Speaker 1: You're listening to the Plant Based Diet Podcast, where we talk about all things plant based. I'm mister Garfin, the host of this show and founder of Alternative Food Network. Join me in my amazing array of guests who are a mix of healthcare professionals, industry executives, and people with an interesting story to tell about their plant based journey. Let us help you with your journey wherever you're at to learn the what, why, and how to eat plant based The first half of today's episode is about the why of plant based eating from a health perspective. Chronic diseases like cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, obesity, and certain cancers are on the rise globally, so I want to bring you the evidence that's out there with regards to plant based eating. The second half of the episode will help you with the how how best to incorporate plant based foods into your diet. To help me do this, I'm joined by Shitel Perik, who holds two Bachelor of Science degree and a Master of Dietetics and Nutrition. Stal is a corporate dietitian has written multiple plant based peer reviewed articles and blogs in nationally recognized professional magazines. She counsels patients on consuming plant based food for health and environmental wellbeing, and creates innovative plant based recipes that blend Eastern and Western cultures. In fact, if you subscribe to Alternative Food Networks free monthly newsletter at alternativefoodnetwork dot com, in the next issue, there's going to be a recipe from my guest for a chickpea massala curry with rice. As always, I appreciate you sharing this episode with others who could benefit from this information. And if you haven't already followed this series on Apple or Spotify or wherever you listen, please do so. This show is the answer to all of your questions about plant based eating as well. If you're curious about the topic of culinary medicine, which is a newer, evidence based field of medicine that blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine to prevent a treat disease, I encourage you to subscribe to Culinary Medicine Recipe, which is hosted by a medical doctor who also loves to cook. Like this plant based diet series, Culinary Medicine Recipe is an Alternative Food Network production and is available on all major podcast platforms, on YouTube, and on alternativefoodnetwork dot com. Welcome to the show, sheit Tell. It's so nice to have you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you very much. It's my absolute pleasure to be here today.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking forward to our conversation. It's an important one. One of obviously the main reasons we do this show is because I believe in the health benefits of eating a plant based diet or a plant forward diet, and so today I just want to get right into it and ask you about the evidence. What is the evidence that shows that plant based eating is good for our health?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, plant based diets have gained increasing attention for their potential role in preventive medicine, particularly in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as type two diabetes, cardiovascular disease, opacity, and metabolic syndrome. So esther to answer your question, there are many compelling research finding linkings to plant based diets to improved health outcomes. So it is such a coincidence that a very prominent research came out, and one of those is the position paper on Vegetarian and Vegan Diets by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in association with the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group, and this paper discussed how appropriately planned plant based diet can be nutritionally adequate and offer long term health benefits. Interestingly, this article contains twenty seven systematic reviews examined the relationship between the plant based dietary patents with reduced incidents of cardiovascular disease, cancer, blood pressure, blood lipids and see reactive protein concentration as well as lowering the body mass INDs. The other recent study by author Sultan A and his colleagues also studied gathered evidence from thirty two lon deitudinal studies to evaluate the impact of plant based diet on disease prevention and health outcomes. It identified consistent patterns including improved metabolic health, weight management, cardiovascular risk reduction, positive effects on gut microbiome composition and inflammation, prevention and management of type two diabetes. And this is really important to note that it also topped about how the plant based diet helped reduce the hemoglobin even sea levels up to thirty four percent population when they actually consume the plant based diet. And as these are not only the two studies, there are numerous other studies like this that do endorse the positive impact of plant based diet on human health, and very quickly, like in a sentence, I'm going to name a few, like a study from doctor Campbell twenty seventeen and chen at All twenty eighteen showed a whole plant based foods intervention resulted in a significant weight loss which helped lowering the blood pressure and the cholesterol level. And over the quarter of participants, I'm going to repeat this. This is so important and I want the audience to hear this. Over a quarter of participants, we're able to decrease or discontinue at least one chronic metadation. Can you imagine how wonderful is that.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. So what I'm hearing from you is studies showing that it's helpful for both disease management and prevention.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, And if you look at any chronic diseases, access way to heart health, to diabetes, to cancer, everybody at the end of the day, everybody is getting the same answer. Is how plant based diet is so impactful on the human health.
Speaker 1: And what is it about the plant based foods? What are the nutrients that really contribute to these findings.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely. I will discuss key nutrients of plant based foods that help the chronic diseases. And I would like to discuss this with chronic diseases and nutrients, which because I personally feel that they go hand in hand. First, what is a chronic disease? According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, the chronic diseases are defined broadly as conditions that last one year or more and require ongoing medical attention. They also limit activities of the daily living. Talking about the common chronic diseases, number one that I call the king of all the chronic diseases is increase weight because that is the one thing that leads to most of the things I would say, if not all so. First, because from the plant sources are generally high in fiber and low in fat, they have low energy density, so that means fewer calories per gram. Secondly, low fat plant based diets increase after meal energy expenditure. Simply an increased calorie burn after meals. Consuming whole grains is associated with low risk of increase body mask in dusk. And you know the central obesity that we usually see within men and women in today's world. So if we include the whole grains with each meals such as whole wheat or sprouted bread, whole wheat, pasta, oatmeal, corn, polenta, millet, quinoa, brown rice, barley, bulgar, buck wheat, and whole wheat, corn and totias, they all actually work wonders. So the easiest way what audience people can do is whenever they go to the grocery store and they want to buy any kind of carbohydrates or the grains, always look for the words the whole grains, and that can really help limiting consuming the refined carbohydrates. The next thing I will touch here is lagoons. They include all types of beans, peas, lentils, soebin to food, tempe ademamae. And what does these two They also promote the weight loss if we eat them daily. And the best thing about it is it makes you feel full, It gives you satiety, It just gives you a lot of satisfaction, so you don't keep on reaching out for the food again and again. And you know the important part here is these are also the great source of protein. And people usually think that eating meat is only going to replace their needs of protein, which is not true. Again, the fresh fruits also includes lots and lots of nutrients. So according to the National Cancer Institute, only up to ten percent of cancer cases are linked to genetics, but the remaining ninety percent or more a stem from environmental and the lifestyle factors. You know that can be potentially preventable. So when we eat fiber and where can we find this fiber? Fiber is found in lots of fruits and vegetables and even whole grains and beans. And what they do They fight cancer from the digestive track, so fiber then moves food quickly through the interstinal track, helping to eliminate carcinogens as waste. The most dietary fiber a person consumes the lower risk of colorectal prostates, stomach and breast cancer.
Speaker 1: Is there a study that you can point someone to if they're listening and they would like to read it or find out more.
Speaker 2: There are many studies in regards to cancer. If anybody has not heard of Dan Butner or the Blue Zones, that is the place in the world with the healthiest, longest living population, and doctor Butner has very beautifully explained what is one of the reasons where people the longer and healthier, like in the regions like okay, now the Japan, Chardinia, Italy, Nicoya, Costa Rica, Acaria, Greece, and Loma Linda, California. And he does put into how consuming plan based food helped combat diseases like not just cancer, but all the other ones. If you want, I can definitely share with you a lot of studies that are on land based site and cancer prevention where you know our audience can go in and look into it.
Speaker 1: Maybe what I could do when we publish the episode is in the show notes, add some links to articles, some of them that you've mentioned here and perhaps some other ones that you think about after the episode, so people have as a reference some evidence based scientific articles.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, okay, I can share it. I can share it with you for any and all the chronic diseases that I am mentioning to you right now that would be greatly want a touchpase about diabetes and heart diseases because those are also very too prominent chronic diseases. And I will say I will start with here that diabetes has estimated more than seventy percent of new cases that people actually experience at this time can be prevented. And this is very mind boggling data that just by having a great lifestyle in meaning of healthy lifestyle and food choices then can really help combat diabetes. So the research says just two servings of red meat per week have been associated with the increased risk of type two diabetes, while replacing one serving of meat per day with legomes that is you know, lentils and beans or nuts is associated with thirty percent reduce risk of type two diabetes. I mean that is significant. Based diets have been consistently found in protective against developing type two diabetes, and those who consume just two cups of whole grains daily had twenty six person lower risk of developing diabetes. And you know this is very important. I want audience to know. The fruit is given a bad name when it comes to diabetes because they think that fruit is having a high amount of sugar and there's a misconception that you shouldn't be consuming in diabetes. Let me tell you right now that fruit is not the same as the sugar found in the refined foods. The sugar in the fruit comes packed with fiber, phytochemicals, antioxidants, and more. So the appropriate portions, timing and the combination the fruit is eaten during the day definitely helps control the blood glucose levels. So don't make the fruit a villain within your diet. If you have a high blood glucos that will actually help you in a better way.
Speaker 1: Okay, I actually had a question regarding something you were talking about earlier about meat and the portions. Yeah, what is considered a portion size? When people hear about portion sizes, I'm not sure that people really know what that means.
Speaker 2: Yes, So a great question as their portion. When you say a portion, I would say the portion of the meat is anywhere from three ounce to five ounce. Now, if you go to a restaurant, they would also give you eight ounce of a meat, but a real portion is actually three ounce. And I always tell my patience your meat should not exceed the palm of your hand. That's the best way to you know, measure the portion. And if you want to now compare that portion with plan based protein, I would say a cup that is an eight ounce, So if you compare it's a three ounce me versus eight ounces of your protein that is beans or maybe tofu, And that's the comparison and you know with the heart it is the same thing. There are doctors like Dean Ornish, doctor Es Sulton and others have showed that low fat plant based diet combined with regular exercise and you know overall lifestyle change have made a significant difference within the heart diseases. And there's only reason do you know, did you know that plant based diet benefits hot held because they contain no dietary cholesterol. So I want to pinpoint here there are two types of cholesterol. Where our body gets one it synthesizes from within, and second we get it from the food. Now, of course you can control certain things that is happening in the body which is getting synthesized, but what can you control the cholesterol from the food. And if you eat the whole plant based food, there would be no cholesterol. And there has been studies that has found that people eating more plant based foods, whole grains, they actually help eliminating cholesterol from the human body. So a very very impactful research and evidence. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember we were interviewing a doctor this was a while back, and he was saying, if it's got two eyes, a nose in a mouth, it's got cholesterol.
Speaker 2: Oh, that is such a beautiful way to say. I think I might steal these lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of an easy way to remember if someone's wondering, well, what does have cholesterol?
Speaker 2: That's what has it, absolutely absolutely, And you know this is all like a circle because of the food. You gain weight, you have high blood pressure that leads to your diabetes, that lead to your heart diseases, and you know the complications, and of course one of them is a cancer. So I would say it's a vicious cycle that go round with eating foods, and we don't realize what we keep in this like when we put anything in our mouth that really impacts directly from our head to toe, and unfortunately we just take it as granted because we do everything that the three inches of our body loves, which is stung, and we don't and we don't realize all the other benefits that actually our body gets. So and of course it's a behavior change, right, nothing comes overnight. It comes with the awareness. It comes with every person. There is a point where you want to make a change. So I would say it's never too late, I think the best way to say that, And so you can start from whatever part of the country you are in or what age you are at the moment and where you want to be. It's just you have to be kind to yourself and start, that's all.
Speaker 1: And if someone wants to start, what, do you have any good, easy first steps that they should take.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, so I would say this, start slowly, but surely, don't be harsh on yourself. Now, there are two kinds of people. One group of people that would start thinking slowly and get to it, and there are one group of people that will go cold turkey, meaning they will say, Okay, from tomorrow morning, I'm not going to have any meat in my diet and I'm going to be all plant based. Well, it doesn't work for everybody. So I would say overall, start slowly and surely, because when you do that, you know you will won't fall off the wagon. You will stick to it. Start with the small changes. Transition to a plant based diet does not have to be overwhelming esther. I want to make sure that people understand and that just by making a small, manageable changes to your current eating habits that will make a huge impact. And that is how say, for example, I'm sure many of you may have heard meatless mondays. You know why mondays? I, you know that was my patients. One asked me, she know why Monday? Why can't I not just do Thursday? I said, I have a reason for it, because you know, we are so relaxed, we indulge. You know. It's like you know, after thirty first of December, everybody wants to not drink for a month. It's like detox in your body. And I said, that's the same way, like you know, you have enjoyed your weekend and now you want to really do something better for your health. So it's and it does make sense. Meatless mondays, So designate one day of the week doesn't have to meet Monday. This simple approach allows you to experiment with plan based meals without feeling deprived. Gradually increasing the number of meat less days can become more comfortable if you keep on cookine plant based foods. I would say start with the breakfast example, whatever you may be eating, maybe an egg sandwich or whatever breakfast you might be doing. Start your first meal, that is, your breakfast with oatmeal, top with fresh fruits or nuts or avocado toast and whole grain bread or fresh fruit smoothie with some maybe cashews and nuts. Swap dairy products with the plant based alternative. Try different plant based milks like almond soy oat milk in your coffee and you will be really amazed. My favorite, I will say is the oat milk because it has the least after impact on your coffee or your drink because it really doesn't have any flavor.
Speaker 1: But you know what I use. Also, I mean when I'm in a rush, and once in a while i have cereal, I have a nut or an oat milk instead of milk in my cereal apps.
Speaker 2: That is not a very nice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and do you and esther, let me ask you. Do you find there is much of a taste a different That's fine.
Speaker 1: Both my husband and I have have cereal like that when we have cereal. Yeah, it's it's totally fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah that that. Thank you for sharing that because you know that that is awesome and you you will be amazed when you start swapping. Actually, you will be so proud of yourself because you will be finding new you and new ideas that will help you with your health journey. Like, for example, if you're eating meat, save for example, how about instead of like a chicken stew or any any meat s too. You just add a couple of like different beans in there. And you know, if you if you are not aware how to cook the beans, it is completely okay to go and buy the canned beans. I am a huge advocate for that. Of course you opt for low salt canned beans, but it is it is definitely very easy where you just have to open and eat it.
