Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon, This is the GYMP in Valencia.
Speaker 3: I like that you're talking about the Hart Mountain with you.
Speaker 2: I'm from Atlanta, and like, I like hearing all the people call up in the South.
Speaker 3: With their accent because that then you know, all the time.
Speaker 2: Start speaking with an accent. Anyway, y'all have a great day, y'all.
Speaker 1: I started saying y'all. I got called out on it at the stadium when I was like, thank you. It's like, it's like that that Southern accent. It just kind of you sit in it for a while and it just kind of rubs off a little bit.
Speaker 2: And then you go to Pittsburgh people think you're a bumpkin. Hey, Shannon, hate to correct you. Bet you Who's not chocolate milk. It's a chocolate drink mainly water, no milk in it at all. I looked it up. Water is what's in you? Who?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Water, high fruitos corn syrup, way less than two percent of cocoa, non fat, dry milk, natural and artificial flavors, sodium cassi in.
Speaker 4: Eight something for everybody is all I'm hearing.
Speaker 3: Corn syrup, solids, ye, calcium phosphate, die potassium phosphate, palm oil, guar, gum, x anthon, gum, mono and diglyceride, salt, spice, soy less than nia s sinamide which is vitamin B three, superlos vitamin A palmitate, diabetes ribal flavor which is vitamin B two and vitamin D three.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: To be honest and full disclosure, I don't know if I've had a Yahoo I you who I. I was a Neslee's powder in the milk person.
Speaker 4: My grandparents would how are the syrup powder?
Speaker 2: Oh? Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They had the canister of the Nesley powder and I would spoon that into the milk.
Speaker 2: I had the Hershey's squirty stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: There is not an ounce of anything natural in that.
Speaker 4: I feel like I was.
Speaker 1: I feel like I was more healthy with the powder, but it was probably the same damn stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, It's just a powdered version. It's time for Swamp Watch. Swamp is horrible. The government, We're come man, We're gonna make this like a reality TV show. Was a bad news.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: A jel, a town.
Speaker 5: Hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 4: I have a watch of malarkey, he said, drain the swamp.
Speaker 2: I said, Oh, that's so hope keep happens.
Speaker 3: You know the thing, Well, this week you in General Assembly, we're gonna have a lot of dignitaries in the United States. Today President Biden sat down and talked with the President of the United Arab Emirates, Sheik Mohammad bin Zayed, after Israeli airstrikes. We do know that that meeting took place, but in terms of what we're doing, it's just basically that the President wants to de escalate tensions there in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that news brief.
Speaker 3: This is sort of a In the next segment, I wanted to read for you part of this article that I found today, and it's unseerious candidates in a seriously dangerous world. You look at the two candidates at the top of the two major parties right now, and there's not a lot of confidence in either one of them to handle the potential crises. The temperature that has been turned up in some of the foreign relations places that we need to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: There was an article in Politico about grocery prices, what presidents can and can't do to lower grocery prices, that the next president will have few options to significantly or quickly lower food costs, although voters believe otherwise. This is something I've been harping on for months, a couple of years now, where it's just you thought that the prices, the inflation slash shrink flation, we're going to go down.
Speaker 4: They have not.
Speaker 1: Who's taking advantage of that? I don't know, but we've got to do something. There's really not a lot that can be done. Is as the majority of US consumers believe elected officials, one party or the other can help lower grocery bills, an expectation that could help help swing the election, but the truth they write is likely to disappoint them. Despite what both Harris and Trump are promising on the campaign trail, they really whoever the next leader is, has very limited options to lower food costs. It's not going to be a widespread way, and it's not going to be quick. It'll be some time before if there is change made that we feel it in the grocery store.
Speaker 2: And it's one of those.
Speaker 3: It's a third rail basically because if you do try to control prices from the executive branch of the government, how is that not just communism or socialists? Yeah, I mean that's the issue, is that you can't You can complain about inflation and tr inflation, like you said, but then over manipulating the market is not what we're about.
Speaker 2: No, and never really have been.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump said yesterday he doesn't think he'd run again for president in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: No, don't. I think that will be that will be it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And for two reasons this thing is making headlines. One, he would rule out this fourth bid for a White House. But this is also that sort of very rare time when he says that it's a possibility that he would lose the upcoming election. This is as rare as when he admits that he lost in twenty twenty. That those kinds of things don't happen very often. And I don't know if it's just a matter of him misspeaking, or if it's him having some amount of foot in the real world kind of thing. It was about a twenty two minute interview he defended his record on COVID. He took credit for development of the vaccines developed during his presidency, also saying that they're doing studies on the vaccines and we're going to find.
