Speaker 1: How we're doing eighties Joel?
Speaker 2: Now, Eighties Joel, shout out, Horatio Sands, step brothers. We only exclusively do eighties Joel. Sir, that's all right, it's all right. You know you can only rely on the old school Billy Joel so much. Voice of the Ute time Bill Riley Wednesday Afternoon, Ryle's Happy Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: Is this the fen Catalina Wine?
Speaker 1: I love that they had an eighties Joel cover band.
Speaker 2: It is so perfect because look, I like Billy Joel, but the eighties I think it's safe to say got loose.
Speaker 1: For our guy.
Speaker 3: Glasshouses is his peak, probably peak Joel. But yeah, the later stuff hit here, hit there, But yeah, you're right, it's you know, and Horatio Sands could have been any better.
Speaker 2: I tried to watch Happy Gilmore Too last night. Lasted fifteen minutes, so I dug into the Billy Joel documentary on HBO.
Speaker 1: Have you tried to watch?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did watch Happy Gilmore Too. I didn't go in with high expectations. I found it amusing. It was fine, But for you I have I've heard great things about the Joel documentary. Is it good?
Speaker 2: Highly recommend I watched. I watched the first part. It's a two parters, so highly recommend excellent.
Speaker 3: They'll dial it up.
Speaker 2: You're watching anything else these days on what's on the Bill Riley TV show List?
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot going on right now, Spence. To be fair, I got into Handmaid's Tale, the Hulu show with Elizabeth Moss, The Seed. The last season just came out, and I've been watching the w I never watched it when it came out initially and went into that. It's got a lot of HBO show vibes where you've got to kind of let the characters develop. But outside of that, not much. Just doing a lot of reading, a lot of football reading and studying right now for the fall from the fall season coming up.
Speaker 2: Well, in that case, we should start with a comprehensive breakdown of how George and Yang fits in with the Jazz roster.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, the minivan is back. He is? What was what was the I mean, they just trying to get to the floor of what they have to spend. What's the thought process behind bringing George back?
Speaker 2: You get two second round picks for a salary Boston didn't want, and I think that's it. I wouldn't be stunned if they actually bought them out. But that was a question tongue in cheek. No one gives a rip. They're not going to be good this year, so let's stop football, Bill.
Speaker 3: The Hut will be good this year. Yeah, I'm betting on so we talk about that.
Speaker 2: So the question I've been asking everybody today is what does success look like year two? In the Big twelve? The Vegas over under seven point five wins. If I gave you eight, Bill, would you take that out of the gates?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would. I saw that line, you know, not for entertainment purposes only, but I like the over on that bet. I'm not predicting an eleven and one season or anything like that, but I think this team was average quarterback play away from being eight or nine wins last year. I think to have more than that this year. Now. The schedule's tough, I mean Texas Tech and BYU in Arizona State, and the finishing up with the Kansas schools is not going to be easy. But I know if I were gambling and allowed to gamble, I would I would look at that and say I'm with you on that spence. I think over seven and a half is a is a pretty fair thought on this Utah football team.
Speaker 2: We were discussing the dynamic of pressure and when it comes to what Utah football found themselves in last year, the pressure was pretty simple to explain. Everybody thought that we're going to win the thing, and so you enter other stadiums with the proverbial favorite bullseye on your back. You welcome teams into your stadium that are motivated to come in and beat the team that everyone thinks he is going to win it. That pressure is not there this year. Is that something you think can be beneficial for the coaching staff to utilize the whole us against the world mentality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, and I think you can provide that little chip on the show. Older though, I will say I think a lot of people and you and I've talked about this ever since Big twelve media days, I think the tide is shifted a little bit. Not that Utah is some sort of overwhelming favorite like they were a year ago, but I think more people are jumping on the Utah bandwagon. But it's not unanimous, and there's a case to be made for ASU or Kansas State or Baylor or whomever. So I think they can use that a little bit, though not too much. It's not as if people expect them to finish near the bottom of the league. So I think it's a little bit of one. But I think more than anything else, I think this team's just hungry. And again, it's not the same team that was here two or three years ago. But there's a lot of guys in the coaching staff, and I think there's a lot of people that are eager to restore Utah football to what it's been the last decade or so. And I think they've got a chance to do that if they stay healthy. Obviously everything's predicated on the quarterback position, So if Devin dan Pierre stays upright this year behind that outstanding offensive line, I think they've got a great chance to do it.
