Speaker 1: Time for stray science. Science.
Speaker 2: It's like weird science, but strange love.
Speaker 1: It comes out of a patience.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you ever notice how a flamingo eats? They call it captivating captivating leaf peculiar.
Speaker 1: That is, they bob their.
Speaker 2: Inverted heads in the water and do a wattle chochaw as they inch their way across shallow water. No, I don't want to look at that anymore. Geez, that is, I don't that's so unnecessary.
Speaker 1: Never get that out of you. No, and now I'm not have to do an extra sleep meditation.
Speaker 3: Let me give you one.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. I was gonna whisper it to you, so you're gonna whisper it to me? What was that going to be?
Speaker 3: Wattle jod job?
Speaker 1: I hate you and everything you are.
Speaker 3: The flamingos inched their way across the water, shallow water. They filter feed these little small crustaceans and insects and the microscopic algae and other tiny aquatic morsels.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The guy who saw this is an integrative biologist at U SEE Berkeley, a guy named Victor Ortega Jimenez. He was on a trip with his wife and kid at the Atlanta zoo.
Speaker 2: Isn't that fascinating that a biologist would choose to go to a zoo as part of his vacation, Like.
Speaker 1: That's his work. He didn't want to get away from it, nerd.
Speaker 3: So he really he wanted to know what was going on beneath the water. You can't see what's going on down there, obviously, so he said he actually looked it up and couldn't find any description of what was happening in the scientific literature.
Speaker 1: I pissed off is Victor's wife.
Speaker 2: Like Victor is a biologist, he spends long days working at Berkeley studying animals. Victor does. Finally the wife is able to pull them away. They've got a little kid, and she's like, let's go to Atlanta. We can go to Magic City, we can do the things, and Victor's like cool. And day three of their trip, Victor's like, let's go to the zoo. And Victor sees this flamingo flamingoing and is captivated and then decides to spend hours doing what his wife pulled him away from at Berkeley. All she wants is to go get some wings at Magic City.
Speaker 1: And there's Victor.
Speaker 2: There's Victor obsessed over the flamingos, Yes with the kid.
Speaker 1: Several years of research.
Speaker 3: After this trip to the Atlanta Zoo, he and his colleagues arrive at a discovery described this week in the proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. He said that flamingos are active predators. They don't just scoop up with water hoping that there's stuff in it. They actually harness the physics of how water flows to sweep up the prey and funnel it directly into their mouths. They're not passive filter feeders. Flamingos produce vortices. Already knows that.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, cool about the vortases. How about those lou will wings. Honey, we leave the zoo now, we can make it there for dinner.
Speaker 3: Zoo keepers in Nashville actually trained the birds to feed in a clear container, which allowed the scientists to record what was happening using the high speed cameras, even fluid dynamic methods with dye in the water and things like that. The scientists would generate oxygen bubbles and then add food particles to measure and visualize the flow of the water as the birds were feeding. They initially did this with live birds, and then they built a three D model of a flamingo head and used it more to more precisely explore the bird's biomechanics. Now, I don't know what. Yes, this is an amazing finding, But to what end do we now know more about our world around us? Yes? But does it feed more people? Does it help us in any way? That's the part I don't quite get about it. Doctor Ortegajimenez also said that what the birds do with their feet they explored using the mechanical flamingo foot and computational modeling, the dancing motion of their web dependages underwater produced more vortices that pushed even more particles towards their birds mouths as they fed upside down in the water. And they said, when you do these things together, the flamingos are highly specialized super feeding machines that use their entire body for feeding. I dated her in college. Ones another biologist and so grow biophysicistic cornell a not involved with the study, did say, this is an outstanding demonstration of how biological for and motion can control the surrounding fluid to serve a functional role.
Speaker 2: Angela no oh no, it's a different different.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a whole What you called Angela on Monday? Nothing?
Speaker 3: I said a name?
Speaker 1: Yeah what did I say? I think you were saying it to make me feel better. Oh yes, I was trying to diffuse the situation. Yeah, I appreciate that humor does it was really nice? Thank you?
Speaker 2: You know how I like name calling of others to make myself feel better. The John Cobalt shows coming up next. I did not know this, but the listener who won the auction item as to be co host with John is coming in today.
Speaker 1: That is must listen. I'm glad. I'm going to be in the car for a while.
Speaker 3: Where are you going?
Speaker 1: Where am I going home? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Oh well, hey maybe in our secrets of me, I don't care. Maybe I haven't gotten Magic City Wings out of my head. Maybe I'm hitting the road, hitting the ten away from that pursuit.
Speaker 3: Guy, Atlanta?
Speaker 1: Does it go there?
Speaker 3: I think the forty goes to Atlanta. I mean, you could get a lot of the way there on the ten, but I.
Speaker 1: Think you've got to make it. You got to make a lane change at some point.
Speaker 3: If you missed any part of the show, go back and check out the podcast right after the show. Now it's going to be posted. So if you subscribe to the podcast, which is a great idea.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, if you subscribe to one thing only, it should be the podcast, just because there's so much fun stuff in there, like the new podcast that comes out on Saturdays.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's really dirty. It's something far pretty high there. It's really it is.
Speaker 2: And I get to pick the topic this week and guess what it is really dirty?
Speaker 1: The wattle Chatcha