Speaker 1: Hey guys, and welcome to our nice little campfire in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is our fourth episode and our second topic, which is something strange, which.
Speaker 1: Is something strange in the woods, a strange thing in the woods.
Speaker 2: And guess what we're in the woods?
Speaker 3: We are in the woods.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's what these trees are doing here. That's right.
Speaker 3: We are out in the wilderness up in the mountains on Friday to thirteenth, around the campfire by a full moon, by a full moon on Friday the thirteenth, out of campfire, walking at scotch with Scotch and Irish death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and talking about a strange thing in the woods, which is true because it's like ten thirty. It's very dark except for the full moon which is now rising. Yeah, it's getting a little it's crazy because the full moon casts a lot of shadows this time of night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if our if our audio quality isn't good, it's because we are recording on our smartphone, because we are truly out of cell phone range, out in the middle of nowhere in the woods, around a campfire, enjoying a barley pop or beer. Some people would like to call it.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody calls it a barleypop.
Speaker 3: You know you want to head down to the hip of a hop gub a barley pop and get a part of did you grab that?
Speaker 2: He just grabbed him off?
Speaker 1: That was attraction by the fire out of thin air.
Speaker 3: With his lightning speed hands.
Speaker 2: That was weird. Anyway.
Speaker 3: So we are here in the woods and we're doing this podcast right now. And because we're doing this opening before we actually get the stories, we don't know what the heck we're gonna be talking.
Speaker 1: About, or if we're going to be able to because nobody seems to be involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if somebody would like give us their stories, come on, damn it.
Speaker 1: But we're hoping explicit rating on iTunes PG.
Speaker 4: Thirteen.
Speaker 3: Damn it. It's not a bad word.
Speaker 4: I guess I don't know what's bad.
Speaker 3: We are here in the woods and we are about to launch these strange stories. So belt up, get ready, don't get too afraid, and if you do, call your counselor.
Speaker 4: I got a better one.
Speaker 1: Okay, throw on your backpacks, grab some trail mix nice and hit the trails with us.
Speaker 3: True that that's pretty good, And here's our first story.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, Hey guys, and thank you for tuning into the fourth episode of A Strange Thing podcast.
Speaker 3: Which on sub podcasting platforms that might say episode five because we did a teaser.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this is number four, no matter what your silly.
Speaker 3: Little lap says, yeah, because really, this is episode number four, and we are starting a.
Speaker 5: New topic today, yeah, which.
Speaker 3: Is, yeah, we're starting something.
Speaker 5: We're like Michael Jackson, We're gonna be.
Speaker 3: Yeah right. Yeah, So our topic that we're starting and we're calling this a Strange Thing in the Woods, which if you've listened to our opening, you will discover that we did the kickoff for this topic while we were in the wood woods.
Speaker 5: Yep. We were on a hunt and we sat down by the fire, turned on the phone and recorded ourselves rambling about strange things in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you see a or here, a quality difference between what we did in the woods and what we do here, it's because we have better speakers, well, better microphones here and speakers, yeah both.
Speaker 5: It's just better here.
Speaker 3: It's warmer and there's not bugs.
Speaker 5: Fun grab moths out of the air, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy master, but you gotta admit that was awesome.
Speaker 5: It was super fun.
Speaker 2: We're up there.
Speaker 3: It was a full moon. It was Friday the thirteenth, and it was beautiful and the fire was.
Speaker 5: Popping and it was crazy quiet. It was nice. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It was really cool, and we had a good scotch. Yeah we did, and we didn't drink too much. Drink responsibly. We just are saying that right now so that we can have a disclaimer. You've been disclaimed. You've been disclaimed. Don't be stupid.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: So this is all about your stories, strange things that happened to you, our listeners while you're outside or out in the woods. And we got some great ones. Yeah, so let's just kick it off. Let's just go for all. Right, Okay, this one, I'm shouting out to Ron Colbert, Ron Colbert, Ron Colbert, the story is from you, and it's for us, and it's an awesome story. So Ron shared his story when he was in high school almost graduating. Back in the day, like in the early eighties, maybe the late seventies, what you used to do is you would get in a car and you would go out on the cruise. Now, I know this is like something totally alien for everybody that's probably twenty five and under, but what you would do is you would go out, because you didn't have cell phones. You had to go out and drive really slowly back and forth on a boulevard and whistle at girls or boys, depending whatever you wanted as the cars drove by you on the other side of the road, and you'd pull over and you'd talk, and you'd meet your friends and you'd get tough and you'd like try to get start a fight or something if you're that kind of person. But it was just a fun thing he did on a Friday night.
Speaker 5: So or Saturday, borrow the keys to your dad's Lincoln Continental.
Speaker 3: Or you might even have had a car maybe, yeah.
Speaker 5: Or take your Ford Pinto, get a couple of your buddies several if it's the Lincoln two.
Speaker 3: If it's the Pinto, So Ron and his buddies get this, get in. I think it's a nineteen eighty Chevy Manza ooh, which, by the way, is the same car your mom had.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was her first car.
Speaker 3: V six, A little sporty, little car, kind of fun.
