Speaker 1: Leeds Saints and Hu k Are lost. One act of foul play could come at a cost Mikey Lewis Simbon for tripping someone up with the Broncos in town for the World Club Cup. Warrington's win put a smile on Sam's face, but it's currently the Dragons who sit in first place. Halifax Panthers have gone to the wall. Will there be more clubs who will soon take a fall? The first round of Super League has been and gone. Here all about it now with Big Lee and John Welcome to the ninth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league. How are you Johnny?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well that was I have to say, great, great poetry there. I'm getting better each week. I'm going to do about every week. Now you're sent about heart. People will think I've married to a man or something.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm very anything wrong with that. You can marry anyone you're like, then, no offense. You know I'm a man.
Speaker 1: This weekend, John, We've probably just had a a podcast canceled now for that for what I've just said. But all the events looked good, didn't they? At Super League. It was a great weekend I think for British rugby league. Not many people are as critical of British ruble league in general as you are I and we get criticized a lot for that. But at the same time I was so happy for the game. What's all this weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think a few people have said best opening round of super legue either. I'm not seen all thirty one rounds even though I am not old, but look, it was a fantastic round as you said, just great to see everything from Thursday nights open to the games on Friday, the games on Saturday, and even the cast came just gone past. You know, cass were very good, big you know, sellout upsets, some great trials, a bit of controversy, bit of drama and everything. So yeah, I mean more more of the same place it was. Yeah, I think it was probably the best opening super League good hope for so it's fantastic to see for me.
Speaker 1: For me, it was all the events look good. I mean when I think back of opening rounds of super League, obviously the very first one when Paris played Sheffield managed to get the win. All the events looked good. It was great crowds and that's all we ask for, isn't it. We don't care that stadia are small at times. That's rugby league. People don't care about that. We just want to see what we've got maximized. We had a record crowd in Warrington that's more than half a century. They've broken a record that's over half a century, best non Derby crowd for a decade. In Hall it was house full sign everywhere. In terms of the football played, I mean, obviously over time I will be doing more and more analysis videos and of course we've spoken regularly about the caliber of signings, et cetera. But in terms of sporting theater it was it was definitely excellent. I mean all games were something in the region of twenty points to eighteen or sixteen or something like that. So I guess my question to you, John is how has this happened? Is it just a freak that it's all happened this weekend or have you seen things on the ground that have made this happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a good question. I think. Obviously, you know there is the rap changes which has spent things up a bit. There was a lot of penalties, I know a lot of people complaining about the refereeing, and obviously there are variations between you know, what is considered penalty and six again what isn't. But I thought it was just great contest. Look, first game around the season. Everyone's prepared months for this, like everyone every team, every player is going to be out for it. Most teams will have, you know, at least seventeen fit players, so they're not carrying injuries like their will throughout the season. And I think what happened with York and whole KR, I mean, I'm sure Brudford and Louise were already pumped up and really good for their for their games, but he probably just gave a bit more confidence to them as well, just you know the fact that hey, you know, we might have been a championship team, but we can we can match it with with the example of York, the best team in the competition last year. So yeah, it just did had a bit of everything. You know, There was there was a bit of drama off the field. There was you know, John Wilkin speaking out very bold about Saint Helen's. You know, we had some fantastic tries like the weather, and then this is a factor obviously for anyone missing Australia. Weather in England it's rain every day this year, so what are we for about six weeks and it is also bloody cold, and I think in Catalans in the south of France there was something like one hundred and eighty degree wins or something before it was a midfield but some of the skill on show that the underarm off fload to set up on these, you know, the physicality of that was was brilliant and you know Kaye Taylor Ray stepping around like it had a bit of everything. So it's exactly what you would want. I think people say this a lot as well, but you know, so often things off the field that let the sport down, but the players in regular league very rarely do, yeah, let the sport down. So they did. The players did their part, and I think the fans also deserve credit because they did their part as well. They turned up even in pretty ship weather. They turned up in the Ansiel. I was at the York game. The atmosphere there was fastic. The Warrington game on the TV, that atmosphere looked a bit, looked great, at Lee great a whole you know, just everything just came together. I mean, whether there's a bit of luck in that, I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But has there been any different marketing from the game? I mean, you live in the country.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a new ad campaign, but I don't think there's been There's not been an increase in ad budget or anything like that. And if anything, I think in terms of national newspaper coverage and maybe mainstream coverage has probably been less. But look, I think all the clubs, really like Warrington, have put a lot of money into their stadium and you know, setting up that first game, and you know, Lee and Wakefield did a lot to sort of you know, the fan experience of their game. So I think everyone's working hard to maximize what they've got. But yeah, it just all came together, and you know, it's been it's been fantastic. There's so much, so many talking points from all of those games. I'm sure we won't better cover them all in this pod.
Speaker 1: Some some so called journalists that you've expressed the reservations about in the past I won't name, decided to say that it was vindication for the fourteen teams being brought into super He called that one a bit early.
Speaker 2: Some people have suggested just on that, just on that, I think I think colleagues team that's said the same. Look, I would say it's round one, so you wouldn't know, you don't want to go to early.
Speaker 1: There's been shot results in the opening round of Super leau quite regularly. I mean last year we had a one nil victory. Yeah let me let me yeah, yeah, of course, and that was fantastic from me, And I wouldn't say that. I mean, that was an upset of sorts.
Speaker 2: But Lee, you know, been a top team for a couple of years now, so it wasn't the biggest episode.
Speaker 1: I think the result that the score line was the upset. Yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: But look, you know, I don't want the expansion of fourteen teams to fail. That's I want to see the game thrive and grow and get bigger and more popular. That's that's why I, you know, do what I do and push for change and you know, you know, critique things because I'm passionate about the sport. I wanted to see it do well. It'd be great with the fourding teams can do. But I think people either criticizing or having questions about it they are valid because you know there's there's numerous voices when they're valid. But yeah, let's let's judge accurately at the end of the season after twenty seven rounds to see how it is. But look, it's a fantastic start and that, you know that should be celebrated. Let's introduce ourselves. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 1: I'm obviously British sounding person who's lived in Australia for two decades. I've been a rugby league coach in this country at pretty high levels for a long time. John, you're a journal in the UK and instead of us going you know through the whole rigmarole that can just listen to some old podcasts or read the description. I'm just trying to make this pod intro shorter, John, because it was the longest in history. It's still being aired on the Ashes Rugby League podcast and the Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, as well as the Rugby League Coach YouTube too. The idea is we want you all to come to Super League three sixty and the Rugby League Coach YouTube for that. Let's give our contact details out John, so I'll go first admin at Rugby League coach dot com. Dot au is my email Rugby League coach dot com. Dot tay you is my website at Rugby League Coach is my social media handle.
