Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to the ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera. He's Jay Gonzalez, and we might be two minutes ahead of schedule. I think you know why we did. We probably should have stayed on two minutes later.
Speaker 2: I yes, I mean we were told to get off the fifty four. Yeah, all right, well we'll figure that out. Uh okay next time. Well up, yeah, you got it the breaking you're up on Fox Sports barely?
Speaker 3: Did you maybe have the volume up high enough down there? All right?
Speaker 4: Anyway, let's start with some news about Cam Rising injury update.
Speaker 1: See doesn't like it look like he'll play this weekend for sure. No, I thought he might be out a few more weeks. So just not reading the article, so I'm really not sure.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 4: Didn't he have surgery? No? No, is that something else? Yeah? That's fine.
Speaker 1: So he's he's he he won't play this weekend. I don't think I thought he might be out more weeks. If he doesn't play against Arizona in two weeks, who knows, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I mean I feel bad for the guy, but he's he's injury prone, right, whatever, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's the.
Speaker 2: Old bones or whatever because he's well like thirty five years old.
Speaker 3: So I don't know. You know, the guy hasn't been able to stay.
Speaker 2: The guy has not been able to stay uh health, he hasn't been able to stay on the field. I don't know what what the situation is the story.
Speaker 1: No, but apparently Brett McMurphy, who's pretty good at what he does. Uh, he likely may not play this weekend, but he could be back for Oklahoma State next weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that's a huge game for them. Yeah, on the top two teams, right, those are the top two teams. I mean, he's got to be back for that game. But if he's. If he's not, then who knows when you know when they're going to see him. But that's a that's a huge game for Utah as well. You know, for Oklahoma State to say where that game.
Speaker 1: Is, yeah, probably at home, doesn't say versus.
Speaker 2: But you know, you you gotta I don't know, you they got to get him back because we saw last year you don't have him, that's what you got.
Speaker 3: So all right.
Speaker 4: I meant to bring this up on Tuesday, but the road Runners announce their preseason schedule and tickets are available now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had them on yesterday, so we went through that, and yeah, tickets are available on their website or you can go to their website, you know, to the TCC and get those.
Speaker 4: College football tonight got Arizona State, Texas State, Texas State two point five on the spread.
Speaker 2: Two and a half, now two and a half, and then oh man, it's three on DraftKings, it's three, and everybody's taking Texas State.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: I think this is the first time that Texas State has had a Power five or Power four slash five school at their place. I don't know what the agreement was at ACU agreed to go play over there, because normally Texas State gets a by game, you know, and they just go play the one game.
Speaker 3: We paid a bunch of money whatever. You know.
Speaker 2: This is obviously some sort of a home and home arrangement, but there there's apparently some excitement about this game and that it's a big deal and there's a belief that Texas State can and should win this game. I guess I would be unhappy if I'm Arizona and we're going to Texas State and they're and they're an underdog, So I don't know, all right, that game is at four thirty our time USPN.
Speaker 4: And then the other game is Northwestern State in South Alabama.
Speaker 2: Thirty six and a half South Alabama bay thirty six and a half. Would you would you give South of thirty six and a half and take South Alabama against Northwestern State Northwestern?
Speaker 4: That's what I call long money.
Speaker 1: But Steve have a gambling problem. I lost a table tennis and then now I'm chasing it with Grammling's Taylor who was South Alabama the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, you need therapy.
Speaker 2: You need therapy, you need a consert, and you need to go to a facility.
Speaker 1: And just what Jay cannot be your your what are your host?
Speaker 4: Or what do you call that guy?
Speaker 3: Your spier?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yeah, that South Alabama.
Speaker 4: He has his own sponsor. We have a phone number for you. Alright, Okay, all right, I mean humor. I'm mean humor JA on this one. So Stani is getting closer to that mark. He hit his forty seventh homer last night. He also stole his forty eighth base. I think saw the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So so I was I was with a bunch of dudes like your group that you get up with Wednesday, bunch of dudes, and they're baseball fans, you know, the Yankees and Cardinals and blah blah blah, and they were talking about show hey and this says, well, he's gonna be the m v P. And then I brought your thing up that should he even though he doesn't have a possis they were mixed.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing to me.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm kind of thinking if he gets to fifty to fifty, which it looks like he's going to, and he's the first person ever to do that, and it may never get done again unless he does it again, I think you do give it to him. I really do. And I know he's only playing. You know, he's not playing in the field, he's not pitching. You know, he's only hitting, But he's doing so many things hitting wise. He's leading off Steve, he's a leadoff hitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that doesn't give you a chance to do a lot more damage, right.
Speaker 2: But he's a leadoff hitter, so you know, he sets the stage. So there's yes, he's a DH, but in his DH role, there's a lot of things he's doing that I'm kind of turning my opinion on that and feel like maybe he should be in strong consideration for the MVP again, assuming the fifty to fifty deal happens, because that's crazy. Fifty stolen bases and fifty homers. Fifty homers is crazy by itself, and then you're stealing bases too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's Steve, He's he's a big dude.
Speaker 3: He's a big dude.
Speaker 2: But he's fast, he's got long strides and he gets there in her He tagged up. He tagged up and went from second to third on a flyout to left field last night.
Speaker 4: Really did he get there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was sitting by a lot, you know.
