Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last segment, we were talking about.
Speaker 3: Liking people that you love or loving people that you don't like, and can that happen in your life?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, the better question would be do you know anybody that's still married and little party? We have several friends that do that.
Speaker 5: And I don't know.
Speaker 4: If it's the cheaper the keeper analogy or.
Speaker 1: What, but.
Speaker 2: Love your show live apart like actual different houses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's cheaper than getting a Getting a divorce is very expensive.
Speaker 3: Even if it's not contested, even if you're I gotta go. When does that happen?
Speaker 6: When is it not? When is it mutual like that and not messy? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I I was just over at my brother's house and he's got a his girlfriend's got a family member who refuses to stop working because then his ex wife would get some of the pension.
Speaker 6: Serious, and he's like, eighty.
Speaker 5: What it?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you that you hate somebody that much? Yeah, that's not even you just fell out of like with them. You hate them at that point and whatever.
Speaker 2: I disagree with my wife.
Speaker 7: She says I'm too dismissive because I don't argue, so I can't win either way.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I used to get mad at my husband for that because he his thing in an argument is just to not respond to me.
Speaker 6: And that used to make when I was younger, more hot headed.
Speaker 1: That used to drive me insane, like why aren't you saying anything?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 6: Oh, you don't care enough to say anything, and that you know where that it's you absolutely nowhere.
Speaker 2: It gets you more angry.
Speaker 1: Right, you're making yourself you're getting Yeah, you're working yourself up and you're not making any headway. And the argument or conversation that's, you know, gotten into argument territory.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to ask him some questions.
Speaker 1: Oh really, because I'm not Did you get a text from my husband?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: No, I just got I mean maybe we just put it down. Huh.
Speaker 1: Maybe we've already burned our hands on this stovey.
Speaker 8: Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 9: I know someone that moved out got back together.
Speaker 2: I had to.
Speaker 9: Help him with another friend move out and into a new apartment.
Speaker 8: Down the street. And it was so bad. He was so bad at dating. It was ridiculous. It was pathetic.
Speaker 2: He ended up moving back and I told.
Speaker 8: Him I help you move once. I'm not going to help you move again. This is ridiculous. They're still together, more or less not really happy.
Speaker 2: Put together that story.
Speaker 6: Can we hear a tale of love?
Speaker 5: We don't have.
Speaker 6: Do we have any tales of love?
Speaker 2: No? No, no love tales. Maybe that's what Richie was trying to describe for us.
Speaker 6: Love tales.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't listen because I looked at you and you looked very uncomfortable, and I didn't know what was being talked about because I was reading my newspaper.
Speaker 6: What else is my old folks home over here?
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for what's happening? Well, we mentioned this throughout the day.
Speaker 3: Israeli special forces have been carrying out targeted raids into southern Lebanon. They're trying to gather intelligence ahead of what could be a ground incursion that could come as soon as this week. A couple of different media outlets are reporting that tanks have been gathering there in northern Israel along the border with Lebanon. One Israeli official said if there is to be a border ground operation, it would feature localized limited raids against Hesbola targets along the border, with the objective of destroying the capabilities of their forces. The US has been trying to urge some sort of diplomatic solution and to keep any ground operation targeted well.
Speaker 1: There is a big internet outage phone cell phone outage.
Speaker 6: It looks like user reports for.
Speaker 1: Problems with Verizon AT and T and T Mobile have spiked on a site that tracks outages. Verizon surpassed one hundred thousand outage reports around eight am hour time. These reports have decreased to about sixty three thousand as of about an hour ago. Some Verizon customers on social media, including those who say they are not in a storm zone, say their phones are in SOS mode. This happened back in August during a widespread outage for AT and T. It means that a phone's unable to connect to the cellular provider's network but can still make emergency calls. Is it China's I was.
Speaker 3: Just gonna say, I hope there's nothing the farious behind it, but gives you an idea of how much we rely on these things for communications. Officially autumn, but obviously it's going to be triple digit temperatures for the next few days. High temperatures today across the Southland about eighty eight and downtown LA easily over one hundred. In the Valley burbank here we'll see about ninety five thousand oaks one oh one. It is expected to peak this heat, but probably on Wednesday.
