Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome back to coming out.
Speaker 2: But it has been a minute.
Speaker 1: Happy August. I assume no matter where in the world you live, you are sweating profusely.
Speaker 2: Queer Root.
Speaker 1: Shout out today is thematic because this movie has recently been added to Netflix. Was all over queer Twitter when it finally happened. Shout out to you if your queer root is either of the two girls as featured in the film The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love. This movie was from nineteen ninety five in a true indie movie, back when indie movies were like legit indie it stars Okay, So the two girls are Nicole Ari Parker, who went on I think soul food was the big thing that she did. And then the other girl is named Laurel Holloman. Perhaps you are familiar with her work on the Elbor and the L Word Generation Cure. Yes, Tina, this was She's a very They're both very young in this movie. This is super formative movie for a lot of people. Is it an amazing movie? I wouldn't go that far, but it is a very important movie to queer culture, one of the first ninety five and now you can watch it on Netflix, which is very cool.
Speaker 2: Shout out to you if you.
Speaker 1: Are around my age and this movie was perhaps formative for you, y'all. My guest today is an artist known as Boy Junior.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to have you here.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Hello, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna okay.
Speaker 1: So basically, I don't even want to try to describe your genre, because I am sure there are words that are much hipper and cooler then I will come up. So I'll leave that to you. But what I will say is that you have an album that is going to be coming out. The probable date is October twenty third. The album title is phenomenal. It is called I Love Getting Dumped and there are some singles out from it already that you can listen to. Check out these titles. The titles are I Hope you feel terrible, bullying myself and by the time this episode is released, Still be Friends will likely be out too, So I think we're sensing a theme for this album. The definitely this is right up my alley. This is the kind of music that I am. Yeah, this is what I use music for personally. Is this kind of versis yeah, and I love, I love I've heard bullying myself, and I hope you feel terrible and love both of those.
Speaker 2: But yeah, do you want to We'll get to.
Speaker 1: How you identify in a moment, but musically, do you want to share, like what you feel your how you would describe your genre or this particular album, or what words you like to use to describe your work.
Speaker 3: Well, I honestly like to make it a bit of a running joke that I don't know how to describe it. And the joke is not a joke because it's true, because it's one always very hard to describe your own music to somebody who's never heard it and probably has very different frames of reference to different genres than than yourself. But also because I feel like I fuse a lot of influences into what I'm making. So although it just falls under the category of like indie alternative and like pop.
Speaker 1: And balk, yeah, it's very danceable too, though I feel like.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, what did I recently call it? Like high energy, weirdo sound design pop?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's I would go with that one. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: It's hard to put into like one or two words, but five descript I think is at least at least makes me feel like I'm starting to represent myself in words decently.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: And is this album in particular?
Speaker 2: I love getting dumped?
Speaker 1: Did this come out of one particular dumping? A series of dumpings that hit a reservoir point where you were, like, I got to write a now album, like what's the backs?
Speaker 3: It was a series? So the concept is it all? It's all music from between like twenty twenty and twenty twenty four that I wrote about different relationships and like after different relationships and situationships, and yeah, it was kind of like a reservoir. I just realized I had a lot of music about different kinds of breakups that are all like stylistically different and different in my abilities and tastes as a writer and producer. So I wanted to just kind of like get that era out there and over with and behind me.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, cure album album?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh god, I love that. I do.
Speaker 1: On Spotify, I have something I think it's what did I call it? It might just be called like, oh no, it's called breaking up is hard to do. That's in what I titled it.
Speaker 2: But it is my.
Speaker 1: Epic breakup playlist. Yeah, I think it's like three and a half hours at this point. Like every once in a while I'll add something to it. But yeah, it's stemmed from one particular shitty breakup and then just became representative of all breakups of years past, and it's just like getting longer and longer and longer. So I'm very excited about the theme and title of this album.
Speaker 3: Yes, very excited to continue your playlist.
Speaker 1: That's so true. I'll be able to scatter you throughout it. Oh yeah, once the album drops. So yeah, so I teased it a little bit, but yeah, for the folks at home, how do you identify in terms of yeah, any in all words.
Speaker 3: That you like, Yeah, I am non binary. I'm a non binary unknowable entity. Ooh who lives in your walls?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I was like, come on, I'm out with that is a very that's that's a first like I've been doing. You know, I'm at almost three hundred episodes, but that is a completely unique identifier.
Speaker 2: So I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank God. I'm very I'm very serious about I'm very serious about trying to become a category we don't yet have, become a thing in a category we don't yet have, Hence the high energy weirdo sound design pomp.
Speaker 1: I love it, God damn. Yeah, No, is definitely I love all of your descriptors are artistic.
Speaker 3: I guess that's always that's kind of just what it comes down to. No, but I guess I all in seriousness, I am non binary slash, I guess gender queer and just queer in general.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I know nothing about your personal story. I've been I always try not to, like before I do these episodes, I'll read like a little bit of I'll listen to music, I'll read like artistic backgrounds.
Speaker 2: But I'm very I try very hard to avoid.
Speaker 1: Any like spoilers in terms of people's lives so that I can be hearing it fresh. So yeah, I'm so curious to hear your whole your coming out what you consider your coming out story. Yeah, it sounds like there are probably several coming out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, that's that's kind of more accurate.
