Speaker 1: Hey everyone, welcome to back to Local Ag, your spot for everything Bedford County AG. It's July ninth six. I'm your host, Dorothy McIntyre with Bedford County Agricultural Advisory Board, and today is the twenty third episode. A big thanks to Mediate Squatch for making our local podcasts a great part of our community. Today we have it. We're sitting down with the faces behind dun Roaming Ranch, a fantastic family and veteran owned farm right here in Monfel on Dickerson Mill Road. They're raising everything from goats to pasture raised poultry, hogs, beef, cattle and more. All this dedicated to high quality meats. Welcome Megan and Lewis. Do you go by Lewis or Lou? Half the time I hear Lou.
Speaker 2: My wife calls me Lou. Everybody else calls me Lewis when I'm in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a classic there. So we know each other from the farmer's market and I'm so excited that you've been part of the market. What I'd like to know if you could tell me a little bit about how you came up with the name Done Roaming Ranch.
Speaker 2: So, actually my wife came up with it. We have been married twenty eight years and we've spent a lot of that time moving around with my job. So yeah, I worked for did twenty years in law enforcement and after that I went to US for service. So we've moved around quite a bit. And so when we got here, my wife said, I'm done moving. So she said, I'm going to call it done Roman Ranch. We're done Roman. So that's how the name came about.
Speaker 1: So it's so collaborative a little bit. Or was it all you, Megan?
Speaker 3: I think it was pretty much all me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too many.
Speaker 2: Moves, yes, right.
Speaker 1: So so thank you for your service. Marines.
Speaker 2: I was in the Marines for seven years.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you very much for your service. So I'd love to know the journey from Marines to look law enforcement to forestry And how did you come to farming with all that background.
Speaker 2: Well, I grew up in West Virginia and I grew up on a farm. My grandfather raised draft horses, and so I you know, I guess farming and all that is in my blood. You know, my wife she grew up in Pennsylvania and she grew up around horses, and you know, I guess we've all gravitated to the farm, even though we've moved around so many times. Every place but Alaska we had a farm, did you really, Yes, So we've always been in the farming business or some shape or form. Our daughter was a barrel racer with horses, and so, you know, we've done a little bit of everything. But I started in West Virginia. I joined the Marines, and after I got out of the Marines, I started in law enforcement. And then towards the end of my law enforcement career, I met my wife and we got married, and I got a job with US for Service. And one of my jobs with the for Service was a firefighter, So I got to go out west into summers and and fight a lot of fires and met a lot of neat people doing that, and with that I got to see different parts of the country. So we we decided we would start moving around, and we took a job in West Virginia, and then we I transferred to Louisiana, and then we transferred to California and then to Alaska, and then we wanted to retire here back in Virginia where we all started. So when the job came open, I transferred back to Virginia, and this is where we actually retired, you know. And my you know, my wife's been so wonderful being you know, transferring and starting new jobs and ending new jobs and starting new jobs. So I just can't say enough about her. She's just been so wonderful being by my side. And and you know, doing that career with us and our kids got to see a lot of the world or a lot of the country.
Speaker 1: You were able to show the kids the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at the time they didn't like it, but I think now they look back at it, they see a lot of that life experiences that they received. And as a matter of fact, our son just told us a couple of weeks ago, he said, I'd like to move back to Alaska because he's here in Virginia. Okay, So it did have some impact on him. And we enjoyed moving around. And when we got here. It's kind of a funny story. I came down earlier from Alaska and because she still had to finish out our teaching agreement, and we looked around at farms here and we must have spent two weeks looking at farms, and eventually, you know, she saw one, this one farm and it said they raise gypsy werner.
Speaker 1: And what's that.
Speaker 2: It's a type of horse. Okay, and she always loved those type of horses. Shed let's go down and look at the horses. And when we pulled in the driveway, she said, this is it. I was like, well, it's a little above our budget, but you know, and we talked to the people and they worked with us and we ended up buying the farm. But it was the very last farm we looked at before she was supposed to go back to Alaska.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, so you enjoyed this part of the area.
Speaker 3: Then I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, cool, so nice, that's pretty interesting. So did you look outside of Bedford County or was Bedford County kind of like ground zero for you that you wanted to be in this area?
Speaker 2: We actually looked in all the way up to Louisbourg, West Virginia.
Speaker 3: Did you really down.
