Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Well, hello out there in podcast land and beyond wherever beyond is these days. Maxie Margarubin along with my co host Malcolm Berman, and this is the Many Shades of Green, our program that adds a dash of green into your life as we engage in conversations that move to inform, educate, activate, and raise your eco and social consciousness through culture, politics, music, art, science, and community also history. My add we hope to inspire you to pick a shede of green and become a steward of this beautiful, blue, green planet we call Earth. So there's a lot of folk here today, so I'll start with my co host Malcolm. Hi, mal And we got we got George, we have Yolanda, we have Jim uh ge Man, we have Golda and Niel's in the back orchestrating all of this. So thank you, Neil, and welcome to the Many Shades of Green. I'm I'm gonna do an intro song today which I've used in the past. I just just to hear the harmonies and some of the lyrics which pertains in ways to what we're going to talk about. Uh, because there's harmony amidst chaos, and this song just reverberates that message as it did in the late sixties when my brother Mitch wrote it. Some of the.
Speaker 3: People slam to the sound of the steam by good night sleep Wow, good night sleep Wow.
Speaker 4: Some people will sleep to the sound of the waves.
Speaker 1: On the show.
Speaker 3: Good night Sleep Wow, good night sleep well.
Speaker 4: Some people will sleep to the sound of the fall bombs.
Speaker 5: Save Wow.
Speaker 6: Sleep. And some people don't sleep bed.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: True in every way, incredible harmonies. That was just amazing when I first heard it. It blew me away, and it blew me away just now brings me to tears pretty much. So some people sleep, some people don't don't sleep at all, as it says, some people remain in their bubbles. Oh there's are proactive. Some people believe in lies, others want the truth.
Speaker 5: Some people believe in.
Speaker 2: Science, history, climate change, and fair elections. Others prefer to believe the cult leader and get joy out of other people's suffering. Some people prefer to take coverage in the Trojan Horse, while others take to the streets to protest and make good trouble. I believe that more of us want to do what's right. We want to have clean air, water, land, and want our children and grandchildren to live in a safe and beautiful world. All the question kind of arises, why don't we sleep, man, There's a lot of reasons. I think we keep getting hit by chaos and the news that just doesn't stop. We're living in imprecedented times, and we seem more divided than ever. Yet we hosted the US hosted the World Cup. Visitors from around the world experience joy here. Our global visitors enjoy the good news nature of the majority of Americans being helpful and welcoming, and in New York, some of them, some of the teams that came here became New York nick fans, so yay. People from around the world were expecting the worst, as they cited news reports of the USA being a total hellhole, and it can't be disputed because we are living in uncertain and difficult times. But it seems that when the world leaders were kind of absent from the picture during those two three weeks, the globe united in that time, which was quite amazing. So today's podcast, we're going to talk about divisions and what we need to do to take action to save our democracy. We must continue to protest. We must perhaps strike climate change is not a hoax and renewable energy is more important than ever. There are things we can learn from history of decades past, especially the sixties and seventies, and George's article, Oh my god, you got to read that, folks. We're going to put the on the link later. So today's podcast, I'm happy to welcome back friends of the show who come on. Yolanda Novis here, George Paulisner, Gold of Las and I have a special guest, Jim driscoll.
Speaker 5: Got to give a little more about him.
Speaker 2: Jim is a decorated combat veteran with two degrees from Harvan and one from Cornell Tought It Mit. He's an activist who helped put together the Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign and the American Peace Test. Jim worked to stop the Gulf War, help to stop the Golf War, and reached out to veterans to start Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans Against the War now named about Face. From twenty twelve to twenty twenty, he focused on climate change, winning the first resolution declaring a climate emergency in Montgomery County, which I believe is Maryland. His accomplishments and resume are just completely too long to list at this moment. So I'm really Jim, I'm honored to have you on the podcast. Put up a link also to one of his organizations when we link it on the show. So everyone, welcome to the many shades of Green. It's so great to have you all. We're gonna have to go quickly into the question. I'm not sure who's gonna take. I'm gonna throw it at I'm gonna throw it at you. You wage first, and then we'll go around kind of how I'm seeing you guys on the screen. So shade of green today? What is your shade of green at this moment in time?
Speaker 6: So as an homage to recycling, I'm gonna use something I've used before. My shade of green is green toxic reflecting pool algae green.
Speaker 2: Green, toxic reflecting algae, reflecting pool green. Okay, we've all seen the green of that pool, so we know I mean only only the.