Speaker 2: I definitely for sure.
Speaker 3: I I feel like I have never really like come out formally, like I feel like for my generation, for any of our generations who grew up alongside the Internet becoming a big, big constant in our lives. I think for anybody of these generations, coming out often equates to making an update on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter, and I never I never did that. The only thing like I feel like, in terms of like a public coming out, I put out a song last year that's like about gender and about feeling like I, you know, I'm neither here nor there, and I'm just like an artistic expression and for at to share the song, I had made some posts that were like, I've never really come out before, but this song is kind of the closest thing to it, So I guess here I'm coming out. But it's definitely felt like the kind of thing that it's like you either know already or you don't and you don't need Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's and so speaking of that, you're did you blow up on TikTok first or you just like, what what was your route for in terms of your following, because you have like a dedicated following.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you. I'm always very scared that that it's not real and if the apps decide they don't want to show my stuff anymore, it'll all go away.
Speaker 1: Oh god, we're all yeah, trying to figure the algorithms change hourly. So I think that, like I think just once you have people who like your work, they will seek you out, regardless of how the.
Speaker 2: Really tries to like bear it.
Speaker 3: I really really hope. So yeah, for the sake of everybody in the arts, I really exactly what you just said. Yeah, I think the first experiences I had with videos kind of like breaching containment. No, breaching containment is when is when it goes beyond being seen by the intended audience. I would say it's just the first time that I had stuff that like reached more people than I was used to. And when I've had stuff that's gone viral, the first experiences have been on TikTok in like twenty nineteen. Yeah, So that's funny.
Speaker 2: Really for that platform. That's like, yeah, yeah, it was back.
Speaker 3: It was back when you could like really put yourself out there as an artist. I'm like, yeah, really it was, it was back when things were simpler.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm wondering.
Speaker 1: It's like, did you find when you did sort of breach containment, which I love because it sounds very like zombie movie, but like, were you like, oh, this is like it's mostly like queer people and I feel safe and good about them finding it, or were you You're like, oh, oh, like this could be anybody, Like how is the reaction gonna be?
Speaker 2: Just like is that yeah? As an artist? Is that yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, yes and no. And I actually think that question kind of touches on like another interesting like thing that's been running on the side, which is that I feel like I had multiple coming outs because I like started like being more of myself and like I feel like I had like multiple like gender crises, where like I had like the first one where I was like, oh, okay, I understand who I am and this is the what I'm gonna roll with. And then stuff changed, not even like I don't know, life circumstances changed and I was going through a transition of being in school to not being in school anymore, and I just like put it on the back burner and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was kind of trying to I was trying to figure out where I stood with with gender and what kind of pronouns I wanted to use. And I was very interested in top surgery and starting tea and I was, but I was like, Nope, not the time yet. I just not yet. And then I feel like I went in the opposite direction and I was like, oh, I'm out in the real world. And I think I just had a lot of fear about figuring out what I was just how I was going to like make it and what I was going to do, and I think I felt at that time a lot of that hinged on being as desirable as possible to as large a pool of people as possible. So I went like, really, femme again, yeah, and not that really wasn't enjoying myself then too, Like I think I'm like anybody. I'm a multifaceted person and personally I have like a million different senses of style, and there's just such a.
Speaker 1: Difference I feel like to having that be like organ like that fluidity be organic, versus thinking like, well, when am I releasing this, and like what kind of like when you when you're trying to break through as an artist, you have to think about that shit.
Speaker 2: And it's like it's so hard.
Speaker 1: To think about gender and presentation just as a normal person who's not visually on display, but as an artist it's like, fuck, now I gotta like do this kind of publicly. Yeah, it makes you long for the days of radio. I'm like, no one knew what anyone looks well, just like whatever.
Speaker 2: I like, how this sounds like so different now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely just put gender on the back burner. Yeah, And that's been an interesting thing the way that's correlated to my increasingly online experience because once I was like, you know, okay, I'm gonna make my whole thing, like I'm going to play live shows and try to go on tour, and I hadn't really figured out, you know, content yet. I was very active on social media, but it was before reels existed, and it was before TikTok was as popular. So I was doing a lot of live shows locally and then trying to play out of town sometimes, and just the vibe I was going for was very different. It was like when I first started doing shows before that and I was like, Okay, I have to pick an artist name and I wanted to be Boyd Junior. That was very very in tandem with me being like I'm trying I'm exploring gender, like let's do this. I was like going for like very like visibly queer vibes, ah, and like cut my hair short for the first time and was going for very like pretty boy vibes, and then I was like, pault, I'm not going to do that for a little bit. I'm gonna go like hyper fem Saint Vincent's album Mass Seduction had just come out, and I was like, I want to be that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want my hair.
