Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp watch. Swamp is horrible, so government doesn't work. Good man, gonna make us like a reality TV show.
Speaker 3: Bad.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Hey, Joe.
Speaker 2: A town hall too.
Speaker 3: Clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 2: At a bunch of malwarkee what.
Speaker 1: He said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 2: I said, Oh, that's so hope.
Speaker 4: You know the thing.
Speaker 5: So a few things going on in terms of the election and the campaign and all of that stuff. Former President Trump and Vice President Harris both holding rallies in Milwaukee today. The candidates are converging on the state of Wisconsin. Washington Post polling average actually shows that Harris has a narrow lead in the state. She also has other campaign stops in Wisconsin today. Trump is also got some events in Michigan, and there are three new polls that indicate that Trump trails Harris in the battleground states that would be crucial for his path to victory. According to the latest set of Marist polls, Harris actually leads Trump in the Blue Wall states, the Michigan, Wisconsin, in Pennsylvania. Now, if you dig down deeper into those, Harris is actually a head by three points in Michigan, two points in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. And again that's just the Marist polls. All of those are within the margin of error for each pole. And if you look even deeper into that, when you look at average polls, for example, each of those states is a much slimmer margin than it was four years ago. Joe Biden led, for example, by eight points in I believe it was Michigan at this point four days out from the election, and did not win by that much. So there was an under count at least in that poll of Trump voters. So there is a possibility that the polls that we're seeing right now are actually undercounting Trump voters. So it's as close as it appears in the polls. We're gonna have to wait until Tuesday night maybe to see how things are going. But there is also a poll about polls, and half of Generation's Z voters said that they have lied about their votes. According to among the Gen Z voters in the survey, forty eight percent said they had previously lied to those with whom they are close about which candidates receive their votes, more than double the twenty three percent of registered voters across all age groups who say they're lying about who they're going to vote for. In the Axios survey, twenty two percent of registered voters said they might lie to someone close to them about their candidates that they cast their ballot for in the twenty twenty four elections. Seventy eight percent said that they would be honest about it if in fact they did so. One of the things that happens is on Tuesday. We've actually seen some stories about this kind of bubble up in a few areas about people being asked to take off election related or campaign related materials as they go to the polls. All states, every single one of them, has at least some restriction when it comes to voting in person. We've talked about this before. This is not a federal rule. The federal government allows the states to figure out how they're going to run these elections. Most states have rules about actively campaigning within a certain distance of a polling place. Some states have extended that rule to include a dress code one of those states. For example, New Jersey, there was an incident between an early voter and a poll worker that got national intention. A Reddit user posted a photo of a broad clad woman voting shirtless after a poll worker told her that the Trump shirt she was wearing violated the electioneering prohibitions, and according to the person who posted the image, that woman fired multiple expletives at the worker before she ripped off her shirt and says this is why she votes Trump, which doesn't make a lot of sense because Trump doesn't control the New Jersey state electioneering rules. But there are some restrictions of what you can do and wear inside a polling place. You cannot wear something that outwardly supports one candidate or the other in terms of a political cause. You probably could wear something like BLM or NRA or something like that, but as long as it's not specifically endorsing a particular candidate, then you're going to be able to get away from it. Coming up on a Monday night on News Nation, a one hour special called Driving the Vote. National correspondent Brian Enton for News Nation drove I eighty went through a bunch of different states and was talking with people about what's going on in their lives and how that impacts how they're going to vote coming up on Tuesday, and Brian joins us now to talk more about this. Brian, thanks for taking time.