Speaker 5: It looks like a Dotson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two door coup right. So Ron and two or three of his buddies are out cruising. It's late cruise starts dying down about maybe midnight, one o'clock, one am, and so they decide to go home. So they get in the car. They're driving home, and this is taking place in Salt Lake City, Utah. And they were out by the railroad tracks driving home and they saw a train coming, and so they're watching the train coming and they stop for the train because they're not gonna they don't want to die. And is the trains coming. They look up and they see a hobo standing on the side of the tracks. And as the train goes by in front of them, the hobo takes off running so he can jump on the train. Okay, because trains go slow through town, right, Yeah, So the hobo chases the train, grabs the railing.
Speaker 5: And guess what, like from a like a Western movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's gonna hop the train. He's gonna he's gonna be a train hopper. So he goes to grab the rail, he misses, falls down, and the train runs over him. Oh and they watched it happen, yeah, from the Manza parked in front of the railroad tracks. So they're like, oh my gosh, what and the train goes by. They're freaking out. They don't know what to do. They can't call like a paramedic or the police.
Speaker 5: They have to go to a landline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, have to go to a phone booth, or go to a something that's open and borrow a phone. That's not funny. So the train goes by. They get out and run up to see what has happened, expecting to see the worst. And when they get up there, the train had ran over the guy and cut off both of his legs right above his knee.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not funny. No, but can you imagine.
Speaker 5: You're out on a cruise end this strange thing happens.
Speaker 3: It's strange, and you're walking up and you're kind of going slow because you don't want to see it. And they get up there and everything is probably in like silhouette, and they see arms flailing around and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: They can't hear the guy because all you can hear is yeah, the train goin. Yeah, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: They get up there, the guy's been run over. His both of his legs right above his knee are are missing, and when the train ran over him, it rolled him underneath and basically his pant legs were wrapped.
Speaker 5: Up so tight around instant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like pinched off the blood supply, which probably saved his life. And so they went up there and the guy is obviously in shock, and Ron said, what struck him the most is when they got up to this person lying there, that he was trying to stand up or sit up. And every time, because he's in shock, and every time he tried to sit up.
Speaker 5: I fil a graphic warning coming up. Yeah, if you're squeamish, yeah, plug your ears. Yeah for a second.
Speaker 3: But when he tried to sit up, it would force the steamers to protrude out of the of the stump and then out of the pants. They could see the bone push out, and then he'd lead back down and they'd retracked back into his leg.
Speaker 5: So he's like eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all these guys were probably eighteen.
Speaker 5: I can't have no idea like the best way to go about helping him. No, they kind of held him off the tracks or something. They got him off the tracks and kind of held him down. A guy ran back, got in the Manza and took off to go get help. And eventually the cops come and I think maybe a fire truck and and an ambulance an ambulance and they picked this guy up and they take him off to the hospital. That is such a creepy, strange story.
Speaker 3: You start the night out going out thinking you're gonna go find some hot chikis on the on the boulevard.
Speaker 5: End up saving a hobo with no legs, and you end up saving a hobo with no legs.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a That is a strange story.
Speaker 4: Ro Cobrat.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised Ron didn't like just cauterize the rounds with friction and carry him back to the hospital. He is a beast.
Speaker 3: We know, Ron, he is a beast. He was a wrestler at the time, and he was the mascot for the Cheered team. Strong dude, Yeah, strong dude. But anyway, Ron, thanks for that story. It's an awesome.
Speaker 2: Story story and a great kickoff.
Speaker 5: So yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: So I don't know really what that first story was, but I'm sure it was awesome because we chose it. So now the setup for our second story that we don't know what it will be.
Speaker 1: Here's our friend or listener giving us a story about something. Here she or he is and they are gonna tell you about it, and now we're gonna tell you about them telling us about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna talk to you about it. So here's story number two. Click, she'd do like four us. Okay, So this story is really kind of cool and it's weird. It's like something you would not expect, and it is brought to us by Travis Gatsby Travis, thank you for sending it. It's an awesome story.
Speaker 5: Big DG, big DG.
Speaker 3: So Travis wrote up the story and sent it to us, and it has written so well, and we're gonna kind of paraphrase for time's sake on our podcast. But for listeners who want to read Travis's story written out the way that it was done in its purest form, go to our website, go to the episode page and then look a look at the links page and you'll find his actual story in his own hand.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 3: So, anyway the story goes that Travis sentis It was about him and his wife and another couple that went up camping and motorcycle riding in a small area outside of Atlanta, Idaho. Yes, there is an Atlanta outside of Idaho or in Atlanta. I'm Atlanta yeah. So they go up there and they're going to go to this place called Grouse Lakes, and so the only way to really get there is on a motorcycle or side by side or something like that. You got to get up and get up in the wilderness in the mountains. And so they go up there and they're riding motorcycles and they go to this lake and yeah, it does it sounds like a lot of fun. Anyway, they go up there and one of the wives has this brilliant thought. She says, hey, isn't it called Grouse Lakes as in gross lakes plural? And they're sitting around one lake, and it got them thinking, well, maybe there's another lake around here somewhere.
Speaker 5: So it's like adventure time. Adventure time.
Speaker 3: So they get out their topographical maps and sure enough, there's another lake, and they decide they're going to go out and find it. So they get on their bikes and they ride up there, and then I guess they have to get off and kind of do a little hiking. And while they're there, they look up and guess what they see in the trees?