Speaker 2: Into Appomatics area? We were just we had an idea of what type of farm we wanted and we just couldn't find it. And it just, you know, I believe that, you know, God directed us to that point.
Speaker 1: You get on that land and it's just like this is it? Yes, we did that with the land, not the house.
Speaker 2: That was even more important that the wife liked it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, Now you still have horses though, right I do? Yes, how many horses do you have? We have three on the property to donkies. Do you ride them still or yes? Yeah, you ride too.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I grew up on horse farms, so they're just hay burners to be Yeah.
Speaker 1: See my husband just he had horses growing up, and he just he's like, no, never doing it again. So so looking on your social media, you mentioned that you have a commitment to raising clean animals, which is what you raise basically at the farm with additional value added products. Correct, tell me about why you want them to be clean animals and how do you achieve that.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's a little story on that. In West Virginia when we lived there, we had a farm. We actually had a USDA processing poultry processing facility on our farm, and before we opened that, we went around and we went to like the Amish, and they taught us how to do the checken and the poultry and stuff like that. And then we went to a big producer and I didn't like the way the major producers process their meat. And that's all I'll say about that, but it drove us to wanting to raise our own meat. So we started out just raising our own meat, and then so many friends came to us and said, you know, can we buy some, can we? So we we've kind of turned it into a business. But it's to us, it's it's it's important to raise the animals, you know, humanely. You know, like for example, this hot weather we just had last week, we put fans out on our our meat checkings just to keep them cools. I mean, you know, it's important that you treat the animals correctly so that they provide what you know they should provide for us. And uh, you know it's very important that we put into like everything we produce. We produce as I before, we're going to put it on our own table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you say, everything you produce. So you have all this meat with the goats and the chickens and the hogs. But I also know some of the other things that you do, like the shagbar syrup and the maple syrup that's unique to this area. There are people, but usually it's higher up in the Shenandoah Valley. Did you do this in other areas where you were living or did was this something new here?
Speaker 2: Well, when I grew up in West Virginia, my uncle tapped maple trees, and I remember a fond memory from childhood of setting up all weekend and cooking off maple sap to maple syrup. So we were kind of blessed when we drove around the farm and we found all these old large sugar maples, and so, what was it two years ago or three years ago? We started tapping them, and we made some last last year just for us, and then this year we started making some to sell. But we have about fifty maple trees on our farm and they produce a lot. I mean this year was kind of a unique year. We only had one week of harvest. Usually have three weeks. Do you really have, Yeah, And it's based on the weather. I mean it's got to be below freezing at night and above freezing during a day for the sap to run, and we only had like a week of that this year, so we didn't produce as much as we did the year before that.
Speaker 1: But although it is very delicious, we use it all the time, right, and hopefully you have some so we can tell people where they can get it.
Speaker 2: We still have a couple of gallons left of this year. And then I make what's called hickory bark syrup, which it's made from the shag hickory tree, and you make it into a tea and then you cook it down and add Now that's the only thing it has sugar added to it, because it doesn't have sugar in the natural like maple syrup has sugar in the sap. Yeah, the hickory bark doesn't have a sugar in it, so we do add sugar to that. And I love it as a coffee creamer. She eats it on her ice cream.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good one to think about.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Along with that, you also have a market garden that you've been producing from, too so, and you do some value added you're doing some baking, Megan a little bit. Yes, that the zucchini bread seems to go pretty well at the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seeing we have an overabundance of zucchini. Yeah, so all.
Speaker 1: Right, let me think about what else we can talk about. Now, there is a specialty that you make for the Thanksgiving Christmas time. I'd love to hear about how that came about and how people can get obtain that or reserve that for this season. So tell me about the Traducans that you make.
Speaker 2: So that's a unique story. Like I said, we lived in Louisiana and traduccan is a traditional Louisiana dish. And what intraducing is a lot of people hear it and they go like, what is that toterducan? You know? And it's it's a de bone chicken in side a d bone duck inside a semi d bone turkey, and then it's combined and it's baked together, so almost all of it is d bone meat. And if you've ever had a duck, duck is kind of an oily meat, so it gives moisture to the rest of the meat. And when we were in Louisiana, we tried one and we've never had anything else for Thanksgiving since then. Really, it's just such a unique and amazing tasting animal.
Speaker 1: And was there stuffing inside the chicken or is it just all the meat?