Speaker 2: John. You can get me on x Johnny D. Davison. You can get me on a Facebook at John Davidson Journalist and on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com.
Speaker 1: Longreads John's tweet of the week, which I am the committee for. It is a narrow mind which cannot look at a subject from various points of view? Would you like to elaborate on that, John, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it was a funny week, obviously I had a well, it was basically a double boat spread on the Bradford Bulls and their return of Super League and the state of Honzel Stadium on was online on Thursday and in the paper on Saturday. That story didn't go down with a lot of There was some interesting feedback. I think journalistic turd was probably my favorite. But the point, I guess, I mean a lot of the people who simply have a problem the article hadn't actually read it, because if I had, they know I'd interviewed a Bradford fan who was very positive and complimentary about oddsall and obviously the head coach Kurk Haggerty, who was obviously complimentary about Oddsall. I also interviewed Adrian Land, the coach of Lee who played at Odsall in Well around two thousand and two thousand and one, and if you actually look at his quotes, he was he was happy, he wants to see Bradford do well, He's glad they're back, but he wasn't that complimentary about the pitch at Onsall, which is his opinion. You know, look, people are allowed to have opinions. Lye thing about Bradford's return. Yeah, it shocked a lot of people that they finished tenth and you know a lot of legitimate questions there about the RFL buying odds All from them for a million pound twelve thirteen years ago and then them selling it back to them more recently for what was reported I think around two undred and fifty grand. So they are all legitimate questions. And my point is you can't just ignore things that are happening. There's a lot of people in rugby league who just want to if anything bad or questionable happens, I just ignore it and want to focus on the positives. I prefer to live in the real world and looking good and bad me do.
Speaker 1: That's why we get on the Bradford fans seem to be particularly touchy. Now, I know a lot of people from Bradford, and I've met many from Bradford and the past, and a lovely band after the Jamie Pope can't know they're a lovely They're a lovely community.
Speaker 2: But they must be.
Speaker 1: The touchiest people on Facebook and Instagram when it comes to comments about their team, they are very precious.
Speaker 2: I understand a little bit in the sense that well, they went through three administrations and for a period there they were arguably the biggest club in world rugby league. You know, they were winning World Cup challenges and Super Hi Grand Forms and Cups and you know, producing great players like saying versus et cetera. And there's been a fair fall, but yeah, there is a there is a contingent out there who were very touchy. But I'd have the same with virtually every club, whether it would be hol of c said Helen's Toronto fans were particularly touchy. But look, I know some Bradford fans and they're great people and they share some of my thoughts as well. So yeah, we we move on. Play on.
Speaker 1: Jack Oh Hastings will talk about what he did a little bit later, so we don't need to elaborate on that but at the moment. But the Rugby League tweet of the week was from at John A one eight hundred two three eight two, who said, in reference to this issue, he said, shortest honeymoon period since Henry the h got a new act for Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's not bad, that's pretty funny. Actually to preach the you're going to preach the comedy.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Socials pop at Lee of the week zero. I am a very popular person at the moment. I've had I've had so much, so many comments on my socials lately of people agreeing with me and adding to my thoughts.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's.
Speaker 1: May maybe this same wave as what's helped super League be such a good product this weekend.
Speaker 2: Who maybe I'm on that it's usually Aussie blokes wanting a camera and bash, isn't it? That's right?
Speaker 1: Maybe the moons and the universe are moving in a certain way. Questions James Varley our Friends said whether the NRL should invest in a franchise in South Wales. Right from grassroots community up to a Super E club. Rather, I should say he asked this. The rugby passion is there and rugby union is in a terrible state in Wales at the moment, so John Wales are on the knees rugby wise. Should the MRL seize this and decide to try and do something in South Wales?
Speaker 2: I don't think the NRL, just from looking at from a business case, I don't think they would ever invest in, say one club and not have a say in how you know, the wider game has been run. That doesn't seem like a smart decision to me. There's been a few people over here obviously for those who don't find rugby union in Wales, Rugby union's being perhaps it much like a training rugby union, or even worse than them in a massive hole for a few years, ever since they beat the Wallows in the twenty three World Cup and now they're cutting franchises their clubs as well. But insane that I don't think just you know, well, the RFL doesn't have any money who invested Wales To put it mildly, but I don't think you can just engineer rugby league in Wales like Obviously it's a small sport there. There are some people into it, but we've had the Crusaders and Super League before they went bust, what was it about thirteen years ago, forteen years ago. I think there need to be a whole kind of strategy for Whales, which would take a long time. You can't just whack a club.
Speaker 1: In there, so it would need it would need another Darren Lock here and Grant we sure.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah. I mean there's only one semi professional club in there, that's North Wales Crusaders West Wales which was Southwest before that went bust a couple of years ago. Yeah, they don't get big crowds. There's not a huge you know, Wales as a rugby league playing nation if you remember from I guess even the mid nineties when they did well in the World Cup. But before that was because of all the rugby union players who were coming across. But that doesn't happen anymore. So I think it's a bit pie in the sky in the short term. I'm the sky.
Speaker 1: James David Right, how does the NRL Sky Sports deal work? Do they pay extra on top of Super League or is it included? And so that one, John, I mean, I think right now super League is on Fox Sports and KO in Australia simply because News Corp have the rights to it in the UK. But I say that apparently it's not on TV, it's not on Sky Sports in New Zealand, so you probably know more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, News Corp don't have the you don't want to ownership of Sky in the UK anymore, so that was that changed a couple of years ago. I think I don't know for sure, but my understanding is it's just sort of some reciprocal agreement. I don't think they get it they pay any money for the rights.
Speaker 1: Who owns News Corp in England?
Speaker 2: Now that's a very good question. Off the top of my I don't know, but obviously.
