Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, Here's Wayne Resnick.
Speaker 3: Kf I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning, Bill Handle's show. He's still on his holiday vacation.
Speaker 4: Are we down a man?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, he is here. I think he just ran to the restroom real quick.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 4: So is there a rule?
Speaker 3: Is there an FCC regulation or an iHeart policy that on the morning show there must always be one person who doesn't come back from breaks on time?
Speaker 5: To be fair, this is early and early comeback into.
Speaker 4: Show, so we should welcome back. Michael Monks.
Speaker 6: Good morning Wayne. Nice to hear your voice today.
Speaker 3: You too, and to see your face. You see my face? Oh that's interesting. So you think I'm ugly? No, no, you see my face. But you only said it's nice to hear my voice.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't want to create an HR issue, but I think you're a very handsome man.
Speaker 3: Ah me, you too, take an HR issue. Gotta be safe, all right, So let's start over, Cono, Let's start over and be more professional this time. We're going for an extremely professional approach to Handle on the News today in honor of Michael Monks last day for now filling in for Amy King, We're going to be extremely high level levels of professionalism.
Speaker 6: I don't know that we want to set the standards too high for when the regular.
Speaker 3: We're setting them, we're setting them impossibly high, and we're going to achieve it. And that's the point to achieve. We're going today to achieve. Not right now, we're not. We're not achieving anything right now. I should have probably what probably what we're doing is killing the two minutes or whatever that we normally would have had for Michael Monks to get back into the booth for me, by the way, to get a beverage, which I have no beverage because we started early.
Speaker 4: Is now killing?
Speaker 6: Did I end the previous hour too soon?
Speaker 4: No? I don't know. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I got a smidgeon. I got a signal of a smidgeon from con On.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Wayne Resnick.
Speaker 4: Hey, KFI. Bill Handle's on vacation.
Speaker 3: Wayne Resnick here, and it is time, as we do every first hour of the Bill Handle Show for Handle on the News. Let me set the crew for you Michelle Cube is producing today in.
Speaker 4: For Ann Marcono is here. Good morning. Kono is here running the board.
Speaker 3: Nice it didn't that didn't flow right?
Speaker 6: Start over Back to one, everybody, Back to one.
Speaker 3: Back to one, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Here's Wayne Resnick KFI.
Speaker 3: Handle gone, Wayne Resnick in And we always start the show with some hand along the news. I will tell you who is here today. No need to respond anybody. Michelle Cube is producing for Anne. Kono is running the board. The only original member of the Morning crew who is here today, Michael Monks is in for Amy King. And that brings us to handle on the news and today's lead story. The plane, an Azerbaijan Airlines plane crashed yesterday, Christmas Day after an unusual and several hundred mile long detour in the wrong direction.
Speaker 4: There are apparently holes in.
Speaker 3: The fuselage, which is causing Russian military bloggers and some aviation experts to opine that it may have been accidentally shot down by Russia. For you see, it went into an area that Russia has heavily militarized and at the airport where it was trying to land in an emergency landing. At the same time that airport was under a drone attack from Ukraine, and so the theory is Russia was trying to get rid of these Ukrainian drones. Here was this other aircraft that really wasn't even supposed to be there, and down it went. Thirty eight people killed, another twenty nine injured. And why did it make such a detour? The working theory is there was some GPS jamming going on in the airwaves that screwed up its ability to navigate properly.
Speaker 6: This is one of those rare occasions where you have some survivors of a plane crash in which a lot of people died. So perhaps we'll get some answers to that. Later on, we got a story out of La County. At least eight La County sheriff's deputies basically fired federal investigation into one deputies beating of a transgender man last year. The Only Times reports this happened in a seven to eleven parking lot, and this was two years ago. Deputy Joseph Benza finally agreed to plead guilty to one felony civil rights violation in federal court, but in this plea agreement, he admitted that he lied to the FBI about it, and he said there were other deputies and sergeants who helped obstruct the investigation and cover up the misconduct, and that's what's led to these further dismissals of other folks. Apparently, this transgender man Wayne flipped off the deputy and sent the deputy into a rage. The deputy was on a call for another reason, left that call to chase down this transgender man because he got flipped off and rough them up.