Speaker 5: Best for the us of eight here.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Jim, what is your shade of green today?
Speaker 4: I think I'll be an Irish shamrock kind of green.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a nice bright color. And uh, we had folks here too. Again, It's great to know everyone has different shades. I'm gonna go I see golda what's your shade today?
Speaker 7: Sonoran desert toad, shade of green survivors the desert desert toad, desert toad, nor in desert tone.
Speaker 6: I feel like she's looking at me when she.
Speaker 5: Says that, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yolanda, what's your I'm turquoise.
Speaker 8: I love the combination of the blues with the greens, the water, the trees, the plants. Uh, it's it's a vibrant not as vibrant as a shamrock green, but it includes the planetary colors that uplift us and that we need to preserve and protect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the blue greens of the waters are in this world.
Speaker 5: They're beautiful. And Malcolm, my shade.
Speaker 9: Of green this week is a green of money. Money, And it's amazing how much of the prison has made in the last year and a half. And so I'll shade some green in his pocket.
Speaker 5: Can you spell corruption? Okay?
Speaker 2: But anyway, so trying to keep this in the order of which mister sent this to me. There's so much going on, you don't know what to go for first, So I'm going to start to start with Yolanda and everyone could chime in wherever they want to chime in, talking about like energy transition.
Speaker 8: And.
Speaker 6: You know, briefly, Maxine, so we were talking. I was conspiring with Yolanda a couple of days ago, and it's always such an inspiration to talk to her. I mean, you literally could have taped us on Tuesday and had two programs, but next time. But she was talking really about with the conflict right now in Iran and other conflicts raging around the world, Ukraine and Russia, and the attacks on the refineries, that more than ever, we really need to make a concerted effort on energy transition and transformation of our portfolio from vossil fuels, which are harming the planet and causing people to suffer all around the world, not just Iranian elementary school children who were the unfortunate recipients of American bombs and missiles, but everywhere around the world. And so Yolanda, I thought a lot of your thoughts about that were incredibly important to lead us on the show.
Speaker 8: Well thank you for that lead in. And what is going on in the world is devastating, and yet it is causing people to really come together and here in California and elsoorvi at I am in California, there's a tremendous initiative now to really focus on climate change goals and to get us back on track to move to sunshine and electrical energy sources. We should have done all of that decades ago, and we should have had underground power wires so we wouldn't have had all these wildfires that were sparked by faulty wires that were left up above ground rather than putting them underground. And there probably has to be some legislation paths to make these things happen. But there is a large movement in California on all fronts in terms of really looking at the climate change goals. A couple of years ago, when they had the big conference in what was a Dubai in the Middle East, twenty two hundred of the twenty five hundred participants were oil company lobbyists. So you know, money buys power, and that's who was at that big event that should have been focusing on the goals of climate change, but it rather was working in the opposite direction. But here in California. We're on it, and I think in other places too. Their initiatives really in many places around the country. The good news is abroad they've taken things seriously. Spain is almost now completely on electrical power. The cars are smaller, they're electrically powered. They're a smaller country than we are, maybe about just under fifty million, and we're what three hundred and fifty million. But we could move in that direction.
Speaker 4: We have the.
Speaker 8: Superstructure to be able to do these things. It is the lack of will because of the power and influence and the money of the major fossil few companies, And unfortunately, our president has indicated that he just wants to go, you know, drill, baby, drill, and that has to stop. We've got to move in the other direction. The war is also a major challenge because war is a pollutant in and of itself. Remember Chernobyl in nineteen eighty six, and the fact of that nuclear blow up travels around the world, and so we have to keep talking about how everything is interconnected, how we need to keep working to bring balance and harmony back into mother Earth. And I think back on meeting Rusty Schweikert after he returned from the Moon back in the seventies. It was I think and he said he just altered his entire perspective when he was re entering the Earth's atmosphere and he could look down and see Mother Earth, and he saw it as Mother Earth, a living, breathing, green, blue, you know planet. And that's where we have to start visualizing and seeing this renewal of this resource, this mother, this nurture that is our planet. And so there's a lot to do, a lot to do, and we have to counter the war. We know that that's a terrible thing to do to any environment. And it's all interconnected, and we have to begin talking about that and showing children and showing young adults the connections that exist and the harmonies that need to be brought back into balance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot that needs to be you know, taught.
