys see it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I need to go downstairs and catch it. I'm gonna watch it on Tuesday, because.
Speaker 1: That's if you're an adult, it's definitely worth seeing. If you're a kid, you know, parents got to decide if this is okay for you, because there's some really crazy stuff in it. Like if I repeat these jokes, people go, Joe, what is the matter with you? What happened to you? You've changed?
Speaker 2: You're selling it for me right now?
Speaker 1: That sounds great? Oh yeah, no, if that's if that sells it for you. You're gonna love it because there's more of that Alien movie is number two and then it ends with Us, which I didn't see and blink twice. I didn't see. But I'll see some more movies this week. I was just really wrapped up in this movie that I saw, not a movie. I saw a twelve part series on a the history of sport fishing. M let's take a break, and then we come back a little bit more about that. And we got you know, we got more Disneyland news. We got some you know, the usual stuff. The NBA's in the news. They got a huge battle on their hands. And I got some food Fighter news, which finally, the food Fighters have done something in the in the political campaign song world that no one has done. And I will tell you what that is after the break. Joe Ascolante Live from Hollywood. By Hollywood, you mean Burbank And uh, that girl is actually talking about the bancake from Sacramento. I don't know if you know that. It's a little rock and roll trivia that we have for you today. For those of you that messaged me and said that Matthew Perry is not the husband of Katie Perry, you don't know what you're talking about. Okay, all right, I know I said, we're going to talk about a lot of stuff, but we're going to go straight to the political stuff, because that's how, you know, people stay friends by talking about politics. Of course, in this case, I have two I think I have two shows that are I mean two stories I think all American, all of America can rally around. The first involves Zach Galifanakis. Zach Galafanakis. It was talking about the Democratic Convention. I don't know if you guys watched any of that. It was it was quite a Hollywood show, you know. It was people gave it pretty good reviews on a show business thing. And how did they pull it together when they just like they were in disarray like a month ago. They did it. But the celebrities, because we're this is a Hollywood show, so we're talking about the celebrity aspect of it. They had Eva Longoria, Ben Stiller, Octavius Spencer, Pink Stevie Wonder, John Legend, Patty LaBelle and h and John and Little John did you already did you already know Little John was there? Well?
Speaker 3: I mean I caught up on this because I thought it was I thought I was making a good point with this one, Will.
Speaker 1: John, So anyway, litill John. I mean, if you have not seen the remix of that song that we just played for our bumper music pie piece of Cake to make a pretty cake featuring Little John, it's it's morally offensive. But as far as mashups go, it's a masterpiece.
Speaker 2: It sacrilicious.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good That is a very good term that describes a lot of my sins. Yeah, they're sacrilicious. So little John WHOA. I wonder if uh, miss Harris has ever seen the bake a cake, piece of cake to make a pretty cake featuring Little John mashup? It's uh, I don't know. At least I ever meet her, I'll have something to talk about. Okay. So, but but when Zach Allifanakis has asked about the Harris phenomenon and the the election, he had this to say, as a small town guy from North Carolina, I do wish the Democrats would step back from the celebrities a little bit. The Hangover star told the Oh, that's one of those sentences I'm not supposed to read. So he says it works to a point, but they have to win over rural America. Hollywood thinks it's so important, and that's a problem. Actors are people too, and they're citizens too. But I'm more on the small town side of that than i am on the Hollywood side of that. That's just me very wise, because really, all those Democrats would have to do is just like move totally to the center and say we are so normal and we are so centrist, and they would win going away, but then they get they they go to a very far extreme to one side, and then they put the celebrities on top of that, and then the people in the rural areas identify celebrities with people who have more money than they will ever have, and they're like, well, yeah, it must be a luxury for you to say all these left leaning political things that sound good, but you know, they maybe they harm me on the farm or whatever. So very smart. He gave the best. He gave the best advice to someone if they wanted to win, Just you gotta win over rural America. Look at that map. Have you seen the map where they show who votes for who?
Speaker 3: Yeah, generally, I mean, he's totally right. It's kind of like, if anyone wants to be relatable, they need to humble themselves just a little bit. Yeah, and I think it's definitely tough to think that the majority of the country really really relates to celebrities in the same way that they do relate to their politics.
Speaker 1: I think a rural America is given up on celebrities.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, they're just like these guys, Uh, won't take your Hollywood b s and get and get it out of my town. You move to Montana, Oh you're from Hollywood. Get out of here. They won't talk to you. They just won't talk. And then people like you know in Tennessee won't talk to you if you have California plates. They're over it. So you gotta that's all they gotta do if they want to win. So where did the advice come from? Zach gallifanakas And he's not saying I don't think he's saying, I'm a more conservative person and I'm not going to vote for these people and that's why I'm not into it. I don't think he's saying that at all. He's just saying, Hey, you guys want to win. I'm down to the farm. Once in a while.
