Speaker 1: I want you to just close your eyes per second and put yourself in a very specific, like incredibly terrifying scenario.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: So you are sitting in the cabin of a Boeing seven forty seven. You are thirty seven thousand feet up, flying through the pitch black night over the vast, totally empty expanse of the Indian.
Speaker 2: Ocean, just miles of dark water below.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, And you look at your window and instead of just darkness, you see this shimmering, ghostly white light just kind of clinging to the wings of the airplane. Oh wow, But it actually gets worse because a few seconds later you see forty foot jets of solid flame shooting straight out of the back of the engines.
Speaker 2: I mean, the visual alone is horrifying. Yeah, and the physical sensation inside that cabin would have been just as alarming, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 2: Because the deafening, steady roar of those massive jet engines, it starts to grind and choke. Survivors actually later describe it sounding like a concrete mixer just grinding up, and.
Speaker 1: Then absolute dead silence. All four engines are gone. You are literally falling out of the sky.
Speaker 2: It's the ultimate nightmare scenario, it really is. And well, welcome to this deep dive today. We are stepping into the rolls of aviation experts and accident investigators and we have a very specific mission.
Speaker 1: Right We're going to forensically examine three harrowing true stories of mid air emergencies from the nineteen seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're doing this because, frankly, every single time you board a commercial flight today, the safety features you take conpolitely for granted, from the tiny lights on the floor aisle to the hidden mechanics of the cargo doors right below your feet, they were all paid for by the terrifying ordeals of the passengers and crews in the stories we're unpacking today.
Speaker 1: Exactly, the safety of modern air travel is quite literally written in blood and near misses.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is an incredibly robust system today precisely because it was built on learning from these catastrophic, just unthinkable failures of the past.
Speaker 2: So let's start with that silence seven four to seven falling over the ocean. This is British Airways flight nine June nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: It's a routine flight cruising over Indonesia heading to Australia, the crew is fresh, everything seems completely fine. Radar actually shows smooth sailing for hundreds of miles.
Speaker 2: Ahead, nothing on the screens at all.
Speaker 1: Nothing. But then the passengers start noticing this ominous creeping haze just kind of filling the cabin.
Speaker 2: And you know, in nineteen eighty two, smoking was actually still allowed on airplanes.
Speaker 1: Oh right, I always forget that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a little haze wasn't immediately alarming to people, but the cabin crew quickly realized this smoke was entirely different. Oh so, well, it was thick, and it smelt heavily of sulfur, almost like a really strong electrical fire mixed with struck matches.
Speaker 1: That is not what you want to smell at thirty seven thousand feet.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. So they initiated this quiet, intense search for a fire inside the cabin, pulling up carpets and checking laboratories, but they couldn't find a single lane anywhere.
Speaker 1: Because the problem wasn't actually inside the plane. Right up in the cockpit, the flight crew start seeing these intense, blinding pricks of light completely covering the windshield, which is terrifying. It looks exactly like Sane Almo's fire, which is a phenomenon you usually only see when flying through highly charged thunderclouds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's electrical discharge.
Speaker 1: But they are looking at their weather radar and the screen is completely clear, like there is not a single rain cloud in the sky.
Speaker 2: The psychological toll of that confusion is just it's hard to overstate. You have a brilliant white, shimmering light essentially blinding the pilots, right yeah, and passengers are watching massive flames shoot out of the engines, but the instruments are telling the crew that the sky is perfectly clear. It makes no sense none, And then one by one the engine surge make that horrible concrete mixer grading sound, and they simply die, all four of them, all four within a minute and a half. They go from a healthy four engine jumbo jet to a three hundred ton metal.
Speaker 1: Glider plunging from thirty seven thousand feet and you know, the autopilot doesn't even disengage the way it's supposed to do in the training simulators. Oh really, Yeah, So the crew has to start a manual engine restart drill, which is this incredibly complex checklist that normally takes three full minutes to execute.
Speaker 2: And time is the one thing they don't have exactly.
Speaker 1: They calculate their descent rate and figure they only have about ten chances to get an engine going before they hit the freezing waters of the Indian Ocean.
Speaker 2: And compounding all of this is the immediate loss of cabin.
Speaker 1: Pressure, right because the engines control that exactly.
