Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible teaching.
Speaker 2: Ministry of Rick Warren.
Speaker 1: And today we're continuing with this powerful series called the Jesus Model. In this series, Rick will walk you step by step through the process of true biblical discipleship.
Speaker 2: Rick's giving you practical tools.
Speaker 1: To grow spiritually, experience God's peace, live with greater purpose, and become more like Jesus in every area of your life. Let's get right into part one of a message called Succeeding in your Mission.
Speaker 3: God did not create you just to live for yourself. He wants you to care about the hurting people in your life. He wants you to make a difference with your life. He puts you on this planet to make a contribution. You were planned for God's pleasure. You were formed for God's family. You were created to be like Christ. You were shaped to serve God, and you were made for a mission. So like to Blues, brothers, we're.
Speaker 2: On a mission for God.
Speaker 3: Now. Jesus before the Cross was talking to the Father in prayer, and he says this, in the same way that you gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world. One of the greatest tragedies in life is for you to go through your whole life and never fulfill your life mission. And you stand before God one day and he says, well, did you fulfill the mission? I put you on earth for it? And go, oh, Lord, I didn't even know you had a mission for me. And he's gonna go, uh oh, wrong answer. You don't want to be embarrassed. At that moment, Jesus said, as God gave me a mission in the world, I give you a mission in the world. And after the Resurrection he gets more specific and he says this here on the screen Acts one to eight. You will be my witnesses, not my attorneys, my witnesses in Jerusale. That's your own hometown in Judea. That's like Orange County in Samaria. That's the cross culture in our own area, and to the ends of the earth. So it's personal, it's local, and it's global. Now Here at Saddleback Church, we take this very seriously, and that's why about five years ago or six years ago, we launched a thing called the Peace Plan to basically do what God has called us to do in our personal lives, in our local situation in the national and actually globally because God has said go to all nations. And now in the last four or five years, we've had over eight thousand of members of Saddleback Church who've gone overseas, paid their own way to go to some country overseas and go on mission for Jesus Christ. In fact, if you have gone overseas on a global peace mission, I want you to just stand up so we can applaud you and express our gratitude for you. Presentatives of our church, thank you. Now, not only do we send out people globally, but we do it locally, and even thousands of more have done it here locally in southern California. What does it mean to be on mission with God? And how do I succeed in the mission that God has given me? Well, Fortunately, Jesus gave us a model, and in Luke chapter ten he gives us an example where he sends out his peace teams.
Speaker 2: And in Luke's.
Speaker 3: Chapter ten, he sent out thirty one teams of two people each into different cities. It was local peace, its all in walking distance there in the nation of Israel. And before he sent them out, he gave them nine instructions. Those instructions still work today. They're things that you need to do that I need to do in my personal life, whether I'm trying to reach my family for the Lord, or reach my best friends for the Lord, or relatives co workers for the Lord, whether I'm doing something in local peace here in Orange County or LA or in southern California, or whether I'm going on a global peace trip this weekend. I want us to look at jesus instructions to his team, These nine principles for succeeding at your life mission. They are the basis for our peace teams. When we send out teams, this is what we want them to do, whether it's local or global. And as I said, these principles will work anywhere. They'll work in your office, they'll work at school, they'll work in your personal life. How do you succeed in your mission? Let's get right into it. Number one. The first principle that Jesus gave to his peace teams as he was sending them out in Luke chapter ten is the principle of cooperation. And the principal of cooperation is this, get a partner. Get a partner. God never intends for you to do your life mission by yourself. In fact, you can't fulfill it by yourself because it's all about relationships, learning to love God and learning to love your neighbors yourself. God says, I want you to do this in tandem with other people. And in Luke ten, verse one, it says the Lord appointed seventy two others, that's beside the twelve disciples, and send them out two by two ahead of him to every town and place he was about to go. He said, just well, grab a friend, get a coworker. God never meant for you to fulfill your life mission by yourself.
Speaker 2: Why. Two reasons.
Speaker 3: One, you're much more effective when you go with another person. You're much more effected when you team up. The Bible says this two are better than one because they get more done by working together. You can encourage each other, you can pray for each other when one's tired and discourage the other one lifts the other person up. There's so many benefits to working together. And that's why when we send these teams out. We never send out individuals. Never, we only send them out in groups. Why it's biblical. Jesus said, we're to cooperate with each other. Not only that you'd be more confident, You're more assured, You're more bold when somebody is there with you. And so you have somebody else to back you up and support you, to share ideas with and be creative and to tell your story to. Now. I don't know if you've ever thought about having a partner for your life mission, but you need one. And it could be your spouse, it could be a friend, it could be somebody in your small group. But you need to have a partner. Here's a little secret. It can be anybody. Sometimes God sovereignly puts the most unusual partners together. I'll never forget. When I was twenty years old, I went and attended a major Christian event in Soul, Korea, and there were one million Christians at this event. It was a huge, huge event, and I remember they asked for volunteers. Would anybody like to go share their faith in the city of Soul.