Speaker 1: And it's cheaper, it's cheesy, it's cheap, and there's I mean, if people are wondering about recipes, there's recipe. There's plant based recipes everywhere. Even we have on our YouTube channel we have plant based recipes as well. But I mean, really that can't be someone's excuse that they don't know what to make because there are recipes.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, absolutely absolutely, and you know this way you can swap any and all foods for protein. You can do tofu. Tofu is an excellent I know there is some misconceptions out there thinking that the tofu it's not good for you, or it does impact the female or the men hormones. You know, eating one to two cups each day is there are lots of research even over there that does not impact you, so you can switch a lot of like your food within nuts and seeds and brown rice and you know, different grains. But to specifically, like you said, one thing I would like to mention here esther planning is very important. Create a weekly meal plan. Why because when we create a plan, it becomes easier to grab something from the plan that you had rather than you know, oh my gosh, I don't have any groceries now what. So you just grab whatever is close to you or you are comfortable with. So it is very important that you plan p l an It's my most favorite word. When you plan, you can go wrong. So and then seek inspiration and support. There is so much community outside that has this information that might be around you which you are not aware of. Make sure you find out and you know, like you said, as there you know, there are hundreds of cookbooks and blogs and community that you can really collaborate and get to where you have to.
Speaker 1: Absolutely And you know, I just wanted to add one one point because I've done so many of these interviews on the TOFU point that you were mentioning. I believe the recommendation certainly from some of the physicians that have been on the shows. We have two series, so either the show or other show. Organic tofu is the way to go because soy is a heavily sprayed crop and so the recommendation it's great to have tofu like you said, but that it should be organic.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you know, honestly, like I'm sure you have Costco in Canada and many of you might be or anywhere in US. I mean, you know, that's my favorite store I get to. I mean, actually the DOFO you get is all organic. So thank you for bringing that up.
Speaker 1: I will endorse it. I have a box from Costco of organic tofu. I think it's extra firm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's like five of them in there in the box. Oh. So that's one way what you were saying about planning is that if you do buy a bit of bulk, it lasts a long time. It's always there if I'm looking for something in a cook Oh yeah, I have a block of tofu in my fridge.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So planning just you know, I would say the best day to plan would be Sunday afternoon where you can plan and you can just roughly plan that what I'm going to eat next week? Like and of course how many times I'm going to eat plan based and if you have few things ready like chopped vegetables, or even you have cooked some grains in the batches, you have some beans lentils ready, the only thing you will have to do is actually, you know, put everything together and your meal is ready within thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Before we I wanted to ask you if there's one takeaway that someone who's listened to this episode should have from you. What is it?
Speaker 2: Health is wealth and plan based diet is the way to go. And why do I say this is just recently I was on Install and there was a celebrity on the hospital bed and she had her reel and that's what she said, that nothing mattered to me right now but my health and all that I have in my outer world in terms of you know, her bank balance or cars or houses or even anything didn't matter because her health was not good. So I would say planning is the key, Like how you feel important of planning your life, for your kid's future, for your vacations, why would you not plan something for your own meal which would give you a better health. Because health is wealth and plan based diet is the way to go.
Speaker 1: Well said now, if someone wants to connect with you, Yeah, how should they do that?
Speaker 2: I can share my email. I can just say it right here. It's my first name, sheital, it's my middle initial ki as a kite per week my last name at gmail dot com. Chic okay per week at gmail dot com. It'll be my pleasure to connect with you too.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you so much. This was chock full of information. I hope people have found it useful and beneficial. And as I said, I am going to follow up with you. She'd tell to get some links so we can put them in the show notes for everyone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it will be my absolute pressure. And thank you again Esther for having me and share my passion and the way of life I live. Thank you so much, thank you.
Speaker 1: I hope you found this episode helpful. Please share, rate, leave a review, and follow Plant Based Diet on your favorite podcast listening platform and on the Alternative Food Network YouTube channel, where you can also find recipe videos. If you're on social media, please follow us on Instagram at Alternative Food Network. We also publish a monthly newsletter that includes plant based recipes, our latest podcasts, and the occasional giveaway. You can sign up by going on our website at alternativefoodnetwork dot com and click the newsletter sign up button. Until next time, thanks for listening. All content provided or opinions expressed in this podcast or for informational purposes only, and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please seek advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare practitioner.