Speaker 6: And beyond climate, I mean, it's become an issue of national security too, because you know, you're you're dealing with one of the most import exposed systems of energy delivery that I mean, we can see clearly now through the Strait of Hormuz that the pricing is very volatile, and because the American economy is still so dependent upon moving things from manufacturing facilities onto store shelves. It's highly dependent upon the price of diesel fuel and other fossil fuels to get onto store shelves. So it's really running through the life bread, life blood of our economy that when there's a fluctuation of crude oil from eighty dollars a barrel to one hundred dollars a barrel. First of all, the oil companies are very fast to jack up prices at the pump, but it affects food supply and everything else within our economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I keep remembering odd even days. What if we should bring that back in some form.
Speaker 6: Well, we're definitely, We're definitely all in odd days.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, we're a very odd day.
Speaker 2: And I just you know, Al Gore, just if he was president, like you should have been, we would have been just so far ahead of everything.
Speaker 5: It looks like China is leading more than we think they have.
Speaker 2: They have an electric car which we can't even get here, which is supposed to be amazing and cheaper price and longer battery.
Speaker 5: You know, it gives you more miles on a charge. And we're just going backwards.
Speaker 6: So that's exactly right. I mean, as Yolanda said, while the rest of the world is moving forward with renewable, safe, clean energy. As a matter of fact, by the year twenty thirty, renewable capacity is set to double. But in the meantime, we have an administration, a presidential administration that in their campaign brought oil executives to mar A Lago and offered to basically accelerate licensing drilling in major wildlife preserves in our national parks in order for campaign contributions. I mean, back to your word earlier, Maxine spelling corruption. I mean, it's just another example of this administration's quid pro quo.
Speaker 8: Well, George's comment about the days on and off on an even days that we used a long time ago, and many countries are continuing to use in many ways. I spent a lot of time in Mexico during the period of time when we had the last you know, oil crisis, and they were doing off and on days in Mexico City, which is a huge metropolis. You talk about cars and not enough you know road space, that is the place. But they were doing it, and they were managing it. So we've been behind the eight ball we did it, but we can do it again. In fact, there are a lot of things you were talking about, harmony and all of that margo that we had in the seventies and eighties, and the movements that we had going that were so positive, small as beautiful. We were backing away from fossil fuels fuels, but that's you know, that's shifted gears, and we have to get back to that idea of harmonizing with nature and harmonizing with one another and unifying in a way that's very positive and constructive and doing odd and even days would be a great thing for us to restart here in California certainly and around the nation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I remember that very well.
Speaker 2: I don't you know how much the whole idea was to get people to realize we got to do something other than what we're doing, that fossil fuels has to change.
Speaker 9: But you were talking earlier about California and how progressive it is. But most of the California law laws was I don't know if it was deemed unconstitutional, but the federal government knocked it down because I said it was unfair to care manufacturers.
Speaker 6: You're talking about the e p A right, Yeah, mile adjustment.
Speaker 9: Mile adjustments and how the is there any PA? Then the cars have to qualify for it, and it's unfair to the manufacturers to do something, especially for California, and that was knocked down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, right now we have an environmental plunder agency, but not protection agency to be sure that's true.
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Anyone else chiming in on this this subject matter before we kind of move along because we wanted to get Gym in as well.
Speaker 5: George, any anything? Were we good?
Speaker 6: I think I think it's good to move on to Gym. I mean, just one last comment is we knew this. I mean the oil embargo of the nineteen seventies that led to the odd and even gas rationing. People reacted to it. Consumers started buying smaller cars. They bought Dotson's and Hondas, and unfortunately, because we have short attention spans and we needed I guess more trunk space for our big max and you know, quarter pounders, we got bigger and bigger cars again. And it's just absolutely I mean I drive now, if I'm driving in a little Prius and I'm surrounded by like hummers and SUPs, I can't even see where I'm going, which is a problem.
Speaker 5: So now there's trucks there.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of trucks because in there, and they're really trying to push them, I mean commercialing, I mean for that, they're commercialing for these these trucks, you know, Rams and one fifties and whatever, and they were supposed to do like ev versions, but that's kind of been pulled back.
Speaker 5: So yeah, people, we got to start getting out of our bubbles.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: Think well, one of my first cars back, I think it was in the sixties, the late sixties, mid sixties, was Renaldolphine, a midget core and I learned very quickly that trucks cannot see you in the rear view mirror. There's a blind spot that if you are on the right side of a truck they chuck cannot see you. Because I've been cut off so many times until I learned that.
Speaker 5: That that was a small car.