Speaker 1: With the I think it's do Zone over here now. I think, yes, there's designer owned Fox, but it is different. It's not the sort of Rupert Murdoch Lochlan Murdock situation, which obviously the Murnoch's, particularly Locklan Murdock I'm not even sure if he still does. But he owned the Brisbane Broncos, didn't he and strong links with Rugular But that's not the case anymore. I think it's just a reciproable agreement because super League ratings in Australia would be I mean, particularly because of the time difference is kind of non existent. They're not They're not a raiding content, so I don't think there's really any money coming in for them. Trent ninety four on ninety four W Trent ninety four w on Instagram. It was a bit late with this message because we've already planned and we're about to record this one. But he said, would love a full nerd breakdown of the super League strategic review documents in the next Super League three It's sixty episode and he said, try and record it next Thursday. It didn't realize we changed to your Sunday night. A shame it dropped the day after the podcast came out. I found section K France, Wells, London, Scotland, Island Overseas relationships an expansion particularly interesting. What could this look like and how could it be achieved? So are you well, first of all, we're not nerds? Are we John or are we?
Speaker 2: I think I'll probably I was probably called that in high school.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a Yeah, I think I might be a nerd trapped in a rugby league player's body, old rugby league players body. That's something we might do, might get kap plan back on, maybe Broxton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it will be good. Look, I think I obviously read through when it came through. It's not really it's not a plan. It's more of a wish list. I mean a lot of the to be fair, a lot of the stuff has just recycled the old ideas. It's not really a lot of you know, it's like, you know, have a plan for France and Wales and Scotland and London. It's like, yeah, I mean that's great, but what is the plan and who's paying for it? And you know, like having Nine's rugby League, which we already went down that path and then that kind of died off. Moving the Challenge Cup from Wembley, I mean that's been talked about for a long time. Having a charity shield game between the Super Grand Floorals and the Challenge Cup. I believe that's been done before. So yeah, there's a lot of stuff in there that's just really more of a wish list. But how is it going to be going to be achieved and who pays for it? Kind of the questions that there are no answers for. At this point, we.
Speaker 1: Might get the merge together. News wise, I think the big one out of the weekend is that mikey Lewis. Yeah, I could potentially miss the World Club Challenge Las Vegas for the trip he did late in the York Night's loss. When is the disciplinary hearing.
Speaker 2: Well, usually they released the charges Monday, usually early afternoon, and then obviously if he is charged and he fights the charge, then they'll be here on Tuesday night. Yeah. Usually with the trip it can be a red card. It was a yellow on Thursday, and it could be a one or a too much band. I will be quite surprised, And I'm not saying there's any conspiracy theories, but recent history would tell me I'd be quite surprised if he gets banned for the World Cup Challenge. I seem to remember Harry Smith two years ago Wigan played Cass just before they played Penrith. I think it was Luke Rooney, but anyway, Harry Smith picked up the fallback and dumped him someone on his head at least out of the horizontal. I think he got simp in for that. He received no baan, which it was fairly dangerous, much more dangerous than a trip, I would say, trying to spear someone on the ground or accidentally experience again, shall we say so? Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if Mikey does get banned, and even if he is given a one game he miraculously gets off. I won't be won't be that shot.
Speaker 1: Saint Helens. A week is a long time in rugby league. A week ago they flogged working to look good, to be honest in terms of attack. Now Jack Wellsby has picked up an injury that could at least be a few weeks. Jackson Hastings went to the sideline and mimicked as if he was going to climb over and attack a fan, and was certainly arguing with a fan or fans for for a length of time. Mike Rush, the CEO, was also announced he's leaving and his association with the club that he.
Speaker 2: Has. Somebody's anounced it then, no, no, well, that story has been written. I'll point this outly because I was hearing about this last week. I approached Mike Rush for a comment. He denied he was leaving his role. I also asked the medium manager who's denied that he was leaving. Now the rumors have continued. There's rumors that it's going to be announcement on Monday. This is all kind of related to the Mark personval issue and a bit of a power strugg the club. But we will see how it plays out. But yeah, things are all not well at Helms. Shall we say there is no smoke without fire? John?
Speaker 1: Since we lasted a podcast Halifax folded Now we're about nine days I think since we lasted the podcast, because we're going into the Sunday review mold so that it comes out on a Monday.
Speaker 2: That was a real shock, m it was.
Speaker 1: I've done a little bit of analysis, John, And if you look at the professional structure, is there thirty five professional teams?
Speaker 2: Now? If you take Halifax down, I think there's thirty four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay. The three teams that have folded have basically been in position twelve, seventeen and eighteen on that if that was one big rugby league table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the thing is that you're not including if you go back another three and a bit years you also had Cornwall, West Wales and London Scholars to.
Speaker 1: That as well, and they were at the bottom end weren't they There were all League One clubs yet, but what's but they were at the bottom end of League One is my point. Yes, but these guys Featherstone, Salford and now Halifax. In Salford's case they were in Super League. In terms of Halifax, they were going quite well last year, so they've obviously spent some money. Featherstone the same spent some money in the past to achieve good things on the field. Yeah, so there's a pattern there with all three of those clubs.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, there's there's individual circumstances for all three, so I wouldn't put a blanket thing over And obviously with Salford I've written about that numerous times over the last twelve months. If you have a look at my free lngread with Paul King. I think that goes in a lot of detail. But the Halifax example, I did an exclusive probably eighteen months ago, and they were they owed quite a bit of money in rent to They don't own their stadium Machae, it's owned by the Calderdale Council. They owed a fair bit of money in rent and that winding up order which eventually sent them bus last week was actually issued in twenty twenty four and they had phoned under the radar. But the common theme I think you could say lee is the TV deal for Super League. So pre COVID, say twenty nineteen, it was forty million a year. Now that meant one point eight million to all twelve Super League clubs and then quite a big chunk went to the championship in League One. So at the top of the championship it was determined. Funding was determined on how you finished on the table, which I always thought was madness because not every club got the same amount and it wasn't fair. But the top clubs were getting half a million now because the TV deal was almost gone, But it's about twenty one and a half million at the moment. Those clubs who were getting half a million are now getting one hundred and forty thousand, and then the lower end clubs are getting twenty thirty grand, but they're still spending. Like the wages for part time rugby league for players is crazy in England.