Speaker 6: Can't wait.
Speaker 3: The deadly hijacking of that La Metro bus last week raised a bunch of concerns about public safety.
Speaker 2: That was wednesday.
Speaker 3: Metro Board chair LA County Supervisor Janis Hahn says public safety for the writers as well as employees, has been one of her top priorities. But before she gets into too much, she wanted to give condolences to the family. Two things that she said were amazing. We had one of those bus barriers around the driver so that the gunman couldn't take control of the bus like what happened last year when the bus crashed into the Ritz Carlton. And then she talked specifically about whether or not they're going to be able to keep Metro and buses and trains, et cetera safe. Going forward to Kembe Mutumbo died Basketball Hall of Famer, to Kenbi Mutumbo, known for his shot blocking and his big finger wave, apparently died from brain cancer at the age of fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Got a text message from one of our friends. Don't effing start with me. At least I fought for custody and the cuckoo pants can have the money. Looks like we've ruffled some feathers here today. I'm the Garyan Shannon Show. Massive US Port strike is just hours away coming up next, How this will affect you and us and everybody else, and what to look for.
Speaker 8: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty. Gary and Shannon loved the show. Listen.
Speaker 9: The best thing my wife and I learned in thirty six years of marriage was that we both argued differently.
Speaker 8: And that's okay. She's a great arguer. I suck.
Speaker 9: So I let's let her offload everything that has annoyed her and that she's mad about, and then I just take it and I process it differently. So I think about it and I promise that within twenty four to forty eight hours we come back and talk it out.
Speaker 8: It has really gotten rid of arguments.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a great advice, you know, What I don't like, though, is the circle back, like, because I know I've become an.
Speaker 2: Irrational I don't want to be reminded.
Speaker 1: Don't want to be reminded like, oh yeah, I could have handled that differently. But you're right, that's a very healthy way of doing it if you process things differently.
Speaker 10: That's hey, Gary Hay Shannon. My biological grandfather divorced my stepgrandmother and then married her again, and they remained married until he died a few years ago. But they had separated again for the last few years of his wife and he had a girlfriend and my step grandmother lived like state away.
Speaker 6: So what a wild ride?
Speaker 7: Yeah, uh yeah, the relationship thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I got a daughter that's almost thirteen years old. She's awesome. She's the most beautiful, wonderful thing that's ever happened in my life. And her mom wanted a divorce, so we got a divorce. But we're getting back together, but not really getting back together to live in the same house to pay bills.
Speaker 2: That's about it.
Speaker 6: That's well, and raise the daughter and raise the daughter.
Speaker 2: That's a I would use the word brave arrangements.
Speaker 6: It was unselfish.
Speaker 3: Also, that's a great, that's a better word than brave. But that's not easy. No, that's not going to be an easy arrangement.
Speaker 1: No, but if you're co parenting anyway, it might make some of the logistics easier. You know, they may have done a cost benefit analysis of you know. Yes, it's difficult, but it would be more difficult if we were in separate households with money and logistics and picks.
Speaker 6: Did they pay the bills you know and all that. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, this is Rick in Clarksville, Tennessee, and I just wanted to let you know that I have been married to my beautiful wife for thirty years this year, and we have our ups and down with them. Man, we love each other and we do everything together and enjoy our lives together, and we're just thankful we have each other.
Speaker 2: So I see this all.
Speaker 3: I think in the most successful relationships that I see, it's that people like spending time with each other.
Speaker 2: Period. Yes, I mean I was I don't want to say surprised.
Speaker 3: I was happily reinforced how much I like my wife as a person. When we went on vacation for a couple of weeks, because to be honest, there was.
Speaker 2: A lot of just the two of us and it was fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean fine like we got through it. I mean there was no pressure, There was no uh, it never felt like it was a hassle, like I get it.