Speaker 2: For us today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Obviously, I eighty has a terminus here in California, So California is one of these states that you're going to be talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was super interesting. We started in New Jersey and just sort of came up with this idea not to cover the campaigns and the rallies and the same stuff that everybody does, and to take id across the country. So we started on the East coast, took about ten days. We drove all the way across talking to voters and a lot of the swing states and throughout the entire country, and then we ended in California. We ended in San Francisco, which is right where aad drops off, and did a couple of stories there. Obviously, California known to be big blue state, but people think it's not that interesting politically, but it actually is. Some of the storylines in San Francisco with Asian Americans and the fact that you know, they flipped four seats red. California has twenty twenty, so that was sort of our focus for the ending of the series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is an expectation that some of those some of the control in the House could be determined by some of our wressional races on Tuesday. But other than that, there won't be a whole lot of surprises coming out of California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, not at all. It's funny some of our anchors were asking me about that, any kind of could there be a surprise of a red wave. I'm like, no, I don't think so, not in California, But yeah, you're right, I mean, you know, California and New Yorker, are you know to the big reasons, the main reasons that the House turned red last time. So the congressional races turn out to be pretty important, but obviously it won't have a huge impact on the presidential.
Speaker 5: You went through a couple of key states, battleground states potentially Pennsylvania and Nevada. Also, did you get the sense that voters in those states take it more seriously because of the importance of their role in terms of who deciding who the next president's going to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's an interesting question. You know, you don't realize until you're in those states for a couple of days, like just how inundated they are with election information. Like when you live at a battleground state like Pennsylvania or Nevada or North Carolina, Basically every single ad on TV and the radio has to do with the presidential race. They're getting text messages, nonstops, they're getting called, they're getting door knocks, they're signed everywhere. All of the billboards are either for Trump or Harris. So it's kind of impossible for them to ignore. So I got the sense that, yeah, they do take it pretty seriously or at least know what's going on. We also went through Nebraska. There's this congressional district called the Blue Dot in Omaha, which can turn out to be pretty important in presidential elections because they don't have a winner takes all state with the electors. So each congressional district there that can either go blue or red for president. And there's this one little district in Nebraska that sometimes goes blue. So that was another place where they's been inundated with information and with advertisements, and you can tell that people know, you know, know that they could really make a difference in those places.
Speaker 5: So along those lines, I mean you point out this the special way that Nebraska assigns its electors. I think Maine does something similar to that. Do you also get the sense that the electorate is knowledgeable about what happens? I mean that we have a good grasp of what the electoral college is about how individual states do things differently.
Speaker 3: I think so especially. I mean, like you said, Nebraska and mean are the only two where it's not winner take all. And they definitely knew in Nebraska, especially in Omaha, they're signed everywhere with the big blue dot. They knew that they could end up being very, very important, and they they've only gone blue a couple of times, but it's certainly a possibility. So they seem to know. And then in terms of like you said, in Pennsylvania and Nevada and some of these other places where where you know they're they're really important big swing states, I mean, the candidates are always passing through and they seem to know how the electoral college works. It was interesting just you know, different places had different issues the economy all the way across the country. I would say we got a sense was really important to people, and just you know, grocery bills and people would cry to us about you know that have kids and they can't save any money. And a lot of people who really liked Kambala Harris but we're just concerned about feel concerned about the economy. In Michigan, we talked to auto workers, a lot of Kambala Harris supporters, but they would say, you know, but my paycheck was bigger when Trump was president, or I had more overtime. So I'm kind of leaning towards voting for him, just based on that alone.
Speaker 5: All Right, Monday night again News Nation with it special Driving the Vote, one hour special. It will be on at six o'clock hour time on the couple of different places. Brian Enton is going to be the senior national correspondent that you'll see on there. Brian, thanks for taking time for us again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me. I appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 5: I want to remind everybody that next Friday, our next News and Bruis we're going to be live and Lujador Brewing in Chino Hills on Friday, November eighth. We're going to help them kick off the hops in the Hills Brewfest, which has taking place on Saturday. We're going to be out there on Friday, but on Saturday they're doing the Hops in the Hills Brewfest. Portion of the ticket sales will be donated to Chino Valley Fire Foundation. We will actually be giving away tickets to Hops in the Hills from out there in the Luchador Brewing facility there in Chino Hills again next Friday, Luchador Brewing in Chino Hills starting at nine am.
