Speaker 1: This is the Full Funnel bt B Marketing podcast, brought to you by full Funnel dot Io. Let's start.
Speaker 2: Everyone, We're back with our new episode of full Funnel Life. And for this week, we selected a topic that apparently appeared on our radar folk quite a few months, repeatedly and more precisely, whenever we had discovery calls with the new prospects about account based marketing that was kind of a repetitive pattern where let's say CMOS or the piece of marketing we were talken through. They were saying, my team has anyhow running ABM, we are doing some sort of it, and like, how can we how can we find it right? And the truth is that if somebody is coming to us, it means that they are usually not satisfied with how the program, but another let's say site, they have sales team, product client success leadership who might have different opinions about account based marketing, different perception or understanding of account based marketing. There all of marketing and sales in a b M right, And what we decided to do today is basically sharing with you the six core components. Obviously, you can spend way more time and we could prepare a much bigger least for your audit. But we just selected these six most common areas where companies are not So let's say they are making mistakes that a leading to let's say, lower efficacy of the ABM programs. Right, Let's put it like this. I don't want to call it they're doing it wrong way or they're doing it incorrectly, but let's say they're doing it that way. That leads to the program and the performance.
Speaker 1: That's the key.
Speaker 2: So we're going to share. We are going to share with you this six core areas, will share the kind of the setup that leads to the lower efficacy and the setup that leads to the better efficacy, and how to fix it right, how to go from let's say, how to refine it. Uh, you're very welcome to ask any questions, and let us know in the chat where you guys all joining us from where again broadcasting from Signy and warm Spain. Let us know in the chat where you guys all join us from. And while you're typing, I'll just quickly move forward, right the current state of a BM that we are constantly Here is what I just said, and this is how this is. Uh, this was recently defined by one of let's say, B two, B C. Most we were talking about, uh about ABM. We are doing ABM already. We have a named account list that our sales team is targeting and our marketing team is trying to get in front of them. Technically, that could be called account based marketing. You have the shared list of accounts, sales are prospecting them, and marketing is targeting them. Can you call it a BM for sure? Right? But the problem is what's jalay Uh, the CEO and co founder of Mutiny, described brilliantly in that post right that ABM is the teenage sex of the new decade. Right, a lot of well, let's say everybody is talking about it if you are actually doing it, no, almost nobody is good at it, right, And the problem is that there is no formal education of ABM. Let's be honest, Well, do most of us learned about ABM. Most of us learned from the content created by ABM vendors by platform first of all, by technology vendors by platforms, and that set up the understanding. While let's say not so many of us learned the hard way. For example, what used to work for Sonya for big corporations and corporate projects. I used to be an enterprise sales and market and where my market was limited to kind of fifty plus core retail chains and the contract values right from five hundred k to fifty million dollars per year, right, and then the only thing that you could do is just account based marketing. And we have kind of pretty different understanding of how good ABM looks like compared to let's say the conventional ABM knowledge. So that being said, this is kind of the state, right, the state that lots of teams they think they are doing ABM, but it's quite often it underperforms. So from that perspective, we are going to share with you these six core layers highlights the setup of like let's say low FIC as a setup and high I think as a setup and how to fix it. And the first one I'm going to past microphone to what is account is building at the account selection right, the most kind of the most common mistake is happening.
Speaker 1: Thank you Andrey, Hello, welcome to everybody joining from actually all over the world. And as always, there is some discussion about ABX. Patent said ABX as a joke never caught on. It's true that actually I run into this frequently that internally in the organizations, the fact that we call account based marketing marketing, that there is a word marketing in it just makes everybody assume it's a marketing responsibility. And the way that we were thinking about this internally and sometimes how we present this two prospects, this account based motion just to kind of avoid the marketing trap, because indeed, when done without sales, it's not effective. Right, So let's dive into the first aspect and when we looked at the programs, because a lot of times we might be invited by our prospects and our clients to help them fix an ineffective program in effective accountanies marketing program or accounty motion and one of the categories or one of the characteristics of let's say good well performing programs and also our performing programs that we see everywhere that makes one of the biggest differences is exactly how the list was built and the low efficacy way of building the list. And something that we see everywhere is usually the sales will share their lists with marketing and maybe in addition, what happens quite frequently is hey, you know what these are our lists of target accounts, and by the way, these are the industries that we are focused on so marketing. What they do is they basically kind of build two lists. There is the sales list, and then they also include in other way targeting let's say all the financial service companies in the United States, all SAUS companies that are larger than five hundred employees in North America or such broad targeting based on the industry, the size of the organization, and then targeting specific titles in there. And while there's actually nothing wrong with sales lists per se, the problem is that I always think about this anecdote when I was speaking to one of sales director and asked him about how their sales lists were built, and he was like, well, we just take the biggest accounts in our territory. That's basically how they build a list. And I'm not saying that every sales team is doing that. There let's say more advanced or more refined ways in which they are building the list. But very frequently these lists are there is no indication that these accounts actually may have a need, There is no indication that they might actually be a good fit. There are no specifically, there is no sufficient research being done to basically say, hey, you know what, these are a good fit. They actually have a need or there is some indication, some signals that these accounts may have a need for a product like us. And there is another aspect of it, and this is so other than being broad or having lists where there is no necessarily intent, there is not even necessarily a product need, is that these lists are treated as static. And what do we mean by that is there is a list and we go after that list and that doesn't change. Well, maybe it's reviewed quarterly or yearly or whatever, but usually this is a static list. And of course we know