Speaker 1: Welcome friends, It's coming podcast. Podcast is done. Show Jackie again Ryan. They're talking tout mob moming. No Bock has only ready Bother used to say that you were put here for a reason, so you're fluent last week because he still stand for truth, justice, all that stuff. It's a bird's no look, it's you wanted to see Me? Rated PG. Thirteen in theaters in Imax June twenty eighth. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zaki Hassan. I'm here at Brian Hall. Hey, how's it going, Zachi. I'm doing well. Brian. I'm actually I'm glad you hopped on. I'm actually I wanted to tell you about the new article I'm working on. It's called Why the World Doesn't Need Brian Hall. I thought you might like to get a sneak preview of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we can get into that while.
Speaker 1: We Maybe it'll win me a pulletzer, the way Lois Lane won a pulletzer for Why the World Doesn't Need Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I mean I only just abandoned you for five years without any explanation or goodbye, so.
Speaker 1: It was a little hurtful. I'll be honest, I can kind of see it. We're here to talk about Superman returns. It seems like it's a timely place for this discussion, given that we are about to witness Superman's latest return to the cinemas via Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah this week, which you have already seen but I have not.
Speaker 1: I know some interesting context as we go into this discussion. Mm hmmm, all kinds of double entendres peppered into our conversation. Potentially I won't even know. There'll be There'll be electric throughout this discussion, far more electricity I might offer than in the movie that we're about to watch, which is notably electricity free, at least in terms of chemistry between people.
Speaker 2: No, I mean you being the Superman fan that you are. I I this came out in two thousand and six. I don't even remember, honestly what your thoughts are on this movie. So I'm really looking forward to digging into this.
Speaker 1: I have many thoughts. The one piece of context I will offer before we hit play is that it is now nineteen years since this movie came out, By the way, the same amount of time between Superman for the Quest for Piece and Superman Returns. Wow, it's passed since it's crazy. And in those nineteen years, I have watched this movie the whole way through exactly twice, once being opening night in two thousand and six, once being last night when I watched it in prep for this discussion.
Speaker 2: Wow, well me too, me too. So I'm amazed how much I remember and just how long it had been at the same time and so.
Speaker 1: Again, and how long it is and how long it is.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna say, you, being the you know, the Superman fan that you are, it's fascinating that you haven't gone back even just sort of skipped through it or something throughout the years.
Speaker 1: So I very very curious, there you go. So there's there's just you know, maybe tipping my hands slightly, but yeah, there's something something knowing. Anyway, Hey, we're about to watch the movie. You can watch along with us. If not, you know, you can listen to us a gab about what we think of what we're seeing on screen while you go about your day doing doing other stuff, maybe more productive stuff. I don't know. I know this movie has its fans, so I don't want to inadvertently offend. But you know, let's see how this discussion goes So we're gonna do the usual thing. We're gonnait play on three, one two three, play Brian, you're ready, I'm ready. Here we go, all right, one two three? Quite all right? Wait?
Speaker 2: Have we ever commented on the fact that the subtitles say that as Time Goes By is playing over the Warner Brothers logo.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have commented on that. I've never noticed that before. I don't think, really, yeah, that the subtitle say it, or that it does.
Speaker 2: In fact, I've noticed that it's used the couple notes from it. Yeah, but I didn't realize that the captioning actually calls it out.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad it does it. It's worth the calling out now, we know that's nice. Right, yep. This is the DC Comics logo that existed for a brief time in the in the mid auts. I think they used it on Dark Knight Rises and this and handful of other things. It is no longer the DC logo. I only bring that up to say that, you know, I was during that era. I was by ending my comic books and my my voluminous DC Comics collection. I was like, well, this is the DC Comics logo, so that's what I use. So the overwhelming majority of my books have that short lived logo on them. I kind of like it. Yeah, so now no, I'm just kind of hanging on. I'm like, no, no, it's it's it's a retro thing, you know. Well.
Speaker 2: I have to say when that logo came up last night, we had finished recording an episode and I had edited the episode and write it for that, I went to dinner you know, are a dinner at home, and then I started this movie up. So it was kind of a marathon of all this stuff. So I was a little tired, and I got to say the sound design during that logo, I was like, not prepared. I was like, it's very intense. It feels like one of those things when they do a demonstration for the sound system in a theater before the movie starts. I was like, damn, I hope that guy got some sort of nod for that frong.
Speaker 1: I was like, whoa, So right up top here we begin with the Marlon Brando narration from the first film, and we're dropped into the explosion of Krypton and then into a credit sequence that is slavishly homaging the Richard Donner film. And so that's sort of what you realize watching this movie, is that a it is one of the earliest examples of a legacy sequel. Yeah, right, But really it's just Brian Singer wanting to cause play that nineteen seventy eight movie because it it you know, it attempts to be a sequel, but really it's just going through most of the same beats from that original movie. Yeah. And I would offer that it for somebody who professes to be such a big fan of that film. I mean, you know, he essentially went and got, you know, permission from Richard Donner, know, who is his producer on the X Men films, to pitch for this whatever. I'm I just I'm stunned by how he seems to have missed all of the important bits about not just that movie, but that character. Hmmm. And that's rather remarkable to me because because you know this this movie didn't perform the way Warner Brothers had hoped, even though it did okay, And and right away it was like, oh, well, that's what happens when you try to stick to that old style and what you know of those seventies and eighties movies, and I'm like, yeah, but this is not this does not evoke those movies in any way other than hearing the music. I agree, I agree, you know, yeah, visually it's really muddy and kind of you know, it bugged the piss out of me when I was too right zachy.
Speaker 2: All right, So look, I a lot of times I'll use your you know, Voodo account to watch some of these movies. But I was like, all right, look, I'm paying for freakin' HBO. It's available on HBO Max. I'm gonna use the thing I'm paying for. So I watched it and I thought, oh, this is is this not four K?
Speaker 1: Like, what's the This is kind of blurry and kind of yeah, muddy looking.
Speaker 2: And so then I switched over to your voodoo thinking you would have a better copy of it, and it was the same same, and I and I since I was very curious about it, so I learned that this was you using an early digital camera. You know, this is a Revenge of the Sith was only a year before this, so it was a Panavision Genesis HD camera and you can kind of tell it's like the early I mean, now digital looks incredible and they apply all sorts of filters and things onto it to make it look more filmic. But this movie has this weird like smooth doubt, kind of like an Instagram filter look to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, which is Yeah.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I kept thinking, and I don't always think this, but I was thinking, Man, this movie would have looked.
Speaker 1: Gorgeous on film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's It's kind of a shame it hasn't aged well visually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I would say, the majority of the visual effects and things are hold up. Okay, yeah, yeah, but with some exceptions, which I suspect will point out. But in general, I question this idea that, oh, this is this is meant to be, you know, singer sort of continuing that legacy because I'm like, in in most measurable ways, it feels disconnected from from those other movies. Like I don't and we'll get into it. I mean, some of the casting in this movie is catastrophic.
Speaker 2: I feel like a listener now I'm gonna just sort of look at my lips like I want to hear all of this.
Speaker 1: So this is Noel Neil, who played who's the very first Lois Lane. She was Lowis Lane in the Kirk Allen serials and then also on the in the George Reeves television series. She was the second lowest lane on that show. How unfortunate for her having to play this scene. Good lord, it's this is so odd, right, So you've got this wealthy dowager who who Lex Luthor has shown pleasures that no other woman has known, which I'm like, okay.
Speaker 2: That's I remember this. This is one of the few things I remember from this movie from nineteen years ago, and just being like, just this movie feels like it starts off on the wrong foot yep, and stays there and stays there the entire time, you know, and not just this, I mean this is kind of gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, icky, yeah, but I mean maybe not out of character for Luthor or whatever.
Speaker 2: But then when you just get into the story about Superman being gone for five years, like, to me, this felt like a sequel, like we needed the first movie to understand why Superman would leave like he did in the manner that he left. Instead, we're just told he left, he didn't say goodbye, and now he's back and he wonders why everyone's upset. Right, It's not a great way to start your Superman not at all.
Speaker 1: And for a variety of reasons. And let's just let's just stay with this portion for a moment. This sequence is ostensibly to explain why Lex Luthor has a boat. I guess sure, yeah, I mean it has no bearing on anything, right, Like, if the movie just starts with him being wealthy, we're not going to be like where did he get? Where do he get all that coin? Right? So very odd. Now, now, Parker Posi, I gotta say, watching this movie, I'm like, A, she's great in this yeah. B she should have been Lois Lane.
Speaker 2: Ah, sure, a little more pluck, yeah, you know, yeah interesting, Yeah, she's not given a lot to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Parker Posey's just one of those actors who has kind of she She just has a has a spark, you know. Oh I love her. Yeah she Well.
Speaker 2: I remember I worked on a Christopher Guest movie directly after she filmed this, so I got to sit down and have lunch with her, and I was asking.
Speaker 1: Her about this movie.
Speaker 2: I have like funny, vivid memory of that and saying like, I mean, I know you probably can't say much, but how was it. I Mean, it's such a big scale movie and the only thing I remember her saying, was that Brendan Routh, She's like, he's so sweet.
Speaker 1: That's what I hear to this day. Yeah, yeah, but man, I had such a crush on her then. Oh yeah, yeah, I was like such an awesome thing getting to sit and talk with her like that. But but yeah, but in this movie, all she does is just sort of look glum and yeah, well she's kind of playing the Valerie Parine character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she doesn't even like speak much like she just since that it's interesting. It feels like a waste of her talents.
Speaker 1: Oh, I one hundred percent agree with that, And I think I think that could apply for many of the people here. I mean even Marie Saint. I mean she's a legend. Yeah, and why wouldn't you make Martha Kent more of a prominent character She gets basically two scenes in this movie, right, don't really impact the story very much. Here's the thing. Okay, so, and you alluded to this earlier. The movie's premise is that, yeah, Superman left Earth five years ago. He let and and the movie gets into it a little bit. He thought Krypton was still there. He went over there and turns out it's not there and so he came back right. It took and it took five years there and back right now. There is a scene that they filmed that you can you can watch it on YouTube that that I don't know if you had a chance to check it out. No, I read about it. I didn't realize it was available. Yeah, you watch it. It's just it's it's Superman's ship, you know. It's the big crystalline ship from the first film, just kind of going through the wreckage and it's very haunting because it is the Krypton from that first movie, so you recognize it, you know what I mean. And it's like we just talked about Jurassic World. It's a little bit like going through the visitor center. I I know this, you know. And then it's him and then as he gets closer, there's like Kryptonite all around and it starts making him sick, so he leaves the end. Okay. Now, this was a ten million dollars sequence that they shot, yeah, and completed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then verted into Imax three D.
Speaker 1: The works, okay, and then they're like, nah, it doesn't work, and a I'm like, think about that for a second. Ten you could have shot four movies with that. Yeah right, yeah, so this is Brian Singer just like actively pissing away Warner Brothers money, right, Yeah. But fundamentally, what it gets to is that the entire premise of the movie this idea that Superman left for five years and he came back and the world has moved on without him. That's actually not a bad premise for a film, right, Sure, certainly that's what Kingdom Come, the comic book series by Mark Wade and Alex Ross, that's what it's about, Right, Superman ended up leaving and then events call him back in and that in that case, it was, you know, the world decided they didn't want Superman anymore, you know, But does.
Speaker 2: It begin that way? Like, what's the beginning of that story? Is he away and he returns?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So there's basically a mass there's a mass killing event that happens as a result of a superhero battle and Superman is essentially in retirement, right, and a wonder woman comes to him and she's like, you know, the world needs you again, and he's pulled back in, And if you haven't read the Kingdom Come, a terrific story, right, But but it gets to fundamentally this idea of what a Superman represent, Why, why is it? Why is he important? Right? And you feel like this film was sort of nipping around the edges of that as a premise. But I think that when when you make the reason for Superman's absence so nakedly selfish, it's just odd, Like, I don't I don't believe there's any circumstance where Superman will be like, all right, guys, I'm gonna peace out for five years. You guys got this right, right, especially given that this film was you know, per Brian Singer, this is ignores three and four, And indeed it does. We know it does because in three and four, Martha Kent is deceased, so her existence as movie says, Oh okay, it's you know, it's kind of it's its own timeline. But the end of Superman two, and we've talked about this before, is literally Superman at the White House telling the President I'm sorry I was gone so long, mister President. I won't let you down again. I forgot about that except in like a week when I leave. So sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's I agree with you. I can see that as a concept, But yeah, you can't just put text on screen at the beginning, That's right, you know, that just says like Superman decided to leave, yeah, and now he's back, and then when we pick up our narrative, yeah, everyone's just sad. I mean, this is such a melancholy movie.
Speaker 1: It really is. And so and and that's what I mean when I say tonally, it just doesn't fit with with those earlier films, you know, because say what you will about the Richard Donner movie, I mean it treats it seriously, but it's it it steps lightly. You know, There's there's moments of humor, there's moments of joy throughout, yes, yes, and and this is a joyless slog yeah yeah. So I mean.
Speaker 2: Just alone this being supposedly a kickoff to Superman again, like you said, it had been you know, almost two decades since, Like this is a reboot essentially, even though well I mean is it though, I mean to your point, yeah, it's it's sort of a continuation, but in a way, yes, new cast, new era. And so this just seems like a weird story to begin with, weird tone to begin with, Like I don't even know what a sequel would look like. To this, like yeah, yeah, right, yeah, Now this was the same year as Batman Begins, right.
Speaker 1: Or years later? This was one year later?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so just trying to put it in a timeline in my brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken, I believe there was a teaser for this attached to Batman Begins. Okay, Yeah, but they both came out in June, so it was five and o six, you know, And it's worth recognizing, you know, Batman Begins did okay, but it wasn't like a smash hit, right, like we forget that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was looking just at box office stats and this outgrossed Superman returns out gross Batman Begins.
Speaker 1: That's right, Which is interesting because.
