Speaker 1: Don't be ridiculous.
Speaker 2: As president of Planet Spaceball, I can assure both you and your viewers that there's absolutely no air shortage whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course I've heard the same room with myself. Yes, thanks for calling and not reversing the chargers yet. Bye, Shihead.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a dot Jabourine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, the pen may be mightier than the sword, but is it mightier than the apocalyptic threat of climate change?
Speaker 3: We're honored to chat with Peter Cooper, a prolific cartoonist whose work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Nation, Charlie Ebdoh, and Mad Magazine. He's the author of numerous books, including the graphic novels kafka Esque and Insectopolis, a Natural History. His latest book, Wish We Weren't here. Postcards from the Apocalypse is published by Fanographics. Peter, Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You call pencils, pens, watercolors, and photoshop your weapons. Could you explain?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I'm hopefully you performing like a doctor, and I'm doing an operation on the problems that I'm encountering. And so that's my scalpel, and you know, my various knives, and it's the way that I'm able to communicate these ideas. So I feel like it functions that way, and or knows more and more, we're experiencing the notion that talking about things that are actually going on is a threat. So apparently those pencils, pins, et cetera are our weapons of a form.
Speaker 2: You got into comics when you were a lad, Did you always have a sense that they have this special power.
Speaker 1: I was working on a fanzine starting when I was eleven. Seth to Bachmann and I, who grew up in Cleveland, together did our first fanzine, which was called Fanzine with a pH. We were way before a fat you know. And then we did the official magazine of the Cleveland Graphic Arts Society, Gaslight as it was called, and so I was deeply, deeply into comics and going to comic convention in New York and Detroit, and when they came to Cleveland those two and so I was always attached to comics, but aiden started drawing them seriously until really, pretty relatively late. I mean, there was a point where I was drawing. When I started, when I was maybe fifteen, I was having a sketchbook, but I wasn't drawing comics, and I was daunted by the prospect of doing that. But when I started to draw comics, I realized that osmosis or whatever takes place from all, you know, reading a million comics was it was in there. And so when I started to try to do that, I started I had, you know, my sense of storytelling and all that was more built in than you know. I didn't realize how much that had seeped into my consciousness.
Speaker 2: You co founded the graphics magazine World War Three Illustrated in nineteen seventy nine. How did that come about?
Speaker 1: Well, seth to Bachman from Cleveland. You know, we'd done a fanzine. He moved to New York. Then I followed him to New York. He was at Nyu in film school, and then we both ended up at Pratt Institute and we both were really into comics, and I thought, oh, the arc of my career is going to be going into underground comics. Right about the time that that industry collapsed, you know, they closed down headshops, they all the distribution disappeared, and it just that that was not an option. But since we had done a fanzine, it wasn't a crazy idea like, well, we're doing these comics and it's very difficult to get published. That were you know, this is like nineteen seventy nine. There was one collapsing industry, but there was one starting to get its legs. I mean like Love and Rockets came in nineteen eighty one, and you know that was originally self published. That there was a percolation of like, well, you know, the river's got to flow somewhere and seth and I feeling very much like with Ronald Reagan on his way into office, that was like percolating that was right about to happen that you know, there was the hostage crisis in Iran. Ironically, here we are again, and they were talking about, you know, it was going to be bomb Iran, and there was a definite move with generally a feeling of the atomic bomb is going to be used, and with Reagan, you know this like very be minus actor potentially going to have his finger on the button. The title World War Three Illustrated seemed appropriate. So we did the first issue while we were in art school. In fact, we did a couple of the issues in art school. And it wasn't just publishing our own work. It was also there was all this work that people were doing in New York. I mean that was around the time Keith Haring was starting to draw on the subways, Bosquette was around. You know, this is the it was in New York. There was a lot of art on the streets that would maybe wash away with the first rain, and we wanted to capture that and say, especially with Reagan coming into office, to say like that there's a lot of people that don't agree with this direction and that we want to codify that history. And World War II was a place to do that. And when we did one issue, people started coming to us more. I mean we'd kind of gathered people for the first issue, but then people started to reach out to us, and one of the realizations we had was we're talking about these about the Cold War in Russia and the United States going to war and things, and these are things we read about in the newspaper, But we can talk about what's going on on East third Street in Manhattan, and it's going to be a reflection of what's going on in the world. And you know, our direct experience what was going on where there was there were a lot of abandoned buildings, but there was, you know, the rise of potential gentrification. Police were not busting drug dealers, you know, and so the situations would get worse so that they could come in and just get rid of a bunch of pease people. And it was a real vibrant time, and we had a lot of stories that we could tell that were our direct experience.
Speaker 2: Do you see parallels between when you started that magazine and now you mentioned the Iran situation and so forth. Is it kind of history repeating itself in some ways?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, it was just reading a quote that said, what we learned from history is that we don't learn from history. It's a real So many of the things that we talked about you could just reprint and say, yeah, yeah, that thing we were pointing at and saying, let's not do that. That was true with going into Afghanistan, going into Iraq. We were talking about all those things and waving our arms around about it. And you know, we're a small magazine. We didn't change the world that way, but that history does exist in the magazine. And by the way, Crazy, I'm working on a new issue right now as co editor. It's called Animal Rights. Planet Wrongs is the theme. So environmental issues and animal rights, which can join easily. And uh so we're into we're coming up on what I don't know, forty eight years of publishing. It's insane. Secret to our success. No one's never been paid, but Seth and I put into publish it and it's you know, it pays out in the positive possibilities of connecting people and uh you know, having a resource. One of the things that we get to do with the magazine is actually published people for the first time that you know, for an artist to be seen in print, it's one of the things that can make you continue or or stop. And that you know, it was you know, I was always very anxious, like I wanted to be in print. And it means a great deal, and that we've have such a long list of people that we who first started in the magazine at Eric Drucker, who's done a ton of New Yorker covers and many amazing graphic novels like you know, Flood, Blood Song and Naked Cities is a recent one. You know, that work was first appearing in World War Three. There was a book that Vertigo published called Seven Miles a Second by James Romberger and Marguerite Van Cook. It was the story of David Wanurovich. We published that first in World War Three. It became you know anyway, not I won't break my own patting ourselves on the back. It's it's you know, we've been a launch pad for World War three enjoining.
Speaker 3: The show, Click like and subscribe. You've been writing and illustrating Spy versus Spy for Mad magazine since nineteen ninety seven. What was it like taking over an iconic cartoon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I grew up on Mad, so I started looking at that when I was in a probly eight something nine, definitely intensely when I was in my teens, early early teens, and it taught me everything that I need to understand about the collision of humor and politics, and so it was hugely important to me, and Spy's Spy was probably the first thing I went to. Ironically, when they reached out to me and said, do you want to try out for Spy Versus Spy? I almost said no because I was I just finished doing a book for Vertigo called The System, which was a wordless story, all done in stencils and spray paint. It was a completely insane project, and I was really starting to feel like, Okay, now comics are about to you know, I'm about to get my footing with doing comics. And I should say, for the better part of the first decade, doing comics was almost a hobbyist thing. Like from seventy nine to two the nineties, if you were doing comics, you were just doing them because you were inclined to do them. There wasn't any money to speak of. There were almost no mainstream publishers, no book no libraries carried comics, and I took books to publishers and they just they looked at me like I was crazy. And that lasted into the nineties. In fact, that lasted until two thousand. There was the little Hits I had, like, like, I did a classics illustrated adaptation of the Jungle for First Comics right before they went bankrupt. And then then the system was for DC Vertigo, which is again ironic since it was Batman, you know, Superman and one of my books. So Mad asked me to try out for and they were like, well, pay you just you know, give it a try. And I'm like, all right, well, if I'm going to do this, I'm got I can't just mimic Antonio Broheus's style because then I'm just really like thrown in the towel on what I'm doing. And I just I was very deeply into cutting stencils out of pay and with toxic spray paint, spray painting, and so like all the entire the System was done that way. The Jungle was done that way. I did another book called Sticks and Stones, all done that way. And I was getting a ton of illustration work. I was surviving doing illustrations for mainstream magazines like Time and Newsweek, and a lot of work for the New York Times. That's what I was living on as an artist while doing comics on the side. And so I thought, well, if I'm going to do this. I'm going to do something that looks like me. So I presented a stencil spray paint version of Spy Verse Spy, and I just absolutely assumed the editors take one look at it and go, thank you very much, mister Cooper, and show me the door. And it turned out that my lack of got to get this job was exactly the way to go. And you know, it was just dumb luck, which I feel like I run on much of the time, and so it was just it was kind of a perfect fit. But I did think I'll do this for a year or two and then it'll wear out its welcome and I'll move along. And then, for whatever reason, at one point, you know, when I just was thinking like, well, I'm kind of running dry here, they went color and that outpened the door on rainbows and lots of blood and and then you know, just at different points, I mean, it's been a life raft in terms of I mean it introduces I say, it's the gateway drug to my other work. Like people who've never seen my work, and as far as they know I do Spyrus Spy, that's it. And when they're like, oh, you did something else, so it's a really great, you know, like bridge to what I want people to look at as well. And I have a blast doing it. And the weird thing is it started to fade away in about twenty twenty one, and then they asked me to do it and I'll Jaffy tribute piece, and there was the seventieth day anniversary and then they were like, hey, we're sort of bringing it back, would you like to do it? And that was maybe a year ago, and now I'm doing it. Did the cover of the last issue hand a strip and I'm doing one every issue now. So it's back full on, which is fantastic. And Mad's now every two months primarily by subscription. A lot of people think it's died. I've heard that from most people, like, oh man, I used to like this. It's like, well, you can continue.
Speaker 2: It's not just that you're drawing for Mad. You're doing probably the most iconic and popular part of Mad, Spy versus Spy.
Speaker 1: It's all very surreal in that way. It is so much in my DNA though. It's like when I sat down a lot, I was like, oh, yeah, I know this really well, and you know it's I mean, it's mostly it ceased being what its original tone was, cold war. It's now sort of lukewarm war. Although there's always ways to slip things in. I did something about during the elect I you know, had a little voting one and there's there's ways to you know, it's got that like mad in general, it has this subversive vibe.
Speaker 2: I first came across your environmental comics in the twenty nineteen anthology Slow Death Zero. What drew you to the climate crisis as an artistic subject?
Speaker 1: Well, I did a book for Fantagraphics in nineteen eighty eight called It's Only a Matter of Life and Death that was focused on environmental comics. So one of the things I discovered while working on World War three, I'm you know, my I'm developing political philosophy. It keeps on developing. Doors always open to new perspectives on and new approaches to trying to talk about what's going on. Sometimes I think the punch in the face works. I think there's artists like Sueco and Seth Ta Backman who do a great job of straight up like here you go, this is a this is it, and you know there's there's not a laugh to be found. And I've experimented with that and that approach and and subtler ways to do it, and humor is fitting pretty neatly in my my ongoing general tone. What I found was when talking about politics, it's really easy to feel over over your head, overwhelmed, like where how am I allowed to talk about politics in general? And I just found the environmental subject matter is a unifying force for everybody. You don't have to talk about you know, an individual figure, you know, political figure, it's it doesn't have you know, the focus is a collective, existent, existential threat, and that you can talk about that in a way that that I found there was you know, there's a million ways to talk about it, but that struck me as a thing that kind of of it's less specific than talking about Reagan or Trump or George Bush or Obama or whoever it, and it's more urgent than all of the things that any of them talk about or maybe do, and that it touches all of us at it in a constant way, and that I can talk about it in a very personal way and not be you know, talking beyond my degree.
Speaker 3: Whish we work here illustrates news stories about environmental destruction in humorous and horrifying ways. What inspired this collection?
Speaker 1: I somehow got the email of the art director at Charlie Hebdo. Actually I got through Art Spiegelman. They were doing an issue on censorship, and Art reached out to me as somebody who knew sort of more broadly about people in illustration in different areas than he knew, and that Charlie Habdo had reach out to him say we want to do an article about artists in America being censored. So I wrote a piece about an experience I had with The New York Times. He wrote something, you know, different details. So I have this art director's email, and I sent a strip, a wordless strip, and said, I don't know if you take unsolicited. You know I'm soliciting, but I'm just sending you this one. See if you're interested in running it. And he wrote back and said, would you be interested in doing this every week for our environmental column? And apparently they checked in with Art and said you think this guy could pull it off? And he said yes, thankfully, Thank you, Art. And that was five years ago, and I've done it every week since then. So I have a rather large mountain of these environmental comics, and being that I don't speak French, it was ideal that it was wordless. Also, it is connected to a strip started in the New York Times in nineteen ninety three called Eye of the Beholder, and I started the strip there and it ran first comic to run in New York Times. I ran in a New York section called the City Section for six months before they came. Went woke up and said why were we running comics? And I loved the idea of the strip, which was a multipanel wordless morphing story like what I did with wish we Weren't here. And so those are the days of alternative papers where every town had an alternative paper. You may remember, the good old days of wherever you were, there would be the local free Village Voice was one of those papers. We had New York Press, I mean we had two papers for free and every town had one there was, and I was doing tons of illustration work for those those newspapers, you know Dallas, there was one in Dallas, all over the country, and that's how a lot of the political cartoonists were living, you know, making their living. Tom Tomorrow was doing that. Rubin Bowling Tom and dance doing comm the Dancing bug a lot, you know, the City by dirf All those were running in alternative papers. Originally that would have been you know, kind of launching that in many ways was Matt Greening with Life and Hell and Linda Berry and there's you know, there was an outlet for that. So I pitched it around this strip I was doing for The New York Times to these alternative papers, and I got about five or six papers, and I did it for them weekly for a decade, and so I had accumulated quite a few of those. Another French paper asked me to do a strip Liberacion. I did this wordless comment for them. So I was really pretty versed in in doing this kind of type of strip, and it just it's a it's an absolutely perfect fit, uh. And I so it's an opportunity for me to look at the I mean, the negative is that I have to look at the headlines all the time. I key on my news feed on environmental subjects is enormous, and so I'm hideously conscious of how much how close we are to a tipping point, but that we keep on being there and and somehow still you know, have our coffee in the morning and get on the subway. But I find it very It's a great opportunity for me to talk about these subjects and express them in which we weren't here. And also in the strip I do for Charlie Hebdo, there's a little news headline. I grab a news headline from the Guardian, New York Times, Washington Post wherever, and it has a quick description so you know the context of the wordless four panel comic. And then I you know, constructed that in the book so that you can go to the websites and you know, you can look it up and go, oh okay, deeper dive. But my strip is an introduction to the subject.
Speaker 2: I guess as an artist it must be nice to have an endless supply of these stories, but as a human being it must be pretty depressing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, everybody is always saying that about Trump is like, yeah, oh man, that must be great. As a political cartoonist. It's you know, it's material, but it's not the material I want. I'd be happy to, you know, draw trees and bunny rabbits if I could do that and not feel like I was missing critical urgent issues. You know, that's always that's an ongoing question. As an artist, I find myself perpetually looking into the abyss and saying, you know, like trying to figure out how much I should be doing looking at that and talking about it, and how much it's actually almost you know, for Trump, everything is thrown gasoline on a fire in a certain way. But then then there's the you have to talk about those things, so you know, you have to talk about McCarthy when there's McCarthyism, that these are it's important and and hopefully cast a light on it.
Speaker 2: You write that drawing existential threats and apocalyptic images to warn of impending dangers can feel like throwing a pebble in the ocean hoping to create a tsunami of change. Can your drawings have an impact well?
Speaker 1: As my friend Tom Tomorrow slash Dan Perkins said, well, it's more like, you know, a drip in a bucket, and you know you're filling up a bucket full of water, and Lord knows we need water to survive. So there's that, I think the connective tissue that happens when you do something like this that makes people feel like there's some solidarity that is you know in a march, the hilarious posters that you know that this is a glue that holds people together in a certain way. One of the things that you know, I've heard my whole life is is like, oh, you're preaching into theted And it's like, I did not come out, step out of the womb politicized. I had no idea about anything. And it's been a slow developing story. And that what I developed my political perspective on was the other things I saw that had political perspective, the Thomas Nasts and the Robert Crumb's and the all the artists that we're talking about what was going on. So that I don't feel like I'm preaching the converted. I feel like I'm well, first of all, I do it. I mean it's I'm happy to make a living at it, of course, but I do it because I feel compelled. But I do feel you know, when I see something that speaks to me like that, and that's in music, in all art forms, it means a great deal. It's a I mean, I feel in some ways it's helped me survive. It's it's it's a life raft, you know. I mean, how many songs have you listened to that you just feel heartened and you know they make you want to get up in the morning. And that's that's one of the roles that art can play. And I feel like that's you know, it doesn't mean that there's not a degree of frustration. And doing World War Three illustrated for forty seven years and talking about some in some ways. You know, we're talking about Iran in the first issue and here we are. It's it's frustrating to not feel like those things have you know that that the art has magically made them go away. On the other hand, if you look at the history of movements, they're a struggle. I mean, Jules Feiffer said, the thing about the you know, the the endless struggle is it's endless. It's like you know, you're you're the fight is going to be. It's not a simple you're in the march and you feel better and you go home. It's you're in a march, and then you're in another march, and then you're writing, and then you're et cetera, and and that's it's going to require of that. And you know, I feel like I've had a very e in terms of being able to bitch about what's going on and still have make a living and you know have essentially you know, food on the table, and that's you know, incredible fortune. But it's it is. You know, around the world people are experiencing the very horror show that I'm saying I hope doesn't happen. It's happened. It's happening. It's been happening, and you know, so my sense of like God, we have to fight to make sure this doesn't happen. You know, if you're in Gaza, you're not thinking about whether it might happen.
Speaker 3: You teach cartooning at Harvard. What are some of the dues and dunts you tell your students.
Speaker 1: I talk about failure in the first class, because it's like, what makes it possible to survive as an artist is very important to fail and get up the next day and then believe that you're going to be able to do it again. And that I just say, the fact that anybody that you see that's successful has like you know, in cartooning, it's like three graphic novels that nobody bought, or you know, mountains of cartoons. I mean, I submit cartoons to the New Yorker all the time. They get it between one thousand and fifteen hundred cartoons a week, and they pick thirteen. So failure is sort of like on your shoulder constantly. And if you can't dust yourself off and get up and then do that again, then you're not going to be able to pull it off. And you have to have a fairly strong ego. That way, a delusion be delusional. I mean I think that many of us are delusional. Or you just really feel shitty all the time, and you do it anyway because it's the only thing that makes you feel like it's you know, I have many great motivating factors for me. One of the big motivators since I was eight and saw the movie fail Safe about how the United States accidentally bombs Russia into a void World War three. We allow them to bomb one city, which happens to be New York City, where I want to move, and that sent to chill up my spine age eight. But it later came in handy because I always was feeling like I was running against the clock to get my book published before they drop the bomb, say, or you know, like got to do this cartoon, got to make love before they drop the bomb. Always very positive push there. It's like and it's still true. It still could happen at any moment, and so you might as well, you know, like if you go Buddhist and think about the moment and just be very I try to take as much joy as you can from every second that you're you know, blood is closer through your veins and you're not in pain, and even if you are in you know, have a toothache. But so I promote that that fact, and it's really easy to tell people that, you know, there's everybody has a story. I mean, if you if you dream, if you go to sleep at night and you have a dream, you've already got got a pretty interesting story that can involve flying or all sorts of things that are great source material. And everybody's lives are full of stories to draw upon. So that's just you know, tip of the iceberg. In a fifteen week or seven week course. I teach during the summers now and then if I teach go up to Boston from you know commute, which I do periodically, then it's the fifteen week course. But I really I started teaching at School of Visual Arts in nineteen eighty seven, I was, you know, not too far out of school myself and learning how to teach. And one of the reasons why I did it was because comics are so complex, there's so many moving parts, and there's so many things you have to remember to do a good comic that I wanted to talk about it again and again and again so that I would remind myself of what to do. And I also jokingly said to students, you know, like I, I'm teaching so that you'll remember me, and when you go out into the world and get a job, you'll hire me. And that actually worked many many times. That was I was kind of joking when I said it, but it worked like a charm.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks so much, Peter for joining us.
Speaker 1: Happy to be here, thanks for giving me the opportunity.
Speaker 2: And to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives. Amusing Jews is here to amuse you.
Speaker 3: If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.