Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to Sandy Steers with friends of Big Bear Valley. A very exciting day in the nest, Sandy, Hello.
Speaker 2: Yes we do. It's very exciting to see them out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell us what when did this start? And is it pretty normal to have it take about this long for them to come out or did they come out extra quick?
Speaker 3: It's pretty it was pretty normal. The last one, you know, one day is on the fast side, but it's not faster than usual, okay. And both of them took about well, the first one took about a little over a day and the second one took about a day.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the first one was officially hatched, and they start with the pipping that's when they break through the shell, and then you consider them hatched once they're completely.
Speaker 2: Out, Yes, when they're out of the shell, okay.
Speaker 1: And the second one just finished hatching like an hour ago.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what happens now? What does now that they've got two eaglets and we've we still have a third egg that could hatch. Maybe we don't know yet. It's still within the window of time for it to be able to be viable, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's correct, it still could hatch.
Speaker 2: It was only thirty four days yesterday, and they don't even really start hatching until at least thirty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we're watching the third egg. But we've got two little babies out. And what do Jackie in shadow now do to keep them safe? Protect them? What are we what are we going to be looking for?
Speaker 2: Well, they will be you know, covering them as usual and probably taking turns if Jackie let's shadow have his turn, and they will be starting to feed them as soon as the chick drives off a little bit and can sit up. It takes it a while before it can even hold its head up, and then they will start feeding it little bits, feed both of them little bits of food, and we'll watch and few what happens. But they will start bringing more and more fish and other food to the nest and kind of stored along the side, so there's plenty there for Whenever they stand up, they will start trying to feed the chicks.
Speaker 1: Okay, and they immediately go right to like fish and other meat, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: The parents will break off little pieces of fish and or ducks usually and start feeding tiny pieces to the chick.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then sandy. We know that we've got another rainstorm coming. We just had some snow in the nest. And I saw Jackie the other day. Does she sat there as hail fell on her? I mean, she just weather's the storm. But one, I mean, the chicks are okay if another heavy rainstorm.
Speaker 4: Comes in, Yes, the chicks are okay.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've got she's calling in the background. The chicks are fine, and they will keep them covered. And they don't have waterproof feathers yet, so that's why they keep them covered the whole time. But Jackie and Shadow are very good at that, so they will be fine through the storm. And Jackie and Shadow are sort of waterproofed, so they will also be fine.
Speaker 1: I love that. And I know that I've been watching obviously you have been watching. Pretty much everyone here at KFI has been watching the Big Bear Eagle cam. So how many people are watching this?
Speaker 2: Yesterday we had I think it was fifty nine thousand and something we're watching at the same time.
Speaker 1: It's just I mean, it's just it's just nature. But you say it's just nature, it's such a miracle and it's so cool to watch Jackie in shadow being the parents and like tending to the eggs, and now we're going to watch them as they help their babies grow, which is another It's just beautiful to watch. So and we thank the friends of Big Bear Valley for putting that camera up. I know that you guys have to maintain that you're a nonprofit. Can people help and donate to you guys if they want to keep those cameras going?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: On our website we can take donations friends at Big Bear Valley dot org. And we also have Eagle merchandise that we sell that helps support it as well, So any of that helps keep the camera going.
Speaker 1: Eagle merchandise. I love that, Sandy Steers, very exciting day. Thanks for making some time to come on and share the happy news with us. We love happy news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're welcome. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, take care,