Speaker 2: The Nolan Batman would then, you know, change the course of superhero movies for years and years to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just didn't know it yet. Well, and that's somewhat ironic to me, Like when you watch Batman Begins, that is very much a spirit ritual air to the Richard Donner Superman. Yeah, and Christopher Nolan said as much. Right, the Donner Superman informed how he approached telling the story, who he cast, etcetera, etcetera. Right, Right, And and I going into this is worth recognizing there was a lot of enthusiasm because Brian Singer had this is pre knowing what a sex predator he is. Yeah, so I mean that we have to sprinkle that into that. You know, we have new contexts now.
Speaker 2: I have to say I was carrying that with me as I was watching this and just second guessing things. Some things I was looking at just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, by the real quick before I even continue. So we get Marlon Brando here, and there was a there was a settlement between Warner Brothers and the Brando estate to the tune of something like fifteen million dollars to be able to use Brando's likeness both here and in the RICHERD Donner edit of Superman two. So that's why we see Brando here, and his.
Speaker 2: Estate was refusing, and so they that was the amount that they came up with to be able to use it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And by virtue of Brando being in this movie and even Marie Saint being in this movie. This is the second movie they made together after you know, on the waterfront. On the waterfront. Yeah, yes, so I don't know, just a little little trivia. Yeah, wow, you might try putting Superman in turns in your cinema tricks and see what happens.
Speaker 2: I've oh, wow, wow, you just that this is the first moment I've gotten excited dealing with this film.
Speaker 1: No so so. Yeah. But Brian Singer, on the back of X Men and X two, he had a lot of fanboy enthusiasm, right, I can imagine yeah, right, and he bolted the third X Men to do this, and people were upset about that. But it was like, oh, but he's doing Superman, and Superman was what he was always the fan of. He wasn't a fan of X Men, and I've just watched his X Men movies in the last few weeks. I'm like, they are still good. So I'm like, maybe those movies benefited from him not being a fan, you know, sure, sure, But I've said often like he sort of he dealt body blows to both franchises X Men and Superman by leaving one for the other. I mean, I have to say to give him, look, I mean, yes, this is like the broad statement about him. He's a creep and it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yes, just strictly speaking, watching this film, I mean, it's a gorgeous movie.
Speaker 1: I agree. Yeah, that's a great shot, beautifully shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's It's that though, is one of its strengths and also maybe one of its weaknesses.
Speaker 1: It also reminded me sort of like someone who.
Speaker 2: Knows they're attractive and keeps staring at themselves in the mirror. That's kind of what it feels like. Watch this movie a little bit, do you know what I'm saying? Like, Look, so this movie's over two and a half hours. I would say it has under two hours of story.
Speaker 1: I definitely agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the photography, the shots, the shot lengths, the editing, whatever I mean generously, you could say it's reverential feeling and not so generous, kind of languid. You know, it's very in love with its look. It feels like, and I would say somewhat understandably because it is beautiful. I kept thinking over and over, like, this is very beautiful, Like it looks like a lot of paintings come to life off but they just didn't have the sense to trim some of it down and make it move maybe a better speed.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember watching this the first time, and you know that as he's running through the cornfield and he jumps in the air and the music crescendos and it's the Smallville music written by John Williams, you know that John Ottman has used and you know, I I you know, it made me feel a certain way, you know, sure, and it just reminds me of how this movie, this movie was part of my you Can't Go Home Again trifecta in the in the aughts.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, well, I think I know one of the others. What are they?
Speaker 1: Well, we had there was Planet of the Apes in two thousand and one. Yep, that's the one. Yeah, uh, and then there was this in O six, and then in eight you and I had a shared experience of course of Indiana Jones and.
Speaker 3: The Crystal Skull, and it was yeah, yeah, I Between those three it was literally like, you know, it's You're never gonna have that same experience with something new, so just cherish what you have with what's.
Speaker 1: Already there, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've often said that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the there is No Santa Claus moment of my adult life I've since, you know, I've oft and on it.
Speaker 1: I still say of it.
Speaker 2: But when it's on TV or something I'll stop on it, but I will never forget seeing that in the theater with you and Sean. And I literally felt like I was waking from a dream, like I had not just actually literally seen what I had seen.
Speaker 1: And I remember real real quick by if I don't know if you can see on the sill there we missed it, but there's a picture of Glenn Ford. Yeah, right there, Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent, right next to the graduation picture. Ah, little little nod to the continuity. Yeah, anyway, I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's all. I just I sharing that moment with you. It was very surreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and honestly it was. It was helpful in a way, right, it really was.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it it had to happen.
Speaker 1: It had to happen, and it that's that's what I realized, was like, you know, you're you're sort of chasing that high. And you know, I went into this movie with just an armload of anticipation and expectation, not merely that it it was a new Superman movie after so long, but that it was meant to continue on from those ones that I loved so much, you know, right, and and you know, it's it. It doesn't really do that right, and and it I wasn't alone in that reaction like that. That's been sort of interesting because to your point, like the movie did relatively okay, and I feel like it was a lot of like it's still good, it's still good, and then you realize like it's not. It's not a movie you really feel compelled to go back to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a terrible way to kick off what you hope is, Yeah, you know, a new start to the a reinvigoration of the series for a new decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know it's funny because I saw yeah, Rotten Tomatoes, it's somewhere in the seventies. Yeah, And I was like, yeah, that feels about right, because I can't say I like out and out dislike it either.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is the visuals for me carrying me, because I did like looking at it, yeah, you know, and there are some nice moments in it, but it's just not something that I would want to watch over and over and it's certainly not a promising start to like a new trilogy or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think the mistake is in try you know again you want to wrap your premise around this this very heavy idea of like what does it mean to have Superman and to not have Superman? And and you're also trying to get a franchise going again, and I just don't I think I think those those cross purposes don't work. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we you mentioned this earlier, I'm sure we'll get more into it, but there's not a huge spark between Clark and Lewis. And then also we have this like child at the end where it's.
Speaker 1: Like what do we do with that? Right?
Speaker 2: You know, it's just it just yeah, it feels like someone had a bunch of ideas and made the movie but wasn't concerned with where it was going to go next.
Speaker 1: That's that's exactly Hanny and Worth mentioning. By the way, Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen, he's having the most fun in this movie. Yeah, I would with some more of that energy would have been Yeah, absolutely right. Franklin Jella, who is a tremendous actor. I feel like he wandered onto the set and wandered off the set right like, I don't know if he knew the cameras were rolling you know.
Speaker 2: I made a note that it was basically like, if it wasn't played by Franklin Jella, you would forget this character was in the movie absolutely, Like he's only is memorable because it's him, that's whatever he brings just as himself.
Speaker 1: So originally they had cast Hugh Laurie. I can see that, right, And this was when House was going, so you picture him at being the curmudgeon le doctor House type, you know. And wasn't Brian Singer producer on House? Yeah? I think he directed the pilot. Yeah, and he was an EP on it. Yeah, So that was probab why And I think I think the television schedule prevented that. But when when you hear Franklin Jelly, you're like, oh, okay, I can see that, right, But like, but he doesn't have any of Jackie Cooper's energy, you know, you know you pickedure Jackie. What's everybody's standing around for? Right? You know? Like that that that kind of lovable, but like in the thick of it, you know, yep. The The other thing is Brandon Routh is I think Brandon Routh is good in this movie. I don't think he's great in this movie. And and it's mainly because of stuff that's kind of out of his hands, right Number one, that the script doesn't give either Superman or Clark a ton to do. And the other thing is he was explicitly instructed like play Christopher Reeves Clark, you know, and so it's forcing these comparisons, right Like when when you think about it, one of the best things possible for the James Bond franchise was that Roger Moore was about as different from Sean Connery as could be. Yeah, right, so like you kind of just had to reset your brain and be like, oh, this is this is somebody different, right, And I think what got route the gig is his resemblance to Christopher Reeve. But unfortunately, and it's not his fault, but it forces that comparison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and he's just kind of missing that when it's so close you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: But it's missing the twinkle in his own.
Speaker 2: You know, just those little Yeah, you're right, it's unfair if they just let him be a bit.
Speaker 1: More, I mean the ironic thing. And the other thing. I mean, he was very young at the time, and I think he needed to ferment a little bit because he he got to play Superman again a few years ago during that cw DC mini series that they did, Crisis on Infinite Rates, and man, he was terrific in that. Oh that's great. Yeah. I pulled up his scenes again after watching this, just a resort of remind itself, like, no, no, he's very good. Mm hmm. And so you know he did need to get a few years under his belt, you know. Sure. Yeah. By the way, that's such like a weird, gross detail about the two dogs with the other dog, I know, yeah, it's like why it's so odd? Yeah. So, so cal Penn is there, like, you know, hiding wordlessly throughout this film, and you know you're kind of like, is that is that cal Pen?
Speaker 2: I remember that when it was released and thinking like, oh cool, I like this guy, and then realizing he was going to be like silent the entire movie.
Speaker 1: So apparently his character there there, there is backstory that that was written and I believe filmed that he is a disgraced Daily Planet science reporter who worked with Lex to plant a story that Krypton is still out there. Yes, and and that's what Superman off off world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I saw that that is included in the video game apparently tied with this, like that, oh interesting, I think Krypton's discovery was a hoax And I was like that makes me feel worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so depressing. Depressing on so many levels because again, it just goes back to something fundamental that, especially in this universe where there is only Superman, he is the only hero. You know, the idea that Superman would would would leave Earth unprotected, you know, doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just that he would leave for five years. Yeah, and then to learn that it was just based on a lie. I don't know it, just this, how can this movie make me feel more?
Speaker 1: Well? Well? And the fact that that it's not intrinsic to the plot mm hmm right, it's not like he comes back to Earth and he he reckons with that and and you know, like it's something essential because here here's the point. I think I've said this before, Like you could have had Superman trapped in the Phantom Zone for five years, sure, yeah, and it would be unwillingly And he's worked for five years to come back, and he comes back and he finds out the world has moved on without him. Well that's more interesting, absolutely, And it sets up more areas for your story to go because who who put him there? Are they coming back after? You know what I mean? Yep, this Ultimately, it's just it wanted to make a It wanted to make a meta commentary about how long Superman had not been in movies essentially and make the point that no, but we need Superman, right, which it feels like every couple of years the movies are doing that, like you know, Man of Steel is doing that, No, no, but we need Superman, and then now this new movie we need Superman. It's like, I believe you, you're right, I'm on board. I co signed your conclusion. But we don't need to keep saying it, you know, yeah, like just just make a Superman movie.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like we recently were talking about the Jurassic Park movies, where it feels like the filmmakers constantly need to be like, now, we know you've seen dinosaurs since nineteen ninety three, and it's not gonna be enough. So we're gonna have all our characters be like, oh ho home, I'm bored with dinosaurs. So we're gonna make a bigger dinosaur because like we're ahead of you. We know you're already bored, and I'm always like, no, I'm not. I'm here because I like dinosaurs. Yeah, it just feels like this overthink, Yeah they do. So that's a cameo, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I meant to mention so Bo the bartender. That is Jack Larson. He played Jimmy Olsen in the in the George Reeves television series. So both of those actors, Noel O'Neil and he have passed away since then. I at this point, you know, there is no one left alive who was on the Adventure of Superman television show, sure, which is one of those weird things. I was watching I Love Lucy yesterday and you realize, like everybody's gone, Yeah, this is all that exists, you know, and there's something sobering about it is weird. Yeah. That was Richard Branson, by the way, as one of the astronauts. Oh really, yeah, because it's it's yeah, you can shoot you can see it. Yeah right there. Oh, how funny. I didn't know that. So okay, by the Peter Wilson as the flight attendant or you know, the whatever the yeah right there, okay, Ay, she was like a bigger name back then when you say that name, it rings a bell, And even seeing her, I felt like, do I ever do I know who that is? But I don't. It's on the tip of my She was on La fem Nikita right in the in the nineties, I think, on the USA say yeah, yeah, okay, okay, and she was in legal extoring gentlemen. Anyway. My point is she could have been Lois Lane. Okay, wait, so not a Kate Bosworth. So I'm just gonna say, Kate Bosworth, who you know? I've seen her be fine and other stuff. She was in no way suited for this film. The script did her dirty, but she just she just does not did not have the chops to play the role in any way that may that makes Lois in any way compelling mm hmm. And and I think it's it's the it's calamitous casting because she doesn't evoke any of the the spunk of Margot Kidder. So to make us be like, oh, it's the same character. She looks younger than Margot Kidder.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah, I read that she's only sixteen years older than the boy.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's so odd, right, yeah, Like why do that? Why why deliberately put a clock on your premise, that's this is set X number of years after what we've already seen, sure, and then go younger. Right, So none of what they give Lois to do is particularly effective. There's no chemistry between her and Superman. There's no sense of she's like kind of a dick to Clark. Yeah, yeah, it's super weird.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing, and well it did make me wonder then what does he see in her?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You know, someone who would be so cruel.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, sometimes she can just be like, oh Clark in the other versions, but here she seems rude to him.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, again, this goes to what I was saying before, Like, okay, let's take you at your premise. This is the sequel to Superman one and two. We've seen those movies. We see how Lois and Clark are together, even when she doesn't know he's Superman. She's very sweet to him. Yeah, she's not like hey, creep, you know or whatever. Price So it's very weird, you know. Yeah, Like like when you watch when you watch Lois and Clark in their Daily Planet scenes in Superman two, it's it's amusing. It's you know, they have bantered together and she she's the issue is not like she doesn't have any time for Clarke. It's just she views him like a brother, but she's affectionate to him like a brother, right, you know what I mean? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, yeah, I was, I was curious. I mean, Keith Bosworth is kind of interesting, like I'm looking her up now, like Blue Crush of course comes to.
Speaker 1: Mind, like put her on the map.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I forgot about twenty one but the math co.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah with Kevin Spacey right, oh wow, yeah, see I've seen all these when a date with Tad Hamilton, but they're very much of an era. Didn't wasn't she in that other Kevin Spacey movie, The Oh yeah, that's what got her this role.
Speaker 2: Apparently he recommended her. Oh really Across the Sea.
Speaker 1: Across the Sea, that's right. Yeah, he came in saying you should cast and Spacey we should say, I mean he he okay again another sex predator, right, which makes a movie hard to watch, But he got the gig on the back of having one an oscar working with Brian Singer previously on Usual Suspects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which is it's kind of easy to forget Usual Suspects.
