Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Policy and Rights.
Speaker 3: Shows.
Speaker 2: Welcome to policy that human joys.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to Policy and Rights here at the Visions Media Radio. I'm your host, Michael Clarks. In this next episode, well let's get down to it. Basically, we're gonna hear from David eb as we're talking about cleaner energy and the president of BC Hydro, the province's energy company, is stepping down and there's going to be a new president who's going to actually step in, and we're going to hear more about how clean projects and clean energy for the state of British Columbia is actually going to come about. And during this press conference, David eb was also asked about some some of the projects that are happening to on a federal level that to build a strong Canada and to help Canada be united in a lot.
Speaker 2: Of different ways.
Speaker 1: And one of the things that is going to be brought up is about how the federal government is supporting a subsidy for lower very fairs and toll bridges in the Atlantic region. Atlantic Canada is getting a subsidy so that so that people who live and commute away in and away from uh maritime provinces and especially Pei are getting a subsidy for their berries and they're getting a subsidy for their tolls, then it makes sense in a lot of different ways. It doesn't actually make sense.
Speaker 2: And but.
Speaker 1: Davidbe brought up brought up something that is true, and Daniel Smith has also brought this up about how British Columbia and Alberta are taxed to as to equalize things out so that the commerce that is brought about in two of the most commercially productive provinces in Canada that eat an equalization that is paid back into the federal government so that they can produce these programs to help the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada provinces bear out better, so that so that these tolls can be lowered and so that the fairies ferry bears can so be lowered. Also so the folks in British Columbia we also have ferries, and that there are no substats. And in fact, when it came time to actually have a new ferry built for BC Ferries, that they actually had to go to an Asian company instead of finding one a shipbuilding company here in Canada to build a ferry to support those needs, in which case also meant that there weren't any subsidies being put forward to help purchase that.
Speaker 2: Very awesome. There are also, of course, other questions that.
Speaker 1: Were asked of David eb because they asked his opinion around the August first impending tariff uh Trump tariffs as as they are are supposed to be put in place on August first, and what it leads us into. Also, we're going to hear from Stephen Harper as he talks about from from the standpoint of a former prime minister, as you remember he was the Prime minister before Justin Trudeau, and he talks about the importance of having a good relationship with the United States, as he has has talked in in Saskatoon and a Midwestern legislative conference, talking about how it is important to have that good commerce relationship with our neighbors to the south, which it does.
Speaker 2: It is important, but it shouldn't be so important.
Speaker 1: That it hurts the Canadian economy and it keeps the Canadian economy completely dependent upon what is happening in the United States. So yeah, on one hand, yeah, we do they actually need to make sure that we play nice with our neighbors. We play nice with with with Mexico, we play nice with with the United States, and that there's a line of relations because we need to be allied because we're neighbors. It doesn't vode too well to have an enemy be your neighbor.
Speaker 2: Just ask Russia in Ukraine that.
Speaker 1: Question, and I'm sure that they will people will answer that it will be better at him.
Speaker 2: Our neighbors are our allies.
Speaker 1: Where a slightly different example of that also asked Israel and Palestine. What it is like to have your enemy be your neighbor. So it's good that we have our ally be our neighbor, and that be the United States, and also that being Mexico, and and and to be a good neighbor. That also means issues around the Arctic region and keeping are part of the Pacific and the Atlantic safe and making it easy and accessible for tourists and trade to actually happen by by building these bridges and ferries and everything that that link Canada together. The more the more linked together Canada is, the easier it is for us to trade among the provinces, but it also easy to get trade back out of the country, so that commerce is easy to deal with, so so yeah, we're it is a good thing. We're also going to hear from Prince Edward Island as there is a press conference about those tolls and those ferries, and we're going to hear from the Premiere of Prince Edward Island as he is internally grateful for what the federal government is doing to produce funding the helps lower those tolls and those ferry affairs so that they can get Prince Edward Island can actually get commerce in and commuters in and out of their province because there are people that actually work. They may live in Prince Edward Island, but they may work and say Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Quebec, so they need they need that access. It's understandable. And it was also a campaign promise to build that sort of infrastructure for the Atlantic region of Canada. So it is a promise made in Prince Edward Island and a promise kept to Prince Edward Island by Mark Harney. And you are also going to hear of course Christia Freeland as she also is discussing the importance of a strong Atlantic Canada.
Speaker 2: So it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Speaker 1: It is a very good thing to subsidize these particular right bears and tolls so that people can move back and forth easily and affordable. But at the same time, when we look back across at British Columbia, should there not be a subsidy to help people go back and forth from the Gulf Islands to the mainland British Columbia so that there is easily it's easy to move trade, it is easy to move commerce back and forth and people in commuters back and forth across the Gulf area of British Columbia between those islands in British Columbia for the same exact reasons that it's happening on the Atlantic, should the Pacific get that's exact treatment. And it is a really good question and it would be a good answer from Mark Carney of how he plans to help British Columbia solve some of the problems of committing back and forth. So why don't we go ahead and we're going to start listening. We're going to start off with why we need a good relationship with the United States. In the opinion of the former Prime Minister, Conservative Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: Stephen Harper, Good morning to all of you.
Speaker 4: I am pleased to join all of my colleagues in the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan in welcoming our legislative friends and colleagues from across the region too, siss to our beautiful city of Saskatoon, to this one of a kind event, the seventy ninth Annual Meeting of the Council of State Governments by National Midwestern Legislative Conference. As you know, this meeting has become an invaluable way for the leaders of our provinces and our states to learn together, to learn from one another, to develop genuine friendships, and to build lasting and mutual beneficial partnerships. Our two countries and the eleven states and four Canadian provinces in our Midwest Legislative Conference have a special relationship, and this meeting helps to strengthen it. Ladies and gentlemen, few if any people understand the Canadian US relationship and the importance of it more than my friend, the right Honorable Stephen J.
Speaker 5: Harper.
