Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Does anybody else not know how to act when faced with a june bug? Because I have what appeared to be seizures when a june bug enters my flight space here and my husband has repeatedly told me, they do not bite. They are very slow creatures. They are completely innocuous. Yet the size of the june bug and the close proximity, it doesn't know personal space, the june bug, and yesterday it doesn't. And yeah, you totally agree. I've got them all over my house, thank you. Okay, So yesterday I get home, I open up the truck door and I'm looking at social media. Because I'm a stupid brain stem of a human. They can't even get out of my car without checking in with social media. When I'm got one foot out the door and all of a sudden, I hear this biz and it's right there, It's right next to my face, and I start thrashing in the car. I have bruises, you guys, this morning, because of from you hitting yourself, from me hitting myself, hitting the car door, h taking my backpack and throwing it at the June Bug, and then I just started erupting into laughter, like you're so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Well, at least you understand that it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It was so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: June Bug.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they come to the stadium a lot.
Speaker 3: I guess I've not even There was a worm on my pool deck last night, knocking the pavers out in the backyard and your face.
Speaker 2: No, no they don't.
Speaker 3: But if you're not paying attention and you feel it wriggling like it was doing that. I'm so dry, that wriggle thing that they do really fast. Did you water it?
Speaker 1: No? The dog just oh my god, that's awful.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean this is protein circle of life. That's what happened.
Speaker 3: Uh, thank you everybody for that great day yesterday we had out of BJ's rest trying to brew house in Surritos, a news and brus on a Thursday, which.
Speaker 2: Can be a hard draw, we understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we had great, a great group of people that were out there. So thanks for every everybody that came out. We'll announce when that's coming up. I think on Monday is when we'll tell you when the next one is.
Speaker 1: You know what I loved about it is all the new people we met because we're never in Crito's area really, I mean it's close, it's Orange County adjacent, but there were a lot of people who live and work in that area that that was their first time out there, and it was really cool to see new faces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so thank you for that. We got a lot going on. Obviously, we're going to have updates on the fires. Amy felt yet another earthquake today, but you're the only one I know who felt it. This was an aftershock to yesterday morning's earthquake.
Speaker 1: Just a three point four Yeah, just a little Dean Shark felt it too.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, you said, Dean did.
Speaker 1: Can we I heard in Amy's news at the top of the hour that there's a guy stealing women's underwear in Orange County. Can we get into that in the next hour or something, because I's the first time we've heard a guy doing this, and I wonder if it's some sort of disorder.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do some research. Well, what you mean, like a fetishy kind of weird thing.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by disorder?
Speaker 3: Well, what you need to shame the guy just because he has a certain predilections.
Speaker 1: You're right and I'm not. I'm just I'm fascinated from a psychological perspective.
Speaker 3: Before we get to the Boeing thing. I wanted to play this talkback because I thought it was funny.
Speaker 4: Hey, Gary and Shannon loved the show. But just a quickie on this Taylor Swift thing. Taylor Swift endorseeing Harris should not be any big deal. If you look at her songs, ninety percent of the time she's singing about how she chose the wrong person.
Speaker 2: So that's your help.
Speaker 1: That's funny glabor. That is funny, so good good for him.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was an original on his part, but it was great.
Speaker 3: So this story struck a weird note in me this morning when I saw this strike. The Boeing's biggest labor union went on strike. So all of the production of the seven thirty sevens, the Triple sevens, the seven sixty sevens, they are all on hold while this strike takes place. And the reason it strikes a funny tone with me, there's two reasons. One of them is that the union came to an agreement with the company, the union management that is and then the union management goes to the union the seventy what is the thirty three thousand members of the International Association Machinist and Aerospace Workers, and they get punched in the throat by their union members. Ninety four percent of the union members turned down this deal from the company.
Speaker 1: You don't see that a lot.
Speaker 2: You don't see nice.
Speaker 1: To see him fighting back, isn't it against the crooked leadership that is union leadership of the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the one thing. The other thing is having lived in Seattle for six years. Boeing at Microsoft was obviously and Amazon were growing at the time, but Boeing was the company the entire You could not all powerful, not spit and not hit somebody who was working at Boeing, or was married to somebody working at Boeing, or had four generations of people working at Boeing.