Speaker 1: That was such.
Speaker 2: A you know, a iconic movie of the nineties, right, and you forget that Chris McQuary, yeah, and Brian Singer are the creative forces behind that, right, because now you think of McQuary and Mission Impossible and Singer and these superhero movies. Yea, let alone his personal problems. But right, like, it just seems that movie feels like it sort of stands on its own as his own little iconic thing.
Speaker 1: But I always forget that those two were involved with that. It's interesting, well, it's it's sort of like the Dawn of the Dead remake from four, which is written by James Gunn and directed by Zack Snyder. Perfect comparison. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'd like to rewatch Usual Suspects again because I remember it was such a That was when I was really getting in the movies, and I'd never seen a mind blowing twist like that before, and I just thought it was so incredible. I'd be curious to see how it holds up all these years later.
Speaker 1: I think. I think for me, what continues to be the most memorable part of the Usual Suspects is the parody of the Revelation scene when it wrongfully accused with Leslie Nielsen, with Leslie Nielsen, which cracks me up to this day. Yeah. Yeah, So this this opening, uh, the re intro sequence of Superman is is meant to echo, you know, the helicopter scene in the original film. First of all, Lois should be like a fine paste based on how much she's she's whipped around this cabin.
Speaker 2: I get that they need to make her stand out, yeah, in this catastrophe, but it almost borders on parody. How many shots we get of her whipping around and smashing into the wall, smashing into the ceiling, smashing into the floor, like it almost does become like a naked gun sort of.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then that it's kind of an interesting moment when she's on the ceiling has the free fall and that guy's looking at her right, but they keep like cutting back and forth and back to that shot.
Speaker 2: So instead of becoming this weird shared moment between two people in peril, it almost feels like, well, help her, dude, reach out your hand.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this right here, this is and we hear this is where we hear the crescendo of the John Williams Superman theme. Yeah, and what I realized rewatching is those are the only moments when my heart kind of starts to be a little faster, right, sure, which is a problem. Now we see Superman finally in all his glory here, and what you realize is that this is an absolutely ghastly Superman costume.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's it's weird how I described it, It's like a Timu Superman costume. Okay, because it's like they got they managed to get everything just a little bit wrong. Okay, so collectively it just looks bad, right right, So like number one, the colors are way too dark, so instead of bright red, it's like maroon, right, the blue and the red they don't go together, right, Okay, The neckline is too high, the S symbol is too small. Yes, I even thought that the trunks are too small and too low not shot again. Yeah, we'll see when when when the thing lands and the boots are too big? Yeah, and and and there's says everywhere, oh is that you know?
Speaker 2: I saw something about that online and I wasn't sure if that was true or not.
Speaker 1: So there they're okay. Well number one, there's like the S on the belt buckle, there's s's on his boots. The costume is printed screen printed with s's. Okay, that's yeah, that's what I saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just saw a bunch of little mini s's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like, dude, like it worked, like the thing that was there, Like all you had to do was just modernize the reef suit a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, now this comes after years of attempted uh new Superman movies, right, I mean Tim Burton of course, famously, Brett Rattner, all these other things. And there's all these stories. I mean, the one I know most famously is from Kevin Smith. Yeah, and he was involved in the script. But it seems like there was a lot of a pushback against the costume from producers at least yeah, thinking that maybe in this day and age, we need to rethink it or modernize it or get rid of the cape or so do you feel like this is a compromise then, Where Singer was like no, no, no, we get the trunks, we.
Speaker 1: Get the boots, we get the cape.
Speaker 2: But they're like, all right, well then it can't be bright, it can't look like what we know from a sunny comic book. It has to look muted, you know, darker colors because it's more serious and realistic. I mean, do you think that that's what we're looking at here?
Speaker 1: That's entirely possible. Yeah, it's odd though, right, like, because what you end up with is a very odd looking Superman suit. Sure, but real quick though, I love this when he's landing the plane and we get this like this force wave like I was just going to call that out, and when the cone crunches in his hand from the force. Yeah, like you can imagine a version where it's like, no, he just stops the plane and sets it down. But I love the sort of physics of it. They grapple with the physics of the whole process. I think it's super cool. And really this sequence right here, so about about forty minutes in is the the excitement highlight of the movie. Yeah, yeah, without a doubt. Right, So, so look at you. You can see the shot that we get of the suit here. Oh yeah, yeah, the low trunks. I see that it's so low, right, and what it does it makes his midsection look weirdly stretched out and thin. If the Brandon Routh is a big, tall guy, right, so why wouldn't you build the suit to highlight that, tokecentuate it, you know, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: I mean I want to call out the moments that I like, and I do like this. Yeah, I heard seeing him for the first time after you know, stopping the plane in the middle of a baseball stadium and then them clearly sharing a moment with one another, and everyone doing the sort of swivel in their seats, like watching them react to each other back and forth.
Speaker 1: That's good moment. See. So this here where everybody starts cheering, Like, I wonder would that be the way people react if he's just been gone for five years? Right? And I'm not even like I I genuinely like, I wonder, in this day and age, in this cynical age that we're in, would people be as excited when at first I wasn't sure. Yeah, And I think because.
Speaker 2: It's at the very least, I mean, he stopped a plane from crashing into the stadium, so there's probably a collective relief or something like.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, how about this, why don't you take the plane with you? You dick.
Speaker 2: I will never forget that you made that point back in two thousand and six, and I've never forgot it. So now they got to get like a construction career in theresemb it would take.
Speaker 1: Next to no effort for him to just wait till everybody exits here, let me get this out of here, continue your game. No, no, no, he's got to be a dick about it. Not only did I leave for five years because I'm a dick for yeah yeah, yeah, sorry you were saying, well, no, but you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially in this so social media TikTok whatever age, like everyone would have a hot take, you know, yeah, yeah, be a lot more cynical and question everything.
Speaker 1: And I will say the twenty twenty five model definitely leans into the idea of social media as a factor in how people deal with with superhumans. You know, so I think, oh, okay, I mean it makes sense. It absolutely does. Yeah. Now now this here. I remember when this movie came out, there was controversy because Perry White says, is he still for truth, justice, all that stuff? Instead of the American way? Instead of the American way. And this is nineteen years ago. There's all this controversy Fox News. You know, I'm not kidding you. Know, and then and then now you know, we've got new controversy because you know, James Gunn is like, you know, Superman is an immigrant and he shows how you know, and Fox News going after it again, and I'm like a bitch, nothing changes. Yeah, yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Gotta say, it's kind of a weird ironic thing. But watching this on my iPad right now, it looks so much better, smaller.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Yeah, lesmeary looking. Yeah, this is something about the brown and it's just the color palette is so muted. You know. One thing I loved about The Daily Planet in those first two movies is how how real it felt. It felt like all the President's men.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, you know, yeah, I mean I sort of get it.
Speaker 1: Norman Rockwell is not the right direct comparison, but some sort of warm Americana, painterly sort of that's what. That's what this feels like. But you do that for the Smallville stuff, right, that's what that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, sure that's a good point. Yeah, this is like big city here.
Speaker 1: I mean, I I this kid, by the way, is adorable. He is so cute.
Speaker 2: He's the only kid I've ever I was thinking this last Night. They keep making these home alone sequels and the kid is always wrong. That's why mcaulay culkin is like a miracle of casting, right, you know what I mean? They always just feel it's sort I always say it's about Fairs Bueller. You push him like one degree in this direction.
Speaker 1: He's a dick. You get series? What's that? You get Ferris Bueller the series? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like this miracle of casting where he's just kind of cool and likable. Anyway, this kid, I was like, oh, if I saw this kid in a home alone movie, I'd be rooting for him.
Speaker 1: See this here where it's like awkward and like, oh what the kids are hug I'm like what, it doesn't make any sense. I'm like, why why would you not? Why would you not try to make Lois as warm as possible?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well your friend is back after five years and she's treating him kind of like an afterthought.
Speaker 1: It's so baffling to me because if we're supposed to feel something about the idea that Lois has moved on a why would she not have moved on? Right? Of course she would because Superman left without saying anything, and you know the movie doesn't know what it wants us to feel about any of it. The other thing, by the way, is that her husband or her boyfriend, Richard played by James Martsina, is like a really good guy. Mm hmm. Yeah. So you're also like, hey, Superman, why don't you just like leave him alone? Man?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, yeah, it adds to that, like, yeah, it's sort of melancholy feeling that I don't want to be feeling when I'm watching a Superman movie.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, you know, Brian Singer, he talked about this movie retrospectively. He's like, you know, we were we weren't really going for the super Here audience. We were going for the Devil wors Prada audience.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and right, I'm like, well, then don't make Superman. Brian Singer, not all.
Speaker 2: But also like I like Devil wors product, like it's a that's an upbeat movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and and I think he made that comparison because they they were like they came out the same weekend. I think. Okay, so I suppose he wanted to get the girls in and yeah, I'm saying, like, is he basically what he's trying to say, just he's trying to make a movie for women. It's odd though, right, because yeah, I mean women watched the original Superman. Yeah, they were swept up in the fantasy of flying with Chris Chris Reeve. You know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But to your point, I mean, okay, so you want to maybe plus up the relationship dynamics in the story, Okay, that's cool. But like you said, yeah, James Martin's kind of a nice guy, and it's kind it becomes almost stalkerly the way that Superman just hangs out at their house and stares through the walls and even like creeps into the boy's bedroom at one point, and that's I don't think that that relates to what it says he's aiming.
Speaker 1: For, right, I mean. Marsden is like straight up the most heroic person in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has no powers and he risks everything.
Speaker 1: He is actively placing himself in harm's way for no reason other than doing the right thing. He's just a good guy by the way. Marsden, you know, he he he has a very abbreviated role in X Men three because of his role in this one. So he like shows up in the beginning of X Men three, He's like, hey, how do you guys get out of here? Wolverine? And then and then he dies.
Speaker 2: It's basically by the way, I love this moment again calling out the moments I do.
Speaker 1: Like why does she why does she react like that?
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I don't like her reaction, but I love her just like Hi, like nodding across the elevator and him like yeah hi.
Speaker 1: She's so like, oh you hi, I know, I know see. And again this goes to directing, like this is this is about the how she is told to play the role. Sure, yeah, And I'm like, if nothing else, we have to buy into the warmth of Lois Lane as a person because we have to, Like, fundamentally, she is the person who, in any incarnation, is the one who who Clark, this god from across the stars, says, I want to live a normal life with this person. Yeah, we have to buy that. You know. That's one thing. You know, when you and I when we watched the Loewso and Clark television pilot, it's like you just you get it right away. Why Clark would just fall head over heels for her.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know, yeah, I mean this is a By the time this drops, the new Superman will be out. So can you at least briefly comment on how the relationship works in that one. I mean, did you like it Lewis and Clark?
Speaker 1: I loved it great. I think Rachel Brosnahan is fantastic. Okay, fantastic. She is fantastic. Yeah, and they they spark together. And I think it helps that I watched that less than twenty four hours after watching this. Sure, you know, yeah, and it again, it is a shame, but it gets to it feels to me like I'm watching kids cosplay m even Ruth Ruth Ralph well because he's he's having to coseplay as Christopher Reeves Clark Kent.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, but I was just thinking about the kids thing, like does he feel little too?
Speaker 1: I guess you did say that he doesn't feel as he he yeah, And I don't know if I felt that at the time, because he's like roughly our age, probably.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I think, oh yeah, I think almost exactly. He's I want to say, twenty six in this movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you know that's just a weird thing because Christopher Reeve was younger than that when he was Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's that weird phenomenon, right, people from the seventies, eighties, whatever, they just looked so much older.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I don't know how kids would have perceived Brandon Rout in this. Yeah, but I definitely like when you when you look at him in Crisis a few years ago, it's it's like he he had aged into it in the right way. Sure. Sure, see the neckline being like right by his neck, that that I've never liked that. I think I think Superman's neckl line should be a little bit lower. I don't even like in the new movie how they give him a collar. I don't like that. Oh yeah, yeah, I don't want to see it. Oh yeah, it looks like a costume that you would buy from from Target or something, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean I noticed the darker colors and it's just like, what but the S was bothering me.
Speaker 1: Besides, of the S should, in my opinion, you know, it should sprawl out on his chest a little more because it makes the chest look bigger. Yeah. See, there's something about this scene I think. I think it's an interesting scene. And here's the thing. I think Marsden is good in it. I think when I watch Kate Bosworth, I feel like I'm watching like a fan film, like a Superman fan film, Yeah, with with actors who are not professionals and they're trying God bless them. Interesting. Now, No, why do you say that specifically? There's this one line where he's like, did you love him? And she's like, he's Superman, everybody loved him. I'm like that, I just get fan film energy from that. Interesting. Yeah, And I feel bad. I don't mean to pick on Kate Bosworth. I think she was done dirty by the script and the direction. Yeah, yeah, I can see that, you know, Like, like, here's my point. This is this is what I'm saying. I think she's speaking. This is exactly she's speaking with within a level of like world weariness, of like experience that bilies. You know, she's a kid here, you know. Sure. Yeah, so it doesn't feel authentic to me. Yeah, so that's why you age it up. You go with somebody in their in their thirties, God forbid? Right, right, I mean you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, yeah, there's I mean this movie is kind of about like lost love, longing, whatever. I just yeah, I'm not feeling it the way I think the movie wanted me to. Yeah, and that that that's a good point, Like I'm not seeing that on her face, and maybe her face is too young to be able to express.
Speaker 1: To be able to authentically embody it. Yeah. You know, like you know, if if Chris Reeve had not had his accident, you know, I mean, like how different things might have been, right, But you can imagine a scenario where say in two thousand and five or two thousand and six, he he comes back and plays a slightly older Superman. Yeah, and that would like going through these beats would have been interesting with with somebody like say Chris Reeve at that age. Do you know what I'm saying? Absolutely yeah, because because it's like, well, we know him, and we've been through this journey and and you know, the the loneliness he feels or whatever. It's like, we feel an empathetic connection. I don't. I think this movie is essentially saying, oh, we want you to view the story through the lens of all of that emotional connection. But it doesn't resemble that movie in any meaningful way. M hm. Right, Like when you think about it esthetically, the only thing that connects this movie to those other ones? Is the Fortress of Solitude? Yeah? Nothing else? Yeah, so we have that and the music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that goes back to one of the first things I said, where this If this was the second movie, yeah, in a series, I.