that these accounts, they don't sit still. There's stuff that is happening the market, that is stuff that is happening within those accounts, and we need to take that into account. In other words, we need a more dynamic view of our target accounts. So how does a selection look like for high efficacy programs or those who usually achieve better conversions, better results. Is that we take We take the source. We can take those sales lists for sure as a source, but we also look at the intent data, the intent based on the research and the intent data, just intent and engagement data. And we actually so again, you don't necessarily have to say, hey, you know what, I'm going to ignore the sales lists. You can actually in a lot of organizations, you might not even have that choice. You might have to actually focus on the sales list. But at least what you need to do is prioritization of those lists. From the hundreds of accounts that are in that list, which of those do we need to focus on, and not necessarily hey, just let's sort them by size and start from top to bottom. Let's stay the top ten. So when we are talking about the numbers here, we are talking about numbers that are related to the number of people who are actually actively working in the program. So you cannot just say, you know, your list should have fifty accounts. Well, depends on how many salespeople are actually involved in actively engaging with those accounts. Because one person, if a one person is supposed to create personalized approach, an account plan, and a personalized approach to each of the ten different buyers in those fifty accounts. We're talking about five thousand people fifty accounts. I don't know how many different departments that you need to study, understand, research, engage, et cetera, et cetera. That's obviously impossible. That's why we always speak about the size of the list in function of the number of salespeople that are involved in behaving program. Okay, and then I also mentioned prioritization, and the way that we look at prioritization is basically according to three main criteria. Let's say, the level of awareness. Are these accounts even aware of us? Or are they not aware of us? In other words, if these accounts don't even know that we exist, if they are not regularly engaging, visiting our website, or aware of basically our value proposition what we can mean to them, then that would be our job. Right. Our job is then to basically create awareness, and there we can have a larger amount of accounts, and it's usually marketing mainly who is kind of taking care of those accounts and creating awareness. Now that we have accounts that are aware of us, then we can make a difference. Okay, they seem to know us, but do we know them? In other words, do we have any indication that they actually have an active need? Is there some indication that they're actually looking to solve a specific problem. Is there some priority, some strategic priority initiative, strategic initiative happening in those target accounts that might be driving the need for change. Are the new executives coming on, are theyre hiring new personnel, Are they in target department, let's say in our case, maybe they're hiring a new AVM lead. Are there any other educations that are meaningful to you that these accounts may be showing some signals, some that you can basically based on your research, is on the signals the derived that they may have a need. And it's also very important to take into account that not everything can be found out by just looking at their website, at their quarterly updates or any other public information that we have access to. Some of the information, actually the most interesting information you can only get from the inside, from the buyers, from the people who are inside those accounts. I sometimes call it like insider information because maybe there is like strategic priorities on the high level that have been communicated by the CEO, But really how that trickles down and how that translates, and whether they're actually actively looking for a solution to a specific problem. You might only be able to find that out through a call or other kinds of conversation with the buyer. And that's why it's so important that we also involve sales, especially sales development, earlier in the process. And that's why we speak about this middle list. So the left one that you see here is cluster ICP. These are all the accounts that belong to the target cluster that we have identified and want to focus on, that are not aware of us. And then those that are aware of us, but we don't really know them, we don't have information. Now what we need to do is we need to start researching those accounts. We need to map their buyers. They start, need to start engaging those buyers and try to get information from both research the signals that engagement and tense signals, but also through that engagement, through that sales engagement, also try to get some insider information. And finally, the third group are those who we know them. They know us, there is sufficient evidence signals to make us believe that they indeed have a need and they are actually there's multiple engagements. Maybe there is an initial relationship at least like it's easy. There is maybe back and forth between one of our salespeople and one of their buyers, even if it's just on social or email, so we are able to kind of start a conversation with them. We put them in active focus. So these are the accounts that we're focusing on. So coming back to the numbers, how big business should be, Well, when you look at the active focus where you're basically driving kind of personalized one on one personalized programs, trying to engage in book discovery calls with those accounts there we are talking about, you know, maximum ten, we are talking about a handful of accounts. When we're talking about future pipeline accounts, we are talking about a couple of dozen, right, so we're not talking about I think fIF mexic in fifty is really already quite a lot. I would say, right, you may even have fifty just in the custoizity depending on the size, and you become complex to the number of buyers that you will have there. So to sum it all up, what we want to do is we want to prioritize accounts based on their level of awareness, based on also the revenue potential and also whether there is there are any signals that they're engaging. There is some relationship being formed, and there are some signals that they might actually be in the market, that there might actually at least have a problem high priority problem there that have the need for your product. These these are the kindomcrit here that we would use to select those accounts. So very different than just going after all the accounts that sales send to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also I would love to say that that's very different from like conventional ABM knowledge. Why you have one do many and one to few, one to one, and you separate all the accounts and then you pat you define for one to one, I want to have the X number of accounts, and what happens here it's maybe the biggest where the biggest let's say challenge lies is marketing says, hey, here's the philosopher one to one cell say, oh fantastic, we have prioritized this. Let's say five biggest accounts in our area, which seems to be fine. But the problem is, let's think about we want to sell to JP Morgan, right, and five biggest banks JP Morgan, Morgan, Stanley, you name it, right, what