Speaker 1: Welcome the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life. I'm Jen Stevens, author of the New York Times bestseller Fast Feast Repeat.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sherry Bullock, longtime intermittent faster and health and wellness advocate. Please keep in mind that this podcast is for educational and motivational purposes only, and is not intended to provide medical or diagnostic advice. Jen and I are not doctors, so make sure to check with your trusted healthcare professionals before making changes, especially when it comes to any medical treatments or medications.
Speaker 1: Whether you're new to intermittent fasting or an experienced intermittent faster, tune in each week to get inspired, to learn, and to have some fun along the way. Hi, everybody, we are so glad you're here today. Welcome to this week's episode of the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life Podcast. How are you doing today.
Speaker 2: Sherry, I'm doing wonderful. Crazy, busy, but wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. Busy good, I'm so busy.
Speaker 2: Busy is good.
Speaker 1: Busy is good.
Speaker 2: I even got up early today, which is really hard for me on a Tuesday morning, and I still feel like I'm running behind them. So much to do today, and I'm really trying to prioritize getting my workouts in doing all the stuff I need to do for me plus everything else that I do. So I'm like set up for success. I'm wearing my workout clothes and ready to roll.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, I've went in the sauna this morning. I'm doing better at that. I actually wrote the word sauna in my daily list of things to do. Sauna is now. That doesn't mean I have to do it every day, but it reminds me because I keep forgetting that.
Speaker 2: But Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Yeah, my function labs came back that I have a lot of inflammation, particularly joint inflammation. So I've been trying to use it like three times a week to really help with that. And there's actually like a setting on the sunlight and sauna for inflammation.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But I also decided to do it updates today. I did down day last night, so eating breakfast took the place of my suna time this morning. Oh maybe tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Actually saw something that it could help with sleep if you do it for bed. I don't know if I want to to in the.
Speaker 2: When I would do it. Yeah, I'm so like. I go all day and then finally in the evening Eric makes me sit down and like watch TV with him, and then I get so lazy that I have a hard time getting up to do anything after that. It's like I'm fed, I'm I'm watching TV, and then I don't want to get back up and do anything. I have a couple of times try to get up and get my work out in after he goes to bed, because he goes to bed so early, But then I am just wired.
Speaker 1: And I can't go to sleep. So yeah, all that gonna work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Hannah, I might able to get that in the evening because that's pretty relaxing. Okay, well, let's just jump into feeling free in Tennessee, who has a celebration this week. She wrote, Jen and Cherry, thank you so much for your consistency and conviction and clear communication about the ins and outs of the Eye of Lifestyle. I am five nine forty two years old, a mom of three, and currently sitting around two hundred pounds. I first encountered Jen's book Delayed on Deny after reading The Obcit Code by doctor Jason Fung in twenty twenty two, I hopped right into intermittent fasting and I loved it, doing a five to seven hour eating window approach. I started at two hundred and ten pounds at that time. I lost twenty five pounds or so, and then life interrupted. I got pregnant and had a third baby after a seven year break from childbirth, and obviously my fasting practice had to shift. Well. I don't know if it was a sudden pregnancy meets post COVID career blaws or what the boy did it shift Once I got pregnant, I just ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, including but not limited to chocolate, fast food, ice cream, fried foods, and bread, and then I continued to do so. In the first few months of postpartum, I was pressed, so I often found myself snacking in the middle of the night, sometimes on granola bars or even chocolate. Well before I knew it, I had reached an all time non pregnancy high of two hundred and twenty five pounds. I felt terrible. I looked puffy and uncomfortable. Anytime someone pulled a camera out to take a picture of me with the kids, I felt full of shame. And discomfort. I don't know it clicked, but one day I woke up and said to myself, not today, Satan, and also never again. So in March of twenty twenty five, I started listening to the Fast Feast Repeat podcast. I refreshed my memory on delay don't deny in the Beastie code, and I got started. I fasted dirty for about a week, and then I began clean fasting shortly thereafter, and I have not looked back. I eat within a five hour window a lot of days, opening somewhere around four pm, but sometimes I windows a little longer, and sometimes it's more like an O mad day. It just depends on life. I love the flexibility this lifestyle offers, among other non skilled perks. I still enjoy all the foods I love of, even the occasional fast food drive through splurge, although thanks to all of the other benefits of IF, I am losing my taste for this over time. I don't feel restricted. When I have a special occasion or a birthday, I simply get back to it the day following. On the occasions where I've failed to fast for a few days in a row, it was harder to jump back in but never impossible. My will and commitment to continue is growing as I begin experiencing the many benefits of this lifestyle. Since March first of twenty twenty five, I have lost thirty five pounds and I'm still going strong. I have become much more physically active, at least partially due to the energy boost I get from fasting, but also due to the helpful distraction that exercise can be from the normal, non urgent hunger waves that can come and go throughout the day. Sometimes at nine am, I feel super hungry all of a sudden, but ninety nine percent of the time if I go for a brisk walk, it passes some other non scale victories. I'm loving right now. I am seeing body recomposition changes, the appearance of cellulite, and my legs is dramatic decreased. My jaw line is reappearing, and my clothes fit so much better. All my old genes are falling off as I've gone down at least two pant sizes so far. I feel a lot of energy, and to meet me in public, you would never know. I'm still waking up two to three times a night with a baby. I don't feel sleepy or fatigued most of the time. One nonscale victory that surprised me recently. The other day, it occurred to me that I haven't had one cold sore the entire time I've been doing IF this time around. Normally I get one at least every month or two. I lift it up in lo and behold. It seems that managing and or preventing herpies out bricks can be a benefit of IF. Who knew? Like most people, I imagine, I started doing this primarily for weight loss benefits, but I also knew that I'd be putting myself in a powerfully healthy state, hopefully helping my body keep me alive and thriving for many years to come. I plan to continue forever, so I will hopefully live a vibrant and vivacious life until I pass on. I am fully in on cultivating the flexible rhythm of fasting, and I am so happy I gave it another try.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. Yeah, I love that we definitely have to take a break when pregnant and breastfeeding, but then when you're ready to get back to it, your body remembers what to do. What we've heard from so many people sharing when they get back to it after a break from pregnancy or an unexpected break that just whe they stopped fasting for whatever reason, your body remembers. It's not as hard to adapt as it may have been the first time for a lot of people. Well, it won't be a challenge.