Speaker 1: One of the things that drives me a little insane at the airport is when you get in the queue for Southwest. You get in the queue right, and you've got your boarding pass, and let's say it's a thirty two. Actually that's a bad example. Let's go with a twenty six, and people are arriving, you get there. I usually get there early. I queue up pretty early. I'm not one of the first people, because that looks desperate. There's a whole psychology about how you get in line for a Southwest flight, right, and I have my boarding pass on my phone, right so everyone can kind of see I'm a twenty six.
Speaker 2: Isn't that that?
Speaker 5: It's also part of the game, Yeah, is kind of showing yeah, oh, showing the face of.
Speaker 1: Your totally like I can't figure it out. For years, I can't figure out the correct behavior.
Speaker 5: What Southwest should do is make those letters and numbers huge so that when you do flash your phone, it's clearly obvious, right, like.
Speaker 1: The like the the coaches on the sideline hold up like an A or a B or like that's the kind of sign we should have. But but some people they get in a queue and they and they don't show you, and you just I've gotten to the point where I can read people's faces that I know in a forty seven just got in front, just slid in front of me at a twenty five the area, like I could just see the guilt on your face every time. And it creates internal angst and frustration that does not need to exist, I think, because you can't call somebody out, You can't be like, oh, hey, so what's your number, because you don't want to be that person.
Speaker 2: Well I see that all.
Speaker 5: The time when I get when I get in Southwest, but people they mask it in the I mean almost a tone that you just used which was like, gosh, I don't even know where I am. What number, are you, Yeah, just exactly, just to call them out, but to pretend that they're just being curious or nice about it.
Speaker 1: Right, But that doesn't give you a good feeling either, which is probably why Southwest is changing their boarding process America Ya right, yeah, next year. Yeah, American Airlines is changing things up as well, trying to publicly shame you for.
Speaker 2: Doing this and jumping the line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they say they're cracking down on the line jumpers. All major US airlines do their best to maintain the boarding order because priority boarding is a perk for the frequent flyers and they don't want people jumping up for no reason. Credit card holders, big spenders obviously, and you can upgrade. Southwest even allows you to do something like this where you pay an extra thirty five bucks, you get to you you're guaranteed in the first fifteen seats or something like that. But American is the first to do an automated system that will flag you, and they're trying it out at a couple of airports, one in Tucson, Albuquerque and then also DC Passengers.
Speaker 2: And Boarding Group one.
Speaker 1: We're filing onto American Airlines flight twenty seven twenty one to Dallas on Friday when an ominous sound went off at Gate B eleven.
Speaker 2: I want to hear you do the sound. I've been trying to figure out how to do the sound.
Speaker 1: Dip dip, dip doop.
Speaker 2: Well that doesn't sound you do it. No, that sounded fine for me. No, I want you to do it. It's not gonna have come on. It's warm up for adult male theater.
Speaker 5: The biggest park of course of getting on early is going to be you get the overhead bin. You get the choice of overhead bin. No worries about gate checking your bag.
Speaker 2: But back to the dip dip to doup.
Speaker 1: That was audible for everyone in the gate area to hear. And what did it signify. It signified that a passenger was in group four and trying to get on.
Speaker 2: With group one. Right, they're publicly shaming you now.
Speaker 5: So But and if there is the only problem with it is if someone does genuinely make a mistake. I don't know how you could, considering the way that they bang you over the head with the instructions all the time. But if someone genuinely made a mistake, that's pretty embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It is, But you're also an adult get over it. So this is the sound just because I did a bad job of mimicking it. It's the sound of like when your AirPods run out of juice, or the game over music from an old video game.
Speaker 2: Dip Dip Dip Dude? Is that better? Yeah?
Speaker 5: They said that American is not telling passengers about this test before their flights. And I don't know if it's on every flight out of those airports or if it's just they're doing it every once in a while to kind of catch people off guard.
Speaker 1: Well, it puts the flight attendance or the gate agents in a bad place too, because do you let it slide? Because why who really cares it's one passenger that's getting on early? Or do you say no, wait your turn, and then you have to get into an unnecessary confrontation. Really, like Southwest, it's hit or miss. Sometimes he'll be like, sir, you're a forty five. This is the A one through thirty group. Get out of here.
