Speaker 1: Cass smashed Saints. What's going on? Huddersfield lost again? Are they well and truly gone? Okay? Are beat Wiggans? Youth side? Cartwright has turned the Catalans tied? All left see you in a world of pain to lose lost to waki a close one again. Welcome to the twenty third episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily designed to allow me to show off that I can do some rhymes at the start of every week.
Speaker 2: My name is Lee Addison and my name is John Davison. I think the question is when is your next poetry book coming out?
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, the poet Lee Addison, the new poet laureate. I'm a coach in Australia. Johnna journo in the UK. He's got an Aussie accent. I've got an English accent. Working out for yourselves. Take the table after twelve rounds. There's a new team on top of the Super League every week, isn't they, John Lee, Rhino's the top now They've played twelve and there on eighteen points. Warrington in second on eighteen and Saint Helen's in third on eighteen. Yet Warrington have played one less game, so to me, it just seems like those three are rotating who's at top at the top of the table each week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think there's the change apart from that would be you know, whole Care and Lea kind of on the march, aren't they. And I think I think Wakefield are a bit too. But I think, as we said last week, the top six apart from Lee, I don't think the top six is going to change, and it'll obviously change who's sitting where and you know the League Leaders Shield or the minor premiership in your coincident surroundings. Yeah, I think that that could change. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the impact Wigan, I don't want to say throwing the game against and that's probably a bit hard fielding a team which meant they had no chance of winning, perhaps.
Speaker 1: Even Leeds big win against Field this weekend has meant their points differential has jumped significantly higher than Warrington's, but like I said, Warrington played one less game. Saint Helen's points differential is only thirty eight, so they're well behind the other two. Hull KR are in fourth on sixteen. Wakefield Trinity in Wakefield Trinity are in fifth on sixteen.
Speaker 2: They're doing really well. Wigan in sixth.
Speaker 1: It's six playoff spots, that's right, yes, so Wigan are in the playoff spots on fourteen. Lee Leopards are on twelve in seventh. Catalans are also on twelve, but they're in eighth. Cast Tigers on ten in ninth place, Hull left c on eight in tenth place. Bradford Bulls are with them on eight points but they're in eleventh. York Night and Toulouse are on six points in twelfth and thirteenth respectively. And propping everybody up is Huddersfield Giants. Lee's laugh this week? Have you noticed John on YouTube and on some websites as well, how the word emotional is overused so you'll click on you know, there'll be something that they want you to click on. It will say John Davidson's emotional in capital letters, tiraid about whatever it may be. So I want everybody over the next seven days to look out for the clickbait the word emotional. So the reason this has come to my mind is woken up this morning. Obviously I knew that city the city played today, so I checked it was Pep Guardiola's last game, and the first thing I saw on youtubeer was Pep Guardiola's emotional in capital letters speech, and then it was Most Salar's emotional speech as he's leaving Liverpool and so on and so forth. So yeah, I think I've seen it three times already. This morning Rugby League tweet of the week Adam West, fresh from his Batman costume, said, people in rugby league complain about a lack of exposure in the media, then serve up this ship show in what will be one of the marquee fixtures of the season. We don't help ourselves as a sports sometimes. Johnny's tweet of the week first grade against the undred nineteen side Johnny's jab please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're obviously talking about the whole how we can go on Thursday night. I'm glad we didn't do an after the hoodo because that was it was a farce. It was embarrassing. Now there are a few elements to it. I think it's fair for every coach to pick, you know, what team I want to pick, and the fact that Wembley is what five six days away now, you know, I think I think Wigan were burnt two years ago when they lost Kieran and Tyler dupri to disciplinary points miss Wembley and who.
Speaker 1: Knows didn't heal k I get some injuries as well from yeah.
Speaker 2: They've got some knocks. I don't know how serious they are as we record, but yeah, but I think they were. There's also who knows what players are playing with injury because we know pretty much nearly every game they'll be players who are playing with injuries. They're rarely ever one hundred percent fit, are they? Lee? You know that as a coach. But the thing is, when this this ficture was scheduled, it could have been scheduled at round one, round two, round three, round twenty seven. Why schedule it a week before the Challenge Cup? Fine? And when it was I was told this the other day when it was scheduled, both clubs, Whole Can Wiggan flagged with the raphon So so why you know this isn't great scheduling but they never changed it. So yeah, it's just it's an own goal. Got It's absolutely stupid. And the thing is a lot of people are hating on Wigant and I get that because Salford it wasn't the same situation, but last year they fielded an under eight inside as a bit of a two fingers to the RFL and they got flogged by Sen Helens. I think it was only two nil and they got a massive fine. So you know why, why is there not a similaration?
Speaker 1: Why kangaroo kangaroo court? So yeah, so there's there's two elements to this. Number One, the Rugby Football League don't have enough checks and balances to make sure that teams put in in theory they're their best players. Now why why is this important? It's important because people have season tickets. It's important because there's broadcasters, it's important sponsors, it's important because of the betting markets, and it's it's not rocket science to ask every squad to name their top twenty and they're the starred players, and you've got to play as many of these starred players as possible in every fixture. That's one way of going about it, right. So if you don't have that check and balance in place, and that means coaches can pick whatever side they want and therefore I assume those checks and balances aren't in place. That's why Salford we were hit with a fine last year and therefore everyone can legitimately ask, well, why we're going to hit with a fine Well, that makes it sound to me like they're just making it up as they go along. So Wigan are perfectly entitled, as far as I know, to pick the side that they want. The absolute blame completely goes on the doorstep of the Rugby Football League here. So Wigan and hu k Are have competed in the last two Super League Grand finals. Juk Are were in the last Challenge Cup final, Wigan were in the Challenge Cup final the final before and guess who's playing each other.
Speaker 2: In the next one now?