Speaker 2: He's not wrong, he's not at all, he's not. I mean, really that's uh. A lot of times what ends up making it so that people get disconnected from all things political is the fact that they just don't feel like the people that represent them have any real interest in them. And it's nice when you have somebody that's willing to go down there and actually meet with you and hear what you have to say.
Speaker 1: And they are, like, I say, they've already given up on celebrities. So the more celebrities you pile onto that DNC, it didn't help you help you at all. It's like it's kind of like Trump on the other side, the more rallies he does, these rallies in these red states. I mean, sure they're fun for everybody, but do they win over any new people?
Speaker 2: No, not really. But also I mean the DNC and the RNC, those are basically just you know, public displays of I guess political masturbation if you will, because it's a party for it for themselves. So you saw what the RNC was and how they celebrated their nomination of their candidate, and the DNC wanted to make it seem like it was much more of a party's atmosphere, and I think they succeeded. It was it was definitely a party atmosphere.
Speaker 1: It's just definitely.
Speaker 2: Is that is that like, does that mean one side's going to be better than the other at, you know, running the country. No, it just means that one side's better at throwing a party right.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, and then a few months from now will be going. I think the problem was our convention. Whichever side it is, perhaps, Okay, but let's get to the Every election cycle, excuse me, I don't have a cough button over here. Every election cycle, the celebrities of the songwriters complain that their songs are excuse me once again. Okay, Neil Hamberger over here. Okay, Nicki, Nikki, you don't know who Neil Hamburger is, but you should look him up. Classic Neil Hamberger. Okay, you might see You might want to see Neil Hamberger live at the Dog Track directed by Joe Ascalante. That's a good place start.
Speaker 2: Neil Harbers a legend. So he looks pretty epic.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is. He gonna change your life. Uh? Okay, so he uh, He's made an art out of coughing into the microphone. Okay, so the food fighters, what did they do their songs being played at Trump rallies like and then what everyone does always says I. You know, if they're a liberal musician, they say, I, I rebuke you candidate for playing my song at your convention rally at like let's say, the Honda Center. How dare you? I did not give you permission. You stole that song, just like you're about to steal the souls of our nation if you get elected that. They say stuff like that, and you are an evil person and you and this is an example why no one should vote for you, because you stole this music. Now, anybody who listens to this show knows that when they do these conventions, they go to a place like the Honda Center or the Forum that has already bought a blanket license to operate their building, to allow any music to be performed in that building. And they're blanket licenses, so you can't pick out songs that are not allowed. So anybody going into these buildings can play any song they want. And then the artists come out and they sound all indignant like they stole that they didn't they'd had no permission. Just the whole idea of saying a politician used your song without permission makes people hate that politician when it's not true. It is a lie, and that artists did give them permission because they signed over a contract with Disney Plus. And in the Disney Plus agreement, there's something in there that says your blanket license will will be played everywhere and anywhere that we give a license like a cat B and I or CEASAC. It's not really Disney Plus, but it might as well be. So all these and all Track is another performance rights organization for you young musicians. All Track is one partially owned by your host, Joey'scalante. Thank you. So these are the people that are in charge of deciding of going out and getting money for you. So they sell the blanket license to these venues. You have no choice. What did the food fighters do? The food fighters said, we didn't clear it with them. They were a little more vague. They didn't cut out and lie and say what they used it withou permission? They said, hey, you know, that's not on us. We didn't you know, they didn't ask permission and we would not have granted it, but they wouldn't have been able to deny it. That's the big point. If they ask permission, they say no, but they don't have to ask permission. So he said, we didn't ask permission. They didn't ask permission, but he recognized that they will get money for it, and they will donate that to the Harris campaign. That's all you have to do if you hate Donald Trump, to say, hey, there's nothing we can do about that. It's a teachable moment. We will give the money. Any money we get, we'll give to the Harris campaign. I feel sorry for the bookkeeper that has to go and find out which to allocate that money. But it's a great statement. Another reason why Foo Fighters are one of the greatest rock and roll bands in the history of rock and roll bands, and why Zach Galifanakis is one of the greatest comic actors of our time. Do you guys have any comment on that?
Speaker 2: You are correct, Thank you, But Nikki.
Speaker 1: Did you know that about Have you heard about this, like, you know, people complaining that they're using songs with that permission?