Speaker 2: So they don't make him like they don't make him like that. Man, he's to be from Texas. I don't think it's from Texas. Paris, Texas, from Apple in Texas. He's not from Texas.
Speaker 4: Here's another note about this, but a tiny He has twelve games this season with the home run and they stolen base. The only player to do that more than him is Ricky Henderson back in eighty six with thirteen, and then he's tied with Lacuna Junior with twelve last year and then Bobby Bonds twelve and seventy three. Yeah, he'll do it this weekend against the Braves.
Speaker 2: Yeah he will, he will your bridge, right, your bridge, that's right, you're braves.
Speaker 1: Yeah you said that was roll in your eyes?
Speaker 3: Okay? How ready for the season? Are they not gonna make the playoffs? They don't have the offense?
Speaker 7: But where are they standing right now? They're one game back of the Mets for a wild card or the last card. Oh okay, we're like nine games back of the Phillies. Oh all right, that's right, those Phillies.
Speaker 4: Once we went out and they lose out, then we.
Speaker 3: Can hate the Phillies.
Speaker 1: So what do you well, we don't get to because we don't have enough time.
Speaker 4: So what do you like? We'll go there.
Speaker 3: Still, there's some things. There's a few things.
Speaker 2: I like that the Dodgers broke and coming to the over in three innings last night. Besides that, Okay, hey you what you went to bet for me? I love you for a really long time until you don't until.
Speaker 3: You lose one.
Speaker 4: That's right, all right? NFL, we got Bills and Dolphins tonight. We two is kicking off. Yeah, that's a tough game.
Speaker 3: That's a good game. I like.
Speaker 2: I like that game. It's a it's a Dolphins by two and a half. They are at home over under forty eight and a half. The Dolphins are minus one thirty five on the money line. Again, if I was if I was gonna sit down and watch this game, I'd bet it. But I don't think I'm going to. I think I'm go'n be flipping channels tonight and no that kind of thing. Okay, but that's a good game. Josh Allen was your boy a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Well, I think he's better than Murray.
Speaker 2: Last week, Ryan is better than Murray, was taller than Murray for sure.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I still think he is the Buffalo team because they have very little.
Speaker 3: Stuff last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't he's the runner, he's the guy. He's but he's not enough for them to get to the super Bowl. I mean, he's just not enough. They don't have enough. They don't just don't have enough.
Speaker 3: Okay, on the flip side too, I mean, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Is he is he the guy he has I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, he's too inconsistent and they have a couple of players that can get him offensively scoring, but not enough. You need you need, sorry to say, well, you need a guy who just plays perty and then he has some great compliment people around him, kind of like last year when when Noah had dudes. Yeah, he had a Coleman, he had Papita, he had the kids coling. Yeah, he had people and wait, we'll see how we'll see how the others have to step up. We don't know about that too, right, how the running backs is going to step up? How the second or third third people options? Last year they had options offensively. So so you think Tyry Kill takes an uber to the game? Tonight is in Miami, right it is? It's in Miami. No, if I'm here going to New that'd be funny though, that'd be taken. That'd be funny. Yeah, I would, that'd be funny. I would or go a different way, yeah, different way to take a different way. Or get a driver, yeah, just get a driver, smart different car. Right, yeah, all right, all right. Jagguars are rebringing their stadium for the home opener. It's ever Bank, that's the current stadium, but they're rebranding. Were you bringing it?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Trevor Bank.
Speaker 5: I got it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: Trevor Lawrence making a ton of bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, he makes enough money, will be his own bank, that's for sure. But so I mean literally the callent that what it says, Trevor Bank.
Speaker 4: Trevor Bank, just putting the tr in front of the.
Speaker 1: No, let's see if it pays dividends.
Speaker 3: But he lost last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're not any good here. They lost too. I think that was the obvious loss too. I can't remember who they played.
Speaker 4: I remember they lost to nobody because it won't load. Okay, just keep going. Here's another story about de Shaun Watson. The woman is to meet with the NFL to discuss the allegations.
Speaker 3: We do the article here.
Speaker 1: If we're going back to the meet too stuff, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, if he gets suspended though, it's they'll get.
Speaker 3: Rid of they'll have they have to.
Speaker 4: You have to.
Speaker 3: You have to be fired for that sure.
Speaker 1: And he made that come back because would you want you don't want to.
Speaker 2: I didn't want him to begin with that because good, But secondly, I'm just not going to have that guy.
Speaker 3: There's there's enough.
Speaker 2: Guys out there that you don't need the guy who's got that back somebody?
Speaker 4: Somebody?
Speaker 1: Uh did you see that the Dunes? Who's the guy from Washington? He got hurt last week? Right, I don't know if he's out or not, but for the Bears, Yeah, that's what I read this because the am I m cl I think m CLU. So they brought in a backup for Williams already, Uh, just because they wanted to. And I didn't know any of these guys that they're bringing in to be a backup for for Williams. And they mentioned that he had gotten hurt, the Washington kid. So wow, it can't be fun you have anything. Also, you're waiting for something. I was actually looking at the doomsday Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that quick.
Speaker 1: So I'm watching on ESPN right now and Wilbond there's a little headlin short little clip. I didn't go through the clip, but the headline I love it. Willb Wilbon is a huge fan of the Pac twelve resurrection, and I'm thinking, is it really a resurrection exact? It's a redo.