Speaker 2: I was going to say. I think it's probably physically still uncomfortable at first in the beginning, but like mentally and the habit of fasting kind of is still back in your brain, So it's not like a lot of people have this sort of fear what if I get hungry, what if I can't make it till my next fast? But like you've already been through that experience, so like that's no longer on your radar, which I think that makes it easier to resume. And I've been that. You know, if she takes a few days off from fasting, it is harder to jump back in. You know, that's something people do experience. But when you're dedicated and you're consistent and you're like, yes, I know I took time off, but I'm going to push through and it's going to be easy again, then you can get right back at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to get completely re metabolically adapted every single time you take a couple days off, but it does make it harder. You're right. We've talked about that many, many times about when you go on vacation or when you have holidays, you will thank yourself if you stick to a window. No one has ever said, man, I wish I had longer windows on vacage. Right. Yeah, So now we have a question from a listener. This is from Marie from Ireland. Hijen and Sherry, thank you both for being so generous with your time and knowledge with this podcast. It has already been hugely beneficial to me and I look forward to listening each week. When I first found the podcast, a nineteen five protocol sounded impossible, but I decided to stick orn and apply the knowledge you shared to the sixteen eight protocol I had done previously. Like Jen says, it was difficult in theory but easy in practice. Before long, I had bought Gen's books and was doing the fast Start working up to nineteen five. Aside from the initial few days, I found the clean intermittent fasting lifestyle easy. I never really felt the waves of hunger in my fast that other listeners mentioned in their submissions. Finally, I had found a tool that would work for me on autopilot. If you felt a butt coming, you were right. I have recently been diagnosed with under active thyroid. My low energy levels in the months before the diagnosis meant that I didn't have the willpower I needed to stay on my protocol. Suddenly, even fasting eight to ten hours seemed like a mammoth task. My low energy levels had me adding sugar and milk to my coffee in the morning and kept me reaching for sugary snacks just to get through the workday. It wasn't long before I had regained the roughly fourteen hounds I had lost between February first and June thirtieth. I have started on the thyroid medication, and once my energy levels start to return to normal, I plan to restart the twenty eight day fast start like a new intermittent faster. I was wondering if you have any experience with intermittent fasters in the community with underactive thyroid, and could you share if the lifestyle still works for them. I know that I have to take the medication at least thirty minutes before coffee or food. I understand from previous episodes that coffee can help with pushing glycogen out, so I may need to miss out on that push until I have energy to begin my daily walks. Again, thank you so much for all that you do, Marie.
Speaker 2: All right, so do we see people have success on thyroid medicine. Absolutely, So it's interesting to me like that, all of a sudden, it sounds like your thyroid just kind of crashed, which makes me wonder if you had some sort of viral or autoimmune issue with your thyroid.
Speaker 3: So I hope that.
Speaker 2: They're keeping track of that because sometimes you can have a virus that causes your thyroid did not work really optimally, but then it'll heal. This happened to my husband actually, all of a sudden, he was really hypothyroid. They start them on thyroid meds, and then he went back in to the doctor like six months later, they drew his labs and everything was suddenly like normal. And so when he told them he'd been out of thyroid meds for two months, they were like, you haven't been on your thyroid medicine and he said no, because he's very non compliant. But his labs were drastically different than when they were like six months earlier, and so they were like, okay, well maybe it's fluke whatever. They had him come back in they read threw his labs. His thyroid has been one hundred fine since then, So it was just a weird thing. And like they said, you could have something viral that's causing it to happen. So usually people start noticing some of low thyroid like over time. I mean I've even heard that before you are clinically diagnosed. Some people are really truly like hypo subclinically hypothyroid for like five to ten years. So anyway, definitely keep an eye on that. What we notice is people once they are on like people who are on thyroid medicine and they start fasting, they often have to adjust their medicine and start taking less of it because your body is using thyroid hormones so much more efficiently. Part of that has to do with your liver. The healthier your liver is, the better it can metabolize your thyroid hormone. So definitely keep an eye on that. You are right, you need to take your medication at least thirty minutes before having any food, especially fat. So I do hope that you start feeling better. I really I think you should start feeling better pretty quickly. I don't know when you started on your meds, but definitely, you know, keep talking to your doctor about that. And I'm going to be honest, the clean fast is really going to help you with your energy levels better than adding any sugar or anything to your coffee. So if you're feeling sluggish in the morning, really the best thing you can do is to do a light walk. It doesn't have to be a vigorous walk. Just get moving because you're right, that will push glicogen out. Like coffee, you'll push some glicogen out. So maybe take your meds and then take a little walk and then from then you can come back in and get your cup of coffee. But yeah, we have people who have loss of success with both thyroid or hashimotives.