Speaker 3: No, but I didn't know anything about the blanket contracts basically that allowed people to have access to all of that and wait, this all track thing, I took a look online and it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: I'll need you to explain this to me a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more about how this is beneficial for artists. Yeah, to new artist, I'm just super curious.
Speaker 1: It's the same as BMI and ASCAT and c SEC, but it's like a new upstart, smaller going after more independent artists and helping them not only sign up to when if you sign up for askat, B and and C sectors, they're giant and they're not going to really work for you unless you're huge. But this organization will work for you harder, and then they will take care of all these other mystical neighboring rights they called. They are called like sound exchange and getting a digital payments for a lot of digital stuff that is confusing is falling through the cracks. So that's all track dot com. You can see that and join up if you're a new band or or send a message to me and I will tell you all about it. And then the blanket licenses is a The blanket license is just a fact of life. I'll tell you one more thing about it when we come back from the break. Joe Scalante Life from Hollywood, h M h.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: Joe askant, here's my lawyer.
Speaker 2: You don't want money. He does it all for you and he knows.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, he knows.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe's Galante right here, right here, Live on k E. I b with the Business End of Show Business with producer Nikki and engineer Sam Uh. We were talking about the blanket license. I know it's a little dry, but I'll just one more thing I want to add to it, just so you know, when artists complained that their songs are being played at political campaigns, they have they already signed a paper that's that gave permission to the venue to do that, and then they pretend like they're they're incensed by it, which Sam you brought up a point, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it does it. Artist nowadays basically just complain about their music being used by politicians as it means to virtue signal to other people that they're against that that politician. There's no other reason for it because they I'm sure they know that there they their music can be used in any arena that has that's covered in this blanket agreement.
Speaker 1: So I think they don't know because they're stupid.
Speaker 2: Might be the case. I wouldn't I wouldn't put that past them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're stupid, My artists know. And then the blanket license. Also, an interesting thing about how I got interested in it is because I was an anti trust UH specialist in in law school. That was my field of specialization. They don't give it, really give an official one, but you know, you choose all these courses, and I just kept taking anti trust course after course, after seminar, after paper, and then I ended up writing a paper about how the blanket license is a violation of the Sherman Anti Trust Act because it makes the networks and all of buyers pay the same amount of money for the Taylor Swift song as they do for the Vandal song. So that doesn't the Vandal song is worth infinitely less, but the vandals are not. The vandals are not allowed to charge less to break into the market because you have to charge the same amount of money as Taylor Swift does for your for your songs to be to be exhibited on TV or or on the radio.
Speaker 2: Fascinating, So I think it's like gate keeping a lot of the yeah stuff from.
Speaker 3: Those Yeah, it's like watching the highest bidder.
Speaker 1: Right, there's no high spidder there's no market involved. It is a bunch of h just industry types at bamboozled the Supreme Court into creating these and the government and creating these and improving these consent decrees that would say, okay, you can have this low monopoly and have price fixing because it's just too complicated otherwise. So my whole thing, my whole paper that I wrote and was actually published in the Western Law School some school, not my school, published it in their lot review was No, I laid out a whole way you could just do that. I mean all you do is, you know, find out which songs are being played, and everybody you know it gets paid differently, and you can use cheap songs and blah blah blah. Maybe patriotic songs are free. I don't know. Anyway, too boring. But we had another story recently about Matthew Perry, the the late husband of Katy Perry, who had a ketamine overdose and then the doctors are going to jail, and there was an article what do you have on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it wasn't just the doctors who are in some hot water for this, but also you know, his personal pa, like his live and assistant who is preparing himself for prison basically because he was asked by Matthew Perry to inject him with the lethal dose of ketamine, which is really tough. I mean, I know a lot of people who have been pas who have.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've had tough jobs in the Oh, no joke, I mean Hollywood worker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true. I mean I'm lucky that I've never had something that morally questionable come into my way. But you do kind of accept that you're going to deal with a lot of behavior that if someone were to tweet about it, you know, everybody would be in big trouble. But you just accept it because you're trying to get your foot in the door. You're trying to do this in that But that that age of giving in to these questionable requests from your advisors or superiors is obviously not over or even close to being over. It's extremely unfortunate because I'm sure that this living assistant was.
Speaker 1: Wanting.
Speaker 3: I mean, his LinkedIn profile even said stuff like I'm discreet, I'm loyal, and I honor absolute confidentiality, and.
Speaker 1: Like very clearly he did.
Speaker 3: But of course that comes with the cost of giving in to your employer's every need, including things that are super harmful. So it's really unfortunate that this is something that like, God, I can only imagine, you know, trying to do their job well and you know, you kill somebody.