Speaker 2: Out if they're safe. Wait a minute, that was four years ago. I thought they were safe.
Speaker 3: I thought you determined that, and now we're still having the discussion about whether.
Speaker 2: Or not they were safe. That's always fun.
Speaker 3: In terms of the latest polls that have come out, the New York Times Sana College poll found that Trump has now a five point lead in Arizona over Kamala Harris, five points that went to Biden four years ago, a four point lead in Georgia over Harris that also went to Biden in twenty twenty. And in North Carolina, Trump does have a two point margin, which is closer than it's more notable, I suppose, because North Carolina hasn't voted for a Democrat since two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: That's the latest. A quick note.
Speaker 3: Also, congressional leaders announced an agreement on a short term spending bill. There will be no federal government shutdown, at least not this week or next.
Speaker 1: Okay, so coming up this hour, we've got a couple mysteries that we're going to get to the bottom too, or try to. And we told you about that alone judge in rural Kentucky, which sounds like an oxymoron being shot and killed in his chambers by a local sheriff. We're now hearing that too. Have been friends for a long time. As you can imagine, small town situation. They're very protective there at the small town over gossip and people.
Speaker 4: Coming and calling about what went down.
Speaker 1: These two apparently married sisters at one point, So we'll tell you about that. Also, that super yacht that was sunk in Apparently it's believed to have contained watertight safes with sensitive intelligence data.
Speaker 2: I knew it, did you know? Oh, but that would be fun.
Speaker 3: One of the other political scandals that's going on right now is Mark Robinson. This is the lieutenant governor in North Carolina who is running for governor. A bunch of people on his campaign team resigned three days after he had to deny making years old posts on a pornographic website. The general consultant and senior advisor, a campaign manager, a finance director, and a deputy campaign manager all stepped down. Just a couple of weeks now before the election. He has vowed not to exit the race. He has remained defiant, and he has stated that there will be new incoming staff members moving their way up the ranks of the campaign a campaign. The problem with the timing of this is that absentee ballots go out this week to voters who requested them. They've already been sent to military overseas voters over the weekend. Polling in recent weeks has shown him down by more than a dozen points, in some cases, trailing Josh Stein, who is currently the Attorney General. The news reports last week, most of them from CNN, talked about his past online activities, including making posts on a pornographic website Nude Africa, said that he enjoys watching training on girl porn and that he wears that he was a black Nazi, among other things. He supposedly had an account registered on Ashley Madison, a website for married people looking for affairs. He has denied all of that. He has denied making any posts, says he has never signed up for that website.
Speaker 1: This is an article out of the National Review about unseerious candidates in a seriously Dangerous world, and it starts this way. On the campaign trail, it's all coconut tree memes and Oprah touting joy that's on the Hair side and official coins designed by me and gold sneakers on the Trump side.
Speaker 4: Rates.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, US commercial airline pilots are experiencing more GPS jamming when they fly internationally. North Koreans are conning US companies out of cash through fraudulent remote work schemes. China's outpacing the US has negated our military advantage in the Western.
Speaker 4: Pacific, and oh right, the Middle East.
Speaker 3: This is sort of the worst version of nobody messes with my family but me like, you can fight within your family and say siblings, right, You're going to continue to bicker with your siblings, for that's what you do. But if somebody ever picks a fight with your brother or your sister, you.
Speaker 2: Defend them, yes, at all costs.
Speaker 3: Sure, now, this is sort of that version of that where we are now bickering with each other, but we're forgetting that there are outside threats to this country that threaten not just your sibling but you also and we're not doing anything about them.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't say we're not doing anything.
Speaker 3: It does not appear that the two main candidates want to do anything about them.
Speaker 1: Noah Rothman offers this grim assessment. Kamala Harris cannot say that she wants America's most stalwart ally in the Middle East to win its war against Iran backed terrorists. Donald Trump will not say that he wants a Western facing country which is being dismembered by one of America's oldest enemies, to win its righteous war of self defense. Both campaigns pay lip service to the need to confront China without leveling with us, the American people, about what it would take to achieve these executive objectives. Say these maybe serious times, but they have not generated commensurate seriousness in our politics.
Speaker 3: And pray that it doesn't take some ridiculous disaster for America to come to its census. I mean, we saw un paralleled, at least in our lifetimes, obviously unparalleled.
Speaker 2: What would be the.
Speaker 3: Togetherness after the September eleventh attack? Right the community that was the United States of America was on fire at that time, in those months, the very end of two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: I wasn't paying enough attention, being a twenty year old at the time, but was it like this was it this bad because like, I don't think even nine to eleven could bring us together.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great point. It was not that we were as divided. I mean, we've always been divided. It's what has defined our country. It's what makes us that bickering sibling that we are with each other. That's kind of a given. But it just felt like we got lazy, We got kind of lazy about what was going on around the world and assumed that we were not vulnerable here at home. That proved to a lot of people that we absolutely are vulnerable to even a very low tech version of a terrorist attack, which in all honesty, that was a low tech version. You mentioned these pilots that are now talking, you know, about having airliners have their GPS completely scrambled.
Speaker 1: With right American Airlines Captain Dan Carey knew his cockpit equipment was lining to him when an alert began blaring. Pull up as his Boeing Triple seven passed over Pakistan in March. An altitude of thirty two thousand is what he was cruising at, far above any terrain is The warning stem from a kind of electronic warfare that hundreds of civilian pilots encounter each day GPS spoofing. The alert turned out to be false, but illustrated how fake signals that militaries use to warn off drones and missiles are also permeating growing numbers of commercial aircraft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not a gradual thing. In February there were a few dozen instances of this GPS spoofing affecting commercial aircraft. It was eleven hundred last month, eleven hundred. We just saw, I mean, we are arguably on their side, but we just saw Israel detonate thousands of small bombs that they had gotten into the Hesbola's hands over the course of the last year or so. What makes us think that we would be immune to it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look at you know, the movements we've seen near the Aleutian Islands and what's going on there. It's almost like a global shell game of risk where where we're not paying attention, or the powers that be are not paying attention, maybe because we've got weekend of Bernie's administration or what have you. The infighting between democratocrats and Republicans pointing fingers. The world's taking notice and they're on the move.
Speaker 3: The one thing that has happened is that the Biden administration has been talking about banning components built in Russia or China from connected vehicles those cars. Every car now is going to have an Internet connection, it's going to have a GPS locator, it's going to have all of this stuff in it. And they're talking about making sure that the components built in China and Russia, which could potentially house sort of that sleeper mechanism, that that stuff is banned from connected vehicles going forward. There's at least that, but it's still not enough in terms of the potential threats that do exist outside.
Speaker 1: Do you want your jeopardy question? Oh yes, okay, get off.
Speaker 4: The dark web.
Speaker 2: I was trying to find the Lieutenant governor of North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Oh time to fall into autumn for two hundred dollars. Baby boo and autumn gold, or varieties of this gourd that's popular during fall holidays.
Speaker 2: The pumpkin.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, don't ever think it. I didn't know pumpkins had names.
Speaker 2: Of those are so bad.
Speaker 4: Baby boo, pumpkin.
Speaker 1: Oh, this shows up on Urban Dictionary, the baby boo or the white pumpkins.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my wife has a handful of those on our table already. Yeah, we put out some of the week. She put out some of the Halloween decorations because there's kind of that dead part between August and September when you wanted to be a little cooler and chillier, Right, the only way to actually push that is to actually put some Halloween decorations up.
Speaker 2: And the included the little baby bit.
Speaker 1: That's how your wife praise to the rain gods with baby boot pumpkins.
Speaker 3: Yes, that and the the dog skeleton that we have that we put out.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's not really not what you think.
Speaker 4: Dog died.
Speaker 3: That dog was was cremated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's creepy, kind of creepy.
Speaker 2: It's a plastic skeleton dog.
Speaker 1: I didn't The autumn gold is just like the every day kind of pumpkin.
Speaker 4: You get the pumpkin patch pumpkin. Yeah. How many types of pumpkins do you think there are?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Gosh, there's just I've never thought about such an intriguing question.
Speaker 2: How many kinds of pumpkins are there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't nimes of pumpkins are there?
Speaker 2: Eighty?
Speaker 1: There are over one hundred and fifty varieties of pumpkins, different varieties for each season. Did you know they're technically a fruit? Technically a fruit, yes, but actually a winter squash in the cue cer bitasa family. It also includes cucumbers and melons.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: Some names include Hooligan, cotton candy, Orange Smoothie, Long Island Cheese, sugar Pie, pumpkin, Happy Jack Prize winner, fascinating.
Speaker 2: Long Island Cheese. I'd be interested in that.
Speaker 1: That's an heirloom pumpkin with a smooth flesh and string free interior a high nutritional content. It's named for its wide, flat shape, which resembles a wheel of cheese, so it doesn't taste like cheese.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately for you, Italian prosecutors have opened up a criminal investigation into multiple charges of manslaughter and negligent shipwreck in the Baysian sinking.
Speaker 2: This is the superacht, this forty.
Speaker 3: One million dollar one hundred and eighty four foot yacht that went down one hundred and sixty four feet the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea. And there is a concern that inside the high security vault on this super yacht are a couple of hard drives, encryptied hard drives that hold highly classified information including past coodes sensitive data and if you're a fan of any of the Mission Impossible movies, a full knock list the people who have what is a knock list?
Speaker 2: Does it non operative cover something like that?
Speaker 3: Basically it explains who's a secret agent and what their fake identity is.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that Ethan is trying to get all the time. It seems like Ethan played by Tom Cruise. Now they said that the British tycoon Mike Lynch, British tech tycoon, was associated with British, American and other intelligence services through his various companies, including a cyber security company that he founded called dark Trace. Oh yeah, that sounds exactly like it came from a spy novel. That company was sold to a Chicago based private equity firm. Lynch's wife's company, Rev Tom Limited, owned the actual ship itself was an advisor to British Prime Ministers David Cameron and Teresa May.
Speaker 2: According to the British government.
Speaker 1: So Lynch and his eighteen year old daughter Hannah died. Attorney American attorney Chris Marvillo, his wife, British banker Jonathan Bloomer, his wife Judy, the onboard chef.
Speaker 4: They all died.
Speaker 1: There were fourteen others who survived along with Lynch's wife and some of the survivors and reportedly told prosecutors that Lynch did not trust cloud services and always kept data drives in a secure compartment of the yacht wherever he sailed.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Some of these, some of these survivors may have secrets, perhaps.
Speaker 2: That they don't want released.
Speaker 3: There's a you would assume that if a ship goes down like this, a yacht goes down, everybody drowns, right all I mean those that die end up drowning, they said. The preliminary autopsies were are showed that the couples, the Bloomer and Morvillo couples died of suffocation or dry drowning when the oxygen and an air bubble and a sleeping cabin ran out because they weren't rescued. Autopsy results for Lynch and his daughter were less clear. The chef the body was actually found outside of the yacht, and they said that that one was pretty clear died by drowning. None of them had suffered any physical injuries when the boat went down, so they're still trying to figure out exactly what happened. The Baysi and take a few hours before Chamberlain died in the hospital, Lynch would not have known about his partner's death, and Chamberlain was in a coma so would not have known about the shipwreck apparently. But that's just a strange little coincidence, isn't it that he died on the same day that the yacht sank, hiding a couple of super encrypted hard drives, but may be very valuable to Western intelligence agencies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've asked for more security around this. They of course had security around the yacht because they figured people would go in for jewelry and money and all the other things rich people travel with. But now they requested additional security to guard in case foreign governments want access to this data.
Speaker 2: And you know what they're going to do.
Speaker 3: They're going to say, oh, we have to be super careful because we don't want the fuel or the oil to spill out into the ocean that's still on board. So we're going to have to be very careful about how we bring this yacht back. This is a book you would read, for sure. I'm trying to figure out which author or would do this. I don't know if this is Jack Car could be a Jack Carr novel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we still have work to do on space wars, So why don't you just pump the brakes a little bit on your spot them? All Right, There's a carnival pumpkin, a sweet dumpling pumpkin, Jaradale pumpkin, Cinderella pumpkin, a black footsoup pumpkin, buckskin, pumpkin, spaghetti pumpkin, baby bear pumpkin, great white.
Speaker 4: Pumpkin's puk black peanut pumpkin.
Speaker 2: You're gonna do all one but.
Speaker 4: Black and silver pumpkin.
Speaker 6: I know that I have listened to you guys for such a long time that when you guys start talking about a variety of pumpkins and how many they are, it completely brings me back to when y'all were see y'all Now I'm doing that too, When you guys were going through the apples sat you guys were so obsessed with different types of apples, and I think Shannon would eat one and it was just apple craziness.
Speaker 2: There was apple crazy.
Speaker 1: We went through a period of apple We had an apple every day for a long time.
Speaker 4: We don't do that anymore. We don't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: Were gonna have apples in a long time.
Speaker 1: We should get back into apples. We we We sidelined the apples for some green tea for a few months. You don't remember you started the green tea thing.
Speaker 3: I made it a good probably eight months with one cup of green tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah a day, right, and then I we need a new obsession. Maybe it's pumpkins.
Speaker 2: Could you do with it?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Look at it, spin it around.
Speaker 2: That sounds like fun.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump says he won't run again if he loses in November. Says, I think that would be it were his words. In the meantime, the man suspected of that assassination attempt against Trump from the golf course left a letter detailing his plans, saying he intended to kill Trump on behalf of Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Former President Trump is had to Pennsylvania for a policy event this afternoon. He's going to hold a rally tonight. Kamala Harris doesn't have any campaign events scheduled today. I understand she's supposed to meet with the president of the UAE today after President Biden did, and then she is going to be in Pennsylvania Wednesday, and then heads out west later this week.
Speaker 1: We reported to you last week a judge in Kentucky was shot and killed in his chambers in the courthouse, and a local sheriff was charged with his murder. It's a very small town population of about seventeen one hundred people this place, it's called Whitesburg, Kentucky, southeast of Lexington, and people are being very closed off when it comes to people digging into what happened. These two, the judge and the sheriff, had been friends four years, worked side by side at one time in the county courthouse. In fact, the sheriff was the judge's bailiff at one point, still in charge of the judge's salary. To u high profile elected officials in a town where everyone knows one another. And that's why it's so odd that the sheriff, Sean Mickey Steins, walked into the chambers, pulled out a gun and killed district Judge Kevin Mullins. Unprecedented. This kind of town goes years without a homicide.
Speaker 3: The sheriff had been deposed earlier in the week in a lawsuit that was filed by two women. One of them alleged that a deputy not the sheriff, but a deputy had forced her to have sex inside the judge's chambers for six months in exchange for staying out of jail. And the lawsuit said that the sheriff may it did accuse the sheriff of deliberate indifference in failing to adequately train and supervise the deputy. That now former deputy has already pleaded guilty. He's sentenced to six months in jail six and a half years probation for a series of charges. This second woman apparently had already died by the time this lawsuit came to fruition, so it doesn't she's.
Speaker 2: Not part of it anymore.
Speaker 3: But so the sheriff fired that deputy who succeeded him as the judge's bailiff. So there's this triangle of relationship here. But it fired the deputy for conduct unbecoming after the lawsuit was filed a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: It seems like the judge knowingly let his deputy coerce these women in sex in his chambers, is it not, and that the sheriff didn't like that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's possible.
Speaker 3: There were also witnesses who said that they saw Judge Mullins and Sheriff Steins together just before noon on Thursday.
Speaker 4: They were supposed to go to lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're about three hours before the shooting.
Speaker 3: And said they went into the judges chambers to ask him to sign some papers and they were getting ready to go out to lunch together. This witness walked in there and he said it seemed like an ordinary interaction. It's accept that the sheriff seemed quieter than usual, and he said he thought the pair had a good working relationship. They didn't know anything that could have prompted the violent encounter.
Speaker 1: The county's council attorney, Matt Butler, has recused himself from the case because yes, small town right. He's got long family ties with a judge. The two once married to a pair of sisters. He says his two daughters called the judge unkie, and he is being very closed off. He says that he posted it on social media that he would not be a source of gossip and asked everybody in this community to be the same.
Speaker 4: Do the same.
Speaker 1: Do not give my cell phone number to people, don't let people into our community if you're only looking to gossip. He said, or be a troublemaker or a stir or up of gossip. Leave me out of that conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Maan, I guess it had to be something like what you suggested. That the judge may have known that this deputy was using his chain.
Speaker 2: Right like that.
Speaker 1: But this judge had no public discipline history. He had a reputation in the country of working with drug offenders to get them into treatment instead of jails. The sheriff had friends all over town. Ben a fixture for decades, working for years as a bailiff in that courtroom before winning the race for sheriff in twenty eighteen. They said that this guy, you know, the sheriff, was always offering up a big hug that he would say, you know, do you need anything, If you need anything, call me, she said, No matter how many times I saw him in a day, it was always a hug, and those were always the specific words that he would say, do you need anything, let me know.
Speaker 2: This is one of those stories that's it will be.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's more. There's a lot more. There's a lot more, all right, trending stories. We got gas Fantasy for play, we got mixtape Monday, all coming up. Still on the Gary and Shannon School. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.