Speaker 1: It's much more than especially at the top end that was pushing together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and those clubs I don't know much about Halifax specifically, sorry, but I know with Featherstone because I wrote a lot about them. They were paying wages they could not afford, they were not paying pensions. Players at Featherston had told me they never got paid pensions and they had numerous debts accumulating. And Featherston also got I think it was two million quid from the Wakefield council, you know, the same as Castleford and Wakefield did. So yeah, it's just bad financial mismanagement. But the whole structure, Championship League One structure and the sustainability is just off the charts in terms of what the crowds they get and the interest in the competitions and the players what they earn. It's just not It's never been sustainable. So could you predict more? Can you predict more that will be in peril? I wouldn't say predict predict more because obviously there's been issues around hold them. But they did pay their winding up petition last week. Did North Wales sort their issues out? Well, that's a really interesting one because obviously there was allegations that players weren't getting paid. Seems to have gone quiet. They're obviously playing the season. But I do think that the current system there isn't just there isn't enough money or enough fans or enough interest to sustain you know, the current system. I don't. I don't think this kind of full time and then almost full time, a little bit part time, and then very you know, minor part time works. I just I never thought it has with what was thirty seven clubs which is now thirty three clubs. Yeah, I think unless the TV deal goes up, we could be in for more pain in the coming months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk some football. The York nineteen Hulkingston Rovers eighteen, the newly promoted side that we believe OKR may have asked to play before the World Club Challenge, ended up getting the chocolates. I have done an awful lot of analysis on Hulkington Rovers in the off season, and I've got to be honest, based on what I saw, they didn't seem to do much different to what I outlund in LISVID. And of course, when the videos I analyzed tended to be the Challenge Cup Final and the Grand Final, when they were basically at their in theory peak with that rustiness as well that you get in the first game of the season. Ok I looked a bit average John and it doesn't look good for the World Cup challenge based on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was a few things that went obviously, you know, York were fired up their own home, you know, their debut and Super League. It was pissing down with rain and the weather can be a bit of a leveler. Hokkoir lost in Hadley in the warm up and then Jess Litton went off for Hia second third minute in. But yeah, they worked, they looked they were rossy. Look, York's defense early on was amazing there through everything. Hulkau's attack was for me, was a bit one dimensional. They just tried to barge through the middle and you're defended that really well. But look, Holka I came back into the game and at what eighteen six, with twenty minutes to go, that had the game won essentially, and then there was a massive brain explosion from like e Lewis, he tripped Lean Harris, the York half back. There was no need for it, and that sent them down to twelve men and then they scored two tries and look they just yeah, they took their chances. It was a really strange game in that way. But look, it was a fantastic result and you know, you've got to York is just such a great story, like you've got to be happy for them, But yeah, it was pretty disappointed in whole Car. Yeah, they'll need to and I have no doubt that will be better against the Broncos, but that will need to lift several several notches to have a chance of beating the Broncos.
Speaker 1: In this week's analysis video, were actually going to look at some of the ways that the tries were scored and how they were conceded, because what many coaches will be doing this week, John is looking at their opposition this week and seeing if one edge is slightly weaker than the other, if they were conceding tries in the middle of the field in terms of you know, around the forwards, if they were conceding breaks in the middle of the field in terms of near the halfway line. Therefore, I've done a bit of analysis in and around that. Now York got a little bit wrong on their own goal line, and that will be a worry for them because, like you said, whole k R were very direct and whole k R's tries were basically forwards falling over the line, right, So so I mean, I don't know if you should be conceding those tries at the top level, quite frankly. And a word of caution for all those excited by to lose Bradford and York your first game. If you don't, if you don't win your first game, or don't play well in your first game, then it's only going to get harder from there. Basically, in terms of whole KR, one of the things I picked up during the off season is when they are defending, particularly particularly in their own half, they can be too aggressive sometimes, John So sometimes you have to just make a tackle, particularly on you've got one goal line, and if you are too aggressive, that leads to things like coming out of the line trying to hit someone. So Joe Burgess, for example, got one very wrong for York's first try. He didn't need to come out of the line. There was a couple of occasions too where players came out of the line to try and hit someone and it just led to breaks or tries. And I guess when they play Brisbane this week, they've got to be smarter than that. They absolutely have got to be smarter than that. Now I know they have to be physical on paying hests. But at the same time you've got to make defensive plays that have a less less margin for error, so in other words, less chance of failing and okay, getting that balance quite wrong, I'm finding and if they don't fix it very quickly, and Brisbane attack clicks and Brisbane have done what many World Club Challenge teams from Australia have done when they've won, they've had an opposed session a week before. Because this is something I analyze quite significantly. I like to see British teams playing Australian teams. It's my favorite thing, like the Ashes. And basically some Australian teams come over and I remember stories. I won't name the team, I won't name the coach, but I can tell you a story that during a World Club Challenge game Wants the coach, resplendent in Hawaiian shirt, decided to have an abolution on the main concourse halfway halfway through the first half, not on the main concourse, in the toilets and the main So so that is a that is a sign that some of them come on holiday as well. But Brisbane Broncos are preparing properly for this and there's going to be a big week for whole KR but don't worry, we'll go back to that soon. The Catalans twenty four Huddersfield ten. That was probably the only crowd john that wasn't full house signs or nearly. There was a few empty seats there. But jeez, it was persisting down in south of France.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think obviously it was. It was rainy, there was a huge amount of minor and I think they'd been like weather warnings in in Perpunon so and you know, in fairness not not having a crack at Huddersfield, but they probably don't take a lot of fans either, so I think it was it was seven thousand and something in their average last year was nine in a bit thousand in Generally you get more away fans when it mops up and we move in the summer. But I thought it was quite an entertaining game. I just felt defended quite well earlier. But it was some lovely play from Catlaiins. I think the player of the match for me was the center. I'm just trying to remember his name, Solomona. I don't know actually how to pronounce it, but for tape. Yeah, he destroyed I think it was tanau Mille on numerous occasions, scored a try, set up a try and outrageous offload. Charlie Stains looked good at fullback. Obviously he's a winger, but he's playing a fullback. And Lewis Dodd had some lovely player and so did TV Sexton and will be back in the NRL in twelve months. So what exactly Catlaians after a pretty shit twenty fifteen, we'll get banned on YouTube. Sorry, pretty average twenty twenty five they needed then they played well, the well deserved the victory the Dragons.