Speaker 1: And the producer, I mean, the actor or whatever the celebrity is. They only surround themselves with people that demand you know, little of them. They don't surround themselves to people who who call them out on things and so and whoever calls them out. I'm sure Matthew Perry had a circle of friends and employees that were decent people that just had to walk away and say I can't, I can't be a part of this guy's demise. And the people that were there, I don't want to judge him because they you know, had their own reasons for the hanging around. It could be like this guy is like, well, I'm you know, trying to pay for my lung transplant for my you know, grandmother or whatever. Who knows the stories. But they get themselves in a pickle. And the celebrities can be can be tough to work for. Yeah, read a person that can they can do that definitely.
Speaker 3: Actually, I have an experience from just this last week that I thought was really interesting. It wasn't necessarily a nefarious Necessarily that sounds like it was a little bit. It wasn't nefarious at all, but it was one of the interactions that I think I've never seen in person. I was kind of I was at a music event and I was witnessing a conversation between three people. It was a very important, uh, music booker and a musician and the personal assistant, and the very important music booker was looking at the musician kind of speaking to him and and and directing his words towards his assistant, like how about you have this person come over tomorrow? And this was like, yeah, sounds good, and all the while the music booker is looking at the musician but but not speaking to him. And I was just like, I think I've never seen this in my life. Like not, it wasn't crazy, it wasn't even a bad thing necessarily, but I was like, this is a this is just a strange dynamic that I've never seen take place in front of my own eyes, like having a conversation with someone by looking at them but not speaking to them even a word.
Speaker 1: That's like this story I heard about some politician gets in an elevator with his assistant and stands by the other people come stands by the buttons. He's standing by the buttons, and the the the assistant is in it is standing there too, but he's not by the buttons. And then the politician says, this button is not going to press itself. Okay, don't press buttons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the being out of touch with reality can can be, you know, kind of funny and small. But in other examples and kind of the things that I read related to this situation with Matthew Perry, I mean, there were accusations that alleged that some people were being asked to sleep in their bosses beds with them, even if it.
Speaker 2: Was just that alone.
Speaker 3: Like, that's an extremely inappropriate ask to when you're.
Speaker 1: On the job. That's the that's the top of the inappropriate ass I've never asked Sam to to to sleep, not even once, even on the night.
Speaker 2: No, I seriously, I feel like I'm I'm feeling serious fomo on this one.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, that has that doesn't actually count because he has volunteered many times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Sam, well, actually, the the the foot massages I have to I used to give less moon vests were voluntary. I just want to say that he didn't. I didn't have to do it, but I did. When I was a PA and I was an artissistant in productions, it was hard and people were really mean and they would make me cry, make me cry.
Speaker 3: They were so true.
Speaker 1: I have cried.
Speaker 3: I have died with the way that some people have talked to me. That is bad.
Speaker 1: So I like it when this gets out, Like people start talking about bad bosses, bad bosses because the bad bosses they don't go away. But I think there is a lot less of them then there used to be in Hollywood because of these stories that get out because there's cell phones and oh stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Actually, no, this is reminding me of a story that happened to a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: Sam. How much time do we have for this story? You gotta tell me we don't have much.
Speaker 3: Basically, someone was at work, was accused of doing something that they didn't do. I'll just say it was it was entertainment related, and they received the nastiest text from their former employer that I could even imagine, basically saying they were blacklisted. No one was going to ever want to work with them again and that they they had hoped that no one would ever disappoint they would never disappoint another team like they did in this situation for something they did not do. And it was my friend had just moved here to work in this industry and this was the first message that they got for something that they did not do on set.
Speaker 1: So that was being chewed up and spit out, and he was ever working this story again. And you show business isn't for everybody, so.
Speaker 3: I mean, luckily, luckily, this person immediately got another gig because they're extremely talented and was actually invited to the rat party from the same boss that sent this message for that previous production. It was a bizarre way to treat employee at all. So luckily, you know, this guy is doing just fine because he wasn't guilty of the charges brought against him. But my god, it was the most cruel text I'd ever seen from someone.
Speaker 1: Now, only in show business, I will tell you, only in show business do people get this nasty and one mistake and your cut, like I'm I'm more, uh, one mistake, two mistakes, three mistakes, you know, then you're cut. But in most of the people in show business, one mistake. You are cut right, We're still here, Joe, all right, Well, yeah exactly. You've got a couple more coming. All right, let's end this segment right there, Joe Ascalante live from Hollywood. How about a taste of the just a little bit of the greatest song ever written, And we'll see you next Sunday. To E.
Speaker 3: I B.