Speaker 1: Show up at Boeing for a news story, and it was like showing up at the FBI, you know, and God forbid you say anything against Boeing and income the cease and desist letters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the coverage of Boeing strikes Boeing contract negotiations. But I mean that was one of the things that you would do on a weekly basis, you probably do two or three Boeing related stories, and most of them had to do with labor relations, right, So that's what's going on. This strike is going to deal a blow to Boeing that's already had an awful twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: They say, it's not going to disrupt commercial flights immediately, but will be shutting down production of Boeing's best selling airliners, which is another setback for this company dealing with a bad reputation and financial losses.
Speaker 3: And to give you an idea of what they're fighting for Boeing, I haven't figured out the the you know, minute details of what this plan is, but one employee said that the proposed starting wage under this contract for aerospace machinists and workers is twenty one dollars an hour. Twenty one dollars an hour, and if you work in the state of California at a Burger joint, you make twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean in some cases you make twenty three.
Speaker 2: And that's the that's an issue.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're working putting together airplanes and you're saying, wait a minute, why does that guy you know on the fry machine. Get twenty bucks and I'm just getting twenty one? Is one job more important than the other. That's that's part of what they're issue. I think you're talking about a big eater beetle fig eater, which is a big green one.
Speaker 2: Yep. The june bug is a small brown bug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well neither here nor therea Okay, the fruit beetle, what have you.
Speaker 2: They're they're terrorists, big ass bug is what you call it?
Speaker 1: High Shannon.
Speaker 5: Regarding those beetles that I didn't know they are june beetles. But there's various types of june beetles. But are you referring to the big like green? They're almost pretty, but they're horrid. Yeah, because it's almost like they want to bump into you. I tell my kids that they're blind, but I just looked it up and they're not. They're just highly uncoordinated little mother truckers.
Speaker 2: I get you, I do. That's correct.
Speaker 3: A couple stories that were following a slight containment on the bridge fire. We're at three percent. That's we're making progress. We're going in the right direction. Bridge fires three percent contained, what is up close to fifty two thousand acres now in La and San Borardino Counties.
Speaker 1: Justin Timberlake has just pleaded guilty to a traffic offense, resolving the criminal case coming from that arrest in New York on a drunk driving charge. He was in court this morning to enter the plea. We don't know the details, but a person who is speaking says he's agreed to admit guilt to this traffic offense and he's going to shoot a PSA for Mothers against Drunk Driving.
Speaker 3: About one hundred and twenty five thousand people still without power in Louisiana after Hurricane fran Scene. Most of the people in Mississippi, Alabama have their power back on. And we're now seven days into this search for a guy who was shooting at cars along I seventy five in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Now, this area is extremely wooded. It's very hard. They're only searching during the day because of the terrain. That is just it's crazy back there. I mean, your money's got to be on the fact that he killed himself because he said that's what he was going to do. He texted a friend and says, I'm going to kill as many people as possible, then kill.
Speaker 3: Myself, so he's just out there getting eaten by bears exactly basically. Well, Kentucky's Governor Andy Basheer said that cops are going to be posted at every high school football game and stationed along school bus routes to at least give people the sense of security even if the guy is being eaten by bars.
Speaker 1: Similar, well, cancel class, but we're not canceling high school football games on a Friday night.
Speaker 2: Do you do not do that?
Speaker 3: Russian Federation Security Service the FSB has says that a decision has been made in response to several unfriendly steps taken by the UK a reference to signals from Britain that it might allow Ukraine to use what they referred to as the storm Shadow long range missiles against targets deep inside Russia.
Speaker 2: This issue of Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Being allowed by allies and in this case NATO countries to use those longer range missiles is going to be an.
Speaker 1: Issue, yeah, because Putin said, if you do this, that means NATO is at war with Russia, and nobody necessarily wants that except maybe Vladimir Putin, although he'd get his pants handed to him.
Speaker 3: The British Foreign Office says that there were six diplomats that were expelled by Russia, six British diplomats. The British Warn Office said that the six of them had actually left Russia last month after the notification to London about the decision in the early part of August, and that came after Britain said in May that it was going to expel a Russian defense at Tache as an undeclared military intelligence officer, and it was imposing other restrictions on the Russian embassy that exists in London. So we obviously we the United States, have something to do with this. I think if we knew exactly what's going on, we're all so distracted by Taylor Swift and Donald Trump in OURPV that we don't know exactly what our government is doing.