Speaker 1: Would be able to buy into it more.
Speaker 2: Because I need all of this that we're supposed to be feeling as a result of something that need to be established earlier for me. Yeah, you know, seeing any sort of connection between Clark and Lewis, Yeah, yeah, I agree, And then I would be able to clock or buy into the sadness of this one because I already got to experience that with them.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Yeah. This is one of the few moments I remember it also. Yeah, this is a big trailer moment when when we get like the bullet and the Eye.
Speaker 2: Doesn't this look very Wachowski like very much so like the Cops and there's sort of generic looking outfits.
Speaker 1: They look very like Matrix, Like you give me your jurism diction craft exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like this resembles that, and we're not far off from I don't doubt that it was inspired by that.
Speaker 1: You know. The other thing to think about is that this movie came out relatively close to nine to eleven. Yeah, that's right, and one wonders I remember in fact, where Brian Singer talked about he thought about having a shot where Superman is at ground zero and thank goodness they didn't put that in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of like, oh, if I hadn't left, maybe I couldn't have stopped this. I mean, that's just gross on so many levels.
Speaker 1: So many levels exactly, a real life tragedy like that, that's exactly it. But but one presumes that maybe that's part of the reason you built, you bake in this five year time that he's gone, because at least, you know metatextually, you're able to be like, oh, like that's why Superman didn't stop nine to eleven and his Earth you know.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, because we're it's it's closer, yeah, in time in our mind.
Speaker 1: Like it's weird to think about, right because because at this point nine to eleven is it's just history, m m. But at this time it's still informed so much of our day to day discourse. You know, yeah, yeah, how we plugged into two media and all, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, absolutely, I remember there was a time Well, this is the thing, right, I mean, this was a big trailer moment.
Speaker 1: It's the trailer shot, the bullet being shot. It's pretty cool shot, although I would offer I don't know if it's as impressive given that it comes right after him taking like like five hundred bullets in his chest, you know, from like a mini gun. Yeah, but it's it's a it's a good trailer moment. That guy by the way, you know, because they had plans to make a sequel, and Brian Singer had said that the sequel would have revealed that guy who who makes that shot, that's John Corbin, who is the Superman villain Metallo. Mm hmm. This is the sequel that of course not not to be. But yeah, anyway, you were saying, sorry, well not just about the nine to eleven thing.
Speaker 2: I remember when it was closer in years to that, I remember thinking, how would you make a time travel movie now, because you just have it on your mind, like, well, you've got to go warn everybody. But now I think enough time has passed it that wouldn't be one of the first thoughts in your mind, Like you said, it's become a part of history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so weird right like time.
Speaker 2: You know, this, this whole thing with Parker Posey and the.
Speaker 1: These guys are the writers, by the way, right they wrote X two also, so they just they went over. They just jumped over with them. Damn they look very young, they really so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Parker Porte, this whole thing, just the way that it's shot and the way that it's cut. I was like, this is very uh like kinetic, but also.
Speaker 1: Unnerving in a good way.
Speaker 2: Like I mean that as a compliment, like the way it has some energy, Yeah, lots of energy, and it makes me uncomfortable, like she really does feel you know, or I complain a lot at least about like the shaky camera to try to manipulate you into thinking something crazy is happening. But this is just a really well captured feeling of being out of control.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was really impressed with it. And then it's great. Then you have the way that they reveal that she's being carried away right where you see looks like she's about to hit something and then just slowly she lifts into the air through the windshield.
Speaker 1: It's great. See this is the type of sequence. Now we get it that you know all of this was a distraction, right, so that the lex can can lift the kryptonite. I watched this though, and I'm like, why not do it in the daytime? Right, Like most of this movie does not exist in daytime. It feels like, hmm, like I just, I just I feel like it's an odd choice, you know, it's I don't know, it does I guess it doesn't matter that much. But to me this look at that cell phone by the way, I know, I know, it just adds to this this muddy visual scheme. You know, that's a really interesting point.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it might feel more supermanesque seeing him do these fantastic things under a bright blue sky, but this feels kind of singery, doesn't it. I mean, like you think of X Men, I think of kind of like I don't know, a lot of nightscapes and that kind of cinematography.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm well, that's really what this movie drives home, is that not every director is suited to every subject matter clearly. Yeah, and again, the thinging at the time, oh well, he did this comic book thing. He'll be great with that comic book thing. And oddly enough, you know, and that was the same thing that informed Tim Burton being hired to do the Superman movie in the mid to late nineties. And I remember at the time, I was like, I don't I'm not sure about that. Yeah. Yeah, And that's worth recognizing. I mean, this movie arrived after you know, almost fifteen years of progress of trying to get a movie made. I mean, look, it's worth remembering as late as ninety two, Christopher Reeve was at least considering coming back. Wow.
Speaker 2: And so the last one before that was Night or eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Eight. So the soul Kinds owned the Superman rights. They licensed those rights to Golan Globus. They made Superman four, which was a disaster, and then after that the rights ended up coming back to the sal Kinds. And and I remember in the early nineties they were planning to make it was going to be called Superman the New Movie. Really literally, yeah, super So like we had Superman the Movie, this is going to be Superman the New Movie and instead of Superman five. And their plan was to basically get rid of everybody but bring back Christopher Reeve. And Carrie Bates was a combook writer. He had written a script Brainiac was going to be the villain and and Christopher Reeve had talked about it. He said, you know, it's something I'm considering. You know, it's you really, if you're going to come back, it has to be really worth it. After the disappointment of the last one, so it was he had not ruled it out. And then you know, shortly after that, obviously he had his accident. But in the interim, Warner Brothers had reacquired the Superman rights. Okay, that's why. So a couple of things. There was the super Boy television series that was produced by the sal Kinds, and Warner Brothers had by then reacquired the rights, and they were like, well, this show needs to end because they it wasn't produced by them, and that's what led to Loewis and Clark. But but even then they were in the process of developing the Superman you know, the super what what I think it started as Superman Lives. It was adapted from the Death of Superman thing, and that's what what Tim Burton eventually got involved in. Okay, Christopher Reeves accident was in five, so by that time I think it was no longer on the table for him to come back, right wow, five, Yeah, ninety Did I say five? Sorry, ninety five? I was young ninety five to when did heh? Four? He died? I see? So he lived with that condition for nine years. Yeah, yeah, it's crazy. You know what was that documentary? We should recommend that? Yeah? Super Man super Slash Slash Yeah yeah, did you as that? Yeah? Yeah? Oh fantastic, Yeah, very good.
Speaker 2: By the way, these pictures that Perry's upset about where he's like, you know, a boy with a cell phone took these pictures and they're better than the ones you were taking, Jimmy. And there are these, like HD beautiful photographs that this kid took with like a phone with like a potato.
Speaker 1: Camera, you know, like I looked it up out of curiosity.
Speaker 2: So if this was June two thousand and six when this came out, the iPhone came out in June two thousand and seven, Okay, so it's pretty close.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, the the Tim Burton film, I don't know if you remember like that that fell apart fairly late in the process.
Speaker 2: It was like, yeah, pretty close to shooting, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It was? Yeah, And the plan had been like Michael Keaton was going to cameo as Batman, Like, there's all this a lot of ambitions, and I think we've talked about this before. I at this point, with with twenty you know, almost thirty years of hindsight, I'm like, I kind of wish that movie existed, just that I could see it, just so that I could see it.
Speaker 2: I know, same, same, I mean, would it have been the right thing?
Speaker 1: Like who knows? But at the time, I remember for sure at the time being like, oh please God, this sounds awful. Hey sure, yeah, yeah, Nicholas Cage just Superman't didn't sound like a great idea to me, right, But even back then, you know, and before Burton got involved, as you mentioned, Kevin Smith had written a script and I remember him talking. He John Peters was the producer, who was a producer this too, by the way, was like, oh, we gotta like we don't want I'm wearing the same old costume. It's got to look like nineties style. And Kevin Smith's like, I don't know what does that mean? You know, so literally in the script it's like first appearance of Superman. It's like Superman appears nineties style. Man's Yeah, but that fell apart in the late nineties and then and then they they the next iteration was called Superman flyby Yeah. Jj Abrams, right, jj Abrams were with the script for Originally it was going to be Brett Ratner, so we're just it's just all kinds of sex predators, that's right. Yeah, right, Brett Ratner was going to direct that, and and then he dropped out, and that was kind of a that story was a little out there, right, Yeah. I think the biggest change in that is that Krypton didn't explode. Right, It's just like in a there's a civil war, kelll is like a Kryptonian prince and that sounds terrible to me.
Speaker 2: Right, It's only he gets sent to Earth and then one of the villains from his planet comes over something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like Lex Luthor is a Kryptonian in that script.
Speaker 2: It's just one of those things where everybody feels like they need to like subvert and it's like sometimes, no, we want to see that, we're here for the thing.
Speaker 1: Just give us the thing. Yeah, just give us the thing. And that one fell apart, by the way, because Harry Knowles of all people just tore it to shreds. Really. Oh and and back when that guy had an inordinate amount of sway in Hollywood. Yeah, I mean that wasn't era, it was yeah, you know, but but Rattner laughed and then make G was gonna direct, it was gonna be that.
Speaker 2: All these names.
Speaker 1: It's such a moment, such a moment. This is like, really, I think I think make G wanted or no, no, Brett Rattner wanted Matt Boehmer to play Superman. I can see that. Yeah, I can totally see that. I think McGee wanted Henry Cavell. Wow, yeah, because I'm pretty sure Cavell auditioned for that. Yeah, he got his turn in the barrel though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at some of the under Brett Ratner's moment.
Speaker 1: There's people they wanted to cast, Josh Hart and Josh Harten Walker, Brendan Fraser, Ashton Kutcher. Like this is such a time capsule, isn't it. It really is? Yeah, Ashton Kutcher, Oh my gosh. Yeah, can you imagine. Yeah, I mean I don't know if you remember, but in the lead up to Batman Begins, they were going to do Batman Versus Superman. Yeah, I have that script. I've never read it, though, how funny. Yeah, like Andrew Kevin Walker I think wrote it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and that one. I think they were talking about Josh Hartnett playing Superman. I think Christian Bale even is going to be Batman. Wow? Really? Or like was linked to it? Yeah, Wolfgang Peterson and was going to direct that, right, but he did Troy instead. Okay, it's weird how these things happen, right, certain things have to happen the way they happen.
Speaker 2: I was going to bring that up because you mentioned that a lot with if we don't do Batman and Robin Yep and the failure of that and the rethink that had to happen at Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: We don't get Batman begins, That's right.
Speaker 2: So it makes me wonder if we had gotten that Tim Burton Superman movie, maybe it would have worked in some interesting way. Maybe it wouldn't have Where would it have directed us?
Speaker 1: Next? Right? I think that's sort of that. That sums up the dilemma that Warner Brothers has had with Superman, much more so than with Batman, because I think Batman, for whatever reason, is much more of an evergreen character. Yeah, I think Superman is an evergreen also but I feel like there's just something about having to continually remind people that Superman is relevant. Yeah he gets overthought, yes, yeah, right, and and.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, by the way, I just want to call that out, that visual of him watching her go up the elevator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, him being a creepy stalker weirdo. Well, I don't know at this moment, I thought it was kind of sweet. The way it's visualized is effective. Yeah yeah, yeah, see even this right here where she's smoking. I don't know, there's just something about it just feels like a kid in a school project. Yeah yeah, yeah. I mean I don't know if that makes sense, but right like.
Speaker 2: No, I do, I do understand, you know, yeah, you know I kind of wonder No, sorry, get back to what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, just just just a button that thought I think they with with Batman. You know, it's just easier to be like, here's here's another Batman mystery, and I just kind of wish they would do that with Superman. I think that's what James Gunn is hoping to do, where it's just oh, here's another Superman. It's just you know, I think that there is a they do try too hard sometimes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And maybe with Batman also, there's kind of a general tone you can anticipate, and maybe the style will be tweaked a little bit, but the tone you kind of know what you're walking into with a Batman movie. It with Superman, everybody has an opinion.
Speaker 1: I think to just just to push back on that a little bit. I think with Batman people are willing to. It's more elastic, there's more ability to en gumpass more tones. Sure, right, So in other words, you can go from Batman forever, oh ten years later Batman begins and still have it be Batman. H Right. I think with Superman, if you color too far outside the lines this way or that, the audience will reflect push back. Yeah, And to some extent, that's what we saw in the aftermath of Man of Steel right, where there was some folks who just would not accept that depiction of Superman. I didn't have problem with it. I know you didn't know. I really liked that movie, you know, but look, let's be real. If if everything was peaches and sunshine, we'd be talking about Man of Steel five right now, you know, instead of the umpteenth iteration. I wish we had gotten at least one more. You're not kidding.
Speaker 2: Yeah see, but even this, I mean this, I know we're not huge fans of this sort of muddy look. I almost blame the cameras more than I personally.
Speaker 1: I think you're a palette. But I would be okay.
Speaker 2: With another story in this take tone, whatever you want to call it. I just don't like the story, Like, I don't like the characterizations. That's my problem. If there had been a better story in this aesthetic.
Speaker 1: I'd be okay with it. Right. No, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Just this sort of romantic I don't know, visual style or something that's kind of interesting from like a movie or two. But I just yeah, like you you've been doing.
Speaker 1: This right here real quick. She's like, oh, Clark said da da da, And he's like Clark, who's that? I'm like, what are you talking about? Like I know I thought that too, And she's like, Oh, he's just some guy I work with. Yeah, it's just irks me, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well that's interesting because then it maybe makes you think of sometimes you read about a filmmaker that comes in that thinks or says, well, I wasn't really a fan of material, so I was like, well, can.
Speaker 1: I bring to this? Right?