Speaker 1: And if yep, I was just going to add the whole idea that having the cream and the sugar and the sugary snacks gives you energy. Actually that is what gets you trapped on the blood sugar roller coaster where you have more slumps. Right, if I think back to my life before intermittent fasting, I was on that roller coaster every day. I was constantly spiking it up and crashing it down all day, and so I would have the quick hause for a minute and then the slump that was way worse in response to that. So if you're not feeling better, then I would talk to your doctor about your meds and your dacage level. But I don't know why you would need to wait to get back started clean fasting.
Speaker 2: I would say too, I know that she says she's clean fasting. But then like you were on nineteen five, and then suddenly you started having low energy and you started feeling like you needed to add stuff. You're fast and you couldn't fast as long. So one or two things is happening. One of three things could be happening. You could be inadvertently breaking your fast with some Yeah, a lot of people like to use some electrolytes in their fast that have additives that break the fast, such as citric acid or fulvic acid or cubic acid. Some people are taking like amino acids thinking that they're safe for the fast because the company says they are so one hundred percent. Make sure there's no, nothing that you're ingesting in your fast other than black coffee tea that you brew yourself or plain water, because those low energy levels could be a result of, in evarently breaking your fast. Like I said, the other thing could be, if you're having low energy levels, you could need some electrolytes, particularly like some extra sodium. People that are a little low on sodium often have a lot, like really low energy feeling. Your cells use sodium for energy, so you may need to add some sodium to your diet. And the third thing would be is if you are below goal weight, like a good maintenance weight for you, and you are fasting too long for your body, and or you're not eating enough in your eating window, and then you're gonna probably feel low energy and hungry during your fast. So those three things kind of came to mind while we were talking. Yes, I think that just here that people don't feel well while fasting even.
Speaker 1: With low thyroid right, all right.
Speaker 2: So our next question is from Bonnie and Illinois. She writes, does brushing my teeth in the morning break the clean fast? I have been doing if since the end of July twenty twenty five, I usually do a twenty four protocol. I've lost seven pounds and I mostly feel great. However, the last few days I've been really hungry, especially in the morning. I usually open my window at noon and close it between four or five pm. I am sixty five five six. I started at one hundred and seventy eight pounds. I'm now one hundred and seventy one. My goal is one hundred and fifty for now. I am hoping that one forty might be a later goal. I have dieted my whole life and I finally feel in control, but I am wondering about the tooth brushing. Otherwise, my fast is totally clean, black coffee and tap water only. I'm also considering ADF as a way to be less hungry, but it feels confusing. I like the simplicity of what I'm doing now, but I wonder about my metabolism getting stuck. Sometimes on the weekends, I'll have a day off and just eat normally. Is that a good idea? Thank you for your important help, I am so happy to have found if.
Speaker 1: All right, Bonnie, let's go to the tooth brushing question. First of all, it's fine to brush your teeth morning night. We brush our teeth. It's brief. We move on. Even if brushing your teeth caused a short insulin response from the flavor of your toothpaste, it's going to be over very very quickly and won't have a giant impact. If you contrast that with drinking a beverage that breaks the fast, you don't just have one sip. It goes on and on and on and on. So brushing your teeth, don't worry about it, brush and move on, And that would not all of a sudden start making you hungry if it hadn't been before. But what will is if your body is about to flip the switch. I'm not sure when this question came in. We're recording this in September, and you've been doing intermittent fasting since the end of July. I think it was pretty recent if I remember pretty recently, so best case scenario, you've been doing intermittent fasting for less than two months. But even if it just came in like today, you've only been doing intermittent fasting for two months or less by the time you wrote this in. And if you've been taking weekend days off and only doing intermittent fasting for two months, it is very possible that your body hasn't flipped the switch yet. You could be just keeping yourself right on the edge of that metabolic adaptation. And when you get to the point that your deliver is running out of the readily accessible glycogen, you're about to flip that switch. You can have a little extra hunger for a few days. The fast gets a little harder before you flip the switch. So for anybody who's listening, if you're going along and it's easy and all of a sudden it gets harder, think about how long you've been doing it. Could it be just that your body is just getting ready to flip the switch through in your first couple months, that's likely, Or have you been taking more days off that will make you hungrier, Or as we said in the prior question, answered, are you accidentally breaking your fast in some way with something else, something that's new, something that you've introduced that you hadn't been having before, a supplement, a vitamin, even a new medication. And when it comes to medications, you know, if you have to take it, you have to take it, but you can always talk to a doctor about when you need to take it. A lot of things say take first thing in the morning, but that just really means take before food, and since we don't open until later, you could shift that later, but that would be always something to talk to your doctor about. So when it comes to ADF, you're still way too early for ADF at two months in, and we really caution people to stick to intermitt and fasting for several months before trying to get to ADF. And it's because of our experience with people who try it too soon and then they lose the plot. You really want to be completely metabolically flexible and established to the point that you can't even imagine not having a daily eating window. It's your life now, then you're ready to start maybe trying with some ADF, but only if you need to. This is also why we recommend that you weigh daily and then once a week take the time to calculate your weekly average. If you are losing weight from one weekly average to the next at one half to one pounds per week, week after week after week, then you know that you are doing fine. Now, if you like go on a vacation and you don't lose weight, you know why. If you have a lot of holidays or you're a little bit not quite sticking to it, and you don't lose weight. You know why. But if you're sticking to your intermittent fasting goals consistently seven days a week, you should expect to see some weight loss one half to one pound a week from one weekly average to the next. If you are sticking to it, you are doing it seven days a week, and your weekly average suddenly stops trending downward, you're just stuck week after week after week for like four weeks, for example. Then you need to like really reassess and think about two things. Number One, am I at a healthy weight now where my body can maintain easily? This might just be your maintenance weight. Or Number two, has your body adapted to your daily eating window, in which case maybe it's time to consider some ADF. But we don't need to do it just to do it, And I don't want you to feel pressured into doing it or feeling like you have to do it. I want you to do it when you're ready, if you need to.
Speaker 2: I wanted to say too, I wonder if she just recently started to feel like what it feels like to be fat adapted, And then if she is taking off time on the weekends, right if, like she said, the last few days that it.
Speaker 1: Has felt harder.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if, like she wrote this in on like, maybe it was a Tuesday and she took off, didn't fast on Sunday, and so then Monday she was really struggling to flip the switch. Maybe even Tuesday flips are going to flip the switch because you're, like you said, she's not been fasting that long and she's been taking weekends off, so she's kind of riding that edge.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I would really think that if she can just fast consistently seven days a week, that should probably go away.
Speaker 1: I really think that people don't realize how important that actually is for your first few months. We talk about intermittent fasting being really flexible, and when you have been doing it as long as Sherry and I have, we know what to expect. I could have a longer window one day, and I know how to get back to my normal routine. I know what it feels like. But if you're new, that's not the time to experiment with the flexibility. We'll have time to get there, right, But people who experiment with flexibility too early are the ones who end up stopping and it suddenly gets hard, and then they're like, why did I quit? I haven't been fasting for two months now, and though now I'm starting over. So we want to stop that starting over mentality by just really nailing that consistency until you know your body has it down before trying to throw any other wrinkles in there. Yeah, for sure, And now it's time for our segment called What's Your Why. Most of us begin intermittent fasting with weight loss in mind, which is a great reason to start, but there is so much more to what intermittent fasting can do for us beyond weight loss. I genuinely believe when your why is deeper than weight loss alone, you're more likely to find long term success and to view intermittent fasting as a lifestyle. So this week we have a.
Speaker 2: Wife from Christine. Christine wrote, as Jen always asks what brought you to intermittent fasting? For me, it's been a long journey. I grew up dancing competitively, and I stayed thin into my early twenties, even on a junk food diet because I was constantly moving. But once I stopped dancing and became an elementary school teacher. My activity level dropped while my eating habits stayed the same. Over the years, the weight piled on and I eventually accepted being plus size. Over the years, I tried calorie counting. I would lose five to fifteen pounds here and there, but could never stick with it. Hunger and frustration always won. I discovered IF in twenty seventeen, but I wasn't committed to the Clean Fast. I thought calories in, calories out was the only way, and fasting with flavored coffees and creamers made it unsustainable and I never got results. A year ago, my family lost a loved one to a lifestyle related illness, and my mom, in her sixties, began weight loss injections for pre diabetes that made her sick, and I realized I don't want this to be my future. So I went back to Jen's Fast peas repeat, reread it cover to cover, and this time I fully committed to the Clean Fast. Now it's black coffee, plain tobochico and water only, no flavors, no creamers. It hasn't been a perfect road. I've stumbled through the twenty eight day fast start before quitting on day twenty nine when the scale didn't budge, or when the adjustment period felt too hard. But each time I've learned, and ea time I've come back stronger. My why because I want to be healthy is I age, because I don't want my life cut short my lifestyle related illness, because I deserve freedom from diets, guilt, and frustration. This isn't just about losing weight. It is about living fully with health, strength and joy for the years ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally get it. We're just so entrenched. We want everything to be easy. But you know, as there's a lesson and twenty eight day fast start pick your hard. Yeah, it can be hard to sit around while everybody else is having breakfast a to date in the morning and it looks really good and you're like, I can't have that. It feels like, you know, you're depriving yourself of something. But when you realize that what you're depriving yourself of by skipping that breakfast is metabolic issues being overweight, I would like to deprive myself of those things. Suddenly I no longer feel like I'm depriving myself of the breakfast. It's just a mindset shift and mindset is that's important. Oh my gosh, there were so many years from twenty nine to twenty fourteen when I dabbled in fasting that I would be like mad right that I just couldn't eat all day. I had to get past that for intermittten fasting to be a lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I want to say to anybody who's listening right now, if you are in your twenty eight day fast start, if you are even in your first six weeks, if it's feeling hard right now, please don't quit right because I promise very soon your body's going to start flipping the switch and you're going to feel amazing. And it right about the point where you're like, this is hard, I'm tired of struggling is usually about the point that your body's ready to do something super.
Speaker 1: It gets harder again before it gets easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep pushing a lot of times people we've just noticed during the first several days it's really hard, and then all of a sudden they're like, oh, my hunger is adjusting, I'm feeling better, And then they may have an easy ten days, and then they might have some hard days and it's gonna go like that. You're gonna have some days where you're low energy, you're not gonna be able to work out anymore. And this is where Jenn's twenty eight day fastart book is so great, because it's gonna walk you through all of this. But please don't give up. Please please please commit to twelve weeks at least because something magical's gonna happen in that time. And then the other thing is set yourself up for realistic expectations. You may not lose one single pound during the twenty eight day fasttart, that's okay. That's not weight loss time. That is habit building time. That is getting your body fat adapted time. That is not weight loss time. The weight loss happens, the fat loss happens once your body is able to burn fat for energy. So keep pushing. I don't want you to have to start over again in three months when you're like, maybe I should have stuck with it. You're doing it now, stick with it. You'll get there, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I always like to remind people if this lifestyle were miserable and you felt the way you feel on your worst days every day forever, we wouldn't be doing it this long. No, you know, I started in twenty fourteen and haven't quit since. And it's because I feel amazing. But yeah, that doesn't mean every moment is amazing, right right, but there are a lot more amazing moments as an intermittent faster than like prior to intermittent fasting.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, all right, So we have another question. This is from Nikki and Floras, Iowa. She said, Hello, I love your podcast. I had a quick question for you guys. For the last six months or so, I've been doing daily eighteen to twenty hour intermittent fasting. I'm also going through menopause, so I'm not sleeping very well. I just started taking a fast dissolved melotonein tablet to help me sleep, and it works great. I just realized I should probably look at the ingredients and I'm hoping this is not breaking my fast, but I have a feeling it may. It's a five milligram tablet. Usually I break it in half, but the ingredients include xylotol, dextrin, food starch and natural flavor, steric acid, and all sorts of other citric acid, all sorts of other ingredients here. She says, Uugh, that's a lot. I guess I assume melotanin was all natural, and apparently I was wrong. So Jen, do you have any suggestions for her?
Speaker 1: Well, that is definitely not going to be the melatonin that you're looking for. And there's so many different melatonin formulations that you're not going to taste. You just swallow it down like a capsule. They even have like slow release ones like I saw some like I was having some really some trouble sleeping at the beginning of August. Of course y'all know now that was when I was going through my the force early days and I wasn't sleeping, like I literally did not sleep for a week. I didn't sleep, I couldn't sleep. My mind was raising. I couldn't sleep, which is not like me. But even with the progesterone, I was waking up the melanite. I couldn't sleep, and I'm like, well, I wonder if melatonin would help. Well, melatonin makes me feel crazy. No meltone. It did not help. But I went and looked for some melotonin and I settled on one that had like layers to it. It was like one that was quick release and then the rest was slow release. And so I took that that would not break a fast in the same way because like you swallow it down and then the quick release layer pops out and then the slow release layer. It'spos to help you stay asleep anyway. I have thrown the melotone in a way because it makes me feel like I have a terrible hangover. It always has, but also not sleeping well makes you feel like I have a terrible hangover. Melotonin doesn't work for me, but I would look for a different formulation of the meliton.
Speaker 2: And I was gonna say, and now, most sleep doctors would would not advise taking five miligrams of melatonin. They really advise if you're going to take it short term, don't take it routinely, and take as low a dose as possible, Like I've read anywhere from one to three milligrams. But I did just find one that would be fine for the clean fast, and it is time released and it's three milligrams. So just to help you out, I'll drop that in show notes for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just feel so terrible on it. But I've also read the cautions about not taking it all the time, but it did not make my sleep better. I don't know if anything could have at that time dreams. It just makes me feel weird in my head, like like heavy, like not good.
Speaker 2: It's not sensitive though, like I mean when you take your progesterone before bedtime, like.
Speaker 1: Bam, you're goofy. I am, Yeah, my body reacts to things differently than I'm like, I can't take benadrola to yeah, I do. I get goofy. Bit it feels good. It feels like when I take my progress throne, I feel like, well, I feel so good. It doesn't affect you like that at all? Does it?
Speaker 2: Nope? Not at all.
Speaker 1: Like I didn't even realize it was doing that at first, like the first few times when I was taking it, and all of a sudden one day Chad was like, are you okay? You see I'm like, what are you talking about? Then I realized, actually I think I am. Then I connected it. Obviously it's the progester. But it feels like I've had like like a wine or something anyhow.
Speaker 2: And I'll be texting with Roxy and I and she'll start getting goofy and she'll say, I'm sorry, I already took my ground. She's like I can't find words anymore.