Speaker 3: And the whole The only relevance of the that it's a transperson. The only it's in the headline of the story, which is kind of despicable, because at some point we're going to have to recognize that people are people, regardless of any of these categories that we have created. The only relevance would be that after they beat this guy up and arrested him and took him to jail, they required him to show his genitals in order to decide whether to put him in men's custody or women's custody, So that would be the only relevant thread here. It could have been any person of any type flipping off a cop and the cop chasing them down and then beating the holy hell out of them, and it all would have been every bit is wrong not to mention all the lying and the covering up and the creating of stories and saying that the guy bit the cop was biting the cop, which is apparently not true. And I mean I saw cases like this from time to time when I was with the FEDS, where some cop would go over the line, and then instead of just owning up to it, there's a big conspiracy afoot to cover it up. But a lot of times you can't sustain it. And if you're gonna lie, here's my advice to anyone who wants to lie, not just cops. If you're gonna lie, you better make damn sure that your lie is consistent with any objectively knowable facts. Because if you're gonna say that guy was biting me and biting me and then none of the reports about it mentioned that you have any bite marks on you, because you don't, you're gonna be tripped up. And that's what happened here. Oh the high surf is back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Didn't we get a tiny little break from the high surf?
Speaker 5: We did, but now it's back.
Speaker 4: The surf sobered up and then it got high again and.
Speaker 3: So we're looking at now they're saying, in this case, there will be strong rip currents, so be careful if you're going in the water, or don't go in Coastal flooding, Yes, possibly, but minor. The National Weather Service is describing the flooding, the potential flooding as minor. And this continues through tomorrow for Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles counties. And I love this quote from the National Weather Service about safety because it makes me think of a long lost TLC song or something like that. Use caution in or near the water, stay back from the water's edge, and never turn your back on the ocean. Never turn your back on the ocean or your heart is gonna get ripped aided out?
Speaker 6: Is that TLC?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: Ye, that wasn't bad. That was not bad at all. But let's emphasize though, the danger here because we have basically called off the search for a couple of guys who were fishing around here. They're serious when they say don't go in the water when it looks like that. We saw what happened in Santa Cruz with the pier being ripped to shreds and now this search being called off for these two guys who went out fishing in it. It's serious when they say it.
Speaker 3: I'm noting a trend and I want to see. I'm not gonna say anything about it yet because I want to see if it is actually a trend before I say anything, because I don't want to be wrong. But just put a pin and I think I'm noticing a trend. We'll see maybe later in the show, if I'm right.
Speaker 6: A dolphins stampede off data point was quote off the charts. Yo See Register reports some estimated five thousand long beaked common dolphins recently raced through the churning waves off data point captured not only in the memories of a handful of folks on a rigid inflatable known as the All's Well, but also footage since shared online. So, according to GIZL Anderson, who operates Captain Dave's Dolphin and whale watching Safari, data point has made the dolphins stampede famous. So what causes dolphins to display stampeding behavior. It's unknown. The burst of activity as reported here appears to happen spontaneously. What makes you stampede, Wayne.
Speaker 3: Pass Well, I mean I think because I don't have an answer, okay, because the answer cannot be broadcast, understood, understood. Isn't this this could just be the equivalent of Zuomi's for dolphins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Group some think that it's that the dolphins are meeting up with another dolphin pod, so they're very excited to see another group, or there's some food somewhere and they all want to get to it first. Now that if you want to see a stampede, that is for sure. People trying to get to food fast come into KFI or anywhere in the iHeart building when there's free food up in the red room, and when the email goes out, Hey there's free food in the red room. And then go take a gander at the stairwells.
Speaker 6: It's like Golden Corral on a Sunday up there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also that they might be trying to get away from predators, but I prefer to think it's just some once in a while, you all get the Zuomies and zoomies are contagious.
Speaker 4: Now you have multiple.