Speaker 2: But you're saying that he came in as a big fan of Superman, so it's interesting how.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my my question is a fan of what? Yeah? Right? Yeah, Like what was it that supposedly spoke to you? Because again, just just to go back to what I was saying before, if you watch Batman begins and Chris Nolan tells you, hey, you know, I'm a big fan of Donner Superman, I'd be like, oh, right on, I see it, right, I don't. I don't see it here? Yeah, I see the most superficial elements, right right. I think I think fundamentally what what I don't get a sense of in this film is Okay, he he's back and he's helping, but he enjoys helping people. Mm hmm. Here it's like a burden. Hmmm. He never smiles. That's the other thing, right, people remember a Man of Steel? Oh why doesn't he smile? I'm like, bro does not smile in this movie except for a few bits here and there, you know, but literally, you know, there's a bit he's like, you say the world doesn't need to say it. And every minute I hear people calling up for one or whatever. Right, I'm like, oh my god, Like, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I did that bumped me also because I don't I understand what he's saying. But yeah, maybe it's the delivery or something. It doesn't feel very.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, well it makes it seem like a burden. Yeah, exactly. And I think I think, and maybe this is just me. Look, I'm bringing my own biases, but you know, I've got several decades of Superman fandom, and I think I think the most aspirational aspect of Superman is that he enjoys helping people. He's like, I can do this, and that's what I can do is help, right, you know. Uh, you know, Christopher Reeve said this, right, what makes him a hero is that he has all this power, but he has the decency to use it the right way, right, And and so this sense of like, ah, here I go helping, you know, oh, let me rescue this woman. Like dude, it's like, don't do us any favors Man, right right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just even watching these scenes, which by the way, are beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is really beautiful.
Speaker 2: Him them, Superman and lois flying together here over the city. Although I did wonder why you took that detour to her house. I was like, he like left the city to swing by her house and.
Speaker 1: She's just to specifically like, hey, that's where you live.
Speaker 2: But then they go back. I don't know, it just felt weird to me.
Speaker 1: That's where you live with the man that you're not with right now, right right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's just a real wistfulness. I mean, just looking at this with the sound off, it's just making me, I don't know, I want to feel a little. You said, it's humorless and there's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, no jubilance, and there's no joy and there's no but it is beautiful. I mean this, this is beautiful. Yeah. Yeah, I think that you need to balance the quiet moments with some big action beats, and this movie is conspicuously devoid of big action beats. Yeah. And this is this is where I say, like Man of Steel, like I, in my opinion, overcorrected a little too far in the other direction where you just have super destructo you know, nine to eleven times three, right, and it's like, can we just can we find a happy medium here? Please?
Speaker 2: I know, I remember that's my one note, like I would love to watch a fan cut version of that movie that scales back a bit in the third act, because it goes on like.
Speaker 1: A little too long. Yeah. My resturrection from our conversation when we watched it is like, you know, maybe trim the Smallville action scene a little sooner and then and and he had dialed by down by like ten percent, you know, act three, you know, And I think they're still trying to lick that, you know. I think I think even even the new film, without getting into it, I think gets a little a little too much for me personally, you know. Interesting, I think that when we think about it, the third act of Superman seventy eight is the San Andreas fault, which was fairly like that. That was large scale back then, right, but it feels sedate, you know, compared to what we can do now. And yet, in my opinion, when you watch that movie, you still feel it all this stuff where he's going from this place is trying to you know, fix this that, you know, the rescue people from the dam and fix the fault, and like all of that tracks and I think that's like the third act of this movie. It's just nonsense to me. You know, yeah, there are no stakes, and you know it's a weird one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's just the moment we just saw where she's come back from flying with Superman and then her hair's all must up and she's confronting James Marsin's character and it, you know, it kind of has like a sexual sort of allusion to it.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to have to wrestle with these feelings watching this movie and sort of feeling bad for the Martian character.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. I'm trying to figure out, what does the movie want me to feel? Right, Because on the one hand, you say, well, we like Lois, so of course we'd want her to be with a good guy. Yeah, so you don't want to paint him as being just a total jerk, you know.
Speaker 2: But I'm not getting any sense of what they had before, right, So I'm not sensing like, oh, this feels right with them back together. Yes, it's missing for me, Yeah, odd choices yeah yeah. Uh oh, someone's been in my bed.
Speaker 1: Somebody's been sleeping in my bed and they're still here. Yeah. I'm like, Superman, just put a lock on your ship. Man, it feels like, yeah, this should be a better security system. This is a recurring problem because of course in Superman two, Lex gets into the fortress. Yep. I think the krypton Os isn't great where Joe L's like hey, my son, and Lex is like.
Speaker 2: Hey, dad, right, tell me everything.
Speaker 1: Give me all your passwords exactly. That's really funny.
Speaker 2: Wait, now something I read tell me if this is true. Brandon Routh auditioned for Smallville.
Speaker 1: That sounds familiar, That sounds right. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's funny how it's just some people have the Superman look. So even Henry Cavell being in conversation this early, you know, and it's like they're just always going to be on the short list. I guess it's a little bit like Bond, right, and then yeah, like you know, you know, if if you're a male between this age and this age, and you have certain certain characteristics.
Speaker 1: You'll probably be on that list, you know. Yeah, I mean, certainly Henry Cavell, I've said it before. I mean that man was chiseled from granite to play Superman. Yeah, he was put on this earth to play Superman at least once. You know, I'm glad he got that chance. Yeah, yeah, same, And to your point, I wish he'd gotten a few more chances. Yeah. Same. So Lowis is just like a bad parent, right, this is crazy. Yeah. She's like, hey, I'm going to wander onto this strange boat. Come on, son, Yeah, in pursuit of something that's kind of hinky. But like, yeah, I have my son, I'll just bring him along, I do. This is kind of funny. The kid is like, are we trespassing? She doesn't?
Speaker 2: She say like no, well yes, but I mean yeah, I would never do this by myself. Yeah, but this is kind of a good moment there though, when she's surprised both of them, her ends Lex are surprised to see one another. Well, I love that the discovery of the wigs is the like to me, it's like it's like in Star Trek two, Checkov sees the Botany Bay Botany Bay.
Speaker 1: We have to get out of here, you know, right, and it's that equivalent. There's just like wigs, wigs like other people wear wigs. Right, right, let's talk about Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Yes, please, I feel like this is something that works great in concept, certainly back then pre like everything yeah, you know, pre me gesturing all of this. You know, you're like, oh, yeah, totally makes sense. And yet he doesn't make much of a mark in this movie. In my opinion, is that strange because he is hamming it as much as this movie hams. Yes, right, So why do you think that is? He's just I don't know, just tonally. I have a hard time buying him as the gene Hackman les sure, yeah, yeah, you know, I think that might factor in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's just something sort of well, I mean, Gene Hackman, gen Hackman.
Speaker 1: But I mean certainly Kevin Spacey mid two thousands was at least as well regarded. Oh yeah, oh maybe it was his moment, right, I mean, he had won two Oscars, but this point, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Would wager in this moment a lot of people would say he's one of.
Speaker 1: Their favorite actors. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Yeah. This is another scene one of the few things I remembered with her and the boy and the piano. Oh, when he just straight up murders that guy. Yeah, that's how you do it, That's how you do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, but yeah, you know what I mean, Like everyone is playing this movie very straight and serious, right, and he's occasionally hamming it up, right.
Speaker 1: Yes he is. I mean in a very very muted way, right, he's muted ham Yeah. Yeah. But also Kevin Spacey is kind of a hammy actor.
Speaker 2: I even remember when American Beauty came out and everybody was like falling all over him for that. I was like, yes, he's doing something interesting, but he also doesn't. He feels otherworldly a little bit. And the way that he's talking to people, you know.
Speaker 1: Like I hate my job.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, he's always been a little over the top. But I think at the time people were like, yeah, yeah, no, yeah, he's interesting.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny about American Beauty. I've only seen that movie one time. Really, I've only seen it the one time, and I remember enjoying it. Yeah, I liked it. I watched the opening night. I watched it at the Canterra with Sean and and it's just funny how in retrospect, I'm just like ew, like, like, well, just so much Ew. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of you in that movie. I mean, I know that's kind of the point. But also at the same time, you could argue that maybe the movie doesn't even recognize it by the end, like it presents a lot at you, but it doesn't reckon with it. It's just sort of like, oh, well, you know, everybody's just trying their best.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I already watched it a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm curious. I mean, did it hold up for you? H I mean yes and no.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it would probably be easy to just say no. But there's a lot of you know, interesting filmmaking and performances and weird ideas. And that's kind of my take, is it presents a lot of weird stuff. Yeah, and I think it it's meant to be like, yeah, this isn't okay along the way, but by the end of it, it just kind of forgives everybody right, and it's you know, it's like, well, because I mean spoiler, you know, Kevin Spacey's character dies and it's like, well, isn't that just kind of sad? You know, he maybe he was just he was just trying his best, and this is just you know, minutes after he almost had sex with his underage girl, but he didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't because he's a good guy. He's been fantasizing about her the whole movie and exactly the audience has made complicit in that, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's it's messy, but I can't say it isn't interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's Sam Mendez, right, it is Sam Menda's. Yeah. I think that was his first theatrical movie because he was a theater director and Alan Ball wrote the that's right, yeah, I mean that movie was a big moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he came out, it's a big deal. Yeah. Yeah. So Lex's plan is goddamn idiotic. Right.
Speaker 2: That was the other thing again that I remember where it was like, I'm going to create all this land for real estate, and then he he creates like this immediate apocalypse landscape.
Speaker 1: It makes like this is for anybody who who looked at Lexa's plan in the first film, I was like, I don't know, man sink into sinking California into the ocean so you have more beachfront. It's like, oh, hold my beer.
Speaker 2: Right right, he's gonna create a new continent that's going to overtake North America.
Speaker 1: Like you almost wish like because he's so like and this is what we're gonna do, and you just want los to be like that's idiotic. Yes, oh that would have been Yeah, you are a stupid person, you know, Like, actually I would have love that. That always makes more sense, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, see this this stuff he's doing here, it feels like he's like, but I'm in a superhero movie.
Speaker 1: Don't I get to do this a little bit? But it's it's so off kilter because it's just sprinkled in these odd places totally. He's like, you're not getting the big picture or whatever. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and then you got poor Parker Posey over here. It was this brilliant, interesting, idiostocratic actress, and then she's just sitting there looking at mostly.
Speaker 1: For the rest of the movie, like, am I wrong? Cast her as lowest you're gonna get something interesting? Yeah? Definitely. So this here, you know, where he's got this little cylinder made of kryptonite and he like puts it towards the kid and the kid starts getting sick. I would have loved like four more minutes of him just going close, far close, far. I would That's really funny.
Speaker 2: I do like this, though, I Mean I'm just looking at his realization reactions and the kid.
Speaker 1: Am I wrong? Is the kid kind of underplaying it a little bit here. Now that's the kid's like that he's that he's getting sick with the kryptonite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got what was happening. But it's not like he's slumping or any different than he was.
Speaker 1: Again, I think it would be hilarious if he's very obviously getting sick and then you move it away and he's obviously very happy and jovial. Yeah, yeah, very Just keep going back and forth like a Looney Tunes cartoon exactly.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like a cartoon like oh oh oh oh oh yeah, just back and forth.
Speaker 1: That would been hilarious. Now, the thing about this, right, so that's the first inclination, Oh you know, who's that boy's father? How do you just drop in? Oh, by the way, uh, Superman didn't pull out in time, and and and then he left her, like like, how do you make Superman a deadbeat dad? I know, I know. Like my point is, none of this makes sense to me because because like I don't know, that's a big deal. If Superman knocked up Lois Lane, you have fundamentally altered the trajectory of these characters. Yeah, and I'm not saying there aren't stories to do that. There's one of my favorite Superman's ever is Superman and Lois, which is him as a parent to two teenagers. Sure, and it is fan freakantastic. I gotta watch that. I know you've at this moment. Honestly, I said, at this moment, Tyler Hecklin is second only to Christopher Reive for me. Wow, you know, yeah, it's terrific. So I'm not saying there aren't stories to tell, but I'm saying that's such you have to get into that. You have to be like, how when did this happen? How did this? Say? You know? Yeah, it's also.
Speaker 2: Yeah muted and keep saying the melancholy keeps coming to my mind. Just the reaction actions to this, even at the end when he's watching the kids sleep, that's a big damn deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, where do we go from here? What does this mean? He and Lois need to talk, you know, But it's just so oh that's my child, I guess, and then he flies away.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't know, so weird, right, Yeah, I agree with you. I mean, well, singer co wrote this, he directed it. It just feels like a fundamental I don't know, wrongheaded approach to all this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, especially as as we barreled towards the third act and again it's like we've still got an hour left, dude.
Speaker 2: I literally actually just tapped my iPad and I was like, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, the pacing is interminable. I mean we're watching it right now. This is really slow pace, you know, execution of this moment.
Speaker 2: Now, I will say though, this this is one of the moments that I remembered, which is this creepy.
Speaker 1: This guy is creepy. Yeah right, I mean, forget the tattoo, which I looked up.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what John Wayne Gacy's clown makeup look like.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, good times.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's great. You know, the child killer, So that's tattooed on the back of his skull. But like, I like this moment actually on paper, this is kind of interesting, right, like this guard playing piano with the boy, but it's just like he's interminable. Like just the execution, the pacing of it is just so indulgent.
Speaker 1: It's it's indulgent, and that makes me believe that that a singer had final edit. Yeah, which is you know, I've said this before. Final cut is often held up as like a thing like, oh, you know this, these directors don't even get final cut, you know, And I'm like, you know, yeah, those directors shouldn't have final cut. Yeah, yeah, I'm just gonna put that. I don't know if that's a it's a controversial opinion, but not every director has earned it or uses it. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but sometimes it's good to have someone pushing you.
Speaker 1: Well. You know, I've said before, you look at like Steven Spielberg obviously has final edit. But one thing you'll say about Steven Spielberg is he he cuts his movie such that it'll it'll play, it'll play to the wise audience.
Speaker 2: And he has a long time editor. Yeah that I'm sure they have a very close, honest, forthright relationship, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and this is edited by John Otman, by the way, who did the score.
