Speaker 1: Your tooth has been bothering you, so you went and got some fake They.
Speaker 2: Had some fake jealous She came.
Speaker 3: Back into the room like she had just had oral surgery, Like she's loopy in the head, Like.
Speaker 4: My mouth is dumb.
Speaker 5: Now I don't know, I don't know what I'm doing. Just realize I cannot be held a catle over my actions topographical.
Speaker 3: Then we got o ointments growds to no longer hold me responsible as an adult.
Speaker 2: It feels so much better.
Speaker 1: I am surprised they don't have just a little, you know, needlefull heroin in there for you.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna try heroin now.
Speaker 6: A couple of big stories that we are following.
Speaker 1: Uh, it looks like President Trump is going to sign the Lake and Riley Act here. This will be the first legislation to get a signature since he went back into the White House.
Speaker 6: Named in the memory of Lake and Ryley.
Speaker 1: This nursing student killed by an illegal alien in Georgia would allow the detention of undocumented immigrants accused of theft related crimes. He had apparently been released many times on those theft related crimes before being accused of murder. Fed Reserve kept their interest rates level. Investors widely expected that the decision to maintain the current level does pause a series of three consecutive interest rate cuts imposed by the Fed over the final months of last year. And the National Weather Services it is cold and getting colder. We could see temperatures into the mid twenties in some parts of La County tonight into tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: Did we ever play the thing?
Speaker 4: This is by far my favorite day to be here.
Speaker 1: I just why why you're low grade high?
Speaker 2: I don't think it makes you high. You guys, it's Origella.
Speaker 3: At nineteen year old on a zema right now, like, it's very strange to see you.
Speaker 4: I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Institution.
Speaker 6: Here's here's the other thing.
Speaker 1: Justin she has this has been dry January, probably the most chemically intoxicated.
Speaker 3: She's what's true?
Speaker 4: I am sorry.
Speaker 3: I did not know that was that was that was just below my Dave week the backle of the previous It's okay, it's all right.
Speaker 2: I'm basically dying of a toothpaint.
Speaker 1: No, and I'm sorry of Justin Warshon was joined as we talk about parenting stuff.
Speaker 6: Uh and you still parent?
Speaker 4: Yep? So far.
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 7: I sorry, sorry interrupting, interrupting party of one. I was reading People magazine last night and it came across an article about a documentary on HBO. An Update on our Family is the name of the documentary, and it opened me up to this whole world I did not know existed, and I'm terrified of it. And it is people who have kids and go on YouTube and chronicle their entire lives with their kids. Husbands are in on it, wives, kids, They document everything from sun up to sundown, and they make money off of it, sponsorships and stuff. And the whole thing is that, like some people have babies just to get more followers, because when baby news happens, there's a an obvious bump in followership. And the more followers you have, the more lucrative endorsements you have, and all of that.
Speaker 2: It's terrifying how prevalent it is.
Speaker 3: I every time you hear about this, where you know, like, I've yet to see a successful family have a reality show, and that's a point like come out and be like everything was great, like we maintained just and you start to wonder, like, is a lot of the drama produced because they need to make it interesting or does it become this thing where your job has now become interesting so you have to manifest drama in your life where normally there might not be any. Or is it a genuine reflection that just most family struggle, like most people are just struggling to have what we would like to be a regular normal life. I don't know, but this seems like just a horrible reason to have a family. And I just like when my my son, who wanted he wants to be an actor, he came to be when it's eight and I just flat out told him no, I'm like because, and he's like why, and I gocuse. Statistically, it doesn't break well for you because dads are built to squash dreams. Exactly, Thank you, Gary. I thought I was doing my job to make him creative. Right, he has to have an abusive father so he can lash out and write negative characters his fathers and movies. Yeah, all he want to do is work. He just wanted to work. I hate every family movie ever made where the dad is like, I'm just trying to pay for you in this three thousand square foot house. But I'm the animal, I'm the villain. Oh, we're only happy when dad's not working.
Speaker 6: Welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, evidently I'm coming in hot and I apologize.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for dat.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean right, how why would you have like you don't. You don't make a person for content. That's not a reason to have it.
Speaker 7: That's exactly what they take of it is is that you're making things for content. You're using your family for content. And it's disgusting.
Speaker 3: And the volume of time that your kids like you just hear so many interviews of people who grow up in entertainment, and now they have to learn about dealing with the idea that all of their mistakes are publicized whereas ours aren't. Right, Like, we get to screw up and nobody really knows. But if somebody who's famous screws up or they have a million followers on YouTube.
Speaker 6: It's hard to hide from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I still like there was a couple I saw documentary. I think it was a documentary on like I think it was maybe you porn or something or porn Hub.
Speaker 1: It is like some kind of there was a this where you watch your documentaries. Yeah, why is that not? It's a great there's a lot of them. Got I haven't even scratched the surface, it seems. But really short anyway.
Speaker 3: About this, Yes, it was about like the development of the porn hub site. And I think there was like there or something. There was a family that was there. Oh it was Ashley Madison. I'm sorry all of the greats that I'm going through, but there was a family that they were.
Speaker 4: Like a good Christian couple.
Speaker 3: And then it came out that this that the husband who was on this YouTube channel, that they were a good Christian couple, he was having multiple affairs through Ashley Madison, and then he had to kind of deal with that publicly because people started finding out when there was a data leak about who was on Ashley Madison and his name came up. So like, I just and it's rough, right, Like how like I just don't know of anybody who comes out of that okay where the family seems good. But how many of your friends have families that you would say like they're doing great, like maybe or maybe not even great, but just good.
Speaker 1: Well, I you know, there I can think of a few, a handful probably that probably overshare about stuff, but they only overshare the most positive stuff. And you know it can't be all positive. It just can't. There's just no way.
Speaker 3: Well, and I'm even saying, like in your circle of friends, all of our circle of friends, I would say probably my perception is that at least seventy percent of my friends have a really good family life, Like things are good?
Speaker 4: Right? Is that? Do you think that I'm wrong about that?
Speaker 6: Well? What's your definition of good?
Speaker 4: I mean, not like.
Speaker 3: Your marriage is on the rocks. Yeah, not the marriages on the rocks. The kids are being neglected or or like out of line.
Speaker 1: It may not be easy, but it's good. Yes, Okay, Yeah, I don't know about seventy percent. But I mean because I think I think people would be They're less likely to share with you the information that would make I think that it is not so good.
Speaker 3: And that's because I've made this joke recently. I was hanging out with people, and I'm not good at that. Like I say everything like I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I say the things I mess up, I say the things that I succeed at.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: People tell me all the time, like that's probably something you shouldn't be telling you.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you come in here and do it.
Speaker 1: Everyone, let's talk about emotional Well, which one do you want?
Speaker 6: You want a hardest age or let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about emotional emotional.
Speaker 3: Regulation the emotional So what they found is that the common factor or the best way or the parent who has the most impact on a kid who can regulate their emotions is a father. Because fathers are prone to, like they use the example of rough house, like rough housing while while you're wrestling with your kid and you have a smile on their face and they feel like they're doing stuff that's rough, but they never get hurt, right that that teaches them to kind of deal with a little bit of anxiety. And dads are also prone to like push their kids to more risky situations.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: As an example, my kids used to jump on our bed and we would do a pillow fight. Yeah, many many days, many many days out of the week. And the rule was the first person who cries the first cry, Yeah, game's over, games over all, shuts down and kick out of those kids to start out fun and funny and like you know, push them over and get old. Yeah that in that vein and not eighteen no, no, we tried that once. I did not worry, you cried, but I there was a time when I would ramp up, you know, you'd get it, and then there was like this is going to go on forever unless one of these guys cry. So I just rare back and what.
Speaker 2: Am throw a kid against a wall?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: I never did that.
Speaker 1: I would just knock him off the bed because that at least the floors carpeted.
Speaker 6: You would purpose.
Speaker 2: What I'm hearing is you would purposefully make your children cry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what a father does, Shannon, Hello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm regulating their emotions interesting else, teaching them to.
Speaker 3: Deal with the negative experience, which that's to me is I really can resonate with that, Like I really think that that's what dads do.
Speaker 4: Is that this whole.
Speaker 7: I left all the corporal punishment up to my brother.
Speaker 6: I think, oh what they outsourced it.
Speaker 7: In terms of being thrown against a wall and things like that pillow fight, stuff like that.
Speaker 6: He would do that to you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but your dad wasn't a guy who would wrestle or do any now, but would he make you do like kind of scary things like I don't know, go out on a fishing boat.
Speaker 2: Or something something that makes you go wouldn't know what to do with a fishing boat.
Speaker 7: Okay, did you not really?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: That was my brother too.
Speaker 4: What did you What kind of stuff did you do with your watch?
Speaker 7: Mafia movies, football games, go to the Wiener Schnitzel, I.
Speaker 3: Still think, I mean, honestly, I think Sitzel and Mafia movies definitely count as we're taking risks right, yes, Like it's a scary movie, probably a little bit beyond your years, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That makes you feel a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: What about in your house?
Speaker 7: Who's the emotional who drives the emotional train?
Speaker 4: How dare you don't I'm not going to step on that landmark.
Speaker 7: I was just curious if it's the woman in any of these situations, it definitely is.
Speaker 3: I'm probably I would say my wife is closer to the Gary unemotional spectrum than she is to uh.
Speaker 4: Your city, my definite, like easily. But I'm also the guy.
Speaker 3: Like we just had this, we went through this with I was starting to tell Gary off the air. My thirteen year old came and said, I want to get a job, and my wife's first reaction was you're too young to have a job, And I said, no, I give it a shot. And then I talked to her in private. I said, let's not tell him that he's too young, like, let him go try to figure out. He found a local place that was within walking distance of our house and he wanted to go there to do the thing where you say, hey, I want to get a job. And she's like, well, go drive him, and I'm like, no, he can walk, he's got a phone. It's initiative, yes, yes, and so I want to keep that to me, is like kind of what they're talking about a.
Speaker 4: Baby praise on myself. I'm crushing it like these dads in this study.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's true, that's good. I mean, I think initiatives should be rewarded. Especially we're talking yesterday about kids coming out of college and they're getting fired because they don't show initiative.
Speaker 3: Right, they don't know what to do. And that's and again, all of this was uncoached. It just came out of nowhere. The only coaching I get him was like here, like I kind of role played the scenario.
Speaker 4: He would say, well, what are they going to ask? Or what should I ask?
Speaker 3: And I talked him through it, and he wanted to go through every possible scenario and I just told him. I said, listen, there's so many variables, it's not worth planning.
Speaker 4: To this level.
Speaker 2: You should drop them off at Chris Little's house.
Speaker 4: Oh he'll, he'll really run him through the ring.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the interview, he would. He was kind of known for asking bizarre questions like, you say you were dropped in at the bottom of a blender, how would you get out?
Speaker 6: How do you get out?
Speaker 2: How do you get out?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man, I didn't even make it to the interview. When I applied.
Speaker 3: Past the writing exam, I will, I'm going to I'm going to come up with some fun scenarios.
Speaker 2: That's a writing exam, not when I.
Speaker 4: Submitted to be.
Speaker 3: When I was working here, I tried to be an anchor at one point on the weekend or overnight.
Speaker 2: I failed him exam at Fox News in New York.
Speaker 4: I have that in common then, only mine was name.
Speaker 2: All the justices.
Speaker 6: On the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like twenty two.
Speaker 6: I do like that.
Speaker 2: It's business.
Speaker 1: Male parents tend to be more supportive of their kids taking risks. But I think there's at least a percentage of that, which is I don't care what you do for a dad, Like well.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna start to see the difference between diesel and gasoline, like, which warns Hotter, you'd be like, okay, learned age, you're gonna learn something.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you're gonna learn the difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: I've always been wired.
Speaker 3: As emotional as I am about my kids, I have always been wired to let them fail because I, like I told my son, I go, either you're going to get a job or you're gonna learn from this experience. I go, don't try to overplan and over calculate the whole thing. I said, just go and try it. You've never done this before, so it's unreasonable to expect yourself to be good at it.
Speaker 4: Plan that. You're just gonna go in there and either do it or you're gonna learn something. And that's all you got to do. And he got the job, so it all worked out for him, And I was wrong. I definitely thought he was not going to get a job.
Speaker 1: You're like, dang, I missed that opportunity.
Speaker 7: Just to do my due diligence. You do live in the valley. This is not adult related, is it?
Speaker 4: No? I don't think so.
Speaker 6: At the age of thirteen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jesus, you can operate the boom or something.
Speaker 2: The boom like the microphone, Oh.
Speaker 4: The microphone like okay, yeah, I see on.
Speaker 2: Like a pretty sure you know where he's working.
Speaker 3: I do know what he's working. I mean, could they be playing like Piegal out of the back for money?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, you need the address I've.
Speaker 4: You're on the air.
Speaker 6: Did I just randomly picked illegal?
Speaker 4: Look how it activated her?
Speaker 3: Like the Ora Joe wore off and it's when you mentioned gambling she came alive.
Speaker 1: Adrenaline does amazing things. Justin thank you as always.
Speaker 2: The Orange War Off.
Speaker 6: You miss any part of our show, you can always listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Go to KFI forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon anywhere you find your podcast.
Speaker 6: Just type in Gary and sh