Speaker 1: The Taylor Swift thing has unleashed more talk from superstars and athletes about endorsements about politics. Patrick Mahomes coming out saying he's not going to endorse anyone, the female basketball player Caitlin Clark saying she's not going to endorse anyone now.
Speaker 3: And what I think she said specifically also, which I praise her for, was go register to vote. You don't listen to what I have to say. Do your own homework, do your own thing, and go register to vote. Have some skin in this game?
Speaker 1: Are they being asked reporters?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, especially Patrick Mahomes because because of his wild connection. And that's the thing I get frustrated about when it comes to politics and people's marriages or other family relationships of any kind, is you assume something based on that individual's politics what the other person in their family might feel. I mean, Britney Mahomes liking posts by Donald Trump is very different than her going to a fundraiser raising money for a Trump campaign.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's very different. But people are not.
Speaker 3: Willing to look at the nuance of that. And who cares what Patrick Mahomes thinks. I don't care. I don't care what Britney Mahomes thinks. I don't care what Taylor Swift things.
Speaker 1: If he wants to weigh in on no look passes.
Speaker 3: I'm listening right exactly the analytics on fourth and four.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you was there ever a time when you go on fourth and four? That's what I want to hear his opinion about.
Speaker 1: Speaking of football, Wow, another scary moment last night Thursday Night Football, and it involved the two most fragile people in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I could not believe that those two people were the ones involved in this collision.
Speaker 1: I saw a meme saying Pixar couldn't have written this ending. Not that it's an ending, but a lot of people are talking about an ending for Tua because of his past injury issues. We've got two people in the other room, by the way, that love Tua, so we got to be careful with this. They've been very somber this morning, but I saw them embrace a.
Speaker 3: Rem reminder that our first Gas Fantasy for Play of the season is going to be later on this afternoon, Yes afternoon today, we will get into the Gas Fantasy for Play, an opportunity for you to pick up your Gary and Channon Show swag by listen and you don't have to know a damn thing about football.
Speaker 1: Pick the colors, pick the city, Pick the mascot, what.
Speaker 2: Have fun mascots?
Speaker 1: Who doesn't like a Titan or a jaguar.
Speaker 3: The fires, of course that we've been watching, the Bridge fire, fifty two thousand acres line fire at thirty almost thirty eight thousand and the airport fire just over twenty three thousand, and then a big, huge fire at an apartment building in Chinatown this morning. Fire departments set have broke out just before four o'clock and a structure there on North Bunkle No, North Bunker Hill Avenue.
Speaker 2: I got a little caught up there.
Speaker 1: It wiped it out. I mean that thing is completely gone, destroyed. Coming up in the next hour, we will be talking earthquakes. Yes, we've had fourteen earthquakes measuring a magnitude four point zero or stronger this year. However, seismologists say are still in an earthquake drought. This is like when we have all that rain and the spring for days and days and days, and then the experts are like, no, we're still in a drought. There's a snowpack. Don't water your lawn. Yeah, don't take a shower. I don't believe it. I know what I see, and I feel the quakes. I feel them once a week.
Speaker 2: Leave the conditioner in your hair this time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Amy, did you hear about what happened to Deborah That she was naked in the shower when the earthquake?
Speaker 2: So yes, I take that you did.
Speaker 1: Isn't that funny. It was so funny, like one of my do you think about that though? All the time, all the time. I take it in the shower all the time. I think about it when I'm in the bathtub. Why because it's like if it's if it hits and I grab a towel, and then where's my closest clothes. They're in the bedroom. And so sometimes I'll even bring clothes in the bathroom with me just in case I need to clothe myself lightning speed for the and then run outside. Because that's what you're not supposed to do well.
Speaker 3: And I'm not gonna I'm not gonna fault you for thinking about it, because I think preparation is important. My wife lived in la and the north Ridge earthquake in ninety four, and she for the longest time, I mean within the last couple of years, she would have shoes of some kind by the bed. Yeah period, I mean, and our house, our bedrooms have never had I guess the first house we owned, the closet was i mean right next to the bed, but she would still take shoes out of the closet and put them next to the bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's why I sleep with clothes on. I ain't got to be ready.
Speaker 2: Just feel like my neighbors would give me a pass.
Speaker 1: And I haven't been in a major earthquake since I was nine.