Speaker 2: Isn't that fascinating? I remember that, yeah, as a fact from back in the day. The composer and the editor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. Well, it's like real quick.
Speaker 2: Ben burt Right, he edited the prequel Star Wars prequels and he's the sound designer.
Speaker 1: That's interest. I don't think I knew that. Yeah, he's in that. If you watch the.
Speaker 2: I forget what it's called, the saga begins, oh right, right, yeah, yeah, you see Bert at an avid cutting.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that's back when nonlinear was just starting. Yeah, yeah, crazy. So this is the other thing that really jumped out at me. There. There's there's a lot of a lot of blue screen stuff, yeah, or green screen stuff, and that that distracts me more so than I would have expected. And I wonder it's if it's because of shooting on video and it's not up to snuff yet. You know.
Speaker 2: We also we haven't really commented on it, but there's a bit of that. I remember when the Matrix, the second one came out, there's a big deal made out of creating a full body digital stunt double. You know, so you had all the smiths that Neo's fighting, and some of the shots you can tell it looks like stunting in and it looks really great, and then some of it looks like this like PlayStation three graphic of a human being And yeah, I mean early days, and they've come a long way with that. Actually, there was something recently that I don't remember what it was, but they said like, oh, yeah, yeah, this guy when he falls here, that's a digital stunt double. And I was like, well, be damned, looks they did it. They cracked it, like I can't tell anymore. But in this one, there's it feels like a lot of digital body doubling for Superman when he's kind of unnecessarily unnecessarily yes, when he's in the air, it didn't feel necessary.
Speaker 1: It looks kind of rubbery and weird. Just put Brandon Rath on wires. What are you guys doing? You know? Yeah? So that Yeah, I mean I like this scene in concept. I like the whole.
Speaker 2: It's not just a hint, like the Hinchman's kind of inherently interesting because he's going to sit next to the kid at the piano and play a song, and that gives an opening for Lois to send out their coordinates, right, I mean, you have to squint to not think about the whole Internet connection noise that's happening that he doesn't hear ten feet away.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah. See, so this is this is this sequence. I think it makes me uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: He's gonna murder this kid's mother in front of him.
Speaker 1: Right, So so you get it. It has to make you uncomfortable because Jason has to be seeing something so scary that it would push him into this, you know, like his his power to activate. You get it. But again, this goes to what we were talking about earlier. It's like all these plot points that are all kind of not nurtured properly. If Superman has a son, that's your story. Yeah, you know that's not the oh and like we don't address it at all. Yeah, what are his powers? You know, that's a good point. I remember Brian Singer gave some interview where he was like, you know, for the next one, you know, we're gonna we're gonna Wrath of Khan. And I guess that meant, you know, going darker, maybe putting the kid in danger or something. And I'm like, well, I don't want to see that either. I know, I just want to see Superman saving people. Can we just do that? Can we just And here's the funny thing. I read that he had offered the role of General Zod to Jude Law. Yeah yeah, I saw that, and Jude Law either said nor it wasn't available, and so they got rid of the character. I'm like, can we please acknowledge that Superman has other villains than these two guys. Sure, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: And I got to say, as someone who hasn't really read the comics other than a handful you've given me, Yeah, I mean I do. I think it's affected me in that when you said that about Zod, I'm like, oh, that'd be great because that's what I know. Yeah, and Superman hasn't really been pushed villain wise in the movies. And so I you know, when the James Gun trailers were coming out and we're seeing it stacked with all these comic book looking people. I remember talking to friends that don't really read the comics watch the movies that were thinking like, I don't know, this looks weird. Sure, and I I remember wanting to ask you, then, well does it or.
Speaker 1: Is this what you know? It's more reflective of a comic book universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, maybe it's good to finally push that. So we are expanding the sandbox for Superman on Scoen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and what you realize is that was the great service that the Adam West Batman show did was put most of his villains into the public eye. And and sort of nestled them in the consciousness, right, so you know, above and beyond Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler. You know, you got you know, mister Freeze and Egghead and you know whoever else, right, Mad had had her right and then and then the animated show obviously was able to darken those characters. But Superman didn't really have that right because in the nineteen fifties show, they didn't even have Lex Luthor. In the nineteen fifties show, it was just guys and suits, m and gangsters and yeah, thieves throw. They would unload their clip on Superman and then throw their gun at him. Every every episode, just about this sequence. I like the way they bring in the John Williams music again. Every time that music comes in, your heart races a little bit. Yeah, now this I'm wondering, like, did he just fly through the top of the yeah elevator? I thought that too, I mean, in my I had to make it up in my head.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, I guess he pushed open the escape hatch at the time, I was.
Speaker 1: Trying to nitpick, but no, Yeah, see the stuff with him flying all looks pretty good. I think. I think it still holds up same. So if your technology is such where you can make that look convincing, why swap in Uncanny Valley Superman? Mm hmm yeah yeah right at at key moments. And this this is also random. This might be just me being nitpicky, but I I don't. I don't like how overly quaffed the spit curl is. That's funny that that stood out to me too, but I didn't think about it till the last scene. I think it's like a big chunk. Yeah, that's really funny. No, but but when you when you look at Superman. Okay, so obviously there's Lex Luthor, Lex Luth there's the big one, and in general, thanks to thanks to the movies, I would say, really is big. But you know he's got uh well, I mentioned there's Matallo, there's Brainiac, there's a parasite, there's I mean, there's there's a lot, you know, a toy man. I'm just thinking of villains from from the nineties animated series Dark Side for goodness sake, you know, like there's an opportunity. Now his his rogues gallery is not as expansive or or as well known as Batman's, but like, let's let's try let's push the boundaries a little bit. H You know, I I think that one thing I liked about about Lois and Clark during its first season is that Lex Luther was in just about every episode, but he was the guy behind the scenes. Mmm. Sure, you know, he was the guy pulling the strings. But there was like some physical threat that Superman had to overcome, you know, right. That is kind of ironic, isn't it For.
Speaker 2: A series where the character can fly and has heat vision and you know, can freeze things with his breath that the movies have stayed relatively grounded otherwise, you know, like you don't see him fighting aliens very well, I mean z Od and everything, but they look humanoid.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I almost. I wonder if it goes to sort of like people are willing to suspend their disbelief only so far. Hmmm sure. So it's like you tell us that this guy is an alien, he's got these powers. We'll go with you there. But thing beyond that it becomes a little hard to hard to swallow, right, like people have a limit, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah this, Uh well, I was thinking, like, is Metropolis like just screwed, like all its underground infrastructure and subway systems, and after this whole shockwave that ripples through the city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know this sequence, yeah, is I like the little bits that we see. I like the thing where he's Superman is flying and he turns upside down and he shoots the he like incinerates the glass, you know. Yeah, yeah, that's a cool thing. But this feel, this whole bit, it feels like a very uh this this bit right here. I like this. Yeah, I think that's cool. Cool of that heat vision it is. Yeah, it's cool. But I don't know, there's just something like this stuff doesn't really land for me the way the way the earthquake scene in the seventy eight movie does I get that? Why do you think that is? I don't know. You know, there's something about the pacing. There is a lot of music that's really highlighting the action.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is again.
Speaker 2: I do love the way this movie looks. Objectively. Yeah, I think it's beautifully shot, even the stuff from.
Speaker 1: The Grant now. But yeah, it like I said, I think it's almost a little too in love with itself, in love with its look instead of doing what will bring us into the action. Into the story. It's just.
Speaker 2: Concerning itself with beautiful photography. Yeah, and it's maybe creating a little bit of a distance.
Speaker 1: So I just watched X two in the last two weeks, right, and so it's very fresh. And one thing I will say about that movie, I mean it moves, yeah, you know, and and uh, the the emotional beats hit, but the action beats uh pull you in, you know, and and and it builds to a dramatic crescendo. I think it's a remarkably effective movie in this particular genre, you know. I think it's one of it's one of the better examples. And I think that's why there was such such excitement about Brian Singer. Well, if he can do for Superman what he did for the X Men, then then then move move aside, you know. Yeah, yeah, and so that you know, like like this this piece right here, you know, it's it's weirdly devoid of drama as the Daily Planet globe is about to fall, but it's beautiful, it's beautifully shot. But this should be I don't I mean, we should be feeling.
Speaker 2: This more, you know, That's what I'm I don't know if I'm saying it well enough, But I think that's just it, like it's it's gorgeous. Yeah, and I think it's like focusing on his gorgeousness more than what it needs to make us actually feel or experience. Yeah, you know, because these are gorgeous shots. But yeah, I totally agree with you. I mean, that thing almost yeah, crushed everybody, but yeah, I'm more focused on how beautiful this shot is.
Speaker 1: Atlas right got the globe on his back.
Speaker 2: I did think what a terrible design that thing is on the top of that building, the globe you mad, Yeah, they did not think that's true.
Speaker 1: But I love it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool it coming off its hinges and crushing that water tower and then the water beginning to splash down on Perry like making that look up.
Speaker 1: It's all of that tracks and tracks, and I think in a design sense, I mean there's something that the the Art Deco approach to the inside of the daily Planet and the whole you know, the globe and stuff, that that all works, you know. I I think for me, I feel slightly at arm's length with this incarnation of Metropolis, whereas you know, the Richard Donner's approach right farisamilitude I think that that gave a liveliness to to Metropolis in in those original films.
Speaker 2: I agree, because yeah, it feels more like a painting than a lived in place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and and just to be clear, why am I hitting Richard Donner so hard, It's because Brian Singer has invited that comparison, right right, So I'm like, well, if you want to continue that, then you have to you have to pick up on his aesthetic approach, you know. Yep, totally like they shot this in Sydney, I think, and which was the style at the time, which was the time. But you know, with the matrix, it wor right because it's meant to be like slightly unreal, you know, right. And so there's something about saying this is an American city, but us being like, oh, that doesn't feel like an American city. Does that make sense? Yeah, totally, especially with the matrix because it's all Chicago streets and stuff, right right, right right. You know.
Speaker 2: I was reading about how this came out in IMAX, and there was four scenes that were converted into three D.
Speaker 1: And what was funny about that.
Speaker 2: I mean that was you know, that was just the beginning, right, and we would have this whole Avatar and then every movie was being converted into three D.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize. I thought this was kind of early for that thing. I didn't realize it was happening. I associate it with, you know, two thousand, late two thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was reading the way that they let you know to put on your three D glasses, because it wasn't the whole film was. There'd be an icon of Clark Kent's glasses flashing in green at the bottom of the screen, like, put on.
Speaker 1: Your glasses, folks.
Speaker 2: I just I just thought that was kind of an almost cute, charming little artifact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a different time.
Speaker 2: A different time, different time. I don't remember that though.
Speaker 1: Did you just see this in three D? Do you remember that? I don't believe I saw this in three D? Yeah. Yeah. You know what's funny is I remember before this came out, Warner Brothers Home Video had released this, just this cavalcade of Superman stuff on DVD. So like Loeis and Clark season whatever, you know, the George Reeves show season whatever, the super Boys show finally came out on DV, like all the Superman, the Amiate series, you name it. All this stuff came out on DVD, and I got all that shit, all of it, okay, and each of them came with a free ticket to see Superman Returned. So I'm like, all right, well, this is fantastic because I'm gonna be watching the shit out of this movie. I'm gonna be I'm gonna be going every night for a week. Yeah. And then I watched it opening night, me and No'm gonna and it ended and I was like, well, okay then and all those tickets went to waste.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of like the funny thing you would do with the extras. I mean, you'd obviously throwing them over your shoulders, like the laziest one, like setting them ablaze in like a burning trash barrel or something, walking away with your leather jacket collar popped up.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing. I didn't even feel that level of disconnect from this movie, or you know, I didn't walk out of the theater so dissatisfied.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you just saying that now it makes me wonder, Yeah, what did I mean? I said how we felt at the end of Crystal Skull. What was your feeling walking.
Speaker 1: Into the theater? I was like, I was basically like, okay, okay, interesting, you know, and and kind of like, okay, okay, I guess that's what we're doing now. And you know, I'd have to go back and read my review. My review at the time was was generally positive, and it was positive in the context of Okay, we've got like a foundation here, now let's build on it, right And and I remember very distinctly talking about the plane crash sequence and singling that out, and I said, like, I drew that nine eleven connection. I was like, in the fantasy of the world of the movies, we have Superman who's able to catch a falling plane, you know, before it crashes, and and it spoke to that moment, you know. But I remember being like, okay, kind of, let's see what they do in the next one. Sure, And so who knows, right had they made I mean, their intention was to make a sequel, and based on the box office they weren't. It wasn't unwarranted to think that there was an audience for it. I think what ended up kiboshing those plans was Brian Singer kept getting busy with shit to do, and then finally it just you know, the all the actors contracts Sunset it.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, maybe you imagine with the sort of middling response, Yeah, he lost some.
Speaker 1: Enthusiasts, lost the enthusiasm, I would imagine. I mean, he said later. I think this was after he made Jack the Giant Slayer. He's like, if I had to do it again, I I just reboot it. I wouldn't have cast Brandon Routh something like that. I'm like, bro, yeah, kind of a dick. Yeah. Yeah. I think he even said he would have cast Nicholas Holt and in the lead role, as I recall, which is ironic because now here he is, Yeah, an a lead role. If not the league we've been pretty young then, yeah, right, I mean when was that like twenty ten or something. M Yeah, Actually I don't know how old he is Nicholas Holt. I mean he's got to be in his thirties now, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this worldwide, it made just under four hundred million. Yeah, got two hundred million in the US. So yeah, you know, I think it was at the ninth highest grossing movie of two thousand and six, So it's in there, but certainly not what they would expect.