Speaker 3: Long again, and I want to be like super sexy, weird, and like that's still like a piece of me as a person. But I think that was also coming from a place of me seeking memorability, and I think it was coming from a place of like fear and a little bit of desperation, not consciously, definitely subconsciously, just the way you go and go through the world and see that when when people are attracted to somebody, even subconsciously, they just treat them better. So that's you know, that's what pretty privilege is and all all that stuff. So it's been interesting in tandem to now be in another phase of my life where I am feeling far truer to myself than I have felt in the past, and I feel like I am making decisions based on comfort instead of like fear or desperation or anything else, or like desire to feel desirable, And I think, yeah, part of that's just like growing up and like just getting older and more comfortable with yourself. But I think also just accepting how I want to be, just what my non conforming identity really entails. And so it's been especially interesting within the last year where I have made that more visibly evident and audibly evident and definitely seeing a switch in how people are engaged and who is engaged and how much. For a while, I was still holding onto the fear of like it's like I don't want to let myself think, but wouldn't I be happier to be true to myself in these ways, Like you know, I really would stop myself from thinking like, oh man, I really dream of starting testosterone or I really dream of getting top surgery. I was just like, but if I do that, I'm not going to be able to use like sexy femininity to get people to listen to my music.
Speaker 2: Got so fucked up. But it's such a thing.
Speaker 1: It's so it's so it's like you're trying to you're trying to break through, You're trying to like put make a living, pay your rent, like you do have to think about it.
Speaker 3: It sucks, yeah, and I have, I know, I've like I've literally like you know, played into the whole like oh, it's a thirst trap.
Speaker 1: Tour or it's it's impossible not to as again a normal person who has nothing to promote and is just existing as a normal person. If you are at all trying to be like any kind of artist, it's unavoidable. It's just like that's part of the vocabulary now.
Speaker 3: And it's like, I mean even the fact that like visual artists are like, yeah, I don't really get my work out there unless I post a selfie and then have pictures of my work. It's so I feel like I feel like you can't even use social media as like social media you can't like keep up with your friends unless you're posting content. Like it's not a matter of like posting updates. Now it's like you have to post content. It's a content creator to even keep up with your friends because your posts are now being ranked in an algorithm instead.
Speaker 1: Of it is we all should have Like the biggest red flag was when we started calling it content like that's the like that's when we all should have stopped and been like, hold on, this seems fucked up, Like why yeah, like but that ship has sailed sale.
Speaker 3: It's not a matter of making a post or making an update.
Speaker 1: But okay, wait, so let so getting going. Even back before all of this in terms of like like you like growing up, adolescents all of that, when did these things like are you you one of the Like I always knew something was going on, something was different even before I had the language for it.
Speaker 2: Or did you realize later, like what versus gender? Like yeah, just I.
Speaker 3: Think there was. I think the things that were at play were like I think when I was a kid kid, I feel like I wasn't raised in a very gendered way.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: I think I think I was really raised to be a kid, you know, like I just like I played with all kinds of different toys and uh like wore lots of different clothes. I remember I really wanted to cut my hair really short when I was like four, and then nobody knew I was a girl, so I was like wearing dresses. But also like I was four, so that like all kind of didn't mean anything to me. I remember being very like distraught that, uh, like boys didn't want to play with me as like a you know, like a young child because I liked boy stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I had like a really big Pokemon obsession and I really wanted to like play Pokemon or do anything about Pokemon. If I heard anybody talking about Pokemon, I would, you know, like the censors went off and I was like, that's my favorite thing. But I was always really upset that, like boys were like, you're this is for boys only. You're a girl, you can't hang out with us. And I was like that doesn't matter. I'm not like, what do you mean. You're boys and I'm a girl. We're all consumers of the Pokemon franchise. At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Wow, you were the ideal customer for that.
Speaker 1: Like someone in Japan is like, yes, that's what we've been saying.
Speaker 3: Who cared about gender? We're all people who are going to ask our parents for money to buy toys.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, you really understood it. Okay, Okay, so yeah this is relatable. I feel I feel a lot of yeah, similarities when I was growing up, like this days for me. But yeah, as you're getting into like middle school, high school, how did that start to like break down and or like don't awareness.
Speaker 3: I feel like by then I wasn't thinking about it. Well, in hindsight, I think my behaviors were like very interesting, like definitely like by middle and high school, I was like I saw myself as a girl. I was living as a girl. I wasn't really part of any communities that like had language that would have helped me see otherwise. But I'm I really wonder like what my relationship to gender would have been like if I had like the language and tools that I have now to just kind of see the other options. But the something that I find interesting when I look back at my uh past behaviors and interest interests and all that was like probably the biggest component of my identity as a middle schooler was being obsessed with the Jonas Brothers. That was ever, I like truly ate slept and breathed the Jonas Brothers. Okay, channel and song that was like that was it Because I started writing music and learning to play guitar and accompany myself when I was in middle school.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, and.
Speaker 3: Like that was that was everything. I just like wanted to be like a songwriter and a performer and an actor and do something in entertainment. And I was in love with Joe Jonas, and I was convinced you will like the meant to be together.
Speaker 1: You would not know this to hear your music or to like see what you look like, you wouldn't be like I thought the Jonahs brothers were a foundation.
Speaker 3: I just I just told this, like I was just talking about basically this exact same thing to somebody that I'm seeing, and they were like, you didn't even have to I've never known this about you. You didn't even have to tell me you were obsessed with the Jonas brothers. But I just knew.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they really were? They a fellow?
Speaker 1: Is it am I on the outside because I never like intersected with the Jonahs brothers, like because I'm doing it for that. Maybe it's like people you can recognize it. It's like you have a nod and you're like.