Speaker 7: You can you can ride a bicycle, and they're trying to attack the bicyclists like bike lanes are the enemy. And I just think it's so funny that, you know, anything good has to be treated like the enemy. But in many countries, you know, bikes and e bikes are actually increasing and that also makes people healthier. So there's there's so much that we can, Like you said, the pedal.
Speaker 5: To the middle, as they say, put your pedals around, all right.
Speaker 2: So so Yolanda, thanks for for bringing all of this great stuff out, and we're going to move on to UH to getting Jim Fisco in UH.
Speaker 5: George, do you want to bring him in?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? I mean the way that Jim and I connected. We've been to some local events here in Tucson, and I know that we share concern along with many people that are watching the midterm elections very closely, in terms of the potential for the midterms to be subverted, suspended, or the deployment of federal officers that are armed for intimidation and harassment, the potential seizure of voting machines, and so I know, Jim, if you want to talk a little bit about your thinking about a general strike, I know I've written some about it that simply getting together on the streets every quarter to protest the fact that we reject monarchy and have for the last two hundred and fifty or so years isn't enough. We may need to basically start start hitting the balance sheets and asset statements of many of these billionaires and entities that are continuing to fund a felon at in the executive in the executive branch.
Speaker 4: There's you know, kind of good evidence around the around the globe really that when you have an authoritarian takeover like Trump is in the middle of that, it does take more than standing on the sidelines sidewalks and waving waving flags, which I think we're all waving signs. I think probably most of us have done quite a bit of that. It really the ultimate kind of tactic in the nonviolent resistance arsenal is to impose economic costs, as George said so clearly on the people mostly who are backing Trump. I mean, Trump, a lot of people argue is kind of an EPI phenomenon. The real problem is kind of the system that we've left develop in this particular direction, and it would give us one clown or another in charge, and you have to put imposed costs on those billionaires who are benefiting from this regime of deregulation and low taxation that Trump has brought us, you know, in his first terminess being us again. So it seems everything he's said and done indicate that he does not intend to be bound by the results of this mid term elections. And so we've come together as a large kind of movement. You can look on the words page on May Daystrong dot org. There are over six hundred organizations, labor unions, community groups that have come together to try and provide the kind of push that's going to be needed to stop Trump. And there we met out in Saint Louis back during May after May Day and said, okay, what do we do. And at that point, there are nine cities that constitute thirty percent of the economic output of the United States that have committed to said, look, if he's going to remove this last kind of boundary, this last limit on his power by ignoring the results of the elections, then we're going to shut down economically. We're going to shut the place down. And so we're working at a we're a Tier two state out here in Arizona, but we're working as hard as we can to be ready to add our bit of disruption to things in November. We assume it'll probably you know, be closer to election day or even after because a lot of the red lines that we have George laid out some that come before. I mean this whole Save Act, which includes you know, voter ID and a termination of a restriction rather on male balloting, both of which are directed primarily at working people, people who tend to vote Democratic. The other ones will be rehit by those Save Act restrictions. But you know, as you move to the election day itself, we have this great example from Florida in two thousand that stop counting the stop counting the ballots can have a significant effect. And from two thousand and twenty it goes on really until January third, when these to be seated. I mean, the question is do you keep counting the ballots? Do the state officials certify the results of the election? Are the people who are elected seated? So there are all these red lines that we're watching, and at some point in there we expect there's going to be a point where these group, local groups like ours will decide, Okay, that's it. We have to shut it down. We have to, you know, do the take that step which has been required again and again to stop an oligarch.
Speaker 9: Yeah, how do you do that? Because right now Trump is making no secret about what he intends to do. I mean basically every speech he does, where every time I hear him, he's basically talking about how it's a rigged election, how it's unfair, how no matter what happens, he's going to win because you know, the election is influenced by you know, corrupt people. He's making that clear right now and now more and more what he's saying is he's going to run for a third term. As a matter of fact, the last time he said it's a fourth term because he won. He won the third term the second time, and the second time he won, so this was really his third thing in office. And now he's going to do a fourth term. But he's not making any secret of that.
Speaker 6: I'd like to see him serve consecutive terms at writers.
Speaker 5: Alcatraz? Yeah, do they want to do something with Alcatraz?
Speaker 9: Now we know his modus operandi, we know what he's going to do. The thing is what are we going to do? You know, as you said your plans, how are you going to do it? You basically have to ship ship businesses well people.
Speaker 4: I don't want to undermine our commitment to the elections. I mean, clearly, people have to register to vote, have to go out and vote, So you need to encourage everybody around you to do that so that we prove the point which the polls are bearing out, at least to the House and possibly for the Senate, that he will he'll lose control of them. But it's he He's made clear repeatedly in prior elections that he is not constrained by the result of the elections. So we have to be willing to take this step of putting, you know, just millions of people into the street repeatedly. The commitment that these nine cities have made is for two weeks of economic disruption, could be hopefully be less, could be longer. But that's and that's so it's kind of so out far the experience, outside the experience of people in the United States. And it's complicated because the United States has a particular system of industrial relations which is based on these you know, company based contracts that union sign and in the in the contract language almost always is a prohibition against a strike, and if you strike, then the union is an organization and the offices as individuals a subject to civil pretty substantials civil liability. So the unions have to kind of tap dance around the edjudice, they can't call for their members to go out and strike, and so you have these different Here we're dealing with it in a right to work state, where you know, they they have to we have to do things at the grassroots kind of person to person level among union members and not so much with the formal organizations. But one way or the other, we have to do it. I mean that that that kind of a shutdown, that kind of a mass uh, non violent non cooperation is what it's taken around, you know, Philippines career around the around the world to stop an oligarch and just say, in this case, we had an election seat the seat the Congress, let them impeach you again, you know, and you have to go as far as we can with the rules. I mean I personally, I think Maccine said earlier. You know, Al it would have been great if al Gore had been elected. Had to deal with al Gore over the First Golf War. He was the deciding He and Sam Nunn, his colleague, were the two deciding votes to allow us to go in and it made Iraq in the First Golf War. So I'm not a big fan of political parties. As the kind of the the litmus test for what we need to do. So I'd kind of like to see this, you know, may day, whatever it is continue on as an existing organization that can dictate more to the political parties and to the system to make the kind of because you get out a list of the things that people in the United States would like to have. How about universal health care, you know, how about free education, how about housing jobs? You know, and so these are all things that other.
Speaker 10: That sounds that sounds like communism joke, you think they want that versus a big, beautiful, we want an archway and you know, an agreed pool.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well back to South Korea. You mentioned South Korea. So the military there were like, what are we doing here? We can't do this. They had some principles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in all of these attempts to stand in the way of an autocrat, the military is very important and that you know it. Unfortunately, the military is being undermined really, you know, distorted with all of these promoting you know, refusals to promote women or people of color to high ranking offices. I mean, it's just crazy that this guy who was a major at the pinnacle of his career and made his bones as a commentative.
Speaker 6: I think that's why some of Trump's first actions were appointments to military leadership and putting somebody in place that has absolute fealty to Trump and expanding his power.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he he's getting rid of all the military leaders, the bigwigs that make their decisions that don't agree with him, and he's putting in his own people.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to pull that thought because we hit the brake. We'll come back with it and then we'll you know, we'll talk a little more. So it's time for a station break. We'll be back more with important info from Yolanda Nava and Jim Drisco Gold of Ales, George Paulisner, Malcolm So please stay tuned.
Speaker 4: Hudson River Radio dot com, Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 9: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 5: And we are back. We have quite a crew here today. Again.
Speaker 2: We have Yolanda Nava, Jim driscoll, Gold of Les, George Paulisner we know him, uh, and we're gonna talk more about kind of the state of democracy and elections and other things and how we can engage more and become more involved because certainly the midterm's coming up. We need people to register to vote, We need people to come out in numbers never seen before because he can't I don't think, do much when there's.
Speaker 5: More numbers than he can deal with.
Speaker 2: So please subscribe to our podcasts and all major apps. Follow us on Facebook, Threads, Instagram, Blue ski At, Team, Shades of Green, and all.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm going to have George.
Speaker 2: We want to kind of wrap up the stuff that Jim was saying, So let's get a couple of points in and then we'll move on.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks Vaccine, So Jim, I mean, I really do. I'm a huge advocate for really the necessity of a general strike. I mean, certainly the red line of election subversion is a very important red line. I mean, the reality is, dating back to January twenty twenty five, the denial of due process, the ice killings and detentions and deportations, just so many different acts of this government have been grounded in a basis of abuse and cruelty. I mean, there have already been so many red lines, and so I mean I certainly support a number of tier in states taking a lead in terms of trying to disrupt and make it very clear to the billionaires who are funding this administration for their tax cuts and tax loopholes regardless of the rest of the country. Uh falling apart and burning. But I also am concerned with the plight of the average citizen because many of us may be insulated from the effects or maybe have some financial reserves, but over half of the people of the United States are are surviving paycheck to paycheck are worse. And so that the idea of a general strike for so many people when it could mean the loss of that paycheck and housing insecurity, food in security. What are the what are your thoughts and what was some of the reaction in Saint Louis about how to how to address that kind of that kind of economic vulnerability.
Speaker 4: Well, the Mayday Strong Coalition has a strong emphasis on affordability and what are the things that can be done to provide economic support to people who are you know, as you said, left out of the economy at the moment. So you know, we're talking about those issues as well, but there's people who are listening. Really, this is this is an historical moment. I mean, if you look around the world, once these autocrats take power, it's hard to get them out, and so what people need to sort of take a deep breath and say, this is unusual for the United States. It's not. We don't have a history of general strikes like they do in countries they have a different sort of set of political political actors. But really it's likely to come to head around November. That's true. There have been many red lines, but it's kind of a folkocus now on this next kind of critical one, which is the election. So can you do it? Go to mayday dot strong, maydaystrong dot org. There are groups all over the country that are preparing for this and get involved because this is just after we've voted, after we've registered and the results come in. It's quite likely that there's going to be this next step that we're all going to have to take, and it's going to be uncomfortable for a lot of us. I mean, we're working as with a bunch of mutual aid groups out here, George to try and do what we can to help people with food and childcare. Is a big thing because in Tucson we're good at shutting down the school system. But the problem is that kind of you know, puts the burden on the parents, and so yeah, we're all over the country. We're wrestling through the points that you describe. But the fact is, if we don't do this, we may be kicking ourselves for twenty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's the.
Speaker 2: ACLU executive director Anthony Romero suggested mass street mobilization and shutting down on the country if the administration defies court orders, which.
Speaker 5: They are doing.
Speaker 2: He didn't explicitly call for a general strike, but people thought that he was in a way, even though he didn't outright say it. So in certain places. I mean when I saw this, I'm like, wow, you know, this is the head of the ACLU. He's the executive director, and he's like, look where we are now, and if we don't do something drastic, we are like pretty much dead where we stand.
Speaker 9: So I do understand is, boy, the Democratic Party isn't putting more emphasis on the finances. Everybody like we're doing. All the businesses are up. Look how much a stock market is up. But then you read where eighty eight percent of all the stocks are owned by ten percent of the population, and it's probably and then it probably gets even more refined as it gets higher up, and they're always talking about oh, but the poorer is you know, you know they get the tax rebate, look what our president did, But they don't say that the rich, the multi billionaires are getting you know what their tax you know what they're saving. Yeah, and now how our country is going more and more into debt that we may not be able to pay off. Like what he's doing with his other companies, he might run the US into bankruptcy.
Speaker 6: Well, the democratic messaging is certainly flawed to Jim's earlier point, I mean, the thought of transcending political parties into electing a Congress that will embrace equality, justice, and democracy regardless of party. I mean, that's pretty much where I've landed. Although certainly in terms of platforms, the democratic platform is still a preferred platform over just you know, give rich people your money and then hope it trickles back down to you, which is the GOP platform in a nutshell. So, but democratic messaging is one thing, but this is something very very different in terms of and as Jim was talking, I was thinking, this may be the last opportunity we have before having to pick up a weapon and standing at post. And so the thought of a general strike as Jim was saying, as a response to a subversion of the election, may be our last opportunity to do this in a non violent way, which I would certainly prefer.
Speaker 7: Speaking of the people with weapons, one of the big calls out is to meet with your police and sheriff, and some of us have been meeting with them about the abuses of ice, and we need to use those relationships to meet with the police and sheriff and talk to them about what happens in terms of protecting our elections and what happens after when we to start those conversations at all the local levels. And I know there are people working on that in Tucson, and I hope there are every place where people are listening talking to those police chief and sheriff who have done who are supposed to protect you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, well to pick up on that and the ice situation, one of the most effective things that all dictators have used is hey, and you weaponize hatred and then you divide people and division conquerors people. There's a saying in Spanish adito a proverb pueblo pueblo DVD the pueblo, and sito a divided community is a defeated community. It's really important. So much has been played around ethnic politics, and I just want to say that ICE has been attacking immigrants because our president has created a wall of hatred against all Latinos, accusing them of being, you know, rapists and all that. He is the rapist, he is the criminal, he is the violator on all fronts, and he's projecting us onto other people. And we need to look at that piece of it. But overall, in this country, the Espano Latino population is a four point one trillion dollar economic market. That's a lot of free oilists. I think we're the largest economic group in the country, and so we need to share more information about the positive aspects of this community. You know, they come from other countries, Yes, And within a generation or two, the kids, my my children's father's grandfather was a farm worker in Oxnard. He picked strawberries. His father, his son became a uh butcher and plant supervisor of a large meat placking plant in in Los Angeles. And his son became a California state legislator and senator. So in a matter of generations, these these huge changes and shifts that empower each generation is you know, goes further, U is very important to look at the contributions of people across the country and fortunately in these uh in Minnesota and elsewhere where, neighbors are coming to rally, you know, and to protect their members against ice is very important. And we've got to stop this hatred and the movement towards you know, UH. Margaret was talking about, you know, to have harmony and to have the idea of peace, and how do we get there is still love our neighbor to do these very basic things, and it's very true and you're right on point on that, and so I really want to raise this issue that we are a large to the Latinos on Mexican American first generation in this country. My parents came from Chihuahua in the nineteen twenties after the revolution there, and many of the massive exos from Mexico occurred after the revolution, just like they do for most countries. But we're an empowered people and a growing population and a growingly educated population. We're not hitting the top top tiers of positions because there's so much tremendous prejudice and racism still at that level, but in terms of economy, we are the contributors.
Speaker 5: We are the workers.
Speaker 8: That's one of the California is such a thriving state and an economically wealthy state. We're the fourth largest economy in the world, California, and we are a majority minority state and the majority of our minorities are Latinos. So it's it's we have to look at people differently and not allow ourselves to hate and allow ourselves to be divided based on hate, because then that becomes a weapon. And that has called all that's called the rise of this guy, and he needs to be rejected and eliminated from the public life. Put him on a spaceship to Mars and gold gilded and send him out there with Musk and his friends because they don't belong here. They're not contributing in any way or making our world a better place.
Speaker 9: Well, I didn't know. In history, has there been a nation that is so diverse as the United States that stayed together.
Speaker 2: Has there been a county more diverse than Queens in New York in the entire world. Queens New York has one hundred and eighty languages spoken.
Speaker 5: Literally, it is the most diverse county in the world.
Speaker 2: Actually, and everyone basically gets along, which is amazing.
Speaker 9: So no, but as I I'm Jewish, and and I and I have a star of David I wear I don't you know. I generally have it in my shirt but occasionally it comes out. And as I was raised in New York City and I live in Los Angeles, so everybody knows someone that's Jewish. But I was amazed how many people I see and they say, oh, are you Jewish? I don't know any Jews.
Speaker 5: Well, but I don't know that they know. That's the problem.
Speaker 8: Right, But anywhere Jewish, we're all.
Speaker 6: Jewish field of fish for all, We're all in this tiny little.
Speaker 2: There's so many groups, Yes there are, but I want that Yes, Malcolm, you're absolutely right. Your point is well taken, but I would I want since we're kind of getting near the end of this, I want to go to to talk about these shared government models before we have to like leave.
Speaker 5: George, I don't think.
Speaker 2: We're getting into the other points, but Gold, I want to get you in on shared governance because I think that's an important thing too.
Speaker 7: I will I should say that George wrote this like book length essay on convergence and you have to read it.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 7: Go to sub stack and find leadership matters and just look at convergence and you will learn so much and have so much hope.
Speaker 5: Be telling you that.
Speaker 7: It shows how people with you don't have to agree on everything. You just have to kind of more or less go in the same direction, like we're doing here, right. That's very important. But quickly, I thank you for squeezing me in here. I should have said that my favorite color of green was green grass green for the grassroots, because I am a big, bottom up grassroots person and we're actually turning corporations into a force for good if you can believe that now before you attack me there. George is the one who turned me on to the Corporation book by Joel Bakhan, who was like, oh, it has to be profits over people, but they don't have to be. There's actually a variation on corporations called public benefit corporations where they don't have to do that. And then corporations are just a body of people incorporated to cooperate with each other that you can actually do any way you want. And so we're doing it with earned governance where the workers have work weighted votes. It's not one person, one vote, where a person walks up and can have an equal vote to someone who's been working there. It's actually earned over time, and we're launching it as an accelerator program. We call it workers dot VC. So we're taking back the venture capitalist idea, We're taking back the corporations, We're taking back all the ways that we cooperate with each other, because it turns out that people are especially young people, they are struggling, they are exhausted, and they need a way to work together to earn together. And that's one of the best ways that you can reduce hate in some ways. I'm a software engineer. I have Indians and pakistanis that work together. You know, we have all kinds of people work together. We just work together because we want to get the job done. And I believe that shared society through work and creating something together that actually feeds us and nurtures us and maybe recycles batteries. We're going to talk to someone who might join with a with a recycling startup. We can make something happen ourselves and the grassroots up without waiting for anyone to tell us that we can. We can just do it. And so it's workers dot BC. We're looking for mentors and founders and advisors and networks and all of that. And we might put Alanovo in, which is George's startup, which was a nonprofit, but since it doesn't have any money, it might as well just be a corporation. And it's for for making helping consumers buy and align with their value. So that might be in there, and you could join that and get a part of it, and maybe we'll just all do well together and ignore these guys with their.