Speaker 2: I thought, why not?
Speaker 3: I don't know a single Korean word, why not? And so I volunteered. And they said, well, now it's biblical to pair you up with people, and so they gave me a partner. Now, I was a six foot two, long hair I mean, really long hair, skinny American. And my partner was a four foot two Filipino Catholic nun in full black garb. It's like, you know, the hippie and the saint kind of a thing, you know. And so she doesn't speak a word of English. I don't speak any Tagallo, and neither of us speak Korean. This is going to be an interesting witnessing assignment. So they gave us this little book called the Four Spiritual Laws. You've heard of this booklet, and it was in dual language. On one side it was in Korean, and on one side it was in English, so you could read the English side and show where the Korean was. So we're going out. We're downtown Soul, Korea, this huge city, and this nun and I walk into this business and into this department store, and I'm looking around for somebody to just talk to. And I found a young girl in her twenties who happened to be quite good looking. So I always noticed them when I was single. And I got and she was in the jewid department. I walked over to it. Now I don't know any Korean at all, and I hold up this little track and it says, do you know the four spiritual laws? And it's got it in Korean. So I run my finger along the line of the Korean, hoping that that's what that said. And I look at and I go. She goes, Okay, so she doesn't know the force virtual laws. So I open it up and I say, look, I'll read this side.
Speaker 2: You read this side. So I read this and.
Speaker 3: Read that, and I get the bottle page. I wait a little bit and I look up and I go, she goes. So I turned the page. Okay, I do the second page, law number two, God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. Okay, I finish that page. I nod, She nods. So I flipped the page again. This little track. Now I haven't said a word to her, because I don't know any Korean. My wonderful accompliced none is praying for me at this moment, standing right there looking up. Okay. I get to the next page, and there's these two little pictures on which one represents a life without Christ and what one represents a life with Jesus. And there's a line in the English that's which one represents your life. So I look over here on this page. I thought, that's got to be the same line. So I run my finger along it, and she points to of the non Christian and so then I say, on the next line, of which one would you like to represent your life? And I run my finger along the Korean and she points to the one that has Jesus. This is working, okay, this is really working. Okay. So I turned the page and it says you can pray this prayer. So I point over to the koreanside that point, and I go like this, So I bow my head and I read the prayer and I read this. She reads that prayer and I look up in a minute and I finished the prayer and I look up and tears are coming down her eyes, and I.
Speaker 2: Go, yep, she got it.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now I led that girl to Christ. She's going to be in heaven and I never said a word to her. And who is my partner on that mission?
Speaker 2: A Filipino nun.
Speaker 3: Anybody can be your partner and you if you are willing to be used by God, God will use you to change people's life. You just have to be willing. Now that's the first principle cooperation. Get a partner. You might write down a name of somebody who might You might think, could this person be a partner with me in my mission in life? And you could write a name down. Now, number two, the second principle is a principle of expectation, and that is when you go on your mission for God, you depend on God. You don't depend on your talent, You don't depend on your own creativity, you don't depend on money, you don't depend on connections. You depend on God. Now, it's interesting that the very first thing Jesus says to his peace teams that he's sending out, he says in verse four, don't take a purse. What does he mean by that? He actually says it three times in three different passages of scripture, where he says, don't take along any gold or silver or copper in Matthew ten, and take no money in your pockets in Mark six. What's he talking about? Well, first, let me tell you what he's not saying. He's not saying leave your credit card at home. That's not what he's saying when you go on a peace trip or a peace mission or a peace piece project. But Jesus is giving a warning about money.
Speaker 2: For two reasons.
