Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our series about the nineteen eighty nine disappearance of Charles Horvath, which is a special one because it takes place in Jules's home province of British Columbia. As a brief recap from last week's episode, Charles, even though he was born in Canada to his British mother, Denise Allen, he spent most of his life being raised in England, but then decided that he wanted to go on a backpacking trip across the country which would last several months. But sometime in May of nineteen eighty nine, his mother suddenly lost all track of him. She didn't get any letters, phone calls or postcard yards, even though they were planning to meet together in Hong Kong that August, but Charles never contacted her to arrange about making the trip, so Denise finally took the initiative to travel to British Columbia herself perform her own independent search for initially did not get too much help from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, but she did eventually find out that he was last seen in a campground called the Tiny Town Tent and Trailer Park, where he left some of his personal belongings behind, but there was no evidence of what happened to them, so when we picked this up, it's in nineteen ninety two. Denise has made another trip to British Columbia to perform her own independent search for Charles, but while staying at a motel, she wound up getting an anonymous note slipped under her door which read, I seen your ad in the paper looking for your son. I seen him May the twenty sixth. We were partying and two people knocked him out, but he died. His body is in the lake by the bridge end quote. Well, surprise, surprise, Denise could not really get the RCMP to help, for at first, she began to speculate that this bridge might have been the Okanagan Lake Bridge, which is also known as the Kelowna floating bridge, which ran over Okanagan late as part of Highway ninety seven and was fairly close to the campground and her motel. So since the police were reluctant to perform a search of river, Denise got the help of the Canadian Search Center for Missing Children, who agreed to launch a private search effort and got a team of volunteered divers to search near the Okanagan Lake Bridge, belonging to an organization from Vancouver called International se Search, who used a mini submarine with a submersible camera, and surprise, surprise, after the search started getting some publicity in the media and the RCMP knew that they were probably going to look pretty bad if they did not helped, they finally agreed to participate in the search effort.
Speaker 2: Well, when it comes down to optics, it appears that like they were going to do the very least that they had to do initially because we just didn't see much action, really had to advocate for Charles, and so when the public gets involved and when there's eyeballs and fingers pointing at the RCMP in this specific case, it's clear that that is the impetus or the motivation that they need to actually do what needs to be done or what some might say is their job.
Speaker 1: Yes, we talked about this a lot in our last episode that Denise literally cannot do a search for over a year after Charles went missing because she could not get the RCMP to do anything. From England. They pretty much said, well, he's twenty years old, he's an adult. If he doesn't want to cock to his mother anymore. It's his legal right. But of course, once Denise did her search and found out that he left all of his personal belongings behind at this campground, she began to suspect that, no, he did not disappear voluntarily, he was likely the victim of foul play because he would just not cut off all contact. And of course this note seemed to confirm her theory because they were alleging that he was killed after during an incident at a party. So they searched for five days in the lake were unable to find anything, but Denise suddenly received a second anonymous note delivered to her hotel room which said, quote you were searching at the wrong end of the bridge end quote. And once again, it was delivered there by a taxi driver who claimed he had been given a tip by an unidentified young man to drop the note off at a room, but was unable to offer much information or a description to figure out who did this. And sure enough, the diver started searching the opposite side of the Okanagan Lake bridge and wound up coming across a human body about forty meters deep in the water, which was brought to the surface, and it was decomposed at first, so they couldn't tell who it really belonged to. But surprise, surprise, this body did not actually belong to Charles.