Speaker 2: The jet engines are what actually pump pressurized air into the cabin to keep everyone breathing at high altitudes. So without the engines, the cabin pressure drops rapidly to match the deadly thin air outside.
Speaker 1: So absolute panic sets in the yellow oxygen masks drop from the ceiling. But and this is just the worst timing, the first officer's mask is broken. Oh no, yeah, the tube literally separates from the mask right in his hands. So the captain is forced to make a terrifying maneuver.
Speaker 2: To get to lower altitude right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to save his co pilot from passing out. He has to put this massive engineless plane into a steep roller coaster dive, dropping six thousand feet in a single.
Speaker 2: Minute, just to reach an altitude where the air is thick enough for his crew to actually breathe exactly. I mean, that is an incredible display of airmanship, just acting entirely on instinct. But dropping altitude forces another terrifying geographic reality on them.
Speaker 1: The mountains.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, there is a massive jagged mountain range stretching across the island of Java, directly in their flight path.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They need to be at least eleven five hundred feet high just to clear those peaks. But they are bleeding altitude so fast.
Speaker 1: So Captain has to make an impossible choice. Does he ditch the plane and the pitch black ocean, which is a maneuver he has literally never practiced outside of a simulator, or does he risk crashing blindly into the mountains. He decides, if they don't get an engine started in the next few minutes, he will turn the plane around and take his chances with the ocean.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So they are running the restart drill over and over fifty times, maybe more, and then a miracle happens.
Speaker 2: They get one going.
Speaker 1: Yes, just as they're running out of altitude, engine number four suddenly roars back to life, and then a few moments later engine through kitches. Then the final two.
Speaker 2: That is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are back in business. They divert to Jakarta, and somehow, despite their windshield being completely sand blasted opaque, and their ground guidance equipment failing at the airport, they manually land the plane safely.
Speaker 2: So everyone survives. But the mystery for the accident investigators was really just beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they had no idea what happened.
Speaker 2: Right when they looked at the plane the next morning on the tarmac, the paint was completely stripped off the leading edges. The windshield was deeply scarred and frosted over.
Speaker 1: So I'm putting myself in the shoes of investigator Malcolm Greyburn here. He strips down these massive engines and finds the internal components completely choked with fine dust, ground up rock and sand.
Speaker 2: Which points to one very specific geological event.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It turns out that exact night, Mount glongung, a volcano like one hundred and sixty kilometers away, had erupted violently. Flight nine had flown blindly into a massive ash.
Speaker 2: Cloud, completely invisible to them.
Speaker 1: Right, but wait, I have to stop you here. I've always wondered about this volcanic ash is just rock dust.
Speaker 2: Right, Basically, yes, shouldn't.
Speaker 1: A massive jet turbine spinning at thousands of RPMs just blow that dust straight out the exhaust? Like? Why would it kill the engine?
Speaker 2: Well, that is the logical assumption. But let's look at the temperatures inside a jet engine. An engine is essentially a continuous explosion. Okay, It sucks in air, compresses it, and ignites it with jet fuel at around two thousand degrees celsius. Now, volcanic ash is composed of pulverized rock and glass.
Speaker 1: Oh I see where this is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the melting point of that specific ash is around thirteen hundred degrees celsius.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So the engine is actual burning hotter than the melting point of the rock. It's like a giant blast furnace inhaling pulverized glass.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the ash ended the engine as a dry dust hit the combustion chamber and instantly melted into a sticky molten glass goo.
Speaker 1: That sounds disastrous.
Speaker 2: It was this molten rock completely coated the turbine blades, disrupting the precise aerodynamics needed to keep the engine running and ultimately suffocated the combustion process. That's what caused the engines to flame out.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that brings up an even bigger question. If the engines were choked with melted rock, how on earth did they magically restart before the plane hit the ocean.
Speaker 2: That is the ultimate aha moment of this investigation, and it all comes down to the physics of cooling.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain that.
Speaker 2: When the engines flamed out, they obviously stopped burning fuel right because they were no longer generating that two thousand degree heat. The internal metal rapidly cooled as the plane fell through the freezing high altitude air.
Speaker 1: Let me guess the molten glass goo cooled down right along with it.
Speaker 2: It did. The sticky ash solidified back into solid rock. But here's the trick. Because the metal engine blades and the glass ash contract at totally different rates. As they cool down, the ash became incredibly.
