Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: It is seven oh five here at Kentucky and it's morning news on news radio eight forty WHAS Nick Coffee with you, Scott Fitzgerald. You just heard John Shannon and of course John Alden alongside the crew is here. We are all present, and we want to make sure you give a roll call every now and then just to you know, let everybody know we're here. We're present. I also want you guys to know you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the out radio app. Also listen live at WHAS dot com. And I think if you are a resident of the Bargetown Road area near where all the Shenanigans have taken place in the last couple of weeks, or if you are a business owner, you want to wait and see if in fact there's progress made. But I think there's early signs of potential progress. We do have at least one business that has decided that they will they're going to go ahead and start closing two hours earlier, So Highland Taphouse is going to close at two am now instead of four am. Moving forward, and our partner over at woky Addie Minors, she talked to some of the residents and here are their thoughts on just the current situation. As obviously this has been a big story in the last last few days. You know, people go out and have a good time till two or maybe four am. Now it's more of a contest of what can we get away with right how crazy can it get.
Speaker 2: You've got to have the local leadership involved.
Speaker 3: You've got to make sure they're on board with it, and you've got to make sure that they're all on the same page as the residents and the business owners.
Speaker 2: I think these are steps in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Highland tap Room, that's great they start closing it too.
Speaker 4: I think will be even better if everyone else started closing it too. You'll move the noise earlier. Instead of being three or four in the morning, it'll be two in the morning. But in general, it's probably a better idea to close the bars earlier, just because people have a little less time to drink and it'll be less of a problem at two than four.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Both may Or Greenberg and Chief Paul Humphreys did speak publicly again about this issue today. Chief Paul Humphrey said that LMPD will once again this weekend have a larger police presence on Bardstown Road, and they will be enforcing the law. They'll be towing cars, is issuing tickets, and arresting anyone that's not complying with the law.
Speaker 1: So last night Mary Greenberg released a statement on social media saying that inspectors from the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness made a visit to Friends who Can Lounge on Bargetown Road, and they were able to determine that business was operating with an expired license. So they've been ordered to remain closed until this is resolved. So you've got one bar that had stepped up. Maybe you just need one to get others to follow along and say, all right, we'll also close our doors earlier. And then now you've got at least one. And I have no clue really which specific business, And it wouldn't be fair to blame what has been going on in the last couple of weeks on any of these specific businesses individually. I'm sure maybe there are some things they could do better, but also I'm sure some of them feel helpless, and I'm sure there's many of them that don't want anything close to what's been going on, because not only is it not needed, not necessary, it can only prevent more people from wanting to come and give those businesses business. So again we've got one bar closing down and one that has been shut down for the time being because they did not have the right license. You got to think if you were operating with the hopes that you can fly under the radar without a valid liquor license or whatever is needed to be open, you had to know they were going to come. Look, and just given how much attention this thing has gotten in the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: You know, it makes me wonder, Nick, how many other places in the city, not just Barstown Road, are running about the liquor licenses? And what makes you do you ever read the restaurant or not the restaurant, but when the health Department goes into different restaurants, Oh yeah, you read those when they come out.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I don't want to, but I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's weird.
Speaker 3: And so you wonder how many other restaurants are doing that in along the same lines, how many other folks Barston Rose getting the attention right now because she's lightning right and rightfully so, because the people aren't riding in other places. But it does make you wonder how many other people are flying.