Speaker 5: One guy who uses the workaround of if he gets into a later boarding group, he'll kind of sneak in. He's a photographer video marketing company out of Virginia, and he says he wants to be on those earlier groups because he doesn't want to check his camera bags full of all this electronic equipment at the gate. He wants to be able to carry it on, put it in the overhead and keep an eye on it.
Speaker 3: Bagus.
Speaker 2: And you've got to pay for the better group.
Speaker 5: Well, and he says he thinks this is he's been caught a couple of times he stepped out of line. He laughed about getting caught, and he says he's this is probably a way to get people to pay up for priority boarding. He says he's not going to pay. But he did finally sign up for the Loyalty program through American Airlines because members get free group six boarding regardless of their status. So you could just simply sign up and bump up a couple of classes, but a couple of boarding groups. He said, that's one group ahead of the regular main cabin customers who do not have status with the airline.
Speaker 1: He sounds awful. Chad sounds awful. The fact that Chad thinks he's special just because he has camera equipment and that he should for some reason not have to gate check his stuff because it's expensive, right, And the fact that he knows that you can just sign up for the loyalty problem because then you get to go in the group that right above the main cabin. Like the fact that you know that Chad makes you zero fun in real life.
Speaker 5: Why a writer for Wall Street Journal put this together, said, I counted as many as seven passengers on one flight boarding in the wrong group.
Speaker 4: Yeap.
Speaker 2: On another it was zero.
Speaker 5: But that math, no doubt changes at a busy hub like Chicago or Dallas, which is why they're trying it out in places like Albuquerque and Tucson because it's not a massive issue.
Speaker 1: I would totally be entertained by that by just going to a gate and watching people get caught and seeing what the face their faces look like like, if they feel shame, if they laugh.
Speaker 2: It off, just as.
Speaker 1: A psychological experiment, how people are publicly shamed.
Speaker 5: Well, even if you're flying on Southwest out of one of those places, you'd want to sit at one of these gates and watch the boarding gas.
Speaker 2: I totally would, just for the entertain I would do that. It's funny.
Speaker 5: I've realized that as we started the story, my kids don't know anything other than boarding and boarding groups like on Southwest we just don't go enough enough places anywhere, and where we do, it's usually on Southwest, So they're used to the twenty four hour pre game check in thing that they got to get there as quickly as possible and play that game of hitting the refreshed button as exactly when you need to do it. So corpor and Carson is down there among them. Corvin, what's going on.
Speaker 6: Man, Garyot's not overstating it to say, it's absolute pandemonium down here. Some fans have waited six hours at the end of the roof for the Dodgers World Series parade, which is running late but has finally got underway. People are sporting their Dodgers jerseys, waving banners and just enjoying the moment. These fans I talked to say that moment has been a dec I mean decades in the waiting.
Speaker 7: Very excited for first parade in thirty six years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Eight.
Speaker 7: My favorite part of the series was beating the Padres Game five. Absolutely that to me, had they made it past that, I thought they were gonna do it all and they did. The World Series was Game one, Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam, that that was the best World Series moment I've seen, and not only because I'm a Dodger fan, just as a baseball fan in general.
Speaker 2: Favorite player, favorite player.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have to go with mookis got He's got three rings. No, no, no other active player has three rings.
Speaker 6: So yeah, my unofficial poll has not escaped the Dodgers manager, which did catch a lot of flak, and I've asked some how they felt about manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: He definitely proved himself.
Speaker 4: You know, he's been getting criticism of the last couple of years, especially since twenty twenty, and they want to question you know, his role in the pitching rotation and managing the bullpen.
Speaker 2: I think he did a really good job this postseason.
Speaker 4: You know, he like didn't let the bullpen get get two deep insive games where we were just constantly like getting shut down, you know, even when pictures were struggling in the first inning. You know, he had the trust in them to just let them keep going as far as they could or at least for at least one more inning to where they could get somebody else ready. And then the bullpen just did really, really good this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so a lot of anticipation, anticipation out here, guys for the parade. People are not bothered in the slightest at the weight it's at the I'm at the end of the parade at Fifth and Flower, so we should expect that soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, listen, I am not a everybody knows I'm a Giants fan, so this hurts a little bit. But I'm glad that you've actually found legitimate baseball fans who know what they're talking about, and not just people are out there too. I mean, listen, you can go party if you want to, but they know what they're talking about.