Speaker 3: It's a redo. Yeah, that's a good that's a good way to put.
Speaker 1: It, because it's not the it's not going to be the same.
Speaker 3: Here here's what happens, Steve.
Speaker 2: A tornado came and blew your roof off right right, and so you're just putting the roof back on right right, and and and it tore up your shed, and it tore up one of your bedrooms and you can't rebuild that. But you're putting the roof back on to just kind of live your life. And that's that's really what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Right, It's not it's not a resurrection.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: It a resurrection would imply that it's going to be what it was, and enough teams left to pick from for it to become what it was.
Speaker 4: It's surely not going to be the same quality.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean it's going to be a glorified Mountain West Conference. It's gonna be a Mountain West Conference with Washington State and Oregon State added. And at the time going into that, they were too again, two programs who weren't well thought of enough to be able to be taken.
Speaker 3: Into one of those leaders.
Speaker 2: You stay here, you stay here, we'll come and get you later.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's like to do the home alone. You know, they left the kid and ah, we forgot leaving there.
Speaker 4: So he didn't him. Him and Keenan Allen are both still out. They didn't practice today, so they won't be playing Sunday. Yeah, I was a sprained MCL sprained. Okay, ye, all right, it's all I have.
Speaker 3: That's all you had.
Speaker 1: Okay, what time is it? We've got a few minutes, Jake is are you asking who? In the call? He'll be hearing about five six minutes? All right, okay, you want to just go, Let's give a couple of minutes. It's yeah, it's only twelve after the hour.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Getting back to all that though, Steve, as you said earlier, this is all going to settle differently.
Speaker 3: The PAC twelve everything just down the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you bentually just down the road in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: You know what. What you know, what the PAC twelve wants to do is to continue to be relevant in some form. Right, It's not gonna be relevant if it stays with these two teams. So they're trying to be relevant so that whenever the next reset comes they can somehow possibly be a part of it. Now, that's going to be hard, because I feel like it's going to be more of a situation where some of the teams that in the power that are in the power for now, they're they're going to get clipped off at the bottom of at the bottom of the list. That's why it's so important for a program like Arizona to be good for the next few years.
Speaker 1: Right, So you said, uh, Texas San Antonio, right, Memphis, the other school.
Speaker 3: Texas Anti maybe Memphis.
Speaker 2: I said to Tulane, they shouldn't even call it the Back twelve.
Speaker 1: It's not the Back twelve.
Speaker 3: It's well, it's not the ACC anymore. It's not the Big ten anymore. It's not Big twelve anymore.
Speaker 1: I want to call you, I'll call you Fred, and that's just not call you later.
Speaker 3: That's a.
Speaker 2: Branding expert or marketing expert will tell them keep the PAC twelve name.
Speaker 3: Don't do that all over again.
Speaker 2: You've got a logo that everybody knows on site. You've got to you can continue to claim the history of the PAC twelve, the records, all those things, because see that's one things that if the PAC twelve dissolved and now those two teams go into another league, everything ends.
Speaker 3: No more records, no more.
Speaker 2: Now PAC twelve can say, yeah, you know, they just broke Bill Walton's record, you know for xxxx.
Speaker 3: So that's a part of it.
Speaker 2: That's you know, with my vast public relations experience, that's what I would be advising them to do, is yeah.
Speaker 1: No, and that's what they're going to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right, okay, okay, let's go and take our break.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rock and materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tip we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 10: Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Healths.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment that you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways, keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three h eight seven arizon A b k Ninez two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrixson Credit greats and available loone programs or suthing to change them.
Speaker 4: Notice did you know.
Speaker 14: Sports cards that memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two Tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served for our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 15: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today and really insured.
Speaker 16: NCUA gut bugs, termitespees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our Selling at Home Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 17: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez sound Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeart Radio AIP Just Surgery.
Speaker 18: I on the Ball, Hey what's the best find the ball hero Fox?
Speaker 4: What's fourteen fifty? I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 1: These figures off now on the phone. We have kicks for shirt form, our you by guy and our one of our seless Jake wis one on.
Speaker 5: Can you guys hear me?
Speaker 18: Just want to make sure that you get in the common boat?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Mark hear you? Check one two? One two?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: Are you are you sick over this football program? Oh?
Speaker 12: It did?
Speaker 6: Steve?
Speaker 3: Why do you have to ask it like that?
Speaker 4: Because he knows.
Speaker 6: I'm hey, Hey, the good thing is we're keeping it Manela.
Speaker 4: So we're not.
Speaker 5: Showing them all the plays that we're going to burn them before old tomorrow.
Speaker 4: So okay, do you that I was gonna say, do you believe that?
Speaker 3: Or you just saying it doesn't happen? Yeah, it doesn't happen.
Speaker 5: I believe it.
Speaker 6: I believe it because just watching their formations, they're not doing a lot of movement.
Speaker 5: Like they said they were going to. They're not going to.
Speaker 6: Their tight ends as much. You know, they're basically just keeping everything pretty basic. And you know what, sometimes that works in your favor.
Speaker 18: Sometimes it's kind of.