Speaker 3: I, honestly, I don't know because I don't I don't know how I come off. I feel like I could totally see, like from your perspective, It's like, I don't know, you don't strike me as somebody who was like like like super in the grasps of an incredibly like mainstream and purity React artists. But that's me into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, they're like the clean cut Purity Rings boys. So that's like totally my perception of them. They've definitely deviated from that, but that is forever to me, They're they're the Purity Rings boys.
Speaker 2: They're like not.
Speaker 3: Having sex to me, no, hotly, Well, I think I like that when I was that age, I think that's to me.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I didn't have any kind of like religious upbringing, but the but the values of like like sex doesn't need to be like guiding principle in your life right now because I was like twelve, thirteen, fourteen years old, and I think so now looking back, I think my like obsession with this these artists was like my uh like a safe way for me to explore these things like crushes and attraction and like desire and also like who and what I wanted to be because I also definitely experienced, you know, just like the feeling of like when I liked something or someone I wanted to become that I like completely revolved my style around what the Jonahs brothers wore. Like I wanted to dress just like them and be like that and write that kind of music. But I also like fell asleep every night to like a new fantasy of how I like meet Joe Jonas and we fall in love. Still hasn't happened yet. That's I also feel like, I'm like, that's my I've there's still time I want to make. I want to make a post about that. I know. I know when that when I haven't, I made a bunch of posts. I was like, GUIDs, I think that was finally my time. Okay.
Speaker 2: I always did think he was the cutest one. So for whatever whatever.
Speaker 1: It's worse, I was also a Joe Jonas.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's some joke in there about just like if Joe was your favorite Jonas brother, how's your queer awakening going.
Speaker 1: I think there's some truth to that. He's he's the pretty one. He's the pretty one, because yeah, I think there's some truth to that for sure.
Speaker 3: Being having like an extreme celebrity crush during my like foundational years definitely influenced my type for like the rest of you know, even.
Speaker 2: I think that's for all.
Speaker 3: I so yep ye, silly, silly goofy person who likes art or music, who has thick eyebrows. That is the only criteria for how I will be interested in somebody.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Mostly. There's some stuff has deviated, but like that's my type stuff.
Speaker 2: I love that. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So as you got older, when did you start to actually like like not just have crushes, but like maybe pursue people or get involved with people. And like, at what point was it like, oh, Okay, this is who I am, and I'm either accepting it or I'm repressing it as much as humanly possible or something.
Speaker 3: I definitely definitely by the time I was in high school. Somewhere in high school, I feel like I never I never came out, and I never even really had like a coming out to myself. It was just like somehow, just I guess. As I was growing up and experiencing attraction to anybody, I was like, well, girls are definitely in there. I definitely don't just like boys. I think there's definitely probably a sort of just like a degree of pulsory heterosexuality, and also just not a degree of that, a degree of just like attraction feeling different to different people, and probably just a lack of like knowing how to talk to girls.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: That I was just like I like, I was like, well, I don't know if I have like crushes on girls, Like I don't know if i'd want to date a girl, but I'm definitely attracted to girls. And even that, in hindsight, I'm like, no, there's definitely some people that I had crushes on. I just really didn't know what that felt like versus the way I would be like obsessed over a boy or like, you know, like in the past, like be obsessed over one very unattainable boy yea. In more much more recently, I've thought about how, like, I think there's probably more to uncover with the sense of anxiety I've had around attraction or pursuing people, and probably a desire to be like these people and the best I could do was be close to them. That I feel like, you know, I'm only a year on low DOS testosterone and I just got top surgery in May, and I'm like, I am really new to genuinely feeling like myself wow. And the ease I have felt in this last year about so many aspects of myself and the way I'm perceived, and especially that in relationships. It's just has just been astounding that I think there's probably still a lot for me to uncover about my previous relationship with relationships.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's so recent. I didn't wow like May.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're recording this in July, Like that is really recent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, let's talk relationships, because I feel like the album doesn't exist without having.
Speaker 2: A rich history the relationship.
Speaker 1: How soon, Because like, I'm someone who didn't start I had like a boyfriend in high school for like a couple of weeks or something, but then like nothing in college and then like I didn't start dating to like senior year of college. So I'm a late bloomer in terms of relationships nice and have continued to not have many.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, ya, thank you.
Speaker 1: I always think of it as like, let's hide this fat because it red flags for people. But when are you were you like an early appreciator of relationships?
Speaker 2: Did you get in them early? Like what did you do? Serial monogamy? Like what happened was?
Speaker 3: It's Oh my god, it's so funny we're talking about this because I just had it. I haven't thought about this in a while, but I just had to dream about my first boyfriend, like last life that mean something. Well, I just talked about it. I just talked about him, and so I just talked about like my relationship history like a couple of days ago. So I guess, well, hey man, how's it going? You know what? Because I was talking to I was talking to somebody about like, I was like, well, you know, I'm not in touch with my first ever boyfriend anymore. I don't know. I don't know if if he still goes by the same name or is still a boy or interesting. You know, I don't know what his relationships are like now either, because I feel like I have a bit of a record of of like I've had a couple relationships that where it's like whoa we neither of us were out back then. Something about that relationship definitely worked because we're both queer.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, I've heard that a lot on this podcast, people who find each other through some sort of energy even though neither of them are out and they don't have the language for it, and nine years later like ah.
Speaker 3: You doo, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I love that, but yeah, I mean like my first relationship. I I went from being obsessed with the Jonas brothers and being convinced I was like, I'm never going to date. I'm going to be in love with this famous man forever. Probably because I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: Yeah that feels real, get that.
Speaker 3: And I didn't want to date. I was, you know, I didn't. I didn't like anybody. I was like, boys are immature. Everybody is immature. I don't you know. I would never settle just because I should date now because other people date or kiss. I was like, I don't want to have my first kiss and this it's really really special. So I went from that to being friends with this guy that I met and who I definitely like liked, but I didn't want to like I didn't want because I didn't want to date. I just like I was like, I'm not I'm not the.
Speaker 1: Person who date, okay, okay, But eventually eventually we did date.
Speaker 3: We dated for like a year or something.
Speaker 1: I think that's so long and like high school or school, yeah time, that's like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's impressive. Honestly, it was.
Speaker 3: It was like felt serious experience because he went to college and I was still in high school, and I was like, I was just changing a lot and growing up, and I was like, I just wasn't interested in being in a relationship anymore.
Speaker 1: During that time, though, did were you still conscious of being of your attractions being beyond just like I mean, we didn't even say I guess yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 3: I definitely think at that point, like I was aware of people being bisexual, and I think I had known that. I'm like, that's that sounds accurate to me. I think that probably applies. I feel like I remember at some point in high school, probably a couple of years later, like really like having kind of like the conversation with myself being like, oh, I am definitely attracted to women, you know, being like, well, that's right, you know, I definitely am attracted to women. Does that mean I have to come out? I guess I guess probably not. Like, I don't think that's really relevant unless it has to be relevant. I'm I'm not gonna I don't need to make like a Facebook post about that, right.
Speaker 1: I don't think that matters such a measured so you didn't like freak out realize that that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I feel like that.
Speaker 2: I love that. I just like freak the fuck out, But I love that you were like, do I have to make a post.
Speaker 1: I'm not the guy ow anyone to post like you're just having a very adult conversation with yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And meanwhile, I think my sibling was the first to like date somebody of the same gender. And even that wasn't like it wasn't we never had like conversations with my parents.
Speaker 2: She's like, awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just kind of was like a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Really older sibling, younger sibling younger. Oh, interesting, they were first.
Speaker 3: They were the first person I knew who was like you know, I who I knew of who had brought up the concept of being non binary. Wow, that's really cool. Sound out to carry for real?
Speaker 2: Look at that younger trailboyzer. We love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your parents were just like on board and cool and there was never any conflicts surrounding like that.
Speaker 3: No, never, it's been That's fantastic. Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: God, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of gratitude for the family that I that I'm in. I'm glad we never had to I don't know, have big coming outs. Uh, I mean even with I think it was definitely a little for me at least, felt a little silly with gender stuff. I was like, it probably would be easier for people if I just said something about this up front. But it was just sort of like at some point I changed my pronouns on my sof I think probably on on the like I have two instagrams, I have a personal one and they have the BOYD Junior one, and probably on the BOYD Junior one, I changed the pronouns to they them first. It was I was just using chi they for a little while, and there wasn't like a solid date that I was like, I'm gonna tell people. It was just kind of like it was like, oh, well, I'm non binary. That's just like a thing about me, like that might come up in my music at some point, or like that might come up and just like facts about me. But I and but it wasn't really until I was like, oh, I'm putting out a song about gender identity that I was like, I guess I'm coming out. When you know, people's responses to it was really nice, but it's very it's funny, like feeling like oh no, no, no, you don't need to like you don't even like congratulate me or anything, like, I'm really it's been like this for a long time. Like it's like it's like you either know or you don't. Like it's just sort of like I've been out. But yeah, so not because it was like I was out. It was different when I was in college and I was in a very like liberal arts college, and then very different when I was like just a person in the working world and didn't want to bring certain kinds of attention to myself and just wanted to keep it simple. But then it was to a point where it's like, Okay, yeah, you can only keep yourself molded a certain way to keep other people comfortable for so long before you're just like stuffling your existence.
Speaker 2: It's not sustainable.
Speaker 1: Do you get so you get those kinds of like the nice congratulatory covients, Do you get the other kinds of messages where people are like, like you made me realize this, or like fans who have been with you since the beginning who have like seen these changes and maybe it like made them realize things.
Speaker 2: But like you, like.
Speaker 3: I think so, and you know what, I'm really glad. I'm glad you asked that because I was. I was. I thought you were about to ask, like, do I get the other side, which is like people being haters? And I was about to go on a rant about how like, oh, yeah, I've been encountering some of the worst people on earth.
Speaker 1: You are more than welcome to. But I never want to make anyone talk about those people because.
Speaker 3: I'm about it. Oh my god, to make music and complain. But I actually I'm so glad that you asked that, because I'm like, you know, I have not I don't put enough like energy and gratitude and attention into the fact that, like people have said some incredibly meaningful things to me. And I think I feel in commfortable to really soak that in because it's like.
Speaker 1: To be truly it's like holy shit, that's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fathom like really truly having done something important for other people. I feel like I'm so used to being in the realm of just like I'm just the little digital gesture. I'm here for fun times, but I'm probably forgettable and I have to constantly scratch at the algorithm to try and like make some meaningful something out of what I'm doing. It's hard to it. It's really hard to really truly let it sink in, maybe because it feels conceited to be. Like, people have told me that things that I have made have made them feel more comfortable with themselves and question their own identity and start to come out to themselves a little bit, or that it's been a good source of way to understand other people or to try to get other people to unders stand other identities. And people have just said that like just what I am doing and putting myself out there is like good and important representation to them. Yeah, and I probably should like get up every day and say that or like just like screenshot like nice things people have said to me like that and put it on my wall and be like this is also in the world. By the way, Yeah, it's not just you versus like the algorithm that you worry is going to like suppress you and your friends forever and make it impossible for artists to create art for a living. It's not just you. And you know the unhinged people who have gone out of their way to message me to tell me it's disgusting that I'm changing myself and blah blah blah. There's a lot of people who are just out here enjoying the art and expanding their worldview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not just enjoying it, but being like changed by it, and like, yeah, kind of profoundly effective. Well, what you're saying now reminds me of listening to bullying myself like it, so it sounds like you are actively working to not do that because it's so hard.
Speaker 3: How I've been bullying myself about bullying myself the song that I'm like, I'm like, I'm like, I need to be doing something better. It's not good enough, Like, not enough people are seeing my videos about the song and and I just haven't figured out the right way to smokee the song. And I should be, you know, I should be doing better. I'm not, you know, I'm not a serious enough artist yet. I don't know, just I you know, everything under the sun I have found as a way to criticize myself. And it's like, hey, that's silly. Do I do not see the irony here? Me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Come on man?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah wow. Now I love that song. I feel like it. Really it's a good fucking reminder I do the same. We all do that. I think the artists, especially like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the ones who don't are the ones who should be, which is what's so ironic, the ones who are, like I'm flawless. It's like you should bully yourself a little bit, like.
Speaker 3: I think a little bit of self awareness. And also comes down to is just it's the probably the healthiest form of it is just the desire to continue to grow as an artist and to stay curious about new.
Speaker 2: Ways and in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the very few of us managed to itchy is that balance?
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, so so and okay, so the relationships we don't have to like fully get into.
Speaker 2: This, but that like totally led to this album.
Speaker 1: Like, are any of these people who like you're still in touch with like who you were? Like, Okay, I have an album coming out, you have a song on it? Just head the like what do you when you're releasing an album? That's like what's the process for like letting people.
Speaker 3: I actually I did, I did have I did reach out to So there's a number of songs on there that are about one x or some of the songs actually a number of the songs are about multiple people or situations. Like some of the songs were started at one time and got finished all the time.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So they're like amalgamation that's okay, gotcha, as opposed to tailor swept, who was like this one song is about this one person and every line is very specific to something you did.
Speaker 3: I have that too. I mean there's there's songs that are that as well. But a couple of the songs were written after one break up a couple of years ago, and you know, we had this sort of like somewhat complicated like let's stay friends thing that like just like definitely wasn't the healthiest thing for me to jump into. I was like, yeah, let's stay friends. But I also was like I took like weeks, you know, from keeping our conversations up because it's just like I have a big range of complicated feelings, you know. I wasn't ready for that relationship to end, Like I thought it was really serious and I thought it was gonna like continue for a lot longer. In hindsight, totally like it's one of those things where it's just like, man, sometimes people just aren't ripe and ready to be in the kind of relationship that you are, and that sucks, but it's just what happens. Yeah, you know, I still hold multiple feelings about this relationship and about just how it happened and about what it taught me. But so we were like, you know, friends for a little bit, but I definitely still was going through a lot of my processing. And then there was a chunk of time this past year between like between the winter and the spring, where like I just like stopped hearing from him for a bit. We were like getting to be friends again, where it's like, okay, man, we were gonna hang out in person again, and like, I think things are going to be better. And then I just like wasn't hearing from him because I don't know from stuff he was going on, going on whatever, whatever was going on, and I felt really anxious about the fact that I was. I was starting to pick a release date for I Hope you feel terrible, which is very blatantly about it, like very very blatantly, I like kind of sarcastic, leaning into the whole like screw you, you heard my feelings kind of vibe. But I was like, I feel like it it holds a different kind of weight when it's being released about somebody that I like was on good terms with and might not be on good terms with anymore. Yeah, it would be one thing if it's like somebody I you know, it's like we're on good terms. I absolutely don't speak to this person and they're not gonna hear this song. They're not you know, we're just not in each other's lives. But it was just like kind of in between stage from like yeah, I really don't want him to hear this song and be like oh now I'm never getting back in touch with this person. So I did have to reach out. I had told him at one point like hey, I my next Oh, like oh what if I been up to. Oh well, I've been working on this album. It's gonna be able to break up songs and yeah, someone the remember about you. I have to you know, process and whatever. But now I was like, hey, look, I know we haven't talked a little while, but I don't know if you've seen any of my posts promoting this new song on socials, but like I'm putting out a song and like, I really don't want you to take it personally. I'm not currently harboring these feelings, like I am leaning into it for the for the yes, but you know, I hope you're good, Uh, don't take it personally, but it's funny thing, you know, to release songs that are about like, well, it's like the song is called I hope you feel terrible at some point, like you know, maybe do take it a little bit personally, okay, and then we you know, then that sparked conversation again, and uh, I don't know. There's other people who have songs about them that like probably won't listen to the songs and wouldn't even necessarily know that the songs are about them, okay, And I don't know, maybe wouldn't even care. I don't I don't even really know.