Speaker 4: We are extremely grateful and pleased to have our former Prime Minister here to kick off our meeting, to share his unique insights and to engage in a conversation with US. Mister Harper served as Prime Minister of Canada from two thousand and six to twenty fifteen. During that time, he helped lead the deepening ties between the United States and Canada while navigating our two countries relationship through a period mark by complex geopolitical, economic, and security challenges. He also is an acclaimed author book on hockey, a business leader, sought after speaker on geopolitical trends and political leadership. Joining mister Harper is another good friend of mine, Victor Thomas, who will moderate our conversation this morning. Born and raised right here in Saskatchewan, mister Thomas serves as President and CEO of the Canada India Business Council and has long been one of the country's most respected business leaders, particularly in such areas as technology and innovation and international trade and investments. Ladies and gentlemen of the Midwest Legislative Conference, please join me in welcoming the right Honorable Stephen J. Harper and mister Victor Thomas.
Speaker 6: Sir, you start off, and everyone start centag.
Speaker 7: I just quit when I'm ahead.
Speaker 6: So we heard today there's a premier, there's an ambassador the state legislators. There is minister speakers, but one right honorable, and so I'm just going to call you mister Prime minister.
Speaker 7: Appreciate that. That's what we love about the Americans. You keep the titles. Great to be here, always, great to be back in Saskatchewan, which in my political lifetime the last generation since two thousand and seven, has become I think, probably the most dynamic part of the country. Saskatoon the business capital. Great to be here, Thanks for your words, say your worship. Thanks for the introduction, Ken much appreciate it. It's great to see you again. I saw you in Calgary, I saw you in India. I'm seeing you here and I'm hearing your one year old daughter. I hope I can improve her mood and what I say.
Speaker 6: She's excited to hear you. So, mister Harper, mister Prime Minister. As I was prepared for this today, I actually thought about the conversation I had with President lie of Taiwan last year and I got to meet him, and this was just shortly after his inauguration, and he made the comment to me, where are you from? And I actually thought he'd be briefed. You know, I'm from Canada, but maybe he got confused when he looked at me. I was too tall, maybe too brown. But he then quickly said, you have good neighbors, And I just got a glimpse of so many parts of the world do not have good neighbors. And I just thought of the plight that he experiences. And then I actually got back to our amazing neighbor to the south of US, and how good a neighbor we actually do have when you look at the world, And so I actually wanted you know, you are right, honorable, you're Prime Minister. You got to have a great working relationship with President Bush, President Obama. Maybe give us some stories or insights to five hundred of your closest friends here.
Speaker 7: Of course, So yeah, no, look, it's interesting you say that we we sometimes forget it because we take it for granted. You know, Prime Minister Netanya, who once said to me Canta is the best position in the world in terms of security, oceans on three sides, the United States of America on the other says, now you compare my position. We won't get into that, but you know it. You usually be reminded that I've always thought one of the great assets of this country is the is our you know, having the United States is our our great you know, really our only neighbor and our critical partner in ally, I think it's been a great asset for this country. I hope that will continue. But look, it's always something we shouldn't we shouldn't take for granted. You asked me about the two presidents. Actually, I just completed a draft of my memoirs. Now. I have to be honest. All the best stories can't go in, they really can't.
Speaker 2: That's why we're here.
Speaker 7: I think it someday maybe I should just do like Margaret that you're writeing for when I die. But look, I'll just say this, and I've said it before. President Bush, President Obama, very different people, different agendas, but you know we were ninety nine percent aligned because Canada and the US are aligned on the important global issues. And you know, I was very different people, but I was never in a room a summit where the American president, either one of them, was not one of the best, if not the best, briefed and articulate people in the room. And we did some I thought we did some very good things together. You know, Canada was you know, at the time of President Bush. He was obviously a president focused on security, especially after nine to eleven. In my time, we were a significant contributor to the mission in Afghanistan, the Multilateral Mission, and unfortunately, as some of you may remember, at one point we had the highest pgapita casualty rate of any allied country there. So it was a you know, it was a difficult but a meaningful contribution that that we made. President Obama came after the global financial crisis, more focused on the economy. We did a number of great things on you know, with Transpacific partnership negotiations, border negotiations. You know, it was actually a Canadian who under President Obama, it was actually a Canadian commander who led the mission to Libya. And of course we worked with President Obama very closely on the global response to a bull in West Africa, making sure it did not become a global pandemic. So you know, look, we just had and I always looking I always say this to my Canadian colleagues, and particularly first minute, it's you know, we're always going to have irridance between our countries. But what's really important is, I think whether the United States likes it or not, the United States has a leadership role in the world, and it's really important as a Canadian that before you get to the list of grievances you see, you know, how can we be of assistance in that leadership role.
Speaker 6: So you spoke of at some of these multilateral events. You know, you've been to many many of those over your your tenure, and you even hosted a G eight and a G twenty. Where does the work actually get done? Does it happen on the sidelines or actually in the room?
Speaker 7: So I think there's a misunderstanding about summits. Generally, there's kind of an expectation. It's kind of a media thing. You have a summit, and like, what are the delivererals? What have you decided? What's happening? And you know, and sometimes those things happen. But I think the truth of the matter is that for a lot of our summits, especially those with our closest partners and allies, I actually think there's way too much emphasis on, you know, some specific achievement. The real purpose is meeting and being in contact and discussing ongoing issues and having a close working relationship and understanding with your international partners. I mean obviously. You know, there were times like the global financial crisis when President Bush called us all the White House after that, where you know, people were frantically hammering out plans of action for dealing with that. Most of the time those things are decided beforehand, except you know, some very controversial things which will come up at the meeting at the meeting itself, but I say most of the time, my view of the value of it was really the ongoing working relationship and partnerships.
Speaker 6: I should just remind folks that if those everyone should have an app for this conference and were able to input your questions under this session into the APP, and we'll try to get through to a couple of those near the end. Prime mister Harper, you've been a fierce advocate of free trade throughout your entire career and and have fought almost against protectionism. How do you look at the current world in terms of the protectionistic tendencies that are creeping in? And then two, is free trade now passe?