Speaker 2: That's not that surprising to me. If it's the bridge that I'm thinking of, it's a pretty high bridge, and it would be a site where I would think that people would possibly choose to end their own lives, or potentially if somebody was murdered and somebody wanted to make a quick disposal of a body like what was described in the note, pretty much right, If the body is in the lake and it's close to the bridge, then we could deduce that the body was likely, potentially Charles's body was thrown off of the bridge. So it wouldn't surprise me. It's sort of like the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, how so many people choose to end their own lives there. If you see bodies by a bridge, it's not all that surprising. I mean, if you came up with six bodies or something like that, it might be like WHOA. But I don't know, I don't really find it all that odd or atypical. Just when I'm picturing the bridge in my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're absolutely correct, because obviously this was nineteen ninety two when DNA was still in infancy, so they had to use Charles's dental records, and it turned out the body was not him. It actually belonged to a man named John Edgar Dixon, a resident of Colonna, who had gone missing in May of nineteen eighty five when he was sixty four years old, and he went missing after escaping from a psychiatric institution, and the authorities determined that his death was probably a suicide. They saw no outward signs of foul play, but they just found it weird that Denise got two sets of notes telling her to look on the other side of the bridge and lo and behold, they wind up finding another body. So Denise wondered, maybe, like if this person might have had knowledge of Dixon's suicide or disappearance and was trying to do like a weird subterfuge to get him to look for his body, or if it was just nothing more than an odd coincidence, because, like you said, some bridges people like to jump off them for suicides, So maybe the person who write the note just had no idea that this other body was going to be there.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm refresh my memory. What year is this that they're doing the search?
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety two?
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety two, okay, so this would have been seven years after Dixon went missing.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 2: So if this person who is writing the note, would they really wait seven years? Is that the way that you're going to go about doing it? Wouldn't you just write an anonymous note? Would it need to be connected to Charles? Perhaps you could have just written a note about Dixon and said something to make them search that area. I don't know why you would wait and why the timeline would be so protracted. So I'm personally more inclined to believe that is somebody that does have inside knowledge about what happened to Charles. And just because the lake is vast, it's a big lake, and so I think that it's pretty easy to miss a body, and things happen when a body decomposes over time, So there's no guarantee that where that body dropped into the lake is where that body would be recovered. So I don't know what's going on here, but I am inclined to believe that this is somebody who potentially genuinely has knowledge about what happened to charl Arles and feels guilty on some level because they're giving multiple tips to authorities and when they did their first initial search saying like no, like, you're not in the right place. So I think that the body likely could have been there at some point, but searchers missed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do agree. This is a very large lake. So even if Charles did go off the bridge at some point, it had been three years since he was last confirmed to be alive, so easily could have floated elsewhere. And I'm always struck by the fact that the person who wrote the anonymous notes specifically put the correct date when Charles was last confirmed to be alive, made the twenty sixth I mean, you can't say that they say with one hundred percent certainty that they had inside knowledge because at the time Charles's disappearance was getting a lot of coverage in the newspapers, which would have printed the date he was last seen. And also the fact that Denise had appeared on the local news and had specifically said that she set up a missing person's headquarters at this motel. So even someone who was just trying to do a mean spirited, practical joke, would probably know that Denise was there, So that doesn't necessarily mean that they knew something about Charles's disappearance, but it is pretty compelling because this was when he was last seen Made the twenty six, nineteen eighty nine, and he was last seen staying at a campground that was known for having some rough characters, so it is possible he could have attended a party and been killed. I know that they spoke to Phil Flett, who was the owner of the campground, who still had Charles's some of his personal items in his possession years later, and claimed that he disposed of most of them after Charles's disappeared, and he denied any knowledge about a party or an incident where anyone was killed on the evening of May the twenty six, nineteen eighty nine. But of course, even if he is telling the truth, something still could have happened without his knowledge when he wasn't there.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I personally don't think that the letter writing or the note was a cruel prank. I would think like if you were just going to you a prank, you would prank them like the one time and say like, oh, the body's in the lake, and then they search it and it's like, oh haha. I mean, I don't know who would find that funny, but I know that there are people out there who do that. But the tone of it seems to be more serious in nature. And so if it was somebody just looking to insert themselves into the investigation, we would likely know who they are because they would want the attention, which we often see in cases. But here this is somebody who is anonymous, and it doesn't seem like it's something so fantastical. It seems believable. So maybe they didn't have inside knowledge, Maybe they had second hand knowledge. Maybe it was just somebody had said to them like, oh my gosh, I witnessed what happened to Charles. He was you know, he died at this party and he was thrown off of the bridge. And then this person had this knowledge and it was eating away at them. So they had to do something to intervene, and so that was telling law enforcement to search, and so they were obviously frustrated, if this is the case, frustrated with the first search knowing that Charles's body wasn't discovered, So they're giving even more specificity when they're saying the actual area of the bridge and that they were wrong where they were searching. So I don't know, it's just something about it seems like it's genuine to me. What do you think, Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that you're correct that if it was just a joke, they would have written one note and not bother with a second. But that says to me that they were probably watching the search effort took place and just wanted to direct them to the other side of the bridge. And if they do have inside knowledge, then that tells me that they probably personally witnessed Charles get thrown off the bridge, rather than just hearing about it secondhand, because unless they were there, how would they know which side of the bridge that he was tossed off?