Speaker 1: I feel like having a song written about you, whether it's good or bad, is just like there's no way somebody can't be a little like, oh my god, have a song about.
Speaker 3: I know, a song written about me. But I'm like, I don't know. I would kind of feel like, wow, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: You don't like, oh me amused? Who knew?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, you do?
Speaker 2: Not feel kind of amped up about that?
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's my person. Like my one friend feels about that. I mean, I'm where, you know, I'm like part of me is like I don't know where that like, you know, relationship as friends who used to date is going to go. I don't know where that you know, yeah, how that's going to be by the time the full album comes out. I am kind of nervous about, like party wants to be like you know what, maybe maybe don't listen to the record, but also please listen to the record.
Speaker 2: And it's also a couple of months away, like who knows, that's a lot of time. Who knows how things progress.
Speaker 3: I also have bonus tracks that I'm still working on finishing that are going to come out that you know, because like I had all those breakups and then I was like, oh wait, there's more.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's like, ah, you got it just under the wire. Congratulations you made the album. Yeah, that's so funny. Did you I can't remember if you mentioned this off micron mic, So if it was off Mike and you don't want to talk about it, we don't have to.
Speaker 2: But did you.
Speaker 1: I feel like you mentioned you were seeing somebody currently or no, you said like being perceived or something is different. Now I wonder what is it like seeing and it is this like a relatively new I don't know how serious it is or whatever, but relatively new. But at the same time you're promoting and having these song releases about breakups. Is that is that like something that you're like, hey, so just so you know, like my new song is about this, and like it's about a breakup obviously, but do you.
Speaker 3: I think I think being in a relationship with me has and always will come with the territory of I'm gonna be writing about my exes. I'm gonna be saying about them and writing about them, and even I mean like I've been playing songs that are about relationships that I have not had intense feelings about for years totally.
Speaker 1: But like as an artist, it's like that's just gonna be a part of your life and.
Speaker 3: We're a little bit it just it just becomes about how song the song is, and that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because it's just so funny how all of us, I feel like, are but especially as queer people, we are trained like it's always like if she talks about her ex on the first day, like that's a warning that's here. You are with a fucking album coming out all about it, and you have to be like no, no, no, no no, But that's like, but it's art and it's not the same as someone over sharing on a first day and knocking over it, and yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: Such like funny, but I'm sure not super funny in the moment.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: Or two, if I were to meet anybody or get involved with anybody who's like, I don't like that you have songs about your past relationships and be like that is such an unrealistic expectation.
Speaker 1: Man, I can't date anyone who's creative then, because that's what ninety percent of art is about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've learned so much and reflected so much from my pastor reallyationships and what they've shown me about my relationship with myself, which is kind of like, well, that's like what bullying myself is about. It like came to be because of the way I was feeling after a certain a certain genre of rejection or perceive of rejection, and like that's one that I feel like is like it's not necessarily like you know who you are, this is about you. It's definitely about my relationship to myself, but it's about it's my relationship to myself very much in light of relationships, and I think it's something that applies to all of the relationships that that album encompasses. There's always this feeling of like my entire self worth being tied to somebody I like liking me back and somebody wanting me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very relatable for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And have you had I'm just curious, like, have you had long ish periods of being single or are you someone who like, once you started relationships you found that they were kind of like coming fast and furious, like in terms of like.
Speaker 3: I've had a little bit of both. Yeah, I've definitely I've had I've had a little bit of both. What I felt happened in like you know that, like especially post college to kind of like last year period of time is like I felt like I went from one thing to another, not even necessarily one relationship to another, but one fixation to another, especially especially during the pandemic when things were just really disregulated and it was so much easier to just put all of my like things to look forward to, hope for the future, feelings, you know, reason to get up in the morning, just put all of that into a relationship because it's extremely emotionally stimulating. Yes, but I feel like I kind of had a period of time where I just went from like one crush to another crush, and some of these people were people that I was involved with and some weren't, okay, and I felt like I was only able to get over one relationship by getting into some other kind of relationship or situationship without you know, always I mean like I was, there was time in between those that I was not pursuing or being pursued. But I felt always felt very susceptible to like just wanting yeah okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So even so there would maybe be like a crush going even if yeah okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always always something as I always want to I always want to have a crush, which fun, I mean fun in its most regulated form. It's fun. It's but definitely a big thing I've had to explore. It is just like, oh, okay, there's there's ways to have crushes, and then like there's the way that I was experiencing crushes and thought everybody else was experiencing crushes. Sure, it's to like how I would feel about Joe Jonas as a young yeah teen, yeah, you know, feeling like really wrapped up in it, like to an unregulated degree.
Speaker 1: I think for a lot of creative people that is again very relatable, feeling things to a degree that is.
Speaker 2: Extreme to many other people if they were to be inside your brain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I definitely think really putting myself first and allowing myself to transition into this more authentic version of myself is the best thing.
