Speaker 1: You see somethings going to happen.
Speaker 2: What's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Occult Rejects. This episode, I got Cherry Power with us again. She was with us before we covered the book The Left Hand Path of taro Uh, Breaking Taboos, confronting shadows and achieving self love. She came on the show. She talked about it and the way that she looks at Taro highly highly suggests to go check out that episode after this one and check out a book. But before we introduce her, let me introduce Judith. We got the loon? What is going on? Judith? Will you hi?
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. Jerry, I am so happy to see you come back. You can reach me at YouTube and on x as the Loan and if you want to follow, my AUNC page is also on Instagram on Jesus under Judus Swanson.
Speaker 5: I can't wait for today's discussion.
Speaker 4: Thank you, And what about your You mentioned the YouTube? Correct? Yes, yes, okay, based just making sure making sure. Thank you very much, Judus. I appreciate you making it always. And Sherry, please let everybody know what your dealer is, you know, tell them about your book or whatever you'd like to promote, promote please, Oh.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm so happy to be back on here. Thanks for the space. Well, yes, I just published a book on by Star Books called The lat Hand Path of Taitoo and it's available anywhere books are sold. You can order it now. And I have been a chartist for over like Around the Day, Canday and a half. And I'm also a witch left hand Path, which obviously and you can find me on Instagram and threats at Cherry Red Underscore Tarot and that's you'll also find all of my links there. I have basically and mainly like a patron and yeah, I mean also if you're interested in reading, you can book from there. And I'm Mexican. I live in Mexico, and I'm very proud and very happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Awesome, Awesome, I love it. Thank you very much for coming on again. Really had a blast last time, and I'm sure it'll be great this time. I guess what I wanted to ask You might have probably covered it in the first time you're on slightly, but I didn't want to ask. I guess what was your exposure to Santa Morte? Was that something you sorted researching in were you're kind of exposed to it. You're just wondering how you came across that ms.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere here in Mexico because it's where it originated. So I, to be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure when was the first time that I came upon the Cult of Santamerte. It was probably on like media or the news, or maybe just on the street, you know, because she's literally everywhere. You'll find people wearing like pendants of her, people wearing her like on t shirts. You will see if you go to like occult stores here where they said where they sell things for witchcraft and such, you will find a lot of like effigies, like statues, candles with Santa Marta, and yeah, you just get curious and maybe you'll learn a little bit more about it. There have been there have been a lot of stories also in national news about her, and uh, yeah, it's it's pretty much already like permeated a lot of aspect of Mexican culture. Even those who are not like believers, they know, have a very general idea of what the cult is and what she represents. But of course there are as in most or I would say all aspects of belief. There are different ways to approach you know, every practice, every deity or entity. So yeah, I mean there's a lot of versions, and none of them is necessarily like valid or like invalid or true versus untrue. So yeah, I mean as a Mexican, like you just know, and the connotation on media and the news is unfortunately largely negative. But I think that in the past five or ten years it's really beginning to shift a lot.
Speaker 4: One thing I did want to ask, I think you kind of even said how that might be a little bit differences. Would you say, like maybe in different like towns or areas, there might be a little bit of a different flare on the idea, maybe smaller like things that kind of go along with the local stuff.
Speaker 1: There are subtle variations. Because I think that the first recollections of something similar like to Santa Marte, where you can trace it back to the nineteen forties, maybe in like I know that it happened like in Vera Cruz, which is like on one of the coastal areas in Mexico, and in Vera Cruz you have like these place that is very famous nationwide, and I think even internationally the name is Catemaco, and it's kind of like if Mexico had like a witchcraft capital, that would be it, because there's a lot of like brujos, and there are different variants and all kinds of like witchcraft that is practiced there, and it has a lot of like there's a lot of stuff like urban legends and like scary stories and things. Some of them have truth behind them, some not. But it's like a place that is very known because a lot of people, some of them like powerful politicians and like people in Mexican entertainment business, they go there to get some work done, like spiritual work and boukhetia and that sort of thing, but like also you know, just regular people and over there. I think that there was a witch in the like myth to late sixties. Then his name was smart Dale, and I don't know which type of which craft he practiced, but apparently he was the one who first received like a visit from what would who would later be known as Santa Marte. And at first it was like a vision while he was doing this ritual, you know, and afterwards, you know, well, here in Mexico, Catholicism is very interspersed with these types of beliefs. So he went after the vision was over, he called upon a priest from like a local priest, because Santa Marte had asked like to be like not worshiped, but she was like saying that she would be there to help anyone who called for her, particularly like for things that had to do with having like a peaceful death, or to you know, get well if they were sick, things like that, and gave him a series of instructions on how to approach her. And after a division evaporated, there was kind of like what they say, like an image left on one of the walls where he worshiped. So he went and got this priest. But of course the priest was horrified because he's a Catholic prist, so he said that that was themonic and that he would have no part in it and that was not of God, blah blah blah. But Matteo went ahead and he said, well, it's okay if the Catholic church won't admit or won't help me, and he started, you know, this practice worshiping Santa Martin, and gradually people found out about it through word of mouth and it started, you know, growing and growing until it eventually reached Mexico City, also some parts of the northern side of Mexico. And the thing that makes Santa Morte kind of like you your question was about if like it varied according to the regions. I would say that maybe it has a different type of audience depending on of which part of the country you are in, because people like in the north of Mexico, of course, they they are like in the in the border and they deal with a lot of maybe uh threats from like organized crime and things