Speaker 7: Well, look, I'm obviously concerned about what's happening. And look, just to be clear, I wrote about this in my book right here right now. You know, no, there's probably there are very few trade relationships in the world that are purely free trade. You know, countries do want to protect things, they do have national security interests, these sorts of things. But that said, we tried to greatly liberalize trade. And we'll talk maybe a bit later about what we did. In my term of office, we created almost all of Canada's modern trade agreements except us MCA, and look, that has been the basis of post war peace and growing prosperity around the world. Now, I do think some really serious mistakes have been made along the way, and you know, the mistakes along the line of just because you are for liberalized trade, that you know, the assumption that means that any kind of trade deal is a good deal. And the most infamous I don't mind saying is is really the terms on which the West, the United States and ourselves and other allies, the terms on which we admitted China to the World Trade Organization, which essentially allowed China to conduct in the name of free trade and neo mercantilist trade policy. Their policy has not been about the mutual benefits of free trade. It's been about accumulating surpluses at the expense of other countries and using those for geostrategic objectives, competitive objectives, and you know, and that you know when when they can sell to us and we can barely sell them to them, Like, that's not a liberalized trade agreement, and it was a big mistake. And there have been some others. So you know, when President Trump says there's some trade relationships that have to be fixed, some national security considerations have to be brought in, and in particular the China thing, and there's some others. There have to be better reciprocal access. That's that's all true, but you know, should be all under no illusion like I'm I'm an economist, and I'm actually not. You know, my specialty was fiscal policy and economic history and comprehensive protectionism. You know, the idea of using tariff barriers to raise revenue and relocate, comprehensively re reocate industries like this is a failed economic policy where it has been tried, and so I am worried about that general direction. I don't think everybody's going there though, I don't think this country will ever go there.
Speaker 6: So you mentioned your focus on trade and trade deals while you were Prime minister. You know, not everyone's not everyone's always on the same page. How do you balance the interest of the country with the priorities of other nations as you get to those deals.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I'm we're sort of indirectly talking about President Trump in the Art of the Deal, which is a good book, by the way, But you know, actually I did a bunch of in my career, bunch of political deals and trade deals, and now I do business deals, and I actually think I'm a pretty good deal maker. And the key to deal making is when when that's really the key to deal making when I hear people say that their idea of a deal is they can get up on a podium and explain how the other guy lost, Like, that's actually not how you make a deal. I always used to say, and never made a deal with I never made a deal with anybody without first of all, trying to understanding before I got to the bargaining table what the other guy really wanted and needed, and then being able to on the day we announced the deal, political trade whatever, being able to say not just why we won, but why he won to And so I just think that's really that's a really critical lesson that I'm worried is slipping through fingers these days.
Speaker 6: So one of the trade deals you're working on was the Transpecific Partnership, which really ties in a lot of the emerging markets of the world. What's your sense of those is they're really developing and growing.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Look, you know, as you know, what was really funny about this is this, the whole trans Specific Partnership negotiations were driven by the United States, by the Obama administration quite aggressively, to the point where we were compelled to announce the conclusion of the deal during my twenty fifteen federal election campaign. Not ideal timing, but it actually worked out. It actually in the end worked out pretty well. And then of course the US ultimately didn't join. And just to be fair because people say, you know, Trump pulled this out, but actually I think the deal was dead when Hillary Clinton, who was the Democratic nominee the successor of Obama, also came out against the deal. So that kind of killed the United States participation. But to my surprise, what then happened was Prime Minister Abbe, who was the next biggest partner of Japan, he really let it forward and ultimately they you know, basically you know, modified the package for the fact that the United States was no longer in and got it done. That's what they called the cp TPP. So look, I think it's important. It's it's important even if the United States is not in it. It's important to have a liberalized trade area not dominated by China. This was besides the mutual gains from trade. This was one of the geo strategic objectives of the negotiations. And even without the United States, I think it's important to note that even without the United States, other parties Japan, Australia, Canada, et cetera, ultimately recognized that it was necessary for it to go ahead on that basis.
Speaker 6: You mentioned we were in India earlier this year, and you have been in India I think at least once every year since big and more than once, yeah, sometimes several times. So you talk about China and the counterbalance in many is India. Maybe just share what are you why do you keep coming back? Why do you keep going? And then two is what are you most excited about India?
Speaker 7: Well, look, we had a great relationship with India when I was Prime Minister and did the you know, nuclear the uranium sales deal, nuclear cooperation. We had important for the Province of Saskatchewan. We just great relationships with India. And oh why did I keep going? I like to say I went there partly because in India I was admired from my sense of fashion.
Speaker 8: You actually Canadians.
Speaker 7: Canadians although what that's about. But no, look, I go there because look, the world right now, I don't sugarcoat things like the world right now is a pretty troubled place on a lot of fronts geopolitical, environmental, economic, obviously military. There aren't a lot of really really good news stories in the world right now, and one of them is India. You know, India is one of the rare countries democratic countries these days that has, whether you like Modi or do not like Modi, a leader who's in a strong political position and moving his country forward in a very clear direction. And that's not that common these days. It's you know, the Indian economy is booming now, it's very uneven, but overall booming. And I have been saying I was in and I've been saying for twenty years I was a minority twenty years ago, less of a minority now saying that India is the better longer term bet than China, because I just think that over time, democracies create better balance, more inclusive, sustainable growth patterns. That's my view. Nobody thought that twenty years ago. People, I think are starting to come around on that. But it look it's it's it's a booming place. I say, rare in the world, very difficult still to do business in, but a rule of law environment. And I do think longer term, because it is a democratic nation, it will be. It won't be. It will not be an ally like you know, North American Western Europe, but it will be a more aligned country in the future. What I think is going to be an increasingly difficult world.