Speaker 6: A detrimency because do you want to put as much on films so that they have to actually, you know, prepare for it. Now everyone wants to be a big team like them and just you know, basically run down your throat. But you know, I'm not entirely sure if our offensive line is going to be one hundred percent healthy.
Speaker 18: So you know who knows. I only know is if we don't show up, we're going.
Speaker 5: To lose by a couple of touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and the thing, you know, you're sitting here when you you know, when you say that, I sit here and think, okay, So if they didn't show stuff, they cut it a little close last week, then you know right, I mean it was dicey. I mean there are two times that NAU had the ball with the chance to take the lead. Now, the defense played really well, you know, really through the whole game. You know, they gave up that one touchdown, but the defense they played pretty well and they didn't let it happen. But I got a little nervous when it was thirteen to ten. The two times any of you got the ball where you thought, if they put a long drive here together, this could get dicey.
Speaker 18: Well, the way I see it, we haven't.
Speaker 6: Put one whole game, you know, worth of football together, at least good ball. You know, the first game, offense showed out, we did well. Last game, our defense stepped up. But what you got to remember is the brand new coaching staff and you know it's a just a brand new scheme. I mean, this is why a lot of the big programs they try not to have a big game in the beginning of the year because you know, you just don't know what you got on the field to work with. So we have the players. If we can just put you know, a full game together and not play good on one side of the ball and crappy on the other, I think we'll be fine moving forward.
Speaker 1: Since talking to you for the last few years, now, have you been because you're an excitable guy? Right, you can't watch the games with other people because you freak them out. Did you freak out all over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: Well, I got pissed off the first game and then this last game because you know, I started to feel like crud. I actually tried to get to sleep a little earlier and I didn't make it down there. So watching the highlights all that other stuff, obviously you get annoyed, but at the end of the day, if you know that you want you go back and watch it on YouTube, you don't get too upset. But I mean I had to hold it together in person a couple of weeks ago. That defense, you know, just bad angles all around and you don't get to do much tackling to try to save your guys during camp. So now we got a couple of games under our belt, I feel a lot better about it.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's what I said at the end.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, we're Arizona's two and oh and they whether you like it or not, or whether you like what it looked like the cosmetics of it, they're two and oh. And so here we go. Let's play this Kansas State game and see what happens. I mean, what are you most interested to see in a game against a team like Kansas State? What do you want to see from Arizona in this game?
Speaker 6: Well, I want to make sure we stop the run. If we sell it on the run and we make that kid throw the ball and prove himself as an actual quarterback and not a big athlete that plays quarterback, then I think.
Speaker 4: We'll be fine.
Speaker 18: If we force them to throw the ball.
Speaker 6: We got so many upper classmen back during that secondary, somebody's bound to make a play. So I'm just hoping that they don't allow these guys to rack up the yards on the ground, control the clock. Hope we get a few three and outs and give our offense some good starting field position, make a couple of plays on the ball. But harder said than done. They got to help a program, they got great coach, and so we'll see.
Speaker 1: So what do you make of the t back situation, the tailback situation, no situation.
Speaker 3: Why he didn't get the ball last week?
Speaker 18: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 6: You know what again, Mike, just want to, you know, get the other guys involved, because you know, in a big game, you could just throw it up to Team Mac. He'll come down more than half the balls. Maybe just try to get some of the younger guys a little bit more experience before they go, you know and play a big game against the you know, a conference of own it. So, I don't know what it was about that. It just looked like they were trying to get a few more people involved. But yeah, moving forward, I don't care who the hell you play. You got to get that man seven or eight at least targets the game.
Speaker 3: Oh maybe even more than that is What have you liked about what you've seen?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I know we keep talking about what we did like.
Speaker 2: We didn't like the defense in the first game, we didn't like the offense in the second game.
Speaker 3: What have you liked about this team so far?
Speaker 6: I haven't really seen any panic on the sideline. I like that a lot. You know, they're working through it, they got a plan, and uh, you know us watching it on television or when we're seeing it happening live. You got to remember these boys on the other you know teams, they got scholarships too, so they're gonna be good. They're gonna make some plays.
Speaker 18: But I haven't seen any panic.
Speaker 6: I think that's what we showed the second half defensively against the Mexico and what we showed against any of you this past weekend.
Speaker 18: You know, the defense.
Speaker 6: You know you're gonna be playing against better, better competition.
Speaker 5: But I think they.
Speaker 6: Looked pretty stout and just hoping that we can get a few more stacks, get a couple more turnovers to help us, because you know, Kansas State, it's a level up in competition, and we're not going to be able to do what we did against New Mexico against them, So you.
Speaker 18: Know, we'll see. But I really just want to make sure we get certain.
Speaker 5: Guys the ball a little bit more, and.
Speaker 18: I want to make sure our defense continues to improve.
Speaker 2: Jake, you played for two very hands on, even animated coaches, Mike Stoops, Rich Rod who they were, you know, into the headset, they were talking, they were in the middle of all the stuff. Brent Brannan doesn't look like he's and not even just the excitable part, just the participation part. Brent Brandon looks like he's just I mean, he looks like more like Dick Tomy in that regard. He's spectating, he's letting his coaches coach and things like that.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts to see, well, he's.
Speaker 5: Playing more of the CEO type role.