Speaker 1: Under the right well, and you've got to think that you know if if in fact me so, if you've been to a restaurant, a bar, a gas station, wherever you can purchase alcohol, whether it's you're going to take it home or you're gonna buy at the bar, you're gonna get it at the table while you're eating dinner, you can always sense when there's more of a real strict awareness of ID and that means they probably got cited for something. They probably weren't following rules, so they keep up with it as best they can. But as far as just I mean, that's it's one thing to maybe just assume somebody was of age and you didn't check and they weren't, or maybe you didn't realize there was somebody there just to test you, to see if you were going to be if you were going to actually ID someone, but to operate with a license that is clearly I mean, I feel like the resources they have, I mean, if you if you're if you've if you're open for business and your license is not up to date, they're gonna know I mean, I wouldn't. I certainly wouldn't, wouldn't risk it, but you know some people, some people do. But yeah, four am being the closing time for a lot of bars in the area. And I'm not knocking anybody who enjoys the night life. I mean, I would hope those would go out and be responsible and have a good time in a safe manner and you know, don't be a criminal that kind of stuff. But knowing that I now get up a lot earlier than bars stay open, it's been a real it's really stood out in the last couple of days that this is absolutely a lifestyle change for me. But hey, so far, so good. It's a lot of fun. And yeah, you're maturing. I'm an early roser. Now, yeah, maturing. I don't know, do we have to.
Speaker 2: Just some as you don't turn into a They told me.
Speaker 1: I didn't have to mature on this show.
Speaker 2: I kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, all right, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way, and we hope you stick around. Right here, it's seven cent a Kentucky. It's Morning News on news radio eight forty whas seven fifteen here at Kentucky at It's Morning News. On news radio eight forty w h as. I'm someone who enjoys fast food, just like most people probably do. I know not everyone does. Some people say they don't, but they're liars. Some people just know that it's tasty, but they don't need it because they're really healthy. Which reminds me of our conversation earlier this week. We're talking about snacking and you know, eating things and drinking things that maybe aren't great for us, and I referenced, you know, too many have to limit the bush like consumption now that I got to go to bed a lot. Earlier, John was talking about eating Dorito's and Scott mentioned his his his weakness. His midnight snack is watermelon. I mean that's weekends, it's chocolate.
Speaker 2: I sucked.
Speaker 1: Half the reason I bring this up is because McDonald's and I like McDonald's. I don't eat it a whole lot. When I do, it's pretty pretty damn good if I'm being honest with you. But I stick with just a double cheeseburger. That's my go to. But I know a lot of folks right now are pumped because McDonald's announced they're going to bring back an item permanently that I guess has been away for quite some time. The snack wrap is going to be back on the menu starting July tenth, and it was last available in twenty sixteen, and it now comes in spicy and ranch flavors with new mccrispy strips. This decision, of course, it was it was very much approved by those that are big McDonald's crunch trap fans. And it reminds me, by the way, have you guys had one of those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I one, Yeah, I haven't. I'm sure it's tap, I'm sure it's fine, but you know, I'm very I have the palette of a toddler. I like what I like, cheeseburgers, chicken wings, pizza, you know, when it comes to those kind of when it comes to fast food, there's not many places where I've got a diverse selection. I'm usually, you know, I know exactly what I'm gonna get, But there are food items that maybe these these industry, these these franchises, they never realized We're going to be so popular, or maybe they didn't realize they were going to be missed so much. But I mean, I remember when the MG rib went away. I don't know anybody pre McRib being gone. That was big McRib fan. I knew what it was. They took it away, and it was can you believe they got rid of the McRib and they brought it back. Is there any fast food item that you you miss that you wish was still around? I'll say ster watermelon guy.
Speaker 2: Was thinking about it.
Speaker 6: You're you're talking McDonald's. They've only had these, I believe, once, and I don't know if they've ever brought them back. But they did their own version of spicy chicken McNuggets a couple of years ago. And I'm not a big McNugget guy in general, but I tried the spicy ones and I went back two or three different times for a second or third order of them on different days.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they'll ever bring them back by the McDonald's, Yeah, they had them.
Speaker 1: I know Wendy's they have spicy chicken nuggets and they were discontinued in twenty seventeen. People rided in the streets until they brought them back in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Speaking of that, do you guys ever go get like like nostalgia? For for example, I was at the store last night and they had the Doritos. This isn't fast food, but they had the Dorito's taco flavor in the old school packaging, which I just inhaled as a kid, and I was right there wanting to pick up a bag for the weekend. But over the weekend I did buy Fego's Big Up in Michigan. Pego Redpop is amazing and it's kind of like Big Red here, same different, different few but it was Fago.
Speaker 1: So it was the last time you had the Taco bell got or the Taco Doritos. I got to ask, oh Man, probably talking like many years.
Speaker 2: A long time ago, dude, since I was.
Speaker 1: A kid, I want you to get them.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 1: I'll give it because what I want to see is are they as good as you? Remember?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 2: Is it more?
Speaker 1: You just you just don't because I'll admit I was a big fan of the chicken fries at Burger King. They were briefly around and they were like the perfect spice. I mean, it was like you were eating French fries, but they were chicken Wichigan, hence why they call them chicken fries. They discontinued him in twenty twelve, and I was bummed, and they brought them back permanently in twenty fourteen, and they were fine. I enjoyed them, but I think it was the intrigue of you know, they were good, and I don't think they changed them, but it was the knowing I may never have them again that had me thinking, oh, those were the best thing ever. I'm so sad they're gone. So I'm just curious if you end up having the Doritos, will they You gotta keep us up thered this is still this is a story we're gonna follow here on news Radiot Forny whas did the taco flavored Doritos uphold the way they did for Scott Fitzgerald, The taste as good as they did many years ago.
Speaker 3: I'll posted social media and to your point, we have a few place back home that we used to go to as kids that we love.
Speaker 2: Purchase a big.
Speaker 3: Thing back home, and so many people have gone back to this place. It's still there, but they say it doesn't taste like it did because obviously they had to get rid of transfats.
Speaker 2: That was a good deal. So a lot of these foods are changing taste.
Speaker 1: Heck, if there's been a long time since you've made it. You may not even be able to get the same ingredient she used to.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, that's where it's going with that. So I'm going to try it. I'm going to take a look and see what they are. But nostalgic foods are amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, and I want to continue this conversation a little bit further coming up in the eight o'clock hour, because these are items that were really popular that everybody brought back. I mean, I think my wife camped out at Taco Bell when they brought back the Mexican pizza a couple of years ago. It was a big deal, was a big moment in the coffee household. She was very, very happy. She was happy once again and to have the Mexican pizza. But there's also a lot of menu items from these fast food places that you probably forgot about that were big failures, right, So I want to hit on that coming up in the eight o'clock hour, So stick around. It's Kentucky and His Morning News. It is seven twenty. Your next update on te Avagan weather coming up right here right now on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is seven thirty five here at Kentucky and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas it could just be me, but I feel like seeing that new episodes of Jeopardy and Will of Fortune set to just stream only for the first time is a big is a big step in pretty much everything is going to eventually be exclusively on streaming. I mean, maybe I'm wrong here because those when I think of just randomly throwing on something that is on live television, I think of local news sports. Obviously that's really the only thing I watch consistently that is live. Anything else I just watch on demand, whether it be YouTube TV or anything on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and whatnot. And I know I'm not alone. We've made a big, big push to the streaming world in the last ten plus years. But like Jeopardy and Will of Fortune, I feel like those are two of the rare type of programs that would still have a good audience for folks who watched that live. But you can still watch it live, but some of them are going to be just streaming exclusively, which I mean, it doesn't it doesn't it feel like a big sun because those are those are shows that have been around for a long, long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And that's what I used to do a lot of antony and I had this conversation. That's how I picked them on Reacher. I would picked them on full swing on Netflix. I think Netflix has hit it out of the park when it comes to sports documentaries.
Speaker 2: Totally agree, you know. And and then I.
Speaker 3: Don't watch much on regular TV, although I'm not home a lot now because I'm a bit more active. When I get home, I might watch an episode of Bob's Burgers or Three's Company, but I'll find it on demand on my Internet or on my cable provider.
Speaker 2: And and then I'm going to bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I think to watch something, if it's not sports, it's something that is not live and yeah, I can watch anytime and it's on one of those many platforms. I mean, there are shows that I would would consider some of my favorites that were lengthy, multiple seasons, that you really just binge. And I'm not sure if I would have stuck around if we were in the previous world where you you know, you know, let's say pre DVR, where you know, you can't just wait for it to build up in DVR. It you have to literally watch it every week and and and if not, you maybe need to get the VCR out and record it. I mean, that's that's way back in the day, but I'm sure many people remember that. Again, I like these shows, but I do wonder if if I would have stuck it out and I would have missed out, because they're really good. But I think consuming shows in a in a in a quick binge, it's a different experience than than watching a show where each week it's a different it's a you know, it's a different episode and you gotta wait a week to see the next one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're in this trend now where they'll release everything but the last episode so you can binge it all the way up and then have this premiere at the end. Let me ask you this. When it came to the NFL on Prime, did you watch that coverage?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah see.
Speaker 3: And I remember when they first announced, people like I'm not streaming this, and.
Speaker 1: Then NASCAR liars, right, they're liars.
Speaker 2: And then NASCAR now is on Prime. Prime bought into NASCAR now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, the reason that these streaming networks are paying unheard of money, money that I'm not even sure physically could exist if you had to go to a bank somewhere and get it out. I don't think it. I mean it's the money that they're paying to have exclusive rights for a Thursday night game on Amazon, for a Christmas Day game on Netflix with the NFL. It's because they realize the power the power of that right. There's not much content out there that people consume at a high level that is live, and sports is the monster has been for a long time. So they're going to get a return on that investment because maybe there will be some that do say, yeah, I used to just be able to turn on my television and watch the game. If I got to go download an app and sign up for this, and that I'm not doing it enough will, I mean it's be proven enough, will, and it'll be a profitable thing.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: And the three easiest people to market to are new parents, sports fans, and pet lovers yep, because they will spend money on anything.
Speaker 2: And so when you get to.
Speaker 1: A sports people know how to take advantage of that boom.
Speaker 3: And because I'm telling you right now, with the Tigers having the best record in baseball, now I throw my cell phone provider, I get MLB TV subscription for free, and this cell phone provider actually signed up for another three years because it's a deal breaker because people will come over and purchase that plan if they get that for free, And it makes me wonder. I don't think the NFL will ever do it because right now, Sunday ticket still is the cash cow.
Speaker 2: Sure, and it always will.
Speaker 3: Be because it's it's the machine that feeds the beast. But you know, you look at college football. Would you pay extra to your Cardinals fan? Would you pay extra to watch the Cardinals every week if they suddenly pulled them off regular TV?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't want to get into a bidding war, but I mean I wouldn't if in fact, there was a price that, you know, let's say I had let's say I had to pay nineteen ninety nine per week to watch the game. That would add up and I wouldn't like it, yep. But I'd be lying to you if I said I wouldn't do it, because I would want to watch my team. It's a big part of you know, of you know, in a sad way, it's a big part of my happiness.
Speaker 3: It's exactly, that's not a sad way, I came over to a new provider because they provide NHL Network, because I love watching the World Junior Tournament at Christmas.
Speaker 2: I sweech providers.
Speaker 1: Because you like what you like, and you'll you'll make you'll make changes because you know people are gonna they want to consume what they want to consume. Yeah, totally get if. Anyways, new new Jeopardy and Will of Fortunate episodes We're going to be on Peacock, Hulu and on Disney Plus. So big changes, but again not surprising by any means. Your next update of trafficking Weather's coming up right here on News Radio eight forty whas. It's seven forty five here Kentuckyates Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. We were discussing just how when it comes to consuming television movies, just content on your TV or really any device, it's it's now mostly the streaming platforms, and Scott had mentioned the Netflix sports documentaries and I'm a big fan of the Untold series. I think it's Netflix's version of the thirty for thirty that ESPN did and did so well. However, the one complaint that I think is legit. I've still been entertained by most of them, but they are a little bit more. I wouldn't call them puff pieces, but I think those that have agreed to be a part of them for Netflix, there's some level of an understanding that we're not going to make you look as bad as you might think if you'll, if you'll be a part of it. Well, Brett Farr was not a part of the one they did on him. Have you seen that one?
Speaker 2: That one and the one with the Jets. Mark Gaston I think was ahead of for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the one on Brett Farv in regards to just what happened with Gen Stater, Yeah, in the era, that was Brett Farve sending chaft shots and and you know the whole New York Giants situation, and then the Jets I'm sorry, and then of course the fraud situation that he's been involved in where he was accused of knowingly taking money that was supposed to go to welfare in Mississippi. And it was just fascinating to see that when you are a quarterback and you are you know, you just have that aura about you that people will want to refuse to believe that you could ever not be this guy that's just such a special, special person. And I wondered initially why Mike Vick was a part of it, the documentary, I mean, and it was just because he was there providing a perspective of when you have everything going your way and you're on top, people want to know you, they want to shake your hay, and they want to be around you. Influential people, people that you would maybe never think you'd have anything in common with if you're the quarterback with all the buzz, all the hype, and Michael Vick certainly had that during his early years in the NFL, and then of course it all came crashing down when he was involved in the in the dog fighting and whatnot. So he did provide a perspective of, how, you know, there's some people that you look at you in a way you didn't even realize, as far as just putting you on a pedestal. So the farv one was not a puff piece by any means, and it was, I mean, it was. It was well done, but not a great look for far of by any means. I'd recommend people check that out if they have they haven't. Just yet, We've got another update of sports coming with Scott before too long. However, he did mention earlier a big exhibition game that's come into the Young Center that should excite Louisville fans. However, this Kansas level exhibition game, it'll be a good test. But if you do end up prevailing and you find a way to win this exhibition, it may be one that you wish was a real game. In fact, you would wish it was a real game because that would be a real valuable resume win. In Louisville, going eighteen and two in the ACC last year and being an eight seed still doesn't seem real. But I think the ACC taking such a step back was the biggest factor in that. But anyhow, the value in this is just getting a chance to see where you stand before you actually have to play a real game. But it'll be on October twenty fifth, that's a Friday at the em Center. And this is new meaning that the NCAA used to not allow you to have these type of games, but they approved allowing teams to play up to two of these type of preseason exhibition games against any school that you want that is Division one team. In previous years, these exhibitions were approved through some type of a waiver process, and the proceeds from those games were donated to charity. Now they're just letting you do it. So as far as tickets and how you can how you watch it, I'm sure we'll get more details on that as as we move forward. But even if it's not a real game, Kansas coming to town, the Bill self fresh off a national championship just a couple of years ago, that's that's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 3: Dr top pick, by the way, top recruit in the class of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yep, and Bill self, I mean he's he's got two national championships. There aren't many. I think there's maybe three current coaches that can say they've got two titles that are actively coaching, Bill Self, Rick Patino and obviously Dan Hurley that won a couple of them, but they have taken a little bit of a step back in the last couple of years. But then again, a step back for Kansas is not necessary. I mean, it would be considered major success for just about anybody else, but yeah, for Pat Kelce, I'm sure these are the kind of games that that you're really you want to not only do you want them because it's a great team to play and it'll get you know, get it'll get fans excited. But you want to see where you stand, I mean playing Kansas before you actually have to play a game that counts, well, we'll absolutely let you know. And again maybe if you end up struggling it, it's a real reminder of things you need to work on. And luckily for you that's the case, it doesn't count. But maybe you see, hey, we're in a pretty good spot and there's going to be so much more unknown from coaches moving forward every year because they got a bunch of new pieces every year. You won't have what you had moving forward around here, meaning entirely new rosters for both Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey. But that's because they took new jobs. They had to start all over. But the portal is here to stay. Free agency is essentially what the transfer portal is. So there's gonna be a lot of new pieces every year, and you don't want to see where you stand in This exhibition game certainly gives them the chance. Told you that.
Speaker 3: Would you rather have the exhibition game or have like the like when we have four Street live down here with the big celebration of the team.
Speaker 1: Both anything Louisville basketball I will consume, Scott, give me anything.
Speaker 2: I gotcha.
Speaker 1: Right on, We've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way, and also another update of sports with Scott right here on news radio eight forty whas