Speaker 5: Airplane?
Speaker 3: Nope, the in the tree.
Speaker 5: Oh I get crashed.
Speaker 3: No, no, almost though, they look up and they see a tan parachute hanging from a tree branch and at the end of the cord something is tethered to it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So Travis and his friend are like, hey, girls, you guys stay here, we're gonna go check it out in case there's a dead body or something. You never know, And so.
Speaker 5: They got part of Jurassic Part two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, skulls probably wouldn't smell very good.
Speaker 5: It's like the body hanging.
Speaker 3: Ew yeah, maybe like go all the predators are like tewed off parts.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, they get up there and it wasn't a human nothing was it. So when they go around the corner and they look and there is like a thirty gallon drum attached to the cords at the end of this parachute. So they call the girls over and they all are like looking at this thing and trying to move it. But it's like it's like three hundred.
Speaker 5: Pounds, you know.
Speaker 3: And so this big barrel and its duct taped and it's all sealed up and like special wrap and stuff, and they're like, what the heck is this And they're jostling it, trying to shake it and figure it out. Well, times are burning, man, they got to keep going. So they end up taking a video of it, and it must have been like a VHS tape because this is like nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: Five, so this is like a while ago.
Speaker 3: Nice, So they take a little quick video and then they're off again to find the lake, which they did, so, oh good for them. Yeah, so the name was accurate. It is Grouse Lakes plural. So they go and they do their thing, and then they go back to the camp and the other couple their friends, has to leave a little early, so Travis and his wife stay a couple extra days and then they go home. And when they get home they discover like on their answering machine, because they did have those in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Billo, you've reached the big TG. I'm not able to come to the phone right now, but if you have any questions about a mysterious barrel in the woods, leave a message.
Speaker 3: After the beat, right exactly. But it's loaded. There are all kinds of messages, And apparently what happened was the friends got home, they told their parents, and the parents told somebody else, and they told somebody else. Pretty soon the Forest Service heard about it and it was a big deal. So they get there and the Forest Services on the messaging thing saying, hey, you need to come and ride away. We got to talk about this.
Speaker 5: Bring your video.
Speaker 2: So they go to the for.
Speaker 3: A Service office in Twin Falls, Idaho, which is I don't know, it's a good one hundred miles eighty ninety miles from from Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they go back and and they go to the Office for a Service and they describe what they saw, and before they even view the tape that they'd recorded, they're like, you know what, you need to go right.
Speaker 5: To the DEA. No.
Speaker 3: Boy, So, for those of you who don't know, DEA stands for what Austin's Test Drug.
Speaker 5: And Drug Administration Drug Enforcement Administration.
Speaker 3: Good try, you're almost he had one third of it.
Speaker 5: No, you had two thirds Administration.
Speaker 3: Drug Enforcement Administration.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they go to the DEA's office and they show this tape and I guess they're sitting around this table and the people around the table kind of look like thogs, kind of like a mobster or something more than DEA agents, and so it was a little weird. But they show the tape and the DEA agents are like, oh my gosh, this is classic narcotics dropping into wilderness so they can bypass you know, laws and cops and everything like that. They drop in the wilderness and they have mules go up and get it, and then they take it down and sell it. Yeah, they distribute it and make lots of money. So the DEA agents see this video and they're like, we've got to do something right away because somebody's gonna go up there and get it. We're gonna have all these drugs on the market. And not only that, your lives are in danger because you've found this, you videotaped it, and you guys which Travis and his wife, you know, they could be after you anyway. They say, hey, you've got to take us up there, and he goes, okay, I can do that like maybe wednesday or next week on Friday something like that. And they go, no, you got to take us up there first thing tomorrow morning. And he's like, you can only get there by motorcycles, and he goes, we'll get motorcycles. We got to get up there first thing tomorrow morning. He's like, oh, I don't know, and he goes, you if you don't your life's in danger. So go home, lock the doors, and if anything weird happens, call us immediately. So they're all nervous and a little creeped out. They go home, and the next day he gets up and he loads up his motorcycles and he meets the DEE agents and off they go to check out the barrel of.
Speaker 5: The serious barrel of Rouse Lakes.
Speaker 3: So while they're driving up there, they're talking about, you know, drugs and how they'll drop in drugs in a barrel and then people will go up and get it and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: And they're talking about.