Speaker 1: And even that, Yeah, even somebody with a surface knowledge of rugby league who's been watching the game for maybe the last year and a bit would be able to put that together and they'd look at the ficture list, and especially when the two clubs are going, hang on a minute, this is a problem. It's just ridiculous. It's absolutely ridiculous and and shame on, shame on the RFL. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Another issue, another issue lead is that we're going to go to Paris a week after Wembley, so there's going to be an effected and I think they've already sold five thousand odd tickets for Paris whatever, So there's going to be an impact on the Wembley attendance as well because you particularly well off, you can't afford down to go down to London for a game or for a weekend and then the next week fly over to Paris. Like I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago. It's not a cheap place to go. How did the Paris one come about? Was that organized by the club? In the RFL? That the Paris was organized by Wigan and Catlands because it celebrates twenty years since cal and Dragons were founded and also thirty years since the first game in Super League, which was Paris v Sheffield, But it was determined before the Wembley date was set. Now the thing is, look, if we're can win, if Mani Peter can go, well, I was justified resting on those players. If they don't win, he's probably going to cop a bit more. But it's just as you said, we didn't have to have this game a week before Wembley. We could have had Wigan v Bradford, York v Whole KR, Saint Helen's v Toulouse. Do you know what I mean, any you know understandable likely fixtures of teams that may have been playing at Wembley and it's not that hard to work. Yeah, who was likely to be at Wembleyne who wasn't? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean the chances of Bradford or York being there are very remote. So yeah, Dick, interesting question, he said, what do you andly think about throwing a bunch of kids in against grown men? Wigan lads did well against KR but will that damage them? I'm genuinely interesting how that damages them or makes them better? So I suppose that leans towards me as a as a from a coaching perspective. The look, Gareth, it won't do them any harm because it was gang mentality. Nobody was on their own. It wasn't one kid, one kid just being thrown in on their own to be exposed in the middle or on a wing or something like that. So it was gang mentality. They're all being put in together. Also, it depends very much on the individual, so it's a case by case basis. Some players take to first grade rugby league like ducks to water. Remember watching Philip Sammy graduate from my academy and make his NRL debut and in his first game, you know he plays for the Titans. Now, in his first game he looked like he played one hundred NRL games, just because that's his mentality. He doesn't overanalyze things.
Speaker 2: Whatnot.
Speaker 1: Ronaldo Mullatalo, who's arguably a far better footballer, when he played his first game, he was error strewn because he's all action and would overthink it, et cetera, et cetera. So every player is different. So quite frankly, I think the Wigan lads would have got together and really pulled together and thought, we've got nothing to lose here, let's go out and make a name for ourselves. And then we were also asked how important Wiggans Academy is to rugby league in the UK, considering the players it produces for Wigans, Super League, the Championship, then Reland occasionally will be Union. I'll throw that to you, John, I think that was Gareth as well.
Speaker 2: I think yeah, I mean it's it's a very important Kada because they are, you know, huge producers of talent. I think they're the most prolific in the country. By aw I mean you look just look away from where you look at the other clubs and you go, okay, Lee, they've got your minor Hanley, They've got Josh Charley, They've got Jack Hughes. You know. At Warrengon the've got Sam Powell and I think there's some other o Liam Byrne. You know. Leeds have got James McDonald, whole k Are have got three, they've got Oliver Gildert, they've got Joe Burgess and they've got there's another one of Tom Davies, you know. So it is yeah, but the thing is in just jumping back to what your previous comment, I don't think it's usual normal to blood ten youngsters in a seventeen like I think there was eight in the first team and then another two on the bench, and the fact lead that they were so young that two of them could not actually have the sponsor the Toad, which is a bedding company on their shirts because they weren't legally old enough to allow to have. I mean, I can't remember when that's happened before. I mean, that's yeah, it's just it's a really embarrassing look for the sport. Everyone knows it, and it pisces me off when you have Wigan fans who are trying to defend it because it's all about your club and whatever. It's not to do with an anti Wigan or pro Wigan thing. It's it was just a bad look for the sport. It doesn't matter if it was you know, Leads and Saint Helen's doing it, it doesn't matter who. It's just it was. Really it's a massive angal. I just I can't believe that that game wasn't rescheduled or moved to a different time when you know we could have done that.
Speaker 1: You did mention after the hooter before that will be back closer towards the end of the season, I'd say, because a lot of these games the gig you can tell the players are just clearly just trying to get through them. And that goes to me next question just before I get there, last question about the about the Wigan Academy was from just d on on x Simon Paul said, can we discuss if this is the poorest Super League season ever? Vast majority of games are dreadful, standard is low and lots of teams are awful. The damage this season is doing too Potential TV rights could cost us millions. Geez, the worm has turned in a few weeks, hasn't it. There's most people were telling us how great it was a few weeks back.
Speaker 2: Well heard. I heard some cheerleaders the other day saying we all knew that the playpool wasn't big enough what I was on I don't remember them saying that last year when I wrote that, you know not to say the old I told you so. But look, I don't know if it's the worst super League ever or I've not seen every season of super League. I've only been found it closely since twenty thirty and twenty four I know in twenty fourteen there were sporting teams and obviously it was cut after that and Bradford London that you were terrible particularly. But the thing is all the games are televised now. We haven't had that before, have we, So we haven't seen every game historically. But things are very, very stretch. I mean it has been in the last couple of weeks alone, it's been some absolutely dreadful games like Huddersfield's and Helen's Hull of C Bradford. There's just some really really I mean that Leeds Huddersfield game and we're going to talk about it later on. I wasn't out of the game, but I spoke to a couple of people who were in the stands and I've seen the headlights. Like Huddersfield, it's like they couldn't tackle, let alone catch the ball. Like it was just it was like Leeds were beating up, you know. Yeah, And it's not good for anyone, you know what I mean. It's not good for Leeds, it's not good for Hddersfield, it's not good for the sport. So yeah, I don't know. Do you think it's the worst. I don't. Yeah, I'm not trying to be I hate to tell.