Speaker 1: Also for relationships, Oh my god, of course it's gonna you're gonna be experiencing. I would imagine relationships in a totally different way now that you're finally feeling yeah.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Even just the way I feel about myself, I just uh, I feel genuinely like different and better about spending time with myself.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, that's such a great way to put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Like it really just feels like I when I used to the thoughts I used to stave off. Is stave off the right word? I don't really remember, Yeah, pre tea would be like I would stave off these thoughts of like what if? What if starting testosterone and leaning into the more gender non conforming version of myself that I think about so often would just fix everything? What if that would just be the key to feeling better about myself and to having better relationships. What if it just like fixes everything? That would be so and then I'd be like, no, I don't want to think that, because that means I should actually look into that and start that, and then that means that's so scary. That means that I have to actually decide on something about myself, and that means that I am also Honestly, my biggest fear was that just like boys won't like me. I was like, like, this is like my type of guy. The kind of guy that I like is not like probably not going to be into me. And but now now I'm like, honestly, there are a ton of people that I'm attracted to and I know I'm not their type. And yeah, that's just a new thing that I have to, like to have to just go on like accepting that just like that's that's fine. Not everybody, not everybody has to be attracted to me. That doesn't mean that I can't like have meaningful relationships and have value in people's lives.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, well said thanks.
Speaker 1: Before we get into like where folks can find you and your music and all that, is there anything that we haven't covered that you want to hit on? I want to make sure you get to say everything that you want to say.
Speaker 3: Oh, explore, exploring exploring yourself is great, exploring gender or even things outside of gender. I think there's a lot about exploring gender and just exploring oneself as a person and cultivating a relationship with oneself outside of every you know, just conventional societal expectations is so great. Also, therapy is great if you can find the right therapist. If you can therapist for therapist, shout out to therapy. And community is great. Community is all we.
Speaker 1: Have, and.
Speaker 3: I, you know, I wouldn't be able to be talking about these things like this without any of those things. Community, including including friends and family. If you're lucky enough to just naturally be in a place where you have people who are on your team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, and if.
Speaker 3: You don't all be on your team?
Speaker 2: Oh well, okay, that's a perfect segue.
Speaker 1: So yeah, where can people find you and your music and and make sure they know when the album drops? Yeah, you're on a bunch of different platforms, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on any music platform. I'm on there as boy Junior boy Jr. Period. My instagram is BOYD Junior Official, My TikTok is BOYD Junior point six ' nine. My Twitter is BOYD Junior Music. I'm on YouTube. You can just search BOYD Junior for that. I think I'm on Patreon if you want to get behind the scenes access and downloads of special release songs every month and art. I also have a monthly art club where I will send you my funky little drawings every month. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I really want more people to sign up for that. I love drawing. I just started a fiver account. You can search BOYD Junior on Fiver and I will write you a custom song or I will produce your music for you. I'm also available for hire for music work if people are looking for some unique songwriting or production. I have a mailing list, an email list that I always encourage people to sign up for because I think that's the best way to be sure you know when things are released right now. The only way you can sign up for it is you either tell me your email address directly or I have a merch website. It's boy Junior dot big Cartel dot com. But also it's my link tree is the link in my bio and all of my socials and everything I'm on. I have a link to the site on there, and a pop up window comes up when you go to the merch site that asks if you'd like to join the email list. So I always advise that because I you could just never know, if you never know, if you can just trust your your social media feed to.
Speaker 1: Show you when as I talked about, it is the wild West with the algorithms, they're changing it like daily and people.
Speaker 2: Are freaking out as we should be really hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard out there.
Speaker 3: So I have all that. I have new singles coming out, uh, almost every month, I think until the album comes out at the end of October. Yeah, and then I'll be doing a bunch of tour dates. I think I'm gonna be doing different legs of a big I love getting dumped tour so that we don't all burn out and so that we can all continue to hold down our jobs and take some time to go on the road. So I guess I'm thinking, you know, hopefully next year, probably next you know, the next two years maybe will involve a lot of different legs of tours throughout the country. Maybe hopefully someday I'll have enough money to tour in other countries as well. Oh yeah, I really want to do like a European tour. Yes, but it's just it's it's expensive to get over there, expensive to find it.
Speaker 2: It is very prohibit it is very cost prohibitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some day it'll happen.
Speaker 2: That is awesome.
Speaker 1: No, I'm so thank you so much for doing this. And like I've said this, people have heard me say this on the podcast before. I am someone who's like my music knowledge taps out at like the nineties, and mostly what I listened to is like seventies like folk rock. So anytime I have a musician on and I and I'm about to listen to their music, I'm like, please let me actually like this so I don't have to like do an episode around like lying about it. But like your music, It's just like anytime I listened to modern music, I'm like, I should fucking listen to modern music, like I like it.
Speaker 2: Why do I own d of stuff from before I was born? But like, yeah, I really did.
Speaker 1: I just really enjoyed it and the album. I'm so excited because yeah, I getting dumped has definitely been a feature.
Speaker 2: Of my life.
Speaker 1: YEA excited that there's a whole album about it, and y'all you know where to find me.
Speaker 2: I'm at Lauren Flants on Twitter, Lauren Underscore Flants on Instagram. The podcast is at coming Out pod everywhere.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you haven't reviewed the podcast, you can that on Spotify Mobile or on iTunes.
Speaker 2: You can write a review yay, that's great. But other than that, you all know the drill. I will always give a little heads up.
Speaker 1: When I'm releasing new episodes. But it's so good to be back, and I hope everyone's been doing well and I will see you the next time. I've got a new guest to talk to.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Take care Bye.