like that, or they are involved in maybe some of these activities, or they want protection against their enemies things like that, so it takes on like a different flavor. They're kind of like more from against enemies. But if you go to Mexico City where there's like an altar, the first like really like nationwide and internationally known altar to Santa Martin in the Pito that was established that altar by a lady named Enriquetta. I don't remember if her her last name was Dromo or what is her name, but she put a statue of Santa Marte like in the garage of her house and opened it to the public. And that is where like I think most of the people go and pay their respects to Santa Martin. The flavor there, if you want to call it, that is a lot more like inclusive. It's not limited to like necessarily people who who are involved in organized crime or who are cops or who work in these types of like dangerous jobs. They are like your everyday people. You know, business people, parents, people from every walk of life basically go and worship Santa Marte there, live offerings, things like that, And I would say that maybe if we have to like categorize it, if you go north, it's kind of like a bit more connected with like danger and crime and things like that. If you go to Mexico City, it's like more inclusive outsiders. Also a lot of like gay people, people who work like sex workers and things like that they go and worship there as well. It's super inclusive. And if you go to Vera Cruz, maybe it has like a little bit of a more serious tone as far as you know, people who go to Katemaco there it's usually for specific like rituals and like petitions that are like of a certain level of commitment. So that would be kind of like maybe the three vibes that you would get, you know, from Santa Marte here in Mexico go. But there's a lot of other places where she's worshiped that maybe don't have as much of a visible presence online or on the media, but I'm sure that they exist. Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I have a cool question because here in the Western world, when you say Satan Moota, people think she's associated with death, but only But from how you explained that, it sounds like she's also associated with healing and protection. So what would so what exactly would she be just a patron of those three or is there more too?
Speaker 1: The thing is that the way that we see death is death and life are the same thing. And I don't know how fen you are with like in Mexico, even though it's a very misogynistic culture in many ways, but there's this contradiction and if you go into the houses of the average Mexican, if you look to the media and culturally, like our history and all that, it's a matriarchy in many ways. So when the Spanish colonized the indigenous Mexicans, what they did was to like fuse the virgin Mary with the local feminine deities. So Santa Marte kind of like I think sprong as a reaction to against that many centuries later, you know, because in Mexico, death has always not only been respected and revered and celebrated and worshiped, it has like it's part of our daily lives. And we understand we don't really see a difference at the end of the day when it comes to you know, life and death. It's part of like one same cycle. It's like life and existence in it's to tell. So the way that we talk about that and relate to it is very familiar. It's like someone we've known our whole lives, even if we are like not devotees of Santa Marte, but it's always there. I mean, we're not afraid to talk about it because yeah, it's very different from here than you know, from in the United States, because you have like a different kind of religious thinking that plays the foundations of the United States. It's kind of like more like evangelistic, and it was very different and over here it was like the brutality of Catholicism, you know, the Inquisition and all that. But we already were like really hardcore here. I mean, the rituals and the beliefs that we had here, and like that's what's looked like in the face and in the US, like this never happened, you know, and there were there was no fusion of traditions over there and over here, there was like a complete fusion of like cultures and beliefs. So it's I wouldn't say that she's a patron of this and this and this specifically, because I know of people here in Mexico who will go to her for like pretty much anything and everything. When you go to some of these like occult esoteric stores here, you will find effigies and candles for santamorte, for health, for like abundance, for love. You will find like for protection, for like legal justice. You know, people who have like cases in quarter or relatives who are in prison. Whatever. I mean, there's a candle for that, you know. So it's not like she's devoted specifically to one thing. She's like she covers many things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you think that part right there? Her covering many things could even be a little bit of like kind of like Mary's Catholic like influence or not so much influence. But like the other other version, you know what I'm saying, because you go to marry for anything. Yeah, you could see that like maybe crossing over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I mean you still like the aparage. Mexican is very quada lupano, which is like, you know, devoted to the virgin of But there are so many others, particularly in recent times, that you know, that figure like of the Benevolent Mother no longer cuts it because you have people who are like on the fringes of society who are fighting like to stay alive, whether because they're what they do for a living is dangerous, or maybe they make very little money, or or they are you know, struggling with really difficult things, you know, alcoholism, drug dependence and sort of thing. And I think that Santa Marte comes across is very universal and therefore non judgmental. There are some traits, of course, of the connection with Catholicism as far as like some people do like incorporate her into sort of like masses and they say Catholic prayers to her in her honor, and like there's no rule book, it's you can't say this is allowed, and this is not allowed because everyone here makes makes their their beliefs and their like practice and their faith, their own but it's kind of like more inclusive and more universal because even if let's say it's someone didn't have a mother figure, or if their mother figure was very lacking or very negative, Santa Marte is like truly universal because she connects with us all because she was there at the beginning and she will be there at the end regardless of anything we do. So I think that alone is what makes her like a very good alternative for people who are looking for a protector that is completely accepting and someone who still has that mothering sense, you know. But and she manifested like like with feminine energy from the beginning to this witch that I mentioned. But yeah, I mean I think that's that's the thing with Santa Marte. That's why she's like quickly, if not replacing like the Vision Delu aka the Virgin Mary Mexican version, maybe she's not replacing fully, but she is like competing like on very similar levels of like endearment and respect and attention.