Speaker 6: Walked away from this person or I'm annoyed.
Speaker 2: Around in a fun little town you've never seen before and.
Speaker 1: Traveled as wonders for relationships, I think because you lean on each other too when you're in an unfamiliar place as well, just to have that.
Speaker 2: Couldn't it go the other way? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that's when but that but you should know that by now, Like that's something you should learn in the beginning of a relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, here he.
Speaker 4: Said to Jesse, I love my wife. Been together since nineteen eighty September twenty sixth, forty four years.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 4: But she gives me a look.
Speaker 2: It's like huh not and out I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Or I'll say you're talking too much, that makes you fu Or we'll be in a minute of possible and she'll say, you're crouching unied it Now.
Speaker 3: The reason we're still together is space of communication.
Speaker 2: She communicates to me and I listen.
Speaker 3: He's also on the road eighty hours a week. It's always helpful.
Speaker 2: Probably helped a little bit.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 3: Two Monday night football games tonight to tell you about as we wrap up our.
Speaker 2: What is this week four?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Week four?
Speaker 3: So Tennessee at My Hammy Miami is the game that starts at about four o'clock and then Seattle Detroit starts at about five thirty.
Speaker 2: Chargers lost to the Chiefs seventeen to ten.
Speaker 3: They had a nice ten point lead to begin right, and then there was what a fifty six yard they just.
Speaker 1: They sputtered on offense. They couldn't get anything going. It was just a six consecutive pot punts for both teams, maybe seven.
Speaker 6: It was awful. It was the offensive line.
Speaker 1: The injuries were a glaringly obvious Justin sacked, no time pressured.
Speaker 6: It was awful.
Speaker 2: But he's not and Patrick.
Speaker 6: Mahomes and Travis Kelsey they can turn it on.
Speaker 1: You know, this narrative that Travis Kelsey has washed, that's what they wanted the narrative to be. And then they just decide when to use him and they start using him and boom, he's Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 3: That is the ultimate amount, the ultimate decider of talent or proof of talent perhaps, or is it just innate skill that they've got that they can turn it on like.
Speaker 1: That, Well, and it's just to fool people and to screw with people's heads, teams heads. Andy Reid is great at all that, so is Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes you can never count out.
Speaker 3: So is that the way that the Chiefs are just going to start spotting team's ten points like that and then come back.
Speaker 6: That's what they've been doing as the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of which, they had a good win yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brock perty has solidified himself where he should be at the top of the of the quarterback rankings because that has been a knock on him.
Speaker 6: We'll look at all the weapons he has.
Speaker 1: He's got McCaffrey, he's got Kittle, he's got Debo, he's got juwan Ja, he's got all these guys, and you know what he's had to do without for a few weeks, and he just he looks great and he's such a I mean, he gets a close up at the camera and he's like, hi, mom, you.
Speaker 6: Know, so lovable, so lovable.
Speaker 3: On the baseball end of things, the Dodgers, of course, ended their regular season with two to one win yesterday against the Rockies. The National League Division Series don't start until next weekend. We have to get some things figured out before then. The Mets and Braves are playing right now. The Mets have actually come back and are now leading the Braves six to three thanks to a couple of home runs that were just hit.
Speaker 2: So they played.
Speaker 6: Say it was tied at three, I look away, I look back at six to three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are playing a double header today. This is the first game. If either team sweeps wins both of these games, then the Arizona Diamondbacks amazingly would make their way into the playoffs. But if they split these two games, the Diamondbacks lose. Both the Mets and Braves stay in and then the actual Wildcards series, the best the two out of three series will start tomorrow and whatever team, if they're both in it, whatever, they're going to have to travel right away and go to either I think it's Philadelphia or Milwaukee to play in the Wildcard Series.
Speaker 1: Big problems coming for the US supply chain as thousands, tens of thousands of DOC workers maybe walking off the job at midnight we'll get an update on.
