Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rovera. He's Jenkins zaaliz. Now we're gonna have Brian with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is High on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, exactly, Hey, growing pains.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, so let's start with some University of Arizona news, some former Arizona Wildcats and see how they fared in week one of the season. Sorry, Dimitri's playing again. Fowls defits it back for the forty nine ers. He had an interception last night, his first career infl interception.
Speaker 3: Local kid too, right.
Speaker 5: Is any good kid Mountain View one of those. Yeah, it's somewhere on the outskirts, right. But I was watching the game when he had that. I take it back. I had the game on. I heard his name, and then I was like, oh, okay, I recognize that, but good good for him.
Speaker 3: Forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Look last night, even without Christian McCaffrey, when they turn up this guy who comes out of nowhere and he's running back and runs for the yard.
Speaker 1: I think some of the people said before last night's game that the San Francisco played, Well, you're gonna see a repeat of last year's Super Bowl, which was a very good game.
Speaker 3: Who knows they lit up the Jets though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Rogers, you didn't watch the game. He's still kind of indifferent.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I again, at this point, his guy wouldn't went on my team.
Speaker 1: I was when I heard that, I was thinking of you right away, because he's that guy that's just a surdy, know it all kind of guy.
Speaker 5: He just yeah, I agree, agree with you. More trouble than anything, more trouble than he's worth for sure.
Speaker 3: All right. Who else? So he was planning in his out of doun View High School.
Speaker 4: All right, Yeah, Jordan Morgan offensive line for the Packers. Let's see, you played sixty five of the packers sixty seven offensive snap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he started and left tackle. It just it just has offensive line.
Speaker 5: Okay, but I think started the left tackle for the Packers, which you know you say, okay, you're a left tackle for the Packers if you think about the history of those guys and the people that have played that position. But you know, he was a first round draft pick, you would expect that he's playing so good for him.
Speaker 3: I see Nick Folk hold that folk still around.
Speaker 4: You converted a forty yard field goal, made a couple of extra Titans.
Speaker 5: He's with the Titans, all right? They got beat? Well, they had Chicago beat. Was the Chicago they? Yeah, they had Chicago beat and they at one at one point because I had Chicago in a in a in a money line parlay and uh. At one point I texted Pat Pat Finley, who covers the Bears for Chicago. I said, he wowed me ten dollars for the parlay, and then like right after that they scored, and he text back and said, see what I did there?
Speaker 3: So they ended up covering.
Speaker 5: But I got hose because I had the Falcons who lost lost at home.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the hell?
Speaker 5: So anyway, I didn't do so well in the NFL yesterday, I well, I hit something.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what I hit. Oh, I know what I hit.
Speaker 5: One where I got lucky in that the Seahawks spread against who did the Seahawks play Denver?
Speaker 3: Denver? Okay?
Speaker 5: So the Seahawks were giving six and a half and the game started and Denver kicked a field goal, so the line dropped to three and a half. So I got it at three and a half. Had I gotten it at six and a half, they would not have covered. But I got it at three and a half and they did cover, and that helped me hit a little parlay for a little bit of money.
Speaker 3: So I did.
Speaker 5: Okay, that won like forty bucks or something like that over the weekend.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 5: Hey, you got to you gotta play. If you don't play, you can't what's it? What's it?
Speaker 6: You can't win if you don't play it? Okay, something like that the old lottery tagline. Okay, we got Roy Lopez, defensive lineman for the Cardinals. I played a big role in the game. Cardinals ow upset the Buffalo Bills yesterday as well.
Speaker 3: Steve's not happy about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't cover. Buffalo didn't cover that. That TD return killed them, killed them. Well they still want it's better to be one of those da YadA. Well, Arizona hasn't covered either of its game. I didn't close, Yeah, I didn't close. Christian Roland Wallace special teams for the Chiefs. He played sixteen special team snaps with the Chiefs in their twenty seven to twenty win over the Ravens on Thursday Night.
Speaker 5: How long ago was he here. Do you remember Christian Rowland Wallace? It's been not relatively recent. Yeah, I've played five years, I think. All right, Okay, Tony Fields, linebacker for the Browns. He's still playing in the NFL. Good for him because he was a guy who kind of was not like a major player. I mean, he played a bunch and he kind of came, but he wasn't a big name on those teams. But you know, sometimes you know, like Robert Golden, right, I mean he was good. You know, he was good, Crookshank, you know, those guys were good, but you know, did you see them as NFL players while they were here?
Speaker 3: Borderline?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, you know, and those guys played in the league alone. Golden still in the league, right, No, No, he's out. Okay, A little bit of news on Fields. He did suffer an ankle injury and he's weak to weak.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: They'd have a couple of tackles in the game. Yep, I got tenyor McLaughlan tied end for the Bengals. Didn't play on Sunday against the Patriots.
Speaker 5: Maybe he needs to because they lost those But go Patriots. I'll tell you what God, Oh, that's right, yeah, you you were. Was it a Brady jersey that you were in here one time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know.
Speaker 4: I was very surprised they won, like I was expecting. Everybody was surprised they won.
Speaker 5: They're the worst team in the league, with all due respect, and they get and they go over and beat the Bengals at home.