Speaker 6: Some fans did tell me they loved their favorite part was the touchdown and that sort of Now they didn't do that, but some people really know what they're talking about here.
Speaker 5: That's great, all right, Corbyn, Thanks we appreciated. All right, Thanks Corbyn is again down there at the end of the parade route. Looks like they are just about to wrap up that portion of it as they make their way through downtown LA and then these buses carrying the players and their families and managers and coaches and all that sort of stuff is going to make its way make their way over to Dodger Stadium and our friend Tim Kate. You've been hearing them off and on over the last three weeks as we bring him in to talk about Dodger Playoff baseball and then World Series baseball. He's actually stationed at Dodger Stadium right now and he's been covering the games for a five seventy LA Sports So let's dip in and hear what they're talking about it.
Speaker 2: But they're in right now, as are the fans.
Speaker 9: Two million fans expected in the streets of LA and million stadium for the first World Series celebration in Dodger history since.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 9: Let's head back out to the parade row. Looks like Kirston Watson. Yep, she's ready to go, standing by with the MVP of the World Series, Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: Here's to take it away, Freddy.
Speaker 8: How amazing is this great?
Speaker 3: All these fans are you guys?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: This is incredible.
Speaker 2: LA really showed out today.
Speaker 8: Can you believe just not about thirty six hours ago you became a two time world terrace champions and now you're celebrating this moment.
Speaker 10: I know it's hard to believe. Really, I'll be sunk in yet but I think this is made up for twenty twenty two. These fans are going crazy and this is fun to.
Speaker 3: Be a part of.
Speaker 8: When you think about celebrating some of them, with all of these guys, what does it mean to you? And how special is this girl?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it means a lot.
Speaker 3: This is the hall for the fans though.
Speaker 10: Because you know, on those Tuesdays in June there's still fifty three thousand people at Dodger Stadium and that's what.
Speaker 2: It's all about.
Speaker 10: And they came out and support us and with these groupook guys.
Speaker 2: This is this is this is special.
Speaker 8: This is a long year for so many reasons. To be here to celebrate with your family, guys, can you believe it?
Speaker 10: It's hard to even put into words. Max is over here having a blast, Charlie's throwing things right here.
Speaker 3: It's been a long year.
Speaker 10: Because everybody's healthy on our bus and this makes everything so much better enjoying.
Speaker 8: All of these moments. I know it's other California. You can't get into us in LA.
Speaker 9: It's kind of be suessions.
Speaker 10: I know this is a meeting from time California and seeing a parade like this, this is even better.
Speaker 8: Congratulation. It's fready thank you yours all right.
Speaker 9: They're scarce to thank you very much. Freddie Freeman on one of the buses there on the parade route, which has now come to a stop as they try to clear a path for the Dodger caravan of double decker buses to get through. They have started and ended their parade now in fifth and Flower, and the Dodgers players are on the buses. We just heard from Freddie Freeman as they await at escort to get through the seam. Dodger fans walker Buellers David Vassa told us and broke the news earlier because that he is wearing Oral Hersheiser's nineteen eighty eight World Series gray jersey as he misses his way through the paraz.
Speaker 2: Is a host of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Tim Kates there across the hallway AM five seventy LA Sports. He's stationed out there at Dodger Stadium today, waiting again for the Dodgers double decker buses to make their way out to the stadium to take it to take the players to sold out Dodger Stadium by the way, for the ceremony that they're going to do a little bit later, so if you want to follow that. Of course, coverage of that championship celebration, AM five seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app used the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports presented in part by Yakult, the probiotic drink of the Dodgers. We're going to do our trending stories. We got some gas fantasy for play coming up. What you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show, and of course are nine news nuggets you need to know to wrap up the week. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.