Speaker 1: I wanted to mention Lewis Dodd because he did some great things for Catalan's first try, sort of shimmy across it. Wore were like a completely different player to the one that was at South Sydney and he looks liberated. And I know he's had a contract extension before the season started, so good on him. Good to see him back on his dancing feet. Huddersfield defense, like I said, I'm on this same of looking at where they were weaker, looked absolutely labored in the middle. I mean, I know the field was wet and slosh here, but it looked tired and it was frightfully out of shape on the edges, particularly the right edge, which I think was Fatarpe and Milne. I think, is that right?
Speaker 2: So yeah, right?
Speaker 1: So what happened? What happens John? When players know that the opposition center or people on that side of the field have got it over them physically, they tend to over over indulge in terms of trying to fly out of the line. And I guess this is what I'm referring to in terms of okay, are they need a bit more composure? Well, Huddersfield lost all composure there and whoever playing them this week, I think we'll be having a real go at that edge before this field. Warrington twenty four Saint Helen's fourteen. I mean, it's so interesting this Sam Burgess is a coach under pressure and all the offseason noises were how much better Saint Helen's were going to be an attack? Instead it was Warrington's night. It was a sellout, it was a dominant win and like I said, a week is a long time in rugby league. One thing about Paul Rowley sides John and have analyzed his sides from when he was coach of Salford. They tend to be a bit looser, in significantly looser in defense than they are in attack. I think they're a bit too heavily leaned in attack, and based on round one, this could be an issue the right edge of Saint Helen's I think it was Robinson mister tackle for one try, uh Sailor mister tackle for the second tries. When Wendell Sailor's son Tristan was a speed bump for much of the name it was that would suggest why he's been used at fullback.
Speaker 2: It was well. The the interesting thing I found was that he was at six with Hastings at seven, and they had Joint Lomax on the back as a as a backup hooker. Johnny Lomax is a fantastic footballer, but he's not a hooker, so that that was really odd. And Sailor's not six for me, so obviously Wellsby is injured, so Saylor you would think will be at fullback this weekend in round two. But that dynamic just didn't really work, and I think the Saints attack was it wasn't wasn't great. I mean, I had one try, which for me was a definite try. I think they know the video referenced under that one, but I don't think it changed the outcome of the game because I think Warrington were well deserved victor victors.
Speaker 1: To me, smart coaches tend to put a team out early in the year that's better defensively because your combinations tend to take a while to click. And this seems like a team that's been put out there to attack from Saint Helens. And if you're going to go out to attacks straight away, you needed to click straight away basically, otherwise your defense is going to be under more pressure. And like I said, I mean I thought they were technically a little bit poor, a little bit too spread in d so many of their players were mixed up between if they had to come up and in or up and out. And these are all similar things I saw under Rolly at Salford. So it's been a it's been a chess chastening, chastening week, I think, chasing week for Saint Helens, and it'd be really interesting to see what they do this week, cause I think they have to travel to France.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they they're playing to lose. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'll look up the I think it's Catalano. I've got the fixtures at the end and we'll talk through them.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 1: I think whoever they play the the coach will be looking at their the Saint Howard's right edge, which will be the attacks left.
Speaker 2: Now they've got They've got Lee at home, which is a tough game. Oh why where did they guess front from Lee twenty six leads fourteen? Your thoughts on that, John Well, I was watching the Warranty game which was all at the same time, so I've only seen a few clips. But yeah, look like Lee we're really good, deserve their victory. Leads had a few injuries now Jake Connor, which is you know, a massive miss the main of steel. But yeah, I mean, look like I think Lee are a very good team and they have been for a couple of years. You can't you can't write them off. And you know they scored a one an amazing try just to lock a lay and the ability to keep the ball alive and play what he sees in front of him. So yeah, not a not a massive surprise, I would say, but obviously for Leeds a disappointing start for them for everyone.
Speaker 1: Leads were a bit soft in the middle for the first two lead tries, just going up a little bit high, but then so were leaf for both Leeds first tries too. It was it was one of those games a little bit. Do you remember the crazy try from the start of the second half from the kickoff.
Speaker 2: That was I think it was jack Usia. That was just embarrassing. I mean imagine if Brad Arthur had here, he would have been pointing out that was that was, that was, That was under ten stuff for me.
Speaker 1: And the Leeds fans were singing testing new is see your next Tuesday apparently, and I think that was happening to Jack o' haytings as well at Warrington and that might explain some of the taita te with the fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the testing ewy think. I mean, look, it's probably going to happen every week. And they gave him the match I think the league club as well. So yeah, it's an interesting approach, let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: I should have mentioned this year in the Warrington Saint Helen's review jack o' hasting's talking to the fans as he did, and what what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he's come out afterwards saying get it exactly right. There was something about you know, he was worried about his partner and his child, and you know there was a fan rejected from the Warrington fan ejected from the stands, and other people have said, you know, he was copying abuse. Look, it's a difficult one. Obviously, if he's partner and or child were in danger then you can completely understand it. But it's probably not a good look for you know, he was obviously upset and angry for a week time by the footage, and you know trying jumping into the the stands is not a good look either. I spoke to officials of the Warrington club. They weren't aware of it, so I don't know if any Warrington fan actually was ejected. But yeah, it's not a great It's not a great start, is it. Under I thought he ran the ball a lot, you know, try to throw a lot of dummies but got caught, got tackled with the ball, and hands a lot. Probably tried to do too much and overplayed his hand at times. But look, he's obviously he's played at Wigan, he's played at Salford. You know he's going to be a target for opposition fans, opposition players, but yeah, just everything, everything you know, and then you look at the John Walken comments after the game. Everything went wrong for Helens on Friday night.
Speaker 1: My favorite try of the week I think it was the first try that whole FC scored a great, whole run. I think you tweeted about it. So basically the Bulls conceded two tries very early around around their heart with people just screaming onto the ball and running great lines. I think you've tweeted about it. That was my favorite try of the weekend. Actually, I love to see a back rower or a center just coming onto the ball. Bradford have got some real issues on their edges and that will only get worse if they've got injuries, because I think they picked up a couple of injuries as well. So you try and control the middle, and then if you don't control the middle the edges, the edges get exposed. Whole f C have an issue on their right side of defense. I think that's what I picked up from that game. What did you get from that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at that was a really entertaining game. I think I was twenty Bradford, we're unlacking not to win it. I think it was the try the wanger Blake set up in the corner of the way, Bradford was rowing the baller and was great to watch. And you know, I think that were really credible. Full credit to them. Yeah, obviously they didn't get winning. It was it was funny.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Leon Price's son Will who kicked a drop ball, who was obviously the son of a Bradford legend. Yeah, and then they push on. But yeah, look, I think I think Bradford, you know, they competed. They'll be disappointed they didn't get a win, but they can regroup and go again. You are right. They've started the season before the season with injury problems and picked up a few more. So it's going to be a hard season for them. But look, they can take a lot of heart from for what the.