Speaker 1: Brittle, like hard candy exactly.
Speaker 2: So the sheer force of the air rushing through the dead wind milling engines simply shattered the brittle glass off the blades.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cooling down process actually cleared the airflow just in time for the crew to successfully re ignite the fuel.
Speaker 1: That is an unbelievable piece of luck driven by pure physics. It makes total sense why this altered global aviation volcanic ash is dry rock, It doesn't contain water, and standard weather radar on airplanes bounce as signals off moisture like rain or hail. So this massive, deadly cloud was totally invisible to their instruments, which.
Speaker 2: Is why today we have the volcanic ash Advisory Centers.
Speaker 1: Well that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this single incident forced a brand new line of communication between geologists whom want seismic activity and the international airlines that actually fly over those regions.
Speaker 1: So BA Flight nine is a story about trusting instruments that simply cannot see the invisible forces of nature. But our next case transitions us into something much.
Speaker 2: Darker, definitely darker.
Speaker 1: What happens when the hazard isn't an unpredictable act of nature, but a deliberate human choice. What happens when the instruments are literally lying to the pilots because of a fatal design flaw.
Speaker 2: Right, we're talking about the McDonald Douglas DC ten and a disaster driven entirely by corporate bureaucracy.
Speaker 1: So to understand this, we go back to June nineteen seventy two, American Airlines Flight ninety six, a brand new DC ten literally just the fifth one ever built, takes off from.
Speaker 2: Detroit, just a normal flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's climbing through eleven five hundred feet when suddenly the pilots here a massive bang followed by an explosive decompression.
Speaker 2: It's pure chaos in the cabin. The floor in the rear passenger section literally collapses downward into the cargo hold.
Speaker 1: I can't even picture that.
Speaker 2: It gets worse a coffin being transported down There is suck completely out of the airplane and falls to the earth.
Speaker 1: That is insane.
Speaker 2: But the most terrifying part isn't the hole in the plane. The severed floor takes out the vital control cables running underneath it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so they can't steer right.
Speaker 2: The crew loses control of the tail engine, the elevators, and the rudder, which is jammed hard to the right.
Speaker 1: Under normal circumstances, an aircraft with a jammed rudder and severed elevator cables is a boomed aircraft absolutely. But Captain Bryce McCormick performed an absolute masterclass and emergency flying with his primary control severed. He used differential engine thrust to steer the crippled plane.
Speaker 2: Explain how that works, because visualizing that is just wild.
Speaker 1: Okay, So think of it like being in a rowboat. If you pull both oars equally, you go straight right. If you only pull the left or the boat turns to the right. McCormick did the exact same thing with his wing.
Speaker 2: Engine, using the engines to steer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by throttling up the left engine and throttle down the right engine, the asymmetric thrust pushed the nose of the plane around, fighting the jammed rudder.
Speaker 2: That is brilliant.
Speaker 1: Using only engine power, he actually managed to muscle that plane back to Detroit for a safe landing.
Speaker 2: Absolute hero, So naturally the NTSB, the National Transportation Safety Board, gets involved. Investigator Chuck Miller looks at the plane and realizes the rear cargo door just blew completely off the hinges.
Speaker 1: And why did that happen?
Speaker 2: The reason comes down to a structural design choice. To maximize cargo space inside the belly of the plane, McDonald Douglas designed the cargo door to open outward like a normal house.
Speaker 1: Door, which is a highly dangerous design choice. For a pressurized toobe right, very dangerous.
Speaker 2: Most aircraft doors are what we call plug doors. To visualize a plug door, think of a bathtub stopper. Okay, you put it in from the inside. The more water pressure pushes down on it, the tighter it actually seals into the drain.
Speaker 1: Oh, like it seals itself exactly.
Speaker 2: A plug door on an airplane works the exact same way. The massive air pressure inside the cabin pushes the door tighter into the frame. It's physically impossible for it to.
Speaker 1: Blow out, right, That makes total sense.
Speaker 2: But an outward opening door is like trying to hold that baptub stopper from underneath the drain while the tub is full of water. It relies entirely on its mechanical locking latches to hold back thousands of pounds of outward.
Speaker 1: Pressure, and Chuck Miller finds the fatal flaw in those latches.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 1: Baggage handlers on the ground had to close a lever on the outside of the door to engage these locking pins, but the internal linkage was made of really thin.