Speaker 5: Get me, hey, give some of that. Give me, give me, give me some of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's important that people, you know, you know workers. You read in the papers, you read in the Times that people are still working crazy, insane hours, so they're not getting off of work. They're not they're getting a week paid vacation when in Europe it's like five six weeks. They're not getting childcare, they're not getting healthcare. I mean, at this point, the worker is just went back again. It seems like we're going in the reverse way.
Speaker 5: A lot of times.
Speaker 7: It's global, just very quickly.
Speaker 6: It's global.
Speaker 7: It's not just the US, right, our elected CEO is actually in Nairobi. It's very late there, so she didn't join us. But it's actually global. We don't have to these boundaries. This whole money, this nation boundaries are just myths we made up. We don't like to do something.
Speaker 2: Else right right, Well, there's a lot of good stuff that you, all of you are doing and have done and continue to do. Which is why when I look at things, I see hope in a lot of ways versus the horrible stuff that you see coming at us every day. It's like they're taking spears and constantly throwing and we have the the shields.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, go see The Odyssey. Yeah, it'll it's an intense, intense movie, but it but it's it mirrors a lot of things here currently, so that's why you know it's it's it's a good movie to see.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much you can get in, George, because I think we kind of hit the hit the mark. So if there's anything any you know, you want to throw in something quick and anyone else wants to rap with something now that I'd like.
Speaker 8: To Marco and I'd like to play off on what you started the show with, and it's it's this idea of harmony and peace. And I recently attended a live performance of Joni Mitchell's music in Los Angeles at the Pole perform. It was sensational, so you were talking about the sixties and seventies. Everybody on the show and anybody listening can tune into Joni Mitchell on Pandora and you will get the their prayers. Her song's lyrics are really prayers and active and she's amazing and it was all revived. I thought it was her singing, it wasn't, but it was her words and lyrics rearranged. It was brilliant, and I think we should just all tune into that and just draw in and take her words and lyrics as our intentions, as our prayers to transform our country.
Speaker 5: In the world.
Speaker 8: And it is doable. We've done it before, we need to do it again and for keeps this.
Speaker 2: Time yep, absolutely great. Anyone else timing in before we have to hit out.
Speaker 6: Well, I just briefly wanted to say everybody here is so inspiring and thank you. Golda and I have been conspiring together for over twenty years on public good and she's doing amazing work. I just wanted to say from a tangible perspective. Everyone listening, make sure you check your voter registration that it's still active and current. If you're not registered, register. We need the eighty million people that did not vote in twenty twenty four to vote, because one thing that can really help with the selection and concerns over his subversion is a tsunami of informed, educated voters coming to the polls that will not accept any kind of any kind of corruption or subversion by this government.
Speaker 2: Right, we need we need millions of people, millions and millions of millions of voices. I actually wrote a song by that name. Uh and Joony Mitchell is wow near and dear to my heart.
Speaker 5: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Yolanda for bringing her up. She's quite quite something. So we're gonna peace out.
Speaker 5: We're gonna you know this, this this group has been amazing.
Speaker 2: I would love to have you back again in the fall sometime. Maybe we need to get some of the more Georgia stuff out, so we will. But George, thanks for getting this, this, this wonderful group of people together, and so we're gonna sign it off, and I'm gonna say thanks everyone for joining us, for the many shades of green, for more info and shows, go to Hudson River Radio dot com, Malcolm Presents dot com and the Many Shades of Green dot com. Send us your thoughts at Team Shades of Green on Instagram, follow us on Facebook and threads, subscribe to our podcasts and all major apps. A shout out to Neil, Neil, what can I say?
Speaker 5: You know how I feel? To Brian and Malcolm for their help.
Speaker 2: Remember, always pick a shade of green and raise your eco and social consciousness Maxi, Margar Rubin and we'll see you again next time.
Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot com.