Speaker 3: Animals, Michelle, well, I had you had you had multiple animals, which I never have had multiple animals.
Speaker 4: Are the zuomies contagious.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: Once one gets it, the rest of them, well, at first the other two, like when we had three, one would get the zoomies, the other two would kind of look for a moment and just kind of watch them zoom back and forth, and then they join it.
Speaker 6: I have caught the zuomies from my cat.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go.
Speaker 3: Cross species transmission of the zoomes, just like cross species transmission of the bird flu, which has now been detected by the Los Angeles County Health Department in some raw pet food, specifically Northwest Naturals brand two pound packs of Feline Turkey recipe raw and frozen pet food H five bird flu virus detected in products samples, So that's been recalled, and the county is advising both humans and pets to not eat raw milk or raw meat products.
Speaker 4: Don't feed them to your pet.
Speaker 3: I don't give a rip if you, as a human, choose to drink raw milk and then get bird flu, no tears for you, But your pet doesn't get to decide, So can we please cut it out for now with the raw food to the pets.
Speaker 6: I've always suspected that cats are libertarians and that maybe they have chosen this on their own. Could you see the cats of the political leanings of animals, the cats, out of all the species, would be the one like, give me my raw meat, give me my raw milk. You don't tell me what to do?
Speaker 3: Uh? I mean, I can see it in the sense of cats being the ones saying, you are the government, leave me.
Speaker 4: Alone, but cats cannot.
Speaker 3: But just like human libertarians, by the way, cats are stupid as well about their political philosophies. Because let's say you're a cat and you're a libertarian, and you're.
Speaker 4: Saying, leave stay out of my life.
Speaker 3: Human who is the stand in for the government in this analogy? You stay out of my business? Yeah, how are you getting your food?
Speaker 2: Dumb ass?
Speaker 3: Mister cat? Now what does this have to do with human liberty?
Speaker 4: Tarians?
Speaker 3: The government should only do a national defense. Okay, then who's paving your road? Dumbass? Who's coming to put the fire out at your house? Your neighborhood's gonna get together and hire a private fire department and a and a private paving company.
Speaker 6: I wonder what the political leanings are of those dolphins that were stampeding nearby here. Do you think they're like, I bet there's socially liberal common Democrats.
Speaker 3: But are upper middle class suburban voters. Oh they're they're all They're like from Finland. Whatever the political system in Finland did get it?
Speaker 6: Cute?
Speaker 4: Cute Michelle, How dare you not last?
Speaker 2: Dare you not last?
Speaker 5: Laughing?
Speaker 3: I just we're talking about dolphins, and I said Finland and you just sacked there.
Speaker 6: Oh and I only just now got it perfect. Oh well, I'm sorry. I was six grat geography champ, but I didn't that I didn't get that reference. I apologize for that.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's all right, let's do this dog story. But I'm gonna ask you, I never mind, I'm not asking you anything.
Speaker 6: Do the dog for okay, okay, okay, I'm very nervous with you today. All right. A man reunited with a dog for the holidays after eleven years apart. These stories never get old when you see pets reunited after a long time away. This is reported by Fox eleven. As he watches his dog being brought down the hallway of the Seaaca Animal Care and Control Center, Tito Barossio says, I never thought I'd see this day. The day he and Goyle were reunited a dog Tito's wife gave him for a birthday present when the dog was just a pop just eight weeks old. Barosio says, the dog has been gone eleven years and two months, and he's missed him a lot. Now, this dog is fourteen limps, may have arthritis and doesn't yet seem to recognize Tito and actually snaps at him or anyone who gets close. Until Tito can get him to a vet, he won't know what his health might be like. All right, what's poor little guy? This dog is clearly a Republican.
Speaker 7: The saddest part of this story is he just got this dog, and he was sitting out at a pub on a patio and two girls were like looking at the dog and playing with the dog, and then he turned around, he turned away, and then he turned around and they had taken off with the dog.
Speaker 5: And it took eleven years to get them out.