Speaker 3: How it's really cool because if there are drugs in the barrel, him and his wife they would get five percent of the street value of the drugs as a re ward for finding the drugs. So he's like, oh yeah, this is awesome, man. And he's spending his money in his head, he said, is he's going up there. And so they get up to Atlanta and they unload the bikes and then they start driving up through the trails and stuff like that. And I guess somewhere along the way and I don't know if it's they stop somewhere, but somewhere along the way one of the DEE agents said, Hey, did you buy chance wiggle the barrel or jiggle it or anything like that, or did you guys just look at it? He goes, no, we wiggled it and we were going to try to cut the top off and we didn't. And he goes, oh, well good because if it was booby trapped, it probably would have blown up. And he's like what, Yeah, it scared him. After death, you know that they were maybe up there and this thing had been booby trapped.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they could have died. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They end up getting on the motorcycles and Travis said that these guys obviously aren't motorcycle riders, but somehow they managed to make it up to the site and they find the barrel in the parachute and they go up to it and they're kind of carefully rolling it around and stuff like that. One thing I forgot to tell you is on the top of the barrel somebody had written with the sharpie had written the following warning R two lightning pounder. First be the man who opens this but does not own it? WHOA Yeah, kind of parody are but also you know, when they're talking about booby traps, I mean, this is kind of like we'll be to the man. So anyway, when the agents get to the barrel, they are very careful as they try to open this thing. They don't want to set off a booby trap or something like that. And after a while they end up getting the top off, They get the duct tape off and the wrap off, and they lift up the lid and inside the lid is like a white batting material, heavy batting material, so the cushion whatever's under in there, and Travis say is the agent that was opening the barrel goes, okay, boys, this is what this is all about. This is why we do this job. And they're all like, what's gonna happen? So the agent pulls back the batting and guess what he sees. Nope, no cocaine, but a whole bunch of cans of beer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like they pull back a batting and they are all these beer cans there like this is it, boys, And they're not like bud light, you know itccurs l like average beer. They're like Irish stout beers and imported beers. So they start digging in it and it's beer after beer after beer and then they think, well, is it really beer or maybe these are cans of cocaine in you know that look like beer. They open a can and it's beer. And they open another can and it's a beer. And they opened a third can. The agent actually takes a sip up and he goes, yeah, it's beer.
Speaker 5: Then they turned into d UI agents d instead of DG.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just had a big party up there, and well they had to test all of the beer make sure it wasn't myth. Well, the d U I eight I mean agents, they actually after a while they realized this is just a big beer, thirty gallon drum of beer. And Travis says that while they're looking at these, and he's realizing that all that money he thought he was going to get as a reward is evaporated.
Speaker 5: From five percent of the street value to five percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a street value of like millions of dollars to like nothing five percent alcohol alcohol. Yeah, So he's pretty discouraged, you know, And the the agent that's digging in there looks at it and he goes, you know, I understand, you know, you're probably depressed, but I'm a man of my word. And so he reaches in and gets a full can of beer and hands it to him and says, okay, here's your five percent and gives him a can of beer. So he takes his can of beer, and we have a picture of that can of beer on our website if you go to the links page. This actually happened. This is a real story.
Speaker 5: It's an awesome story.
Speaker 3: They decide they'll put all the beer cans that they pulled out back into the barrel and then they're going to seal it up. But right before they do, the de agent takes out a car to a business card and puts it in the barrel and seals it back up, puts the lid back up. So what probably happened. It's probably like some you know elk hunters pre drop. They didn't want to pack up, you know, all this pounds of beer, so they dropped off this thirty gallon drumful of beer then.
Speaker 5: Have to pack it. We should start doing that. That's a good idea.
Speaker 3: You know, anybody with a help heliplane, helip plane, how about a heckalopter?
Speaker 5: I do know people their plan.
Speaker 3: So if we knew somebody with an airplane, we could just have him drop it in it'd be cool. So anyway, somewhere sometime, hopefully somebody came back up to their elk camp and they went to get their beer and they're like what because it looks like and then see a car in there, d Agent whatever his name is. Those are my dogs. They're pain So Travis just want to tell you one more time, thank you for sending that story. The great story, And it is not what you think. It truly is a strange thing in the woods with super which is.
Speaker 5: Exactly than what we were thinking.
Speaker 3: I know, we were thinking like we're gonna get aliens and ghosts and all this weird stuff, but we get a thirty gallon drum of beer in the woods.
Speaker 5: Nice. Actually, that is really nice. Yeah, if anybody wants to drop a thirty gallon drum of beer near our house, get with us and we will figure out a way to do that.
Speaker 3: And you won't even need an airplane. Yeah, just just bring your dormbelty. Yeah, well unloaded for you for free.
Speaker 2: All right. That was awesome story. What a doozy.
Speaker 3: That was crazy.
Speaker 1: The specifics that I can't get into because I don't know what they.
Speaker 2: Are right now, because we're just like doing these intros.
Speaker 3: We don't know what the heck you guys are going to tell us about, but it's going to be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I think we.
Speaker 4: Should, but let's go on to number three.
Speaker 1: I think we should cut in with a little bit of our own insight and then play the this part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally cool, cool, cool, Yeah, it'll be cool. But also we want to do a shout out again, a couple shoutouts.
Speaker 1: Right, we know people still shout too loud.
Speaker 3: It's leep, yeah, it is true, and we're up in the wilderness.
Speaker 4: We could bug people.
Speaker 2: Because there's so many people along the world.
Speaker 3: I know there's like, there is a camper what quarter mile away? Yeah, eighth of a mile away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They have their music up too loud to kind of pissed me because here we are in the mountains.
Speaker 4: I like Chris Tampleton, but it's not appropriate.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was, it was. It was kind of cool, but they shouldn't be doing it. I think we should go on to the story number three.
Speaker 4: Story number three would be great.
Speaker 3: I got done with number two already wiped, all right, So your story.
Speaker 2: Number three that was done, It was good. It would be good. Number two, all right, all right?