Speaker 2: It is there a and you can only experience this, experience this if you're in the building like you are. It's always hard to ascertain what's real or what's not on social or just on TV on video. Is there a more loose feel with the group this year? You know, preseason last year. I think all those expectations and then the ambiguity about the health of not just Cameron but the other players probably premeated throughout the entire thing. I felt like there was kind of like an uptight feel in the building last year. Does it feel like it's a little more loose so far this year?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say loose, Spence, I would say very dialed in. I think that these guys, especially on the offensive side of the football, where they've brought in a new scheme, they really got these coaches or really locked into the details and coaching the details. I've been out to a number of practices and being able to watch a lot of practice, what I see is a lot of detail oriented coaching and these guys really being locked in on, you know, the little things. And I wouldn't say it's tense or I wouldn't say it's loose. What I'd say is it's very locked in and focused on what they have to do. You're installing a new offense, you know, sure the quarterback knows it, one of the receivers, one of the quarterback and the running backs know it, but everybody else doesn't. So even through spring till now, there's a lot of really refinement and attention to detail. That again, maybe I didn't pay as much attention last year to it, but this year I can really see these coaches focused in on the little things and making sure the little things are taken care of, because you know that old adage, if you let the little things go, then they snowball into big things, and they're not doing that right now. So not loose, not tight, I would say focused when.
Speaker 2: It comes to you know, it's nice to know who the starter is under center, and of course it's Devin, And it seems like there's a lot of praise for bird flick Fickland, the new kid that we need to get to know about a little bit.
Speaker 1: Does it feel like that quarterback.
Speaker 2: Room is still a battle behind Devon or do you think it's I think it's settled one two three.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I still think it's a battle. I think they're going to want to look at both scrimmages before. I mean, obviously, if you were if you were battling for a number one quarterback, you want to get that thing settled as soon as humanly possible. I think with the backup quarterback thing, you're right, bird Fickland has looked for a guy that's a true freshman, and he looks sharp in the spring, but Isaac has looked good at times this fall too. I think both those guys have had their moments. Isaac's got the experience factor, bird Fickland's a little bit more athletics, got a little bit more of a live arm. So I don't think they're going to set out again. This is just me hypothesizing, but I don't think that they're going to settle that backup quarterback thing till probably later in camp. I think they want to give both those guys as many reps as they possibly can to figure out who that backup quarterback is.
Speaker 2: What do you think the Nate Johnson experience this year looks like? Obviously we know Nate, he was here before trans three to transfer's back in not in the mix to start, and that's fine, But what sort of Nate Johnson experience you think we're in for it for you Tah this year?
Speaker 3: I think, and again this bear with me here. I think you know how the forty nine ers used Deebo Samuel, How they lined him up all over the field. They put him in the slot, they'd line him up in the backfield, they bring him in motion they'd line him up out. Why I think you're going to see them do something like that with Nate Johnson because he doesn't have a defined position. He was a quarterback his entire life. But what we know is he's a terrific athlete. So I think what Jason Beck and his staff are figuring out this fall camp, and I think they were doing a little bit in spring too, is you know where his absolute strengths are, where you're going to see him thrive the most. I don't think you're going to see Nate Johnson on the field for forty five or fifty snaps. Well maybe you. I don't know, but my guess is I think they're going to utilize him in situations that best fit his athleticism and his football mold right now, because again, yeah, I know we saw him do a lot of things when he was here a couple of years ago. He sat behind the pavi at at Vandy last year, so he's really learning to be a field player more than a quarterback right now. But I think that you're going to see his role probably evolve as the year goes along. It might be a small role as the season begins, but if he thrives in that small role. I could absolutely see him with an expanded role as the season goes along, just because he's such a phenomenal athlete. And when you see him even out of the practice field, his size, his speed, his kind of wiggle a little bit on the field, it stands out. So I think, you know, initially it'll probably be a little bit of a I don't even know if limited is right word, but a smaller package. And then I think as he as he gets more and more comfortable being a field player, I think that package evolves.
Speaker 2: I know I ask you every week, but it does seem to be by a coach WIT's own admission. The positional group on offense that has the most unknowns right now, and if Devin's numbers will improve through the air, juxtapose what he did year ago in New Mexico. He's got to find some receivers to catch the football. You know, when you look at just the measurements the Merriweather kids six five one ninety five, which certainly is the size you want at that position.
Speaker 1: But how is that group coming?
Speaker 3: Bill?