happens next? We have no connections there, we have no idea if they're in the market or if any business unit is in the market with whom we should engage, etc. Which means that with one to one ABM, we are supposed to create awareness first. But will sales actually be doing this and all? And let's ask a honess question. Are there any organizations that will allow sales and market and spend inenormous time on just creating awareness in one account and at the end just understand that this account is not in the market. This is the biggest problem and this is where we feel the fundamental mistake lice when companies say, hey, we are doing this one to one one too many, et cetera, and when they start selecting account and mentione it too. Now, as we promised, we're going to share how to fix it. So what I did. I also made screenshots from our course about account this marketing, So if you guys would love to dive deeper into the process, because obviously we can't just come up with the actual exercises and show this in detail. So we're going just explain the principles here. But if you want to dive deeper, you can you can take our course which is the part of full Final Academy. Now what we're going to do as the first step for this account selection, right, we need to as what mentioned, we need to define account qualification criteria, right, what criteria we are going to apply to generally select the accounts first, and then define this account prioritization criteria. How we are going to segment these accounts between these three sub lists? Where should we start? We shouldn't start just simply ask and selles, Hey, what are the best accounts we want to target? The best scenario is when you pick up one specific use case. And we spoke many times about why use case or cluster based ABM is much better than let's say, vertical based, et cetera. For a specific use case, you extract the biggest deals and the fastest deals, depending on how much data you have. Well, usually recommend to look at the last twelve to eighteen months because it's still fresh, right, and we recommend you to extract maybe a suite of five deals again depending on how much data you have, right for that for that specific use case, biggest and fastest deals, and also recommend to look at the five recent loss recently lost deals for the same specific use case. When you extract this data, you can start and this is obviously a joint exercise between marketing and sales. You need to involve false account executives for this exercise. You need to discuss a key So what are the patterns we're seeing here? What are the characteristics of the accounts that are making them a great feed? And it could be fun I mean pharmographics. Everybody knows. I don't need to speak a lot about this. But what other criteria. Maybe some technologist set up maybe missing I don't know, missing missed critical components and the infrastructure. Maybe they are hiring for specific roles, and this is an evidence that this company is going to prioritize a specific solution, opening new offices, whatever, Right, the key point is to understand these patterns and our next step while we're doing this, we want to leverage these patterns and create account qualification. And this qualification criteria you can see our example. Obviously, our example is way more simplified. We're not let's say, we're not that sophisticated a company and were already created a pretty niche market. But still you can see some important criteria for us. For example, the distributed go to market teams. We know that let's say from the longevity of our projects. The companies that have multiple go to market teams and multiple regions let's say Emia, North America, A, et cetera. Right, for us, this is a sweet spot because then we're held companies to create a central framework and adapt it to the regions. We look at all side sales and marketing team size because the question is do we actually have I mean from the company side, right, do we actually have resources to implement ABM, Because let's not pretend that it could be done, you know, with just somebody who is going to spend a few hours a week and assume that it will move the needle. Right, This is the key. Next, when you analyze these deals, it's essential to extract the entire buying committee, not just saying, hey, we're selling to the piece of it. See No, but you just need to understand the entire kete actually from top to the bottom, right, who are the end users, who are the champions, who are the decision makers and budget holders, etc. And if you'll do a deep analysis, not just generic you know statement, hey we're selling to this VP plus or C plus level. No, when you start looking at when you analyzing the deals, you'll see who exactly is engaging and you can uncover tons of different profiles that will be helpful for your marketing. And lastly, why we do the analysis of lost deals because we want to understand the same patterns, right, what makes this account a bad feed? Because sometimes there are companies like you can see the account qualification criteria on a paper, they looks fantastic, right, and we want to say, okay, this is the perfect account, We're going to work with it. But then you have a discovery call and then you realize that it's a bad company due to certain criteria. Right. So that's why it's essential to identify this criteria, make them tangible together with sales, and then when you receive sales list, you're the first thing that you do. You qualify all accounts due to this jointly approved account qualification criteria. When it's prioritized, then you start doing this account prioritization criteria. What blood already covered last ICP very simple. Here what we all qualified accounts right now? Which of those accounts should be moved to future pipeline accounts? You need to sit down again together with cells and create a joint definition of engaged or an account that is aware of your product. Right, there is like sometimes we get on this question, what is like a good indicator of print awareness? And the only good answer to this is the one that you agree together our cells that you can leverage. Right, you need to kind of define the behavior if you want some signals that this account should demonstrate, so you can say for sure, okay, this account is engaged. We can now move it to the future pipeline list right where you are going to spend more time on the buying committee MAPP and multis read and engagement, et cetera, to validate their needs and lastly actually focus the same story. What criteria will tell us that this account is in the market, there is an evident need that we can help them with our product. We can create this, we can create certain solutions for them, and we have the relationship with these accounts. So these are the core steps that you need to take. And you go from like, okay, we are trying to get in front of the accounts that selles our perspective to precise account least where you know what you both, I mean both marketing and sales are going to do. This is critical. So that being said, let's move to the second layer, which is our favorite, account research. Everybody claims they are doing this, but where to us Quite often it's very far from how good account research looks like and how it should be leveraged and the final past macro front of that. Guys, feel free to type your questions in the chat and the Q and A section will make sure we're going to them. So now was that then said, let's move to the account research.
