Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle Here on a Tuesday morning, June twenty four. There is a tentative, fragile truce between Israel and Iran right now that President Trump, for the most part, is responsible for. And this morning going to Marine one to go to Andrews to get on Air Force one to go to the NATO meeting. Man he laid into Iran and particularly Israel. He was pretty upset that they weren't doing what he asked them to do. And what he's asking them to do is go ahead and submit to the agreement, the truce agreement. All right, Rich Demurle Tech Tuesday. Rich is heard every Saturday eleven am to two pm right here and on KLA every day, Instagram at rich on tech website, Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Rich, Good morning to you. Bill. Quick question and this one.
Speaker 2: I find fascinating that Applebee's and I Hop are testing AI in their restaurants.
Speaker 3: So let me get this. I don't see how it connects. Do you go.
Speaker 2: Into an I Hop and you say I'd like buttermilk pancakes and the AI says no, you don't. You want chocolate chip pancakes this time around, based on all of the information that's out there and how many times you've ordered pancakes, I don't quite understand how this connects.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, this is a trend that we're going to see at a lot of restaurants and in fact a lot of businesses anywhere that they have data that they can use on their customers. And so Dine Brands, which is based in Pasaden, owns Applebees and I Hop. Did you know that, by the way, they're the same company.
Speaker 3: No did not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there you go. Now you know it. So, yeah, Applebee's and ihop using this this AI technology. And so I'm guessing since they deployed tablets at these restaurants a while back, well recently, that's how they're going to do this. So they're adding a loyalty you know, like a loyalty membership kind of service where you you know, same thing like a Ralph's like a card, So it'll know who you are, what you've ordered in the past, and it also knows what other people are ordering. So of course on a Saturday morning at nine am, it knows the popular breakfast meals that people are doing, and it can also upsell you. So it's going to be a personalized personalization engine that will recommend not only meals but also deals based on what you've ordered before. That makes a lot of sense. And then of course they're also going to use this to upsell folks. So if you order, you know, the the like you said, the chocolate chip pancakes, they may say, well, last time you got bacon, why don't you try sausage this time? You know, whatever it is. So it's all about using that data to not only make the process easier for the customer of what they want to reorder and things like that, but also get them to try new things, try different things, try trending things, try things that are more expensive. And again, this is something we're seeing in the restaurant business in general. They're all embracing AI, you know, to get that bill higher.
Speaker 2: Is the world of waiters servers disappearing, where you order everything at the table and the only people there are the ones that are producing, are just moving the food to your table and don't get much money.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we're definitely seeing a trend towards quick service. People like the idea of quick service because it's that restaurant that you order at the you know, at the menu, you order at the counter, and then someone brings it out to your table. Personally, I like that because the quality of those restaurants that used to be just fast food restaurants that that would happen at. Now I feel like the quality of the quick service restaurant has gotten higher, but the prices are not as expensive as say a full service restaurant like an Applebee's or an ihop, so I think customers like it. We also know that restaurants are looking for various ways to save money, and so I've been in restaurants where they have robots delivering the food. You know, they roll around, even at a CPK, where you know, they put the food on the robot, the robot comes to your table, You take the food off the robot, and then the robot collects the plates as well. So I mean we're seeing all kinds of new ways of embracing technology at restaurants. Of course, it's every tech company I talk to says, no, no, we're not out there to replace, We're not out there to emplace replace human employees. But that sort of ends up happening of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean if you're at the table.
Speaker 2: One of the great things about and I do this at Chili's because you can order I believe it. Chili's off the computer, off that iPad thing, and that is you're not waiting for a server to come and take your order.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's done right there, and so it goes quicker.
Speaker 2: And then of course at the end and it's as would you like to tip starting at twenty percent? Now, uh, twenty twenty five percent? How about thirty percent? How about eighty percent?