Speaker 1: I'd hate to say to everyone we told you, soul, but myself and Johnny the intrepid journalist out there on the mean streets of sixty two England, we predicted this. We predicted this. That the fact there was fourteen teams, you're just spreading the talent based too thin. And it's not just purely a Super League thing. It's about the rugby league playerpool full stop. Because Australia have also expanded their competition and they're expanding it again and what we're seeing is more and more players going to the top echelon of the sport that possibly shouldn't be there. So we're robbing Peter to pay Paul. So we are taking players from our state based competitions in Australia to play in the Super League, and some of them are playing in the NRL too. Let's you know, let's not forget the Saint George LAWAA Dragons haven't won a game in fifteen matches and they're at the bottom of the NRL. Also, the best English players seem to be playing in the NRL too, So what you actually have in Super League is the best English players minus maybe the top ten, and then a load of state league players and some NRL x NRL players who are very much at the end of their careers. I mean, we're going to celebrate another signing this week who's ancient and this is just turning into a very easy competition quite frankly, for some players to make a quick quid.
Speaker 2: I think it's also important notly that next year, in a year after, it's going to be even worse because who's in the UK at the moment. The CEO of the Perth Bears and the general manager of P and G Chiefs, Michael Chamis and his recruitment manager, and they're not only signing English players who've already gone to Perth, but they're also signing P and G players are either at London or across Super League. And they're also signing Australian keyways players like Toby sext and whatever. So there's, as you said, like Australia's expanding, and naturally players are going to go where there's better opportunity, better money, so that's going to be another drag. So to expand at the same time without actually having more players is lunacy.
Speaker 1: Game day five two three on X said Huddersfield Giants surely their time is up and we had this as a news item too, So obviously, if we're looking at the future of the game with all this in mind, there's a couple of things we need to consider. London are going well in the division below and are clearly preparing and talking like a future Super League franchise, except now the noises are they've never had any assurances so on and so forth. But they're doing everything right from what we can see. Huddersfield from what we can and are probably doing everything wrong or not doing much right, and there's unleashed, yes, unleashed on the bottom of the ladder. And also there's some other teams slipping down that we'll talk about. So but the first one, the obvious one, is hard to field giants. So they're even below the newly promoted side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and they've been at least since what twenty twenty two, they've been struggling for kual Ho and before that, you know, after the Pool innocent era, they've been struggling. And to me they look like a championship team in disguise. The stadium. You know, they're not going to have a stadium soon. The crowds have gone absolutely nowhere. The coaching situation, Jim Lenna in his first game, they get beaten by fifty two points. So if you're him and he was the second choice Daniel holds, is he over already? Is it? Yes? That was his right last week. If you hear him, you're headingly on Friday night, like Jesus Christ, can I get the next flight back to the Gold Coast?
Speaker 1: Well gets where he's going to try and recruit players from well, exactly they need they need, they need to recruit plase.
Speaker 2: But look, the whole thing with London and look, London quietly for a while have been petitioning the other Super League clubs about a vote to have fifteen teams in Super League. Now I think most well some of us, I think you're probably the same. I'll speak for you here. I think some of us would say that's a bad idea. Now. I like what London had been doing this year. I like their plans. They're putting a lot of money in and I think they should come up in the Super League. But I think it should be the IMG criteria. Now, whether Huddersfield will be dropping an IMG points, you would think because the crowds are terrible, the performances are terrible. I don't think their social numbers are particularly good. But you can't guarante with the CIS and we have. You can't guarantee who's going down, can you. And I think it would be unfair for to lose York and it won't be Bradford, but Bradford as well, because they've just literally come out, particularly unfair on to loose and York because they've only got half the money. So I think going to fifteen would be would be a big, big, big mistake. But I do think with London what they're doing, like, how long are they supposed to you know, spend two million a year on players when they know the ceiling is already you know they're at the ceiling now, aren't they in the Championship? Yeah, I just I think moving to fifteen would be a mistake. But I think London deserved to go up, and I think it. Look Huddersfield, I think they've had a long crack at it many many years. We're not seeing any progress, any change, and I think it is time for them to drop out of the top of the vision.
Speaker 1: I've got a real ingenious way of deciding who goes down and who goes up. The team that finishes bottom of the Super League go down, and whoever wins the Championship goes up. You don't need to pay anythink tanks for that, by your rationale. So the drag this Georgia Laura Dragons will go down? Who who comes up with the burly Bears? Or we're talking about the English? We were talking about the English, but well, the thing is the difference in Australia is is actually some very financial teams underneath the NRL, and some of them are in better financial some of them are in better financial nick than some of the lower NRL the teams it seems so.
Speaker 2: New Town Jets.
Speaker 1: There's a few, I mean Cabra Matta for example, and some of the other league's clubs in Sydney, some of the clubs in Wollongong. There's plenty of clubs up here in Brisbane and to one mother are quite cash rich. So I mean, I'm not suggesting it should happen, but it won't happen now. But as we were talking about Britain, Yeah, just why doesn't the bottom team just go down and the team that wins the championship go up? No need to pay anybody anything for that, just and then there's another team sliding down to hahle f C. What's going on there? Well, decision to sack John cart right or to let him go whatever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, look, I think all there's a lot of issues here. Like I think that the whole John Carter we talked about this a few weeks ago, like they've completely bottled and mismanaged that, and I think they tried to spin it as in, oh well we wanted to bring Steve mcnamaray in I don't think that's the reason that they got rid of him, And I think, what since they got rid of him when they handled it badly they've have they lost three in one one, I think, I think, but I think a lot of I think a lot of it comes back to the administration that came in two years ago, and they did sign initially a lot of older injury playing players like John Asiada, and their recruitment has been quite quite poor, and they've had been hit with a lot of injuries there, and you add that into what I happened with the coach and the players. Clearly, like John Cartwright, they were playing for John cart Right. They did well last year. They hadn't been going great this year, but they were still in the balance, but they were playing for John Cartwright and then he gets knifed and it's just, yeah, chickens coming home to roost. I know there was an interview on Friday Night where they tried to be a lot of blame towards the Adam Pearson era and what went on there. And obviously, you know the club was didn't have a lot of resources and there were issues. But I think a lot of the decisions that have been made by the new administration off ce have been quite poor and it is a bit of yeah, chickens coming home to roost and they are a half seer of big club. You know, they've got a big fan base. They do produce a lot of players, but you just have to wonder, like you know, some of the Jake Arthur I mean, and I'm not singlely one player out, but a lot of a lot of this signings. You just you know Oliver Homes, you know, over the last couple of years, like you're just what's going on there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and John Cartwright has gone to Catalans and even got them winning.