Speaker 6: The stalemate. I guess with the two sides when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Well, it looks like a massive port strike is upon US union representing DOC workers signaled that forty five thousand members will walk off the job at midnight, shutting down ports across the East and Gulf coasts. Joining US now Derek Dennis with ABC News on what we know and how this is going to affect our supply chain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it could be crippling in a word. You mentioned it a midnight deadline tonight for these workers to strike a deal with the companies that employ them, or they could we'll hit the pigot line. Essentially. We're talking about dock workers at ports from Maine to Maryland, Miami to Texas, along the East Coast and in the Southeast, you know, that are threatening to walk off. They want a hefty pay raise, and they want guarantees against automation, losing their jobs to automation. Complicated matters, for sure, but both sides appear to be very far apart. Even as the hours tick by, I mean, we're literally down to the wire on this and there's still no agreement.
Speaker 3: Have wholesalers of retailer have they been able to plan for this? I mean, is there a lot of pre ordering going on to move some of that stuff through before the ports shutdown?
Speaker 4: You know, we asked that to a couple of retailers and they say they've been watching it closely, that they expected an agreement by now, and so yes, in some sense they've stockpiled.
Speaker 2: Some things just because.
Speaker 4: But big plans, as far as we can tell that ABC News have not been put into place yet. You know, you get the sense that they're scrambling now, companies like Walmart, Target, you know, other big retailers that depend on goods and items coming from overseas, that they they're scrambling to sort of check their inventory, see what they've got on hand, and crossing their fingers that if there is a strike, it doesn't last long.
Speaker 6: So where how far apart of these sides?
Speaker 4: So, you know, we check the number the companies have offered about a forty percent pay raise to these workers. The workers want seventy seven percent reported rais and that sounds staggering, but when you think about it, the workers are arguing that you know, with the explosion of online shopping in recent years, a lot of goods and certain and items have been coming from overseas and they are the workers that are up, you know, offloading these ships of cargo. And so they're seeing the amount of bulk supplies that are coming in and they say, these companies are raking in record profits and they want a piece of the pie. And on the automation demand, you know, they're worried that the companies will eliminate their jobs and take advantage of the technology that's there, that's in place, and have less workers on the job. They want to protect against that, not just for them, but for the workers who come up years later behind them.
Speaker 3: So what do they do in the event that this thing shuts down? To do all of these cargo ships reroute and go to? Do they come over here to West Coast ports? Are there any other options for them?
Speaker 4: So you know, they'll be held in limbo for at least for bit to see how things go. You know, if the shrike happens, then it's resolved in a couple of days, there's no big impact.
Speaker 8: But if it.
Speaker 4: Lingers, yeah, re rolly would have to happen but it would go to ports on the other side of the country, which might as well be on the other side of the world. You know, to reroute a shift from the port of Baltimore to the Port of San Diego is not a small feed and it doesn't happen quickly, and so there really is pressure on both sides to strike a deal.
Speaker 6: Derek, thank you for the update. Will We'll stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Sure, Derek Tennis there reporting for US and for ABC News. There is also a concern that this has some sort of impact on the election. This is going to put President Biden in a tricky spot because he could intervene in a labor dispute that would threaten national security or safety. He could do though, He could do so by imposing what amounts to an eighty day cooling off period, and that would force workers back into the jobs while.
Speaker 2: The negotiations continue.
Speaker 3: About twenty years little more than twenty years ago, President Bush W. Bush intervened to open the ports after eleven days of a strike action by dock workers here on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: So there is there is the ability for the president to step in.
Speaker 3: It's just the comments that he made yesterday make it sound as if he's not interested in using that.
Speaker 2: Mechanism at least at least not yet.
Speaker 6: Chris Christofferson died over the weekend, eighty eight years old.
Speaker 1: He had a job of sweeping floors in Nashville and nineteen sixty five ran into June. Carter gave her a tape to give to Johnny, and he threw it on the pile with all his other tapes. He still needed Johnny Cash's attention, so he decided to take a helicopter and land it on Johnny Cash's front lawn with a beer in one hand and his music in the other.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that for mixtape Monday when we come back. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.