Speaker 3: Tip? What do you think, Bill?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look the tipping. We know, the tipping thing has gotten out of control. I am. I am a big proponent of tipping folks. I love tipping folks. I think that if someone is grabbing a muffin out of a you know, a glass area for me and it takes them one second, and that's sort of like the job. You know, it doesn't feel right to tip thirty percent on that, But you know, at the end of the day, tipping is here to stay. Technology has definitely made it easier, and I think these might Bill. My theory with the whole tipping situation is this, you know all these all these tips come from those like the products, like the automated tablet services like the square, the point of sale services. I think the reason they like the tip so much is because they make a bigger percentage of that sale, Like they take a little a little percentage of that. And I think the more you tip, the more that company, whatever, that company handling the transaction, they get more money on the back end. So I think that's why they push tips out so much. Maybe the people get it all. I'm not sure, but it sure seems like these automation companies are really pushing the tips because they make more based on that on the total sales. But that's just the theory I have.
Speaker 2: My idea is when I'm not particularly thrilled the service, I still tip. But my tip is plant your corn in the spring and leave zero.
Speaker 3: That means there's my tip.
Speaker 4: Or in the spring. Yeah, leave like a tip, like a tip for growing your own food.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, I just leave a tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here you go change your oil regularly.
Speaker 4: That it works out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope you don't.
Speaker 2: Get that way, But that's at the end of the meal, that at the beginning, So they don't spit in the food rich Tesla now has the robotaxi service in Austin. Hey, have we hit critical mass yet or how close are we to hitting it? And all of a sudden it's hitting every city.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we've gotten there just yet, but I will tell you that there are a lot of robo taxi services that are coming online recently. We know in Los Angeles, Weimo is a big part of the landscape here. In fact, when tourists come to La that's one of the things that they make sure they put on their list, take a ride in that. And they've launched in other cities as well, So you've got a bunch of cities across America that do have a similar service, but it's not a majority of the major cities just yet. I know Weimo applied for a license in New York City, where you are not allowed to have self driving cars. But in Austin we've got the Tesla robo taxi. It's not exactly what was promised at the beginning. It's a very slow and small start. Ten to twenty cars operating invite only at this point. It runs daily from six am at midnight. It avoids all kinds of things, highways, airports, bad weather, tough intersections. There's still a safety operator. The ride price is pretty good four dollars twenty cents. If you this is funny bill. If you tap the tip button in the car, like at the end of your ride, you get a little message that says just kidding. So I do like that sense of humor there.
Speaker 3: Hey, you can't is this gonna one? Let me put it the other way. Is this going to put Uber lift out of business?
Speaker 4: Well, that's the interesting thing is that you know, Uber so far has not talked about their own self driving ambitions. A couple of many, many years ago, they had their own self driving car project. They ditched that and they said it was too expensive and unrealistic. And now all these other companies like away Mo, like a Zooke's, like a Tesla, they are coming up and doing their own self driving. So what's happened in a lot of these cities is that Uber is the app that lets you book the self driving So I don't I can't imagine that Uber is going to go out, but I do know that Uber has looked into the future and they know that a portion of rides a percentage of rides will be replaced by these automated robotaxis. What percentage of that of those rides and how long it's going to take for that to become one hundred percent, we don't know just yet, but I can guarantee that Uber and Lyft do not want to go out of business because of robotaxis. So they will find a way to either acquire these companies, acquire the startups that are doing this, or somehow be the platform that lets you book these robotaxis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never been in one.
Speaker 2: Isueimo completely self driving as it as if well or as no driver is there.
Speaker 3: There's no steering wheel.
Speaker 4: For example, there is a steering wheel they're using. They're using modified right now in LA they're using modified Jaguars. And then and they're also using this new car out of out of China. I believe it's called Zeker. And you know, so those are their two cars that they're using, and they are traditional cars. The Zeker is a little bit different looking. It looks more like a van, but you know, it's a traditional car with a steering wheel that moves. There's just no one in there except you, and so Bill, I would I would recommend you try it. I mean it is a little apprehensive at first because you're giving up full control and we know when you drive in LA there's a lot of wild stuff that happens. But you know, they have a decent track record. People seem to like it, and they do avoid certain things like, for instance, you can't go from the valley to the airport. I'm not even sure you can go to the airport at all in the Waimo right now. And so they do have these things locked in areas where they've identified that. You know, they perform quite well in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I and I use lyft I do.