Speaker 6: Man, that's so crazy. So yeah, but there's always a bond. I hope they can rekindle that bond. It's always interesting to see when animals who are separated from their owners, or you know a lot of those. I mean, you can't help but cry every time you see a soldier coming home after so many months or maybe even years abroad, and the dog just it takes a moment and then they sniff you and then it's your You're back in love all over again. It's always I'm tearing up a little bit just thinking about those videos they get. I'm a sucker for them every time they come across the algorithm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me, let me put in something that's one hundred percent positive and heartwarming.
Speaker 4: Video going around.
Speaker 3: It's been going around for a while. It's some guy who I don't know how long he was away from his dog. I don't know that it was a like years, but he used to be he was very heavy and he lost a ton of weight and now he's not heavy.
Speaker 4: He's not heavy at all.
Speaker 3: So here comes the dog and the dog's looking at him, does not recognize him by looking at him, barking at him, is barking. But finally the dog catches the whiff of his smell, and then it's like.
Speaker 4: Boom, you're my guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened to half your body, but you're my guy. That was And that's the thing is apparently the smell. Kids should learn this I know, I'm going along. I don't care. And Michelle knows why kids should learn this because there are all the videos of the dog reunions, which are very nice. Then you have this other thing that's a very common video, and it's when dad shaves his beard and then the kid are horrified and terrified and crying. But if kids were smart like dogs, they would still know it smells like dad and they wouldn't have to be so upset. So what have we learned? Dogs are smarter than kids. That's two important things you've learned from me today. A mystery. After a flight from Chicago landed in Maui, the United Airlines crew found a body in the wheel well of one of the landing gears. Needless to say, the Airlines working with law enforcement to investigate the situation. The only thing we know for sure is that this wheel well is only accessible from outside of the aircraft, So nobody who was inside the plane somehow ended up in the wheel well. That's all they know. We don't have any information on who it is. Was it an employee of the airport, was it some rando? And what condition put on your true crime hats? You true crime lovers? What condition was.
Speaker 7: The body in Now, there have been people who have survived that, right, because I can't imagine how cold it must get.
Speaker 6: We reported yesterday that it had been done before, a guy from California survived that very route, apparently across the ocean to Hawaii. But the other thing that was included in the reports when this story broke yesterday was exactly what you just noted, Michelle, that it gets pretty cold, a cold that we probably can't describe because we've never felt, especially here in California. But I read that when you get up to the heights that this plane would have been, it can be minus fifty degrees in the area of the plane where that body was found, So pretty pretty cold. But I imagine that would preserve the condition of the body, to answer your questions, so probably not too decomposed, but still, what a terrible thing. All right, So yesterday was Christmas, and yesterday was the start of Hanka, but today begins Kwansa. And I think a lot of people may have an image in their mind of what it is, but we're gonna spell it out for you just in case you don't know. It is a non religious seven day long holiday that celebrates African and African American history and culture. According to NBC four Kwansa is celebrated between December twenty six and January one every year. It was created by activist and author Malmana ron Kurenga in nineteen sixty six. He hoped to introduce a nationally celebrated holiday that would bring Black Americans together and reaffirm and restore African heritage and culture. So how are you supposed to celebrate? Do you know the answer to this?
Speaker 3: Waned, Well, there's a big feast, I think is one of the main things. Yeah, and wherever you are when you're having this feast, you want it to be foods that represent African cultures, the African diaspora.
Speaker 4: I suppose.
Speaker 3: I know there's a there's a there's a lighting of candles which are different colors. I forget the exact configuration.
Speaker 6: I say three red, three green, three red, three green, and and then there are colors that are.
Speaker 3: We're missing one though, because it's seven candles one arm one candle, one black, three red, three green. Yeah, So that would be the main things that you would do, like those candles, make sure they're the correct colors, and eat those foods.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, so Happy Kwanza to everyone celebrating today.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: President elect Trump has reiterated his desire for the United States to take over supervision and control of Greenland, which is currently a part of the Kingdom of Denmark.
Speaker 4: And also the Panama Canal.