Speaker 3: First, depending on money makes me less dependent upon God. Depending on money keeps me from depending on God. The Bible tells us that the poor the poor are rich in faith. And the fact is, as I've traveled around the world, I found that the poor have a lot more faith than the rich people do. Why because as a rich person, you don't depend on God very much. When you need something, you don't pray about it, you just go out and buy it. You don't have to depend on God because you can put it on your credit card. But when you're poor and you have nothing, you have to depend on God. And that's why the poor are rich in faith. They have more faith than the rich do. And God says here, he says, I want you to depend on me. I want you to trust me to provide on your journey. I'm not saying don't take any money. He's just saying, don't think that this is going to bail you out of all your issues. But there's a deeper issue here, and that is this money often harms ministry. I need to explain this to you because as we send out people all over southern California to serve those who are suffering, and as we send people all around the world to serve those who are suffering. When you see somebody who's hurting, you see somebody whos suffering, you see the poor, you naturally you want to give to them. You want to be generous, and that's a good thing. But the truth is, and every parent knows this, if you've got a kid, there's a right way and a wrong way to give money, you know what I'm talking about. You can give money to someone in a way that will ruin them, or you can give away somebody money in a way that will empower them. You can give money in a way that will make them dependent upon you with strings attached, or you can give it in a way that actually.
Speaker 2: Treats them with dignity.
Speaker 3: And this is very important for you to understand because Americans violate this principle all around the world, meaning to do well, thinking that they're helping people when they give, but that's not it. You cannot give people out of poverty. In the last fifty years, Americans have put billions and billions and trillions of dollars into Africa, trillions of dollars in foreign aid and Africa. The standard living in Africa is actually worse than it was fifty years ago. It's worse because you cannot subsidize people out of poverty, can't even do it in America. There's only one way out of poverty, jobs, job creation. You've got to help people create wealth, not wealth redistribution, but wealth creation. And that's where some of you entrepreneurs and business leaders need to come into play, in using your gifts on mission for God and learning how to create job creation. When you give money to somebody in the wrong way, in the wrong time, it can create jealousy in a village, it can split a church. It can create dependency, It can rob dignity of people, it makes them dependent, it makes something all the great Americans have come to be our savior. And all of these things can actually harm. And that's why the Bible, the very first thing Jesus says when he starts to send out his peace to you, says, don't take money. Don't throw money at the problem. He said, you need to understand this that you're going to It can be as simple as giving street kids candy. I have seen this all around the world, that well meaning people take candy and then they give it to orphans. Or give it to street kids and then get back on the bus thinking they've done a good thing because that kid smiling, And as soon as they get on the bus, that kid is beat up by the bullies and the candies.
Speaker 2: Taken away from them.
Speaker 3: When you give candy to a kid in a country, you can guarantee it's going to be stolen from him immediately and the kid you're guaranteeing, the kid's going to get a black eye, get beaten up. And what you think you're actually doing is good, you're actually harming the child. There's a way that giving hurts. Or when a peace team or any team would go into a village or something and at the end they want to they see a poor pastor and they want to take up an offering to help that pastor. And maybe they've taken up an offering US two hundred and fifty three hundred dollars and they're really excited to give that. They don't realize that in that economy that's equal to a year's wage, like in Rwanda, where an income is sixty eight cents a day, given somebody three hundred bucks, it'd be like giving you eighty grand. It throws everything out of whack and everything out of proportion. And that's why the Bible tells us, you know, it says, don't take a purse, don't take a long gold or silver, a copper, don't take any money in your pockets. Why we tell our peace teams when you go overseas, don't take a bunch of American stuff, and don't go giving out money to people, and don't come back and do a bunch of fundraisers, because that's the old way of doing missions and it doesn't work. He says, depend on God, and he says, don't take a purse.
Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, thank you so much for listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. I've got something really special to share with you today, especially if you love Christmas and God's word. We've got a brand new set of fifty two beautifully designed scripture cards, each featuring a Bible verse centered on the Christmas story and the promise of hope found in the Birth of Jesus, the true meaning of the season. And these cards aren't just pretty, although trust me they're stunning. These are powerful tools to help you memorize God's word and keep it close so that you've.
Speaker 2: Got it right. When you need it.
Speaker 1: And while these cards are perfect for your personal study, they're also wonderfully versatile and they can help keep Jesus at the center of your holiday. You could use them as meaningful gift tags on your Christmas presents, place one at each setting on your holiday table, or share them individually with friends as a thoughtful gesture. So whether you're starting a new tradition or looking for a unique way to share the Gospel with friends and family, well, these cards are a perfect fit. And trust me, you're going to love them.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: When you give a gift to help Daily Hope take the certain hope of Jesus to people worldwide, be sure to request this very special collection of Christmas scripture cards. That's our way of saying thanks. Go to Pastorick dot com to get your copy of this great resource. That's pastorick dot com. Or you could just text the word hope to seven oh three to oh nine. That's the word hope to seven oh three to oh nine. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's.
Speaker 2: Word for our daily hope.
Speaker 1: This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support