Speaker 2: And in terms of apprehensive, boy, there's nothing more pleasant than talking to a lift driver who got here yesterday from Pakistan.
Speaker 3: That's a thrill.
Speaker 4: And well sometimes those people are better drivers than people that are in LA for a long time. So I will tell you the scariest thing I had happened to me Bill in an uber. Okay, I take Uber and left a lot. I was in an Uber in another city and I asked the person driving, I said, hey, you know, what is this area we're in? This looks pretty nice and they go, oh, I don't know. I'm just driving for my brother. So they were using their brother's app in their car to drive. The person was in the hospital, the actual driver, and so I was like, wait a second, what And so one thing to do always check the license plate, but check the picture of the driver. Make sure it actually looks like that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and I've never had that issue, but okay, that's some good advice. Real quickly, Samsung Foldable as a new foldable. I really enjoyed the foldables and they're so retro now of course, what's going on with that?
Speaker 4: I mean, Samsung's been doing these foldable smartphones for for seven years now, which is just wild. I mean it started, sorry, six years now, twenty nineteen they started. This is going to be their seventh generation of foldable phones. They will be unveiled at an event in Brooklyn, New York, on July ninth. We're going to get the z Flip seven and the Z Fold seven slimmer, better cameras and bill. You know, one opens up like a book, the other sort of like a reporter's notebook. I guess one flips up, one flips open.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're not talking about the old phones and when I think a foldable. I think about the phones that you know, flip open and you it's top to bottom and.
Speaker 3: They're small and you put them up to your ear, you know, the way those first phones don't even know what they're called.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Motorola, like the razor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the original motorola.
Speaker 4: Yeah. These they do have one model, the flip seven is like that where it flips open, like the old school flip phone, like you you know, you called a you know, clamshell phone. Yes, that's the small one, but it's not that, you know, it doesn't have the dialer like you would imagine, you know, like that's the true old school flip phone. But those are making a comeback, and for sure people do like those because you know, we're getting this overload with technology and people sort of like the idea of going back to the old school flip phone. So those are selling pretty well as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've ready talked about retro and I remember the phones. I'm assuming you were around when it was a big block half the size of the phone book. Oh yeah, Tennis sticking out. No, that's great, boy. You look at technology all right, Rich, thank you. We will catch you this weekend.
Speaker 2: And as always on KTLA, I have a good one.
Speaker 4: Thanks Bill.
Speaker 2: All right, there is actually a study, several studies about flakiness out there. Not flakiness on biscuits, flakiness on you make plans with a buddy and then at the last moment you bail.
Speaker 3: You're a flake And why.
Speaker 2: Is this important? Well, first of all, flaking this can't harm a friendship. Yeah, you flake out enough and that's a problem. And couple that with loneliness increasing.
Speaker 3: We know that. So the question is how often can you cancel?
Speaker 2: And the best way to do it? And by the way, this is no small thing. I mean, psychologists, I've looked at this and we've all been there. You make plans with a friend and suddenly your phone rings. Right, Hey, I've had the longest day and I feel I just have to be in my pajamas or a message from a friend. Hey, let's try again real soon. I can't make it tonight. Well, you've just been flaked on and it hurts. Danielle Jackson, a friendship coach in Tampa, Florida.
Speaker 3: What is a friendship coach?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've interviewed a couple friendship coaches and I hated them, this is the last person I want to be a friend with, So I don't get I guess people make livings doing this. Go figure anyway. The friendship coach Danielle Jackson, and she's in Tampa, Florida. It says, you wonder if a person's invested in you or respects your time, and you feel like, you know, I'm not gonna put myself in that position again, you know, being flaked on, And she says, understandable to feel angry makes sense, hurt or embarrassed when someone flakes that on you, and you may want to write that person out of your life entirely, especially if it happens more than once or twice. However, the study show not all flaking is the same.