Speaker 6: You know, rich Rod was right there during the offense and Deukes was right there with the defense. You know, those two obviously a little bit more animated. And you know, it just depends on the type of player. The type of player knows that you know, you'll get on him if he doesn't play, you know, up to his standards. But you're the first person to come over congratulate him.
Speaker 5: You know, it goes a long way.
Speaker 6: So you know, we'll see different kids, you know, react to different types of coaching. So I don't think we've seen enough yet. But you know, I kind of like him being more in the CEO role because obviously he trusts the guys on offense and defense to you know, make play calls and get their guys in the right position.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: I wanted to go to that question too, because either the coaches rub off on you. I think they do, right, don't don't you think?
Speaker 3: I think? I don't know what you think, Jake.
Speaker 18: It's like I said, it depends.
Speaker 6: I mean there were days where we're getting in shouting matches with each other, but then there are days where you just take the coaching, you know that you screwed up and you go and you know, you go and perform.
Speaker 18: So it's different for me.
Speaker 6: I've always said coaches that, you know, going back to win my dad was our coach, or going back to you know, coach Gary Minor at Ironwood. You know, these guys and the last two coaches that I had during college, they're not afraid to get in their grill if you're not performing well, but then they're the first people to come and give you a paddle on the back say good job, and you always want to play.
Speaker 5: For a coach like that.
Speaker 1: How big of a game is this? Uh uh part? We talked about this with the with the case case State beat guy. Uh. We put with Jay and I two about maybe this being the one or two best games and competitive games of the season that said, do they have to win or do they just have to kind of show up and play tough.
Speaker 6: Well, obviously, as a fan and a former player, I'm always gonna say you want to win, but uh, you know, to be honest, this is not going to count as a conference game.
Speaker 5: So it's not going to be the end of the world.
Speaker 6: We don't know what Cam looks like going in the next week or the next game, so I think we need to at least get one of these two.
Speaker 5: Obviously both on the road.
Speaker 18: So it's gonna be tough, but it's just a measuring stick of where we're going.
Speaker 5: To be at. You know.
Speaker 6: It could be that thing that really makes us go back to the drawing board and fix stuff. But also it can get us on a role like we got last year when we you know, when we beat Oregon State and UCLA, so it could set us up with a long haul we'll see. I just really want them to be competitive games, and.
Speaker 2: That's sort of a minimum, right to you know. I mean, and I hate to look at it this way, but this is the way I lead. If you beat the point spread, then you did better than what you were expected to do. That's how I see. And it's a seven point line. They even if they lose this game, but there was then a touchdown, well then that's what was supposed to happen, is the way I see it.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, but again, you want to at least get one of these two. Sure, you're going to prepare for every game individually wanting to go in and get a W.
Speaker 5: You're going to offense a game plan to get a W.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, these are two top twenty teams. They both have really good offenses. They both are very very well coached, and it's a measuring stick. We're going to see how you know, coach Akina and all these other guys, you know, because these two are very similar. They can run down your throat. But they got a quarterback that can beat you with his feet a little bit, and a guy that can make some plays. I'm just hoping that we have enough guys on our side of the ball to make plays back right.
Speaker 2: You know, somebody made the comment the other day, but you know why doesn't know if a feea run more? And I said, I don't think they want him to run more. He played for a couple Matt Scott was a runner, right, you put you played on that team with Matt Scott. But I know that as a fan. When I saw Matt Scott take off running, I'm like, I don't want him out there running, even though I know he can as a as a as a player. Are you protective of your quarterback in that regard? Would you rather see them not have to do that?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 18: I think these guys you know that.
Speaker 6: Are trained well and uh you know they're they're coach well. Obviously they always keep their eyes downfield. So if there's you know, a five or six yard game you need to get, you know, obviously, go and get what you do, get the first down, move the sticks, but don't try to make any stick the plays. You know, you don't have to be Michael Vick to be a good quarterback, so you know, and he's got a great arm. Matt Scott is developing his development throwing the ball. His last couple of years they were phenomenal, so he didn't have to technically do it. Sometimes Matt Scott would try to run over you.
Speaker 18: Yes, and you try to run over someone bigger than him.
Speaker 6: That made you help your rest a little bit. But other than that, just get the yards that you need to get and then come back the next play ice downfield see if he can capitalize.
Speaker 1: Do you think we just got a couple of minutes, Jake, So, being Jake the optimist, are you going to pick a win?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm always gonna pick a win here. It's gonna be one of those games where Kansas State's gonna say, Okay, so this team, you know, beat the cream of the crop last year in the Big twelve conference in the Alamo bull But it's like, we also want to prove ourselves going to a new conference. So I think you might be see a little bit more of an up and down battle. I think both teams are going to come out trying to impose their role on the other, and I.
Speaker 18: Think the team that makes the most plays.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day.
Speaker 6: I know it's cliche, but a couple more big plays that could be the difference between a fourteen point win and at some point loss.
Speaker 5: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I to me, anything can happen in this game, and that's what I'm kind of thinking of. You know, Arizona can blow them out, get blown out, win a close game, lose a close game. It's nothing. I don't think any well. I think I would be surprised if Arizone got blown out, I really do. I just think that they're better, better than that. You know that they're they're They're a team that shouldn't get blown out by anybody. I guess is the way I see Arizona anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we we got the hosses up front, hopefully the depth is there obviously, but then we got the playmakers where we shouldn't be.