Speaker 1: So account research is you might do a bit of research or so the initial research when you're qualifying the accounts to even include them in your list, but once the accounts start, once the accounts are included in your future pipeline list, the second list, second priority, let's say, is when you should start more in depth research. So let's look at how it looks like when it's done, let's say, with room for improvement, and how it can be done better. So a lot of companies, Actually, I think it's not that the companies and that there are no individuals within those companies that are not doing account research. I'm sure that there's always you know, a few good account executives who will spend a lot of time and will know exactly what to look at when they have a qualified opportunity or a qualified inbound let's say lead or something like that, they will spend time on that target account and they will die and they will do a lot of research there. What we're talking about is actually something that should happen earlier as a part of developing that pipeline. So account executives are really good, but they are focusing on active pipeline and I'm talking about a step before and this step is usually supposed to be done by the BDRs SDRs, and some companies that actually have account based marketing staff have actually team members they're doing part of that research. And then it's kind of I think the biggest problem is that there is no standard there is no standardized process. And the biggest problem with that is not that we are such stickler for you know, having a checklist, but it's really about what is the actual information that we are looking at that we're looking for, What do we need to know about those accounts? And as important, what are we going to do with that information? Because I've seen a lot of times what happens is that you know, you know, maybe a consulting company comes in or they hear about it Okay, we should do more research and personalize more. But what really happens is that they start with that research, they uncover a lot of interesting information, but then okay, what do we do with that? I think that's also important to basically connect the dots between that research and actually what you're doing with that, so that it actually starts making sense that you're putting that in practice. So standardized process. What is the information that we that we are looking for and why? Second, how are we doing that? Is it just pure purely based on what the databases and technology, like tools like deep research from tragedyp or you know click can do for us and find out in a quote unquote scalable way, And like where is this information stored? Like is this information that you know? Very frequently it might be in that clay table, or it might be at the best case, you know, some of the data might end up in the CRM. But in most cases, what is missing is a kind of a three hundred and sixty view of that account because there is very frequently some information that marketing has in their system. There is some information that sale sales might have in their tools. Maybe even a lot of times I've seen like sales team to having each salesperson having their own spreadsheet or a document for each account that they're researching, and maybe some information in the c is in the CERRRAM. And these silos also create this what we call account blindness. Right, So what do you look for how you're going to use it? Is it limited to what the technology can find out in a quote unquote scalable way, and whether you have one place where you're actually collecting all of that information. And then I mentioned already the way that it's being used very frequently in low efficacy a count research approaches. What we're basically looking for is to get some insight about that target account so that we can say, hey, Andrey, I see that you're focusing on training client teams through full funnel academy. Right, And then basically they mean it's true, it's personalized. It's true, right, but really what you see there as a third sentence, I've built an AI system that delivered ten to twenty qualified meetings a month, which is the pitch of the product that doesn't change. So it's not like I have a solution to a problem. No, I have a solution. I have a hammer and everything looks like a nail, and I don't care. I just want to attract your attention with that first sentence. But then I'm going to pitch you the unrelated meeting. So I love how John Miller explains this. He says, now each prospect gets a uniquely personalized, uniquely irrelevant email in their inbox, which is really what this is if you look at it right. So how does it Where does this come from? A lot of it comes from actually from the technology providers out Please correct me if I'm wrong. If there is anybody who is attending this, like who hasn't heard about Clay or maybe GTM Engineering. They are like very hot terms about you know, AI agents that are you know, running the SDR motion and replacing whole teams and doing all these research and personalized outreach. They're different angles to the same story, which is the story that we're sitting here. Essentially, Okay, let's get some information and then use that in the same old way, in the same all outbound way, trying to make the first part of the email, let's say, more personalized, but still basically doing the same for everybody. So a lot of the marketing, a lot of marketing dollars have went into you know, promoting tools like that like Clay, and they have a huge community of people who are, you know, sharing recipes for Clay et cetera. And we we are, we love the tool, we are using it ourselves. We there is a lot of use for the tool itself. That tool itself is not a problem at all. So please don't get me wrong. When I'm not here trying to beat down on Clay, I'm just on the contrary.
Speaker 2: On the contrary, it's an amazing tool that is completely miss misused to this.
Speaker 1: Being misused by a lot of people exactly exactly so, and it's it's it's a piece of the puzzle. That's how you need to treat it. So what does a good account research look like? High efficacy is basically, first of all, you need to understand what are the actual research questions. What we always like to do is we like to sit down with an account exact I also love to start with the sales director and then sit down with actual accounting executives and just take one specific account and just ask them basically, if you had to pitch this account tomorrow, if you had to bet your commission on this account, what would you like to know? And then show me also step by step, just take us through this process. What are the questions that you will need to answer about this account? What are the things that you would like to know to be able to prepare one hundred percent personalized pitch if you like to also be able to evaluate whether it's worth patting information on this account. Right, and so, usually when you start going through one account and start digging deep, you may uncover like ten fifteen different research questions. You know, and you mentioned some of them that are more about qualifications and signals, like, you know, are they maybe are they hiring a specific role? Maybe if your solution is linked to specific regulations, then specifical locations may makes sense. Other locations may make no sense. Or specific location states countries are really interesting right now because they have changing regulations. Maybe I took that example too far. You will be looking at things like basically how maybe how the team is structured. You will be looking at the company news specific and when we say company news or updates, it's not about just like collecting the latest updates about the company, but you're looking about specific initiatives. So let's say you are selling a retail solution, and you know that the pain that you're solving is really very big for those retail chains who are opening new locations, while you may be looking for an announcement of new locations being built on new acquisitions from that target account. So when I say company news, I mean the specific information that you can find the companies. And maybe the way that I should have explained it is that there is a research question are they opening a new location? And then there is like the source where can we find that information? Is that information that we should find out on the website in the company news? Should we google that company? Should we google interviews from the executives you know on