Speaker 3: But the hell was that?
Speaker 1: Did you guys? We were continuing, guess right, did you guys?
Speaker 3: Go ahead? Uh?
Speaker 4: Jacob Colling, wide receiver for the Niners, rookie wide receiver, didn't see any steps in four game I think you see on the practice squad or is he on the roster? Did you guys listen to Brady?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't want reviews. But there were a lot of mixed reviews.
Speaker 5: There were some people saying he was kind of like Captain Obvious right throughout the throughout the thing.
Speaker 1: Don't you think that I surely did this give it an addition rather than just say, no, you're Tom Brady, here's the job.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: I think they said, oh, you're Tom Brady, here's the job. We're going to be three hundred million dollars. Not he was kind of like this on this radio. Just look, it's a hard job, all right, and it's hard and it's hard. And then they put you, as you know, on the number one you know broadcasting team. You know, the deficiencies are going to show right, right, and and so. But if you're going to bring in Tom Brady, you're not gonna put him. He's not gonna be the number three guy. So they had to put him. Where do they put him? The thing is, did you know, did they practice some games? I'm sure I would think you think would, But you know, I didn't practice any games when I went and did the Sugar Skulls, and I was nervous as hell, and I don't think I did a good job the first two or three games, well until I got comfortable with it.
Speaker 1: Well that's the whole thing. You think that they would have done all that and then pay them.
Speaker 5: But then on the other Tony Romo was good from the first time he got on the mic. Greg Olsen's another guy who's been really good from from the get go. It's it's not an it's not an easy job. Uh, it's not an easy job to do that, especially on that stage.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. You give a guy a hundred whatever, the contract just they give him more money.
Speaker 3: Three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: When they give them that money, guess what they're gonna do. We gotta you gotta show them, you gotta show what we're paying for.
Speaker 3: Whether he's media ore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't see enough to make a determination one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Did The word is that Olsen's much better Tony Romo's much but I guess in time, in time, yeah, give him some time. It's like him starting off, No, just kidding him, started out the Patriots. Somebody gets hurt, he comes in and it does really right.
Speaker 5: Uh Yeah, Look, the guy clearly has high standards for himself. So I think he'll I think he'll he'll probably get better, but it's not that's not an easy job. I'm guessing he was more nervous doing that than he was in his last Super Bowl, right, probably, Yeah, because he hadn't done it before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, captain. I think that's a good phrase captain because he was. He was, But maybe you expect too much from him too right away.
Speaker 3: No, No, when you're.
Speaker 5: Getting paid that kind of money, you're better be good right out of the Then he's going to be it's gonna be a while. I mean, he he may get good, but when you're when you're getting paid that kind of jack, there's no breaking period.
Speaker 3: You got to be good right from the start. In my humble opinion. Okay, so so there was.
Speaker 1: We'll use that analogy for Arizona football when much is expected, but just expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: Is well, if yeah, Parizone's getting paid three hundred million dollars, you know.
Speaker 1: They're paid some paid something. Those kids are getting paid something, Yeah they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, what else did you? Let's switch over this story regarding Sean Watson. Oh god.
Speaker 4: NFL says it's reviewing a civil lawsuit while Monday accusing Watson of sexual assault and battery in October of twenty twenty, when he was a member of the Texans.
Speaker 3: Why wasn't this involved in or but I saw it was twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: No, that's what this article says, twenty twenty. Why wasn't this bundle in the previous things? And the thing about it, he's not even any good.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing. And they're saying, what's you know? Yeah, I mean, why are you putting up with this when he's not any good, right, you know, the Brons given have given him all this money, all this guaranteed money.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Steve, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I I imagine whether this lawsuit has any merit to it. If I'm the Browns, I'm trying to find a way to get out from under this guy.
Speaker 1: He's getting me six whatever it is, How are you going to get out of that?
Speaker 5: There's gotta be a clause in the contract, because when he signed the contract all this stuff was going on. There has to be something in there that says, if you do this again or if another thing comes out, we get out of this contract. If the Browns didn't have that in there, then shame on them and they and they should have to eat the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Right, You're right?
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's over to the NBA. They are the expansion is on the table. They just don't know yet. According to Adam Silver, I'm hoping.
Speaker 7: Well do we?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, are there some some some city?
Speaker 1: I thought I thought Vegas was next, or possibly Seattle again, going back to Seattle, I.
Speaker 3: Thought Seattle would be one. You know, if you lose the team, shouldn't you not be able to get another one. Yeah, Seattle seems like that place.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean that's you know what. You know, Baltimore loses its team, they go leave underground and they gave them another team, right, you know, right back. You know, if you don't do what it takes to keep your team, and I'm not saying you should be building them in the stadium, it's that kind of stuff, but it should be you know, if if if a franchise is unhappy with you and you can't figure it out, I don't know why you should be rewarded with another team.
Speaker 3: That's just me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks like Vegas and Seattle are still the top of the contenders because they'll have to do two, right, they're not going to do one.
Speaker 3: No, they are the thirty teams in the NBA right now. Yeah, I mean you want to thirty two? Yeah? Okay, all right, that's really all we have for today.
Speaker 1: All right, So I guess it was something we missed sister in today's night's so we didn't have that. Lily Hauser has committed to the softball team. You know, she's the daughter of Wendy Allen Hauser, who Wendy played for Mike Candrea in the early twenty twenty three, twenty zero zero three, two thousand and three, two four seasons. So some of those legacy people are coming back, so they're having kids. Either kids are coming year old Jan I'm old year old brow except for Ryan here oh man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think continue she's this is our third year or fourth year, fourth year, I think because we just finished the third year to see how they eventually come through, or maybe third year.
Speaker 5: We finished four years. This is our fifth year. He started in May of twenty twenty. What about the kids, We've done four years?
Speaker 1: So Tommy, Tommy, Jed and didn't stofotball coach come on at the same time, all three because there was three members all the same time, and then Jed left. So I think this is going to be her fourth year. Yeah, yeah, so we'll say fourth years. You know, she got into the playoffs her first year, kind of got in at the last minute, and here we are.
Speaker 3: Ye and where we got come about a min and a half?
Speaker 5: Did you did Matt Sunday huss looked like Max and Dae Hus on set. I'm like, like they said he was coming on, and then I'm looking through my binocularies and that's not Max and dhas he looked bitter or what's to you?
Speaker 3: It just it just his face just didn't.
Speaker 1: Look like when I saw a photo of it. I'm thinking, that's what he looks like that Max.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, right, I mean, look, okay, he graduated from the u A.
Speaker 3: And what what do you know about it? What do you know about him?
Speaker 5: Just on the top of your head, Well, I know he I know he ran a restaurant for a while across from the u A. I don't know a lot about him, be youngest and in terms of his post Arizona life, well, what.
Speaker 1: About during during the life, Well, he was a little goofy, you know what.
Speaker 3: Way, I don't know.
Speaker 5: The story that I have about him is that I was in I'll pass it for that Sunbol that they tied gets Georgia six eighty five somble, we're run out of time, eighty five stumble.
Speaker 3: So the team leaves, everybody leaves.
Speaker 5: I'm at the hotel at the standing at the team hotel, and I was there and I'm having drink with some friends in the bar. The game has been over for hours and the team is gone and he walks into the bar with the team went home without him.
Speaker 1: Well, I was with obviously David Adams and Byron talking about how good he was, how good he was and the late game success. He says, if there's anything he did, he had a lot of the Hispanic women following him. Oh god, okay, you know when you're a football hero. Yeah, I hear you. He says he had the lock on them.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go, and that's where head football play.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 5: That's I just, I just I don't didn't know him personally, but I just saw him as a little different. He had some differences too. Okay, all right, let's take our breaks. Take a break.
Speaker 9: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of in stock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best. Arizona Hound, the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Willnot.
Speaker 8: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos in caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance, Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two six eight five six in MLS three h eight seven, arizon A b K Ninez two nine or two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lydrid syn credit greats and available loan programs or suchuch change them.
Speaker 3: Notice.
Speaker 10: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey mantal So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fun.
Speaker 3: Hobby that can be very profitable.
Speaker 10: If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served for our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 13: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today, really insured and cinguway.
Speaker 14: Gout bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert Pest management specialists can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes for more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, streaming.
Speaker 2: Live on the iHeart Radio.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez on Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 1: Fit Pig walking about to while ball.
Speaker 3: You know Fox except sever Bara the Biss today.
Speaker 4: I will trying to the door. I'll tell you fire.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: Well, all right, so a little drawing pains again here. We're just we're trying to get George Kelly, the head football coach at Empire. They're off to another another good start. Those those schools over in bail are just killing it. But uh, you know, we're we're you know, these guys are just uh, you know, I don't know, I don't know what's going on on there, Steve.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're doing very well.
Speaker 5: You know, when you when you got Michael Mountain, you've got uh, You've got uh Siena has been good for a long time. Now you've got uh Empire there. They've won their two games. Uh, they got Ironwood Ridge coming up on Friday, so we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, let us know when he's there. George, Are you there? George, are you there? Go?
Speaker 3: This is our first day, George with us. You gotta bear with us where we're in a new studio for the first time.
Speaker 1: George, just like coaching freshman footballs.
Speaker 3: What's going on? What's going on over there?
Speaker 1: You guys are doing trumendous Not that it's a criticism, but you guys are killing it.
Speaker 7: Oh man.
Speaker 3: You know, it's only two games in the season.
Speaker 7: Let's not get too Yeah. I was.
Speaker 5: You've been on a bit of a streak though. You You won your last five last year, so you've got seven in a row. Something's happened over there. What What do you think is happening with your program.
Speaker 15: Right now?
Speaker 7: You know, I think it's just a culture change of the program.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 7: I think it started just with getting the right coaches in the building, getting these kids around, the right guys.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: So I think my coaches every day and we have a small staff. There's there's seven of us all together. There's myself, George Kelly, There's mag Magnuson he's our online guy. There's Alan Fletcher, he's our quarterbacks coach, specializes in coaching our quarterbacks, so that's always a great help. There's my brother James Kelly. He works with our receivers and linebackers. Then we have our JV staff. We got a great head JV coach, Derek collins Worth. He he's awesome. He was actually our golf coach, but very familiar with football. Then we have the head wrestling coach helping us out on JV, Corey Schiers. And then uh, one of our alumni, one of my old players from back in the day, Cody Mowen. So I got to give a shout out to them, and he's helping with the JV big guys. So it's always good when I can, uh, you know, get somebody from the program to come help in the future, right, So you must I don't know.
Speaker 1: So it is the job board taxing that you don't have enough people or you you have very few people.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's only seven of us. So there's there's all seven of us coach varsity. But we don't get that many kids coming out for football. We we we have our school is probably about eight hundred and fifty kids that go to our school. We're not known to be the sports school, so we get for two programs we want to. We run a JVB program, which is freshman sophomore, and then we run varsity. So if a kid is a junior, he's automatically going to be on varsity. And so for each team, you know, we have about twenty five true varsity players and about twenty four true JD players freshmen and sophomore. So we don't have that many kids that come out for football.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that begs the question.
Speaker 5: Then you know those kids that you have, and you've got a program with not a lot of kids, and yet you're still pretty damn good.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: The thing is, you know, this is going on my sixth season, you know, and that's including COVID as my second season, which we really didn't have one. So you know, right after COVID it was almost just starting back from ground zero. Pre COVID, I was getting about eighty eighty eight kids coming out for football. Now we're getting maybe fifty or less. But you know, at the end of the day, it's a lot easier to manage. And then you know, the kids get a lot more personal one on one and a lot more coaching. They get a lot more reps, right when you're dealing probably with a bigger school with a lot more kids. They probably don't get as much reps as our kids, so maybe that could be the difference.
Speaker 1: Tell me, tell me about the fund Gooney kid. I guess he's a running back, linebacker. Yeah, I guess he was a player of the Week recently for All Sports Tucson.
Speaker 3: It must be a pretty tough player, man.
Speaker 7: He is. He's a great kid. He was originally a soccer player. And you know, around that time COVID, right after COVID, you know, we were hurting for players. So I would go to all the soccer games, the baseball games, the basketball games, trying to get kids to come join the program and let them know who the football coach is over there, which is me. And you know, I was really sought after Nagankru Twant Gooney because he's just an all around athlete. And I was like, man, he can play football. He's big, he can play football, he can play this game. So his sophomore year he came out for football, and you know, ever since then he's been taken off. He was the highlights standout his sophomore year on Bar as a defensive then come his junior year. He missed three games his junior year due to injury, but he was a standout and defensive end and running back. And this year, you know, he's just got that much better.
Speaker 1: What's what's his background? He's an international player.
Speaker 7: Uh, he's not international. I mean he was born here in the States, but you know he's from Cameroon. His family, his dad is in his family is all from Cameroon. You know, Soccer is his is his main sport that you know culturally that they that he grew up with. And so you know, you ask him anything about soccer, he'll give you all the answers in the world. If you ask him anything about NFL or college football, he has no idea you know, who players are and how they play. He doesn't really watch football like that, but he loves playing the game, I can tell you that. And he just knows what he knows. So one thing that's great about Empire. We do get a lot of kids that never played football before. But they're like an empty shell and all you have to do is fill it out. Yeah, versus getting a kid that played football all their life. And you know, it's always a struggle with those kids to buy into what you're doing. Right. Bad habits, Yeah, bad habits, it's hard to correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well a kid like him, you know, who comes in with no bad habits? Where does the love for football come from? For for somebody like you know like him, who you know, as you said, grew up playing soccer, that's you know, the sport in his country. And how do they get the the the what's the right word love or just the you know, the urge to play football?
Speaker 3: And why that's that's it? What's his size? Because you sounds like eleven one ninety is what he's listed here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's he's he's five eleven one ninety five. He's he looks the part, he's every bit of the part. But how does he get to have football grow on him? I mean we're sitting there on the radio show talking about football. He just or knew about it. And so I, you know, I give that challenge to anyone who doesn't know anything about football. You get to know it, you're gonna fall in love with it. It's just that sport, right, And so I think that's just that bug hit him, you know, that bug hit him. We got him out for football, and it took some time to get him out. You know, it took some you know, convincing of parents. You know, parents don't aren't too familiar with the sport either. They think, you know, you go into football, you just get hurt and those types of things. And I had to talk with the mom and it's awesome, man. It comes from an awesome family too. And definitely appreciate his parents for allowing him to play football his sophomore year because he's he's a heck of a player.
Speaker 1: So so now that you have a kid like that, do the other kids kind of is it like a not allergic, but is a draw to him that they see how well and how fun he's making the game, they kind of maybe become that player too.
Speaker 7: Man. You know, I think if vice versa, it's both ways. You know, I think we're surrounded not just by him. We got other athletes, you know, we got you know, I can't give enough credit to our offensive line. You know, our offensive line is the biggest line that we've had this year. So you know, games are one up front and so and that translates down to our defensive line. And I can't give enough credit for our defensive line too. You know, a lot of our skill guys, our dvs and linebackers. We're not the biggest guys out there, but we're sound and we know how to play football. And so I think both of all of our players combined kind of compliment each other. And so when you have that complimentary you know, not only he plays better, but our team plays better. Not only that our team will play better, he plays better. They feed off each other.
Speaker 5: Right, We're talking to George Kelly, the head coach at Empire High School. So give us a little bit about you know, what what do you look like in the early part of the season. Here, you got a couple of wins under your belt. I guess I'll just ask you this way, why have you won those two games?
Speaker 7: You know, the biggest thing that we wanted to do this season is just bring some consistency and bring you know, confidence to the team of what we run and try to find an identity of who we are. My first year is coaching that Empire High School. I come from a defensive background, and you know, I was very successful in establishing, you know, a defensive culture. You know a lot of times you would hear like, okay, Empire, They're not that good, but their defense is solid, so you still got to work to score, and we keep scores low. However, we never had that offensive side. We never had the offensive scoring and learning how to score. So last year was the year I took over the offense. I gave away the defense finally to my coaches. But they've been around long enough that they know it. So when I took over the offense, you know, the first five games was a learning experience, not only just for the players but also for me. And I would Austin tell him, you know, I'm learning this just like you guys are learning as well, you know. And it took five games for us to kind of get a good formula running offensively, and you know, the last five games it clicked for us, right and so so now I call the offense teaching the kids how to win. I think that's the biggest difference, because you know, we weren't winning in the path.
Speaker 3: Well, that's kind of contagious.
Speaker 1: Once you start rolling like you did five straight and two straight, is it kind of contagious, the confidence starts filling in. I'm assuming that your quarterback is maybe the same guy from last year.
Speaker 7: Yes, so Bryce and Duncan. He was He was originally our starter. He had went down with the concussion in one of the games, I think it was against lah Hooya, and then we had to get another guy in there, which was he wasn't that bad either. He had went down last year we played with like five different quarterbacks, so that was another struggle. But eventually Bryson came back and you know, he did his He did his job, and he's learning, he's matured and he's growing. And then it's just one thing I love about high school football. From one year to another, you can just see a kid's development and it's outome to see.
Speaker 1: We kind of joke, we kind of joke with the U of A coaches at least last year when Jed was here. He came in and struggled early and all that, and then he got better players and all of a sudden he became a better coach.
Speaker 3: Is that the way you feel? I mean, come on, you're doing really well.
Speaker 1: How have you transitioned or maybe learned a little over the last maybe year and a year and a half.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I got to give credit to some of the coaches that are around here. They have no idea how much. They've actually helped me. One guy in particular, I'd just like to get thanks to a coach. He's known as a legend out here. His name is Jay Kompos.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know I had I had a chance, you know, with in the last couple of years, especially when I told him I'm taking over the offense. He's actually been guiding me and being my mentor. Low key, he probably doesn't know he's my mentor, but you know he is. Uh, he's probably gonna find out now, who knows. But I got a chance to pick his brain. Guys like al Alexander, they all over at Suarro. You know, I see him around town a lot, really close friends. I pick his brain every time I see him. He just probably doesn't know, you know, I just slide it into conversations. Man, Hey, how was that Vijon kid when you were coaching him over there? I need to figure that out because I'm the running back coach over at my school. And you know, I don't say it that direct, but you know, I come and you know, you get around those type of guys. They love to talk football and I man, just coaches that are around. Another guy, Mark tex Sterrat two man, he's a great guy. He just fed a lot of knowledge and so that was some of my personal development that I wanted to bring and take to the team here at Empire.
Speaker 1: And we've got about we've got about a few a few minutes, one minute left to coach. What's next, what's next this weekend and beyond?
Speaker 7: Uh, you know what's next Today. We're about to get out there on practice right now, you know, preparing. We got a defensive day for Ironwood Ridge, and we're gonna take it day by day and and get ready for this game.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you get eight in a row, well then we'll set the parade down the road. We'll wait a little while. Okay, So he's coach Row, all right, appreciate it. That was George Kelly from Empire.
Speaker 5: High School again, right, yeah, you know, and and you know he talks about, you know, talking to Alexander, talks about Jay compos You just got this feeling that in Tucson, and maybe it's another place too, but in Tucson, all these coaches they're all kind of in the same boat, and it's a fraternity that they well they compete against he each other, they still they seem to be friendly with each other.
Speaker 3: They help each other, yeah, and that's a cool thing to say.
Speaker 1: And even like each other when they're trying to beat the heck out of you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We saw this with the CEO with peace right and d for great friends and yeah. But when it comes to the field, it's different exactly. Okay, Hey, let's time to take a break. Yep, Yeah, okay, let's do that. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 16: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to trans from your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get your started and keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial dad available, It's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 3: Learn how at Pima dot Edu.
Speaker 8: Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve vera heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 1: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder vender or a leaking moved, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 3: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 1: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen note Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Steve Vera and Jake and Salles. They have their eye on the ball. On Tucson Sports Stage Chat Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: May we left to lie on the ball here All Fox Sports forteen fifteen say Rivera.
Speaker 3: Jacobs, alas got our guy?
Speaker 17: Ryan?
Speaker 9: Thank you yet get my boot?
Speaker 3: Sixteen minute?
Speaker 1: Oh I see it's the one on the right now of the Yeah, okay, on the left, left one left? Okay, great, So take some calls. We can test us here for the next sixteen See if Ryan's got it, If we got it, Tony's working with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who is it taking? Who has they called before?
Speaker 5: The boy?
Speaker 3: Robert Robert is it? Robert Ryn is Robert Robert we're ready for you now. Yeah, what an interesting questions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you really did. So we'll we'll get to that. Well we'll let a mask it instead of just starting to talk about it. But you know, again, just so much discussion, and I guess it's a good thing, right that people are actually carrying about Arizona football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, they're not talking basketball yet. Yeah, yeah, you know, so I guess we I guess we got that going for us, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Right right. I think, well we talk about the next two Texas Texas after that a very winnable game, but they haven't played very well.
Speaker 3: They don't look that good. They don't look good.
Speaker 5: They got they got beat up at Washington State I think one of the first games.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, this last weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think before they played uh the smaller scho Arlington or of Hard and Simmons or whatever. I believe it was like fifty two to fifty one, and they really won that.
Speaker 18: Ye.
Speaker 3: So all right, so maybe we'll get a call here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so uh yeah, you know again, these two these these two games are just uh we just we just expect them. I expect them to lose them both. So we'll see what happens. Yeah, okay, well we got a call. We're just trying to get you into hang on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hang on.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to figure this out. So I Tony, you're not going to go to Detroit, stick around with us. You're gonna be our You'll be able to parachute every day this week. Okay, you got them yet?
Speaker 3: Nope? Not yees Okay, so you can hear here we go either you're on the art on on the Ballico, what's up?
Speaker 18: Hey man, I want to talk about the Cats.
Speaker 3: Many You're you're realistic.
Speaker 18: The Cats are like one of those narrative girls in school, man, that has potential. They're just not reaching it yet. We knew a good You should have been more pissed.
Speaker 5: Oh I was mad, but again but I was. I was mad, but it also was tempered by the fact that they won. So you know, in the end, when I put my head on the pill, I'm like, they won.
Speaker 18: I'm just saying you weren't that way about New Mexico State or New Mexican whatever team was right?
Speaker 3: Right? Oh, he's inconsistent. It's all right. I'm a lot of it. No, what did you see? What did you see? Nico? Did you go Now, I didn't go. I got COVID really.
Speaker 19: Got it.
Speaker 18: Didn't go, man, I didn't want to sit through that.
Speaker 3: No, I went. I went, and I was in the north end zone. Uh, great seats. I was certainly nicely than in terms of was barely three hour games and which a three hour game. And there was people there. There was a lot of people, that good crowd.
Speaker 18: I'm just saying. Halfway through the game, I was thinking, is this going to happen again?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right, yeah, And I'm not gonna lie it.
Speaker 5: When when it was ten to three, I mean thirteen to ten, No, ten to seven, they were down. Oh no, Arizona was up thirteen to ten, and any you got the ball two times when it was thirteen to ten, and I thought, if any of you goes down and scores and takes the lead again, we got a problem. So the second they went that fourth and one and one, but the defense just didn't let them and and uh okay, and then.
Speaker 1: Ko I can't remember if we asked you what you thought the season would end up, you know, eight and four seventy five, what did you remember?
Speaker 3: What did you say? Or did we ask six and six? So is that still at six and six.
Speaker 18: Eh, if that be Kansas State, they might get seven.
Speaker 3: If they be Kansas State and Eico, they're don't get nine or ten.
Speaker 18: Maybe, man, I don't know, it's weird, man. I'm watching a lot of big twill football, which is hard for me.
Speaker 1: But all right, there's a lot of good teams then yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, thanks Nico, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, anybody else want to call? Hey, Robert, were ready for your call?
Speaker 3: Just come on in. More calls at least Tess, Ryan, have Tony to save.
Speaker 5: Us five two zero, four one, six, seventy four forty. We'll try and we'll try and get you on without a lot of dead air. So again, we're figuring this out. But you know, we're going to kick this thing all over the place all you know, the rest of the week. You know what's going to happen, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Six and six. I don't think they're six. They kind of look like a six and sixteam right now, I know, but.
Speaker 5: I don't they Yes, they look like one, but I don't think they are one. No, are they are they a ten win team? They don't look like a ten win team. No, I think they look like they can be an eight and four team. I think right now, based on what we've seen, I think there's more chance that they're going to be an eight and fourteen than a six and sixteam, just because I think the defense. Look, I give away that first half against New Mexico State. They've been good since then, right, they were really good the second half of New Mexico game, and then they were good Saturday night against.
Speaker 3: So if they don't get the running back back, uh, you're okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I liked what I saw last week. Those guys were good and and speedy. Luke still just hasn't seen the ball a lot. He well, he's got to not. He's got to hang on to the ball.
Speaker 1: Guess what, You've already established that reputation, you have it, Yes, he's got that.
Speaker 3: You got to get rid of it somehow, somehow.
Speaker 5: I like what I see in the Patterson, the receiver, and you know the on the return games. He's gonna bust one or two this year, and and so I think that we're going to see we're gonna see him do some things that I don't know why he's going to do. Him as a receiver, but he's certainly doing those things as a as a you know, kick returner, special team guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so I I you know, I don't know what.
Speaker 5: We don't know who the other receiver and we not see much from right. Uh, what's the lamonious craig?
Speaker 3: Right? So the tight ends you have?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they they threw the tight ends all you know, all day? All right, we got to call her coming in. You're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 19: Hey, it's team money here and tooth what's going on?
Speaker 3: If you had to follow an ECO, didn't you tea money?
Speaker 13: Hey?
Speaker 17: So that that uh, that offensive line, man, I don't care. I don't know what it's deal. It's scary, merit. He's gone like I don't, I don't. I didn't know how they got that guy through, you know, on campus anyway.
Speaker 7: But that that situation is, that's just the loss.
Speaker 17: Like just he's gone, Like I wouldn't even give that guy a second thought. But the offensive line is the key here and going in the season, I think, hey, man, nine wins, ten wins, look at this, but these last two games just taking the wind out of my sale. And it's it's the old line. If Fafita can't figure it out when he gets pressure, right, and that's that's really disconcerting. Like I thought he was better than that. It's comforting myself thinking maybe at COVID or something like. It's scary.
Speaker 2: It's scary.
Speaker 17: And but for better or for worse, these last two games, they're done. They're throwaways, and it really starts a case stake. And it's going to be first quarter in Manhattan. If if they're they're looking you know, like uh, deer in the headlights, then it's gonna be a long season.
Speaker 5: Well, I think when we were talking about them being really good all along, it was gonna be if the offensive line was good and held together and they didn't have a lot of depth. And we're already seeing problems with the depth and the defensive learning too. Right, Yeah, yeah, so I think you know, but that team money, that's the issue with any team, right. If your offensive line is having injuries and guys are missing and guys are out of position, you're gonna have a tough time to money.
Speaker 3: You said you're out of town, you're not team. So did you go to the game.
Speaker 19: No, I didn't know how to do some other things, but I mean I followed, and and uh it's is one of those things where you know, after the game, guys are saying, you know, the office didn't come to play and things like that, it was just another.
Speaker 17: Late night Tucson stinker. And like it's it goes a long way too, Like we talk about filling up the stadium and doing these certain don't do that. Don't do that. Don't let people feel like they wasted a Saturday night. Yeah right, right, but uh yeah, it is a war of attrition and it's whoever goes down first. And unfortunately, you know, in the first two games, we're seeing our O line be decimated. But uh yeah, hopefully, hopefully there's a lot of hand ringing on my part, but unfortunately, I don't think it. I don't think it's gonna come out.
Speaker 3: To see what happened. Okay, thanks, thank you, Tom. I appreciate the call. Yeah, I think he's he's been realistic.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, I don't blame team money or anybody else who feels like he feels. I do not, you know, I don't grudge him any of that. But the thing is that, you know, there's a lot of football left to be played. These games that are coming up. Now, you know, there's there's not gonna you know, there's not gonna be the well they they could just kind of through the uniforms on the field against ANAU. That's not going to be the case going forward. All the rest of these games matter to these guys. So it's just gonna be matter of do you have the horses you need to win these games? And I think that's what we're what we're waiting to find out.
Speaker 3: So this is what's this. This is not the time we have left.
Speaker 20: No, we we were out at sixteen fifty seven. Okay, yeah, we got Oh it's so oh that's the time of the day. Yeah, that is a military time. That's a clas military time, military time. I don't know what that closs is military seven hundred.
Speaker 5: It's four fifty about to be four fifty one in the afternoon our clocks, and we got to be out at four fifty Okay.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I think we got a lot of time. No, okay, we still got time for a call called Robert, if you want to call.
Speaker 5: Back, we still appreciate what well, yeah, we're trying to save the conversation for you if you call about no fa fida and and uh and and how much he had to run around on Saturday night. But uh, I know again, you know these fans who are we are feeling like things aren't happening or it didn't look good those first two games. I don't disagree with them. But what I what I do believe is you got to let this play out, and it will play out, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: That is the sensible reasonable guy. I haven't known five years. Talk you're getting old in your time or whatever. You've been reading gospel books or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm trying to fend off the people who think that Arizona sucks.
Speaker 3: I really am.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to fend him off because because I I don't think you know, I don't think we know. I don't think you know how good this team can be or how bad it's going to be, if it's going to be bad, and and so I'd say, just give it, give it more time, to let this thing develop and see what they look like the next two weeks or the next two games.
Speaker 3: It's it's two games over a three week period. The quieter gentler JA I like it.
Speaker 5: I you know, I'll tell you what the fact that this game is on Friday and they're the ones that have to travel, I think that's a factor.
Speaker 3: Well, and being there with a pretty good crowd, right, I think I think this is going to be a hard game to win on the road a place you've never been to. And on top of that, if they pull this off, you know what I'm gonna hear from you on Monday. I told you. I told you so.
Speaker 1: You need to relax and guess what that could happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could. They could win this game.
Speaker 5: They could get their faces beat in, or it could be you know, a close game, you know, into the fourth quarter or whatever, all of the above.
Speaker 3: Any one of those things can happen based on what we've seen this first.
Speaker 1: So listen soon for a second. That they that they go to uh to t back like they did in the first game. You're not gonna mind that.
Speaker 5: No, not at all, not all. Thrown the damn ball, Throw the damn ball. Okay, we've got another collar. You're on the air and I on the ball. You're on the air.
Speaker 15: It's Robert calling you guys back.
Speaker 3: Robert, thank you for calling back. What's your question, Robert?
Speaker 15: What is Fafita not supposed to run the ball? Is I mean, is it going to be a pattern if they blitz them or they come at from all the time that we don't score, we don't move the ball. I mean, if that is what's the word on that? Is he not supposed to ramble and getting yards.
Speaker 3: Or I think I think he can.
Speaker 5: I think that rather he didn't. You know, he's he's not a big guy, so he's not you know, he's not a speedst He's not Kyler Murray. He's not, you know, one of those guys.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think he can move around, uh, you know, when he's under pressure. But he was under too much pressure a lot of times on Saturday.
Speaker 1: He was not thinking about moving forward. He was about just trying to get out of the way, right.
Speaker 15: I understand that, But I mean that's gonna be a teams are gonna key on that. And if they start doing that and we're going to just sit there and not score, we should have put up fifty to sixty points on Nau And uh, I mean, is it gonna be a thing where he's just running for his life back there to not get you know, sack or get hit. Do they have a I'm not saying to switch him, and not not by any means at all, But if the game gets like that, is it going to be their quarterback that could runs the other the backup quarterback that no, no, no, actually run the ball.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think. I don't think that.
Speaker 5: I don't think the offense is designed for that for him. You know, even though the run pass option, he's he's handing off the ball. He's not, uh you know, he's not gonna He's not you know, what's his name, Lamar Jackson. I mean he's he's handing off the ball. And look, I mean he didn't he didn't run the ball last year and he was highly successful, so you he doesn't have to have to be able to run to be successful.
Speaker 3: Robert, what would you understand?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry?
Speaker 3: What grade would you give him two games in?
Speaker 15: I don't know, maybe a B minus?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 15: The team after the first B minus was talking.
Speaker 3: About what about the team? Did you go to the game?
Speaker 15: Oh? The team? I didn't go to the game, and I was listening to him talking with my brother about it. But uh, the team, the great for the team, I think it's about a sea so far, because I mean the defense played good one game, well one game, and then the offense stump it up the next team. I think they're average right now. I think I think they're gonna get a lot better. But I just hope that, you know, the thing of putting that much pressure on Buffeta doesn't become a you know, season long thing, just like with basketball, when they threw his own that the airs on the wildcare basketball team, it's like we were lost out there.
Speaker 3: Well, Robert, thanks for the call. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate it, all right, So okay, yeah again, yeah, again, that one. I don't you know, they don't. I don't think they want no for feet to running the ball. I just don't for a lot of reasons. First of all, I mean, he's quick enough to be a quarterback at this level. He's not fast, and you don't want to put him at risks, right And I think he's got really good instincts.
Speaker 3: Pocket awareness what they call it.
Speaker 5: But you know, the other night, you know he was you know, he was turning around and getting away from but then there was another guy right there. He just couldn't get out of the rush. They were they were they were killing him. They were, they were, they were He had nowhere to go, He had nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: And so well, and you don't want to put him in a situation where there's a chance that he could get hit pretty heavily, you know. Yeah, so so I wouldn't put him at risk, at least not now. No, you can't let me see this. And I don't think i've heard this yet. It's right or die with no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're not. There's question right there. Yeah, no it is.
Speaker 5: And and you you know, I, as a fan, I don't want to see him put in harm's way in that way. You know, they can run the ball without him having to run it, then I'm all in on that for one hundred percent. And and and you know the passing game again, he didn't run the ball all last year, right now. He escaped a few times, got some yards, you know, even did that in the in the New Mexico game, he had a run where where he broke loose and he scrambled and and and he got some yards, got it and got a first down. If he does that, that's okay. But I don't want any designed runs for him. He'll have to do that right, you know, Uh, you know, I don't think he's a guy that's going to do a quarterback draw. Give it to the guys that you know, are built to run the ball, and and that's the way I see that. So I don't have any issues with him and not you know, not running the ball at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Uh, we're going a little longer to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got got about another minute. We've been asked to go to near to the top of the hour, so we're going to do that for We got about another minute. I can't take any more calls, but Steve, you know, we're gonna look, this is gonna be the conversation.
Speaker 3: All week long until they play another game to.
Speaker 1: Tell them some some pretty good news that we've got today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, we did get some good news.
Speaker 5: We're gonna be uh, we're gonna be doing our show from Casino Dell Soul at the Sports Book once a month.
Speaker 3: This was the big announcement we were talking about.
Speaker 5: We're trying to figure out the number of days we're gonna go on and we're trying to still trying to figure some things out. We're gonna do it either on a Thursday or a Monday to be able to you know, lead into the NFL game on those days.
Speaker 3: Uh, we're gonna do it one one time a month.
Speaker 5: We've just found out about this sort of got finalized today and so we're gonna figure out that.
Speaker 3: We've been waiting for what days those are gonna be.
Speaker 1: So, so maybe you have a chance come and see us. Yeah, we'll let you know plenty of time when we'll be there exactly.
Speaker 3: All right. I think that wraps it, So let's get out of here. We'll see it all tomorrow, eh,