Speaker 5: Getting blown out by anybody.
Speaker 6: It's just a matter of showing up, you know, preparing the right way, getting coached up well, and then you just got to go out and you got to do better than the guy across the line from you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jake, you get better. I will see you the win.
Speaker 3: Get tell them.
Speaker 2: Tell us how to get a hold of you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys, there's on a health insider my phone numbers five two zero eight, five zero.
Speaker 5: Six eight sixty six.
Speaker 6: Go to www dot Arizona health insider dot com open enrollments around the corner. You don't have to wait till then. If you're trying to track good employees, keep even better ones for you know, a business plan, or if you're trying to just shave some dollars off of that budget because things are tough nowadays, give us a call. We'll get you something on averageers save people forty percent on their premium, So give us a call.
Speaker 3: All right, take thanks so much, have a good week game be.
Speaker 18: Well, Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a break, come back for our final segment, and maybe you guys would get some calls in. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love to the twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the men who led them competed against them and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from newt is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 10: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life.
Speaker 4: We off a complete.
Speaker 10: Line of caudio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 12: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate. You need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus.
Speaker 4: All State Agency.
Speaker 1: These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 4: With the Edmund Marcus All.
Speaker 1: State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 17: Breaking down all the excess at Alls. It's Steve Lavera and Jagen SALVIAX. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to I'm out.
Speaker 4: Here on Fox Sports.
Speaker 1: Question you can talk at about thirteen minutes.
Speaker 5: We have an open.
Speaker 3: Line yeah, we had a call.
Speaker 2: We lost him, so yeah, I'm not sure what happened with the system. Look, yeah, they'll call in, Yeah, give us a call back. We can actually take more than one call because we have a new system, so we guy will answer. Yep, we can kind of screen now. Yeah, you're not going straight on the air like you used to. Right, right, right, Okay, we got him. All right, let's take this call. How you're on the R and I on the ball? You're on the on the ball.
Speaker 19: It's a team money.
Speaker 4: Team money, what's up? T money?
Speaker 19: Hey gentlemen, Hey, you guys see the Cat's outfits for Friday.
Speaker 2: Yes, they've got the red helmet with the cats, uh script red pants.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, so there's news, there's try hard and you know that that's a little bit of both. I mean I could see that going to Provo or somewhere like that. But when it's a Friday night game, at the primetime game, this is kind of a coming out party for the Cats, trying to assert the program. But there's no block a on the helmet. There's you know, they're not sticking with the brand, right, Like who made that idea? Who made that decision? Like you have a brand.
Speaker 6: Stick with it.
Speaker 19: Yeah, Joe, people, that is who we've always been in this are we have a basketball program that uses the same logo. So whoever made that decision is, you know, don't let the interns do that like they let they let somebody. But yeah, you know, Tea Money, I can't know.
Speaker 4: I like. I like the way you're going with this team. Money.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you because we we debate this with I do, at least with Jay and some of the listeners who have called in, are you look good?
Speaker 4: Play? Good guy? If you listen to us, you know I'm not you there. I guess he got off.
Speaker 19: I am look good play? But you know what, look your best and play your best? Like right, the block A is the logo, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 6: The brand, right And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I remember when those helmets came out and I thought, I'm not sure I like that, but you know they're they're going to use them. It's like when they came out with the copper helmets, right, I'm like, that's not our color.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 19: Well, no, I get it, I understand. I mean there is appeal to it, but yeah, it's like showing up to showing up to your wedding and not a black tuxedo. You have to understand the venue. You've got to understand where you're at and when you're at, and this is not the time for that. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 19: I'm bold enough to go on this rent?
Speaker 1: I No, That's that's why I wanted to put. If you're like thirty five, you're kind of us and not kind of us.
Speaker 19: I'm a little bit older than that. But I mean, I do remember when they switched to the block Ah. I do remember the swarm, you know, so so classic. Maybe pants with the cats next to the crotch where it should be, the block A on the helmet, maybe some stud stickers on the helmet. But yeah, that's what that's that's the classic look. And this is a Friday night. Everybody's gonna be watching it, and everybody.
Speaker 6: Shouldn't know who you are.
Speaker 19: But now we look like freaking uteb.
Speaker 1: So tell us, are you are you gonna win? Are they gonna win?
Speaker 19: If the O line can hold together and and give h give Noah some time?
Speaker 6: Uh yeah?
Speaker 19: But like you guys are saying, it could go so many different directions. I think this is this game begins and ends in Noah's head. And if if Noah can bring himself and will himself to to to will a win, I think they're gonna win. I'm gonna call it twenty four, twenty three, twenty something in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that's legit, all right, T Money, thanks a bunch man, Play good guy.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, don't you don't you wish you were old enough to know better.
Speaker 2: I should be old enough to know better. I'm so bad at such a lot of that stuff. Stay, from the time I was a little kid, I've been hooked on uniforms and things.
