Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are getting off.
Speaker 1: Our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or tail off.
Speaker 1: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner.
Speaker 1: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: It is really starting to hit me that there are not many many shows left here of this program Coffee and Company field by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety, and it bums me out. I'm super excited, but you know, next Friday, who knows what's in store. But if I'm looking for a silver lining here, I think I may have found one. I won't be reminded that nearly every day we remind people to tune in at two fifty nine fifty five, as if like, oh wow, good thing you told me five seconds before. I wouldn't have you know anyways, Also the chipmunk voice like, I don't know, I've been told that there's a certain like when it's national programming, because it is national programming here until.
Speaker 3: Austin puts us live right at three o'clock.
Speaker 4: Right, there's some kind of like thing that it's in that makes like, I guess, I don't know what it is. If it's automation, yeah, if it's a filter effect whatever, But like I sound like I'm thirteen years old, as if puberty hasn't actually come through for me yet. And it's never a good thing to hear as you start your show. But you know again that probably won't. I mean I would assume starting next not next week, but the week after, they will no longer be telling people to tune in because you know I won't be here.
Speaker 3: But anyways, let's get it started.
Speaker 4: Welcome in, Happy hump Day, a beautiful day here in Louisville, and we'll have some fun as always.
Speaker 3: We'll take you up till six o'clock. My name's Knick Coffee.
Speaker 4: Austin Montgomery's alongside, and I've been running running around all day, happy to be here, as mentioned, ready to get the party started. But I now have to completely just accept defeat. I have tried for the last few years, Austin, to just assume that it would get better on its own. I didn't need to do anything, but I need to be on medication for allergies. Allergies are kicking on my ass in the last like two weeks.
Speaker 2: How so, just like the sniffles, the little cough every here and there.
Speaker 4: So coughing, no, but my nose feels at times like it's being tickled internally, and my eyeballs itch. They're often watery. If I rub them, then I end up not being able to stop rubbing them, and then it looks as if like I've got you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, but it feels good when you rub them.
Speaker 3: But not me. I never get the satisfaction.
Speaker 4: Really, you know it, well maybe for a brief moment, and then I realized I just got to start, you know, like I want to I want to rip. The way my allergies have really impacted me in the last few weeks is that I want to be able to rip my eyeballs out and then scratch inside there and then put the eyeball back in. I can't, I obviously can't do that, but I feel like it would be awesome. And I've lived here my whole life, like I've I've literally lived in the exact same area my entire life, and as I've gotten older each year, it's gotten a little bit worse, and I don't know enough about really what causes it. But there are some times where I can be out and it's not it's not that big of a deal now though, like certain days like today, I was outside for a good chunk of the day.
Speaker 3: I went to the zoo, which was a nice little uh field trip for my daughter's school. But it it, it kicked my ass.
Speaker 4: I mean, I got back in my car and it wasn't even like it hit me while I was outside, but once I got in my car and drove away, like I had to not pull off to the side of the road, but I pulled into a gas station just because I needed to like gather myself because I was my eyeballs were were bothering me that bad.
Speaker 2: You're bowing down to the Uh.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes I am.
Speaker 4: I am bending the knee excepting to feed here because I cannot.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't beat them.
Speaker 2: I'm losing you.
Speaker 4: And I've I've always for the most part, been you know, pretty healthy or I've got you know, as I get older, I try to make sure I at least monitor my health more than I did when I was younger. But allergies, I mean, I've always heard people talk about it. It's not one of those things that I just assumed weren't real. Like there are some people that still live in this world today thinking like mental health is not real and it's just like an excuse people make, which is a really sad existence. But but people think that, you know, allergies. I never was like, oh, you guys are full of it, but I never quite understood what it was like to actually deal with bad allergies. And I've always been told that where we live in this area, the Ohio Valley, that you know, I guess, dependent upon what really bothers you when it comes to allergies, we could we could be in a place that would be the worst place for you. I'm not sure if I'm there yet. Maybe I'm just maybe maybe people are listening like, oh, you have no clue what it's like. You don't go through what I go through. You you right, All I know is that what I'm dealing with now. I got to find a daily pill or something that can keep me from having to deal with this because it's been I mean you may see me in here rubbing my nose, rubbing my eyes, and here this is one that really makes me kind of thinking I need to really get it. Like the roof of my mouth itches, and I never thought that had anything to do with it, but apparently that that's all allergy driven. So what I think is weird, though, is why now, right, why now that I get older, is it bothering me. It's not like sometimes you move to an area or you end up traveling to an area and it really you know, you're out of your surroundings, so you realize, then, hey, if I lived here, I would have to be on medication because I can't deal with the pollen or whatever it is that you know gives you these kind of issues with allergies. But I now, today was the day where I was like, all right, man, you had a good run thirty six years as a as a citizen, as a resident in this area. You were able to put up a good fight. And it never I mean, I can't remember anytime growing up, or anytime maybe even in like the first thirty something years of my life, where I ever felt like I even really knew what allergies were. I mean, I'm not allergic to anything, and I've never been outside and felt like, oh wow, I need to take an allegra or something because I'm sneezing a lot or I'm rubbing in my eyes. But there's been at least like three or four days since we got to I guess, probably like mid April, that I like I can't be outside, and even if I am and I go indoors, I'm still paying the price for being outside for like five or ten minutes. So I'm sure none of you care about that, but you may hear me today have to just turn the mic off and Austin don't have to tap dance for us for maybe a few seconds because I'm gonna have to just like blow my nose. Wish there's nothing there, but I'm blowing my nose to try to like, you know, find default relief.
Speaker 2: Trying to tell your system I'm trying to fix it.
Speaker 4: Not only that, but like relief in itch like I can't, you know, I can't. I can't dig in my nose. But even if I could, like where I need relief and be able to get to anyway, Like it's there's the you know, the sinuses that's the the that that is the area for me that like I just I need, I need some relief. But anyways, I'm open to all suggestions on the text line. If you guys have a daily allergy pill that you take that has helped you, please let me know because I'm willing to try not anything, but i'll try something.
Speaker 3: In fact, my wife, you know.
Speaker 4: She's she's always she's dealt with it her whole life and not she does have sympathy for me, and she tries to help me, but like now I feel bad because she has it really bad, like she has to. She's always had to take allergy pills, allergy medic medication since she was a child, and it's if she doesn't then clearly it's going to be a bad day for her. And I've always been sympathetic, but like I've never actually known what that was like. And I feel like now I'm kind of getting there. But she's also told me, well, you want to make sure not take this because it's it's drowsy. I don't want to be drowsy during the day. And then I've taken one at night thinking it would be good to just go ahead and get it in my system. And then next day I'll wake up and not be drowsy. But if I take the one I took a couple of weeks ago, I woke up the next day feeling like I was hungover, Like I was still like just you know, groggy.
Speaker 2: So I've never had like even when I've taken some sort of bena drill or something in the afternoon and stuff that is supposed to make you groggy or sleepy or a lot of the stuff that people don't like to take in the afternoon just because they'll make you sleepy. Never makes me sleepy. We must have a high like tolerance, I don't know from other things that's destroyed my body.
Speaker 4: So when you came from Arizona to this area, did you have any kind of like a was it whatever? Like it didn't you didn't even really. I mean, I'm sure you notice the difference in weather, but like you didn't have any allergies because we I mean, I've always been told that where we live, if you have allergies, it's not a good place to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just because there's a lot of green, there's a lot of wind and stuff like that. From what I understand, that's how allergies work. I'm not I'm not expert in that. But no, back in Arizona, there wasn't, No, wasn't a whole lot of allergy. No, because it's still for me now, ye know, Like the air is different there, yeah, and much thinner.
Speaker 4: And I've again what made me just fight this as if like there's no way, there's no way, because I've lived my whole life and it's never impacted me. So if I'm having these issues, it can't be allergies. It's got to be something else. Maybe it's a sinus infection, maybe it's just you know, I got something up my nose. But now again I'm throwing in the towel.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 4: I'm waving the white flag as they say, defeat. I'm defeated, and I got to start taking something. But there's nothing worse than taking medication that makes you feel like, you know, a zombie or something. And I've always been I've always I used to have. I used to I was going through trying to find a medication for me years ago that that was needed, but I couldn't find for a while the right balance and what I was taking to try to figure out what would work it made me feel like I was on autopilot, and I hated that.
Speaker 3: So since then, I've just kind of resisted trying different medicine.
Speaker 4: Because I didn't want to feel that way. But maybe it's worth it, because I mean, my eyes feel like they weigh seventy five right now. They can't be normal, right like, you know, even like the back of my head like like like like but you know right behind my ears, that area, like it feels like there's something built up back there. I don't know, I'm interesting, I'm interesting. Yeah, maybe I needed to go get checked down. Maybe I got something much deeper going on than allegis.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: But you know, as soon as as soon as I sat down, and you know, I've been trying to fight through it, blowing my nose a bunch and I actually put some eye drops in. Uh. But as soon as we started the show, I'm thinking, okay, you're not. I want to get it out of the way because I may have to just you know. And and today was a day where I was outside a lot more throughout the day than I typically am. I'm usually not outside. You went to THEO today, right, Yeah, good little zoo field trip and we had a great time. I mean, I wish I could blame it on the animals, but I don't think they had anything to do with it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this was a day at the.
Speaker 4: Zoo where I think every school in the state of Kentucky took a class or multiple classes to the zoo. It was it was packed, but it was a good time. We we got to see a lot of the animals, get to play on the playground.
Speaker 2: Do you have any favorite animals you like to see at the zoo?
Speaker 4: So, yeah, but it's not exciting like it's I was telling my daughter Maya and some of her classmates about my favorite animal. They were talking about going to see the giraffe and going to see the lion. There was a snow leopard.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there was.
Speaker 4: Actually I feel like there was more big snakes than I typically see at the zoo. So you know, they've got all these exotic animals and here I am telling them I like the turtles, which I do. I like the I think turtles are fascinating animals. Yes, their shells are really interesting to me. I mean they're beautiful, so live forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The tortoise, I mean I thought it was a Big Rock when I first got to where they were set up, and no, sure enough it was you know, a tortoise was probably six hundred years old.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 4: I mean that's an exaggeration, but they, as Austin mentioned, they do live a long time.
Speaker 2: So they also have the koalas. I think they just got the Koala bears, like the baby koala cubs last year. Last year. Recently they got some koala cubs that I haven't yet to go see, but they I mean they're a doward.
Speaker 3: You're a zoo guy.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to the zoo in a while, but I do love when I get the chance to go. It's it's a great time. I love learning about the animals and their habitats and stuff like that. I know that there's not there's a lot of people like that look on it from the humane side that don't like zoos, But I like to look at zoos for what they do positive for all these species.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will say this, I've I've never gone to the zoo as a kid or really even as an adult, and thought about what you hear from some people when it comes to like what zoos are, and I'd prefer to keep it that way, because you know, it can make you think like, Okay, you know, is this animal is it is it on medication to keep it from being like, you know, reminded that it's not in its natural habitat and it's basically behind glass for people to just look at. I mean, it's there is an element to it that's that's kind of sad. But I also like to think that maybe some of the animals that are at the zoo, like they're there because they needed to be rescued or something, yeah, to reserve them. So, yeah, the zoo was was was a good time, always good and there were a lot of kids there. I'm not sure I've ever been anywhere ever where there were that many kids, all manygains. The zoo is a huge area, so it's.
Speaker 3: Not like they were all in one in one spot together.
Speaker 2: The busy spot too, I feel like, could you go, yeah, that's like the only one that you can feed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the giraffe, and they're so chill, dude.
Speaker 2: The drafts are like like the potheads of animals. I mean they i mean their heads constantly in the sky. They only eat green, and they're just so relaxed and chill like they don't. They're not really scared of humans.
Speaker 4: Their pure existence is entertaining because their necks are you know, twenty feet long.
Speaker 2: Wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's always been my daughter's favorite, is the giraffe.
Speaker 2: That's pretty neat.
Speaker 3: Drafts are drafts are are? You know?
Speaker 4: They're a vibe and the I will say, I don't think I've ever gone to the zoo at any point and the lions not been just laid out, taken a power now.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, like they're never active.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not very active. In fact, the sloth today was more active than the lions, which I think is which is telling you something.
Speaker 2: Always been a fan of the cappy bara too. Yeah, it's like the giant hamster looking thing like those exist in the wild. That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, I I don't know why, but today on the field trip we were there was more I guess, stopping at each spot rather than just doing the When we would take the kids, we would just you know, we didn't do a whole lot of stopping to really spend you know, much time looking at one specific area unless it was an area that one of the kids really liked, like the Girafts, which is usually towards the end of the zoo. But you know, you read about you know, and again it was an educational trip. It wasn't just to go see animals. We had her teachers and whatnot, some of them you know, talking about telling things. I mean, I was educated today about some of the animals there. So it was it was a good experience, but man, it kicked my ass because these allergies have just been you know.
Speaker 2: Been all the walking to I'm sure, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the walking wasn't wasn't as bad because we we had to go you know, you couldn't really go fast if you wanted to, because one, there were so many people there. But also when you have such a big group of kids like you got to make sure you're all together and you got to you know, stop every now and then to make.
Speaker 3: Sure you do it. We got it.
Speaker 4: We had to do a pretty consistent roll call throughout make sure we had all kids, which.
Speaker 2: I mean every three animals or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hopefully every you hear, hopefully every class was able to bring back all the kids that they took. But it would not shock me and I'm not sure anybody could really be at fault if for a moment you had to look around, Okay, where's this kid, where's that kid? Because it's a uh, it's a free for all. But I'm telling you, this is just a this is a no brainer. But like I would have never thought about it. But there's a reason why when they send you to the zoo, they make they don't make, but they.
Speaker 3: Encourage kids to wear.
Speaker 4: Like everybody in Maya's class had the same shirt on, which was very made it very easy for us to identify, Yeah, our crew, who's a part of what class, exactly, what grew exactly.
Speaker 2: So I remember having a birthday party years ago at Louisville Zoo, and I don't know if they still do it the same now, but they set you up in like there's like a sea through wall that's right next to like the monkey habitat so like, and the monkeys will come up to the glass and you can like mimic them and mime stuff with the pantomime stuff with them and everything like that. It's one of my more memorable parties. But this is probably when I was like five or six.
Speaker 4: Dude, I never had any we never had I never had a party at the zoo, and I never had any cool field trips like that. Maybe I just don't remember, but like we we went. I mean, field trips were always fun because you got to get out of class, like you got to go do something. We went to a lot of plays. I guess that was kind of fun.
Speaker 2: We okay, I never went to a place.
Speaker 4: We took some some trips to the tractors, theaters, saw some cool plays. We went to the Science Center a lot, which that was That was fine. But the zoo and when did it come? Yeah, we talked about the other day, like there was a Bats game where they started at like ten thirty in the morning because it was it was the kids dad the education day. And I'm like, we never got to go to the zoo when I was in school. We never got to go to a game. They'd be cool as hell. So I'm jealous of these kids. But this is the second year I've chaperoned our annual zoo trip for her classroom, and it was it was a good time. It was a good time. But again I'm paying for it. But hopefully hopefully you know, when I when I leave here, I'm probably gonna walk down to the UH to the Is it a Walgreens of CVS that's just down the slot, Yes, right down the blow. I'm gonna hit that CVS and I'm just gonna say like, hey, please help me, give me, just say please, please give me, and they'll just look up allergies. It won't be quite the scene is if you've seen Hitch with Kevin James and Will Smith when he's allergic to some he's got like food allergies and he's in that he's in that that drug store and just like looks like completely like he's you know, yeah, he looks like death.
Speaker 3: It won't be that.
Speaker 4: I won't have the visual, but I gotta get something going here. So all right, let's let's get the table set. As mentioned, we are taking you up till six o'clock. There's a lot to get into. A lot of reaction from the big news in the last roughly twenty four to forty eight hours about the n C double A basically saying, look, we're going to leave it to you guys, meaning the four Power conferences to determine how you're going to enforce things, what kind of regulations, what kind of rules, And I think it may turn into a big game of chicken, right, Like, if you are a big, powerful school and you bring a lot of value to your league, and it would be clear that if you didn't exist in that league anymore, the league wouldn't be as valuable. And by the way, there aren't that many programs like that.
Speaker 3: But if you don't want to do this, who's going to force the issue?
Speaker 4: Who's going like if you you know, Tennessee is the one that comes to mind for me because they're the ones who still as of even this past you know, this past week, they are still filing lawsuits to try to basically say we'll pay whatever and we'll fight it in court to where we're going to utilize our pockets and our our deep boosters to where we can we can we can buy our way out of anything by any player we want. So if Tennessee was told by the SEC, sorry, you're kicked out of the league if you don't do it, like, would they actually do that? I Mean, here's where you really need everybody being on the same page, and that's that's best for everyone. But there may be some that just say, look no, if we feel like we've got a better ability to compete at a higher level, and we can take advantage of this and it'll be better for us to have more success.
Speaker 3: Then that's what we're gonna do. I mean, there may be programs.
Speaker 4: That I wouldn't be shocked if there's a few out there that think, yeah, this is a mess, but we've been able to benefit from it, So why we want to change it. If everybody's got an even playing field, we're no longer being able to leverage and utilize a strinth that we have.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I'm holding out hope that it gets worked out.
Speaker 4: But again, you're relying on everybody to work together, and I don't think everybody's going to be willing to do that because by doing that, they may put themselves in a position to where they're not as able to succeed. And you know, I kind of get it from that standpoint, but something's got to give. This is not sustainable as far as where it is right now with no regulations and it being a complete free for all. Also, Game one of the Western Conference Finals last night is now complete as the thunder protected home court they went over the Tea Wolves. I want to talk about this probably coming up here soon on the other side, because I found myself watching last night, and I've never been in the position that Kentucky fans may be in. If you don't watch the playoffs, then whatever, I get it. NBA's not for everybody. But like you've got Shay Gillis Alexander an MVP candidate leading the Thunder. You've got Julius Ramday, who last night had the Tea Wolves on his back. I mean, two former players that gave you some great moments. How do you decide who you want to win?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: How do you?
Speaker 4: Again, I've never I've never been in this position. I've never watched an NBA game or really certainly a playoff series where.
Speaker 3: I'm having to decide I've got a Louisville guy.
Speaker 4: Like the closest thing I've had is my Pacers last series going up against Donovan and the Calves. But for me it was pretty easy because I'm a Pacers fan. So I don't know, just it's not new that Canentucky's had such representation in the NBA.
Speaker 3: That's been the case for a long time.
Speaker 4: But I think I could be just making this up at three twenty one without giving in any thought before right now, in this moment, But has Cow's guys that moved on from Kentucky to the NBA. Has there been this much representation for them this late in the postseason? Again, maybe there hasn't. I'm just an idiot, But you've got again Shay and Cason Wallace for the Thunder. You've got Julius Randall, who's a big piece for the Wolves, dealing him doesn't play a lot, but he's with the with the Wolves as well.
Speaker 3: And then obviously Karl Anthony Towns.
Speaker 4: He's been a huge factor for the Bodega Cat as they call him. He's been a big factor for the Knicks. So I don't know, just I'm kind of envious in a way, but if I was in your shoes, I'm not really sure how I would determine who I wanted to win. Also, we've got an updated look at.
Speaker 3: The annual rankings that.
Speaker 4: CBS puts out CBS Sports, I should say, for the best coaches in college football. I do love the reaction from some Kentucky fans that are like Mark Stoops is no longer a consensus top twenty five football coach. I mean, I don't want to do the rivalry thing and like make it about that, but like, did you ever really believe he.
Speaker 3: Was what would make you think that?
Speaker 4: The only thing that would ever make you think that is that he won some games at Kentucky which nobody else had done before. Like there's really not any specific accomplishment that isn't super related to just the fact that it's Kentucky that made him ever look good. And I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I mean, I'm not even saying he should be fired because last year, as bad as it was, he does probably deserve that Mulligan because of he has put their program in a much different world than they were in previously. But anybody claiming Stoops was a great coach during his time in Lexington, claiming he's you know, top twenty, they're just looking at it from one specific element. Damn, Kentucky isn't a dorm at anymore in the SEC. Guy must be pretty good. And that's not that's not unfair, but like that's that, that's that's always been what made him seem anything other than what he is, which is a coach that is pretty pretty blah. I mean, I don't really think that's a hot take. I don't think that's me doing the rivalry thing. I think that's just what it is, so we can get into that. Also, the tush push will not be banned. The tush push is here to stay, which I don't really care a lot about it, but I know it's a hot topic in the NBA or in the NFL, and I just love that the Eagles sent Jason Kelcey to this NFL owners meeting I guess in Minneapolis or wherever it was to like it's like it's like where it's like he's at Congress or something fighting for them to change a law like it. I mean, is it that big of a deal. I mean, clearly they they mean, clearly they benefit from it. The Eagles and others could do it as well, but like I didn't realize it was that big of an issue, but clearly it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything Eagles do is corny.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of with you. I'm kind of with you.
Speaker 2: I think I think Jason Kelsey's corny. I'm with you. I mean, I mean, like Philadelphia US against the World, Philly is corny.
Speaker 4: That I don't mind as much, just because I think there's some hit like the Rocky thing kind of plays with me. But other than that like like Bert Kreischner is that his name?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And Travis Kelce, like they have the same build. They take their shirts off and drink beer. We're talking limited range here. That's not that funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they get the fat boy that's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not that fun Like again, I'm not saying those guys are bad dudes and I dislike them, but I've never quite understood like what, oh man, these guys are awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 4: Fifteen years Like the best thing ever was the the Tom Brady roast that Netflix did. And who is the girl who's so raunchy but kind of hot? Laer, Yeah, she's she's hot, but she's really hockey. She's really funny too, you know what I mean? Like that that that kind of works for me. But she was like, oh, oh is this Brett or Burt?
Speaker 2: It's Bert Bert Kreischer.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I was gonna say Brett Bert.
Speaker 4: Bert's the one who takes his shirt off a lot, right, yes, Okay, Well, like she was like, Oh, I love your joke where you take your shirt off.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 4: Because it's true, Like that's like if he like, that's such a subtle thing, but like, you know, and what was kind of funny in a way that maybe makes it makes me sound mean, but like he kind of and this is probably just him being a really good comedian. He kind of laughed, but then had the face where like he felt like he was outed, Like yeah, that's all I got. All I got is just I just ye hand, I'm kind of sloppy, and I take my shirt off and drink beer, and like everybody thinks it's funny, you know, like not there are many men in society that could do that that are also you know, on the heftier side or whatnot.
Speaker 3: So anyways, well have some fun today, stick around.
Speaker 4: It's coffee and company, and I've got allergies really bad right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, it's coffee and company field by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: The allergies are actually improving.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just because I've now been indoors for a good amount of time to where it's kind of fading away. But I've got my my son's baseball game tonight, and I'm gonna be I'm gonna have some kind of medication in me before I get there, because I don't I don't want to. In fact, this is this is super not important at all. But just let me share this real quick, because what made me realize that I needed to just accept defeat wasn't just the zoo trip today where I was hurting, but on Mother's Day, we were at my mom's house and having a real good time just hanging out, you know, enjoying Mother's Day, spending time with my mom. But I'd been outside here and there playing with the kids, and it was a real bad day. I don't know if the pollen count was bad that day or whatever it was, but like anytime I went outside, like eyes water and I'm sneezing. I'm I'm not coughing, but like I just it was a bad day for allergies.
Speaker 3: And it got to the point where my mom was just like, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: What what is going on when you, like when you knock it off like thought I was doing it like intentional, and I was like, okay, yeah, she's right, I'm just I'm being I'm trying to be a hard ass here and not just accepting that I need to be, you know, on medication. And it's not like I'm We've already got people on the text line. Are you anti medicine?
Speaker 3: Not at all? Trust me?
Speaker 4: Uh, I would have a panic attack if I knew I didn't have meds that make me, you know, be able to get through a day. I'm not in any way anti med I'll experiment.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not against that at all, not with anything. But you know, if you sell me off, well, I mean like you're not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: If I if I said, hey, Austin, I got a guy who's got some heroine, I'm not letting you do it, even if you want to. So don't leave.
Speaker 4: Don't leave the uh the listeners thinking you're out here putting anything. Yeah, I mean, but you know other things that may you know. Yeah, in fact, we're getting really out of out out of our lane here, if we even have a lane on this show. But have you noticed And maybe maybe I'm about to say something that you're gonna chuck out because you're gonna think, oh, Nick, you're so sheltered. But like shrooms are big now, yeah, not like you know to a crazy level, like you can now buy them like you can buy you know, like gummies to an extent in certain areas, and.
Speaker 2: Like it's got the psilocybin in Yeah. Yes, like I say, everyone's going off.
Speaker 4: It's a big market apparently. And you know, it's just something I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: I've had some of the the psilocybin drinks before, and they have like candies and stuff like that. I wouldn't say that they've necessarily done anything for me. It's probably just not the high the highest of dosids, I guess.
Speaker 3: So you can now do like CBD drinks. They're real popular.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the cornbread people have Do.
Speaker 3: You think that they are? Have you had any of those?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we did collaboration with ah there. They taste really really good.
Speaker 3: That well, I'm not talking about taste here, sir, I'm talking about something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very much, very much. They even say it on the can, like how much you need to like if you really want to get that maximum like blissful type of feeling. And it's probably about like two and a half to three. But I can have one when I get off of work and that's all I need.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, now you're now we're talking, and.
Speaker 2: They taste like Seltzer's. I know you like yourself.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, Seltzer season is upon us, absolutely, that's for sure. And if Seltzer Season can now be enhanced with something other than just you know, little vodka or whatever they put in Seltzers depending on what you're drinking, then I'll I mean, I'll indulge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a corner of people spend good money here. Shout out to them.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Jim Team Jim.
Speaker 2: Awesome guy. There's another dude that runs their social Media's name is actually guy and it's he's a pretty he's a pretty cool, pretty cool cat.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you've got a guy in your group of guys, it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: You're trustworthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I don't know any I don't know anybody like offhand named guy. But there's something that I that's an intriguing enough named or I would want to get to little.
Speaker 3: I would want to get to know guy a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, you know, like where does that come from? Is your name just Steve? And then you just you just happen to get on that crew like, Hey, I'm a guy. Look, no, your guy now.
Speaker 4: I mean, I look, if if it becomes such a momentous thing where I can't avoid the Nico, I'm gonna go guy.
Speaker 3: I'm going guys, you know, instead of.
Speaker 2: Being like more of a guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not a Nico.
Speaker 4: For those who don't get that reference, it's been made aware to me that my name is Nicholas. And most people now that are born within the last you know, fifteen twenty years, I suppose that are named Nicholas. It is more common that they go by Nico than Nick. And that completely threw me off. And I'm not I'm not conceding. I'm gonna be Nick.
Speaker 2: I knew one Nico when I lived in Arizona, but he was like Hispanic.
Speaker 4: Can you like, you know, and you wonder what his legal name was, Nico, because I guess that's that's a that's a real first name too. It's almost like if you're calling somebody Nico and their name is Nicholas, it's almost like you're a fraud, because like Nico can be a standalone name, Yeah, sure can be. I'm sure there are some people named Nick whose legal name is not Nicholas. But in fact, I think Nicholas Cage. It has like a bit where he talked, not a bit because he's not a comic, but like he had talked about how he learned of people named Nick and not Nicholas, and he didn't know that was the thing. And only I, as a fellow Nick, would remember that. I'm sure none of you care, but anyways, we'll move on. So the ncaa decision from Charlie Baker, who's now the president, which he's got to be like the least known name, who took over for a guy who everybody knew his name because everybody hated him. Mark Emmert was the I mean, he was the biggest punching bag in college sports for a long time for obvious reasons. And yet he also, you know, he was bringing in four or five million dollars annually, would get these big million dollar bonuses too, just because you know, the NCUBA made a lot of money. And at that time when he was running the show, you couldn't make any nil. And if you did anything to like, you know, sold to make ends meet as a college athlete, they tell you you're ineligible. I mean it was a real sham. But anyways, Charlie Baker is now the new Mark Emertt and he has confirmed as of yesterday that was the big news that they are currently meaning they When I say they, I mean the Power Conferences, the acc SEC, Big Ten, Big twelve. They're working together to get everybody within those leagues on the same page to sign off on an agreement that they will abide by rules and regulations that are put together in this document. Whatever they're calling it, the affiliation Agreement, I believe is what is being run with what a lot of people are thrown out there as far as what it's going to be called. So this would give us some guidelines, some guardrails, if you will, to where it feels as if college sports is not such a free for all. But I do believe that getting everybody on the same page to where they decide, Yeah, the way it is right now, it might be a mess, but you know what we're benefiting from it. We are able to utilize something we couldn't utilize before. That makes us more competitive, That gives us a better chance to be super successful. And those schools in that position, if they say no, we're not signing off on this, what really happens?
Speaker 3: Are they going to.
Speaker 4: I mean, it came out on Tuesday with I'm sorry Monday night with ross Ellinger's report that they would potentially kick schools out of conferences if they don't agree. I'm not really sure if they can do that, and I'm not sure to'll ever get to that point, but it might because again if you know that, like because Tennessee to me, I can't give you any specific I mean, they've been in trouble. They were in trouble for cheating until like the very end, until it became you know, really hard to regulate. I mean, they fired Jeremy pruittt and fired him with cause because they were able to you know, I mean, they basically acknowledged that they were cheating and made him the scapegoat so they didn't have to pay him a buyout, and he filed a crazy lawsuit saying that they, you know, have heard him from being able to continue to have employment in the industry that he that he started out in. So, I mean, Tennessee for some reason, maybe it's because of the lawsuit they filed last week, as they continue to still file lawsuits to fight the NC DOUBLEA and their ability to rule anything, but they to me just seem like a school that they've been better in football. Certainly they've been better in basketball, but I don't think that was because of necessarily anything within IL. I think they just have a good coach who's competent and does a pretty good job. But they also just went out and got Nata Ment, who some people say might have been the most expensive high school.
Speaker 3: Recruit in this class.
Speaker 4: So in baseball they won a national championship last year. So maybe they're not the school that comes to mind for others, but to me, they're the one who I could totally understand if you're like, yeah, it is a mess, but man, life's been better for us. We're not getting railroaded all the time by the NC DOUBLEA. We actually have a competent football coach and Josh Hypel. We have a good basketball coach in Rick Barnes, and now he's able to utilize deep pockets that we've always he's had because you can go buy a team by players now. So I'm sure every conference might have a school that says, yeah, we don't really know if this would make a lot of sense for us, because yes, despite it being such a mess, and they're not really being any clear guidelines that everybody knows what they can and can't do. We have been more successful in them in this chaos that has been existing in college sports the last few years.
Speaker 3: So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: But this alone being sort of out there as these conferences try to work through it's that's a big step in getting this thing not as chaotic and not such a free for all. But the affiliation Agreement is going to be on the agenda at the Big twelve SEC in Big Ten meetings this month. So I guess at some point this month all of those conferences are going to have their own meetings and this will be a big topic of discussion. The ACC spring spring meetings obviously took place last week, where the agreement was not presented. The school presidents did not attend those ACC Spring meetings. So the Big Yeah, the Big Ten, the SEC, and the Big twelve are all apparently meeting this week and next week. So the Big Ten is this week, the SEC in Big twelve is next week, so school presidents will be involved in those meetings. So that's where they can really kind of talk through this and figure out if they're going to be able to come to an agreement with everybody within their league, the ACC presidents, though I don't know if this was already planned, but ross Ellinger does report that the ACC presidents will meet independently this week, and I would assume even if it wasn't planned, I'm sorry, even if it was already planned, this will obviously be something they discussed. And I think, you know, you get the sense that it's a helpless situation as far as what you can and what you can't do. And when you're in that spot, you're really like, there's just no continuity. It's just a free for all. Nothing surprises you. It's complete chaos. And if you are working in this space right, if you're an athletic director specifically, like you probably just want some clarity and want it's some consistency as far as what you are allowed to do and what you're not. And we're at a point now where every day seemingly there's a new lawsuit being filed, where the NCAA has been been over so much in recent years that everybody's just trying to take advantage of that. I mean, sa Kai Ziggler. I don't know if you guys saw the lawsuit another Tennessee situation here. I mean he played four years of college basketball, and he played a lot of games. I mean he played I believe thirty ish games every year he was in school for four years. He did have an injury that cut one of his seasons short, but even in that year, he played thirty games. So he has filed a lawsuit that became public yesterday because he's claiming if there's a five year window, which, of course that five year o'clock still exists, that's why Ali Khalifa has been denied eligibility, and they wait for the appeal process to play out. But with Diggler, his lawsuit is pretty straightforward. He claims, I still want to attend school here. I'm still a student. I'm getting my master's degree. Why can I not play? And obvious people would obviously say, well, because you've already played four years, you get four years to play. That's the way it's always been. His lawsuit claims that it shouldn't be that way. If you've got a five year window that you are granting everybody, you get five years to play four His argument is, well, I'm still in school, I'm still a student athlete. I'm just getting a master's why can't I still play? And as far as where that lawsuit goes, I have no clue. But that's just another example of even if you feel like it's there's no real case to be made that you know, like these guys who tried to like Ziggler like that are trying to just claim that they should still be able to play college sports. I mean, I don't see how the court system would say, yeah, you're right, you should be able to play five But it does seem like his lawsuits specifically. Maybe it's because he's he's such a talented player, but part of me says, well, that's an opening shut case. He's played four years, he's not eligible anymore. His time has come to an end. But also, I guess it wouldn't shock me if there's a judge who's like, yeah, if they're going to give you five years to get four in and you're still a student athlete and you're still going to school, why shouldn't you be allowed to play basketball like other students. Well, the answer would be because you've already played four years and that's the rule. Well, maybe there's a judge that says that shouldn't be the rule. And if that's the case, then it's a complete mess, right because if he was to if Ziggiler was to have some success in this lawsuit, that means everybody, everybody.
Speaker 3: Can claim I get five years. I mean, think about that.
Speaker 4: Think. I mean, it became a story with all these dudes that hit the portal that were just trying to see if this would happen. Well, if Zigler wins his lawsuit, everybody whose eligibility ran out after four years this past year would get a blanket waiver. And then you got to worry about guys who have been away from the game for however long that only played four I guess maybe they could claim, well, you know your five years, you should have followed this lawsuit within the five years. Maybe that would be the argument. But the more we discuss this, the more my head hurts, because it's just this would until something is done, like the affiliation agreement being cleared and agreed upon by every power conference. This is never going to end these endless lawsuits. And that's just I mean, it's not about right or wrong. It's just about what makes sense for college sports. Because what you think, what you think as far as just the way things should be doesn't mean that it's technically the right way, or it doesn't necessarily mean that that's what should be allowed. And the best example of that is there are and I understand this because it's the way it's always been. Like people think it's insane that you could transfer anywhere you want at any time, as many times as you want, And I get it because we're just used to, well, no, you commit to a school, you stay there, and the penalty for leaving a school that you committed to is that you have to sit out a year. That's just the way it's always been. That doesn't mean that that's the way that it should have always been, though different conversation. I mean, I do believe this when it comes to like there needing to be a cap on nil, that I'm more in agreement with to an extent. But the transfer thing I've never I've never, i think, been on the same page with a lot of college sports fans.
Speaker 2: To me, if.
Speaker 4: Johnny whatever can leave the University of Cincinnati as a band member and go to u of L and be in their pet band and not have to sit out, why should a student athlete have to sit out just because the way it's always been, just because it'll be hard to maintain control because it'll be a free for all, because it'll be hard for coaches to retain players, it'll be hard for coaches to actually coach them and discipline them without them just up and leaving. All of that is true, but that doesn't mean that you should be able to restrict them from being able to play wherever they want. They're not employees, they're not on a contract. I mean they're they're getting paid, but they're not on a contract to where the NCUBLEA can tell student athletes you have to do this, and that's why they keep getting dunked on in court. So there's so many things that we just it's been that way since the existence with the NCUBLEA, and that's the way a lot of people think it should be. But that's a different conversation. Just because things have been that way forever doesn't mean that was the right way. Which the proof of that is the billion dollars settlement that is in place here because the nc DOUBLEA has been told what you've been doing for generations, Yeah, that's illegal, and that's why they're in this spot. Right quick break will come back on the other side, talking about last night's game one of the Western Conference Finals in the NBA, and we got a lot more to come, So don't go anywhere, keep it lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's On Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Day, I was telling Austin a story during the break that inspired him to play this song, which I've got no complaints. I mean, this is a jam. But I have a buddy of mine who who is Who's African American? And at times he'll he'll lean on me to I guess answer something that comes from I guess the white culture. He works on the assembly line at GE And I'll just tell you the question he said.
Speaker 3: He said, Hey, quick question for you. What is the is the.
Speaker 4: White version of whose man's is this? Get a load of this guy? And I'm like, yeah, that checks out. And I said, but there's another one and he was like what what could it be? And I'm like, you want to take a guess And he was like no, and I said, I think this also fits too. Look with the cat drug in, Like, have you ever heard anybody say that when somebody like shows up that you weren't expecting or you know, just trying to bust somebody's chops upon arrival. I mean, it's a little, it's a little it's a little old school. But you know, like if me and Austin are hanging out, you know, watching a game and having some beers and all of a sudden, you know, Dwight Witton walked in, it wouldn't be a shocker for me to say, well, look what the cat drug in right like, you know, and he was, he was, he was amazed, and he was like, all right, I'm gonna go with that one and see what they say. And you know, I was like, well, I hope I'll find out if it if it worked or not. I'm not really sure what kind of debate he and his coworkers were having about this, but I just.
Speaker 2: Imagine they have like a family feud board and the guys, like in the survey says.
Speaker 4: I do like that he he reached out to me to as you know, someone that can that can speak on behalf of his white friends.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I mean I felt like I did a pretty good job. Yeah, you know, I felt like I helped him out. But there are certain sayings when it comes to the culture, that kind of mean the same thing, you just say something different. And I feel like that, you know, I think he's right. You know, whose man's is this? Yeah, that that's that's often said more so by the black culture, and you know, get a load of this guy. That's probably more common and would look with the cat drug again, but I think both can work. I think both can work there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well yeah, he's uh yeah, he's verified on that one. He's invited to the fish fry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and hopefully with that he'll give us an invite to the cookout.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's that's.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's nothing, there's nothing like your your black friend's gassing you up.
Speaker 2: I mean it. I mean, it makes you feel so much better as a white guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I remember one time I was doing a vibe check and this this older black gentleman. He had on like a like a cagole hat, you know, oh yeah, and he looked I mean, he.
Speaker 3: Looked like he was the coolest dude in the world.
Speaker 4: And I, uh, I complimented his hat and he handed it to me and I was like, can I put it on? He was like yeah, So I put it on and I was like, how do I look? And he was like, come on, man, rocketed better than me. He just like, you know, it made me feel like I was the coolest I've ever been in my life.
Speaker 2: Nothing makes you feel more handsome too, when when a lady says, hey baby, oh yeah, of course, and because they stretch it out, they make you feel oh yeah.
Speaker 3: It's I can't quite describe the feeling, but it's but it's awesome. It's good stuff, all right.
Speaker 4: So last night game one of the of the Western Conference Finals, as the Oklahoma City Thunder protected home court, and I mean it was I mean OKC is the number one seed, therefore them winning the way they did probably not a big shock. I still think this can be a really good series, but Anthony Edwards having a pretty doud fourth quarter that certainly didn't help Minnesota. And I think I think last night and watching the game, I've realized that I have, like I I've got some resistance on my end to kind of acknowledge just how good OKC is. And I don't think it's because of their small market, because yes, they're in a small market, and I don't, you know, they don't seem to get the like if they were if Oklahoma City had these pieces and they were this team and they weren't Oklahoma City, they were New York or even Brooklyn or LA or Miami, the Heat or something like that, it'd be different. I mean, it just would. And I think, you know, that's really not even up for debate. So maybe with that, I just don't realize that despite this guy, I mean, I don't want to pick on this guy because he's a really, really good player. In fact, he's a lot better than I even realized. But Jalen Williams the guy who was really I think you can make the case I think he's their second best player. I mean, it's obviously Shay Gilders Alexander, that's their franchise, that's the MVP front runner, and they're really built pretty solid, Like they have a lot of good pieces in the stats don't really like, for example, Alex Caruso. I mean, his numbers aren't aren't going to jump out at you, but he's got a really important role. He's a big factor for their success. He's a veteran guard who you know will do the dirty work, a really good defender, and you know you got Isaiah Hartenstein, who's also been a really you know, solid player in the NBA. I mean, they've got they've got role guys who are really good at the specific roles they have, and then they've got a star in Shay who's averaging twenty nine points and six and a half assists, five rebounds the game. There's a reason he's an NBA Pete favorite right now. But like Jalen Williams, he's, in my opinion, easily their second best player. Some would maybe say Chad, I would say Jalen Williams, but he could walk into I feel like a lot of establishments across the country and nobody would know who he is, the second best player who's averaging twenty one points per game for the team with the best record in the NBA sixty eight and fourteen.
Speaker 3: It's rare that.
Speaker 4: I mean, for example, the Denver Nuggets, they've got four guys that I think are more noticeably famous from the NBA than Jalen Williams. And this is not a knock on Jayla Williams, but think about this. He went to Santa Clara and he plays for Oklahoma City. He's insanely good, But how many people even know about that. Again, where he went to college, you never heard of him. And in the NBA you might know the name, you might know that they're good. But like you know, I say all this to say that they're a lot better than I think I even realized, because last night they didn't do any crazy they didn't rely on any crazy night from one specific guy. They just they played to their ability and they're they're just better. So Minnesota still has has a chance to win this thing. I mean, they they've got ant man, who's you know, I think, one of the best players in the NBA. And I don't know why. I really, I'm a big I really like him. Is he to me, he seems like he's got charisma, like he's he's a pretty easy guy to like in the NBA. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, he's he's a baller too. He's really good. And then also, I mean, he didn't show up last night. He did not in the fourth quarter. He was he was no show. But also guys like I mean, nas Reed's a really good role player for them. Jaden McDaniels had a breakout season, and then Julius Randall, I mean, I knew Julius Randall had had really improved in the last four or five years.
Speaker 3: It really started.
Speaker 4: Whenever he was in New York. But right now, I mean, this guy's been I mean, he's had a phenomenal season and he was really good for him last night, So it should be a good series. But I think Oka se uh just from what I saw, and again it's one game and they were at home and they were making shots. But I think right now, if I had to tell you who I believe is going to win the NBA Finals, I think I would go with I think I would go with OKC.
Speaker 3: And the reason that I'm, I guess more so up on them than I.
Speaker 4: Was previously is because I just with Jokic, you never can count anybody. The Nuggets could. The Nuggets could beat anybody in a series with Jokic, and they nearly did. They just you know, they end up getting blown on in Game seven, Aaron Gordon got hurt and they weren't as good as Okac. But obviously just taking them to seven was because of Yokic. In my opinion, he's the best player on the planet. Doesn't mean that he deserves MVP this year, because I think if Shay Good said it'll be well deserved, but this should be a really good series. And then tonight, man, I can't wait. I mean, I am ready for Game one between my Pacers and the Knicks. And what I'm really really embracing here is that if the Pacers were in the Eastern Conference Finals against anybody, I'd be excited, but I'd be a liar if I didn't acknowledge that I'm more into this series because they're playing the Knicks. Like if they were playing the Cavs in this series instead of the one they just played him in, or they were playing you know, the Celtics. I mean with that, you would have to you'd feel a little bit more worried because obviously the Celtics when they're fully healthy, I mean, that's they're the defending champs. But man, I hope my pad. I was about to say, I can't wait until they do. I mean maybe that was me just trying to speak it into existence, but I would love for my Pacers to get back to the finals and in the next season, and the Knicks deserve to be here. They had a hell of a run. They're a pretty likable group as far as I think they're personnel. I mean, I like Karl Anthony Towns. I think he's you know, he's a rare guy in a lot of ways, but he's a really good player, plays with a lot of passion, a lot of energy. And then clearly Jalen Brunson is their franchise and if he gets them to the finals, I mean, he's already looked at as like an all time nick because of the fact that they're relevant again. But like New York fans, if you get them, if you win the East, Like I don't know if he'd be fair to say he's like an all time a legend, but like there's already people talking like he's he's in the conversation, is one of the best knicks in a long time. And I want to fight against that. I want to resist and say, come on, y'all are crazy. He's only been with New York for what four years?
Speaker 2: You're one of the best knicks of all time? Oh thank you.
Speaker 4: But either way, like I mean, they haven't had many great players, Like there have been guys that have ended up in New York whenever it was already over, like Stefan Marberry. I mean, Tracy McGrady was there, if you guys remember that or not. Mello kind of Mellow was good there, but they weren't great, you know what I mean. So uh and Mello was more of like it was a big deal because Melo was Mellow. Mellow was one of the biggest stars in the league. The Knicks, they weren't back home and they never made the finals with with with Melo. So I'm looking forward to this series tonight. But it's gonna be tough because obviously the Knicks have home court advantage and all the bandwagon celebrities are gonna be there. You gotta love the celebs like Jason Sadeikis, who court sided the Lakers because man, it's just his team court.
Speaker 3: Side at the Knicks, because man, it's just his team. Get out of here, you bum.
Speaker 2: Timothy Shallome, this huge Knicks fan, I'm out.
Speaker 4: I'm not watching Ted last, So not after Sadaeikis is gonna do. Not after Sidekas is pulling this stuck like he's like he's a lifer for the Lakers and the Knicks.
Speaker 3: Get out of here.
Speaker 4: You're a Hollywood bandwagon bum, and your Knicks even though you're not your Knicks.
Speaker 3: They're going down to night. I hope two hours left.
Speaker 4: Keep it a lot right here on four Stock seven ninety