Speaker 2: So a true Louisiana whichur duck and has stuffing in it. Okay, I don't put stuffing or seasoning in it, just because when I made them for friends, you know, they want to add their own seasoning, their own stuffing, so that way you can make it your own unique thing. But the traditional Louisiana dish does have stuffing and also has cage and spices in it. The one I make it's just meat, okay, and then you know, you cook it or we smoke cars and it just seals in that flavor. And you know, I'm made it probably what ten years ago for Thanksgiving and everybody comes over. You got to make one for me. So I've been making them unofficially, you know, for years now. But so this is your first year we're going.
Speaker 1: To all this is the first year that you're going to you're doing reserves. I guess you have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty time consuming, you debuting.
Speaker 1: And imagine everything. So, uh, chicken thighs for me, take a little. I'll do an entire turkey and chicken and duck would be crazy.
Speaker 2: So we're taking we're taking reservations and we'll deliver them. You know, like the week or two weeks before Thanksgiving. They will be frozen.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask all they fresh or frozen.
Speaker 2: They'll be frozen. You know. I got a person that's going to a farm that's going to provide the ducks and then we raise the chickens in the turkeys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was going to ask you how many have you made in the past?
Speaker 2: Then, Oh, I probably made a couple of hundred for real. Yeah, I mean it seems to grow every year, you know. Okay, I have a friend out in Utah that I have to mail one. So I met him on fire and we made one on fire one time, and he goes, I won't eat anything else, So I mail him one every year.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. That's pretty cool, all right. So on your social media also you talk about how you prioritize the farm connection. And I know that you're at the farmer's markets. Do you open up the farm to anybody that they could come to the farm, see the farm, and pick up product at the farm or is it just solely at the farmer's market at this point.
Speaker 2: No, we have a lot of people that come to the farm and buy stuff from us, you know, due to biohazards, you know, especially with poultry with avian flu, we don't give farm tours. I mean, driving down our driveway you can see the animals, right. A lot of people want to show up and go, tick me out, let me hold the ducks or the chickens or whatever. And you have to be careful because we have a closed herd. So I don't give any antibiotics. I don't give any medication to any of my animals. Everything is natural. It's not certified organic because we've never went.
Speaker 1: Through that, the organic work.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we have a lot of people that come to the farm. They'll email or call me and say do you have this, and we'll get the order ready for them, and when they pull up, we'll give them, you know.
Speaker 1: And they can see everybody outside the fence. Just inside the fence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have about a quarter mile driveway. That's beautiful drive there tons of animals on both sides.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you also, I think you sell some of the pullets, is that right?
Speaker 2: We do. We We've raised laying chickens for a couple of years now and sell. I think we have Rhode Allen reds and black sex thunks right now. They're almost ready to.
Speaker 1: Say they're available right now. If somebody wanted to purchase them, that's great, that's great. So how do people get connected to you if they wanted to come over to the farm, or find you at the farmer's market.
Speaker 2: Sure, so we are on Facebook. My wife does TikTok videos all the time there. I love those. So a lot of people have been enjoying those two are our number of followers have increased. I think that's what they call it. I'm a not a very tech savvy person. So but you can email us or you can call us. You know our phone numbers five four oh nine three zero nine six nine five seven, and you know we're on Facebook, and just reach out to us.
Speaker 3: There it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds great, let me see it. So this was a quick one. But I guess it's because we know each other. I don't know. You know, but you're at the Bedford Farmers Market on Saturday mornings and that's eight to one or eight to noon.
Speaker 2: It's eight to noon.
Speaker 1: And Benita Farmers Market also that on Wednesdays eight to noon. Anywhere else? Are you in any of the small shops or anything, or just at the farm at this point.
Speaker 2: Just at the farm right now. It's you know, we we haven't having a hard time sometimes keep up with the orders we have. Now we haven't. Really that's a great thing. It is, especially the chicken. A lot of people love the chicken we produce, and uh.
Speaker 1: Which which type of chickens?