Speaker 3: So Greenland, he says, is very strategically important for national security purposes, and the Panama Canal, which is very important to commerce. He is tired of the United States putting in lots of money to repair it, maintain it, but not really have any say so in how it's run.
Speaker 4: He would like to change that.
Speaker 3: He also, on his Christmas Day message, had a different message, which is urging Hockey Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky to run for the Prime Minister of Canada.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he'd get a lot of support from LA I think.
Speaker 5: He would totally win. I think he would totally win.
Speaker 4: It depends on what his policies are.
Speaker 5: I don't think that matters. I think you would just I think he would win.
Speaker 6: What would what would a fight between the US and Denmark look like. I mean it couldn't be military, of course, I don't think would amount to that. But who wins the pr game. There you know the Danes Hamlet, Hamlet spoke well? Did Hamlet speak better than Trump?
Speaker 4: That worked out? Good example, that worked out really well for Hamlet. That whole situation.
Speaker 6: Ahu las poor yorick. We shall move on. Incoming Borders Are Tom Holman says Trump admin will need eighty six billion dollars to start these mass deportations. According to the New York Post, Incoming Borders Are, Homan says that much money is needed from Congress just to kickstart the incoming Trump administration's mass deportation plan. It's only just the beginning. He says, it will be expensive, but assured taxpayers it will save them money in the long run. The former acting ICE director recently said he wants to increase the number of detention beds from the current capacity of several tens of thousands to one hundred thousands. So again, the question that was raised over the campaign back in November, Wayne was how do these mass deportations look? How much will they cost? The pictures starting to get a little clearer, it looks.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I mean, if you're talking about completing the it's really hard to tell how extensive they're planning to go And what I mean is, do they plan on deporting every single person who is here without authorization? Every single one, or like all the criminals, which that's a very by should be a bipartisan part of it, people who are here illegally and also have been committing crimes. I mean, who's going to say no, no, no, we could use resources to deport them, but I mean the Dreamers. So I guess the thing is, if the plan is to deport every single person who's in this country right now without authorization, it's going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of three to four hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 6: Trump says, on my first day back in the Oval office, I will sign a historic slate of executive orders to close our border to illegal aliens and stop the invasion of our country. And on that same we will begin the largest deportation operation in American history, larger even than that of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Speaker 4: And Denmark will pay for it.
Speaker 7: How are they going to do that if they need eighty six million or billion to even start.
Speaker 6: It, Well, we shall see. You know, it seems like one of those things that was really important to voters, you know, between the economy and illegal immigration, those seem to be the big issues that drove Republicans and a surge and support for Trump this past year. So I don't know if we can even see if people care how it's done, just as long as they see it being done.
Speaker 3: Nobody right now should be loving cost cost Kirk Gland signature brand twenty four count organic pasture raised eggs that come from Handsome Brook Farms because they have been recalled for possible salmonella. Now, none of these eggs were sold in California, so there is no direct relevance if you're in California, there's no direct relevance of this story to you.
Speaker 4: You don't even have to think about whether you have any of these eggs or not.
Speaker 3: But the interesting part of this, and it's not interesting that some eggs maybe got contaminated with salmonella, because that's egg's favorite thing to do. But what's interesting is how the FDA can make something as simple as a consumer safety issue into a bureaucratic thicket. Because what happened is the FDA announced that they were recalling these eggs, but then later a few days later, they came back and said we are updating the recall to a class one recall.
Speaker 4: Oh what's that?
Speaker 3: Well, that's when there's a reasonable listen to this wormy language, a reason probability that the use of or exposure to a product will cause serious adverse health consequences or death. So their recalls for things, I mean, I understand this. Sometimes things are recalled. Is anything of a recall that's not a safety issue?
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard of a recall that was not that they didn't have a safety related reason for it.
Speaker 3: Why would a company recall something because eh, it just falls apart really quickly. We're recalling these socks because we found out they don't last as long as we said they did. No, So I will ask you, Michelle Cube, yes, from one to one hundred, what is the correct number that describes a reasonable probability?
Speaker 5: I would say, or.