Speaker 6: You mentioned a fashion and you happen to be at the wedding of the Decade last year in India, maybe just in terms of the geopolitical draw and the business draw to event like that just shows sometimes the difference that you know, India even twenty years ago would have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was at the billion dollar Am Bonnie wedding, and you know, normally going to kind of purely social events is not my thing, but I just couldn't pass this one up. And I've gotten to know the a Bonomies a little bit in in business and actually do some work with their recent institute. It was I look at people, ask you, what's a billion dollar wedding, Like, you know, you can't you have to be there to when they build entire hotels and arenas just for the wedding. But I'll just give you one little flavor, which was when they had the formal I think it was the formal religious ceremony part. And this is the second by the way I went. There was second of three weddings. I was invited the first two. The third one is a small family affair. So I was at the second, which was the biggest one, which is like three or four thousand people, and I'm in this very you know, this kind of VIP area they had for the religious ceremony. And I don't know Ballywood very well, but I thought a couple of seats over, I thought that's a Balllywood Star. I kind of recognized what was so I took out my phone and I googled Balllywood Stars and then I realized every single one of them was sitting around me, every single one, and Kim Kardik a bunch of other people. So anyway, it was it was quite something it was, it's I'm lowering my daughter's expectations though for any kind of wedding.
Speaker 6: Just in another day in the life of mister Prime minister.
Speaker 7: When you look at this is a good thing about being foreign Premnis. You could do this kind of stuff. I couldn't do this as Prime minister. You know, the government would have made me pay for my first my travel and everything.
Speaker 5: But anyway, true.
Speaker 6: So one of the things that's been interesting this this resonates with a lot of legislators here. They feel that they feel that.
Speaker 7: I wanted to be pretty good out of office.
Speaker 5: Actually, no, kid yourself.
Speaker 6: One of the things that's been interesting is that in May, for the four consecutive months, trade with the US has actually gone down from Canada, including that month it went up five point seven percent to other parts of the world. So I want to get your prospective on what the longer term of view in terms of trade from Canada. And then also what would you want to tell our American colleagues here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, really good question. You know, you have to be careful about interpreting too much from month to month data because there's a lot of noise, a lot of natural fluctuation, in that I think we all are aware, certainly anybody in the airline hospitality business is aware of the decline in Canadian vacation travel to the United States. It's been very dramatic. Look, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna put it in this context just so everyone understands. You know, I was, I think it's fair to say, probably the most pro American prime minister Canadian history. And I tell people that if a year ago the government had asked me, you know, President Trump's coming in, he's talking about, you know, big challenges on trade, USMCA tariffs, what would you advise, I would have said a year ago, this is a real opportunity for Canada to really deepen its economic and security partnership with the United States. However, when this government did actually ask me a few weeks ago, my advice, my advice was the opposite. My advice was, yes, you know, on the economy, we've got to kind of get something short term worked out with the Trump administration. But this really is a wake up call for this country to truly diversify its trade export markets. That's why, you know, that's why we did sign the trade deals all around the world Europe, Asia, Pacific, the Americas and there and Canada has been to be blunt. This is, you know, nothing against the US. The reality is independent of the current disputes. Canada has been to use business term and I'm in the investment business. Now. We have been grossly overweight the United States as a country, and there is no reason for that. Just because we have that geographic proximity does not justify the degree of dependence that we have on a single market, which is sometimes disadvantageous. And the other thing, you know, in terms of security, my advice to the government is, yes, absolutely spend more on defense. We should been doing it all along. But let's well, we spend a lot more in defense. While the border is a shared responsibility. Let's make sure we spend a lot more on defense so that we can be independently responsible for our own land season guys, independent of the United States. And I'm just going to tell you right now, I know one political role I still have. I chair the Global Federation of Conservative Parties, and I can tell you that this is the advice every allied capital is getting from everybody like me that they talk to. And this is not ideal, but I just think it's a reality. The cats out of the bag, you can't or toothpases out of the two, whateveryone want to call it, you can't put it back. And I think it's unfortunate. I think in the long term this will, actually this direction will weaken the free world more than it will more than it will help it, and it will I think ultimately weaken the United States as well. So I think it's unfortunate, but that is the reality of the situation that.
Speaker 9: He squeezed. Amtion Ancient's my traditional name and it comes from Sileur two. So I just want to thank our coosalest relatives for the opportunity to do this work here today. I'm also Parliamentary Secretary for Community Development and Nonprofits and I'm absolutely honored to m see this morning's important announcement. It's absolutely awesome to have this bat drop within our territory. It's absolutely gorgeous. We got the sisters behind us looking after us, and I grew up in the waterfront, so it's wonderful. I love water and I love fish more and welcome to the park. This is Harbor Green Park. It stretches along Coal Harbor looking out over the Broad Inlet, and I just wanted to say, a couple of days ago there were orcas swimming in in the inlet, and they had been here since nineteen twenty, but they came back in twenty fifteen and they've been coming back ever since, so we're doing something right. So I'm just so happy they're back. This green space is mons sitting amongst the busy streets and towers of Vancouver, but it does capture the commerce and economic pulse of Vancouver and British Columbia. We have both that and the natural environment as well as the diversity of the population, so we're really in a very heavenly spot and it's a perfect place for this announcement about building strong, secure, sustainable and prosperous future for all British Columbians. I'd like to acknowledge our guests today joining us at this site are there's Indigenous leaderships. Representatives from the First Nations Leadership Council. Unfortunately, my favorite one isn't here. We had a very long drive yesterday so he's still sleepy. We have First Nations Energy and Mining Council representatives. We have representatives from labor unions, from industry and most importantly from environment and clean energy associations and organizations, and from the Canada Infrastructure Bank, staff and executive from BC Hydro and a number of Vancouver area MLAs. I see the honorable Carry Young, So thank you very much for being with us today and joining me up here to make this announcement, or of course our very own Premier David eby the audible Adrian Dix, who's the Minister of Energy and Climate Solutions, Chris O'Reilly who's President and CEO of bc i DROME, and Duma Cole Sayers who's the executive director of Clean Energy Association of British Columbia. So it's a pleasure now to invite Premier EB to the podium with today's important announcement. Thank you, Thanks there, you're going awesome.
Speaker 10: Thanks Joe, Thanks so much, Joan. It's great to see everybody here. What a beautiful day in Vancouver. You can see why tourism numbers are setting records here in British Columbia.
Speaker 5: It's a beautiful place to be.
Speaker 10: Whether you're in downtown Vancouver, in the far northeast of the interior, out on the island, you can't beat British Columbia.
Speaker 5: And for those of you who.