Speaker 2: So we do we do the Cornish crosses, and you know a lot of people have had problems with the Cornish crosses, with the leg problems and stuff, and and we've kind of created a thing that keeps them walking. And as long as you can keep them walking, you don't have as many leg problems. Okay, So you know a lot of people call me and say, well, you know, I'm doing what's my chickens are doing this? And and I try to explain to them, you know, what's going on. You know, why they're having so much leg problems. If you put the feed in the water right next to each other, they don't move. Literally, that's all they do is they eat and drink and poop, and that's that's about all they do. So yeah, but we've we lose very few now, you know, compared to twenty years ago when we first started this, you know, and a lot of that is you know, experience, and a lot of it is reading and you know, my wife, we try to use every part of the chicken too. So this is just a couple of weeks ago she goes, you know, we always feed the feet to the pigs, and she goes, she did some research and found out they're really good for dogs. So now we produce a dehydrated chicken feet and she's she researched that what is it? Peanut, butter, banana and carrot and are also very good for the dogs. So we now coat some of those chicken feet with that mixture and dehydrate them. And you know, the first thing everybody says that the farmer's market was like, well, you can't feed chicken to a chicken bows to a dog. Well, the dehydration process makes them to where they don't splinter. They actually just almost go into a dust. And our daughter, our daughter said, well that gross feed and chicken. And it was kind of unusual to give it to our dogs the first time, but they loved it. I couldn't leave how much. And I have a rut wilder. It has some joint problems and these are high in glucose, I mean glucose probably, yeah, and it really helps their joints. So wow, yeah, he just loves them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you've gotten feedback.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've actually sold quite a bit of the me and a lot of people really enjoy their dogs, really enjoy them so nice. Yeah. So it's been a good additu of trying to use everything from the chicken and we and we do literally use everything from the chicken. Yeah, you know, anything that we can't make into a product, we feed it to our hogs and they that.
Speaker 1: And there's the chicken jerkey that keeps on going out fast, isn't it. And you just did a new flavor.
Speaker 2: We did two new flavors. We have jalapeno and tarioki. We just added and we had we still have hickory mesquite and.
Speaker 3: Whist pepper, whiskey pepper, I think whiskey pepper yhiskey pepper.
Speaker 2: That seems to be the biggest hot cellars, the whiskey peppers.
Speaker 1: So you really do a lot on that farm.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we were just talking the other days, like, you know, we retired just what a year ago, and it seems like we're working harder than when we were working.
Speaker 1: A full time job and doing this now, Megan, what's your favorite part of the farm, do you think or do you have a favorite? I do.
Speaker 3: I'm the one who goes around and plays with all the animals, I could see that.
Speaker 1: I could totally see that.
Speaker 3: But you don't name them, you said, I try not to. Yeah, it's too hard when they get in that trailer and go to processing. Yeah, I can understand that for sure, that's for sure. Thank you so much for coming out.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you taking the time to tell people about your farm and about all the different things that you do there.
Speaker 2: And you know, Bedford is a great place. We love Bedford, isn't it, And we're glad it's our home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it grows on you. It's just it is a special place. The people here, the the beauty of it, it's just amazing. The agriculture too, yes, you know, hopefully you're you're finding other people that are doing similar things with you too.
Speaker 2: We are. We've met a lot of great people at the farmer's markets. Yeah, not just the vendors. The other vendors are outstanding, but the customers, you know, they like to come in and talk to us, and we enjoy meeting people and getting to know the people.
Speaker 1: Of Bedford, and then they keep on coming back to you they do well. Thank you again, thanks for the interview. And here on local ag and It's been a pleasure learning about your agriculture endeavors and how you are bringing breakfast Bedford County agriculture directly to our community. Some ag announcements for us today, so mark your calendars. The Bedford County Fair is coming. The carnival, rides, music, Old McDonald's intent will be with us. That is going to be on it August twenty first to the twenty third at Liberty Lake Park. I believe it starts at four o'clock each day. You'll have to check that out on their website. And then on September fifth and sixth, there will be a livestock show at the Allen Mountain Livestock Farm. I believe it's called It's twenty five twenty one timber Ridge Road. For more information called visit the Bedford countyvafair dot org. Along with that, the farmers' markets are up and running and they are busting with both produce and meat products. Montfail has their markets on the second and third Saturdays of the month at the Old Montfel School and they are from eight am to noon. Bedford Farmers Market is Saturdays eight to one at Centertown. The Centertown Pavilion. Forest Farmers Market is Saturdays eight am to noon behind the Forest Library, and Menita's farmers Market is Wednesday nine am to noon next to the Menita Smith Mountain Lake Library. This is darthy mac can tire, reminding you to be good to yourself and good to others. M hmm