Speaker 1: Can you share any progress with us?
Speaker 3: Hey? I talked to Micah Simon, who's the wide receiver coach quite a bit after practices, and I think he likes what he's seeing. I don't know that they've got their locked in top six or seven yet, but I think they're beginning to get a feel for it. I've heard good things about Tobias Merriweather, as you mentioned Spence. He has those measurables six, five, one to ninety five, can run a four to four and get deep. He has it. I know Larry Simmons, the transfer from Southern Myths, has had some good days too. Creed Whittemore kid that's a transfer from Mississippi State, has had some good practices. Same thing with Ryan Davis who was in this offense last year, and Dadrin Zipperer, who was in this offense a year ago, has had some moments too. So I think the beginning to get a feel for it. You know. Again, it's a little bit like the backup quarterback spot. I don't know that you have to lock in your top six now in the second week of camp, but I think you probably want to have it locked up by the time camp kind of wraps up next week.
Speaker 2: Does it feel like Wasshan is RB one by far? And what else? Can you tell us about that that room? You know, was Shawn Parker good freshman year Wazoo five point four yards per carry, wasn't their primary. But at practice this last week he said he's looking to eclipse one thousand, wants to touch fifteen hundred. Utah has had seventeen one thousand yard running backs in its history. It's a position that has great history and pedigree. So does it feel like Wasshan has separated himself and who else is shining in that room?
Speaker 3: I think he would probably be RB one right now. I don't know that. I think the days of you know, remember when John White and Devontae Booker and guys like that would get thirty carries a game. I think those days have gone by the way. But remember was Shawan last year as a freshman, a true freshman at Washington State ran for seven hundred and fifty seven hundred and seventy yards. He didn't have an offensive line like he's got this year at Utah. So I would say he's probably the number one option. But Nickie Rodgers, who played at New Mexico a year ago, who was the backup there a year ago, He's in the mix as well. A green young man from UNLV's getting some touches. They really like this young kid from the Dallas area, Daniel Bray. It's a true freshman, not a real big running back yet, but he's super fast. So I think you're probably going to see a little bit of a mix. I don't think we see one guy getting twenty seven to thirty carries a game, but I think it's pretty fair to say right now that Wayshan would probably be that lead guy with Rogers, the guy who played in the offense a year ago right behind him.
Speaker 2: You know, you referenced the schedule, and I guess it depends on what you read and who you listen to. But I feel like Texas Tech, Arizona State, and Kansas State are three of what I would say six or seven teams that are mentioned. To win the Big twelve, you get all three of those teams at home. Seems like the road test will be Provo against BYU, then Waco against Baylor. But yeah, just kind of generally speaking, your thoughts on the schedule. How it starts out at the Rose Bowl against a UCLA team with a lot of new players. The non con includes cal Poly at home, then the Porter Larson Bowl and Laramie. But what do you what do you make of just the schedule both non conon conference and we'll sell you loose after this.
Speaker 3: I think it sets up pretty well spenced to be fair. I mean, you're playing two road games. I think UCLA, you know, I think they're going to be better on offense this year. They struggled last year early with did Deshaun Fosters there as their head coach, first SEMIT coach. Got a little bit better as a year went along, but defensively they have not been very good and they look pretty empty there. This year, maybe something changes. We'll get to see Nico Iamali. We'll see what he's able to do. I like Utah's chances there. Obviously cal Poly at home. Not sure what Yo's got just yet. They weren't picked super high on the Mount West Conference. But going to Laramie, and again that's a game right before you're coming home to play Texas Tech. You don't want to take anything for granted, but I think those three games are all very winnable for Utah. And then you get that first big test Texas Tech, who spent depending on the reports you here anywhere from twenty five to fifty five million dollars in the offseason on their roster. They're going to be good. They've got a regive, veteran quarterback coming back, They've got they loaded up on their offensive and defensive lines with transfers. Now the real question is can you make all those guys fit together quickly? We'll see. But I like the way the schedule plays out for them, and like you said, to have Tech, to have Arizona State, to have Kansas State at home. I think the two really tough road games are are them are the Baylor game in mid November and that game in Provo, which is always a tough game. Though I will say depending on Kansas's health, in Jalen Daniel's health, that could be a really big game at the end of the year. In fact, it might be a game that determines whether you go to the Big twelve championship game, because if that kid's healthy, he is dynamic. He is Devin Dampier like in his athleticism. He's just been beat up the last couple of years. So I think that could be a sneaky tough game, especially Thanksgiving weekend. But I do like the way the schedule sets up, especially having Tech in Arizona State and k State in Salt Lake City. But I agree with you. I think there's five or six teams that could make a real case for winning this league. And the good news for Utah is three of the five of them play a rice cycles.
Speaker 1: Is your handler giving us the high sign?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: What's happening now?
Speaker 3: He might be coming down the hall?
Speaker 1: All right, Bill, Well we'll set you there. Thanks for the time, buddy, Thanks benthel Thuk.
Speaker 3: You seeing Bill.
Speaker 2: Riley voice the you who now has a handler tell us when he has to get off the phone.
Speaker 4: It was just a short time ago, a co worker.
Speaker 1: What happens?
Speaker 2: Well, he's big time in us now have big twelve media day. He was the one you coach. Witt didn't even have a handler. Kyle sat down with us for twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: I know, I will say, I do know the issue. Today they're about to do interviews on the hill, So all right, practice just got.
Speaker 1: Over, okay.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was surprised to hear Bill say if I gave him eight wins today, he takes that.
Speaker 4: I was a little too. Now he's up there every day. He may have a little closer I than we do. Right, We're not. We're not operating off of seeing these guys on the field. So hey, maybe this early in camp there's a little trepidation on you know, saying we're gonna win nine ten games. I'm okay with that. Let's revisit this exact conversation when I get Bill on final week of fall camp, right when we get those guys on in late August, That's when I feel like maybe we can put some stock into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of scrimmages left between Now and UCLA coach Beck last week did say that this week they are starting their game specific planning for the Bruins. And I would imagine if you're starting to implement schemes and you're starting to really put a game plan together. And we talked about this earlier with BYU. I don't know who's starting a quarterback for BYU, but my guess is they know or they have a lean and I'm quite sure whether it's the backup quarterback job with Bird Ficklin and Isaac Wilson, or this wide receiver room that feels so full of unknowns. If they're putting in game plans this week, they certainly have an idea, if not knowing altogether, who's the backup for Devin and how that wide receiver room is going to look, what the defensive line rotation is going to look like. Because it's no longer like it is time man like we're there. We are basically three weeks in change away from game day. Interesting thing about UCLA is they're going to be a little bit better offensively, but they're among the lowest teams in the country in returning production, not just in the Big Ten. I think we've talked about this though. I do like that landing spot. I like game one. I like that it's a brand I like that it's the Rose Bowl, And I like you have a UCLA team where, even if they're not you know what they have been historically speaking, you get a win over UCLA at the Rose Bowl week one over a brand name team and a team that maybe isn't all that dominant that it feels like a nice landing spot for me.
Speaker 4: I think so too. Obviously, scheduling happens so far out that it's not like this is something you planned, you baked in, but getting an opponent that I you know, I think Utah can beat. Now, it's not a cakewalk. It's not an FCS school. It's not you know, opening up against a team that is paying their entire yearly budget just to come up here and get stomped. That's not what you have week one. It's a winnable football game against a school you have history against, against a school who Kyle Whittingham has historically dominated, and you know, worse, worst thing, it doesn't matter. It's a non conference game against a former Pac twelve foe. If you have to knock the rust off and go ohn one in week one, well at least you do it in Pasadena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: And you're not wrong, because the conference games are what matters. But with this non conference schedule, I do think the expectation should be the Utah Inters conference Play three and ZHO.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to be favorite at UCLA.
Speaker 2: We'll see what the game line looks like during game week, which again three weeks in change. There of course going to be a massive favorite. The cal Poly game is going to be one of those like seventy to three games, and then on the road at Layer. If this was nineteen ninety seven, maybe I'd say that's a little bit tricky.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't be this year. So the first conference.
Speaker 2: Game, Texas Tech at home, the expectation has to be you toass three to zero heading into that game, even though the non conference games don't carry the same type of weight that the conference games carry. Texas Tech, Arizona State, and k State at home. That's a big deal because I do think those are three and if you look at Bill Conley's S and P and then at Adam Rittenberg wrote a piece about the thirty two teams he thinks can actually win the national championship.
Speaker 1: He lists all three of those teams.
Speaker 2: He lists Texas Tech, he lists Arizona State, and he lists Case State. Three really good football teams out of this conference that will be playing here in Salt Lake City. Of course, the two biggest road tests by far at BYU down in Provo, then at Baylor in Wacom