Speaker 1: Tough fixture, tough, tough, you know, definitely tough reintroduction all away. I mean, they'll be Gladys wasn't at the Boulevard and didn't didn't they didn't. They look like Penrith Panthers in the kit that they had.
Speaker 2: It's a good kit. I like the kid. That's a good kid. It's funny.
Speaker 1: Twenty years ago everyone everybody else would have said that Penrith looked like the Bradford Bulls. Now it's the other way around. There's been a lot changed in that time. Wakefield sixteenth to lose eighteen. I always think to lose is one of the most unfortunate names. Should be to win, should be able to change it. Both defensive edges in this game got penetrated. To lose in particular, did concede a bit from the middle of the field, actually, but they scrambled so well I did. And one thing I noticed in this game the both teams were trying to push the ball outside the defense because neither defense wanted to give an inch. I think the key thing in this though, was how many goal kicks on missed man both sides?
Speaker 2: Well, I think did sins Iuge hit the post three times or something? I mean, he had he had a fantastic game, and he was obviously an ex Catalans player and really took his opportunity to lose. But yeah, he had no luck with the boot, but he was great. Olieshow bought the fullback that to loose was fantastic. This is just a great, a great game. And I think, you know, after what Wakefield did last year, most people would have expected and I'm sure the Boockets had Wakefield is big, big favorites. But to the loose they scrambled so well, a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of grit, and they got away with the win. And that's that's exactly the sort of start that they that they needed, will give them a lot of you know, confidence going into round two and the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: I remember looking at Oli ash Or Bolt, I'm thinking, Geez looks so French, just in his mannerisms and whatnot.
Speaker 2: And I think he's from Witness. He's from Witness. It's an interesting it's an interesting just.
Speaker 1: In his mannerisms and the way he celebrated things. And and then we had Cast versus Wig and overnight I think Wigan were quite comfortable in this actually, and then fell asleep. I think Wigan probably controlled the the majority of the game in terms of pressure and field position and whatnot.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bit hard on Cast. I thought Casts were really credible. You know, they made some mistakes which they coughed up, some cheat ball, but I thought it was really fight to cast. You know that game last year. You played that game last year. The probably would have been by forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Wigan did control it on the scoreboard. I mean they went to you know, scoreboard wise Cast have scored a couple of late tries when Wigan decided.
Speaker 2: To wid that. Wigan had Kieran sim bind for a shot to the head. And look, I think the Wigan tries, a couple of them particularly, were just there was some bit of Bev and French brilliance there. I think that that ability that dry Field has to to kind of drift across the field open things up the same with French and Exusley was very good on the edges. But they probably highlight from for Wigan. It was a Wigan of old, probably Wiggan twenty twenty four performance. And Mago Patrick Mago he was he was knocking blokes out away, carrying the ball really strong, so it was good.
Speaker 1: It was a really good I was going to say when he said he was knocking blokes out of the way, was this on his way to the ground or.
Speaker 2: Well wouldn't. He's bloody huge so I wouldn't get his way. But I thought we were really good. But I think Cass, you know, I think there's a lot they can build on the cut down there as well. I think Cass are in for a better year in twenty twenty six than they had in twenty twenty five. Absolute so much because I think they only won seven games last year, but I think they'll be much improved this year.
Speaker 1: They've got to fix their left edge in defense. They've got an issue there. The field was heavy and both sides conceded tries late on with somebody waltzing through the middle. Wigan, to be fair cast, did have bodies in motion for one of their late tries, but it was it was a heavy field. Wiggans left edge will be a little bit of concern for coach Matty Pete. A bit of a news roundup. We've already mentioned Halifax, but there's a bit of noise that Adrian Lamb, the league coach, is being looked at or potentially linked with the Papua New Guinea role.
Speaker 2: The ping G Chiefs. That is not the chief the new NRL club for Yeah, I had someone mentioned that to me about two weeks ago. I did put it to Adrian Lamb at the Super League launch, you know, and he well it's not that he denied it, but he basically said, you know, he's not he's not spoken to them, and blah blah blah blah blah. But look, I mean, if you think of Papa, you grew Guinea and rugby league. If I can get it out over thirty years, I mean, who do you think of? I would say probably there's three people standing again a Adrian Lamb, Marcus By. Yeah that that that for me would be the top three. And of those three, the man who's a very very good coach and is you know, maybe the most legendary of those status but is Adrian Lamb. And his son's also Locker Lamb, the star halfback. So I think he would be perfect for that NRL role. Whether he takes it or not, I don't know. He's done a great job at Lee. He was an assistant the NRL for god knows how long and Wayne Benner and other coaches. He was a sensational health back for the Roosters. I didn't really see him play at Wigan, but I'm sure it was good. Yeah. So yeah, I think he'd be you know, born and raised in Port Moresby before he moved to Queensland. I think at eight or nine years old, I think he'd be great for the P and G Chiefs, But we'll see on that one. I think if there is any movement, he won't be till the end of this year because obviously he would need I would say, much like melmon Inger, you know, twenty twenty seven to recruit for P and G to come in in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm wondering if that place needs him all the year. You did mention briefly the Super League launch told us about that. You did get some audio, but it was hard for me to put it into the podcast because microphone.
Speaker 2: It was a good launch, was that there was somewhe ironic. It was at the National Football Museum in Manchester, which is soccer for those people who don't know, and for me, I mean it's a lovely venue. It is funny though you wouldn't probably get rugby union launching an event at a National rugby League or you know, cricket museum. Yeah, but look it was. It was well done. It was a great celebration of the thirty years of Super League. A lot of ex legendary players there, some old shirts, some great mockups of past great players, and yeah, I mean I've been to probably twelve thirty launches. It was definitely one of the better ones. We even't got a few free beers, which is always so nice for the poor journals like myself. But yeah, it was good. It was It was a good launch, and there was lots of people you know, up for interview and yeah, I mean I think it flowed well into what we've just seen in round one.