Speaker 2: That's true. That is true.
Speaker 3: Last night Thursday Night football, the Buffalo Bills were in Miami to hand it to the to the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Uh To.
Speaker 3: Tagavioloa is a quarterback for the for the Miami Dolphins who when he was at Alabama had concussion problems. When he got into the league, into the NFL, he had concussion problems, and a couple of years ago he had a concussion and I remember distinctly the odd we talked about it at the time. There's a thing that happens in a brain injury, many times in a brain injury, where your arms do something. In some cases, if you get knocked out, they go straight out in front.
Speaker 1: Of you, as I saw with Donald Parum the tight end for the Chargers, right, And it's.
Speaker 3: A weird lizard brain response to protect your head even though you just had an injury.
Speaker 2: It's almost as.
Speaker 3: If if you're going to fall, if you fall forward, you'll hit your hands instead of your face. Again, there's also something called a fencing response, which is one arm goes out and the other arm kind of stays crooked. And that's what Tua did last night. After he ran for a first down, he didn't slide. He went headfirst into Damar Hamlin.
Speaker 1: He almost died. His heart stopped. Last year the year before was it the year before?
Speaker 2: That long ago?
Speaker 1: Right, because last year they sent him in late in the season for like a fake punt or something, and that was it.
Speaker 2: But here was the call last night on Thursday Night football.
Speaker 6: Al Michaels sit down by twenty one points, fourth and four, pressure to a steps up.
Speaker 2: He's going to run for the first time.
Speaker 6: And takes a shot at the six yard line. Hamelin hit him and to it down the first split, the scene, the page, the price.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could hear even al Michaels was like, wait a minute, that was Tamar Hamlin. Now it wasn't. It wasn't Tamar Hamlin's fault by any means. It wasn't like it was an awful hit. It was an odd, awkward fall on Tua's part that he kind of bent into and you know.
Speaker 2: It was it was.
Speaker 1: It was the absolute thing you do not do, especially when you have to his history.
Speaker 3: They said me imediately on the sideline that they knew that there was a problem. And I think it was Kaylee Hartung, the sideline reporter, who said within six minutes of the hit they had declared him out for the rest of the game. They said it was a concussion. Usually it takes a you know, a battery of tests.
Speaker 1: There's the question. Usually, yeah, they'll go and they'll have the team doctors and the injury tent with the guys doing the different exercises. Some of them if they make you nauseous, you know, you have a concussion. You know, look here, look there, look up, look down, look at my finger. Follow it the exercises they're doing. Yeah, exactly, that's one of the things. And then the NFL will come in and the independent mediators to do their own investigation. But there was no doubt about this one. You hit the nail on the head there.
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 1: He missed four games in twenty nineteen because of an ankle and dislocated hip. He missed a game in twenty twenty for a thumb injury. Twenty twenty one, he missed four games for broken ribs and a finger, and then in twenty twenty two five games he was out for concussions.
Speaker 3: He's first of all, he's he's a great quarterback, and it's great person. He's fun to watch. He's got a great family that's always been around him. It's one of the he's one of those really great guys that plays this game that is so brutal. This could Matt turn this down, This could very well end.
Speaker 2: Here be the end.
Speaker 1: I Tony Gonzalez this morning said it's time to retire a lot of former NFL players are coming out and saying your health, your life, your family's life and health, and and it's all worth more than this game. Yeah, I mean, I don't know. It's a tough one.
Speaker 3: This week on the Gary ands Channon Show, I learned that Gary is a never nude in the shower.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's not what it was.
Speaker 3: But that's funny or a ry reminder by the way that we're going to do what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show. Coming up later in the show, you can always leave us a message and tell us what you learn.
Speaker 2: No, it's not that I'm a never nude in the shower.
Speaker 3: It's that I don't I'm not concerned about it taking a shower, like I'm not concerned that the earthquake's gonna hit.
Speaker 1: Well, you answer your front door and your box or shorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's different than me walking out.
Speaker 1: We we as women, are not glory.
Speaker 2: That God gave me. You know, in the event of an earthquake.
Speaker 1: We have more to cover up. You could walk out, You could walk outside in your neighborhood in your underwear and it wouldn't be a problem. We could not do that as women.
Speaker 2: But you could walk around in your bikini.
Speaker 1: I uh. I probably wouldn't do that as well for the neighbors.