Speaker 1: Well, my recollection is that I think a week later, priors to the Caribbean two came out and just clabbered it. Oh okay, And in fact, I remember, now that I think about it, I remember I visited Chicago the week so I watched this, and then that next week, you know, I'm and I went to Chicago and we were at Oberweiss, the dairy, you know, and this was across the street from this. This is on Army Trail, so like, you know, near near Strafford Square, and we're sitting there eating ice cream, and a whole bunch of kids, like teenagers come in all dressed like Pirates and they just got out of the Pirates of the Caribbean screening. Yeah, and I was like, oh shit, Like that was the first time I realized like, oh, this is a thing like Pirates. Yeah, that was a moment. Those movies were huge. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See now this feels like I just checked. There's about with credits forty minutes left. Yep, this should be twenty minutes left. Absolutely, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like your third act here. Now logistically, here's the problem. So this is Lex Luthor's big land mask that he's going to have people fighting to live on? Yes, is Lex luthoran an idiot? See?
Speaker 2: That was my That's my memory when I think of this movie is he had this plan to create new Land, but it looked like a hellscape. Yeah, and I remember that feeling ridiculous. So I was kind of eager in rewatching this to see if there was some sort of explanation or you know, that was dealt with. But there isn't Like you could even imagine him being like no, no, no, what is this? You know, like he had he realizes he had a plan, but he didn't think it through entirely and it's not going to work.
Speaker 1: You could do that right now.
Speaker 2: He still seems so confident in this moment. Why not have him be furious that it's not working the way he thought it would. And then he stabbed Superman with the Kryptonite, and you know, like, why is he still so okay with what he's created?
Speaker 1: Or even like, don't even have that be the plan? Just have this be his thing to this is his final revenge against Superman, like luring him to this land mass that's poisonous to him. Yeah, sure, we like why have I mean, he's made multiple powerpoints or whatever with his island growing or what. Right. I'm like, like, he obviously has bought into that, and I'm like, but that's stupid. Yeah, so just have this b year trap for Superman. Sure, you know, Yeah, that's funny too.
Speaker 2: By the way that you bring up the power points, because they aren't power points, there are these like actual printed masks's true lower effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very funny in old school.
Speaker 2: And then he had the several made of the progression of the growth of the land.
Speaker 1: He hits the button, yeah exactly, and then it looked like this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he had to have a conversation with the artist and be like, maybe this one is like this much growth, okay, And then I'm thinking, yeah, maybe five seven seven's too many.
Speaker 1: It's like George Lucas talking to the concept artists, you know, yeah, exactly exactly. See now this here, I think, I think this notion of Lexu, they're just beating the living shit out of Superman. That's that's effective, you know, And and you know, I mean it's kind of heartrending when he stabs him with that Kryptonite shard and stuff. Yeah, but it feels I don't know, you tell me it feels so incongruous with the Lex that we have seen before, and I just mean the gene Hackman Lex. Sure, sure, you know what I mean like it it. I don't see how we get from that Lex to this one. Yeah, the brutality, the yeah, yeah, unless it's something see okay, a couple of things. Yeah, Lex Luthor was in jail and then Superman didn't show up to the Pearl hearing, so they let him go. Yeah, okay, clearly the system is broken. Yeah, like you need Superman to testify and not you know everything Lex did right, right evidence? Yeah? Yeah right, So that's weird, right, And.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't Superman be aware of that before he leaves? I don't think his planet, if there's remnants, it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Stupid, right, So anyway, my point is, what if between the time Superman left and now, like Lex Luthor has been through something that's made him far worse, you know what I'm saying, Like something has happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like a de Niro and Cape Fear. We see him doing pull ups and he's got like tattoos on his back.
Speaker 1: Now I mean something. I mean you're joking, but kind of you know, yeah, no, yeah, that's the funny version. But yeah, right, something like that, something that's made him this way.
Speaker 2: M h yeah, yeah, yeah, A switches flipped.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe maybe how about this, like a in a weird way, he he needed Superman when he was gone, and because of Superman not being there, he lost something or someone mm hmmm mmmmm. So it's this weird like dichotomy where he hates Superman. He should be glad he's gone, but when he is gone, he needed him, and now he blames him for being gone even though he should be happy. Does that make sense? I love that, right, I love that. Yeah. But that's that's the funny thing.
Speaker 2: Is this movie, for as long as it is, it's almost like deceptively simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's well, what did you say, right, it's under two hours of story? Yeah, I think that's about right. And it's over two and a half hours. Yeah. Well it's because it's there's like twenty minutes of the hospital stuff and all, you know, like yeah, yeah, see this here, like like when he gets stabbed and he's having trouble breathing and stuff. I mean, it's it's very heart wrenching, right, But I I think that I need we needed more build up to that we needed it needs to hit more.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, you mean like in this moment, specifically the execution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't I don't know that. Let me put this. I think it's effective to see Superman like take a pounding, you know, like to I think that's a good thing. We should see that he has weaknesses. But I we don't have the history with this Superman and this Lex to make this moment hit. And again it's what I'm saying, like it's it wants us to to sort of imprint all of that prior history. Yeah, but what I said before, I don't believe that the gene Hackman Lex would do this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that just feels like a problem covering the entire film, right, I mean, going back to this his what we're supposed to be bringing ourselves the history of Lewis and Clark here, which I'm just not feeling or able to fill in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, speaking of Richard being a hero here, you know what I mean, like, god damn hero, Yeah, he really is. And and I I mean James Marsden is just talk about one of the most dependable actors. Yeah, totally. You plug this guy in, he's going to give you something good. Yeah, and he and he's good in this for a.
Speaker 2: Long time, I mean even recently as that showed Jury Duty. Yes, exactly, fun watching him let loose a little bit on that, do do something different or or like the Sonic movies, right, yeah, I'm like the guy, but the man knows the assignment, you know, Anchorman two am, Jack Lamee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything what's happening here is.
Speaker 4: Somewhat effective, but it's just it's just so slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just luxuriates to Ah. Well, well you said languid. I think that's really appropriate. I mean this should be high stakes, right, yeah, exactly. Yeah. So I don't know if it's if if it's the the editing where something's getting lost or or yeah. Well, and again the visuals are so muddy that it it despite it being shot well and to your point, beautiful shot compositions, but not necessarily pleasant to look at always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that you know, it could be that he literally shot a series of concept art or storyboards or whatever. But sometimes you have to let go of the thing you have in your head for the sake of flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, this is great. I mean I like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's almost ironic too. And here Superman can't fly, but Richard can. There you go, little boy. You know, it's funny when he goes goes down the water fall and there's that shot where you see the craggy rocks and it disappears behind and of course you know you gotta wait like two to three beats and then it'll come closer to the camera.
Speaker 1: It made me think, who invented that shot? That gets used a lot. That's funny.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know you you I don't know if Hitchcock came up with that whole dolly zoom thing, but we attribute it to him.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So I was like, yeah, who came up with that? That's a that's a really uh effective beat. I mean, we see coming now. Unfortunately, well, if I may, you can you can expect to see something in that lineage when you watch the New Superman. The dolly zoom, no, no, the drop. Oh really yep? Oh funny. Okay, that's not a spoiler, but sure, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I would love it to be from like Porky's or something like Terrible Movie. So everyone is like, oh, we don't know where that came from. You know, it's you know, we don't need to give it a name.
Speaker 1: It started it was in Birth of a Nation, right exactly, yeah, exactly. That's quite a long shard. I was like, ouch, yeah, well and and he he broke it off, right, see. So now we we get this Superman recovering and and then you know, the big climactic moment is is Superman lifting the island into space, which you think at the script stage they would have been like, you know, maybe that's not that's not really the crowd pleaser.
Speaker 2: That that we that we want to go for, you know, right right right, you want to shut something down with a ticking clock or you want to like, yeah, it's something like think about.
Speaker 1: The climax of Batman begins. Yeah, oh yeah, right, it's the train going into the center of the town or Wayne Tower, and right, I mean there's a clear sense of progression of what we have to do and what's what's stopping our hero from doing it? Right, and it all works and then by this moment it must be done by this moment, yeah, you know, and and there's none of that here because the notion of this this the Kryptonian island is so abstract, and it seems like Superman has already seen that right there, the CGI double you're telling me you couldn't have just put him on wires and just I mean client, you know, yeah, I do like I like them reinforcing this is this is something very similar in Batman versus Superman, where he gets recharged by the sun. I do like that. Yeah, but that sense that the island is going to destroy Metropolis, you know, like what the movie has done is oh well he had Superman zipped through the city, he stopped the globe, and now Metropolis is safe. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Now, always take care of this island.
Speaker 2: This thing should be continuing to grow exactly. Seems like it's kind of stopped, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: This should be coming closer and closer, and a tidal wave is coming and boats are lifting out of the water, and if this ant gets any bigger, it's gonna, yeah, squash the city.
Speaker 1: So he's got to get rid.
Speaker 2: Of it before it can. Yeah, can get any bigger?
Speaker 4: Do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, it's good. It's good. It's good. Now now X has these I guess the floppy discs basically, right, these crystals, Yeah, but he doesn't what's he supposed to do with those? Yeah, he doesn't have the player, Yeah, the drive to put them in. Well, I mean, but is that what he was he was am I wrong?
Speaker 2: He was shaving shavings of that mixed with the kryptonite is what was creating these.
Speaker 1: So he's just gonna make more islands, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that I didn't realize that. Well, I guess that goes back to the multiple maps. I guess this is map one we're looking at, and so he's just gonna it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Why are we.
Speaker 2: It's not like he makes a new mass and they'll connect in some sort of what was the next step?
Speaker 1: Hold on? Let me see? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who oh, these are out of order here? Hold on, man, Yeah, you know, and it's funny. I know, Well, the tones are very different in the first one. But the Parker Posy character, like she just seems so I feel like sad every time I see her. And then even this moment here where she throws the crystals out of the helicopter. Yeah, and then she just she almost sounds like an abused partner where she's just like, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is unpleasant. So she is essentially the miss Testmacher character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I wish she had like maybe a little more spunk to her, like she's doing something heroic here, she's doing something bold, she's finally going against this guy. And it just the way that it's executed to me just feels so, I don't know, not fun.
Speaker 1: You know, it is fascinating to me. How how some of these beats just replay right, Like again, it's she's it's just like Valerie Parene in the first one, and then you know, there's there's the Lex Luthor has a love interest in the Newer in the new film, and and it's just it's weird how you have these echoes, you know, And I'm like, wow, maybe it's just like that's that's how these stories are, you know. Sure, you know, like i'd.
Speaker 2: Almost want to see her owning her moment here, Yeah I did it sort of like billions of people are gonna die, yeah, you bastard, Like no, like yeah, but it just like I said, it's almost played like too realistic.
Speaker 1: Herd tears and apologizing to him, and well but that that that gets to what I think is just a tonal misunderstanding. Yeah, because what what the seventy eight movie gets is that, you know, even as it treats the subject matter seriously, there there's a little bit of archness. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, and you know it sort of just reminding you, well, we're having fun here still, you know, yeah, yeah, you know. And where Lex Luthor's launching the two missiles is in the seventy eight movie, and Superman's like, you don't even know where the second missile's going. He's like, I know exactly where it's going, Hackensack, New Jersey. And and that's where Miss Testmaker's like, thanks, my mother lives in hacken Sack, and he just kind of looks at his watch and he's like no, you know, and it's horrible, but it's funny, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, And and that's what this movie misses is kind of finding finding the levity in this stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, But you know, hasn't that been a common problem with Superman, Like it seems like they're afraid to let it be joyful or lest it feel.
Speaker 1: Corny or have the humor or something. Yeah. Absolutely, But then we have, you know, exhibit A right here happens when you don't do that. Yeah, well, especially here right where where we've already established that the island is laced with kryptonite, and so Superman lifts into space. And I can track with that the idea that like that's just he's fighting through he's doing you know, like this is killing him, but he's going to do it. But again, I feel like it would mean more if if the stakes were a little more clearly delineated. Yeah, like even this here, it's like people are just in Metropolis kind of watching at a distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, he's preventing an active threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he isn't. I'm like if he were, Yeah, that's that's that's righting. Yeah. Yeah, and so it's it's Superman versus an island.
Speaker 2: As everyone just kind of watches, yeah, idly from the side sidelines.
Speaker 1: Although this looks pretty cool, I gotta say I agree. Yeah, you're right. I mean I like all of this.
Speaker 2: If if seeing him sweat and pushing this thing into space, it's all great. Just to your point, if they had added attention around it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something something that you can is tangible, you know and and this sense of like this will kill me, but this is what I have to do. Yeah, you know, and this is why the world needs Superman. Hey, look at that. It's almost like it's a what do you call it? Christ parallel? Yeah, that's the other thing I've I need Superman to I need I need Superman stories to stop hitting us in the in the head with that, like we get it. If we got I appreciate it, and and it's important, but you know a little less. Yeah. Yeah, I feel like that came in with seventy eight, like that really really driving home the Christ metaphor. Yeah, I don't remember, Like how is it alluded to in that movie? Well, what I'm thinking of is is you have jorel like when he sees the jorel Ai right and he says, you know, they can be a good people. They wish it. They lack only the light to show the way, and that is why I've sent them you my only son. Ah gotcha pretty on the nose, right, And I'm like, I'm fine with that. But you know, when we do like the Crucifixion pose every other version, it feels cheap somehow, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's me, or it's like that's an interesting thing. Someone clocked yes, and so they did it.
Speaker 1: Great. Yeah, but it doesn't need to become part of the checklist for everything for every version. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something effective about seeing Superman on a gurney in a hospital. Yeah, and of like makes you oh, no, like seeing someone so powerful be vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Well, what I like about this? To me? It kind of evokes a little bit like like Spider Man. Yeah, Spider Man two when he's on the train yep, right, Like everybody comes together, yes, exactly, and we're gonna help him because he helps us. Our hero needs help. Yeah. So I do like that, me too, Me too. I always like that. I do love that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to jab the needle in his arm if he bends.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I did think about the defibrillator, and I was like, I mean, why would it blow up?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's like maybe he's like kind of made a steel, but it's not like he's electrified, is he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question, right, What I mean, I don't I don't know how forblious work, I'm the one guy to ask. I don't either.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an effective smash cut, I think, right, but it feels like a Simpsons thing. I will, I will admit I didn't remember the ending of this movie. So then the hard cut to the Superman is dead headlines. But then yeah, this slow move the camera revealed that there's two headlines.
Speaker 1: Right Millhouse. I'm so sorry he can't hear you anymore. That's causing his ears. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or it's like the when Bart goes to Millhouse's place, the one you call Millhouse is gone, and he's like what He's like, yes, to his grandmother's house.
Speaker 1: We're fumilating the place, you know. See, So the movie has gone out of his way to establish that Richard is a good dude. Yeah right, And so here in lies the dilemma because obviously it's Superman and Lois. We want Superman and Low stand up together, but we don't want like Richard to get shafted in this And so where do where do things go next? Are they just like co parenting?
Speaker 2: Well, according to the kid's picture, that's right, and we can see who was in the lead.
Speaker 1: It's so like like that. Let's say we do a sequel. Does that entail Richard dying? You know? Like hmmmm, and what we want him to die so we can feel better, That's what I'm saying. None of that is good, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, well I thought it was interesting too when she says we're going to the hospital to parry there and he gives this knowing smile.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then it's like, wasn't this kid you're relative, you.
Speaker 2: Know, James Marsen, Like, so you're actively rooting against him and loves getting back with Superman, even even your own families.
Speaker 1: Against you, is it? Doesn't he also play a similar role in the Notebook, isn't he in the Notebook? Yep? Yeah no? And in uh Enchanted? Oh yeah, yeah that's right. Yeah, James Marston always the bridesmaid exactly. Yeah, yeah, I forgot about him in Jury Duty. That was so funny. That was a really just brilliant, pleasant surprise that serious. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if people haven't seen that kind of a twist on a reality show about these people on jury duty, that's right, very very entertaining, very sweet.
Speaker 1: See. I love all this all the people who are outside too. That all tracks with me. But again, I I think we needed more, We needed we needed something that that can what Superman just did to the people in terms of being directly impacted by what he did. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, because they could have been swayed by Lois's article, like you know, we did we really need We lived fine without him for five years, and then when this enormous catastrophe presents itself and there's nothing they could do to save themselves from that on land in Metropolis, you do need Superman. Yeah, oh, it's right there. That's the thing, right, But when he first shows up, well, think about it, when he first shows back up, everybody's cheering except Lois, right, and I think that's a mistake. I think people should be a lot more circumspect, and he's trying to win them back, and this is the thing he does to win them back. You're so right. Yep, you know what you mentioned his costume and the boots. Yeah, this shot made me think, like, damn, there's some clunky boots. They really they're big and bulky and they got big SSA's on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it made me think it wouldn't be an easy thing. You know, we always get the which I love, but the sort of cheat shot of him running down an alley and then ripping open his buttoned up shirt and we're like got it, and he's changing into the thing.
Speaker 1: But when you really think about it, like, man, when does he put on those boots? Yeah, that's that's a lengthy process. Yeah. See, I just I'm I feel nothing between Lois and him, I know, And and that's a failing of this movie script where it's done nothing to make us, you know, feel that they have a prior connection.
Speaker 2: It would be nice if we had seen her wrestle a little bit more internally throughout the whole movie. She's kind of at a distance or dismissive of him, but it would be nice to see her She has something she wants to say, but will she allow herself to do it? And this is the moment now right where she may lose him, where she finally says the thing she's been holding back, right exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even even if it's something like she's putting on a front towards him, like no, I like we're done, yeah, exactly right, but we're we're seeing, you know, in an unguarded moment, that she's she's still pining for him or whatever. M h. I think that. Look, the problem ultimately it comes down to the fact that the that the filmmakers created kind of an unsolvable dilemma in terms of this this love triangle. Yeah, and it's like, you guys didn't have to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could have just not you know. Yeah, but you know, sometimes I wonder about this. When you have someone like Superman, you know, you have Warner Brothers, you own Superman, every filmmaker wants to make that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for better or for worse.
Speaker 2: It seems like sometimes they're gonna pick whoever has the most unique. Take sure, and so what if Superman left for five years and he has a kid like that sounds like, oh, well, I don't know what does that look like? Yeah, I can see why that rose to the top just because it sounds different than just we're gonna make a rip Roorn Superman movie. Right, But then this maybe makes the case that that isn't always the best option just because it sounds the most unique and interesting and different from what you've done before.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and I don't doubt that singer goes in with his pitch and they bought the pitch without the script. Oh totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I read that the principal actors signed on without a script, just like I want to be in Superman though yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but directed by Brian Singer of course. Yeah at that moment of course, mm hm right. And and there was no reason to think that it wouldn't have have performed. I mean, you know, like why wouldn't it. I mean, it's if you watch the behind the scenes stuff, it's it's very sweet where if Brandon rout, like he's leaving to go film the movie and his family's all saying goodbye, and you're like, man, this guy and he's about to just ride that Express train to start him. And to be fair, i mean, the guy's continued working, right, so it's not like his career just just tapped out after this movie. But it is kind of sad because like he is sort of the George Lazenby of Superman's you know, yeah, you know, yeah, Like that's what I'm saying. I'm glad he got a chance to come back and and and put some measure of closure on it. Totally. Yeah, that's nice. Like I said, if you get the chance, go to YouTube just watch his his bits from crisisign Infinite Earths.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is the little flirty glance the nurse gives the security guard yeah, which makes you think like, oh, do they have like a little thing let's go.
Speaker 1: That's kind of nice. That's the stuff you want to be thinking about while you're watching a Superman.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, she's probably you know, she doesn't have any lines, you know, But so it's like, how do you go in and make some sort of impact with your one little moment? And yeah, I feel like, oh, I don't know if she did it or the director, but gave them a little business.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. See like this right here is a great shot. Right uh huh. Now I'm gonna say, maybe you didn't need the slow zoom in from behind. Yeah, Like I mean, you know what I mean, Like this is a very long movie.
Speaker 2: I know it would be kind of an interesting if you had an advanced editing class at a college to give them.
Speaker 1: This movie and be like, what would you do? Like snap it up a little bit? You know. I remember reading an interview with Tarantino where he's like, Superman Turns is great man, Like people don't get it. Yeah, I know. I think he wrote like a twenty page essay about it, did he really? Yeah? I haven't read that, but I don't believe him.
Speaker 2: He's funny like that, though he seems to like enjoy having contrarian takes on things just.
Speaker 1: For the sake of it. Yeah, but this gets okay, let's talk about this real quick, so please, So I don't I don't feel anything here, I know, and I'm supposed to feel everything. I know, Right, Superman looking at his son, Yeah, asleep.
Speaker 2: Well he's in he's literally invaded a house. They don't know he's in there, and he's watching his son. And this is the son he's missed out on for five years, I mean, unknowingly abandoned.
Speaker 1: And yeah, well you know what I thought of a part of the reason there are no real moments between Superman and Jays and before this, like just them together. Yeah, you know, somewhere Superman rescues Jason and they talk and they laugh together something you know, Yeah, or he recognizes something in him exactly. Yeah, right, because because it's a very arbitrary way in which Superman ends up here where he's like, okay, this is my son. Mm hmm. Yeah, I don't get it. Yeah, it's very stoic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also right, like wouldn't you like to see a little bit of regret on his face and then a little tenderness, and like, I want to see a whole range of emotions in this moment, but it's just very Again, I just feel like I'm looking at a beautiful painting and someone speaking very you.
Speaker 1: Know, I don't know. Yeah, well, I again, at the time this movie came out, this was a remarkable paradigm ship because okay, well, now Superman has a kid, and now you know you have to deal with that. It is somewhat ironic that you know, in the comic books since then, you know, they Superman does have a son, and you know that's just in the mix. Now Batman has a son now too, right, Robin, the current Robin is Batman's son, and that's fat. I don't read the comics currently, but that that itself is so fascinating because that's such a that's such a permanent status shift, right, Like you can't undo.
Speaker 2: That well, and usually that's what a television show does when they've run out of stories.
Speaker 1: Kids.
Speaker 2: So maybe yeah, well I'm not saying that that's the case for their for them, but it's like you are almost painting yourself into a corner because you see no other options, you know, at least in terms of TV series. So it's weird that this is how they would kick off this new series of Superman movies.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, no, absolutely, yeah. See, so setting up this idea of like, okay, now they's somewhat like amicable between each other. But again, let's let's postulate that we move forward with the sequel. There's there's nowhere to go with the Superman Lowest relationship unless James Marsden, you know, takes a long walk off a short peer. You like that, I know, I know you like that. I do for folks listening, not James Marsden doing the turn of phrase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, what's the kids supposed to be feeling? I mean, it's all he knows. Richard is his dad and ye. But now obviously he's going to want if he senses some sort of connection between him and Superman, he's going to want to explore that exactly.
Speaker 1: Sad or not sad.
Speaker 2: I mean, that happens in life, but it's just overly complicated, emotionally complicated.
Speaker 1: For what I want out of my Superman this right here, that's cgi Brandon Routh. Yeah, you're telling me you couldn't just film him. I know there's no point anyway.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you were saying, no, no, no, that's all just overly emotionally complicated, when that's not what I'm showing up for two hours for with my Superman film.
Speaker 1: Right, And so we go through that whole, that whole emotional rigmarole, and then we end with this restatement of the John Williams music to be like, yeah, but it's like that thing you love. Yeah, yeah, and it just feels dishonest to me, yeah, because it's not.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It's it's again this like it's cause playing as that thing that I.
Speaker 2: Love, and it's interesting or notable at least that he does look at the camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he doesn't smile. Yeah. Right. Wow, So Superman returns. Wow.
Speaker 2: I didn't imagine it's being a two and a half hour.
Speaker 1: Dog pile, but I wouldn't call it dog pile. But airing grievances, airing of grievances absolutely, Yeah. So where are you at this? This is now your third time watching it in nineteen.
Speaker 2: Years, yeah, and two of those have been in twelve hours. So I will say I'm sorry for people who listened and loved this one and we're hoping to hear just more. I'm sure people are aware that there's a mixed feelings about this, but yeah, we definitely leaned into well, there's a dedication to the just forh Reeve Danery, Yeah, both of them. I'm you know, it's it's it's a mixed bag. I did enjoy seeing it again just for the sake of curiosity. There's a couple fun moments. And I am a very visual film viewer. I just I can watch a movie with a sound off and or I could watch a movie back to back easily because I just like looking at movies so much, so it doesn't even matter that I've seen the story already. I just like studying the frame. So this is this movie's a meal when it comes to beautiful shots. So I definitely did get something out of that. But at the end of the day, this isn't a movie that I feel like watching again just when I want to pop in a Superman movie another nineteen years maybe kind of. I mean, for all the reasons we've said, you know now for the past two plus hours, like it's just the characters don't feel like they really have any emotional connections. The story's kind of lacking urgency, languid, I mean that word.
Speaker 1: Just keeps coming to mind. Yeah, but beautiful.
Speaker 2: So it's it's it's a weird sort of mixed to, you know, negative leaning.
Speaker 1: Bag for me. Yeah. Yeah, well, and let me just add to that, it's not surprising at all that Warner Brothers ultimately looked at this as a bit of a cul de sac. Yeah, you know, because because one thing that really becomes clear is like, there wasn't really anywhere appealing to go. Yeah, why would I want to return to this right?
Speaker 2: Well, these characterizations because it's not like, oh well then I want to see what happens next between Clark and Lois, Like, well, I didn't get anything from this movie that makes.
Speaker 1: Me think that cul de sac is the perfect word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movie that should probably be kicking off a trilogy feels like a cul de sac that's so apt, you know. And and so it's not surprising at all that Warner Brothers went to Christopher Nolan and we're like, hey, can you can you can you do Superman?
Speaker 1: Also? You know, and and you know, it was it was his development process that ultimately led to David Goyer and then ultimately Zack Snyder et cetera, et cetera, and that and that all went fine. Nothing out of the ordinary happened in the wake of that. But but it is a reflection of like, we swung the pendulum in this direction, and then we were swinging it all the way in the other direction, and then to some extent this current iteration, we're swinging the pendulum all the way back in, maybe not in this exact direction, but away from where it was previously, you know. And I'm like, can we just maybe just find a happy medium? And you know, I hope something takes I hope, I hope people have learned the appropriate lessons. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it feels like people are willing to take more swings or not more swings. But with Batman, he gets more opportunity. As what I'm trying to say, like they just keep making them, and it feels like Superman has these longer gestation periods, right, you know, and I wonder why that is.
Speaker 1: You know, what's remarkable is that at the time Superman came the first movie, the seventy eight movie came out, it was a big hit, and it was like, oh, we got to do Batman next, and it was like, no, no, Batman is like, it's that that the sixties tvaw, nobody's gona take it seriously, you know, And that was such a high hill to get past that it took, you know, eleven years later for the for the movie to come out right. But it's like once Batman eighty nine happened, it just permanently situated Batman in the zeitgeist. Yeah, like, I mean, it's from Batman will always be cool. Yeah, you know, I I say that as as a I if it comes down to it, I love them both, but Superman is still my guy. Uh Superman. It's weird, how despite the fact that that first movie created generated such cultural goodwill, Yeah, it it burned off and and they've they've been trying to recapture it ever since, at least in the movies, I mean TV wise, Superman has done okay, right, we've had between between uh the Quest for Peace and and now we've had one, two, three, four live action SUPERMANO wow. Right, So it's doing fine in that regard. But hopefully this new one will be where the flint finally catches a flame, you know, I hope.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to talk about it with you soon.
Speaker 1: Well. With that in mind, those of you listening, if you have any thoughts on Superman returns or thoughts on our thoughts on Superman Returns, you can you can email us at moviefilmpodcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash moviefilm podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating at Spotify if you don't mind. We also have a Patreon page Bran, Yes we do.
Speaker 2: If you head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we have ever done, and there are a lot of them, and of course, every episode we do moving forward will all be absolutely ad free. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show without random interruptions and ads butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing this show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and hit subscribe.
Speaker 1: We'd be very grateful. There you go, and if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachie's Corner. That's the Akis Corner. Also look for my write up at the San Francisco Chronicle where I look back at the nineteen seventy eight Superman movie and why it is so important even this many years later. Brian, what about you?
Speaker 2: Episodes I've written of Young Jedi Adventures can be found streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: There you go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachia. This has been our commentary track for Superman returns. We'll catch you next time. Thanks folks,