podcasts or in press? And also very important is not to disregard the information that you can basically only collect from the inside, information which it can basically only collect from people who work in that company or maybe from common connections. Right. So sometimes there is an important piece of information that you need to know that will only will only be able to find that out by asking a question of somebody who works in that company. So the one last part that I wanted to mention here is has to do with the the removing the account blindness or collecting all the information about them on account in one place. So what we always document is the questions, Okay, why what is actually the information that you're trying to find out? Then? Why why are we going to use this? Why is this important? How do we find that information? Where do we look for it? Is it the information that we need to ask when you speak to the prospect that the event, or maybe it's something you can ask in a different way. I think Andrew you'll mentioned those examples. And how should we store that information? Is there a custom field in the CRNG that they should fill out, or should we sort it in the account scorecard note or whatever you call it in your CERRRAM Usually like keep them in the serum. And once you know that, then I think again, maybe will talk about this more, But only then it actually makes sense to try to deploy tools like Clay or other AI or other tools to get some of that information. But then you know exactly what it is that you're looking for, you know the source, you know how you will use it, and also you have a quality benchmark. You can check whether what the tool will produce is complete enough, will give you quality information, will even be right, because we all know that very frequent, I mean doing the country such I've seen a lot of hallucinations. I've seen like a lot of accounts being selected. Oh they're doing this, and when you dig deeper, you see this is news from five years ago. Although explicitly said I only want news from the last year, No, it's gonna you know it, it's gonna still dig up the news for five years. Anyhow, without going into more t I think I cover kind of the main points about the country research and maybe you can share the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would just also highlight the usage, right, Like that's why we'll all previously we discuss this philosophy of different lists, and when you have accounts in future pipeline and active focus lists, having this fundamental information would actually drive your next step because in ABM there are no linear playbooks, especially when you move accounts to active focus where you want to create opportunity, you need to leverage the momentum and listic like all this information that is available of accounts, not just saying oh but I read that in the playbook it says I need to send just an email or whatever. Somebody designed the linear playbooks. No way you're not going to do this every single now when account is engaged and you want to create sells opportunity, and we're talking about big deals, right, Let's be honest, we're not talking about seven fifteen dollars lives. So the entire point is, Okay, knowing this, how are we going to use this? Is there any piece of content I can send? Is there anything that I I potentially can leverage? Who is going to connect with whom or contact whom? Right? That is? That's that is the essence. So with that being said, the count research is not used only for personalized content outreach. Though you can always say if you have let's say low tier I mean by price and level product, you have accounts with the lower deal value, you can't do the let's say standard outbound, more personalized et cetera. We're not talking about this. That's absolutely fine, right, but when it comes to the big deal send, when it comes to a BM, this is not what you're supposed to do. Now, how we're going to fix it? This part like already covered in pretty much detail. So the key point is that you need to have a standardized process obviously for different use cases of a different products the questions. The information you're going to collect would be different, and maybe with different regional teams, that would be a few adoptions. Right, you might need to make some changes to the information you are collecting or the sources where you need to look at. But the entire point is that you need to have this process in place, and anybody in your team could efficiently run this process, let's say eighty percent accuracy. This is the key if this If you don't have this in place, forget about successful scaling. It would be all about This is an essential step in a perationionalizing ABM, right, creating this documentation. So this is one of the core points because then later, for example, depending on who owns a count research that's also to be defined as a part of the process SDRs or maybe you have a count researchers whoever, Right, you can evalate if they are doing the whole research according to your standard or they are just part of it whatever they want to do or whatever it seems easier for them to do. And next you need to define these playbooks that could leverage this account research aside from aside from just this outbound the example that highlighted to you, because it's fine. It's like, it's like what we said, the personalization is there, the research was done that we're not only consulting company will also have full funnal academy, right and courses. So it doesn't change the fact that it's absolutely relevant.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So a couple of things right here, just two examples. And again, if you guys are interested into this, you can dive into our academy or ABM course our favorite examples. Personalized content, purpose or what we call the account love letters, your purpose, the account research, and you create a nice piece of content about the company you have just researched. Here you can see one of the screenshots posted on the sales profile. You shouldn't necessarily be doing this, right, you can if you want. You can create just even a personalized the mail saying hey, this is what I was recently reading about your company. Love this and that's like this short story could resonate with you, right, It could be even published as kind as a post on your company's page if you want. The entire point is that it's not about like, oh, I have just researched this company. They are so miserable, like and the only way for them to exist in twenty twenty six, is just by buying our product, and especially the city or put your target buyer persona. This person is struggling with ABCD. I don't know how they are surviving up today. It's just the only way to move forward is by buying our product. No, you turn it into a nice story and nice collateral, highlight and positive things and you use it as an opportunity to start conversation. A content distribution, we always say quite often we have these discussions with the marketing team about what is the best channel to distribute your content? But we need to flip that question and think about why we create the content. Do we create the content to influence our buyers? Right to create to attract the attention to make sure that they they would consider our product when they would be shopping. Let's put it like this, Is this the main goal or we are just creating it to hit you know, some ranking on Internet, et cetera. Now, obviously we are creating it to influence our buyers. And if that's true, now, the second question that I'm asking who has direct access to our target bears hands simple selves. So sells is your best distribution channel? And we need to explain them how a COUNT research might lead to pick up certain relevant contents pieces that you guys have already I mean your marketing right have already created and you can say we're doing this was what all the time, just as park the conversations and then you like in this case, hey, I know that you mentioned I have seen that you mentioned ABM is on your ADAR. So we created this cheat sheet with our different ABM guides so it might be so you might enjoy it, so you might find it available. Right, This is how you move from a COUNT research to pitch, to a COUNT research to conversation. So these are the keys, right, think about beyond the outbound outreach and how to leverage it to make minionful connections and conversations with your target bars. So next one is the pier engagement. Let's let's let's move forward with this.