Speaker 4: Thank you, you mentioned something about Guadalupe, not to get off the topic. That's the same one that I think. It's like a painting or whatever where now they're finding that might be like music in the air and there's actually like stuff within her eyes. I covered something a long time ago about like this painting of Guadalupe. There's some wild stuff in that thing. I don't know that's the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I'm a bit skeptical because anything that comes from the Catholic Church directly and that is kind of sponsored by them, I'm very skeptical of. So. Yeah, I know that there have been like lots of studies on that figure and that sort of thing. I basically see it as an instrument of like colonial manipulation and mind control. So it has taken a life of its own because of the faith of like so many millions and millions of Mexicans for centuries. So now it has like a different type of value, and I wouldn't be able to like so easily discounted. But as far as you know, there being like like evidence and proof, I would be a bit skeptical about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is so I guess what would be some practice? Is there any like specific practices or I do know, I think I could be wrong. Isn't there like once a month, like they pray with rosary beads? Or something like that's kind of a tradition or something like that, Like what kind of practices go wrong.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, I mean, as I said, some people like hold masses in her own this has to be done like kind of like outside of Catholic Church because they don't approve of it, and it's like admitted as an official like saying by any means, but people still like let's say that you happen to find a priest that is a Catholic ordained priest, but maybe they are like open or accepting of this idea, like even if non officially, maybe you can ask a priest to like come to your home and hold a mass in order of Santa Marte. I'm sure that happens. And as I said, there is no set rule book. Yeah, people do row adios for her, but I don't know, like I think that maybe is like once a day. It can be once a day or three times a day.
Speaker 6: You know, it did the amount of devotion and what people promise to Santa Marte, you know, and one important thing is that you never like with Morte.
Speaker 1: Devotion to her and like being in connection with her comes very differently, like you say, from other types of you know, practices or like believe systems, because she is considered more like a member of your family. You know, once that she is present in your in your life, in your house, you are expected to treat her as family. So this is why the offerings people bring her can be like money, like pour her drinks, bring her cigarettes. Some people bring her like marijuana cigarettes if they if they themselves like are users fools. And you are expected to like talk to her as you would talk to like a friend over drinks, you know, or over like a cup of coffee.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So it is a very personal and in a way informal practice. But you know, those those who like do more elaborate rituals for like specific purposes that I wouldn't know because I would have to have like personal knowledge or involvement in that, and so far I haven't like participated in any such ceremonies or rituals. I know that there are people that do bring like maybe sacrifices money, of course, but usually it's very very like personal, and there is no like organism or soul authority that sanctions how to petition her or how to like work with her, or like present your devotion to her. So it would be kind of like difficult to like establish because you know, there's a pilgrimage around like maybe once a year that some people do to this alter in Mexico City, in Tepito. I don't know the I'm not sure right now. It doesn't come to mind the exact date when this happens. But I mean, yeah, people do like a big celebration there. They bring things, they bring their effigies and and all of that, but it's I don't think that it can be said that there are like specific procedures that are to be followed there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now have you ever been to well what about day of the day?