Speaker 2: I mean, unless somebody was like very specific with the story that they told. But I think if somebody's telling you secondhand information about what they witnessed, you're less likely to feel the emotional weight of that. But if you yourself witness something, or maybe you knew the person, then I think that that really could weigh heavily. But if it's just some stranger it might be more abstract and you'd be less likely to need to tell law enforcement the details that you know. And I know that would vary depending on the individual and how empathetic they are and how much guilt they're going to feel by knowing something like that. Are they able to compartmentalize? I don't know, but it just it feels real to me, and so I just think, knowing how big this lake is, that it is so possible that his body is there, that it was there, and that it just wasn't found.
Speaker 1: That makes sense to me because Charles's disappearance to not get any publicity in nineteen eighty nine when it originally happened, and was finally getting all this media attention in nineteen ninety two, So of course, so it makes sense that they had a guilty conscience that they would wait that much time in order to provide information, even though they didn't want to out themselves and reveal who they were. But once again, this whole incident did not paint the RCNP in a flattering light because when they first found the body, they were inclined to believe that it was Charles and actually told Denise that, and she was left so devastated that she had to be hospitalized, and the police convinced her to commit herself into a hospital, but she did not even realize until afterwards that they had convinced her to check into a psychiatric ward. And before the body was even identified, the coroner kept trying to pressure Denise into signing a death certificate for Charles because they were just so certain it was going to turn out to be him that even some of the local media outlets were saying that Charles had been found, But of course it turned out to be John Edward Dixon, So they pretty much just put Denise through all this distress for nothing. It almost seemed like they were trying to push forward their narrative that this was a suicide, that Charles had jumped off the bridge into the water himself could finally close the case, but of course when it turned out not to be him, it only made them look even worse than they did before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like they're more concerned with managing public perception than they actually are with discovering what happened to Charles, and therein lies the problem. I'm sure that the RCNP and all the people who likely were working at that time have turned over and that it's a new culture, and I can only hope that they're much more involved when it comes to missing persons, because I think we just saw a general trend in the eighties and nineties where they didn't take missing persons nearly as serious as they do today. So part of it is just the passage of time helps with that. And it's also still a challenge when you have somebody who is from a foreign country who goes missing in another country, and we talked about this before, is law enforcement going to prioritize looking for that person with the same fervor that they would somebody who is like a naturalized citizen or like born in that country. So a Canadian who's missing versus you see British.
Speaker 1: He's technically was born in Canada, but he spent most of his life being raised in England, Okay.
Speaker 2: So it becomes more complex for Denie trying to search because there aren't any family members who are local. So it is like, you know, the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, and it becomes rather difficult to advocate when you are trying to do so from another country, and so you only have a limited amount of resources in law enforcement, and you're going to allocate those resources where you feel they're needed, and where they're needed or they're perceived to be needed, is where the most noise is being made. So it just becomes this almost fruitless endeavor because if there's nobody advocating for somebody missing or murdered, will they get that attention? And I know you and I have talked to Ashley about this because she'd worked at a police department, and I think doing victim's advocate stuff, is that what she was doing? I think so, yeah, yeah, And I believe that the people that made the most fuss were the ones that got the most results, and that shouldn't be that way. It should be all equal. But that is the reality of the investigation. And I think that pretty much goes he doesn't really that transcends country, I'm sure, and is most police departments, our CMP, whatever agency is handling a case. It's what type of pressure is coming from the family and what type of pressure is coming from the public.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much it is. Because they didn't do any movement on this case until Denise started putting a bunch of public pressure on it. Because they really didn't have a lot to work with. At first. All they had was a date when Charles cash to paycheck made the twenty six, nineteen eighty nine, which was the end of the paper trail for him. But we didn't have a spot that he went missing from, We didn't have any evidence of foul play, and because he was on a backpacking trick, they just could not disprove the idea that maybe he just wanted to keep traveling and break off all contact with his family. But here we are years later and all the pieces of the puzzle to coming together, because shortly after all his news about the anonymous note came out, Denise's contacted by a man named Gino Boardine, who had been staying at the Tiny Town campground with his son in May of nineteen eighty nine and actually befriended Charles shortly before he went missing. He described Charles as a very friendly man who made friends with people very easily, but also thought that he seemed a bit nighiven trusting, which is why he felt there is a possibility that he could have cross passed with the wrong person at the campground and had something bad happen to him. And Gino confirmed that the last time he saw Charles was on the same night as an all night party took place at the campground, and the following morning, when Gino woke up, he discovered that Charles's tent and his personal belongings were still there, but Charles himself was nowhere to be found. And if Gino's recollection was accurate, we're hearing about a party taking place in Charles going missing. This could lend credence to the note that something bad happened to them and they responded by disposing of his body.
Speaker 2: This is just feeling like it is the most likely scenario, and refresh my memory on the exact details of what was said to be this potential sighting of Charles. So both of us thought was likely a big mistake that it was the one that was in the club, right.
Speaker 1: There were two of them. One of them was a woman named Joey and Zebrov who had stayed at her apartment for a few days in Colonna and said that at the end of May of nineteen eighty nine, Charles came to her apartment tried to speak to her on the intercom, but she couldn't invite him up because her brother was visiting for a family reunion and they had just too much going on, and sheeva certain this took place sometime in May, which makes sense. But the police looked into the background of the brother found out that he took time off from work to visit Colonna in July, so they believed that the sighting actually took place in July, two months after Charles went missing, even though joe Anne was certain that it was in May, which would make more sense because why would Charles abandon all his possessions at the campground, disappear for two months, and then show up at Joanne's apartment in July. And then the second sighting was at a nightclub where Joanne thought she saw Charles from a distance and waved at him and he waved back. But I'm inclined to believe that she saw someone who looked like him because she didn't actually make contact. It was just a wave in the background in any dark, noisy place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the club sighting, it could have been anybody. It's so hard to see somebody and to accurately be able to unless they're right in front of your face, to know that it is indeed that person. It's dark it's really dim. I mean you basically see outlines and to correctly identify somebody I don't know. I think Joanne likely was mistaken with the club sighting because how would Charles have been living, how would he have any resources. We know that he wasn't showing up for work, we know he didn't have any of his belongings, So to believe that he would just randomly be at this club, and then that other sighting where Joanne was saying may and it was law enforcement that looked into it and was like woll by process of deduction, it had to have been July when the brother was visiting, and when Joanne had seen Charles last, which it could have just been that somehow Joanne was conflating the two timelines when she was thinking back and thinking her brother was there, or maybe her brother just stopped by for a quick visit. I think to assume that Joanne was wrong with her timeline just because that's when the brother took time off work is a pretty big assumption.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree. I think. I know eyewitnesses can be mistaken a lot, but I think that there's not going to be a two month discrepancy of when you remember that a family member is going to visit. And like we said, it just makes no sense that Charles would just disappear for two months without his possessions, because not only did he leave his tent and his clothing behind, he left behind a stash of family photographs and his passport and stuff like He's just not going to abandon that at the campground and then just go living as a transient for two months. So it does make more sense that he paid a visit to her apartment sometime in May, and then we had this party that took place at the campground and that something bad may have happened and the responsible party disposed of Charles's body. But since you mentioned the nightclub siding in two thousand and three, there would be a very weird development because the Okanagan Crime Stoppers TV show did a segment about Charles's case in which they displayed a photograph of a middle aged, gray haired man who was apparently named Bill, and he had allegedly been seen with Charles at the nightclub in Kelowna in August of nineteen eighty nine. They didn't really go into information about how exactly they received this photograph but apparently they didn't know Bill's identity, so they displayed the photo on screen, hoping that someone would that Bill himself would come forward, or someone would recognize him, and then they could track him down and question him about Charles. I don't think they ever found him. I have read on a blog that the RCP eventually found out who Bill was and learned that he was from Edmonton, Alberta, but had passed away, so they never got the opportunity to question him about Charles's case. But I kind of wish we had more details about this because we're both inclined to believe that the nightclub sighting is false. But apparently this guy named Bill had been seen with Charles at the nightclub and thought he would have vile information about the case. But it sounds like this is just probably nothing more than a red herring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because I'm less inclined to believe that that nightclub sighting is accurate, I'm more inclined to believe that this whole Bill connection and everything associated with it is likely a red herring.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking. But there is one more lead involving Bill, so he just will not go away. It involves a guy named Tony Gallup. In May of two thousand and one, he actually got charged and convicted of the abduction, sexual assault, and murder of a five year old girl named Jessic Coopman's. This took place in Lethbridge, Alberta, but back in nineteen eighty nine, Gallup was living in Cologna, and during Denise's investigation, she found out that Charles had briefly befriended him Adam Marina somewhere and spent some time hanging out with him, and Denise evens met Gallup personally and spoke with them in nineteen ninety two, long after he got charged with the murder of this five year old girl. They never found any evidence to indicate that Gallup was personally involved in Charles's disappearance, but he apparently told investigators that he once saw Charles go out on a boat trip with an unidentified gray haired man, and apparently they were looking into the possibility that this man could have been built because he also had gray hair, and they never figured it out. So I don't believe Tony Gallup had any involvement in Charles's disappearance because sexually assaulting and murdering a five year old girl is a lot different than doing the same thing to a twenty year old male, and it might just be a coincidence that he wound up being connected to these two separate cases. But once again, we have this lead about Charles being seed with an unidentified gray haired man, and you have to wonder does this have any significance or did he just cross pass with someone and then something else happened to him afterwards.
Speaker 2: This is feeling like very fugitive, one armed man coded, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. Yeah, the mysterious bill. Does he have anything with it?
Speaker 2: I know it's very odd. I don't know, it seems odd, but it seems very strange. But like you said, the type of offender that is going to victimize a five year old girl versus like a grown man are typically two different offender profiles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So it could be possible that Charles cross paths with this guy, he hung out with them, and is just a coincidence, Like they just didn't know that this guy would be involved in the murder of another girl that happened many years later. But yeah, even if Charles was legitimately seen with a gray haired man. That doesn't have necessarily mean this person had anything to do with his disappearance, because Charles was described as such a likable, friendly guy that he could befriend strangers really easily. So it's reasonable to assume that during his time in Colonna he could have briefly been friends with some gray haired man, but then they went their separate ways and it has nothing to do with the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, since you shared that early on that Charles had a way of like that he had first initially started staying at the mission, but he had people that he would meet along the way and they would invite him to stay in their homes. And I think that just speaks to what like a outgoing and kind person that Charles was, and that he had a certain level of charisma and that he charmed people enough to have them like we know that he didn't mean any you know, he didn't, he wasn't malicious in any way, but to have people drop their guards and to say come into my home, come stay with me, that is such a vulnerable position to be in. So it just speaks to the type of person that Charles was. So did he have a friend with gray hair? It is possible. I'm sure he had a lot of friends while he was in Colona.
Speaker 1: It's true. It is kind of crazy to see that he was only in Coloonna for about a month before he went missing. Yet there were so many people who came forward to say that they interacted with him and say nothing but good things about him. But I just that just kind of speaks to his personality. So the case got featured on Unsolved Mysteries in nineteen ninety four and they were hoping that if there was a chance that Charles was still alive out there somewhere, he would come forward or someone would know where he is. But unfortunately this did not materialize, and over the next three decades, Denise would make no less than fifteen trips from England to Canada to search for Charles. But this came a great personal expense to herself because she had owned a hair and beauty salon in England, but she was forced to sell it after she retired, and she also had to refinance the mortgage on her home until she ultimately wound up losing it. So wound up taking such a great emotional and financial toll on her, but she just had the mindset that until I find out what happened to my son, I'm not going to give up, and would just make these trips I think until like the late twenty ten. So she was doing it for nearly thirty straight years until she finally reached the age into her seventies where she said, I just cannot handle this mentally, physically, or financially anymore.
Speaker 2: That's really sad. It's just a sad case overall because for Denise, Alan Charles was your only child, right, yeah, exactly, she was so to have that happen, and to have your baby be in another country, to be so far away, to be advocating, and to be pushing up against the RCMP trying to get results. I can only imagine how much of a toll that would take on Denise, and just you're going in circles and there's no way that you can close that loop until you find out what happened to your baby, and so over time that would just be so mentally, physically, spiritually taxing on a person. You're friends with, Denise, right, like you know Denise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not too well, but I am Facebook friends with her and a community with communicated with her a few times about this case. And I mean, if I had gotten to meet her something like ten to fifteen years ago, she probably like would have been more active and been doing more interviews on podcasts. But she's now seventy seven years old and has pretty much reached the point where it's just too much of a toil on her to keep making these trips and keep doing interviews about her missing son.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get that, and I can respect that, And I respect whatever path family members choose to take, whether it's one of doing less or one of doing more, because everybody does what they're capable of doing given the amount of grief that surrounds a missing loved one. So to do what Denise did for so many years into an advanced age, I mean, and she's seventy seven now, but like all of those years advocating for Charles, I just I really commend her for having the commitment and the wherewithal to be able to plow through such emotionally arduous territory.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and if it wasn't for her, we wouldn't even know about this case because the RCNP was not inclined to perform an investigation, and it was not until she started making these eleven twelve hour flights from England and going to the media and doing her own independent searches that people started hearing about this case. What was also rough for Denise is that she kept getting like false hope and uncovering new leads which made her think that she might eventually get a resolution. She made a trip to British Columbia in twenty fifteen in which she told the me this was going to be her final trip because she just couldn't handle it financially and emotionally anymore. But then she started getting new developments and new tips and decided to keep returning to British Columbia to look into them. Her final clip trip to Colowna took place in twenty eighteen because she was contacted by a person who had once been engaged to a former resident of the Tinytown campground, and this resident allegedly claimed that they overheard an incriminating conversation in the showers about how Charles had been killed and his remains were dumped into the septic tank at the Tinytown Campground. So Denise traveled back to Colowna tried to find this person. She was unable to find the individual who allegedly said this, but she did track down this person's fother but he was not helpful at all. He wouldn't tell her anything and specifically stated quote that it wasn't worth his own life. So it sounds like there was some sort of cover up that still had people in fear, even though this tip came by nearly thirty years after Charles went missing, and Denise actually contacted the RCNP to see if they could check this septic tank and maybe look for DNA to see if there was anything that belonged to Charles or if his remains might still be in there. But unfortunately this is still never occurred.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what case it is. It was a lot of years ago. I remember watching maybe it was on like Investigation Discovery or something, and a body was found in a septic tank and it was like fairly well preserved, all everything was there. It's sort of like encasing a body in concrete that you're going to have all of the bones are going to remain, everything is going to be there. So I don't know if that's necessarily the best place to dispose of a body, because it would be pretty easy to recover if you have the right tip and law enforcement that's willing to search. But if you're looking at people like from what we've had described of the residents of the Tiny Town campground and how evil it is, we can only imagine that there's a lot of drug use in partying and those type of activities happening, especially if we're to go on like what the tip was with what happened to Charles is likely due to people partying, drinking, potentially doing drugs. So those people don't always make the smartest decisions when it comes to a lot of things, but particularly body disposal. You would think what is going to be the quickest and easiest, and if you've got to access to a septic tank, that might seem like a good option. But I would also think that throwing a body over a bridge might seem like a better option because it's farther away, if you've got access to a vehicle to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously, these two who tips contradict each other, though I guess it is possible that they could have temporarily put him in a septic tank at first and then dumped his body into the river. I don't know if that this is the case you're thinking of, But there is a fairly famous case from Canada about an unidentified John Doe who was found in a septic tank in Alberta during the nineteen seventies and earned the nickname septic tank Sam. But thank lease, yes that's the one that's probably it. They have thankfully identified him as real name is Gordon Sanderson, because that's a pretty demeaning name for an unidentified deceded. So I'm glad he got his identity back. But I mean, it is possible that maybe Charles remains weren't there at some point. But it makes me wonder though, like would this campground still even have the same septic tank after thirty years? So I don't know if police looked into this and found out that maybe they had changed septic tanks a long time ago. So even if they tracked it down, it wouldn't be of any use to search for Charles's DNA if it's a completely different tank. So another rumor that Denise heard is that Charles may have been murdered by members of the Hells Angels biker gang. As in May of nineteen eighty nine, a total of seventy five bikers had traveled from the United States to Falkland, British Columbia in order to attend the Falkland Stampede rodeo, and Falkland is located about ninety kilometers away from Colowna, so if the bikers traveled there from the States, they could have stopped at the tiny town campground, and there were rumors that they were there, though I don't think it's been one hundred percent confirmed, but she apparently heard the allegations that Charles may have been killed by a member of the gang who was trying to earn his patch, and it was some sort of initiation. Of course, it's nothing but rumors, but I know that Gino Bourdin described Charles as being rather naive and trusting. So if he befriended a biker gang there at the campground and they invited him to a party, it's entirely possible that they just decided to kill him for the fun of it as some sort of initiation before they disposed of his body and then left town.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what year it's been there since, but there is a Hell's Angels clubhouse in Kolonna.
Speaker 1: Oh, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are there are members that live in Kolona, Like, so I don't know if that is like a thing that happened post you know, nineteen ninety two or ninety three, but currently yes, and for you know, since as long as I've known, like you know, the early two thousands, yes, but in the nineties not one hundred percent. So I mean it is possible. Anything is possible with this case because we just we know so little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I find this whole theory believable because it has been confirmed there was a party at the campground right before Charles went missing, so for all we know, it could have been held by biker gangs. But of course they were saying there are like seventy seventy five members of the gang, and I believe that if all of them were complicit, I think it probably would have come out by now. So it seems more logical to me that if Charles was killed at a party, it was an incident that only had maybe a handful of people, and one of them might have been the anonymous writer of the note that Denise received.
Speaker 2: But I will say, though, if you do have seventy five members of any type of gang, it's possible that, especially if they're all patched members. I would think that there would be a certain code of silence, So it wouldn't surprise me or shock me if that information didn't come to light, because talking about those types of things with people that aren't associated with you like that would be incredibly frowned upon. And so even if they have a different lifestyle now, I would just think that the type of people that they would be recruiting wouldn't be the type that would be so chatty. But I'm less inclined to believe this theory and more inclined to believe that it was likely just other residents at the chiny Town campground.
Speaker 1: That is true, because the bikers were just passing through and eventually went back to the United States supposedly. And the fact that this note was sent to Denise three years after the fact, while she was staying in a motel that was directly across the street from the campground makes me think that it was probably a local residence who was still there after all those years and really wanted to get something off their chest. But there is kind of a happy side story around this whole affair. I know that in twenty seventeen, Denise appeared on the TV show Britain's Got Talent as a member of a group called the Missing People Choir, which was comprised of family members of British people who had had loved ones gone missing. And the choir was led by Peter Lawrence, who was the father of Claudia Lawrence. And if I recall correctly, you covered that case on Riddle Me that right, I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that case is always really really like confounded me. I don't know what happened, and we've got such a small amount of information with that case. But yeah, her father has been an amazing advocate for Claudia.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately he has passed away in recent years, but he was a great advocate. And that's cited as an example where there's just been so much focus on the victim's personal life and how promiscuous she allegedly was and how she may have been killed because of some of her romances. But because we can't separate the rumors from the facts, there are no solid suspects.