Speaker 2: Metal, so it could bend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If the pins didn't ligne perfectly, a baggage handler could physically force the exterior lever down, sometimes literally using their knee for leverage and bend the internal metal rod, and.
Speaker 2: The lever would sit flush on the outside, making it look.
Speaker 1: Locked exactly and even worse, forcing the handle triggered the electronic sensor to turn off the warning light in the cockpit, so the pilot's instruments told them it was locked, but the door was essentially a ticking time bomb.
Speaker 2: And this explains the collapsed floor perfectly. An airplane cabin is pumped full of pressurized air so you can breathe. The cargo hold below is also pressurized, right, But when that cargo door bleue open, the pressure in the hold instantly vanished, So you suddenly had a cabin full of high pressure air sitting directly above a low pressure hole.
Speaker 1: So the air just rushes down.
Speaker 2: Yes, the air rapidly sought the exit, and the sheer force of that pressure equalization crushed the passenger floor downward, taking all those control cables with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the NTSB discovers this catastrophic mechanical flaw and the vulnerability of the floor in nineteen seventy two. My immediate thought is like, if I buy a new car, and the manufacturer finds out the brake lines can easily snap. There is a mandatory recall.
Speaker 2: Right, you ground the cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the FAA has the power to issue an airworthiness directive which legally forces all DC tens out of the sky until the locks and floors are fixed.
Speaker 2: And the NTSB strongly recommended the f do exactly that.
Speaker 1: But they didn't know.
Speaker 2: We have to look at the economic reality at the aviation industry at the time. Grounding a brand new billion dollar fleet of aircraft overnight would have crippled airlines and sent shockwaves through the global economy.
Speaker 1: So what do they do instead? Just let them fly?
Speaker 2: They engaged in what investigators later bitterly referred to as a gentleman's agreement.
Speaker 1: Oh that's sound shady.
Speaker 2: It was the head of the FAA and the president of McDonald douglas made a backroom deal. An airworthiness directive would have been a pr nightmare for McDonald douglas, who was locked in a fierce existential sales war against Boeing and Lockheed.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it was about money totally.
Speaker 2: So McDonald douglas promised to implement a fix voluntarily during routine maintenance, and the FAA agreed not to ground the planes.
Speaker 1: A voluntary fix for a door that blew off in midair. I'm sorry, but that is just infuriating, it really is, and it leads right into the tragedy. Two years later, March nineteen seventy four, Turkish Airlines Flight ninety one takes off from Paris. It's packed with three hundred and forty.
Speaker 2: Six people and we know what happens next.
Speaker 1: As it climbs through eleven thousand feet, the exact same cargo door with the exact same bent locking mechanism blows off. The floor collapses again.
Speaker 2: But this time it's worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This time, the collapsing floor severs all the redundant hydraulic lines.
Speaker 2: And without hydraulics, the crew had absolutely no way to move the flight control surfaces. Differential thrust just couldn't save.
Speaker 1: Them, so they were totally helpless.
Speaker 2: Completely. The plane pitched down, accelerated to five hundred miles per hour, and crashed into a forest outside Paris. It was the worst plane crash in aviation history at the time.
Speaker 1: When Chuck Miller from the NTSB went to France and looked at the wreckage, he must have been absolutely sick to his stomach.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: The voluntary fixes that McDonald douglas's promise. They were pathetic. They literally just added a tiny people for baggage handlers to physically look and see if the pins were engaged. But they didn't even explain what to look for.
Speaker 2: And the warning signs were written only in English.
Speaker 1: Right, baggage handler who closed the door spoke three languages, but none of them were English.
Speaker 2: The fallout from this was just monumental. During the massive lawsuits that followed, a journalist named Paul Eddie uncovered a document that changed everything.
Speaker 1: The Applegate Memo, yes.
Speaker 2: It became known as the Applegate Memo, was written by Don Applegate, the director of product engineering for Conveyor. They were the subcontractor that actually built the fuselage doors for McDonald douglas.
Speaker 1: And tell me the timeline of when this memo was written, because this is the part that just haunts me.
Speaker 2: Applegate wrote this memo just weeks after the first Windsor incident in nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 1: Wow, two years before Paris exactly.
Speaker 2: He explicitly warned his superiors that the outward opening door and the unvented floor above. It created an inherent susceptibility to catastrophic.
Speaker 1: Failure, so he knew exactly what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: He quite literally predicted that an airplane would be lost and a major disaster would occur if they didn't fundamentally redesign this aste.
Speaker 1: So they knew, They absolutely knew, and they pushed it through anyway because of the bottom line. During the trial, evidence actually came out that the cargo door had failed during a ground pressure test four years before the Paris crash. The industry later coined a term for this tombstone technology. It's such a dark it's this dark pragmatic calculus where a manufacturer essentially waits for enough people to die before the lawsuits cost more than simply spending the money to fix a hazard they already knew about, and.
Speaker 2: It ultimately cost McDonald douglas over eighty million dollars in damages. The FAA finally issued the legally binding airworthiness directive to fundamentally redesign the doors and vent the cabin.
Speaker 1: Floors, but their reputational damage was terminal, and McDonald douglas never fully recovered its dominance. No, they didn't, okay, so we've moved from the unpredictable forces of nature in our first story to the hidden structural flaws in our second. Let's move to the final story, which deals with the most imal visceral threat in the sky fire. We need to remember that an airplane is essentially a massive, highly pressurized metal tube flying miles above the earth. What happens in one small, hidden corner of that tube eventually affects every single person inside it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So We're in June nineteen eighty three Air Canada Flight seven ninety seven, a DC nine, flying from Dallas to Montreal. Okay, they are cruising at seventy three thousand feet when three electrical circuit breakers for the rear washroom toilet motor suddenly pop out in the cockpit Zap, zap, zap.
Speaker 1: Like a machine gun. Captain Donald Cameron waits a few minutes, tries to push them back in to reset them, but they just pop right back.
Speaker 2: Out, which happens sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he assumed someone flushed to paper towel and jam the motor. It's annoying, but it certainly doesn't feel like a life or death emergency.
Speaker 2: But then the pastures sitting near the back start noticing an odd smell. It wasn't the smell of a cigarette or wood smoke. It was a harsh, wiry, burning plastic.
Speaker 1: Smell, like melting wires exactly.
Speaker 2: A wisp of gray smoke starts leaking from the seams around the washroom door. The flight attendants grab a fire extinguisher, open the door and spray it inside, but they can't actually see any flames.
Speaker 1: Because the fire isn't in the washroom itself. Right Suddenly, all hell breaks loose. The master warning light illuminates the cockpit. Electrical systems across the entire plane begin to fail one by one.
Speaker 2: It's spreading fast.
Speaker 1: The cockpit loses its sophisticated navigation screens. The co pilot goes back to check the washroom again, and the metal door handle is burning hot to the touch. They declare may day.
Speaker 2: They initiate a rapid emergency descent towards Cincinnati, but the loss of electrical power means they are flying blind, relying on primitive mechanical backup.
Speaker 1: Instruments, and the fire is causing physical damage too.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, worse, the fire is now physically melting the flight control cables in the rear of the plane. Captain Cameron is trying to push the nose down to descend, but the control wheel is actually fighting him. Oh my god, it requires over forty pounds of physical pressure from his arms just to keep the plane from pitching up into a stall.
Speaker 1: I want you to imagine sitting in that cabin. The horror is just unimaginable. The acrid, bitter smoke is seeping out of the ceiling panels, slowly lowering over the passengers like a toxic blanket.
Speaker 2: And they can't even get oxygen.
Speaker 1: No, the flight attendants can't drop the oxygen masks because the system produces oxygen, which would instantly feed the hidden fire. So passengers are forced to take tiny, shallow breasts through clothing just to avoid.
Speaker 2: Choking, just trying to survive.
Speaker 1: One passenger actually takes out his wallet, puts his jacket on, and zips it up specifically so his body could be easily identified for his wife.
Speaker 2: Wow. It's just a sobering detail that really grounds you in the absolute terror of those minutes.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: But against all odds, with air traffic control talking them down, Captain Cameron manages to muscle the plane to a hard landing in Cincinnati fire trucks are waiting on the runway. You'd think the odeal is finally over.
Speaker 1: But it's not. The cabin is pitch black and completely filled from floor to ceiling with toxic fumes. The crew pops the emergency exits over the wings and the main doors. Passengers are stumbling blindly feeling their way over seats, just trying to get to fresh air. And then, only ninety seconds after the plane touches down and the doors are open, the entire interior of the jet erupts in a massive flash over explosion. Ninety seconds, the flames roll through the cabin like a freight train. Twenty three people die, including the rising folk music legends Stan Rogers.
Speaker 2: The investigation into this was incredibly complex. The NTSB initially tested the sea's toilet motor, assuming it had overheated.
Speaker 1: Right because of the circuit breakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they found it only reached about four hundred degrees celsius when jammed hot, but definitely not hot enough to ignite the surrounding metal walls.
Speaker 1: So how did this happen? Like how does a fire hide and then suddenly explode ninety seconds after everyone thought they were safe, Their.
Speaker 2: Cockpit voice recorder held the clue three minutes before the circuit breakers popped. The microphone picked up the faint sound of electrical arcinc static, just a buzzing sound. Yeah, eight separate times. Deep behind the washroom floor, the protective insulation had rubbed off some wires coming from a generator. They were sparking against the frame.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to picture the chemistry of this disaster dynamic. The fire started in these tiny hidden spaces behind the walls, and because there isn't a lot of free flowing air back there, the fire didn't just burn up cleanly. It starved for oxygen.
Speaker 2: Right, Exactly, when a fire burns in an oxygen starved space, it produces highly combustible, unburnt fuel in the form of superheated gases.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's just building up, right, Those.
Speaker 2: Hidden wall spaces acted exactly like a chimney. The superheated gases traveled up the walls and collected in the ceiling space directly above the passenger's heads. It was a creeping buildup of toxic, flammable gas permeating the entire pressure vessel.
Speaker 1: And here's the fatal moment when they landed and popped those emergency doors open. It was like takeing the lid off a pressure cooker over an open.
Speaker 2: Flame, a deadly combination.
Speaker 1: An unlimited rush of fresh outside oxygen flooded into the cabin. That oxygen mixed with those superheated fuel gases in the ceiling, providing the final ingredient for combustion. It instantly triggered an explosive flashover.
Speaker 2: A flashover burns up all the remaining oxygen in the cabin instantaneously, making it totally unsurvivable for anyone still inside.
Speaker 1: That's devastating, But.
Speaker 2: The NTSB investigation burst some of the most sweeping reforms in modern aviation history, and.
Speaker 1: This is the legacy we live with today. The investigators realized passengers died because they simply couldn't find the exits in the thick black smoke that rises to the ceiling right.
Speaker 2: They were blinded.
Speaker 1: So what do you see every time you board a plane today? Track lighting on the floor, those little raised bumps on the overhead bins to help you literally feel your way to an exit row in the dark.
Speaker 2: We also saw the federal mandate of smoke detectors in every single airplane lavatory and autumn halon fire extinguishers installed in the wastebins. All because of this, the actual composite materials used to build the interior panels were changed globally to limit heat release and smoke production. Every one of those regulations was a direct result of Air Canada's sevent nine to seven.
Speaker 1: So bringing this all back to where we started, every seemingly annoying regulation, every pre flight safety briefing where they point out the exits and tell you the floor lights will guide you, it is a monument. It really is a monument to the people in these three stories who didn't make it, to the crews who fought impossible odds with unmatched skill, and to the brilliant investigators who worked tirelessly to ensure these specific tragedies would never happen again.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful reminder that aviation safety doesn't just rest on incredible engineering. It rests on relentless forensic investigation and a refusal to accept the unknown. We have largely engineered away the mechanical flaws and physical blind spots of the nineteen seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: But I want to leave you with a final lingering thought to ponder our on your own as we enter the next great frontier of aviation, a future that is incredibly reliant on artificial intelligence, complex, millions of lines of code, software, and autonomous flight. What are the unseen volcanic ash clouds of tomorrow?
Speaker 2: That's a scary thought.
Speaker 1: What are the new gentlemen's agreements happening in boardrooms right now regarding algorithms rather than cargo doors. We've fixed the physical hinges and the mechanical wires, but are we inadvertently coding the invisible blind spots of the future. We really might be something to think about the next time you're sitting in a cabin thirty seven thousand feet up, looking out the window into the pitch black night, trusting the invisible systems keeping you safely in the sky.