Speaker 3: So, if there's a forty percent chance that eating these eggs will hurt you, back to class one recall. But if there's only a thirty nine percent chance, it's not a class one recall if you were running the FD all right, See this is what I'm saying. This is stupid, This isn't there don't need to be various classes of recall, and if you're gonna have various classes of recall, define them more precisely please.
Speaker 5: And just a heads up.
Speaker 7: I know you said that this wasn't in any of the Costco stores in California, but my husband, who works for Costco, says, if you are at all nervous about eating the eggs you bought at any California Costco.
Speaker 5: You can return them. It's not a problem.
Speaker 3: You can return them even if you're not nervous for a month after you've had it. My understanding is with Costco there might be a way to return those eggs after you've eaten them.
Speaker 5: Yes, pretty much.
Speaker 4: What speaking of eggs, what lays eggs? Birds?
Speaker 6: Birds do in fact lay eggs? And is there any egg grander than that of the bald eagle? Not in this country. We made it official President Biden and the United States of America a new law in effect on Christmas Eve bestowing the honor of official National Bird to the white headed and yellow beaked bird of prey known as the bald eagle. The bird has been a national emblem in the US for years, appearing on the Great Seal. It's been used on US documents since seventeen eighty two, but it had never been officially designated the national bird until Congress passed the bill last week, saying it's to Biden's desk.
Speaker 5: How did that not happen for two hundred and fifty years?
Speaker 3: People are busy buy because in the early days of this country, a certain guy named maybe you've heard of him, Benjamin Franklin. Oh, yeah, him. He did not like the bald eagle being a symbol of the United States of America. Now, no one will be able to guess why. I would never be I would never be able to guess why. He was just so wild. There should have been some solidarity here.
Speaker 5: It is the most badass looking bird.
Speaker 3: He said that the bald eagle was a and I quote now from mister Kiteflyer himself.
Speaker 4: A bird of bad moral character.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, he thought the bald eagle was an air duell, a ruffian, you know, with the gambling, with the gambling and the hang and the breaking curfew and whatever else the bald eagle was doing.
Speaker 4: So you didn't You did not have.
Speaker 3: Unanimity amongst even the founding fathers about the bald eagle. Didn't didn't Franklin want the Turkey to be yes, wasn't he into the Turkey?
Speaker 5: I believe so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's why I guess it took to two d and fifty years. It's like, but wait a minute, he's been dead for It's not like he just died.
Speaker 3: And then the Congress is like, oh, finally Franklin is dead. We can make the bald eagle the official bird. No, he died a long time ago, Michael Monks.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir. So we've got that Starbucks strike that had been going on since last week. It's over now they're back to work. ABC News reports the strike lasted for days against Starbucks. It ended on Tuesday, Christmas Eve as those United Starbucks workers United Union workers went back. The strike involved workers at over three hundred stores and dozens of cities nationwide. We saw some stores here in Greater LA also impacted by this. Starbucks says, you know, this wasn't a big deal. You know, barely impacted our operations. And they also claim that the union's demands are ridiculous. They say, look, we we pay well enough, we offer benefits, we're a good company. But the union workers say, you'd like to negotiate on our wages and have better collective marketing.
Speaker 2: Did you hear the.
Speaker 7: Union guy what he said last night. I don't know if it was a I can't remember if it was a man or a woman, But whoever it was said, this is just the beginning. Well, I can only imagine what's gonna happen in the next few months.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's something that union and labor efforts here specifically in La that I've watched up close in personal over the past year covering news for KFI. They can be passionate and they can also be successful, but with a nationwide effort, I don't know that you have the same support for labor induced progress that you see here in La County. And I think you're going to talk about this in the next hour right way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just so happens that after your news we're talking about not just the Starbucks strike, but the Starbucks and the Amazon workers strikes, both of them timed for the holiday season, and what's going on and what the issues are and why it's gonna be a big uphill battle I think for both sets of workers. All Right, that was Handle on the news. Michael Monks has some news right now. This is the Bill Handle Show. It's KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app