Speaker 2: That case is heartbreaking because it's just seeped with misogyny and slutshaming. It was horrible because the public really turned on Claudia once they figured out that she had these romantic entanglements and some of the men were potentially married and whatnot. They seem less inclined to want to find out what happened to her and more inclined to put a label on her and to blame her for whatever could have befallen her, which I think is such a travesty because regardless of what a victim sex life is, they don't deserve what happened to them. And at the end of the day, who is responsible for stepping out on a marriage If that is the case, it is the man who was entered into a legal contract with his wife. It isn't Claudia's responsibility. So that case, I can only imagine what her family had to go through having to read like the British press is relentless, Like we live in Canada and our press is nothing like it is there. It's just so salacious there, the way that things are written and like so click.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I researched that one for the trail went cold several years ago and had to look through some of the British tabloids, and some of the coverage was pretty terrible. But I am glad that Peter Lawrence and Denise Allen became friends because they had very frustrating times trying to find their missing children. But the happy part about this story is that when the Missing People's Choir performed on Britain's Got Talent, they showed the photographs of all the missing victims, including Claudie and Charles in the background, and shortly after the episode aired, one of the missing victims who was displayed on the photograph, who was thirteen years old when he disappeared, actually got in contact with the authorities because he turned out to be alive the whole time. He saw himself on TV and said that, oh that's me from many years ago, contacted the authorities and came forward to confirm that he was still out there. So Britain's Got Talent inadvertently led to the resolution of one of the missing persons cases that they featured.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is something I had no idea that Britain's Kalen had quite that kind of an impact on something that goes beyond what is so frivolous as like, you know, a talent show on TV, but to actually be doing work, to be identifying missing people, that's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was pretty unexpected because I think there was no expectation that any of the missing victims displayed on screen were still alive after all these years. So one of the more unexpected examples I've ever find of media outlets solving an unsolved gold case. So yeah, like I said, Denise has pretty much stopped making the trips to British Columbia to search for Charles. She's currently seventy seven years old. She still posts on social media frequently to spread awareness about Charles's case, and has always said, unfortunately that her greatest fear is that she will leave this world without ever finding the truth about what happened to her son. And I do hope that, even though it seems to be a given at this point that Charles is deceased, I do hope that maybe one of these days the right person will come forward and provide the full story about what happened to them and maybe lead to the recovery of his remains. But personally, I am inclined to believe there is truth to the anonymous note that Charles got into some sort of confrontation at a party and the people who were responsible just disposed of his body by throwing me into the river, and for all we know, it may still be there, but it's in an entirely different location away from the bridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I believe happened. And I just I wish for Denise that one thing could happen for her, that she could find out what happened to Charles, but at the very least that they could recover Charles's remains so that she would have the ability to lay him to rest however she saw fit. Because she's seventy seven now, and I don't know how. I mean, Denise could live till she's a hundred. We don't know how long she's going to live, but I would love for her to be able to be reunited with her son in that capacity before she transcends and crosses you over from this earthly plane into whatever lies beyond. Because no mother should ever have to pass away without knowing where their child is. That is just one of the most unfair things in life.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. And it was actually not until twenty twenty where she actually got the High Court of the United Kingdom to finally declare Charles legally deceased so she could settle his financial affairs. But I do know that her plan is is that if his remains are recovered, she hopes to bring them back to the United Kingdom and give her him a proper burial in the same cemetery alongside some of his family members. So I do hope that she does get a resolution at some point. So any final thoughts on the disappearance of Charles horbat This.
Speaker 2: Case was really interesting, and especially because it was like a homegrown case for me. It's really only forty five minutes from where I grew up, and it was a case I didn't know about, and being familiar with the bodies of water on the general areas of all of these where all of these events transpired is a rarity. So thank you very much for sharing the details with me.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. I was looking forward to discussing a case from your home turf of British Columbia. So that about brings an end to our series about the disappearance of Charles Horvath. Thank you so much for your support, and we'll be back next week to talk about another case.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier free the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 2: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jules and Nashty patreons so there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass Call for warm clothing
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy