Speaker 1: Report to Transporter Room three.
Speaker 2: Oh, Brian, here, I need you in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 1: This is the Captain. Meet me in Transporter Room three. Join us in Transporter Room three. Captain. We're heading for Transporter Room three. This is your favorite transport room, isn't it. You're listening to Transporter Room three with your hosts, Phil Perello and Soak Laura Energize.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the first episode of Transporter Room three, twenty twenty six edition. Mister Scott, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Phil. It's twenty twenty six. We've got the new Star Trek TV show. Yes, we do to talk about Starfleet Academy.
Speaker 2: We do, and I think my opinion of it will surprise our listeners.
Speaker 1: Listen. Yeah, I mean, I don't know how to break this to our listeners.
Speaker 2: You guys are gonna want to sit down. Yeah, you got you need to say, in a beanbag chair or something.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I was really shocked at the texts I was receiving from you, Phil, how emotional you were about this situation. I was worried. I almost I was going to contact your wife Rachel when I was reading these texts, Like, I was like, is Phil. Okay, because it seems as though correct me if I'm wrong, seems as though Phil likes Starfleet Academy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do. And that's all I'm prepared to say about it. I'm not taking questions at this time.
Speaker 1: You gotta say more. This whole episode about that.
Speaker 2: You know what. Okay, here's the deal for Christmas. I put it on and I was like, what, I'm not feeling it this The opening, uh, stuff was a little clunky with Holly Hunter and Paul Giamati and the actress from Orphan Black whose name I'm blanking on, Tatianasslani.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm not buying that the Federation would separate a family like this, and then they tried to explain that with some adr dialogue later when she's when Holly Hunter's character is walking around the arboretum. Yes, right, yeah, back, like, still doesn't That's clearly they're addressing the note on that right still doesn't make sense, especially if you lost your own son in a field situation. Yeah, why would you separate another mother from hers?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I guess it's well, maybe we should back up a bit because this is kind of I think maybe going to be one of the things that one of the through lines through the whole season at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's tell everyone listening that we're reviewing the first two episodes of Starfleet Academy.
Speaker 2: Get too ahead myself here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just you know, because we'll be talking full spoilers, so FYI, and we're doing the first two because those are the first two that come out this week. They're both dropping on January fifteenth, which will be this should this pod episode of the podcast should be posting the morning after they drop. So f YI, is the first two Kids These Days is the pilot episode, directed by Alex Kurtzman. It's basically a movie or well it's like an hour and fifteen minutes. And then Beta Test is the second episode of the season, also directed by Alex Kurtzman. So just FYI, if you guys don't want any spoilers, go watch him then come back here. But yeah, Like, in terms of what you're talking about with the Holly Hunter and her stuff with her son, I agree with you, Like, I I feel like all the flashback stuff in that first episode when we see the young kid and Tatiana Maslani like that stuff. It felt all felt a little rough to me, and and yeah, it's it feels a little undercooked or something. The stuff about Holly Hunter that she that that she would be willing to basically separate a a parent from the child because of what seemed to be like a desperate situation for the Tatiana character, right, like they were they were living, they're living in the time of the Burn where they didn't have starship travel and they was they were starving. So she put she throws in with Paul Giamatti's bad guy noose Braka and uh, she's trying to feed her child and herself. Right. So then for Holly Hunter's captain character whose name I don't think I'll ever be able to pronounce, for her to then like throw Tatiana's character into the slammer, that seems extreme, right, a little little yeah, and it feels a little on the nose, Like let's talk let's talk about family separation in this day and age.
Speaker 2: When the show was pitched and developed, we weren't in a fascist country at the time, so yeah, yeah, I think they were ahead of the time there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So but I agree with you that that stuff like didn't I mean, like I think the actress is good, Tatiana Masslani. I hope I'm pronounce.
Speaker 2: They are amazing. Yeah, and they're brief but impactful scenes. I and that child after took, Yeah he's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I like that little teddy bear that he has too.
Speaker 2: That was an interesting touch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh and Giamati. The trailers were giving us, you know, campy bad performance vibes. I mean he's chewing scenery is yeah, like like like termites.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's what he's Yeah, that's what he's going for though, right, I hate him Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he's a good villain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And they say something in the second episode, Holly Hunter says something about like how do you even know that what he told you about your mother is true? And and I thought that was interesting. But it's like, yeah, like this guy yeah right, like like like he's he's very manipulative and like he's yeah, he's cracking jokes and he's funny and stuff, but he's also really evil and bad and and manipulative. So I think we're gonna have a problem talking about this episode. But I don't know anyone's names except yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just so the main character is Caleb Muir.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's the one who.
Speaker 2: Was separated from his daughter, kind of from his mother, kind of becomes a curly haired, long haired space pirate right right, right, snatched and pulled into Starfleet Academy. Right, the show tries to do its version of Pike recruiting Kirk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, right right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: This this actor Sandro I. I hope I'm not mispronouncing his name, but I might be a Sandro Roasta the brooding, you know, squinty acting of the pirate part. I was like, I don't know about this guy. And then once he gets in the Starfleet Academy charisma for days and I was hooked.
Speaker 1: It's a funny go ahead, Scott, it's a funny moment, right because he doesn't he doesn't want to put on a uniform, he doesn't want to cut his hair, right, yeah, he just walks through the portal. He doesn't realize it, just it all happenstaneously.
Speaker 2: Right. It's great, Which is that's my new favorite star Trek Tech.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's cool, right, Yeah, I wish I wish I had that. My wife the other day was like, you need a haircut so badly, and like I hate going to get my haircut, and I'm dealing with it. It's like a fifty to fifty chance that they're going to get it right or not. And yeah, like if I could just walk through a portal downstairs, like heck, you know so, but it's a fun moment, right, He's like, oh shit, like you know, but you're right, there's something flips. I think. So what we were saying about how the flashback stuff I didn't think works that well and isn't the best way to start the series off. Once they get to the academy and he yeah, he gets his hair cut coincidentally at that moment, but once he starts to interact with the other cadets, that's when the pilot really started to take off from me, and I really started to enjoy it. And I think that I mean, I've only seen the first two. You've seen the first six. Yeah, right, and we're only talking about the first two here. But like, I really like this cast of kids too, Like I think they're fun, Like I like the interactions.
Speaker 2: The chemistry is great, amazing casting one of the I would say this is one of the best cast shows. It's like it's right up there with DS nine Discovery. Yeah, like some really great personalities.
Speaker 1: Great personalities. Yeah, the Star Treks sometimes gets the casting wrong, Like I think Star Trek Enterprise is an example of a show that ye didn't quite pull it off in a few you know. But these guys right off the bat, I like all of them, you know, And uh, the show doesn't seem to want to take itself too seriously either.
Speaker 2: And and at the same time it does tackle serious relatable topics that these students would deal with. I gotta give the actress who plays Genesis, Ah, who's kind of like the snarky, cool student who maybe is potential love interest for Caleb or maybe they just have Sparkage's sense, you know. She plays Genesis. It's Bella Shepherd. They have a really natural acting talent, Like I can see where this goes, Like I dig this. Yeah, yeah, it's really well. I was just so impressed by all the performances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that actress. So there's a moment in episode two where Caleb is kind of with the we'll talk about episode two in a few minutes, but Caleb is kind of flirting with this other character and there's a little bit of a look in the Genesis's eyes of like she's jealous, I think, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think so yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So well you want to talk about the other cadets real quick.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm a big, huge fan of the actor that plays Sam.
Speaker 1: Yes, carries Brooks, And again we're probably mispronouncing everyone's names.
Speaker 2: No offense to that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we apologize if they're listening.
Speaker 2: But if they are, I apologize.
Speaker 1: What do you mean they're not listening? I thought Paramount Plus made them all listen to. I think Anthon Mount's listening right now.
Speaker 2: I know he's listening.
Speaker 1: So Sam stands for a series acclamation mill I think, m hm. Basically, Sam is a hologram as well. We find out right.
Speaker 2: It's the first hologram to enroll in Starfleet.
Speaker 1: Academy, right, yeah, which is interesting because obviously the doctor Robert Picardo is back, you know, the O G hologram, and he doesn't even notice. He doesn't even Like in the first episode, Sam says something like the Sam's from a planet of holograms or something, right, right, and the doctor doesn't even know about that, Like he's kind of surprised to hear.
Speaker 2: It, right about that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm hoping they dig into that more as we go along in the season. I'm assuming Sam and the doctor will continue to have some kind of a dynamic vie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, but you catch the nod to Voyager when the doc Doc Zimmerman comes in.
Speaker 1: No, well, he definitely says, please state the nature of the medical emergency. That and he also medical tricorder.
Speaker 2: Just like, you know, this is great.
Speaker 1: That's and you know I saw it. I went to the premiere in New York last week, and uh, and so that.
Speaker 2: Was that Scott was the vibe there with the audience like this is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. I mean, you know, it's like all the talent were there in the audience, so it's like the audiences obligated vibe on it a little bit. But like it's a lot of trekkies and fans in attendance. There were people in costume and stuff. Uh and uh, so you know there's a mix of industry people and then real fans. But those lines, like with Robert Piccardo, those were all going over like gangbusters, like people people were digging it. And there's a lot of affection for Voyage. We've talked about this before, right, like, it's not a surprise that they've brought back seven of nine and now the Doctor because a lot of people really like Star Trek Voyager was there Star Trek. They grew up on that in the nineties, right, So, so Phil tell me the same character reads as being on the spectrum to me, did you think that?
Speaker 2: I felt that vibe too, and I really appreciated that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to get your take on it.
Speaker 2: I get to talk to my sibling in law about that. But their behavior, my sibling, my sibling in law is they are autistic functioning and the behaviors I saw on screen were very similar to what I've seen them do. Yeah, And I just like, what how fully formed this actor's take on this character? Feels like I don't I can't believe I'm going to say this, but and my wife couldn't believe it you when I told her. But the way the character came on so confidently, assured and all that it reminded me of you know how in those early episodes of the original Trek, Spock was Spock you know, yeah, yeah, or on Stranging worlds Anson Mount was Pike yeah, and a Whoa was a hooa yeah, you know, even you can't say that about DS nine. You know, Cisco Kirado, especially Odo, they got groove eventually. It took a season. It took two seasons for Odo to.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, you had to get the collar on baby.
Speaker 2: That's a lot everything, but Sam is my favorite. They go to some very interesting places in these first six and uh and I just I love how they're the odd person out and also like everyone has a degree of misfit to them, even a cool popular guy was all about the physical fitness and having something to prove. Yeah, that story plays out and the cleanon who wants to be a doctor.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, he a doctor or a scientist. I'm not sure one or the other.
Speaker 2: Because there's a nod you don't usually hear a Cleon. I'm paraphrasing Holly Hunter's line, but do no harm is not a I know a.
Speaker 1: Cleon would take exactly.
Speaker 2: That made me think. I thought that was brilliant.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: Civilization is on war and blood lust, and you want to be the opposite of that. You want to save lives instead of take well the great idea, great idea, and how that outcast vibe, you know, that war type level to.
Speaker 1: It, you know, yeah, and he I love the scene where he first meets Caleb. They kind of all are sort of a meeting I guess in the hallway and the one guy is making the one guy who's one of our main cast members is making fun of the Klingon because he has his binoculars or whatever. And we find out that he uses the binoculars to for bird watching and his mom taught him about bird watching, and it's just again such a non Klingon type thing. It's just a great moment, and I love the friendship that's formed between him and Caleb in that moment. The Klingon's name, I guess is Jay den Krog played for Karim again Diane. And then the other guy who I just mentioned is uh, I guess it's darun Remy. Is that played by George Hawkins. That's the guy who's like that ship the It's funny, but this show, like, I don't even know what these alien races are. I'm reading here. He's a Keonian cadet and that's the that's the guy who is the shape shifter, right, I think that's who that is who he turns out to be one of he comes when we first meet him, he comes across as the jerk at the academy. He does, but he's part of the group too. Actually he's one of our guys that turns out he helps save the day in the end, right, And I like that. I like that, serve Yeah yeah, So so okay, so we're we're kind of swooning over this show right now. And again, everyone listening, I'm just gonna remind you Phil is a Starfleet Academy fan.
Speaker 2: Which is shock. That's the biggest twist I think of any Star Trek, even when Sessca was revealed to be a Cardashian. Here's the thing, though, I stand by. It makes logic hard to buy that they would send out Harvard University.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree to.
Speaker 2: Have a fleet of starships surrounding their big ass school. And the first time they take the school out, what happens? It gets shot up. These that would be like me and rolling at Florida State for four years and they told my parents, I'm sorry, something happened to your kid. He got sucked out of an ill luck because we picked up the entire campus clean on space.
Speaker 1: During orientation, during for orientation.
Speaker 2: You know, I agree, it doesn't. I agree, but what about the point we're training you. I understood it's thin, they're just the just justification is thin for it.
Speaker 1: I agree, But I was glad to see an episode two they don't go anywhere. They just they're in San Francisco, that the ship does not take off, yes and right, so, and I was glad for that. So I'm hoping that the show. I'm hoping the show finds a balance and that we don't feel the need to go into space every episode, because another thing about Episode one that I didn't love was the space battle stuff, the the you know, like the Star Trek Discovery, Strange New Worlds need to like have this some crazy action scenes, you know, the big chase scene that Caleb has early on in the Shuttle, and then the stuff, you know, the big fight with Giamatti's ship later on, like like it all becomes too cgi Spectacle Abrams style. You know, Kurtsman likes to do that stuff, and it's like and you know what, I get it. You get they're gonna have some of that, and like, you know, I mean, it's fine here or there, but I hope the show is not gonna feel the need to do that every week, and episode two doesn't have any of that. So I was glad. Episode two is like a character story basically, right, like it's yes, So I was glad for that. But I think we do have to talk about Holly Hunter because I'm lukewarm on her performance. Sure, I think she's maybe the week. I don't want to say she's the one who's the problem, but she's she's miscast maybe, I don't know. I'm not sure what it is. What do you think is she It's like she's just not the right person for this role. I don't know if I like what she's doing really with the we see in episode two. She's got this thing about walking around barefoot, right, Like.
Speaker 2: They're making her the cool hip teacher a little different, little quirky, right, got a little bit of Gynan, Yeah vibe in terms of the character right like this they can seemingly live forever, these characters. Yes, And I like that they were living on Bajor, Yeah for a time. I also love the nas to DS nine that this show seems to Yeah, but I the way they sit in the chair hugging it like it's kind of comical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A little bit like like it doesn't look comfortable to me when she she curls up into the chair with her boots.
Speaker 2: Such a nerdy you know, yeah, nitpick, but.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's been done before, by the way, Vash sat in Captain Picard's chair one time and curled up in it. But she took her shoes off, and she looked very comfy in Captain Picard's chair. But when Captain what the fuck is her name? Captain Aki, I guess is that? Does that sound right Hollyhunter's character Captain Aki ak e. Yeah, so we'll get it eventually, by the end of the season, we'll know it. But when yeah, it looks a little awkward when she climbs in, And yeah, I mean to get back to what we were saying earlier too, Like, I think she saddled a little bit with this storyline about having having separated this child with her from her parent from his parent, and she obviously regrets that doing that, and she resents Starfleet for being in a place that made her do that or enabled her to do that, But like, it's still a little bit of a tough pill to swallow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the redemption arc they're sitting up is a little tough. It doesn't quite shake hands.
Speaker 1: But then there's also times where she just I don't know, there's something about just her dialogue reads. It doesn't seem to come quite naturally to her. I don't know. I hate saying it because obviously she's a great actress, and you know, speaking of the premiere, I think they had her sitting next to Kate Mulgrew. Kate Mulgrew was at the point the hell out, yeah, and she I think they were sitting next to each other. When they did that, everyone had to get up and one of the time and we had to applaud for them, you know, it was Holly Hunter and then Kate Mulgrew. It seemed like they were right near each other. But when you think about like Mulgrew, like, you know, she she just and she dove in into doing Voyager at the last minute, but she she never seemed to feel out of place or anything. It's almost like Holly Hunter's more like this the Avery Brooks of Captains, because, like you were saying earlier, some of the Deep Space nine characters took a little while to find them their place, and Avery Brooks was one of them. And I feel like Holly Hunter, at least based on the first two episodes, is still trying to She's trying to find her place a little bit too, I think.
Speaker 2: So such, I can't regrudge anyone jumping into this like that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, we'll see where it goes, right like.
Speaker 2: And you know, Scott like. As we've talked about before, and as some of our listeners have pointed out over the years, Star Trek episode ones are not as strongest suit.
Speaker 1: That is quite true. And that's quite true.
Speaker 2: It's a thing someone someone someone sub stack that I follow. They kicked out their review for it with really a really good line. Star Trekers are franchise that famously tends to fumble the beginnings of great things. It's one of the property's most enduring traits, all the way back to Encounter at for a point in eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's valid. Yeah, click, you could argue. Even even the cage. You could argue because I didn't even get get the go ahead to be air.
Speaker 2: Pilot was so good that they had to redo it right first time in TV history.
Speaker 1: Pilot was Yes. Yeah, so no, that's a fair point. That's why I was so happy to watch and I watched episode two because of you. But you were texting me like you were basically like live texting me. You're right, I know.
Speaker 2: I that's my tism. I apologize for that.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine. They got me. No, No, it didn't bother me. It got me excited to go back and want to keep watching. And that's why I was. I was so happy that the second episode I enjoyed a lot, and I think I think you did as well. So you want to talk about that one a little bit.
Speaker 2: The Beta test, Yeah, I preferred that one was a little smoother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the opening Kids These Days, great title. By the way, it's the flashbacks are a little clunky. Yeah, as we talked about. But Beta test, I I was hoping for, like you know that there's that ceremony or not not Ceramon, there's that tradition of getting the crew together stuff. Yeah, it was a little dull, minus the charisma of the actors. Beta test getting them all into their groove and Beta test has am I am? I right with this one, Scott. Do we see people climbing gym ropes or things like that in Beta test?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's Jim ropes as much as like just like going through the paces of day to day academy physical fitness.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, okay, that was all right, that was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and science class as well. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I wanted their hoodies.
Speaker 1: There's some cool Yeah, there's some cool looks. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: What was your vibe with it? How do you? How do you like it? Well?
Speaker 1: I liked it. I mean I like the So they bring this and again, so this is another one of our main characters. I guess this this this Beta's Beta zoid girl. Who oh, I guess it's Tarima played by Zoe Steiner. Again if if we're pronouncing correctly, I don't know. I liked her and I liked her her dynamic with Caleb. I thought it was it was cool. They have a night, they have a fun meet cute outside where he's trying to make a run for it, and I I think, is her does she has one of the same titles as Loxana Troy, like hold her of the fifth Chalice of Beta zed or some shit. I feel like she mentions it's one point that she has she has some betas betazoid like royalty title, and I thought it might have been yeah, so, but I like them too. But I like that the two of them together, I thought that very much.
Speaker 2: So yeah, chemistry, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you know they managed to it's a little bit of a story B story, which is which is always nice to see in Star Trek, and so they've got the I guess. The A story is, well, it's a story B story, C story, I guess because it's sort of Caleb having to still try to figure out how he can fit in and get along with Holly Hunter. And then it's B story his like newly developed relationship with the Betazoid girl. And then c story is like this, these like negotiations with with the p and it Betazoid representatives who I guess have corded themselves off from the rest of the galaxy since the burn, and they're trying to get them to join the Federation again. So all three of those storylines, I thought like worked well in concert with one another, right. I was a little confused at first, but was like her dad, who's like I guess, I guess he's the leader of Betazoid Beta's ed but he's deaf, I guess, is the idea And I thought so, Yeah, But at first, I was like, oh, wait, are they all did they not speak anymore?
Speaker 2: I was. I was a little confused by that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I think I guess what it turns out is just that that particular character is deaf, which you know, there it's it's modern era Kurtzman star Trek. They're always being representative of different groups, which you know, good, good for them. But I was just a little confused by it at first. But but you know, I thought it was cool. That's the other thing about this. You tell me what you think. But like it seems as though the show is maybe gonna deal with a lot of the loose ends that Discovery didn't bother to deal with, like about the burn and stuff. Yeah, but like there was always this big question, all right, so what So Michael Burnham and the Discovery got to the future, they find out the burn had happened one hundred years ago. By the end of the season, they cured, they solved the mystery of the burn, and the Federation was going to like start to reorganize itself. But then it kind of like they kind of dropped it. You didn't really hear much about the details of that, and here it's like this episode already it's like, oh, like okay, they're trying to rebuild the Federation. Where are the headquarters of the Federation going to be? And questions like that. Like I just felt in the back building some backstory too, like oh, beta'z ed cording themselves off from everyone else to protect themselves. Like that's an interesting thread that I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to delve into that, because it turns out by the end of this episode that the betazoid girl and her brother are now also going to be based at the Academy, but they basically have Makos as well, or what they call it the War College or something they.
Speaker 2: The War College.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so she's in the War College and her brother is now the one of Caleb's roommates. There's a lot of also in the spirit of ducas not deep say signed, there's a lot of like B and C level characters being introduced to. Right, you have your main cast, and then you've got all these other characters who are kind of floating around, which I like, like, you know, I like that brother was funny. At the end of this episode. I also wanted to mention Phil but we didn't. We didn't talk about it in the previous episode. But and I don't know the character or the actress's name, I'm sorry, but Holly Hunter's first officer, her number one, who's half Klingon, half gem Hadar, she's I thought she was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: A lot of great drill sergeanty moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like and kind of like with a wink in our in our eye, like she knows, like she's taking the piss out of the kids a little bit and having and enjoying it, you know. So and then also tig Nataro shows up in this episode, yeah, which you know, I never loved her character all that much, but you know, she's funny.
Speaker 2: Live here is great. Yeah, even Colbert being But is he like the voice of the AI of the school.
Speaker 1: He's the voice of something? Yeah, I guess so. But then there's also the voice of I think the ship is Britt Marling. Yes, right, yeah, so I guess you're right. I guess he's the one because in the episode two you hear his voice a lot, don't you. Like he's announcing like it's the end, now it's time for lights out? Is at ten o'clock or something like he's he's offering a commentary in the background throughout the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he says angry at one point, which I was really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's that's the thing, like the good old days of like Star Trek characters and actors speaking like in not in like modern colloquialisms. That's just that's over, right, Like yeah, once Discovery started, they just they even had Captain McCart say, fuck, yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw someone online. Uh mentioned at one point in the show, Stephen Colbert says the word says makes a joke about morning wood.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I don't know if I caught that.
Speaker 2: I didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: Okay, it could be a few it could be a future episode.
Speaker 2: Maybe they like something leak then.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, so but yeah, and you know, so like there the show is doing. So Discovery's mistake, I think eventually was mystery box storytelling, right, which was, let's get to we were doing ten or twelve episodes and we have this big mystery that we have to solve. This show has a little bit of that, but it's not only that. So the big mystery of the season obviously is what happened to Caleb's mom, right, But from there then we're I think, like this was this was sort of a standalone episode in the way, right the mystery is part of it. But like, this episode obviously has a big mystery, which is Taddyana Maslani, right or what happened to her? But like, it's not solely fixed based on the first two episodes. It's not solely fixated on that, right, so I think, And from what little I know, from what you've told me about what's to come, like we're gonna get like standalone stories, which I'm sure is still gonna We're still gonna have that main thread throughout the season, but we're doing other stuff too, right, So Okay, so I don't know what what else? What are we missing about these first two that's worth commenting on.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: This, Uh, the set design is set is interesting.
Speaker 2: It's the most expensive set, but I I wish the Starship interior, the school Starship interior had a little less plastic. Y we'll fill in.
Speaker 1: With yeah, yeah, I see what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a massive set. I'm very impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still annoyed by the the big display of all the all the names of only characters we've heard of, like that that you know in the Academy and Academy Matrium. It's like, yeah, let's put everyone who was ever a character on this board.
Speaker 2: I like that that Sulu's daughters on there though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tomara, Yeah, yeah, that's cool. I guess everyone from Wesley Crusher to Harry Kim is on that board.
Speaker 2: Finally can get some recognition. Imagine teaching that lesson in class. You're telling me this guy was an ensign for Hella.
Speaker 1: But I look forward to continuing to watch. I don't know, Phil, like if you feel like you want to keep talking about it on the podcast or not, Like, I guess we can see what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, what do you guys think? Do you guys want to hear? Do you guys want we the updates?
Speaker 1: Or what?
Speaker 2: Ye? What you think of the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let us know, but I will certainly be continuing to watch at the very least.
Speaker 2: Scott also sorry that the top of episode two. Yeah do you remember how that opens? You remember who we see?
Speaker 1: No? I just watched it last night.
Speaker 2: Our buddy from Star Trek Prodigy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, rock or rock or what rock? Tuck right, But it can't be the same person, can it. I guess I guess who. I guess who knows how long those those species lives? Right? Yeah? That was cool? Yeah, actually cool and at the same time sort of a slap in the face to Star Trek Prodigy fans, because this is the show that not only was canceled, but was forced off of the paramount streaming service onto Netflix, and then they're using one of its most recognizable characters here.
Speaker 2: I thought that too, you know, so like a little little nudge to this show that we killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little little kick in the balls because we're going.
Speaker 2: Out in the business of making good television for all ages, including young children.
Speaker 1: Uh. You know. The funny thing is, I'm I'm assuming that that. I mean, we're being unfair, right, because I'm assuming Kurtzman was Kurtzman's whole mission has been about trying to bring Star Trek to younger viewers. So I can't imagine that he wanted Prodigy off the air, you know, like I think it was a Paramount plus or whatever. The studio, you know, it was a money thing, right, So I would say so, yeah, I think so. But there's a lot of little things there, and there's a lot of little bits like that. But there's also that the Exo comp flying around in episode two.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love that touch too.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and I think I saw someone speculating that it could potentially be the Exo comp from lower decks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the color scheme on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. So what does this mean then?
Speaker 2: How does animated stuff interact in this live action world?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we've seen it before because uh yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that they passed through the same contraptions or narrative devices.
Speaker 1: That right, right, right right, that pack that Pike went through. Yeah, yeah, good questions. Yeah, there's there's a lot of That's the thing I've only watched. Uh well, I watched episode one twice and i'ven't only watched episode two once. But like there's a lot of things in the fringes of the shot by our Easter Egg, Like in Captain Aki's quarters, I noticed there's a bunch of ship models. I think I saw the Voyager in there. So like someone's gotta do. I'm sure trek Core you guys are going to be doing frame by frame analyzes of a lot of the stuff. Yeah, I will too, So maybe we'll talk about that stuff on the next episode. But also last thing before we go to the reprimat then the sixth. It is the sixtieth anniversary of Star Trek right now, twenty twenty six. But the opening.
Speaker 2: Oh crap, I meant to talk about this.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Yeah, yeah, what do you call that? The opening opening stinger? I don't know what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pre am but like the little pre logo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Star Trek pre logo, which usually has been like the ship for whatever show you're watching, is how they've done it in recent years. This is like it's like like Kirk's Enterprise, the Cards, Enterprise, Defiant Voyager, Facula's Enterprise, Discovery, Pike's Enterprise, and then I think the Athena, which is the ship on this show. And you know, it's a cool sequence, but I was thinking, huh, they skipped a couple where's the Where's the Prodigy, where's the Cerritos? And where where is Picard? The various ships Piccard was on, mainly the Enterprise whatever it is the Enterprise.
Speaker 2: G He's not in there. I thought the d was in there.
Speaker 1: No, I mean from Star Trek. Picard. Oh yeah, I guess it's covered by the d which was what he wound up on at the end of season three, But that's not really that shows that shows that ship is really well is it the Enterprise? G I can't remember now lost track. So I just was like thinking, we know how Alex Kirchman really felt about Star Trek Picard. Is it a coincidence that that's the one ship that's not the one live action ship that didn't make the cut? You know?
Speaker 2: So it was cool seeing the a yeah, and the Defiant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was yeah, yeah, no, it's great. It's cool.
Speaker 2: So I like the chronology that it followed, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, that was interesting. Yeah, yeah, so yeah. I mean there's the sixtieth anniversary, so I'm sure we'll be talking more about that as the year progressive. But for now, why don't we head over to the Replmat.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to the Replmat to get something to eat. Phil, Is this going to be a double This is going to be a double replemat where a double repeat replemat because you and I have the same replemat pic and it's the same pick that I had last time last episode. Yeah, so I think that's the first Yeah, and it's our show, so we can do it if we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's right.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: It's twenty eight years later The Bone Temple. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: So again a good time spoilers. I guess we're just talk spoilers. The movies out tonight, right, So, but yeah, Like I had seen it last month and I loved it, and then I was so happy to hear that you felt the same way.
Speaker 2: It's one of those movies where you're presented with a threat and a battie who behaves in ways that you cannot wait for their comeuppance to happen. Yes, and when it happens, I'm going like, I'm just just pumping. And no one in the theater with me at this advanced screening is having any reaction? Am I the only one?
Speaker 1: I'm surprised too, because it was like a fan screening, right yeah, yeah, yeah, usually the fans get pretty ampt for that stuff.
Speaker 2: Not here. What was it like for you when you saw it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean people, it was a month ago, so I'm trying to remember now, but I think people were into it, Like, I think people were into it, and because that was also fan screening, but I don't remember the specifics either, but I mean, but he certainly does it, Sir Lord Jimmy Crystal, we're talking about right.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jack McConnell's broke my float.
Speaker 1: He's so good, so good, and he does get his come up and does he is he dead?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think they would have given us a satisfying kill. That's what that character deserved. And I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he might be back, right, he can come back asn't infected even right, Yeah. So, but I mean, I dug.
Speaker 2: It, man, I dug it. It has some timely stuff in it. I think it's needed to Costa's best film so far, best studio film. At least.
Speaker 1: Ray finds is so Ray finds.
Speaker 2: He's fantastic.
Speaker 1: He has this. I mean, just once he was dancing to Duran Duran, I was like, oh, I was in yeah, oh my god. And then that the fact that it culminates the big climactic scene is him dancing. I guess it's dancing to Iron Maiden where he's pretending to be the Devil was nuts.
Speaker 2: It's like you're with the movie or you're out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's just like it didn't turn into like your expected big showdown type thing. Right, I'm surprised all that music didn't draw in all the the rage heads.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. Yeah, yeah, that's a good point. Maybe well maybe it did though, because eventually by the end we do see have an indication that at least one or two of them were entering the zone. Right, But like, but yeah, you're right, it's funny. It's a it's a fun twenty eight excuse me, a fun twenty eight days movie, which isn't really a word that would has been used for past installments of the series. Right. This is like the third movie or the fourth movie in the series. Right, And of course it's there's horrifying scenes and there's go very very gory stuff in the movie, but it's also like it's kind of a good time at the movies. Also, it is you know, and I like the way it can to you know, connected to what what came before. Also and agreed, did you uh, what do you think of like the final the final five minutes, which is like the scene I guess the scene everyone's been waiting for. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, this is interesting. I like how they set it up. I I would not be teaching history at this point. Uh. And then my curate by question was, is the mother Naomi Harris's character?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it has to be, right, Yeah. Is that the same house he was in at the end of the first movie?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I have, I don't recall if it is good for him that he survived that long there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right, Yeah, when you look at the like the timeline of the series, they were rescued at the end of the first movie, it seemed, and then the second movie tells us the second movie, which is kind of disconnected from everything else, but it tells us I believe that, like they had contained everything for a while, but then the ship goes bad again. So Jim, the Jim character should have been he should have been able to return to civilization at least temporarily. So yeah, I don't know, we'll we'll see. But but the third movie obviously is going to be all about him. But I like how Spike the Kid is still part of it. Aaron ll what's her name, Aaron Kellyman? Is that her name? Yeah? I believe so, yeah, that she's also going to be part of it. So yeah, yeah, all right, cool. So I guess that'll do it for us. But again, as Phil said, let us know. Do you guys want us to keep talking about Starfleet Academy Because I think we will if you guys want us to. So hit us up on all the usual channels transport room, through the Gmail dot com, Facebook, talk to us on I guess, on Twitter or blue Sky if you want, and of course also check us out over on discord uh and on Patreon. So Phil, thanks for geeking out. I can't believe this magical transfer information that has occurred, but you are.
Speaker 2: You are now the new me.
Speaker 1: Phil is the world's biggest Starfleet Academy fan.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm as shocked as you are. You can send flowers to my wife, all right, gang, thank you for listening. Until next time, We'll see you all on Corved Island