Speaker 1: True, And that just goes to show that we're all different in our know a chemical makeup. I should like take some progester and record the podcast. No, I won't do that. It would be too goofy. All right, Our next question. Our next question is from Wondering in London. Hello, Jen and Cherry. I discovered your podcast via Zoe and started intermittent fasting in January of twenty twenty four. I'm thirty five one hundred and seventy five centimeters tall, and I weigh about sixty five kilometers. I don't know why I keep suddenly saying kilometers. This is the second time I've done that. It's kilograms. It even has the kg. She does not weigh me that the other day I did. It's like my hit. My eyes are a hit when I read really fast, so I'm like looking ahead and my mouth is just saying one thing in my brain anyway, So she does not weigh kilometers. She has sixty five kilograms. What I was thinking, Sherry, was I have no idea. Would you do some calculation and figure out how tall?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Pay good? She said, although I haven't weighed in a while because I prefer to see how I fit and feel in my clothes. I have no notable health issues. I try to aim for nineteen five with some variations. I keep track with a fasting app and my average fast is seventeen and a half hours. My window is usually between three or four pm and nine PM. I never really struggled with my weight. My average natural BMI sits in the healthy range around twenty one to twenty two. But I struggled with fad diets, body image, and a relationship with food since my teenage years. When I reach to my lowest BMI of sixteen, for a year or so, I had hypothalamic amin rhea. Did I say both of those? Right? Is that right?
Speaker 2: Amen Aria?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That lasted even with a healthy BMI, which was frustrating because I was already following the general lifestyle recommendations, plant based, whole though diet, low stress level, moderate daily exercise, a mix of Pilate's yoga, et cetera. And exactly one year into intermittent fasting, my period's finally resumed. I think it's due to how much more relaxed I am around food when I fast. Because I don't restrict anymore, eating feels more intuitive and satiety is easier to reach. I don't really struggle with waves of hunger, though I don't feel as energized as i'd like to. Sometimes I feel a bit lightheaded and tired. So did you get a chance to pull all that together? I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did so smart BMI. The ideal range is thirty over seventy to thirty nine over seventy. She is thirty three free over seventy, so she's on the low end of the healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine, okay, okay. I think that's really really important to know, she said. I know how important it is to fast clean, so I only drink plain water and black coffee. However, I wonder if the soluble powdered coffee brand Es Cafe I drink two to four teaspoons per day is combatible with clean fasting. The ingredient is one hundred percent arabica, but as it is powder form, I wonder if we should consider it like macha as food because we do ingest a finely ground plant diluted in water. Thank you so much for your help.
Speaker 2: Well, there's sort of some mixed opinions on this. I mean, you're not really ingesting the finally ground plant. Basically, what they do is they make There's different ways to make this instant coffee. I've researched it things I never thought I would research. They basically like make coffee and dehydrate it or freeze dry it. There's different ways to do it. I will tell you that we have had fasters in the community who did discover, whether it was accidentally, like they always drink brood coffee, but they went on a trip and brought an instant powdered coffee with them, or they were vacationing somewhere and that's what they were offered. Or sometimes people start out drinking that thinking they're great, but you know, they're six months in and they are still struggling with fasting, and so they give it up and realize, like fasting is so much easier. Other people drink it every day and don't have any problem with it. So I don't have like a clear cut answer for you. If you think that it could be contributing to you feeling lightheaded and tired, I would go without it. That's the only way you're going to know. If it's the coffee, go without it, switch to a brood coffee, get some cold brew, clean fast approved coffee, do something else instead and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you may be somebody who needs electrolytes in your window or in the fast. In your fast or your window, it's really up to you when you take them. The thing is, when you're eating in your window, you ask where you should be getting your electrolytes from food. But if you can find a clean fast electrolyte, it might help you to take one when you wake up in the morning. Alternately, you can just take like a quarter teaspoon of some high quality salt, like a Celtic sea salt, a Himalayan salt, and dissolve it in some warm water and drink it like you would any other hot beverage. You can also just put it under your tongue and kind of hold it under your tongue sublinqually and let it kind of dissolve there. That's like a quick way to get in your body and see if that makes a difference. I am one that just needs more electrolytes and being lightheaded. That can be a sign that you could need some electrolytes, but it also can be a sign you're breaking your fast. So definitely experiment and see what helps make you feel better, because you shouldn't be feeling that like that why you're fasting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would have a couple of other things to look at. If you're lightheaded, that can have to do with blood pressure, So get your blood pressure checked and see if your blood pressure is low. And again electrolytes can make a difference there as well. And also you know you could be low in iron, you could be low in B twelve.
Speaker 2: Oh see that's the other thing. Because she's said she's plant based, Definitely get your twelve helve checked because like dizziness or lack of feeling of balance, like feeling dizzy going up the stairs, that can be a sign of B twelve deficiency.
Speaker 1: And we know that a plant based diet you need to supplement with BE twelve. And scientifically, I can explain why. It's because we're so we're too clean. We're too clean now, right, So when we used to eat food a long time ago, it had like dirt, it was dirty. We ate dirty food we didn't know and the dirty food we had napped the B twelve from like the soil. Right, Like animals, animals are a great source of B twelve because they get it from the soil and so they pass it on to us. But our plants are so clean we're missing it. So anyone on a plant based diet needs to supplement with B twelve. So check into that. And as I have experimented with being plant based here and there, my BE twelve was low. Then my doctor actually had me on BE twelve shots for a while. I was given them to myself share And I mean, I don't know. I didn't feel bad, I didn't feel better, but my levels were low, Like I never couldn't tell they were low. But being lightheaded or tired.