Speaker 3: How many times is too many times?
Speaker 2: And the answer is context matters like everything else in life, and usually when someone flakes, it may not be about the person who they're flaking from. It's about them now. They're just not into it. Something happened to them. And she said it depends on the background of the friendship. And do you have the right to flake, because that's a big deal. On a certain level. You're given a right and tenure as long as they show up for the big things, and whether you're thinking about flaking, it doesn't matter which side of it is on.
Speaker 3: That's not trivial.
Speaker 2: There are studies over the past two decades have demonstrated that healthy friendships are an important role in both well being and longevity. I have no idea what that is like healthy friendships.
Speaker 3: People with close.
Speaker 2: Friends are more satisfied with their laws, less likely to suffer from depression.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: I'm actually depressed when I have a friend, So I don't quite understand this either. Also, people with close friendships are less likely to die from all causes.
Speaker 3: Including heart problems and a range of chronic diseases.
Speaker 2: You know, I've always wondered about that, Right, Certain things make you less likely to die. You have a dog, and you're more likely to survive a longer time. In this case, you have friends and you feel better, or you're married and you're going to last a longer time, or you drink coffee and you're going to last a longer time. Yeah, So the researchers at this point, because as I told you, this is real science. Note, at the same time, Americans, particularly young Americans, you are experiencing high amounts of loneliness. And what ends up happening is people are canceling plans more and more, and the researchers are connecting that with your own feeling of loneliness. And as a matter of fact, you go to TikTok and there are tons of tons of videos from gen Z folks on setting boundaries. That's the other thing, and you have to understand there may be a real personal cost keeping a dinner date. Here's the other thing is if you're thinking of flaking, you know what, make sure it's a good reason to flake, because flakiness really does affect people more and more. There was a survey Michigan State University's professor Bill Chopik eleveety two people, which means that it's significance statistically significant, and respondents were asked to share how upset they feel when someone flakes on them. And here are the rules. Cancelations are the least hurtful when this is happening. If you have to cancel plans with someone but want to preserve the friendship, Number one, don't cancel it the last minute, don't lie about it, and make sure you have a good reason for canceling here's the question in terms of not lying about it. Do you really want to say, I just don't want to see you. I'm just not interested tonight, as opposed to, oh my god, I'm throwing up, I don't feel good, I'm puking my brains out, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Which way would you go on that I'd lie?
Speaker 5: Neil, Would you tell the truth? Why would you not tell the truth? Yes, as in, I don't want to see you tonight. I'm sick of you this week.
Speaker 3: I've had enough of you. You mean about it? Yeah, I'm not mean. That's the truth.
Speaker 1: If I'm in that state, then that's not a friend. Yeah, but I don't want.
Speaker 6: To see somebody. But here's the thing. You know what I would tell my boss if if I don't like to call in sick. If I'm not sick, So if I wasn't ready for the day, I'd be like, you know what, my head is not in the space today. I would prefer that than telling someone I'm sick when I'm not.
Speaker 1: And I would tell a friend.
Speaker 3: So I just tell you know, But that's one is your job. The other one is a friend.
Speaker 6: No, But I'm saying across the board, be honest about it and say, hey, listen, I'm just disagree the day got away.
Speaker 2: From me, or I disagree. Honesty is never the best policy.
Speaker 1: Well not with you.
Speaker 3: I lie to you, thank you, and I lie to you. So there we go. This it's like small claims court.
Speaker 2: When someone asked me about small claims court on handle on the law, I go, it's not small claims court, it's liar's court. And as a matter of fact, what you do is you go in and everybody has sworn in at the same time, uh you know, the bailiffs has everybody raise their hand in in the courtroom and the same admonition, and that is, do you promise to lie?
Speaker 3: Do nothing but lie? So help you god, I do all right.
Speaker 2: Moving on to our last topic, and that it has to do with La hotel owners in complete revolt.
Speaker 3: And why is that well coming up?
Speaker 2: I think by twenty twenty eight it's going to be thirty dollars an hour minimum wage to owners of hotels. And what they're doing, they're saying, this is crazy. Now, it was supposed to be a great time to own a hotel in La because look at the events that are coming here.
Speaker 3: World Cup Soccer Games next.
Speaker 2: Year, the Super Bowl the following year, twenty twenty eight, the Summer Olympics. So it's thirty dollars an hour and they're going nuts. Let's start with a philosophy that I have. Number One, I have a very very tough time with people not making enough money to eat if they're working full time, which is what happens in our society, particularly southern California, because it's so expensive. Number Two, you could in the old days buy even a house. You know, you go to Carroll Street, that in downtown La, all the old homes that turned the last century. One of the homes was owned by a milkman, very modest salary.
Speaker 3: He owned a home.
Speaker 2: Try doing that today. So, Neil, you're tied into all this. Your take on thirty dollars an hour? And how does a hotel? How does a restaurant survive?
Speaker 6: Well, they don't without cranking up their costs. The margins are tiny. They're not what people think food is not. A restaurants don't make a ton of money. They just don't. Mike, my biggest concern is that is I look at the United States as a ladder that starts run by I wrung and it used to be that we would add rungs as we go to climb that ladder, and now I feel like we're cutting rungs off the bottom so people can reach the new rung and in doing that nothing, nothing really changes. So I'd rather train that person to get a better wage in a better job and use it as cycle. Then uh, then just throw money at them. It's the same thing. I think it's racist as hell that people are like, oh, we need immigrants here because someone needs to pick, you know, the strawberries. It's like, that's asinine. So Mexicans only want to pick strawberries. They don't need doctors and lawyers and grow it in the you know, boy.
Speaker 2: We can have we can have an entire discussion about that and culturally.
Speaker 6: What Mexicans let me Tinos want when they got Okay, let.
Speaker 3: Me but let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, in terms of you have a migrant farm worker whose kid wants to be a doctor, wants to be to go to a good loss or a good medical school, you can't get in any way, even if you're top of the class, and so that becomes almost imposible.
Speaker 6: Why'd you arguing for field workers to make thirty bucks an hour.
Speaker 3: I think I have no problem with that.
Speaker 6: I think then then you're gonna have Americans wanting those jobs.
Speaker 3: I don't know. The whole maybe is maybe why with them?
Speaker 6: Why people are worth what they're worth with their skill set period, and I mean, just get add worth to them, and they haven't added a thing to their skill set. We're going to be screwed as a country. Were making as somebody that knows how to do anything. If you're waiting for the government to give them, Okay.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to finish with this because of course I get the last word, and that is you're assuming that everybody can move up, and that's simply not true. Some people don't have the wherewithal and they just aren't going to.
Speaker 3: Be able to move up.
Speaker 2: How many people you take one hundred work uh in fast food?
Speaker 3: How many of them are going to reach management? It's not automatic. It never is automatic.
Speaker 1: That everybody's stupid, you know.
Speaker 6: They no, I'm you're stupid rich and you've got the left of plays to the poor and they're both stupid.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm I'm out of here now, and Neil has to go get his just as why Neil is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Neil is going to his jack in the box job, but he's hoping to become an assistant manager by next week.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 1: I've always become a manager at every job I ever started.
Speaker 3: But that's because you.
Speaker 6: Because because of you, Neil, because you have to suffer from anything special, doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You have the skill set. Oh stop it.
Speaker 6: My father didn't even graduate high school. He got through the seventh or eighth grade. I don't come from anything special.
Speaker 2: I'm reading a biography Andrew Carnegie who had no schooling and he became the richest man in the world. Okay in the eighteen nineties. Okay, how's that? All he had to do was move up the rungs, which he did. Are done tomorrow morning. It's why don't we start again? Wake up call with Amy and Will and then Neil and I jump aboard and we yeah the Raspberry.
Speaker 3: And Neil and I jump aboard.
Speaker 2: It's from six to nine, and then of course we've got in and we've got what's his face?
Speaker 3: Kno on the show, and.
Speaker 2: That's it Gary and Shannon up next, KFI am six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle show catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app