Speaker 3: I always I just always have been.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I remember thinking about when I made my first Little League Majors team. Okay, so we got to where we had the whole uniform with the stirrups, and you know, remember you played miners and you played in the T shirt and jeans, and then you made Majors and I you had pants, and you had stirrups and the whole bit. And I just remember from day one wanted to make sure my stirrups were on right. I remember I would see guys who had the smaller side in the back, and I wanted to go tell them you got your socks on backwards. I remember the one year that my last year in majors, when I was twelve, and they gave us stirrups that were really high where the white could reach the bottom of your pants. And I thought that was the coolest thing ever. And that's just I've always been like that with uniforms. Look, I've never I hardly played at all when in JV and freshman football it's tomorrow. But I had the right socks and I look good. I look damn good. And I was five foot one, but damn it, I wore my uniform just right. And and I've and I've just been that guy from from the get go, got to help you. I was always like that. I mean maybe I wasn't good enough to play, but you know what, I was good enough for the picture who helmet? No, they had had a massive helmet.
Speaker 4: Looks really good. What's up of that helmet?
Speaker 2: Looks like a helmet that fits on the line back.
Speaker 1: One of my guys from the Saturday Show said, why's Chase head so big?
Speaker 2: Because because it just I've had a blockhead forever. My my mom, because all my brothers my dad used to cut her hair, right, did your dad cut your hair? My dad used to cut our hair and my brothers I've got crew cuts, okay, and my mom wouldn't let him give me a crew cut because that looked like Frankenstein, all right. So this one time, this one time, she wasn't home when he cut my hair and he gave me a boat cut, and she would they I they were. She was so mad at him. I thought they're gonna get divorced over this. And it was the only time I ever got a crew cut after that. Eight Probably after that, maybe your dad did it on purpose, well, I think so, because after that she wouldn't let him cut my hair anymore. The guys still get got their hair cut by my dad. I went to a barber when you have this car, of course, yeah, oh it's it's a helmet.
Speaker 3: It's a helmet.
Speaker 2: I got a cut last night, and you said, you see the pile of hair that that I leave behind.
Speaker 4: Well, you take you take weeks to do it, you take five weeks or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go five five five weeks between haircuts, but always looks the same.
Speaker 3: It's just yeah, yeah, it just gets just gets fatter.
Speaker 2: But you know, but yeah, I you know, I I do have the big head, but our whole family does. My sister she hates that.
Speaker 3: Elaine. She's got a massive head.
Speaker 4: Oh Jesus.
Speaker 2: And then she's got a big head of hair, and she's like she she's upset at two things. She got her bow legs and the and the and the big heads. Yeah, that's that's bizarre, bullets. My dad was incredibly bowlegs and.
Speaker 1: That's what that's. Yeah, I mean, that's where you learn it from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean people people see us walk, Yeah, and they all walk.
Speaker 3: The same, very same way because because your son does too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know the girls don't. I don't think no when my daughters no, thank you, gab, thank you. At least your daughters will say that thing. Yeah, well yeah, thanks mom. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I I like, I like what Team Money had to say, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they are who they are, right, University of Arizona, how do you know them?
Speaker 3: The block through the blockade and and.
Speaker 1: We always talk we always talk about at least with more than all them back in in the day with go easy cats, that block a recognizable anywhere.
Speaker 4: I remember that everywhere.
Speaker 2: The initial block A, right, the one that Larry Smith brought with the where the where, the A was all red. And remember when they went from from that A to the one they have now, which they call it the academic A.
Speaker 3: And it was during Dick I think it was in.
Speaker 2: The going to the ninety season, maybe in eighty nine ninety season, I think the ninety season. And I remember thinking they're gonna lose games because of that, because because it's a weeny A. At the time, I like it. Now it's grown on me. It's okay, I'm fine with it. But I thought at the time that A doesn't that's not this is.
Speaker 1: Not tough enough, and you're not You're not Oregon. Oregon does it stupidly too. They give you different styles, different books, and everyone says, oh, that's what the kids want.
Speaker 4: Just win, just win.
Speaker 1: However, you know how my phosphy and ye give me a gunnysack and a good glove and a bat.
Speaker 4: Let's go play.
Speaker 3: Yes, I understand that, but I rather look good playing.
Speaker 4: I know, well, you have to get in the games.
Speaker 3: Well I got to get into the game. No, I didn't have to get in the game to look good.
Speaker 2: I look good even when I wasn't in the game.
Speaker 1: Oh, please call us, please call us, say this from this conversation. Okay, tomorrow, it was Friday. We're gonna have a show. We'll kind of have We'll try to have a little pre game, a little bit of a pregame as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: We can find out some people who's who are in town.
Speaker 2: And can give us some perspective, maybe some former players. Yeah, but it might be hard, man, because we we bump right up against the start of the game, which is on Fox tomorrow. I've been telling people for weeks that this game is on ESPN. It's on Fox, so I hope I didn't confuse you. The program starts at five o'clock. Game usually starts, you know, seven after or something like that. But it's a it's a national game, so it should be good. It should be good. All right, we have a caller. Let's put them on. Hi, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 18: Hey guys, it's Richard.
Speaker 4: Tell you doing did we put you to sleep?
Speaker 18: My prediction for the Kansas State game is Arizona thirty five Kansas State twenty.
Speaker 4: WHOA.
Speaker 18: I just think Arizona's going to find.
Speaker 6: Their legs in this game.
Speaker 18: They played big.