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Well, the thing is that day of the day is not precisely like a celebration of Santa Marte. It is connected. Day of the day is celebrated by almost i would say every Mexican household in some way. That celebration has existed since pre Hispanic times because over here back then there was like the goddess was Mickland tequickly and she had like this male counterpart. Also, mick Gland was a place where where the souls of the dead had to like get to after you know, dying in this world, and there was like a series of obstacles that they needed to surpass in order to reach that destination. So that's why mickland tequickly was like worshiped because people were like wanted safe passage for the spirits of their deceased. So from then, well after then the conquista from the Spanish and Catholicism, it intertwines with those beliefs. And right now, I mean it's like usually Day of the Dead is it starts the celebrations on the first of November, which is what we call for the little death, like the young death, like children who especially those who died without being baptized according to the Catholic Church, but in general, you know, children and like the younger death, you know, start arriving on November first, and then November second is when like the older death arrived. And you said, up this altar if you want on your homes decorated in specific ways that still carry significance from all the way from back from Prospanic times. You know the flowers and pasucci leon and these decorative elements, you know, these picado which is like paper decorated with like motives and you know, you see dead. You can see also you know Catholic saints right now, everything that is used to decorate and you place usually it's food and drink. It used to be like actual real food, real drinks. That the death that your loved ones who have died, that they used to enjoy when they were living. So you put that there in a corner of your home with some candles. People also if they go like all the way, they like to create like a path with like sempasuchial flowers from the entrance leading to the altar, so that the spirits and the source of the death can find their way to the altar. But if not, I mean in most businesses and homes and offices and all that you'll find like small altars just you know, with photographs, also possessions of like personal belongings of the deceased and things like that and commemorating them the food and the drink. Sometimes they are replaced with like pretend food and drink. Know, if you can't have like actual food there because of you know, attracting flies or whatever reason, you are at least you know, allowed to place like a like a simulate a plate of food or things like that, you know, and cigarettes. People like to leave that out in case they're deceased. Relatives or friends like to smoke drink as well. So but over there, curiously, I mean that is in death is implicit, but it's I wouldn't say it's the same as like a Santa Marta celebration. A lot of people probably like bring her out if they are believers in Santa Marte, but if not, I mean it can be like independent from.
Speaker 2: That, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Actually what you just said is to me, it's a first you said it's a whole month. It's not just those two days because the days that you gave coincide with three major holidays. Not you have Halloween when the VELAs ten, and then you have all Saintsday and all Thursday.
Speaker 5: So I found that interesting.
Speaker 1: So it's like no good, Yeah, sorry. Here in Mexico, I mean, we do know about Halloween, and there are a lot of parties, especially you know, Halloween theme parties, but it's not approached from like a like a religious point of view or in any way or a spiritual point of view, unless you are like following those traditions. You know, there are weekend witches here in Mexico, not as many as in the US or elsewhere, but there are some of them, and those people who follow those traditions will celebrate also, so whay and you know, do something those days. But the celebration of the day of the death usually comprises strictly of like November first and November second. So yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Also have another one.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you addressed it earlier, but does she have sometime when they have a dedicated day for those who celebrate her, particularly like this day.
Speaker 1: I seem to remember they do, but I can't remember the date, so that's why I don't want to venture anything. But yeah, I think that once a year there's a celebration and a week celebration held in that altar in Mexico City, and people, you know, some people who come from other places in the country or the world travel there to pay their respects on that day. I do have that because I think that there was a story on the news and the interview Enriquetta, who is the founder of that altar and the keeper of it. But I don't remember which day it is, so I'm not even sure if it coincides with like Day of the day, or if it's a different day.
Speaker 4: There is a I know there's a shrine anniversary November first, and Torpedo. Okay, okay, good you're talking about Maybe.
Speaker 5: I do have another question for you.
Speaker 3: Now, Mostly when people deal with deities, even if they coincide with the Catholic saints, because that's usually some traditions, that's how they hide their worship for them.
Speaker 5: But have you found her in other parts of the world.
Speaker 1: I haven't found her, but there it is documented that there are Santa Morte worshipers nearly all over the world. I have read that in several articles. And I think that there's a book that came out a few years ago by an American woman who, like I remember because it was kind of controversial when it came out because she's like white and American and she I think she's an academic, but she wrote this book about Santa Martin. Some people were like really angry. But I think that she was really not appropriating it. It was just like she does I don't. I think that she is a believer in Santa Marte, but I don't think it was presented as if like she found it or she started the whole thing. So but in that book, I think I believe that that's why it was published because there's a growing interest and in all over the world for Santa Marte, you know, because it is unusual that in these times we're living in that there is like a new faith that came out quite recently and also gains a lot of traction, you know. So yeah, I mean I think that there is There are a lot of people all over the world who who do follow and believe in her, not necessarily all of them like Mexicans, like who maybe are living elsewhere, but people from different nationalities.
Speaker 5: Sorry do they.
Speaker 3: But the name is the same. It's still Santa Marta. They don't have like a different name for her, like like.
Speaker 1: In whatever I think that they call it. There is a figure they have I think it's San Pasqual or something like that that in practice it's very similar. So it's kind of like likened to the Santa Martin in many ways. And I don't know if it's in Argentine or something. They call it San Lamerte, which is like a kind of like a forced masculinization because it's kind of like sand and then Lamerte, So I don't know. I mean in Latin America, there is that that very old phenomenon and it's somewhat similar, but it's not as as formed as it is here in Mexico, you know, by comparison. And also I think that some people find similarities between some of the deities in Palomajumbe or Santa Ria and what I was doing research also for for this conversation. It's funny because I think that some people, because of the language barriers, they might think that Santa Ria is a cult of Santa Marte. But no, I mean, Santa Ria is a very different thing. It's a different tradition and it's like a whole practice with like a collection of like deities that I incorporated there and Santa Marte, like the votis of Santa Marte. Some people will call them Santeo's, But you have to then ask are you saying you are a Santeo because you are a devotee of Santa Marte or because you are like in Santaia and a practitioner of Santa Ria. Because it's two different things. So that would be like the only observation that I have there, and I don't know of any other like similar practices that kind of like use like with the effigy or the likeness of Santa Marteo that called it Differently, those instances that I just spoke about are the only ones that I that I can recall and say that, okay, maybe this this or that, But to my knowledge, it has not like being because she's like a syncretic version of as I mentioned, like the Virgin figure, but in some ways it looks like her, but it's like it's not like it's just like the skeleton with these ropes, and it's approached in the same way as people would approach a saint, a Catholic saint, but she's not a recognized like Catholic saint of course. So yeah, I mean I don't think that it's like that it exists as it is in other countries or like mythologies or practices.
Speaker 3: Thank you for clearing that up, because I actually made that mistake. I actually thought that she was part of Santaria, right, So actually, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had a question, Oh I think I mean I remember now, but I just I think you pretty much covered it, and I would assume it's probably not really as I was going to ask, is there other maybe God is that you could see maybe having a little bit of her attributes. But I mean I think that's kind of Mary, you said before. But besides Mary, would there be anybody else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I am not an authority, but I think that in many cultures, like in Europe and Indian Americas, and even in like the East, you may have like a lot of like deities for like entities that kind of like symbolize death. But I don't know if we could talk about like the same level of worship or the same popularity, because these are of course ties to like all ethnicity in many instances. So I the thing that is different about Santa Marte is that she's very like open and welcoming, so because it doesn't have like like that ethnic and cultural law if you want to view it like that. So yeah, I mean I don't think that in that sense I could like compare her with like actual like goddesses or gods of like death and and such things in other cultures. I mean you can maybe find like that common root, which is of course you know, the life force behind all of them, but they are approaching extremely different ways, and some of them are like not traditions that are alive. They are maybe some of them still are, but it's like very closed because as I said, it's very linked to you know, ethnicity and uh time and place. You know, the location is important in such things. So in that sense, it's it would be too different from you know, Santamorte. I'm sure that in India there are several deities that can be likened to Santamorte in some aspects. But yeah, I mean that would be kind of like a good opportunity for someone like to do like a comparative mythology study or comparative theology in that sense. Uh, because yeah, I mean, it's by no means is it the only instance of like the divinization of death. You know, it's it's like just maybe the most recent and the most popular iteration, especially nowadays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Judy.
Speaker 4: Do you have anything you want ask?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wanted to because since you said she's not associated with Santa Aria, she's.
Speaker 5: Not associated with any religious structure.
Speaker 1: At all. She stamped in that sense from the Catholic tradition, so you will find, you know, the figure itself physically has a lot of blatant similarities with the way that saints are portrayed in Catholic churches, and people will do Novenaz prayer, rosaries, do certain Catholic prayers towards her, but there is no structure. Because that's an interesting thing, and I'm glad that you asked this. There have been attempts from the believers themselves or the leaders of these cults to Santa Martin to kind of like regulated before, you know, the government, for example here in Mexico, like make it like an accepted religion, you know, for people to enter onto their documents, what religion are you, Santa Devil d. But it lasted for like two or three years, I think in the early two thousands or something, but then the government found irregularities with the issue is that the people trying to make her official later turned out to be like actual criminals, you know, doing things that were above the law. So of course that brings the whole thing down. And that's one thing that I found very meaningful while I was researching for our conversation, because it turns out that you cannot or should not because nobody tells you what you can or cannot do, because again, there is no structure, you know, to follow but it is not well seen or like accepted to kind of go to her and ask her, I want you to kill this person or get rid of this person because like they're in my way or whatever. You know, you have to ask her for things that are just and kind of like fair and not like she's not a hit man, you know, So some things you can ask her, you know, for protection for like success and abundance, and that way she can help you if if your heart is like puring that intention and you're bring being straightforward with her and respecting her in the way that you should, she can't help you attain those things, you know, but not by kind of like saying, you know, getting rid of obstacles in this brutal ways so that you can profit of it. I mean, some people very likely have done this, and then in the end of course, these things never turn out well. Which when I was reading about all those there have been tours really attempts by different people to kind of like make her like an established government acknowledged faith or cult, and they have never kind of like succeeded because they have you know, they haven't had the best intentions. So I found that like very meaningful you know that you can of course ask her for support for whichever you need support with, particularly with you know, protection and health or having a peaceful death, which came up a lot in my research, but you cannot like ask her to like It's not contrary to what isn't popular media and on the news, She's not. I wouldn't categorize her as like a bineful type of cult or painful work. I'm sure people do bainful work on her behalf or under her, but inherently it was not. It wasn't like it didn't originate with those intentions. I found that it was like very evenevolent and even you know that story about the witch who first saw her in Katemaco vera cruzz witch Matt Deel for his whole adult life after the first time he like witnessed this apparition, he devoted himself to her, and he reached an old age and it was when it was sti for him to die he saw her again. But this time he said that he saw like a little girl dressed in white, and she kind of basically came and told him that she wanted to thank him for everything he had done, you know, to get her to others who could need her help and such, and that was the last time he saw her. So to me, it was meaningful that the first time he saw her or she didn't like it was not during a painful ritual and it was a message about, you know, offering help and comfort and protection to people, not like as like an avenger or like something that was more violent and in the end, at the end of his life, while he saw like basically a child dressed in white, which is also I think one of the most positive images that you can associate with any like spiritual presence of any sort. So I think that I'm not saying that people do not use or try to use Santa Marte to kind of like do other types of ritual work that is more painful, but the origins of it are like very far from that as far as I have researched.
Speaker 3: So it sounds she's very unique, and I could see how the misunderstanding could come on how people view her outside of the culture, because I'm looking outside, looking in out in the Western world, and most ddis you mentioned are either associated with either an organization or a patheon, but she's something by herself. There is no she didn't come down and lay on the law and you even said it, which is something people try to emulate. But with her, to have a relationshipship with her, you have to actually have a friendship. You have to actually have a relationship, which is completely different. And I think, unfortunately this is where a lot of the misunderstanding come.
Speaker 5: Because if you came to me.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know about anything like this, and you say you prayed a Sata Mouta, first, I would think you were dealing with Santa Ria. Second, I would think that she came from Catholicism, which she did not. So it's not even associated.
Speaker 1: She's just.
Speaker 3: She's a manifestation of hope. If I misspeak, please forgive me. From this point of view, for those who are needy in the I would say, in my opinion, I think she comes more from the Native American side of the indigenous people of Mexico, and that's why we in the western world I'd have a problem understanding her completely and mis labeling her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, like a Mexican of the twentieth twenty first century, she is very syncretic because a lot of her visually remits me or reminds me of Catholicism, but when the deeper you find nothing of that and you find other things. So it's kind of like a perfect blend for me personally. It's kind of like if the image of the virgen dead a Lupe was deprived and cleansed from all of that charge of colonialism, then you would have Santamerte, you know, for me, for me, But I don't think like if you go to the average like Mexican Santa Marte devotee, they won't say that. They will just tell you that they love her and that she has been with them through the worst moments of their lives and that she has helped them do this and this or that or solve this and this and that problem. And it's very very personal. So it's like a relationship with your own mother in a way. But it's not like a deity of the divine feminine. It's like a lot more universal. So it's very it takes a lot to understand from someone looking from the outside, you know, And even for me, I mean, I would have to die deeper into her low and the practices and that sort of thing. I am somewhat close because someone I am like very close with and someone that I love very very much is kind of like a devotee in her own way of Santa Marte. So I have seen firsthand that relationship develop and it's very organic, and it's very unique, and it's very non like, not demanding in the way that so many other deities or saints are, you know, it's very different. So yeah, I mean, I think it's it's one of the reasons why it's it's it's worship and it's called its expanding so rapidly, and I think that given the times we're living, it will expand even more. She is, you know, she protects outsiders, which means that she protects immigrants, and she is on the side of usually justice, not because she is personally invested in one side or the other, but because like death comes for us all, so you cannot have favorites in that sense. So I think that it just echoes a lot on the circumstances that so many of us are going through right now. So I expect to see her take a lot more protagonism in the coming decades.
Speaker 4: Even it was a really good question, j and I wasn't really looking at it from that angle, but that is a really good point.
Speaker 2: It's almost as if Yeah.
Speaker 4: Very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh. One thing I did want to ask and kind of bring up the kind of go back a little bit before. But I mean I think we kind of talked on it a little bit already. But uh, would you think maybe due to I guess maybe a criminal activity, cartels or even how pop culture will associate it with it. I mean, this is I was just I'm just gonna put it out there, you know, a little bit more conspiracy theory. But there's even been times we've covered like cartels or supposedly cults that were killing people, and it's it's like, did you just throw the Santa Morte on there just to you know whatever, I don't know, it was not really an issue because then you find out the CIA was behind it. So like you gotta wonder about the whole storyline. You know what I'm saying, Are you throwing Santa Morte? And then it look like all these are some psychos but this is really its you know, you have no idea, So so do you think all due to that? There is a misconception too about even you know that it's not all negative because you know, from the whole time we've been on the show. I mean it sounds a little bit different from probably people's ideas just do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I think so. I think that for I have a very particular and maybe it's controversial position when it comes to like what has been taught to us about what's good and what's bad. I think that it's not possible to separate the two. You always find both things mixed because it's life. I mean, even like in a single person, you find like all of these things that are like these glimmers of good and and there's there's bath, and we are never like one hundred percent evil one hundred percent of the time, I think, because then we would not be humans, we would be something else, the same with you know, the goods, you know. But cartels are of course a reality, and they've done a lot of harm. But you know, governments also do a lot of harm. And the everyday person you know, who may not be seen like as a criminal on the same level as a cartel member, but they also do like a lot of harm in other ways, you know. So yeah, I mean, it doesn't surprise me on one hand if cartil members, particularly those that are like on the front lines go to Santa Marta for protection because like it's very dangerous. Yeah, But I don't know like the motivations behind each one of them and their actions. What I do know is that well they may have you know, the t shirts, tattoos, the big things Santa Martin. But that's one thing, and the other thing is like the choices you make and the actions you carry out. As I and as I said from my research, is that because Santa Marte is kind of like it would be a kin to maybe somebody praying to modern nature for protection or like it's one thing to do that and another to you know, pray to Mother Nature for Oh I wish that so and so would get struck by lightning or diet in an earthquake, because they are on my way. You know, if you do that kind thing, ah, you are likely not going to get what you want, at least not in the way that you expect. So what we see with the cartels is that, of course there's always violence and like chaos and death and things like that that are it's it's it's the very nature of the business. So I think that it's because maybe they themselves feel like they are so far out outside of society, there's nobody they could turn to, because like maybe they are they see themselves as beyond even the understanding of you know, with Hende gull A Lupe the Virgin Mary, So of course they are going to turn to the next mother figure that they can think of. And because she happens to be you know, scary looking from so many people, they're like, Okay, this is kind of like my match. But I would wonder if it's not more of a thing about the iconography just being you know, very fitting with the idea of oh, yes, I bring that because I kill a lot of people and my business is death, and therefore Santamarte is my patron. It might be something as like simple as that for them, because I don't see such a type of individual being able to have like a serious practice, a serious like routine to pay their respects and to cultivate a true relationship with Santime or they or with any deity in their circumstances. And I mean, there's little time to even think about that, and there's not enough like peace of mind to even like find that space within their own spirits to have that kind of relationship. So yeah, I mean of course, it's a natural fit from like the esthetic aspect, and therefore it's become very conflated with like these negative tones and intents. But if you take your time to really look into it, I think that you come to this conclusion. You know that it's not inherently like evil. Will there be people that have bad intentions who turn to her for the wrong reasons, Yeah, but it's not that that's always the case, and the same should happen, you know, for people who are very like Catholic or Evangelical Christians and they are very devout. But then you go and even though the association that we have from the outside is very positive, but that's where usually you find the most evil intentions ironically, you know. So it's kind of like you have to have those two sites pressed and at all times when when it comes to discussing these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: That was awesome, he said, thank you very much. Story.
Speaker 3: I do have another question, because of her uniqueness, would you think that she she's almost a form of ancestral worship, like there was like some traditions I don't know in Santaria and Vudu. Usually some people say the spirits that people worship, were once alive, was once human beings. So do you think she was either a person who wants to walk the earth or is she just a complete entity that came from her, came out of the ether.
Speaker 1: Uh. I don't think she was very a person. It's uh, it's just this phenomenon, this energy, this life that has always like life and death. You know, they are eternal, you know, they as far as we exist and the planet exists. I mean, it has to start. It all had to start at some point and it will finish at some point. So it's kind of like beyond that scope, you know. It's it's that energy, that drive that we cannot possibly like comprehend, so our human brain finds ways to put that into a terms that we can comprehend. So for me, it's such one of such scenarios, you know, the anthropomorphization of this event or this energy.
Speaker 4: You know, that was exactly what I was thinking. It's almost like an archetype of like one snippet and like a story. Mm hmm, yeah, that's what's Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: Was there anything else that you wanted to ask Judith if you had any questions or ideas?
Speaker 5: For now, I don't have any more questions.
Speaker 3: I do have to say you have enlightened me completely and have dispersed any misconceptions I've had about Santa Montage. And it kind of saddens me that we don't get to it's not are here in the Western world to build that relationship. But how it's been how can I say it's got a bad she's got a bad rap due to the misinformation, misuse, and misconception. So I've gained a lot of respect, a lot of respect.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes me happy.
Speaker 4: A very different idea what you're still looking into it than what you're typically used to hearing about. That's why I brought that out because, like, you know, like I think, like maybe something when you're trying to get at too, like if she's associated with death, I mean, that just encapsulates so many things that could fall under that. Unfortunately, you know, you could die from a heart attack, or you could have been tortured to death.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So when you hear of like a cartel or you know, these people doing this stuff and that name pops up and they're killing people, I think a lot of people just automatically think it has to do with oh, they're using this person, so they can kill these people and get away with it and summon their spirit and feed so and so. You know, all these you know, crazy ideas people get with this stuff that I have no idea anything about it. I think that gave it a bad rap, and it's just as a whole on the side whole of.
Speaker 2: The same in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's important, especially you know, post pandemic in Mexico. I think that people found her during the pandemic. Yeah, I mean, and you would think, oh, but it's death that is bringing all of this illness, and no, no, it's just like these things happen every years in the world unfortunately. H But if there's a way, if there's a figure an energy that can offer you some comfort, some dignity and some peace in dying, you know who wouldn't take it, you know, especially in those moments for those people who were not able to be with their loved ones when they passed. So it's very understandable to me that now there's kind of like been not not a resurgency per se, but just like a very strong push for it. You know. That's a different type of faith.
Speaker 3: I do have because and I might be I might have I might be remembering this wrong. When we were talking about your book, you were saying that she was the motivation behind your work.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Right, So.
Speaker 5: Way you're continuing, you're showing her in the proper light to the world.
Speaker 1: Actually, I there was something. There were some things that happened right after I handed the draft the manuscript draft that I wan't share fully here, but there is something that I mean. I'm not a Santa Marta devotee, but I did at one point have a dialogue with her due to a personal situation that a loved one was going through. And it's very meaningful that you brought that up now, because that was one of the things that went in my mind when I was having this dialogue with Santa Marte. In that sense. You know that my practice is not like centered in her, but she's been kind of like around me for several years near me, and after this, I thought, well, I think that I need to do something to discuss to start talking more about what I'm not. I'm not going to be arrogant and say what she really is or what she really stands for, but basically have a more like a wider and more realistic, less, less sensationalist perspective about what Santa Marta means for so many people, you know, because it's it's it's nowhere near what is shown on media. So I think that I'm really appreciative of this opportunity, and I'll definitely be doing some more research and hopefully some writing about her at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, look forward to it.
Speaker 4: I think for myself, I think I'm pretty much out of questions or whatever. Again, it was a topic I don't know much about it at all, so that was great for me. Was there anything you wanted to ask Judith before we wrap it up or anything else?
Speaker 5: No, I'm good, all.
Speaker 4: Right, awesome, No, thank you, Thank you, Cherry. Was there anything you wanted to add or anything else that you left out or you know, not right.
Speaker 1: Now, but really this conversation always, I'm so happy and I'm so excited that you guys have my books receiving like comments, even if like all types of feedback, you guys, I'm serious.
Speaker 4: Good, all right? So yeah that I guess we could wrap it up here. Awesome, awesome show. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Again, that was just tons of information that I knew nothing of prior. Judith, thank you so much, great great questions. I really appreciate it. Cherry, well, Judith. Before before we wrap it up, let everybody know what's up with you when they can find your show.
Speaker 3: First of all, thank you Cherry for coming again. Hopefully you'll be back again. I'm hoping, I'm hoping.
Speaker 1: I'm you.
Speaker 3: You actually cleared up a lot of myths and you I see her in a brand new light now, So thank you again for that. Thank you Nick for having me on and you could. You can find me on YouTube and.
Speaker 5: On x as the loan.
Speaker 3: I do the weekly I do weekly brunch, and I also do a buddy check once a month.
Speaker 5: And thank you again Cherry and Nick.
Speaker 4: Thank you and Cherry. Please let everybody know what's up with you and where they can find your book.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. Well. You can find me at Cherry Red, Underscore, tattled on Instagram and threats uh. I have my links there to buy my book. My book can be bought like pretty much anywhere books are solved. I have links in those profiles as well. My books are open for tar out readings if you want. And I'm really appreciate you this Nick that you had me here again. It was so amazing and yeah, I mean, I just I'm always happy to say hi, so hollor wherever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it was great. I'm really really glad we had you back on. It was a pleasure both times. Again. If people didn't hear the first time, go check it out. She came on for the Left Hand Path of Taro. Yes, go check that out. Awesome show. And yeah, hopefully hopefully we'll get you on again for something else or you know whatever, We'll see what we can do. But yeah, thank you, and yeah, that's the end of another Recult Rejects and until the next one, everybody be well later.