Speaker 2: Can be an indication, all right, So we have a question for Marissa in Pennsylvania. She said, I want to make sure our tweek I'm considering doesn't break a fast. Lately I've been hearing about perfect aminos and how they are great to take during a fast. They come in an unflavored powder or pills. Looking at the ingredients, they don't seem to have any food like items in the pills, but the powder has stevia, so I know the powder is a no. They advertise that they don't break a fast. Can you tell me if the pills are okay in the fast or should I take them in the eating window? Thank you, and I love your podcast. Well, they absolutely do break a fast. Sorry I hate to tell you that, but just put them in your window. And here's how you can ask yourself this question and figure it out. You're right about the stevia. You got that. So we have our three fasting goals. Number one, keep insulin low, and that's why we would avoid the stevia. We don't want to have this a fallat phase insulin response, so you're right on that one. Clean fast goal number two is we want to burn our stored fat for fuel, so we're not putting things in there like butter in our coffee, oil in our coffee. We're not having any source of fuel.
Speaker 1: But clean fast goal number three is we want to experience increased autophagy, so we avoid anything that is like protein or the building blocks of protein. And the perfect amino is you amino acid, that's the building block of protein. So during our fast, we want our body to be breaking down and recycling our own protein. That's our body's clean up time. So we put protein in during our eating window, and that would include any supplements that have any sort of protein or that's going to help us with building up, so that the eating window is our building up time, the fasting is our cleaning up time. So anything that is a nutrient, put it in during the during the eating window, keep it out of the fast so you can ask yourself that in the future, you can say, Okay, amino's building block of protein, I want to have increased autology during the fast. I'm going to save that for my eating window. Hopefully that helps.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, So before we get the week of the week, I just want to share about the success some of my coaching clients are having since we started working together. And I just want to remind anyone who's needing a little one on one troubleshooting to bust a plateau, or just some problem solving to figure out how to balance fasting with life, please reach out to me. We can work on all of this. We can work on mindset, we can work on setting personal goals for motivation and just accountability to yourself. So one of my weekly clients, I'm so proud of her. She's having huge success in all of the above. After just three sessions, she is thriving. She has busted a multi month plateau and she's feeling great. Another client was really struggling to shorten up her fasting window in order to see her weight loss goal. She was closed, but she just couldn't get there. And with some consistent work and weekly sessions and some daily check ins, she is now nailing her eating windows. Even with a vacation and a very pesky kidney stone that she suffered after vacation, she has still been doing great. So you would like some help, I do book out several weeks in advance, so don't wait reach out today. Just email me at Cherry at fast feastrepeat dot com. And once again, Sherry has one R sh E R I.
Speaker 1: I love that you're doing this because people need all levels of support. I keep bringing this back to my life as a teacher. I got the kid in the corner. You could just hand on the copy of the math book and say go, and that kid could teach themself math or her self math all day long. They don't need any support from you. They just they got it right. That would be like someone who just can read the books about fasting and they're on their own they go, whereas other people need a little more help. We've got these podcasts. They help people the community another layer of support, and then some people need that one on one. They just need it. Just like in the classroom, some kids needed to come sit with me and go over the math a little bit before they could get it. And there's no shame in that. And different phases of our life we might need more support in other ways.
Speaker 2: Well. And what's interesting too is like sometimes people think they're doing things right, but then when they start telling me what they're doing, I can identify, like instantly, like what is holding them back? Or it's just sometimes people like to tell themselves stories like I'm doing all I can do. But then when I really we sit and talked about it and I'm like, well, tell me why you feel that way, we can really figure out like their holding themselves back out of fear or they don't they're afraid to be a little uncomfortable, but if we can work through that together and they know they have somebody supporting them, or sometimes they just need somebody to tell them what to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are.
Speaker 2: People out there who just really like to follow instructions right. They don't want to think, they don't want to. My husband's one of these people. He doesn't want a problem solve, he doesn't want to have to use his brain too hard. He's got a busy brain anyway. He just really wants it lined out, do this and this and check back in with me. And if I want him to do chores, I just make him a list and he's going to do it. If I say, hey, if you don't have a thing to do today, why don't you do some work around the house, Nothing's going to happen because he doesn't know where to even start. So sometimes you just need that person to help you identify where to start, what to tweet, what next. And I'm having a lot of fun helping them and really seeing their success.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and we know from all these years we've been working. When did you start? Was it twenty sixteen?
Speaker 2: So I started?
Speaker 1: Did you start alriting twenty eighteen?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, like January maybe January of twenty eighteen, because we went on the first cruise in June of twenty eighteen, and I'd been moderating for.
Speaker 1: A while before then. Yeah, so yeah, so twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Think asked me to be your roommate for the second cruise that we hadn't even taken the first cruise.