Speaker 2: I know that, but I mean it wouldn't be people wouldn't. I know. There's a weird double standard. I get it. I'm just saying I'm not.
Speaker 1: Bikini ready either, you know what I mean. Let's think about that.
Speaker 2: You always got to be ready. You always have to be prepared.
Speaker 3: You got to have that emergency backpack, and you gotta be I.
Speaker 1: Do have that.
Speaker 3: The earthquake forces you out on the street in your underwear, in your underwear.
Speaker 2: Here's another one.
Speaker 1: Hey, Garyan Channon, are you Gary?
Speaker 3: I'm so happy you're Oh, you have no idea anyway, Shannon, you were a trooper.
Speaker 1: But my question is, and shoot me if you've already answered it and I didn't hear it.
Speaker 2: Are you going to do your picks this Friday?
Speaker 1: Come on, girl, you're usually Are.
Speaker 2: You going to do your pick?
Speaker 4: All right? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Enjoy fighting in the thirteen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get my p Yeah, my picks are in. I would do that. I gotta leave the show a little early today because I'm going with the Chargers to Charlotte for their game on Sunday. I was thinking I could do the fantasy for play live on the phone, but I think I'll be in the plane and then that would be weird to to talk about games and things.
Speaker 2: Except we're not picking a Chargers game this week.
Speaker 1: We're not. We're not.
Speaker 2: But that was still will Odd.
Speaker 1: Who's that weird?
Speaker 3: Girl?
Speaker 1: Like picking? You know, Tampa Bay. Although I'm not taking.
Speaker 3: Takes, it would be funny if you had to stand up and do it in front of the whole plane and then people are hackling you as you're picking the wrong team, because you.
Speaker 1: Know, when you on the air, even on your phone, and you go into like the mode of your you're working, you're on the air. So it's not like this quiet, subdued.
Speaker 2: Not very demure. No, it's time for terror in the skies like zero nire.
Speaker 5: You're alert for the day off, Roger, get off my plane, Roger Rogers, what's our vector?
Speaker 2: Victor enough, I have had it with these multy pipe snakes on this money. It's Gary and Shannon's terror in the skies on KFI.
Speaker 1: So we don't know if this was your wife, well unclear.
Speaker 3: The pilots of an Alaska Airline's flight had to abort a takeoff at Nashville Airport yesterday to avoid hitting a Southwest flight that had been cleared to cross the end of the runway. I believe that that Southwest flight was landing or had landed, I should say at Nashville, so she was taking off, so that have been that would not have been heard. But the crew of the plane had to slam on the brakes, blow the tires. They actually are designed to do that to help dissipate the heat from the hard breaking, which is a safety feature. But they said that this seven point thirty seven that was bound for Seattle. This the last Airline's flight, had one hundred and seventy six passengers did have clearance to take off.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know. I got to ask a friend of mine. Yeah, this has to be a pilot. Do you see the plane?
Speaker 3: Like I mean, you're you're barreling down that runway and you're reaching two hundred two fifty before those wheels go up?
Speaker 2: Do you do you see that plane? And then you're like, oh crap?
Speaker 1: Or sometimes yes, maybe sometimes no. I don't know. I don't like communication problems. I certainly don't like them on the runway. The FAA has been working to deploy new technology and boost training for air traffic controllers to reduce the number of near misses at airport where it's because there's been a string of incidents that happened last year that have alarmed everybody. I don't like that. That that line. The FAA has been working to deploy new technology. Just get it done, don't work on it, just get it done. You'd like to see results, yes, you what are we doing here? Then there was another story.
Speaker 3: A guy from Northern California been arrested on a federal complaint he assaulted Frontier Airlines attendance after takeoff. This thirty year old guy from Fremont had apparently spent the weekend at Disneyland.
Speaker 1: I hear helicopters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that we live in a major metropolitan area and that happens ones. This guy shouted obscenities at the flight attendants after they took off from John Wayne Airport on September ninth. This was so this happened so quickly that they they touched down in Ontario. They went to the on Ontario Airport to put this thing down instead of flying all the way to San Francisco, which would have been what forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: That's odd, That is odd? All right? Coming up next, we will talk fires, we'll talk earthquakes, we'll talk stolen underwear and Orange County.
Speaker 2: That's quite an hour. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap