Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Anda, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 2: See thanks for joining us, and if you are just now joining us, welcome in. If you've been with us, thanks, thanks for hanging out. It is Kentucky and it's morning. News Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee with you here on News Radio forty whas John all on alongside today and as you could expect, two of the big stories nationally we've discussed throughout the morning here here and there a mass shooting that took place yesterday in midtown Manhattan where a lone gunman.
Speaker 1: Showed up forty four story office tower.
Speaker 2: I think it was killing four people, including an NYPD officer, and also taking his own life.
Speaker 1: So the.
Speaker 2: Situation here, I just I don't know what to expect at all when it comes to any type of response from the NFL. So for those who who haven't, look, if you haven't got the latest information here, I totally get it. This took place yesterday early evening, and well into the evening it seems as if, and I guess maybe even well into the morning, you're still starting to hear more about this individual who decided to do what he did, And as far as the reasoning, I'm still trying to get used to talking about a reasoning without it sounding like, oh, okay, well that's why he did it makes sense. No, nothing will ever make sense when it comes to these kind of things. But the motive here appears to be something related to football and CTE. So this twenty seven year old former high school football player from southern California, he's lived in Vegas, and he claims to have CTE. And they found a note in his pocket referencing chronic traumatic in a philuff.
Speaker 1: And I'm butchering it. I just know it as CTE.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure a lot of people know what I'm talking about when I say ct And the note cited Terry Long, a former Steeler who died by suicide after suffering from CTE. And of course, this this individual, this suspect, expressed rage toward the league with a quote football gave me CTE. You can't go against the NFL. They'll squash you. So he did request in his note his brain to be studied and left an apology for somebody by the name of Rick. So this building is where the NFL has one of their corporate headquarters, and one NFL employee was critically injured. Another business that's there as Blackstone, they had an executive that was shot and killed in the lobby and then also an officer died, a thirty six year old off duty officer who was their working security. So just an awful situation all the way around. And the NFL. I can't imagine really what their response will be here because you know, they have an employee who is has been critically injured in this situation, and but they'll be asked about I mean this, what this is going to do is in at some point Roger Goodell and I'm sure there's already been requests for comment a statement in regards to what happened. But CSE will continue to be a talked about thing for a long long time. And no doubt they will study this individual's brain and we'll see I mean again, regardless of if you have CTE or not.
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't speak because I I don't have it. I don't know anybody that does. But what I'm curious, and I'm not insinuating that this will be the case, but is did this individual try to get into like does the NFL know who this guy is? He's somebody that's been like trying to get in touch with them, harassing them, anything like that. Not that that will make a huge difference, but that is what I'm curious to know.
Speaker 1: But let's be honest.
Speaker 2: The NFL, yes, they are the National Football League, right, it's the it's I mean it's they have no competition, to be honest with you when it comes to sports in America, when it comes to popularity, viewership, all that kind of stuff. But he didn't play in the NFL. I mean, he played high school football, and I'm pretty sure that's where it stopped. So those of you that are anti football, which I can't imagine, but hey, everybody's everybody's different, I'm sure this will be, you know, used as an example why football is too dangerous, which.
Speaker 1: I always say this.
Speaker 2: And I don't hope this happens and it never will.
Speaker 1: This is not realistic in any.
Speaker 2: Way, but I do believe that if football as a sport was introduced today the way that we play it. We're talking about the athletes that look like they were created in laboratories. If you introduce this sport today and gave us a sample of it, I do believe medical professionals would tell us yeah, we can't do that just because I mean.
Speaker 1: It's quite literally a car wreck every play. It just is.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love the NFL, and clearly it's dominant, probably more so than the average sports fan realizes. When it comes to just it's king and you know, they could get away with certain things that other pro leagues wouldn't be able to get away with because it's the NFL. A lot of power within the NFL. So again, I'm not saying that we should get rid of football in any way. Love football, and there's been many many that played it throughout their whole life that ended up, you know, living lives with no long term effects. But obviously there are some that have had some issues, including CTE. And then there's another aspect of this as well, in the grand scheme of like society football. The way we play it now from like a societal standpoint is relatively new. Meaning we'll see right like down the line, guys who played in the NFL and the nineties when they all get older, like what's their condition going to be? What is their you know, what kind of health are they going to be in? And to be fair, the NFL, they've got the resources for it, but they are constantly, constantly spending an insane amount of money to continue to try to learn the best way they can keep players safe and keep them healthy as possible, and that's what you would do. But the reality is this, the football as it is in the NFL is always going to be a very violent sport and that's never going to change. All right, Let's get an update of traffic and weather as we roll along here at Kentucky and it's morning news, coffee and company with you here on news radio eight forty w uhas. It sounds like today and tomorrow are gonna be the worst of this, this current heat wave that's going on, and the relief is expected to arrive Thursday and Friday with some cooler temperatures, but today going to be really, really hot.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Let's see here, the high is around ninety four ninety five degrees, but it's gonna feel like starting at let's see, starting at eleven am, it'll feel like one hundred degrees or hotter for the rest of the day up until ten o'clock tonight when it comes to the heating decks. So the heating decks is expected to be at its worst around between four and six PM when it's at one hundred and six degrees So gross. Right now, I've asked folks to share. If you are somebody that works in this, I'm sure you don't enjoy it, but maybe you get used to it, and clearly you're tougher than me. But I would like to know what is something that may surprise someone like myself who's soft and not as tough as you that can help when it comes to dealing with this type of heat and humidity during a work shift.
Speaker 1: Obviously, hydration is key.
Speaker 2: But I'm curious if there's something that you make sure you do to get through that workshift better that maybe some people don't know about. And look, maybe not only could you give us some good info, you could help others. I wouldn't want to be a gatekeeper when it comes to doing whatever you can to make sure people can can get through what would be I think just an absolutely brutal day of work. But hey, it's been hot before people have gotten through it. That's what they do, So props to you, guys. I'm very fortunate to be able to be in a temperature controlled environment here just jap it in front of a microphone. But yeah, if you want to share that with us, you can on the talkback feature within the iHeartRadio app. Just open it up, click on that microphone. So if you're listening to HS, you'll see that little microphone when you're within the app, and you you can chime in. We'll get to some of those a little bit later on as we all try to ride out this this heat wave, but again later this week we're expected to get a little bit a little bit of relief with that. All right, So we're now what seven no nine days away from school starting here in Louisville at JCPS, and last night there was a.
Speaker 1: Let's see what was it. It was a.
Speaker 2: Meeting of some sorts. I'm trying to think of the right way. Yeah, they had a parents and teachers gathered last night to have ay, they call it community conversations with the new superintendent. So this is a they're having a series of these public forums and again they're calling it community conversations with doctor Brian year Would and it's just I guess, providing some well needed and deserved transparency as you've got a new superintendent and schools about to start. But as far as the key concern raised by those that were there. You've got student assignment, staffing shortages, legislative relationships, and educational equity. That is according to our partners over at WLKY. So he did confirm doctor Yearwood that JCPS faces a budget deficit and they're reviewing potential cuts, which I mean that speaks to kind of where they are. Probably not a huge surprise to those who are keeping up with things, but yeah, they the shortage of teachers is everywhere, and I don't and look, maybe there's somebody that can give us some good info that can provide some optimism, but I totally get why being a teacher is not as appealing as it once was. And that's unfortunate, because man, being a teacher is really really important and we need them in a major way. And it's not only an industry that you just don't see as many people pursuing when they start that career path.
Speaker 1: There are people who.
Speaker 2: Have done it, maybe even for for a few years, or maybe they've done it for a long time that are walking away from it. So that's that's that's that's not good, and I would imagine just about everybody. Maybe I shouldn't say that because I have no clue, but I would imagine a lot of people that are that that that have decided to do it recently in the last four to five years, and it's it's something they still enjoy. There's got to be a huge element of that. That's just a labor of love. They love doing it. They don't do it for the money. Yeah, there's the convenience of the summer break and all that. But man, shout out to those people because we need them. With my daughter in school and my son starting kindergarten, I mean, teachers are are important and whatever we got to do to to to make them stay and want to do it and of course encourage others to want to go down that same path.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have the answer, but it is scary, no doubt. All right, let's get to another quick update on the roadways. Bobby Ellis will get as caught up on the traffic out there here in Kentucky, and we'll get the latest from Matt Melosa Bitch on the forecast, and Scott's back with another sports update for us right here on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon, It is Kentucky and it's morning News Coffee and company with you here on news Radio eight forty whas I'm Nick Coffee. The one and only John Alden was alongside John. How often are you using chat GPT these days? I don't use it a ton, but my wife uses it a lot. Oh yeah, I can see a teacher really finding it resourceful for a lot of things, which I want to save this conversation for down the line, just because it would be one that would probably take a little bit more time than we have right now. But you now have some cities who have leaders that are making it clear there. I think the mayor, I think it's the mayor of San Jose, California, that has said that he just you know, he gave a speech recently and mentioned that he used chad GPT for it. And to me, that sounds kind of ballsy to make it see because a lot of people just hear that and think, well, it's not genuine.
Speaker 1: Well it can be.
Speaker 2: You can take your work and just polish it with chat GPT, and I'm sure a lot of teachers are doing that. So the reason I ask is, John, if you're a criminal, you need to be careful what you tell chat GPT.
Speaker 1: Oh real, those.
Speaker 2: Conversations aren't confidential. So the CEO of Open AI, he is sounding the alarm, letting users know that treating chat GPT like a therapist or a trusted confidant is risky because your conversations with AI can be used in court, and most users don't know that. I will tell you I don't have anything to worry about because I'm not a criminal, but I would have. That's news to me that I was unaware of, and it honestly kind of surprises me a little bit. I don't think we've yet to get to a point where we've had a big trial that they used. What communication that individual, that suspect was giving to chat gpt.
Speaker 1: But let's be real, think.
Speaker 2: About twenty years from now, maybe even like two years from now, maybe two days from now. That's probably an exaggeration, but like AI is going to be a part of trials, It's going to be part of everything, and the rapid growth of it is just amazing. And I guess it's really not surprising though, because when you think about what it is, I mean, it's only going to keep growing, and it's going to do it at a rapid rate. But if you are using it to help yourself figure out how to be a criminal, or you're using it as a therapist, and you're opening up in ways that you never open up to anybody else, just be prepared. Maybe one day you get caught and they're investigating you and there's not a lot of evidence, but then they get access to what you've been saying to the robot on your phone, and know that that can be used against you, and it won't be long before somebody ends up getting convicted and that was the smoking gun. That's just that'll happen sooner rather than later. I would expect a hard Again.
Speaker 1: It's Kentucky.
Speaker 2: It's morning news here on new Radio eight forty whas. This story is one that is certainly going to get a lot of attention, and it is a story about an NFL player who was recently released from his contract after signing a huge deal last year. Former Raider, former Clemson Tiger Loisill fans probably remember this name, Christian Wilkins. He was released by the Raiders last week, I think it was, And this was after he just last year became one of the biggest free agents in the NFL and had a big time contract, and it seemed to be sort of a puzzling decision from the Raiders. And then there were some rumors that something weird happened, something something that you don't typically see in the NFL might have taken place here with Wilkins, And now we know that it did, and he is accused of trying to playfully kiss a teammate and the teammate didn't like that and made the club aware of it, and I'm sure that was least one of the factors and why they decided to move on from Christian Wilkins.
Speaker 1: Is he how injured?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: When's he back? What happens here with Christian wilcoms.
Speaker 3: Again from speaking to people inside of the locker room, I think what everybody's dancing around and tap tiptoeing around is the fact that when you speak to people there inside of the locker room, they say that Christian playfully went to kiss a teammate on top of his head, and those same people said that that player took offense to it. So that's what everybody's been dancing around and tap dancing around an incident in the locker room where he allegedly playfully kissed a teammate on top of his head. That teammate felt offended by it. And that's what a lot of this talk and speculation that people have just been floating around out there is about.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he kissed a teammate on a forehead in a playful manner. Teammate said nope.
Speaker 2: So that was Adam Schefter with Pat McAfee yesterday. And I mean, I think that that checks out.
Speaker 1: If that is true, I.
Speaker 2: Can see the teammate going to the higher ups and letting them know. And yeah, this has got to be a first in the NFL as far as just to becoming the story like this.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean it's it's unusual. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it's not. I've never I've never played in the NFL. That may surprise some of you. But yes, it never made it to the NFL. But there wasn't a lot of smooching going on. It wasn't a thing when I played basketball, played in high school, played briefly in college. There was no Hey, good play, buddy, smooch time. Let me give it as a hell of a pass, baby, give me a smooch when we get back.
Speaker 1: When that we get back to the huddle.
Speaker 2: You're getting a smooch, you're getting a nice kiss, because what a play like that's not normal. So we'll see what happens here with Christian Wilkins. And there are some sharing some previous footage of Wilkins during his college days and NFL days that might might, just might make you think that if there was going to be an NFL player that wanted to be kissing teammates, maybe maybe maybe he would.
Speaker 1: Be in that group, which is none wrong with that, but you know, you're at work. You got to be professional.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, speaking of that, I mean I'm gonna make an obvious observation here that I'm not sure if others have noticed it. But we'll get to that on the other side here. But first let's get a check on the roadways. Bobby Ellis will tell us how traffic's looking out there here in Kentucky and Ina. We'll get the latest forecast from Matt Melosovich right here on news radio. Wait forty whas So we're just a couple of minutes away from your next update on traffic and weather. I'll spoil the news. It's going to be hot today, so be prepared for that. As far as the traffic, Bobby Ellis will get you caught up and let you know. What you need to know is you may be getting ready to get your Tuesday started. But regardless if you're getting ready to get it started, it's already started. Whatever you're doing wherever you are, we certainly appreciate you now real quick. On the Christian Wilkins situation, So for those who missed, he's a former Clemson player who of course was part of that legendary run Davos Sweeney had at Clemson. He's been in the NFL for probably about five years now and signed a huge contract last year that led to him being one of the big I mean, he was one of the big winners of free agency as far as the compensation. Well, now, just a year later the Raiders moved on from him, and now we know that it to some extent was due to him allegedly kissing a teammate on the forehead and the teammate not having any you know, not having any time for that and bothered by it. And this will be a sensitive talking point for some and I get it because it probably wouldn't be a comfortable thing to like, if in fact, and I'm not saying he is, but if in fact, Christian Wilkins is a gay man, there's been wrong with that at all. It's just not something that you typically see in the NFL. And I'm sure the environment in an NFL locker room would not be one of those places that would be super welcome, uh to those that might that might be gay. And you know, that's unfortunate, but I think that's just reality. But what I think is is just an obvious observation that will probably never you know, we'll never really know, or maybe we will, but when it comes, I let let me just say it. There are some that will claim, well, the the Raiders, they're discriminating against him if it does come out that he's that he's gay, and that's probably what I mean, they'll be They'll be the woke mob claiming that this is that that that the Raiders are at fault in the NFL is at fault and this guy's a victim. However, if he did this to a female and he was not potentially gay, he would be looked at as the biggest pig and he would never work again. Right, But because he did it to a man, he'll be portrayed as a victim here if in fact it does play out that way, like, let's be we know where we are currently in society, right, like that will happen. That's me potentially predicting the future. Again if in fact it does come out that he that he's and again it's not really our business at all, but when you kiss an employee, that's a no no, regardless of your sexuality. And it's going to become news. So now it is news, and sort of what happens from here? Who knows, all right? What I do know is you've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here, right now on news radio, Weight forty whis