Speaker 1: One, all right. So when it comes to buyer engagement, the low efficacy version again I mentioned this earlier. We get invited a lot of times to help companies improve the programs that's underperforming, and it kind of looks very frequently like the graph on the right hand side. You know where you have we mentioned this kind of a wish list, a large list of accounts, where you have the main focus of engagement being okay, how can we do more, how can we make it more efficient, how can we make it more scalable? And then in the past, you know, scraping lists and sending a lot of emails, running some ads on the whole group, which is kind of showing the same content to everybody, and in a lot of case from the marketing perspective, actually focused on whether that's some content downloads or getting people to sign up to the webinar or event, and then sending those leads to sales who then in turn run can kind of pre programmed sales sequences to try to book meetings. And what usually happens is that marketing does create some initial engagement. There are some mqo's marketing qualified leads or accounts in some cases they call them, but there is not a lot of pipeline being created. The problem is that either the same message everybody or as we saw, a uniquely irrelevant message goes to everybody now these days, but not a lot has changed. And yeah, like I said, marketing is doing the Okay, we have a lead sales deal with that, how does it a better version look like a high adcacy version. Well, in addition to doing the marketing activities, you're doing also manual engagement by sales. It's really we mentioned several times that first of all, we know that in the target accounts we have multiple buyers. We need to engage them. We are not only selling to one person, we are selling to multiple people. We need to engage different people in those target accounts. They are different they they have different roles, they have different KPIs. We need to approach them differently. That's all role of sales to do this engagement. There's a lot of opportunity to work together with marketing and leverage some of the marketing touch points for sales engagement. You have here a list on the last point that in for example, sharing content that has been prepared by marketing. Potentially for example, engagement around the events pre events, like people who register in the event, I can reach out to them ask and what they want to learn. I can reach out after the event using bridjectivities, but also regular commenting if these buers are present on social and other non sales touches. So this is the part that is most frequently missed, and this is like a non negotiable part. This is the biggest difference between those programs that work work is exactly having sales being engaged at that level. This changes every You always see a much much bigger improvement in terms of commersion rates and then inter when it comes to marketing, I think Andre already mentioned this. Our goal is not to capture leads. Our goal is to educate our buyers and engage them and create engagement opportunities for sales. So we need to focus on creating content that is relevant for those target accounts. Whether that's relevant their for the account clusters that we're focusing on, whether that's relevant for the specific account in the account cloud letters. As the example the Andre showed. Based on the research, this is one big part that we need to focus on. We need to make sure that the content that we are creating is not just optimized let's say for the website or the distribution we are marketing channels, but it's actually optimized for distribution. We have sales profiles, for example, helping sales create content for their profiles on social so that they can actually share it a meaningful like real content that is on the level that buyers get some insight, not you know, the top ten ways to build a mobile app or something like that. And then also another role of marketing is to help with engaging maybe with industry read leaders or partners, so people that are buyers all ready trust and helping sales in one on one with preparing buyer enablement content. As you can see, they are actually different multiple touch points. I think it's important to realize that this is multi channel. You're using social email calls, you're using events. It's both sales and marketing touch points. And I think and you will explain this, these touch points are connected.
Speaker 2: So let's move to how to fix it part again. The first thing is that you shouldn't create the playbooks in silence. What we have abserved, especially that's happening in bigger organizations when they invite us and they say, okay, so we designed perfect ABI on program like according to the best practices, but sales are sabotage in it. They are not doing what we are telling them to do. And the answer is very simple. The cells are responsible to create sales opportunities. And then somebody who doesn't own pipeline and is not getting is not let's say responsible forever, and the targets comes and says, here's what you're supposed to do. It's not working that way and just better than you don't even try, it will fire back. So on contrary, what makes sense when you qualify the accounts? Right, there are tons of this preparation job. This is essential. Next step is defining the patterns of how your buyers are discovering the vendors, how they engage in these different vendors, and then you define what would be the best channels and what would be the best activities. Two weeks ago we hosted an episode with Elric Leglar, who used to be enterprise account by sales Wrap at Chili Piper as well our great partners, So if you guys didn't tune in, I dropped the link to this episode. In the chat, we'll covered lots of different activities that kind of sales reps could be doing. So just don't want to dive deeper. The key point is that you need to CoCreate and you need to not again avoid opportunistics incoing here. Just think about the real bar persona and then to find the right channels. Should it be ready, should it be linked and should it be a specific community. There is no let's say one channel fits all because by the fault, somebody's like by the fault. Lots of marketers think about linked now quite often you should take completely different channels to create your buyers and then co create playbooks together with cells. What can we do right? What marketing can do, what sales can do, and another important point, leverage existing programs if you're running field events, when not making it account based event, tailoring it to specific set of accounts, and making that marketing helps was let's say air cover right, promoting it by ads maybe newsletter sales and sales try to send direct invites to that event? And next, what should happen after this event? Right? The worst thing that you can do, I mean not the worst thing is not sending any fall ups, but sending generic fall up. Hey, you attended the webinar or field event. Let's have a damma is another worst way to do this? Right? You find how you go into segment accounts after the event. Also define how can you engage with them during the event, how you can what we call progressive profile, and how can you uncover some you know, important points that you can you can't identify through the let's say desk research, through web research, et cetera. And what could be good activities that you can do after the event, Because again, when people sign up for the event, it doesn't mean that it's the buying intent. Again, we have today maybe one hundred fifty people who have signed up for this live episode. But isn't a plan intent. No, it's all It's all important for you because you want to maybe hear from us, get some new some new ideas, some best practices, how to to refine your ABM understands the gaps, et cetera. Right, maybe the binding intent will come in future. But if like after this podcast episode will start pitching. Everybody was like, hey, you attended this live podcast, go and book a call with us. I dubt that it will create a good momentum fast. So this is the key. Right again, forget about linear playbooks, but think about how can we incorporate everything that we are supposed to do it. You're going to produce a big market research on article. How can we involve our customers maybe co create with them, How can we involve sales for the distribution, et cetera. So everything that you have already planned should be in corporated in the in the ABM. Right, this is another key to success. And I know that we're almost out of time, so we'll just accelerate here and try to cover ever in the next ten minutes. So the next block is about the program efficient So let's quickly share this well.