Speaker 2: So look, I think you look at John carter Right's career, he's a good coach. He's a very honest, down to earth bloke, straight shooter, and I think most people on the sport know that he was treated badly. So it's good to see him gig gigan as I wrote a deep dig dive on Catalans the other week, you know, and after Wakefield game, you're like Jesus there in a massive hole. But I think he's a really smart appointment. So well done to them for making him their their head coach.
Speaker 1: There's some dumb people in rugby league who fall for certain would be coaches who can put power points together and speak in terms of platitudes and soundbites and coach.
Speaker 2: Speak talking about Anthony Seubog no.
Speaker 1: Comment, and then they fail to see that rugby league is a physical game and quite often a coach who keeps things awfully simple and as an ability to get the players to play for him or her or themselves, they tend to be the successful ones.
Speaker 2: And I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Jack Gibson confusing the hell out of anybody, even when he was talking in the media. I have no doubt Wayne Bennett doesn't confuse anybody. I have no doubt Craig Bellamy does not confuse anybody. And those three coaches between them have won an awful lot of premierships, have been in an awful lot of grum finals.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the modern segue and it isn't a crack at Anthony Seabob. But what Karen Thorn is doing at Manly now seven wins from eight games, I can't remember. I mean, there probably is a similar record in another sport, maybe in football or basketball or whatever, but in rugby league, I can't think of another coach who's had taken over from another coach who's been sacked, who's a rookie coach who literally retired five six months ago and had an immediate impact like that, and he's he has simple five things. He's you know, they're playing, they respect him, they're playing for him. And even on the weekend, you know they're missing Tommy Turbo, they're missing Cola, they're missing Hoppawadi, they're missing I can't say his buddy name but Homoly, and they still grow out of win.
Speaker 1: I'll just I know you're a Manly fan, John, but I want to remind you this is Super League three sixty, not Manly. We're in the See Eagles three sixty. You keep trying to mention them every week and I'm not entertaining it.
Speaker 2: I'm not entertaining. I'm having a great one.
Speaker 1: But you are right about caring for and you know you're getting old as a bloke when you've coached somebody who's coaching in the NRL as I did. The reason I mentioned the powerpoints and everything else is I can imagine John cart Right as a very very very very much a footballers coach and he's a straight shooter and straight shooter can be interpreted as tells the truth all the time, or doesn't talk in platitudes and doesn't try and confuse people, and everybody can clearly understand what he's saying, and it's only done people who think that those people aren't smart.
Speaker 2: That's all I'll say on that matter.
Speaker 1: Moving forward, Cam mckinness has gone to York. You're very excited, John Soul's James Harvey, who said, does the Cam McGinnis signing open the door for more bigger names to York in twenty twenty seven? Yeah, if you like Coctor genarians.
Speaker 2: Look I don't. I think, Well, I haven't seen camp play much this season. Look, I think he's a fantastic signer for York. I think it is a bit of a statement, you know. I think he's still good enough to be playing the nr row next year. I think he's a fantastic from what I've seen of him and you know written about him. Just a real leader, a hard worker. And I think it's great for York. I think you're for New York fan. Were show some real ambition. So I say congrats too, Yeah, I do, I do too.
Speaker 1: Been facetious is the much difference between the town of Lee, the city of Bradford, and Lost Vegas. John, you've been to all three. I've been to two of them. I've been to two of them. My dad lives there, one of them, my brother.
Speaker 2: I would say congrats to Lee and Bradford for taking the plunge going to Vegas. It was going to be half see some but they both pulled out. Now how competitive a game, I guess we'll see. We haven't seen a competitive Super LEW game in Vegas yet in two years. But look, it shows a fair bit of ambition for both cups. What I don't personally like, and this is just the personal opinion, is they've decided to promote that using the Lee chairman, the Lee CEO, and I think two of the Bradford owners playing poker in a stadium. Why are we using owners and CEOs to promote a game when we've.
Speaker 1: Got Probably because it's the owners and CEOs who are making these kind of decisions. So they went to the star of the show. But Lee, I'll just get give you an example.
Speaker 2: If mainly are plying the roosters, are you going to see Scott Penn and Nick Polydis doing a one minute poker, you know what I mean? If they're playing in Vegas, are they're going to do a video? Like? No one cares who these people are, no one wants to see them. You've got Adrian lamb That, You've got lock On Land, You've got nick A Rama, You've got Long of Black, Like, let's push the players to promote the sport like they're the ones playing on the field, not what some ego maniac is doing in the boardroom, Like I just that to me is just so much of what's wrong with the sport.
Speaker 1: In England outside of the coach and the players, And forty years ago, nobody even cared that much about the coach. By the ways, because of the way TV has generated interest in the coach. But outside of the coach and the players, nobody gives a flying flamingo about the other people at a club. And there's a strong correlation between CEOs and chair people who keep their powder dry, who keep a lower profile and have successful organizations. There's a strong correlation between those two things. The ones that feel the need to push their barrow all the time seem to take their eye off the ball of doing the job quite a lot and covering a lot of their a lot of their a lot of their errors. I mean it's particularly prevalent in this country. Who the journalists say is a good CEO. It's the one who gives them quotes all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean people will say they use Russell Crowe to promote the first Vegas game in the first year, and he is a co owner of Sessity, But they use Russell Crowe because he's a Hollywood actor.
Speaker 1: Who also has a very low profile role public role in South Sydney. He doesn't interfere at all, and he's not in the press every thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: He's also globally known, particular in America. People know who he is because he's had a massive career for thirty forty years.
Speaker 1: Like, are you telling me they don't know who Derek Beaumont is in America?
Speaker 2: Maybe they do, Maybe they do they maybe they do.
Speaker 1: Eighteen ninety five Cup Final, what a joke, Just to let you know. That's what John sent me through as a topic. That's so that's all I've got to go on.
Speaker 2: Well, it's on a Monday, it's on a Monday Bank holidayly and it's scheduled a day before tomorrow today thirty first, a day after the last round of Championship games. So presumably they're going to get rescheduled or people are going to back up twenty four hours later and play Oh my god, we don't even have a venue for it yet. It's just we talked. We talked about the scheduling for the Whole Car Wigan game.
Speaker 1: I mean, what is the eighteen ninety five Cup John for those who don't know.
Speaker 2: So it was brought in I'm going to say four or five years ago basically as the Challenge well a Challenge Cup of equivalent for the lower team, so the teams in the Championship in League One. It was a chance for them to get to Wembley and play it as a curtain rate well it was actually played after the Challenge Cup final, but a chance for them to play at Wembley because obviously you're a semi pro team and you're playing against Wigan and Leeds in Whole Car you aren't going to like in all reality, and it's not like football. You're not going to have You're not going to get there, are yea. So it gave them a separate competition. Now it doesn't have a sponsor anymore. They've taken away the IMG points for winning it. I think the prize is thirty five grand to win it. So it's just like, what what are we doing with this? Why? You just I don't I don't know, Lee, Like I just I'm rough running out of words at this point.
Speaker 1: Like it's just that's not good for a journalist. That's a that's a that's a red flag. Yeah, it's just there's.
Speaker 2: Any so many times you can beat your head against the wall until you know the blood starts coming out and the brain starts sleeping out. And that's kind of where we're at the point.
Speaker 1: So indeed, in John's detailed topic suggestions, the next one is old and latest. I don't know if he's talking about crime statistics or or house prices or no.
Speaker 2: There's a bit there's a bit of moving old. And I was at the game on Friday night, good winn. You know, I thought Midlands, you know, much bigger pack that they faced and got dominated defense, but they had a real dig and it was actually nice going to a championship game saying no captains challenge, no video risk, there was any fans, Were there any fans there? I think there was about a thousand and two hundred, but it was a lovely you know, we're in a heat wave in the UK, so it was a lovely night for it. But no, the latest is I think Mike Ford what I've been told, Mike Board has of pulled out of talks of taking over the club, so that's a bit of a blow. There are two other groups looking at it, but there's still a fair bit of uncertainty in old of them. And she's a shame because they are back at Boundary Park, which I think is really necessary and you know it's got great heritage and facilities there, but there is a bit of uncertainly what's going to happen at Oldham in the future. I think the payday is coming up as well soon, so hopefully they can get a takeover sorder, then they can get their future sorder. Because obviously the Bill Quinn era, which we've talked about a lot. Yeah, you laugh because it's funny, but if you're an Oldham fair or an old because.
Speaker 1: Of that video where he just Bill Quinn, I don't think him. I thought Bill Quinn was the chairman and he's actually talking about himself in the Yeah, times if.
Speaker 2: You're Bill Quinn, no one talks bad about Bill Quinn. Yeah, it's just yeah, it's a role. I do actually feel sorry for the old and faithful because the last five months six months have been an absolute roller coaster, and not just talking about Facebook videos but everything. So hopefully there's a good outcome of the for the roughiads.
Speaker 1: And in the in the battle of the two clubs that went under in the last six months or whatever it is, Halifax twenty eight, Salford thirty four. What does he Sulford racking up another win. Actually so they they seem to be getting it together again slowly, which is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've bought brought in Kiaren Dixon from Oldham obviously made Dave Humett Hewitt the permanent head coach. Yeah, two year contract or something. No, I think to the end of the year. I have heard a few rumors about a potential new coach twenty seven. I won't mention the name because I have a chance to chase that up, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I can probably confirm it for your off record.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll do We'll do that. And there's obviously staying in a championship with Witness. You know, there was a there was a statement made out by the Direct Day and the OBN and I broke a story about the GM Tim Holmes leaving because of a restruction of club. So that's another club in the Championship with I don't want to say an uncertain future, but there's a lot of talk around Witness and what's going to happen there.
Speaker 1: So well, we've got the enhanced games, maybe we need a propped up super League teams that are all being propped up by government handouts or something. Back to the review of super League from the last round. We've spoken off about this at the start. Whole k are sixty two Wigan youth side for on Thursday, I think that was Leeds beat Huddersfield fifty two nil.
Speaker 2: I want to say special mention to Barry Back and Dave Woods because they really they spun the commentary so well, like making it sound like it was a fantastic win for whole Car and they.
Speaker 1: Play well, it's happening a lot in Australia to the game in front of the front of us is a game of ping pong and they're talking it up like it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really damaging. Comments from from Monster and Jerome Hughes on their podcast about you know what's happened with the game this year and Phil Goold as well, like there's a lot of people who are unhappy and a big emotional, emotional emotional ran about touch Fuddy last week. But I was crying. I was crying, I was banging the table. A lot of people agree with you, and a lot of big names in the nrolre with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leads fifty two. They've only scored fifty two. It's not two lots of fifty two. Led Ski scored two tries. Newman, you know you're in trouble. There's an opposition when one of the prop scores two tries. Newman scored to all Craft, Civo, Paul Mike as evo. His scoring has gone down. McDonald and Hankinson they only scored one corner, kicked eight goals. Huddersfield scored zip and that was nine tries to zero. I'll just keep moving on. Lee forty two left c six, Charlie got a hat trick. Towels, Hanley, Holton, Armstrong, Hodgson and Lamb scored the rest of them, and Cook scored three goals all left c could only manage six and they were all to Heartacre Josh Charlie the headline act with a hat trick and he's getting close to Ryan Hall's record apparently.
Speaker 2: Of tries scored. He is, yeah, doing very well. Hanley I thought was fantastic in the senders. I think he's really putting his name in the frame for a World Cup selection. That's Ellary's son, isn't it. Yes, that's obviously Ellary's Sam. They don't have a close relationship, I believe. But are the similarities in terms of the way they play. I wouldn't. I wouldn't say they are, but I probably didn't see enough of prime Ellery Hanley to properly analyze that. But look, I think.
Speaker 1: I'll put Ellery into context for you. Is my favorite of a player. I know that, and you know you know I'm a tough judge.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he was a freak of a player. And I think you know, Minor Hanley has come through the Wigan system. He's got a lot of talent. I don't think he's in an audue respect as good as his dad, but his dad's probably one of the best players to ever play the game. So that's not a that's not a crack by anyway. But he's a very skillful player, big strong, fast athletic, can score a try, I can set up a try. And I think he's you know, he's having a great scene. I think Lee. Look, we've spoken about last week. They've definitely turned a corner the Hullow seaside. They dropped ad and Caesar and it seems to be list. I saw on social media that Aiden Caesar was at the Leeds game. He's former club, rather than at Lee watching his teammates. So it's not a great look. I mean I ain't seen. It's very close to John car Ryan, isn't he But not a great not a great look there. Yeah, we've already talked about HALFC. I mean they just get worse week to week now.
Speaker 1: We got battered the other week when we put a clip out saying something nasty about all f C as well. York twenty two, Catalans thirty six. Good win for Catalans on the road tries for York two from Barmouth Firth. I love that surname. That's very soothing. Roberts and off Aloma scored one each on Hunter, which is the exact opposite of Barmfoth in a way. Hunters kicked three goals. The Catalans thirty six came from Russell aspuro BChE Fartarpi, Sexton, Tyson well Tis Stains and goals were from a Spiral Beche who scored six of them. Was that a good game?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I think Catlenz are op ad in Neil really bad start from York. They came back into it, but Carlins played some lovely stuff. I think one of the tries that the flick offload was was suburb So they're still having a crack York, can't they? Which is good. Yeah, they're still I think they had and the centers and I think they're named maybe four or five half backs in the nineteen men squad, which you don't see every day. But yeah, they're definitely having a crack. I think that's one thing about York. We're gonna lose the efforts always there. And but yeah, after how bad cat Lens were a week ago, they were dreadful. That is a good, good turnaround for them. Castle, Yeah, what happened here?
Speaker 1: Castle for thirty st Helen's ten Gary Garry with a hat trick, greet and Greech and Golding scored one each. Weaver kicked five goals and Saint Helen's ten came from Murphy Dagnall on a goal from Sailor.
Speaker 2: And Yeah, what the hell happened there? What's the first time I think the Castle could have won back to back games in about five or six years. Look, I got home and turned on the TV and I was sixteen up. I think it was about half time. I was like, what the hell they were? They were very very good gas well deserved Saints on the strength, not not anymore than they've been, you know, for quite a few weeks. They were just very, very poor every I think their set completion was like sixty three percent. They dropped off tackles, they dropped balls, discipline was very bad. Wells we've got Simbind, Hastings got Simbind. Yeah, they just basically got dominated in every facet. But after the Wigan game, the semi final couple of weeks ago, and then you know, pretty dominant performance dominated by casts. You'd have to raising an eyebor or two about that. That's a helles Like maybe deform is going to start to nosedive because they've been very good, obviously second on the table, very good most of the year, but that was they were very very poor on Saturday, but for Cass, fantastic result put on them. It's been a tough year, but maybe they've moving upwards. And yeah, full credit to him.
Speaker 1: To lose eighteen Wakefield twenty two to lose were eight mil up at one point, and and that was thanks to try from Roumanos and nash Old Bolt he scores every week, Ashual Bolt and Ulberg scored one. A bit later Sharuks kicked three goals. Wakefield hit back though with Pratt, far Tilly, Tavanga, Nicotimo and three goals from Rock And this score line is actually quite.
Speaker 2: Similar to the game early in the year.
Speaker 1: It's it seems like a decent battle between the two sides, quite frankly, and even though to lose might be near the bottom of the ladder, it just seems that they might have the ability to get under Wakefield skin. I think even though Wakefield and near the top of the ladder, So that was I thought that was just as good always for to lose in a way.
Speaker 2: It's always a way. Is that some teams in their stalls just mare up perfectly, don't they And they seem to have an edge over another thing. But yeah, I think I think gold kicking for to loose. Like the goal kicking. It has been quite poor a year and you know you're eight no lap you want to be you want to be a twelve noil up day here. But some of the defense I saw was not good from Toulouse that you know, the effort is there, they are trying, but they're just the defense has kind of improved. They've got to be able to with stain pressure.
Speaker 1: They need to make it tighter the defense to spread apart the Yeah, their system anyway different. Warrington hundred percent home record this season, nine wins from nine games in all competitions because they beat Bradford twenty six twelve. Warrington scored through Feulis, Thomas, Coppowarti, Erwin and Ashton and Irwin kicked three goals and Bradford's twelve came from Gill and Nicarima and one goal was kicked by Akin and another by Hooley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think probably a predictable result when you saw these teams matching out who was playing obviously Bradford are still missing a few important players. Yeah, that's really all.
Speaker 1: Some more questions, Dave Campbell asked us, where does Willie Peter stand in the list of influential coaches in any Capital letters sport over such a relatively short period of time? Can I answer that one, John, you can, because I've not researched every sport in.
Speaker 2: Every era, and like there might be a handball coach from Norway who you know won every trophy in.
Speaker 1: Well it said, it said over such a relatively short period of time. Look, yeah, there's plenty more. There's plenty more that have done it. Also, I think things get a little bit skewed when we look at Willie Peters record a little bit right, the He's won two competitions in essence, which is the Challenge Cup and Super League.
Speaker 2: The World Club Challenge is one game. Yes, it's competition, but is one game.
Speaker 1: Also, we seem to put a more a bigger emphasis on the League Leaders Shield when it suits us in England as opposed to the minor premiership in Australia. So in you know, nobody nobody remembers the League Leaders Shield or minor premiership. If you don't win the premiership. So so that's that. I'm not trying to take away from Willy's record all but in terms of where he would stand in terms of influential coaches, I mean, one's just one's just packed in at Manchester City today who took a year to bed in his methods and then the year the year after was breaking records left right in the center. So so that's just one that springs to mind. And we've said this on this podcast before, or I've said this anyway. I think some of Willie's work was done very well by Tony Smith before Willy got there as well. So look, I think Willy's been fantastic. I think he's been a great coach for who k Are, but I don't I think that's where it sort of sits. It's been one of the better Super League performances. Willy's big test will come when he's coaching in the NRL.
Speaker 2: Look, I think I'm going to hold judgment until after Wembley and after the season ends this year, because if he went at Wembley and maybe they win another Grand Final and he's got back to back challenge caps, better back Grand final win, then you know, and I think when you considered the whole car, I haven't contended since the mid eighties. I would say it's effective if Paramatta were winning the cup now. But Paramatta have had good years in the last forty haven't. In two thousand and one they should have won the Grand final. They were in the Grand final. In two thousand and nine they were in the Grand final then was it twenty two against Penrith or sometime like that, so twenty one to think, yeah, look, I think he's done an outstanding job. That's an outstanding job, but he does he does rank highly in terms of short term impact, definitely in Super League. But the question super league for any sport, Yeah, I mean it's just hard to compare sports and areas you mentioned Pep Guardiola. I think one of the years a couple of years ago when Shefforld, you know, in the Premier League, though I had a wage bill of about fifty million quid. In Manchester City had to wage bill of two hundred million quid. So you know, there's there's factors a play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also think about how many rookie coaches have won the NRL Premiership. Ricky Stewart first season won a premiership. Michael Hagen first season won a premiership. Kieran for and first season. You know, you know, I just think the question was about bigger picture. Yes, quite Frankly, I think let's not get carried away. John Hodson in nineteen eighty six said, given Pep has now announced he's leaving Man City, as Lee learned anything from him in regards to coaching, and are there any coaches from other sports that Lee's learned anything from? Well, I think this is the greatest question ever on this podcast.
Speaker 2: That's your burner account. That's right.
Speaker 1: If you look at my top book top bookshelf at home where I am now, it's Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, the old Nottingham Forest and Arbor County manager late United, and then yeah, for forty days or something, and then it becomes then it becomes Jose Mourinho, Venga, John Wooden, some Pep. So to answer that question, yes, I've learned things off Pep there. I particularly early in his tenure and even when he was at Barcelona and Bayern. I used to look at youtubes and look at some of the drills he was doing, particularly the rondo drill that is big on, which is basically where players stand in a circle and pass to each other with a couple of players in the middle trying to get the ball off them, a bit like Piggy in the middle. I've developed rugby league drills similar to that, or rugby league games similar to that to keep people moving. Also, one of the big things that I've learned from Pep is the ability to use your train to keep injuries to a minimum. So use your training in your match preparation to keep injuries to a minimum. Thirdly, I think my whole philosophy about coaching rugby league has always come from sports like soccer, a bit like basketball, rather than sports such as NFL, because I believe that rugby league is a bit more fluid in terms of pit players should look up more and look at space, etc. Than so many coaches in rugby league who are very structural and put the players in strait jackets. So somebody like PEP has has been an influence in that regard. But to drill down a little bit deeper, because I'm a little bit older, I'd already done about ten or fifteen years of reading about coaches before PEP came on the scene. And what you find amongst all the great coaches is so many similarities. So you Bill Belichick's, You're Alex Ferguson's, etc.
Speaker 2: Etc.
Speaker 1: There's so many similarities in what they do. And don't underestimate that Pep has had his mentors too. And by twenty eleven twenty twelve, when people were starting to think I'm going a minute this, Pep guardy all looker coach. I mean I'd already coached at Manley and Penrith, so I was well on my coaching journey. So so I've learned things off Pep, but I guess it came but the more at the back end of what I've learned about coaches, and so much of it duplicated what I'd seen before. Ben Blackwell said, what is the likelihood of Sky agreeing to a new TV deal? TNT are apparently in players potential new broadcaster, and if speculation is to be believed, if super League was to leave Sky, it would force clubs and the comp to up their game in marketing and to game game subs for TNT etc. By subs, I think Ben means subscriptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's a great question. I've not heard a huge amount about the team negotiations. There has been some talk that that T and T are interested, they are being brought over by paramounts, So I think that could affect any kind of offer of rights at this point. But look, look, I think personally for Suberlu, I think, you know, what they need is more money. That's kind of the crust of the thing. Now, if that means breaking up rights with one or two different providers, then great. I think ideally to get some free to air coverage would be good, But we need to get the most out of our rights, which can then go not only to distributions to clubs, but in things like marketing and promotion and participation, you know, so many things. So I hope that TNT are in, you know, in big style. I think competition would be great because I think Sky their coverage has maybe been treading water for a bit. And yeah, I think, you know, going to a new writer could kick be a kick up of the ass for a lot of on the sport, which is maybe what we need.
Speaker 1: B W asked, what's the best move for jack wellsby next? Jack wellsby being the Saint Helen's fall back or six or substitute or whatever. If it's to leave the club, which club would be the best fit b W. I think that or he from Pilkinson's are looking for some players.
Speaker 2: Truthful, Look, I don't think you know he only signed a new deal Saint Helens not that long ago. I don't think he's leaving St Helen's. I know he's come back from a serious injury. He's not hit his form yet. But I think personally, if you look at some of the defensive efforts that Tristan Saler made, I'd be picking Jack Wells bit fullback.
Speaker 1: Jack Wells is a good player, but obviously is going on. And our l news, I think the big news was the diagnosis of Jay Arrow. Unfortunately, I know all too well about multi neeur own disease.
Speaker 2: Mate, So yeah, I mean you he lost your mind in you and I think anywhen yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh six seven members of the family, so we're yeah, my mom's side are in the ten percent of cases that run through families and just like Gy Arrow, my mum had the I think they call it the bulber version of the motor your own where your voice starts to struggle. And obviously, for those concerned about Gai and his welfare. They may remember that Rob Burrow, the talking issue came a bit later, did it after the limbs? Whereas with Jai the talking has already been affected. And obviously it's not just talking that happens, it's swallowing food, breath, saliva, et cetera. So yeah, it's it's not good. It's not good again. The rugby league it is fantastic at getting around these people. Is this talks about July being try for Jai to raise money, And from a purely selfish point of view, and very selfish point of view, this is that any high profile people that get M and D it can only help people's knowledge of it, and it can only help the funding of it because they believe they're about fifteen years off a cure ten to fifteen years, and that will obviously be expedited with more money. And because of the very lopsided world we live in, these things don't get prioritized over politicians' expenses and things like that.
Speaker 2: So it was heartbreaking news. And yeah, just love and sport goes out to join and his family, you know, his partner, his daughter, you know, I think I think see how Senior handle it really well, and it's great to see the support that he's got from the sport. And obviously, you know, with seeing what's happened with Rob Borrow and what Kevin Sinfield had done. And I think rugby league does this really well. But yeah, it's just something and it seems to be I mean, we don't know. There's no research about the links between M and D and rugby league or concussions, but it just seems to be such a high you know, and obviously not your you know, your mum or people your family, but a high incidence of professional rugby league players who are developing it, you know, car Web. I think there's quite a few other There's obviously a lot in roam union. It's just just a real prick of a disease.
Speaker 1: So the three things, the three things that I believe that the researchers are really drilling down into is Number one, intense exercise. So intense exercise is defined as anything over fifteen minutes above a certain heart rate. Basically. Number two head knocks. So rugby league in particular are cover those first two bases, and rugby union, so many other sports as well. I mean, it's not that long ago that footballers were heading a ball.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Very tough on the melon and even now, I mean you can still have head collisions and you can still hit a ball and it not be too pleasant. There's so many other things obviously too. And then the third one is geographical, so there is a thought. All my mum's side are Irish, so there's a potential link, I believe, with what might be happening in terms of the way foods are farmed in that area. And there's also been a breakout in recent years and the Riverina in New South Wales, and they're trying to link that or they think they did link that with something to do with the way water was was processed there or something along those lines. So so yeah, they're the three sort of main ones I think, and of course there's the genetic ones too and it's it's it's quite ironic.
Speaker 2: Actually.
Speaker 1: The gene that they link it to is called sod one s o D one, and yes, it is a sod of a disease as well. So yeah, that's where it is, and I just got to keep on keeping on them. Yeah, And just like you, John, I think seeing that Jai as a one year old was the thing that really got to me. The two things was listening to gay speak because it reminded me and my mum and seeing he's got a one year old and yeah, not good, not good.
Speaker 2: No. I mean I think that the you know, the experience that you've had, you know, I can't imagine being about that. I know personally one of my best mates, his wife was diagnosed quite a few years ago, and I know the impact. She's still fighting it, you know, but she's in a in a wheelchair and you know, as sister living with carers, and it's just what it does to people and what it does to families is just so tragic. So I think if you can support Joy in any way with donations or whatever, let's let's get out and do it.
Speaker 1: M Paul Trest said, any update on the NRL investment. We talked about this every week, NRL Investment Assistance in the Northern Hemisphere. With every week that goes by, I feel the need for this to happen becomes more apparent. I think Paul's saying the Super League isn't very good at the minute. I think that's what he's saying. But have you heard anything about Nigel Wood visit and the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've tried to chase up a bit the last week. I think it does depend who you talk to. I think some people are saying things are still positive, other people are saying not so positive. There has been some speculation that there is maybe a lack of unity on the NRL side from the likes of Abdo and Lanny's about how to proceed. And I think the other thought seems to be that the NRL won't make a financial or concrete financial offer until their own broadcast dealers sorted, which go shatt the moment. So yeah, look, I think I've said this before, I'll say it again. I think if there isn't a partnership with the NROL where investment and expertise comes to Super League, we're all up a certain puddle, sorry, a certain creek without a puddle.
Speaker 1: So Super League goals on hold again next week because it's a Challenge Cup Final.
Speaker 2: Preview it John, please, Well, my ProView will be brief because I will be debuting to Sunny Spain on Thursday and I will be enjoying Sunshine, Surf and Sangria all the three essa's, so I won't be at the Challenge Cup finals. It's probably the first Challenge Cup final, well apart from the COVID twenty twenty finals, the first one I've missed in fifteen years. So look, I think I think it'll be a hell of a game. I think Hel Karon, We're going to have got a fantastic rivalry that's been building for the last three years. They've played in two Grand Finals, they've won one each. I think it's it's a game that could go either way. I think they're very, very evenly matched, and yeah, I just hope, I think we all hope that that's a fantastic game. Last year's final was a bit of a grind. It was heavy rain. Trying to think the final before that. Look, Wigan dominated dominated Warrington. It wasn't a particularly eye catching final. I'm hoping for, you know, the ninety seven Grand Final style final, you know, something for the ages, That's what I would love to see.
Speaker 1: I think they I think they keep the grass a little bit longer at Wembley when the rugby league's on, and I think the camera angle doesn't always make the game look as far as it is. I've always I've always noticed that, So yeah, just something am I to assume that you're going to be away, so we can't record next week as well.
Speaker 2: I do fly back to Beautiful Leads Bradford on Sunday, so it should be good to review Sunday night. You know, it might be a bit hungover, but that's all right, our soldier on.
Speaker 1: For you're talking. You're talking like that's a rare occurrence. There we go, all right, have a good week and enjoy Spain.