Speaker 10: Are staying close to home this year for your family vacations, thanks for doing that. And for those of you are visiting British Columbia, welcome. It's great to be here. I am really glad to see special guests out in the audience. I see Robert Phillips out there. I see Terry Young MLA for Downtown Vancouver. I see Michael Goring from the Mining Association. It's very good to see a good group of people out here for today's announcement and it reflects the importance of the work that we're doing here. You know, our country is under a direct attack by the United States, specifically by the President of.
Speaker 5: The United States, Donald Trump.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately, we're not unique in that we're seeing an attack around the world on allies, particularly of the United States, from the President. No one can really make sense of why that's happening, but it is happening. And as we try to keep track of the multiple announcements of the President about attacking this sector or that sector, or this country or this tariff. What we have to do, is, British Columbians, what we have to do is Canadians is push ahead and make sure that we're building our economy to stand strong on our own two feet, diversifying our markets. And the proud thing for British Columbians is, although this is a time of great uncertainty and challenge for major industries in our province and in our country, is that we know that our province is positioned to be the engine of the new economy that we're building here in Canada. And we saw that recently with the Highland Valley Copper announcement, a two point four billion dollar investment in our province by tech nineteen hundred jobs shipping copper to markets in Asia.
Speaker 5: We've seen that through.
Speaker 10: Major investments, we shipped our first LNG cargo, the first Canadian l LNG cargo ever out of our northwest port in Kitamat to Asia. We are developing more than fifty billion dollars in capital projects in this province that are either shovel ready or are in approvals, processes that we are excited about that are.
Speaker 5: Going to build this economy.
Speaker 10: So while there are challenges out there, we know that we will be the engine of the Canadian economy going forward. In this very difficult time as we restructure to protect our sovereignty and protect Canadian jobs and respond to the attacks from a white house that up until very recent memory was a close ally of Canada's. Now there's something special about that engine in British Columbia, and that is that our engine is electric. One of our big advantages here in British Columbia is clean, cheap electricity. It attracts industry, it keeps industry here. And one of the things we know is that projects that are proposing to come to our province need to use more and more electricity than ever before. They want to use clean electricity, and in doing so, they produce the lowest carbon products in the world. And it doesn't matter what it is that's produced. We set records for having very low carbon emissions when projects are when products are produced here in British Columbia. And so that's one of the reasons why you saw a couple of months ago an announcement much like this. Over on Vancouver Island, we announced a call for power for BC Hydro. Call for power is not a he man standing in front of Castle Gray Skull. This is a that's a gen X reference.
Speaker 5: They may not land for everybody. Yeah, it's a it's an.
Speaker 10: Open call to independent power producers, First Nations communities. If you have an opportunity to generate electricity for our province, bring it forward. PC Hydro will work with you and award a contract to buy that electricity from you.
Speaker 5: So we did that first call for power.
Speaker 10: It was oversubscribed, five thousand gigaway of electricity, enough to power five hundred thousand homes through clean energy through wind power through solar. Very impressive in that nine of the ten projects our majority Indigenous owned and the tenth forty nine percent clear partnerships between industry and First Nations and local communities across the province. Very inspiring stuff and delivered at a cost who is forty percent less than the twenty fifteen BC Hydro call for power, So ensuring that we're continuing to provide affordability around hydro, that we're building our economy, representing billions of dollars in private investment in our province, creating jobs, prosperity in remote communities, including in First Nations. A hugely successful first call. So that is why we're gathered here today as an announcement that we're building on that success of the first announcement that we are building more energy here in British Columbia. Today, I'm announcing a second call for power, an additional five thousand gigawatts of clean energy that we're calling for to be produced here in British Columbia, enough to power five hundred thousand homes as well as major industrial projects across the province. Is an economic driver in every corner of British Columbia for communities right across this beautiful province of ours. And it's a reflection of two things. One is our commitment to grow our economy to ensure that we're standing strong as British Columbians. We're relying on our advantages and we're supporting growth in the industries in which we're strong.
Speaker 5: And the second.
Speaker 10: Is that we believe the climate change is real, that we understand that we have a role to play here in British Columbia and driving down emissions and clean electricity is the way that we're going to do it. And we're going to address climate change at the same time.
Speaker 5: As we're growing our economy.
Speaker 10: And I couldn't help but notice the President of the United States, Donald Trump saying that he doesn't like those windmills that produce electricity. They interfere with the views from his golf courses. Let me tell you to all American clean energy producers, come relocate to British Columbia. We are the clean energy capital of the world. We're going to do it. We're creating energy here. We're supportive of clean energy and we will continue to be so you can join the amazing more than seven hundred medical professionals that have applied to join our health service from the United States, and we welcome you, and you are welcome here. With that, i'd like to turn it over to the Mister of Energy, our next speaker, with more details about today's announcement.
Speaker 5: Thanks very much, Thank you.
Speaker 8: It's great to be here today. It's great to be here with friends and guests and advocates of clean energy and advocates of economic growth and advocates of action against climate change. Today, today we're announcing and it's out the request for proposal for this second Call for Power in fifteen months. It's a significant proposal. We're expecting to get from this proposal five thousand gigawatt hours of clean, renewable electricity annually large projects. This time there's no maximum project size gap cap as there was in the first Call for Power, and a minimum of twenty five percent equity ownership, with options at higher levels as we saw in the first Call for Power, and incenting additional benefits outside of equity ownership. We will be awarding these electricity purchase agreements in early twenty twenty six, on around March the tenth we expect projects. It will be an operation from these two calls for power between twenty twenty eight and twenty thirty three. This builds on that call of power. It means more jobs, job creation, thousands of them in the building of projects, job creation in the electricity produced by these projects, and more ownership opportunities for first nations. Why do we need that because the opportunities in British Columbia, is the Premier has just said, are strong and almost unprecedented, particularly for example in our mining sector, and that will be powered in British Columbia by clean electricity. This is a significant importance. But of course you just have to be here in Metro Vancouver and other communities to know that. We also have a growing population and other opportunities opportunities from high tech and it AI and LNG opportunities that require more clean electricity. And the good news is the cost of clean electricity is coming down forty five percent lower in our first call for power than in the previous call for power, which tells us that this is the right investment for people and the right investment to do what BC Hydro has always done, which has had some of the lowest hydro rates in North America. Builds on a broader program that the Premier talked about that we announced in May and have been laying out over the last number of months. A request for expressions of interests of firm power, which support which support other forms of renewable energy that that deadline is September. Requests for expressions of interest on conservation to build on conservation opportunities that save our resources and are in effect by saving resources inexpensive power investment in energy innovation. In short, we have a plan, a clean energy plan that will fuel BC's economy into the future. This announcement today builds on a plan that is significant for people, that involves involves the private sector, involves first nations. In fact, these calls for power were designed by BC Hydro with First Nations in British Columbia. So this is action action action. There is urgency. See in this moment, urgency because we've seen in the United States an attack on Canadian sovereignty. We have to become more self sufficient and we have to become stronger. This helps us do that.