Speaker 1: Before I know that some people will just need to log out on the hour, which is which is coming up. Let us know what you thought so far about this episode. Really appreciate the feedback can be just a quick thumbs up, turns down or anything they have really appreciated, and thanks for coming if you need to look off, And indeed, let's cover the rest. The next point that we see very frequently undermining the programs is how the programs are being evaluated, how the programs are being measured, or how their efficiency is being evaluated. And you know, we know the standard metrics that are being used, you know m QLs. And on the one hand we have the marketing qualified leads, and then on the other hand we have calls and pipeline and they only tell part of the story, and especially if you're just starting a new program, they don't tell the whole story. And also they don't tell you where you can improve. So let's look at a more efficient program, sorry, more efficient way of measuring Ibian programs. Excuse me? Is you need to have leading indicators. You need to know the activities, the actions that you can control. These are the things that you can control. How many accounts did I research and engage? How many did you go through the full sequence? How many content pieces have I created or personalized content pieces, et cetera, et cetera without knowing that. And it's not about you know, measuring the efficiency of that team so that you can say, hey, you're doing good, you're doing bad, or linking some sort of compensation to that. It's actually just to get the insight into what we are able, what is our quote unquote velocity, what we are able to do as a team, and whether that's enough for us. So if later we are going to say, hey, you know what, we weren't able to engage that many accounts, well, let's look like, let's look at what you've actually done and if we can see that, you know what, we actually have only sourced properly ten accounts and we've only engaged with five of them, you can't really expect to get much of that program. But instead we can like dive deeper and start to understand why weren't you not able to commit more time. Maybe the team was being pulled in too many directions, maybe they didn't get a chance to work on the program, et cetera. Now you can have a reasonable conversation about that and actually fixed the bottleneck instead of just saying, hey, the program has failed. That shut this thing down. The second group of metrics is all about the next level of the kind of the dose that lag behind, which includes you know, how many of these accounts have been engaged, how many conversations will be able to start, like force those buyers, how many committing members will be able to engage per account, the compenetration, and then finally also obviously the pipeline and revenue metrics, how many discovery calls, what is the pipeline that is being generated. But it's also important to measure the stuff that you can control and the whole journey, because then you will know also where you need to focus in order to improve your program, and do you want to share how you should go about fixing this?
Speaker 2: Sure, so a couple of things. What flood brieflyme measure right, it's important to identify the core, leading and legan indicators that you're going to track quickly and our best recommendation. Don't try to immediately set it up in technology and CRM. It will create lots of mess. It will you'll definitely spend lots of unnecessary hours to have discussions with your CRM or re WEPS manager, et cetera. So start with a simple dashboard where you can track the metrics on a weekly basis together with sales. Right, and again it's up to you what metrics to put. The core point is that these are the jointly agreed and approved metrics either the number of pieces of content created for sales, number of personalized content apps, number of specific touch points right like for example, event invites or whatever. The leading indicators here are the activities that are under your control, something that you can do and legan indicators. This is basically the market reaction. Right, people sign up for the webinar. This is the leg and indicator. People are visiting your HINGH tent pages, I mean the website pages. This is the leg and indicator. People book the discovery call. This is the leg and indicator. It's not that we control and I know some some unfortunately some marketers put it in an opposite way, but in reality, something that we all need to accept in complex bit of the market, and we are not controlling the buyer journey and the buyer's decisions. We can't predict when somebody will actually book a discovery call or become a sales opportunity. I don't know. It's like you can make phocasts, But the reality is simple, we can't really. But what we can control is what we can do to influence the decisions right. And that's why it's important to help both leading and leging indicators, because then you can you will see the correlation between your effort and the results. And if you're spending just one hour a week or well, it gives it gives you a good food fassot. For example, if your sales rep spands on a BM one hour a week and you're getting these results, what might happen if sales wrap would spend ten hours a week? Right, what will be our leading and plaguing indicators and how it's impacting our pipeline? And also what is essential to define the weekly targets. It's something that's again for many teams, it's going completely in a completely ad hoc way. Will do the account research this week? Well, fine, for how many accounts? How many accounts we are going to research? Oh, for sure, we'll invite our accounts for this field event. Okay, fine, but how many? That is a simple basically one of the best quotes that Peter Druker wants shared it right, what does not measure it can be controlled. So that's that the reality. Right, always set up these weekly targets and have these agreements, and lastly install regular weekly plan and and review meetings. This is the key because if you see that a metrics, you don't need to wait three months just to see that the program is not performing well. Right a months you need if you see that assumption is not going well and if you are not hitting your kind of your success criteria, the metrics that the goals that you set up for yourself, then you need to do something about this, right, And most teams they never have this. Everything is happening in silas. Okay, this is the share at least of accounts will do sumthings like as market and sales will do something and then we'll figure out if it's working or not working, and maybe let's just create the dashboards and the technology that we have that will demonstrate some kind of influence on pipeline, et cetera. But this is this is the this is the sure fire away to a BM if you want to make it work, make it tangible, agree on the targets and set up this weekly plan and and review meetings, because we know for sure every week would be different in terms of capacity. You might be preparing for the event, you might be you might have a new product release or lunch. You sales rep might book a few new discovery calls and need to prepare. But so the numbers would vary. But the key point is that you agree right what is essential and your planet. Now we have two last points about playable caorchestration and the conversions, which I think we can cover really quickly because it's the part of what we have alreadistered.