Speaker 1: Not to listeners. If journalists say that the launch was good they got free beer. Johnny's job this week. I think you've already mentioned this. I've got it down as fan trolling of John Davidson. So you've been You've had a tough week this week.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just part of the course. As I said, I think journalistic turd was it was my highlight. I think I think I had journalistic ben But yeah, journalistic what bend part that was? That was an interesting one that was that was a year or two before. But yeah, no, look I don't I mean, it's it's I'm not sure who's what the reason is for this, but I don't choose the images in an article that goes in the eye now, I mean that's a sub edit's job. I don't generally write the headlines either. And also while I do pitch stories and pitch ideas for this one, this wasn't my idea. It was. But the point is, the Bradford story is a valid story. I know a lot of people don't want to acknowledge it or want to ignore it, or think that everything's spreaded on. So but you know the legitimate questions. So that is the role of the media. And if you actually read the article, which seems like a lot of people did, they are imbalanced. Yeah, but look, people are tired to their opinion. I found a lot of the abuse I found quite funny.
Speaker 1: Actually yet journalistic turd Like with feces, with excrement, you actually get the truth come out in the bowl. So if you've had sweet corn, you'll see it in the bowl. So if you've had red wine, guinness, you'll see it in the bowl. You know, so on and so forth. So I think it's a compliment.
Speaker 2: Lee's laugh.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about fields in Yorkshire, Castleford to pitch with like a paddock today. What's been going on there during the off season?
Speaker 2: Look, it has been raining every daily, like to be fair, doesn't mean anybody has to run at it on me, I don't. I don't think they train on the jungle pitch. They've got an astroid being built extraor if it's finished. But yeah, yeah it was. It was the look the weather has been shocking. Yeah yeah, I mean it's it's it's people forget maybe in Australia that Super League moved to summer in ninety six from winter Rugby. We're in February and February is the following month of winter and so we're still quite far from summer.
Speaker 1: I prefer to golf February at the start of the end of winter, which ends about ends about middle of June.
Speaker 2: And summer and England usually runs for four weeks, three weeks if you if you're like a week in August. Lee's laugh as well. This week.
Speaker 1: I only realized this this week that the Oddsel pitch at risk of incurring the wrath of the city of Bradford. It's only eighty eight meters long than fifty five meters wide.
Speaker 2: It's the smallest pitch in Super League, but it is minimum standards.
Speaker 1: So I think I think jewsburries might be smaller and in superleg I know, yeah, yeah, I think Jewsbury And I'm just saying in general that Jewsburry b is smaller eighty eight meters. So in Australia, every pitch is exactly the same sact one hundred meters long and sixty eight meters wide. So putting this into context, it's twelve meters shorter than that. And you've got to feel for the poor referees marking the ten because divide eighty eight by ten and you have eight point eight.
Speaker 2: I said this to Kurt Hanging at the launch for I was doing an interview with him. It could be quite an advantage for Bradford because being their home pitch, you know, and I'll try and I'll know, you know the intricacies and had to exploit it to their advantage. So it might be, you know, quite a good advantage for them.
Speaker 1: Well you told me that you like the football that Bradford played against all the expansive football.
Speaker 2: Well, I like the way they moved the ball. It's not the kick, it's you. You can't really do that as much on a fifty five meter wide field. That's hard. That's thirteen meters less. That's a lot lots of inside, lots of inside runners, and I saw and great skills quickenes. You know.
Speaker 1: I remember coaching at Jewsbury once and I didn't know that the field was so small, and I literally changed the game plan based on the field. I just said to the players, plow down the middle and.
Speaker 2: What about the hill?
Speaker 1: Surely that yeah, of course, yeah, But eighty eight meters length is one thing, but fifty five meters wide is quite significant. And you understand now why Bradford built such a big side in their glory years because they would have had to literally power through teams. And Kurk Haggerty will have to be careful with his expansive football because he will literally end up on the speedway track if they're not careful.
Speaker 2: There's no speedway this year. They've stopped that, so that's that's a plus, but there's still a track. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next week this week big game Thursday, John Friday morning in Australia, and we're going to do a quick recap pod straight after it aren't we I.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to go to beautiful study Hull and the M sixty two even that sentence at all, it will be a great game. I'm a big fan of the World Cup Challenge. You know, the opportunity to see the Erald champions in the flash obviously saw a few of their players in the actually is not long ago, but you know Rhys Walsh and well we didn't see pain Hars the South Sydney bound paid hass. I mean that's another element to it. But yeah, it should be a great game. And look a sellout at the m k M. Seeing whole KR play as the home team in the m k M will be will be weird. How much do you think that will take away from wal KR. Yeah, we myself and Richard share right, asked Eliot Minchella that at the launch actually, and it was a living pondering. He must have been. It's going to be a strange thing. But look, I think the vast majority of fans will be there cheering them on, so it'll make them feel like, you know, a home stadium, and yeah, look it'll be a great occasion. It's really you know, as you said, ok, we're not great in around one. If they're missing mikeay Lewis, you would think it's mission impossible. If they've got mikey Lewis and obviously, if Dean Hadley makes also come back from injury and Tom Lamone missed the first game, I think he's likely to be back for the World Cup challenge. I think it's more of course straight thing, but.
Speaker 1: It'll go one way or the other with okay are they'll either get nervous and well believe they've not trained hard enough in the off season, or they will get the bit between their teeth, come back stronger and really go hard.
Speaker 2: I think them I saw them training in the obviously they've been training hard. I think so you saw them in one training session and now that defines their whole preseason. What great, what great observation from you job, Thank you. But I think I think you've got to remember the Broncos haven't played a game this year, so they're going to be They're going to be rusty, it's going to be probably cold and wet, and they've also had the whole paint hass. I mean, you can't underplay how big this painhass thing is now, you know, you know, if if reports are true that he went to the to the Rabbit Oze and said, yeah, just if match what the Broncos are off for me and I'll come and sign like that's a fair slap in the face for the Broncos, for Madge, for for what they've achieved. So the impact that has on the team dynamic. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. We won't know until we see them play, but yeah, it'll be great. It'll be great occasion.