Speaker 2: So I want to.
Speaker 8: Thank the Premiere. I want to thank everyone at BC Hydro for their involvement in this. So also my last opportunity to say thank you. We have a little bit of a transition at BC Hydro and Chris O'Reilly is retiring after a long contribution thirty five years to BC Hydro, retiring on Friday. Our new president and CEO is just over there, Charlotte Meta. We want to welcome her, and it's really an honor for me to introduce Chris O'Reilly for what Well, we still got three more days, still got three more days, but a few more steps to take. But I want to welcome Chris and thank him for all his service to British Columbia and to BC Hydro.
Speaker 11: Well, thank you so much, minister for your kind words. It's great to be here on the territory of the Muscliam, Squamash and Slay with youth. First Nations for this really important announcement and a privilege to stand before you today to talk about the path ahead, one that's powered by our provinces, abundant natural resources, renewable power and lasting partnerships. As you've heard from Premier eb and Minister Dix, VC Hydro was officially launching the twenty twenty five Call for Power today. This is a major step forward in our continued commitment to provide British Columbians with a affordable, reliable and renewable electricity. This initiative supports our thriving economy, it fuels job creation and helps communities across British Columbia to continue to grow and succeed. We're now issuing a request for proposals to acquire up to five thousand gigawatt hours annually from clean and renewable resources, and that's enough electricity to power half a million homes.
Speaker 8: Just like.
Speaker 11: Just like last year's call, First Nations participation is central to this. It's not an option, it's integrated deeply in the initiative. Each project must include a minimum of twenty five percent First Nations equity ownership with incentives up to fifty one percent. These partnerships mark a transformative shift rooted in reconciliation, shared economic prosperity, and First Nations leadership in energy development. We're also collaborating closely with the Canada Infrastructure Bank. Together, we're opening new financing pathways that enable First Nations and clean energy developers to scale their ambitions, to stimulate local economies and propel British Columbia towards its climate goals. This call for power also complements BC Hydro's broader efforts to expand energy infrastr structure, to strengthen grid reliability and grow with the communities that we serve, all while advancing sustainability and affordability. As has been said, this is my final media announcement as President and CEO of BC Hydro. Over the past thirty five years, I've had the privilege of serving British Columbians in a variety of role roles in this outstanding organization. As I approach my retirement, I take great pride in the legacy that we've all built together, from record setting investments in renewable energy to historic collaboration with First nations. We've laid the groundwork for a cleaner, stronger, and more inclusive energy future. To our BC Hydro employees, indigenous partners, our customers, industry collaborators, communities, provincial and local governments. We've achieved this together. Thank you for your trust, your leadership and your vision. As my colleague Charlotte Meta takes over as president and CEO of PC Hydro on Friday, we'll keep the momentum going and together we'll build an energy future that's clean, inclusive and resilient. Thank you. And now I'd like to welcome Quatuma Cole Sayer's executive director of Clean Energy Association of BC, to the podium.
Speaker 12: Thank you, Chris. I hope you can have some downtime in your retirement. I just want to think on palf of the clean energy industry. I want to thank you for your leadership and your time at BC Hydro. And we welcome Charlet Mita and her time. We look forward to working with you. It's an honor to join you on the territories of the Squamish, Musculiam and Slowstith nations. Thank you to Abstin John Phillips for the wonderful welcome here, and to the Premier and the Minister of Energy for welcoming the Clean Energy Association of Burt's Klumby to speak here today. We're honored to be here on the launch of the twenty twenty five Call for Power. My name is Quatuma col Saaras. I'm the executive director of Clean Energy Association of British Columbia. The launch to the second Call for Power, along with a clear commitment to future calls every two years, is important and necessary step in building the electricity infrastructure that we need to power our province. These calls in a strong signal to the clean energy sector, to investors and two communities that British Columbia is serious about planning ahead and making the long term commitments required to meet future demand. At Cleanery BC, we believe that clean power development is most successful when first nations are at the center of the process. When nations lead projects on their territories, working in partnership with industry and supported by meaningful government engagement, the results generate lasting benefits for all British Columbians.
Speaker 5: These projects will deliver.
Speaker 12: Long term jobs, attract world class investment strength, and environmental studewerdship and provide stronger economic growth. The approach now today that the approach and nounce today advances economic reconciliation. It recognizes the rights and leaderships of nations to own and shape clean agy projects on their lands, guided by their own values and stewardship of their projects. Do collaboration benefits will flow into communities across the province and create lasting prosperity for first nations and local communities in all British Columbians. Cleaning BC plods continue collaboration on clean age of projects as meaningful path forward for reconciliation, energy security, and opportunities that will burnish all that will benefit all British Columbians. Together with our members, we are committed to advancing projects that create meaningful benefits, support thriving communities, and leave a legacy of clean energy projects for generations to come.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me today, quick.
Speaker 9: Oh, thank you so much. I really appreciate the Premier's remarks with respect our neighbors to the south. I wonder if anybody tried unplugging them and then plugging them back in, because something's going on there that's uh, just not right, and it's when it just hurts them, it hurts all of us. But I'm just so happy and honored to be here to talk about the clean, affordable and reliable electricity that will help build this province. Clean energy power will forward us into a bright and sustainable future and in collaboration with Indigenous nations, creating jobs, helping a community grow, and driving a strong and clean economy. It's been my privilege to participate in this morning's announcement, so I'd like to thank you any you.
Speaker 13: A little delayed there, the Prime Minister kept looking at the kayak over there, and I knew what he was going through his mind, saying, jeez, I'd love to unload that and go look wonderful to be here today, you know, a historical moment for Islanders, Prince Edward Island, our MPs, and first of all, I want to take a quick shout out to Ron and Pam for allowing us to use this. I don't think the view gets much better on Prince Edward Island than what you're staring at today and what we have our backs to.
Speaker 8: It's absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 14: A piece of engineering.
Speaker 13: That's been a statue for us as a recognition of an Island. So I just wanted to first of all, thank everyone that's here and p McDonald, Casey Morrissey Iacona who took the bridge and spending, like many islands, many people in Canada, his time on Prince Edward Island as a tourist, Minister Freeland, Minister Thompson, Premier Lance and of course r PM Mark Kearney. Look, it all started here in Confederation Confederation Bridge. We're very fortunate to get to this point. It's something that Islanders have been asking for for a long time. And I'm not going to take too much time because i think there's more important things to talk about than me standing up here. But I do want to say, you know, as a relatively new MP, as a new Cabinet minister, working closely with Minister Freeland's office on this and the MPs that represent Prince Ofward Island, and having the leadership of mister Kearney to get this across the finish line force, it's pretty special for all of us. And look, were united across this country, as you all know, Thank you love. Were reunited across this country.
Speaker 14: As you all know.
Speaker 13: We're building Canada as fast and as quickly as possible to face some adversities that we have and this is part of it.
Speaker 2: This is part of it.
Speaker 13: And I can still remember my first meeting with mister Kearney and he said to me, what are your three things for Pei? And I won't mention the other two, but I will mention this one. We're not there yet on the other two, but I will mention this one. And it was a bridge and I won't say his response.
Speaker 14: But it was like, whoa, this is awesome.
Speaker 13: So without further ado, mister Kearney, look, we appreciate it here as Islanders and as MPs that represent the island working with you and Minister Freeland's office.
Speaker 15: Thank you, Thanks very much, Thanks, thanks very much. Heif you weren't calling me mister back then when you were listing the three things, Thank you minister for that kind of introduction. And I want to thank our Atlantic Caucus or p I Caucus here Ministers Freeland and Thompson. MPs from across the country just happened to be dropping by. I want to acknowledge and thank Premier Lance for taking the time to be here today and for his leadership, leadership of this province and leadership incoming now leader and chair of the Council of the Federation, incredibly important body. I'm going to say a few words about what Heath was just talking about, bringing the country closer together, and the Council of the Federation group of premiers working.
Speaker 14: With the federal government is a big, big part of that.
Speaker 15: Look it is, it's always a good day when you wake up on Prince Edward Island.
Speaker 14: That's true.
Speaker 15: They're here and today is an especially a good day.
Speaker 14: It's a big day. So I want to get I want to get right to it.
Speaker 15: One of the reasons seven months ago that I decided to run for parliament was to bring Canadians closer together so that we could build Canada strong and back in early February when I visited Charlottetown, I had those conversations with Heath, with Sean, with Lawrence, with Bobby, Lawrence McCauley at the time, the Kent McDonald of his day, Lawrence mccomedy, had those conversations, and that caucus made this point to me, and I made a promise then obviously to Islanders but all Atlantic Canadians, that we would cut the tolls on the Confederation Bridge to twenty dollars and that we would cut the fairs on the Eastern Fairies and Marine Atlantic in half.
Speaker 14: And today we're making good on those promises.
Speaker 15: Yeah, doing that to bring Atlantic Canada closer together, bring Canadians closer together. There's around three thousand vehicles crossing Confederation Bridge on average every single day, some million vehicles every year. And each time drivers leave PI on the bridge. I don't know why they leave PI on the bridge, but I have to go. They're paying over fifty dollars right now for trucks. The tolls even higher, and those trucks are often driving back and forth.
Speaker 14: Multiple times during the day to transport goods.
Speaker 15: And the Eastern Ferry Service and Marine Atlantic are essential transportation corridors between the island Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. And there's over twenty five hundred people twelve hundred vehicles, both passengers and commercial, that take those routes every single day. And the costs of the bridge and the ferry don't just fall on tourists like Angelo. They hit his family, They hit islanders. Angelos stay in an extra day. I'm gonna tell you, I'm going to tell you why they hit Islanders, Newfoundlanders, Nova Scotians, New Brunswickers and Quebecers and Canadians commuting to work or visiting family in friends. They make it more expensive for businesses of all sizes to be Cecazi Canadian San confronte, increse de coud levi ilenousvo govenmounts in Canada, consent so objective de redria, poke Le Canadian Peace, Galde in blue, grande passi de la gen quizon, dirmentns entrpice piece prosperity. If we're going to build a stronger, more united economy, and we are doing that, we are going to need to make it more affordable to travel around this country for people and for businesses. And that's what we're doing today as of August. For today, Angelona's family are now leaving the island. Canada's new government is reducing the toll for all vehicles on the Confederation Bridge by more than half, from fifty to twenty five.
Speaker 14: To twenty dollars.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and we're reducing the tariffs the fares by fifty percent for passengers, for vehicles for commercial traffic on eastern ferries. Those Eastern ferries that are federally supported and funding Marine Atlantic to reduce its passenger fares by fifty percent.
Speaker 14: Of folks roots for these fayries. So this is big, you know, it's big money.
Speaker 15: Combine, this is going to save users approximately one hundred million dollars and that's one hundred million dollars and go back into our economy year after year, savings that will get funneled back into local businesses that will catalyze new investment and forge deeper connections. For example, the reductions to the Marine Atlantic fairs in Newfoundland and Labrador alone are expected to bring over twenty eight million dollars into that province's economy and boost out of town, out of province tourism.
Speaker 14: As the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.