Speaker 5: It's kind of funny, this h Ron Colbert story, and this one kind of reminds me of a story that's not so happy but also kind of weird. There were these two young boys that went out.
Speaker 3: So this is another story inspired by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just these last couple of stories of beer.
Speaker 3: Drop in the woods and Ron, you know, being the man and discovering the guy with the severed furs. Yeah, oh cool, Okay, gotch.
Speaker 5: So these guys are out. These two young boys have a sleepover, like in junior high or something. So they decide they're going to go do some spotlighting rabbits or something and with a twenty two rifle and shoot some rabbits and spotlight them, which is not ethical.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm not making the connection yet, but I think you're getting that.
Speaker 5: Okay. They meet up with another boy I think, or some other people there, and they come up by these railroad tracks and flash forward till later there's this train conductor coming on the tracks and sees these two what look like bodies on the railroad tracks. Yeah, so he tries to hit his brakes. He can't hit his brakes fast enough because trains don't stop very well. He ends up running over these two things on the track. Turns out it was two young boys, the same two boys. Yeah, but the parents don't really know. The police seem to kind of be keeping it in the dark, and the police kind of start investigating this stuff. And the police are like, well, there shouldn't have been people on the tracks. The guy that are running the train hit cows and stuff all the time. They're like, these they look like they had already died, Yeah, because they'd been placed. Get out of the way. Yeah, and like to not even turn your head when you start feeling the train come down the tracks. It is a little you know, you have to have something.
Speaker 3: You're basically saying that two kids hon a sleepover were like murdered and said on the tracks and train. Yeah, this is not a funny story.
Speaker 5: But it's not all funny, dad.
Speaker 3: This isn't I mean, our last story was kind of like light hard.
Speaker 5: Got to bring it back to scary and Okay. Anyway, it sounds like it throughout the investigation that we find that these kids may have come across a drug drop near the railroad track because there's a clue cut in the railroad track so it's easier for people to find and maybe because it like forest. Yeah, so maybe they came across the people looking for the drop, or they came across the boys that had already found the drop, and these drug people apparently had killed them put them on the tracks.
Speaker 3: Okay, I kind of see the connection of you.
Speaker 5: Know, Ron's got Ron the hobo getting ran over and then this kind.
Speaker 3: Of I'm kind of seeing the connection now. Yeah, so you've got the railroad tracks and the kids getting run over. At least they were dead already, Yeah, I mean at least that sounds.
Speaker 5: It doesn't make it any better.
Speaker 3: And then you've got potential drug drops in this area and some kind of bad drug runners going up to get the drugs, find the.
Speaker 5: Kids kids, and then they got to take care of the kids because.
Speaker 3: They kill the kids and try to put them on the railroad tracks to make it look like an accident. Is this a real story?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 5: It's like a true crime file. And actually I heard about it. I don't know a whole lot about it. I was just listening at work of I think True Crime Garage covered it. Oh, we like a great podcast.
Speaker 3: We like True Crime Garage. Yeah, yeah, it's a podcast. We're not really supposed to, like, I guess, I mean, it's kind of a food pad to like give somebody else heads during your podcast about another podcast. But we love true crime garage, so kudos.
Speaker 5: To True crime Garage, even though that's a terrible story.
Speaker 3: So what do you think of story number three? It was almost as good as story number one. We don't know what any of these are so I know, but I'm just saying they were.
Speaker 4: All really good.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't pick.
Speaker 3: It if it wasn't as good as almost as good as number one.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: And now our grand finale, story number four, for.
Speaker 3: Sure, unless we have number five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless we keep going.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's just do number four.
Speaker 2: Okay, st count of three one two, three, four two number four. I think they counted three, one, three four.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: This next story is pretty creepy for a number of reasons to start off with. You know, anytime you go out camping or hiking by yourself, I mean, your your imagination is running wild anyway, especially when it's kind of creepy and it's scary and late at night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you get kind of like, yeah, especially just because you're by yourself. Yeah, like a little paranoid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and your mind can play tricks on you and stuff like that. So this is one of those kind of stories. And this takes place in an area of Virginia called Sharp Top Mountain, and Sharp Top Mountain is a location in Virginia where in nineteen forty three a B twenty five bomber and there you can google this.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of you know, I just did google it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of stuff about it that, you know, you can kind of get a lot of different stories and perspectives. But basically what happened and there was a flight crew on a B twenty five that for whatever reason, flew into the side of this mountain in Virginia, Sharp Top Mountain. All of them died, they were all killed, and the wreckage was up on this Sharp Top Mountain and it's kind of a really rugged area. It's hard to get to. So when they went in, they removed the bodies of the airmen that were killed, and they took the armaments that were in the plane, but basically they left everything else. They left the fuselage, engine, everything like that up on this mountain.
Speaker 5: And yeah, when I googled, that's a big plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big plane. Yeah, it's a huge plane, and this is nineteen forty three. There's not a lot of easy ways to get it down, so they just leave that up there, and since then it has kind of become this secret location where people can go to if you know the coordinates. It's not like it's mapped. It's not like there are trails there. I think recently, within the last probably ten fifteen years, they did put a plaque there and they made it kind of a memorial spot up on this mountain. But it's not something that's advertised really to find, right It's there's not like a trail that goes exclusively there because they don't want people going up there and pillaging and you know, taking stuff everything and you know, defiling that. It's the place where five airman died, so you're not really supposed to go up there in camp. It's kind of off limits own purpose. And our story is by a fellow let's call him Bob, and he wished to remain anonymous because legally he wasn't really supposed to go up there and camp out overnight, but he did, and this is his story. So Bob goes up there, he wants He's heard about this crash site. He's been wanting to see it for a long time. There are trails in the area close by because it's part of that Appalachian Trail chain, and so he wants to go see this crash site. And he, after doing a lot of investigation, he finds the location and he decides he's going to go up there. And he hikes up there by himself, and he ends up, you know, after a long day, he finally locates the crash site. Yeah, and by the time he gets there, it's getting dark, and he's like, oh, man, I don't want to climb down in the dark. And so I'm gonna I'm gonna go ahead and I'm just gonna.
Speaker 5: Sleep up here.
Speaker 3: I've got a I've got a hammock, I've got some blankets, I've got water and stuff. I'm just gonna go ahead and stay the night and I'll head down early in the morning. So there he is, he's up on top of this this sharp top mountain in Virginia, and you know, the night is cold and it's fall and so they're like leaves on the ground and sticks and crunchy, and so he hangs a hammock up between a couple of trees right in the crash area, and he says he goes to sleep and then all of a sudden, the middle of the night, something grabs his arm and tries to pull him out of his hammock. So he's like, you know, trying to wake up, trying to fold on and not fall off out of the hammock right finding his flashlight. He finally manages to find it. He's shining around and there's nothing there. There's nobody around, there's no animals around. There wasn't any noise of light, like people stepping in the leaves and the branches, leaves, none of that. So there he is basically swinging, assaulted in his hammock, trying to figure out what the heck just happened, trying to wake flashlight around, and there's nothing but the broken pieces and fuselage of this airplane around in the middle of the night. And he said, by then, you know, the pain had all come off, so it was kind of this like silvery gray, shiny stuff in the light of night, you know, the moon, and then just creepy. Yeah, So he goes ahead and he says he didn't sleep much but he ends up staying the rest of the night until light breaks and then he gets the heck.
Speaker 5: Down the mountain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a really creepy story.
Speaker 5: Super creepy. Did he have like does he say if he had like marks or anything from it?
Speaker 3: You know, he didn't say anything about Marx, But I asked him. I said, so, you know, were you up there alone? He goes, yeah, I was up there alone. Were you drinking? You know, did you have some substance that helped contribute to your delusion?
Speaker 5: Find out any random mushrooms that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And he's like, no, I was up there, I hadn't been drinking, is by myself? And he goes, this is one thing that he said. He said he does not believe in paranormal stuff. He doesn't believe in ghosts and all that crap. He is like, you know, not a believer, but this one instance has almost got him to change his mind. Crazy because something happened, something grabbed him. Right, It wasn't an animal.
Speaker 5: It just animals don't grab the bite, right. You'd have to have a long sleeve. Maybe they could tug on your sleeve or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wonder or you know, maybe he had a dream and like he was leaning over the side of the hammock and he caught himself half unbalance and that made him kind.
Speaker 5: Of joss on the wake up, like you're falling and yeah.
Speaker 3: So I wonder about that. Yeah, but you know, for him up there alone on this mountain by himself camping.
Speaker 5: I mean, you don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't understand the lure of going out by yourself camping.
Speaker 5: Right, it's kind of spooky. I like the idea of being out there and like roughing it a lot.
Speaker 3: Want somebody else, somebody that can run faster than.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, like maybe you camp in your own spot, but you wake up and see somebody. It kind of reminds me of the story of a guy I don't know where I heard it, Like maybe a friend told me by a campfire, you know, on a car ride somewhere camping or something. But he went up kind of in the same area I think, like the Pacific Northwest Whards, like kind of rainforest areas or something, and he goes up like backpacking alone. Yeah, by himself. So he's an idiot maybe maybe an idiot. So he backpacks out there quite a ways by himself, away from the trail head, no real trail feeling to where he's camping. In the story, apparently he only saw like a few people, you know, like on the on the whole trail system. No, there's no trail system, and he's like just bushwhacking.
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of like what this guy will call him, Bob.
Speaker 5: What Bob said.
Speaker 3: It's like he there were people on the trail, you know, like mile away or two miles away, but he nobody camping out like where he was. Yeah, so he was kind of alone.
Speaker 5: Like this guy is this one? He said, like during the day he used binoculars and saw some people floating down the river in kayaks. So like like even if he did see somebody, it's not like they're gonna come climb up mountain and find him.
Speaker 3: They are a ways away.
Speaker 5: But apparently he camps out on the school spot and uh goes to bed or something and attend. He comes back home after his week or weekend or whatever he does, and he gets his photos developed on his camera and on his camera like his when you know they come back like from Costco or whatever, they're like in the envelope, Yeah, like go through. There's a bunch of pictures of himself sleeping like somebody somebody and used his camera and just took pictures.
Speaker 2: I hate that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: No, that's like those stories you hear about people going to like Mexico and they leave their toothbrushes out.
Speaker 5: In the room and they.
Speaker 3: Come back and the pictures are developed and it's like their toothbrushes.
Speaker 5: Are being used molested. You described the.
Speaker 3: Toilet or in somebody's rectum.
Speaker 5: That's awful.
Speaker 3: This is not This is not a happy story time.
Speaker 5: We want more happy story time. It's a strange thing. It's weird. It is weird happy story time.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, anyway, Bob, thank you so much for sending your story.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 3: It's great. If anybody else out there has stories like this on the you know, outdoors or in the woods or whatever on the graveyard, send them in. We're gonna do these kind of podcasts occasionally in between our topic big topic discussions. We're gonna do these one offs where we talk about and share strange stories that people our listeners have had. So send them in. We love them. My story at a Strange Thing dot com and we'll keep them and if we use them we'll send you some cool swag.
Speaker 5: And I've had a trailer camera up for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wonder what maybe on that.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll have something strange on this.
Speaker 3: Maybe you'll see a bigfoot with somebody's toothbrush.
Speaker 5: Babe, yes, yuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go and use that one.
Speaker 5: Again, or maybe I would.
Speaker 3: All right, I don't know about you, Austin the story number.
Speaker 4: Three, No, we were three right.
Speaker 2: Number four?
Speaker 4: Remember we did one, two, three, four?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Story number four was really awesome.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 3: We don't know what it was, but like we said earlier, it must have been awesome because we picked it. And now we are on the final conclusion, our last.
Speaker 2: Story of the night.
Speaker 3: Yes, it seems redundant, I know, but it's okay.
Speaker 2: I know. We're in the woods.
Speaker 3: We can be strange in the woods, like this podcast, a strange thing in the woods. And now for story number what is that sinko? Story number sinko or finds by drive vier fump story number fump.
Speaker 4: Fumph is the noise the deer make when they're running.
Speaker 3: We don't want to do story number six.
Speaker 4: There are too many stories.
Speaker 3: Because number six. Guess what that would be right sex.
Speaker 2: Because you're drunk.
Speaker 3: No in German finds by dry veer fump sex. Oh yeah, so we don't want to tell you about our sex story, so we're gonna stop at number Well, yeah, we're number five, sinko. So our next story comes from will Niffen all the way from Lano, Texas. I think it's Alano. I mean it's lll A n O. So if you were like in Austin, maybe you would say yah no, but it's what I mean. But it's Lano, Texas. Yeah, you know what I mean. And this story is pretty cool as well. So this one takes place probably you know, I'm not even sure the year. I'm guessing probably mid two thousands, maybe early two thousands, and it takes place in Lano, Texas at a at an outcropping of rock that's very famous there called the Enchanted Rock, yeah, gented Rock, and if you get online you google it. There's a lot of history, a lot of legends there. It's kind of a cool. It's it's like, you know, the area looks pretty flat or like rolling hills, but in this one area there's like this big jutting up of rounded rock kind of like a dome, and it's shaped kind of like a half of a peanut, and it's just kind of poking up in the air. It's like this rock and rock crevice structures, and it's it's large and fairly tall, and it's just kind of famous.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a landmark.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of history there, legends about like a guy who the Comanche Indians stole his wife and they they were going up there and we're going to sacrifice her to the spirits upon this rock so that they could basically be free of evil spirits or something. And this guy gets his rifle and he runs up there and he ends up taking it on all of the Comanches and fights them and and his victorious and rescues his wife and saves it.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a movie about hauntings or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's got a long history of weird stuff, a lot of legends about like the spirits that are kind of, you know, not benevolent, they're actually kind of naughty spirits up in that area.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, like all young boys want to do, of course, they want to go camp out someplace weird like that. So Will and a few of his friends. There's probably six or seven of him.
Speaker 5: He says.
Speaker 3: They decide they're going to go camp up Enchanted Rock. And it was towards the end of fall, getting towards winter, and it was kind of cold outside. And so they're in this big tent, all of them, and they're playing cards, playing like.
Speaker 5: Pokers, staying warm.
Speaker 3: They're playing cards in the tent with their flashlights at night in the cold, okay. And while they're playing cards, they noticed that the zipper of the tent is slowly inching down. Yeah, these like young sixties.
Speaker 5: Like is this a commonplace? Where did they like hike through camp spot or like people?
Speaker 3: Well, I get it's a it's a kind of a national monument, I guess, or not national monument camps. Yeah, I think there's a state park there. So there are camp sites and there are trails you can hike all over this thing. So they're there and the tent zipper starts going down. And one thing I will say. He says that when they got there, they didn't see any other campers. They were kind of alone, right, So they're out there alone in their tent, playing cards in the light of flashlights and the zipper comes down, and then all of a sudden, this woman's head, white woman's head in a white dress, pokes shrew into their tent and kind of just looking at them awkwardly, you know, and they're all like, what's going on? And after a minute, one of the boys gets brave enough and he says something like can we help you? And the woman says, do you know where my camp is? And they're like, uh uh no, we don't know where your camp is, and kind of awkward silence, weirdness, and then the lady backs out, the zipper goes back up on the tent from the outside, and then silence, and they're all sitting there in awkward silence, wondering what in the heck just happened, And finally they get brave enough somebody unzips it and starts to look, you know, outside, They zip it down, look outside, and there is no one there, there's no campers around, there's nothing. And this this woman that had unzipped their tent was wearing a white dress. She had white hair and very pale, very ghostly. Yeah, and she wasn't wearing shoes. And this is towards winters, so you know, It's Texas, so it's probably not like frigid, you know, sub zero went you know weather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's cold.
Speaker 3: You would not be walking around in a white dress and bare feet, especially if you're a skinny white woman. I mean you have no meat, no insulation, no blubber. Right, So they're all weirded out by this, and I asked him, I said, so did you guys, did you guys manage to stay the rest of the night or did you get freaked out and just go home? Because I would have been out of there so fast as a teenager man. If if somebody, I'd be like, I'm gone, I'm out.
Speaker 5: Do you think she'll come back?
Speaker 2: Why would she hot?
Speaker 3: No, an old white woman in a wedding her white dress, I guess not. But apparently she didn't come back. They ended up going home. But it's been something that they have talked about for, you know, ever since that happened. It's now etched in their memory. So when when he told me this story, I got online to start doing some research on this area, and there is legend that I think kind of ties into it. So the legend goes that some Comanche warriors abducted stole a white woman from somewhere around that area, and as they were carrying her off, she managed to escape and she ran to the Enchanted Rock area, and she hid in the crevices and in the low areas of the rock, and the Indians weren't able to find her. The commanches, Yeah, they couldn't find her. But as the days went on and she was lonely, she would start crying out and screaming in the night. And the legend, yeah, and the legend is is the screams and those sounds that you hear at Enchanted Rock campsite, lost and looking for her home or camp. So here you have this strange ties in woman in a white dress coming and looking for her camp. So I'm thinking maybe that's a connection.
Speaker 5: That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's a great story. Will thank you for sending that in. We're gonna send Will and everybody who whose story we use, we're gonna send you some swag and we just thank you for that. And also, well, we've got a captive audience here. Don't forget on your favorite podcasting system to like and follow and subscribe our podcast. That really helps us out as we move along.
Speaker 5: So maybe, And I think we've all been there. You get back from your lonely trip in the woods, your long weekend nice, and you're tired, you're a little bit paranoid from all the shadows up in the woods. Yeah, So you go home and you take a shower, and you go to your pub, your little bar, and you meet your buddies for some drinks and some pretzels or something.
Speaker 3: Like where where do you go?
Speaker 5: Maybe you go to Milliner's Gate, millions, but maybe the shadows of Milliner's Gate, who are no safer than the shadows of the woods. That's right.
Speaker 3: So what are we saying here is that people should join us next time as we venture into the paranormal possibilities of a strange thing in strange places.
Speaker 5: Maybe they should join us next time for some cold drinks and strange conversations at Milner's Gate, at Owner's GT.
Speaker 3: We don't know what we just talked about, but we are sure it is awesome, and we're just glad you guys like joined us. Yep, And we're still here by the fire and like kind like kind of like being outside of time. We are jumping forward and background in time because we're getting stories but we're recording this before the stories even arrived.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're like interdimensional.
Speaker 3: Well, we are so glad you joined us. We had a fun time. We're having a fun time right now in the wilderness. We hope you aren't too creeped out. Go out enjoy the wilderness. There's nothing like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially, I don't know, I gotta get pretty mad. Props to Idaho for Idaho vast wilderness and such varying terrain.
Speaker 2: It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: It is cool.
Speaker 2: Idaho is a great state.
Speaker 3: We're looking up, we're looking at the stars, widing up the sky. It is just a beautiful night.
Speaker 1: I think I heard some elk bugling earlier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: We heard bucksnorts. Oh yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 2: That was weird.
Speaker 1: So we come across these does deer with deer deer dose, Yeah, dough a deer, a female deer.
Speaker 2: They might have been male.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think they were dose because they didn't have any antlers.
Speaker 3: They were some funds though, we don't know if they were male or female.
Speaker 2: They're pretty close.
Speaker 4: I feel like you'd be well, yeah, the fawns, I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, So anyway, if they were bucks. They were funds fawn bucks.
Speaker 1: We got pretty close to them, yeah, we did, and they would stop and look at us, and Dad and I are both just on the trail, just like they just frozen, and uh.
Speaker 2: They would go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they blow air out their nose and kind of like a horse does when it snorts. Like yeah, anyway, it was really cool.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 1: And they would flick their tails and then like snort, snort, and then they would hop three feet and then look at us.
Speaker 3: That was so cool the way they bound they hop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's reird cool.
Speaker 1: The way you could watch them communicate to each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their tails were flipping like hey, don't go down there, warnings flipping like flash flash flash flash, snort, snort and then look flash snort. It is such an honor to see such awesome stuff in the wild. Wildlife snorting, bounding up, bounding up a mountainside and heavy timber is just I mean, it was incredible. I was sitting there was like I almost wanted to pinch myself because it's real. Am we really having a staring contest as an animal? Right now?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you for joining us on this Strange Thing podcast, and thanks again for listening, take it easy.
Speaker 5: Guys chat