Speaker 1: If whole KR want to make all left his ground feel like home, all they need to do is play a rage of songs. The Bradford Bulls play Catalans on Friday. Yes, which country are they playing? Are they playing in the Republic of.
Speaker 2: Or they playing? Yes, they are that they're playing in West Yorkshire. That'll be the first home game and on Sable. I think they've playing a big, big event for that. A bit tough game for brad because cat Lands I think we're you know, they were impressive on in Romance. That should be an interesting one.
Speaker 1: I the Bulls have got to target this as a win after losing last week for sure, But any promote, any promoted team needs to needs to start well. So they did start well, they just didn't win on the scoreboard, so they need to try and make sure they turn this one into a victory. But Catalan looked okay against Huddersfield too. Leeds will fancy their chances at home against York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think York will be on a higher But as I spoke to Mark Applegarth after the win, you know, obviously he's got to be careful that he can't let his players go to to their heads because they've got twenty six rounds on a common lead. Headingly, you know they need to win this game. Look that you know they want to win something this year. They can't be none from two after round two, so I'm not sure they probably back, but they'll they'll be looking at you to put in a very good performance to get the two points there. A bit disappointing. I think this is one of the good things around one which helped make it bigger as well as we didn't have many games clashing. But we've got three games on the Friday night which all kicking off at eight pm, which is a real pain in the ass and not great at scheduling. It's obviously good for crowds though. It's good for crowds, but you've got to think lee that and this is I think one of the reasons why the NRL doesn't do it is it harns It hurts your TV ratings. So if you're a fair I don't know, if you're a fan in London and you might be in regular league, die hard and watch every game on Sky. You can't watch three games that all kick off at the same time.
Speaker 1: Problem is if they spread all the games out, then some of the fans won't be able to go. I mean, imagine how many fans, particularly in Yorkshire are season ticket holders, and even at Wigan and Saint Helens season ticket holders for Premier League or Championship football side and they to play on Saturdays or Sundays. And you know many many fans in England enjoy both football and rugby league.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: And and I think playing on Friday night is really good for crowds because it attended not to be any anything else on Friday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's also good for corporate hospitality. But if you know with football now, which I'm sure you do know early it's on in England and every night it's on Monday, it's on Sunday night, Friday night, you know it's the rarest night is probably Friday, isn't it. There's Friday night games on Sky Football now pretty much every week. Yeah, but it'll be lower lower t mostly. Yeah, but I think it's more likely with rugby league fans. You know, say you're a Warrington fan, you'll watch the World Club Challenge on TV, you know. And if if you're a home and your team's not playing on Friday Night, you'd probably watch Leeds or Saint Helen's. But you know, you have to pick one of those games, and it does hurt the overall ratings. One of the reasons Friday Night was so good in Just Gone was because cat Lands were on at six o'clock on a Friday, which I don't think they've ever been for, which led into perfectly to Warrent and Saint Helens. So me, for example, was a good four Rugby Football League. Make it easier for John and everyone else and everyone else.
Speaker 1: Saints play Lee. Yeah, they don't go to they don't go to France like I thought earlier. Saints play Lee at home. Lee have had a good win. Saints are under the coush a little bit massive week for Saint Helen's rugby league club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I mean many Lee's already injured, Jack Wells be injured for months. Yeah, the kind of issue there with Jackson Hastings after warranting game, and obviously a lot of speculation about Mike Ross the CEO and what's happening behind the scenes. So yeah, a bit of a perfect storm for Saint Alden's. I think they will be licking their lips at this one and really fancying their chances.
Speaker 1: Saturday's fixtures to lose host Castleford. Castleford will still have this game down or something that they can get two points from, but having played on Sunday the last fixture, them having to travel to France is going to be a tough ask for them, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to lose his first home game, I'll be They'll be fired up. This should be a really good game, I think. I think will be going there, you know, desperate for the win. They won't be going there to lose. They won't be going there to lose, but won't be going to lose to lose. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 1: I think the fixture of the round, apart from the World Club challenges, the Wigan versus Left c game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should be a good one. I mean obviously not we're going down the Challenge Cup. I think it was in the quarter final stage last year, which was a big shock. We're get at home. I think I'll have I think I'll have too much of the tank for Okay. Is that based on what you've seen this weekend? Yeah? Base basedally just the intent I think from Wigan. Yeah, it looked like Field and French were back to their best. Uh and they just Yeah, they seem to be a real determined purpose from Wigan today against cass And Look, I think are a good team and they've got, you know, a lot of attacking weapons, but I think the fact that the Bradford pushed them so hard shows that there's definitely vulnerabilities there that Wigan can can also exploit.
Speaker 1: One of one of the big factors and we will talk about this more and more as the year goes on, is that whole f C have had two more days rest than we can have after after the fixture. And I think this is important in the first couple of rounds because your body obviously gets a workout it's probably not really had after round one, and it also kicks in when when the injuries start to kick in as well. So yeah, I think I think this is going to be a tight one. I really do think this is a match of the round. And then to round off the fixture and once again only one fixture on the Sunday and that's Huddersfield versus Wakefield.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Huge game for both clubs. This yeah local derby. Both teams obviously losing around one will be really wanting to to get some points on the board. Interesting to see what sort of crowd Haddersfield get because you know they've well they've had a terrible couple of years to be to be fair, while Wakefield had a great year last year, so I would probably put after watching the performances both say I'd say Wakefield ahead of this. You know it's like favorites, but you know too have recruited well in the off season, so let's see what they can do on their own patch. The Giants are unleash John, what a bumper episode. That was just a great round. Like it's nice to talk about so many great, exciting, thrilling competitive things along may continue and obviously a great only sort of the highlights for the All Star around the Star game looked I didn't see the women's but the men's looked great, The highlights was fantastic and yeah, rugby league is back baby.
Speaker 1: If you are a coach and you're interested in coaching, listen to the Rugby League Coach podcast or go to Rugby League Coach dot com to tay you, or follow me at Rugby League Coach or email me I'd been at Rugby League coach dot com to tay you. If you like journalists who winge about things, and contact Johnny Davidson where will they get you, John.
Speaker 2: Lee Addison and get me on journalistic BINDI Johnny d Davidson on x and Facebook at John Davidson Journalists. Yeah, all lovely comments and bends are welcome.
Speaker 1: And for anybody in Bradford John's addresses number four, take care of me.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find the button to end this