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to play orchestration, there is one thing that I always see when I, you know, work with a team who is already implementing their version of a BM, and I see like this big spreadsheet plan where everything is outlining detail. You know, this is what this team needs to this is what the other he needs to do. This is there's kind of a master plan and the assumption is that we are planning campaigns before the campaign's run. So we prepare everything and then we launch the campaign. And that's basically the orchestration. And then we also tell sales, oh, by the way, when this happens, you will get you an account assigned and these are the things that you need to do. In other words, playbook confistration is static, it's upfront defined what needs to happen. Usually it is standard activities such as you know, marketing is going to send these emails, it's going to run these ads promoting our ebooks, why papers, whatnot. We already mentioned that, and then sales is going to do you know a number of engagements on those target accounts. And the planning is kind of like done upfront. It's communicated and that's basically it maybe the and we made check in once or twice during the campaign and do a report at the end. The way to orchestrate this and get better results is you need to do this together with sales. This needs to be live in dynamic. I always remember a live podcast that we did with one of our clients and she was head of content. Actually that was very interesting and she said that. We asked her, what was the biggest difference for you, and she said, the biggest difference for me was that I was previously used to having a quarterly plan for my content, you know, my content calendar, and that was it, and I was just working against the calendar. Here. I had to be much more lean and much more dynamic from week to week. I was adapting to what the sales actually needed. What's happening with those accounts each are the accounts that are engaging is what are their needs and their challenges? Maybe we should create content about that. Maybe we should create you know, one on one content for that account that you're trying to engage in right now. This is the level of orchestration that should happen on AGM, because then you're actually doing stuff that is relevant for those accounts that are they are engaged, that they are more engaged, that you should be focusing on more. That's why these weekly planning meetings are so important, and that's why it's important that during those week meetings you're actually planning how to do this account development that's a very short intro because we covered a lot of the details before. But maybe Andre, you can share a few more words about fixing it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, the first one and the most important one the fine and real team's capacity and the responsibilities. I mean, you can plan a lot if you want, but you can't actually execute it. Then it's a very tough time. Right, define what is realistic who will be a part of this ABM program and what is the realistic time commitment? Because when we're here a question how many accounts should be a part of this program? Then we asked to follow up questions how much time sales trap is going to spend on ABM and how many buyers or account should we engage Because if in one account we need to engage twenty people, right, and sales rep can spend whatever to hours a weekend ABM, then our account list would be maybe in the best case scenario, five six, seven accounts maximum. Right, So this is kind of this is the entire story. Everything that you are going to plan should be aligned with the team's capacity. The next point create a quarter program. Again, I'm just sharing the screenshot so from the course, So if you guys just to show you the videos. If you want to dive deep into this part, so let's say program orchestration, you can just go through it and moditail in the course, build a calendar. Right this the entire point that one playbook should be built on another. You're going to do the market research. Right after the market research, you might plan the field event or webinar where you're going to release it. After this webinar, you're going to produce a block article that you can distribute, et cetera, et cetera. The key point is just to avoid these diegic playbooks. Well, okay, we're running the center cover and that's it, and then maybe somewhere in the quarter will host this webinar and transfer all attendees to sales. Now, the entire point is that you build a gradual development and how each like in that timeline timeframe, all these activities should be connected. That would be the key. And the last thing is planning this weekly success metrics. What tells you that you had a good week? Right, you're setting up not as or somebody else should give you the benchmarks or whatever the weekly targets. You define it for yourself. You're hosting the webinar or field event, what criteria, what number of target accounts, target virus most specifically that signed up for that event would make it a success. This is what you define together and then you start working on it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: This is the key for everything that you're doing. You then break it down into weekly targets and you start working on it as the team. This is how you actually move the needle instead of doing opportunistic approaches and calling it a BM. Right, that's the key. And the last point is the conversion benchmarks. Maybe just to wrap it up very quickly, is it's very simple. What we'll have to track is account to pipeline ratio. Not very let's say famous metrics, but the entire point of this metric is looking at how many accounts you actually included into your ABM program and how many of them became sales opportunities. If your conversion rate from account to pipeline is billow one percent, this is the law efficacy. If it's in between five to fifteen percent, this is the efficacy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And this is kind of the benchmark that we feel asked where it's coming from, It's just coming from all successful ABM programs. We're now the difference between unsuccessful and successful, right, Maybe the best one that we had was something with FM track was test trial around twenty twos.
Speaker 1: Plenty like also with Cross Knowledge Valley. Out of one hundred and fifty accounts, I think it was like twenty six percent that she was able to engage in multiple meetings. Not necessarily concretely pipeline, but it was about twenty percent.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, and that's it. So we gave you kind of the our benchmarks, not the industry benchmarks, but something that we are seeing from the let's say successful and unsuccessful ABM programs. We highlighted five core areas where the companies what they call ABM. We'll share it with you the setup that leads to law efficacy and the setup that leads to high efficacy and give you actionable tools. And again, if you'd like to dive deep into this, you can check our full funnel ABM playbook or our full funnel academy. I dropped also a link to our full funnel dot slash podcast page where you can find the links to the platforms like Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, et cetera, and where you can listen to all the previous recordings and also get a notification when this recording will be available. Thank you so much. It was amazing day with you guys. Fantastic questions, great engagement and sel in one week take care everybody, Thank you, thank you,