Speaker 15: Hello the nuvau gounmal Canada A jesu leumanda to bats an economy in Canada, de fal in Canada a p sasheka dispose de risos necessaire. On day one in government, we canceled the consumer carbon tax, so it's a lot less expensive to drive cars in Canada this summer. Our first order of business in the House of Commons following the election, to cut taxes for all.
Speaker 14: Canadians, including the middle.
Speaker 15: Class, to reduce the cost of housing for first time home buyers, making the goal of home ownership a reality for many Canadians. These measures provide immediate relief for hard working Canadians, but the brighter future that Canadians deserve requires much more, and that's why we're transforming our national economy. We're moving from reliance to resilience, from potential to prosperity, and a big part of this transformation is to bring the country closer together. Because economies are additive of one another. When we connect regional economies through travel and trade, they're stronger than the sum of their parts. That's what we've been doing with our One Canadian Economy Act, which is eliminating all federal barriers to the movement of goods and people. And I want to thank the Minister Transport is also the Minister of Internal Trade.
Speaker 14: Christian Freeland, for leading that effort.
Speaker 15: And we're working with the provinces and territories now under Premier Lance's chairship, to remove far more significant barriers that exist between provinces and there's huge progress being made.
Speaker 3: On that.
Speaker 15: Upouvondne Plucce Governor Gemi ne B Loscow, New Creon in Economy Canada, Ullio de Tre's New sum Plufar s Old Team Loscow, News Element, Liberia commercialn Loscow, New Pattison, Come.
Speaker 14: Dot PS New Hondo de Soup. It is a too police.
Speaker 15: When we make it more affordable to travel between provinces, we increase mobility across the region. We build a stronger Atlantic Canada and with more opportunity and greater prosperity. And that's exactly why we're also focused on building major projects such as new energy and trade corridors that will connect our provincial and territorial economies and create new links between Canada and the rest of the world to build Canada strong nation building product projects that will create high paying careers and turbocharge our industries of the future, from agriculture close to Heath's heart and my heart, agriculture to artificial intelligence. I'll call finish by observing, and I have to observe on a day like to this. I've been fortunate in so many ways, including being here on Prince Edward Island on a gorgeous summer day. Today's announcement will mean more Canadians can see more of Atlantic Canada and so all Canadians families can have the chance to enjoy our beautiful country this summer. We've also created the Canada Strong Pass so families can visit our national parks, our museums, are galleries, and our historical sites for free. It allows Canadians to take the Via rail through the Rockies with their kids at a lower cost drive across Confederation Bridge to see Cabinish Beach in Pi National Park where I'm headed.
Speaker 14: Right after this, I might add.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 15: Vois le villagetor ric Commemora Listois come Jeanie la chancier. We as Canadians are fortunate to live in the greatest country.
Speaker 14: In the world.
Speaker 15: It's also this is true, yeah yeah, it's also one of the largest countries in the world. And with today's announcement, we're bringing it a bit closer together as Canadians come together to build Canada Strong.
Speaker 14: Thank you very much me, and.
Speaker 15: Now it's my pleasure to introduce the Minister of Transportation and Internal Trade, Christian Freeland.
Speaker 5: Minister.
Speaker 3: Thanks Prime Minister. Okay, good morning everyone, what a beautiful day here on Pei. Thank you so much, Prime Minister. It is such a privilege to be here with you and our wonderful colleagues from the island Atlantic Canada, and even a visitor from Quebec. Our new government is delivering on a core committe meant to build one strong United Canadian economy, and that includes making it easier to get around in Atlantic Canada. Today's announcement will bring real measurable economic benefits and make life more affordable for businesses and families in this great community and across Atlantic Canada. Commance aconte du premier u en fredri lecu d transport pludn Les du Quebec a don ensembles du Canada Atlantique. This is a really big deal. The tolls for all vehicles on that great bridge are going to go down to twenty bucks on August first, on Friday, we're cutting the fares by fifty percent for all vehicles on the Eastern Canada ferry services that are federally supported, and we're supporting Marine Atlantic to reduce fares for passengers by fifty percent passengers and passenger vehicles. This is about keeping a campaign promise that the Prime Minister made here with Pi colleagues. Promise made today, Promise kept. This is about making life affordable for people here on Pei and across Atlantic Canada and Quebec. And as the Prime Minister has just explained, this is about building one Canadian economy. This is about building Canada strong. I do want to offer a shout out specifically to the Pei MPs who are here, Bobby Sean Heath Lawrence also he's still kind of here with us Kent. They have been absolutely tireless in campaigning for this. I couldn't even say hello to them without hearing about the bridge. It's true they're laughing, but persistence works.
Speaker 15: For me.
Speaker 3: Really, they are role models because they know their community and they have worked so hard to advocate for their community. So, gentlemen, well done. Maybe take a minute before bugging us about other things. No, we love it, and I do also want I'm really happy that Premier Lance is here. He has worked really hard on this with us, and you know we have, as the Prime Minister has said, we have a lot of work to do, building Canada strong, building one Canadian economy. PI has led confederation since we had confederation, and we're counting on you to do that At this time a real national challenge. Nearly sixty five percent of all goods to and from Newfoundland are transported by marine Atlantic. That includes fresh produce, medical supplies, and home heating fuel. Cutting those costs means more reliable supply chains and lower prices for consumers. AVEC de Free, Redui E Mayer Service, d Vantage, the Canagin at Explore Canada, Atlantique Entris Local Genere de jons de la Croissant's Economic contre in Economy Canagin moder U les marchandis.
Speaker 15: La mandev.
Speaker 3: Sep U gill schwas. We are cutting tolls and fairy fares, and in doing that, we are breaking down interprovincial trade barriers that divide our markets and limit our nation's economic potential. As we've just heard from the Prime Minister, this is a really challenging time for Canada.
Speaker 15: We all know it.
Speaker 3: But if we work together, if we build one Canadian economy, if we build Canada strong, we can give more to ourselves. We can do more for ourselves and each other than anyone can take away from us. Together, we are building the strongest economy in the G seven, in the best country in the world.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much.
Speaker 9: It's great to be there.
Speaker 3: Then I think I'm passing it over.
Speaker 1: Now the show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.