Speaker 1: We hadn't even met yet. I was like, I can tell I really like Shary. Yeah, just from interactions behind the scenes and in the community or in the Facebook group. It was the Facebook group then, but yeah, So we've been helping people since Sherry, since twenty eighteen as a moderator in the Facebook groups back then, and so we really know we've seen it all and don't be embarrassed. Also like say, you know what, I'm not nailing the clean fast, help me or whatever it might be. So now it's time for our tweak of the week. I always say, tweak it till it's easy. But the tweak that works for me might not be the one that works for you. And that's why it is super helpful to you. How other intermittent fasters are making intermittent fasting work for them. This is Sally from Aliston, Ontario. She said, for me, when I open my window, I have to have a good amount of protein twenty five to thirty grams or I am grazing all afternoon unsatiated. I cannot get by on a snack. I tried it. This sustains me until dinner and dinner has become a smaller meal than it used to be. Another pleasant surprise, saving a lot on groceries. And I want to talk about that for just a minute if I could, Uh, I wish I could go back and revise. I often wish I could go back and revise things. Book books that are out in the world that have a recommendation in both Fast Feast Repeat. And then when I wrote twenty eight day Fast Start day by day, I followed the same format for the fast start that I had in Fast East Repeat, and I recommend a snack and a meal. I think there are a lot of people like Sally who need to open with a meal. And I think there are a lot of people trying to open with a snack and then finding that that's not satiating. Then they overeat, and then they end up eating a whole second meal because it's dinnertime.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it depends on what you define a snack ass Well, that's true. Like if you're eating snack foods, yeah, and you're not gonna have a lot of nutrition in there. If you're opening with veggies and grapes and a handful of almonds, that may not be really satisfying. That's not a lot of food, so it really depends on That's why for me, I can't even tell you do I open with a snack or do I open with a meal because my snack could be somebody else's meal, And for me, hot food makes all the difference. Opening with something hot after over eating something cold makes a lot of difference. And how satisfied I am through the you know, up until my main meal.
Speaker 1: But it goes back to that, the recommendation snack and then meal. People lock into that and think that is what they should be doing. So I wish I had written it more flexibly and even said snack, meal, meal, snack, think about it like that. My whole point was that for weight loss for me, two full meals was not a weight loss approach for me, no matter how long my window was. If I tried to squeeze two full meals in five hours, that was not a window weight loss window for me. Two meals and eight r two meals, two full meals. And like I'm a volume meter, so what I considered to be a meal someone else, what I considered to be a snack might be someone's lunch, right, But I wish that I hadn't put it that way and said, be flexible with it and figure it out. So if when you open your window, this is for everybody. If when you open your window you're locked in on the idea, well, Jen said, start with a snack and then you're starving, and then you keep eating. Then what you're opening with is not sufficient. Now that I am by myself and I am not sitting down at a meal time with Chad, and bless his heart, we know one thing about Chad was he was original meal times. Like literally the clock didn't say five o'clock. He wasn't going to have it by food till it's aid five o'clock. So we were having our dinner around six. So I had to or even after that, I had to schedule my window around when Chad wanted to have dinner. But now that I am free to do what I want, I am opening with my main meal whenever that might be. I start cooking, I have my main meal, I eat it, and then later I'm not having a second main meal. But maybe like five thirty six o'clock, like maybe I open it two thirty, maybe I open at three thirty, whatever it might be, have my main meal and maybe six o'clock I need a little something else. I mean, just whatever it might look like. But it really that is what's working really really well for me. And I think back to when I was so successful as a teacher, and it was so easy to fast till I got home from work and I didn't even think about eating at work. I got home and I would start making dinner and so I would have my main meal. Right. So once I retired and started, I would want to eat around two and I would have like a full meal and then have to have another full meal. So that was just really too much for me. So keep experimenting with what you call it and how big it is, and even if you have to feed a family. I finally got to the point where I realized that wasn't working well. And if you need to open with something hearty, even if you're eating by yourself, and then later you have to put a full meal on the table for your family, have a snack sized portion of that full meal. Just really really think about what suits you. But it probably won't be having one full meal at two o'clock and then another full meal later with your family's probably not going to be it, but anyway, I just want to take it.
Speaker 2: Yet I would have to. That is, if you were like plant based, Yeah, oh that's true. You may absolutely need two full meals eating one.
Speaker 1: You know, because of the calorie density of those plant based foods, especially if you're a low fat, whole food plant based and that that's the concept of calorie density that really makes a difference. And I tend to eat very colorically dense foods because I love dairy, I love cheese, and those are more colorically dense and they're also more satisfying over time. But I also pair that with a whole lot of veggies.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, all right, Well, we love to leave you with inspirational motivational quotes, and this week we have a quote from Denzel Washington that was shared by Vivian. Dreams without goals are just dreams, and ultimately they feel disappointment. On the road to achieving your dreams, you must apply discipline, but more importantly, consistency, because without commitment, you'll never start, but without consistency you'll never finish. That is so good, and that applies to fasting so much. I always say it takes like discipline, dedication, consistency, to really build the habit and like that quote, just nailed it.
Speaker 1: The magic is in the clean fast, the magic is in your eating window, but the magic is also in the repeat.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening today. We would love to have you join us in the Delayed on Tonight community, where you can interact with both me and Sherry, plus the most supportive bunch of intermittent fasters you'll find anywhere. Go to Jenstevens dot com slash community to join us.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to subscribe to this podcast to your favorite podcast app, and if you haven't already, please leave us a five star review that helps new listeners find the show and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We are a community driven podcast, so to submit your success stories, your questions, your favorite tweak it till It's Easy moments, or anything else you want us to share on the podcast, go to Fast Feast Repeat dot com slash submit and then listen each week to see if we share your submission or answer your question.
Speaker 2: Until next week. Thanks for listening.