Speaker 20: Time games already last year against Oklahoma on the road. I don't think that's going to be a factor. I think that being on the road is going to help them focus, and I think they're going to play good. I think it's going to take a while. Kansas State is very physical, very loud, crowd, very electric over there. But you know, also a friend of mine woman told me, you know.
Speaker 18: He said, Kansas State is the master of the legal late hit, so be careful, all right.
Speaker 4: All but other than that.
Speaker 18: I don't have anything exciting to say.
Speaker 8: I'm pretty bumped about.
Speaker 18: The Sooners are thirteen point favorites over tu Lane.
Speaker 20: I would take two lane on that.
Speaker 3: Wow, look at you well they oh.
Speaker 18: Yeah, was offensive stuttering yea badly?
Speaker 20: Their Jackson Arnold right now becoming our new offensive coordinator. We've had three tear rest receivers injured starters, so we're having a hard time getting anybody open. And I think Tulane, you know, we'll be have a more prolific offense. Our defense is really good at OU this year, but no offense.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks for sure, Richard thirty five twenty, Thanks for calling. We appreciate it. All right, I've got another call. Hi, you're on the.
Speaker 3: Air and I on the ball.
Speaker 6: Hey, J and C the Tavier.
Speaker 3: How are you.
Speaker 8: I just thought I called and congratulate you guys on the move to that new radio station.
Speaker 2: We moved to a new location, going to the east side, northeast. We're in the foothills, hob We're in the foothills.
Speaker 4: You moved up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what they think. I mean, two Mexicans in the foothills. Maybe that's not you know, you don't know what they think. Are you stopping to stop and you get stairs.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to go there.
Speaker 1: Take it over. So I think Tom's calling because he he said, text me yesterday he did a story.
Speaker 4: On Brennan's road games.
Speaker 8: Right yeah, I mean, I thought, I think it's interesting when some when a new coach comes in and you know, goes on the road. And he really didn't have a good road record at.
Speaker 1: San Jose State.
Speaker 8: But at San Jose State, right and he did. He didn't win his last three on the road last year, including beating a nine and two Uni LV team That was really one of the talks of the college football late last season. They were nine and two and they went into UNLV and one or to a Legion stadium in one, so he had I mean, he he started zero to thirteen on the road and then he beat They beat Arkansas in the season opener in the twenty nineteen season, which you know for Santase States to go into an SEC school and win, that kind of shows that he can get a team ready to play and rowing. Now granted Arkansas wasn't very good that year, they only want two games, but that they were two and one when they played Santa the State. So I was I was just curious to see how how he got his team ready to play on the road because this is obviously his biggest road game.
Speaker 2: Well and on top of that, it's a day earlier, right, so they had to change their regular prep.
Speaker 3: It's a day early.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So there it's going to be interest see how they come out in the first quarter to second quarter because that I think that's going to kind of dictate how the game is going to go the way they prepared and if there they show us different things. And then we've seen the for two games. The players are back, have missed a lot last week, a lot of the players that were not there. If they're back, I think that's going to be the determining factor really how Arizona plays. And I think we'll get them ready and the assistant coaches will get them ready. Judging from how he's been able to be somewhat of a success on the road, especially last year, he hasn't been a top twenty MY team on the road, and he hasn't. The only Power five team he's beaten is is Arkansas.
Speaker 18: But that again, that was the center the state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so.
Speaker 8: I think I think he's capable of leading a team into it a place like Kansas State and doing well and you know, at least being competitive. And a lot of people are are concerned about whether they'll hang with Kansas State. I think I think it's I think that's a possibility. I mean, that's a good possibility.
Speaker 1: So no, I have your have your to my left and haveer on the air. How long have I known you have here? But thirty years?
Speaker 4: Thirty long?
Speaker 1: Was this Alanna Javier that I've known for thirty years?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 20: No, I mean they are ranked, Arizon is ranked how many how many players were out last week including Baker who's.
Speaker 1: So no, I got Javier is in stereo, which is not a good thing. What do you think is gonna happen to borrow give me a score?
Speaker 20: I think Arizona will come up short, but it'll be more competitive what people think it will be. I think it could be around the point spread, around seven points, maybe like a twenty eight to twenty one or twenty to twenty four games. Yeah, yeah, well just because of a feta, the way he's the leader.
Speaker 6: And he's gonna want to bounce back to you had a bad game.
Speaker 1: Isn't this a case this year where now that we know they're going to have to score a lot of points to win in the thirties to win.
Speaker 2: You just generally have to do that in the Big twelve though, okay you are yeah, I mean even if you have a good defense, you're only giving you know, good defense is in the Big twelve?
Speaker 3: Still give up thirty points a game?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: How we got to run?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Thank you for calling. We appreciate it and appreciate the insight.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you. Howis time?
Speaker 2: We got about forty five seconds? About forty seconds here?
Speaker 4: Perfect? Perfect?
Speaker 1: Okay, tomorrow we'll talk more about the game. Actually, a couple of players here, former players to come on see if they say yes.
Speaker 3: Right, should be fun tomorrow, Right, So.
Speaker 2: We're gonna we're gonna bump right up to the game and rush home and watch the game. So it's a five o'clock game tomorrow, Kansas State Arizona to two ranked teams. I think it's the only college game this week where two ranked teams are playing each other.
Speaker 4: So okay, so a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks for being here. We will see you tomorrow.