Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope with Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: We are so glad you're here with us.
Speaker 1: Today we're going to continue our series called The Keys to a Blessed Life, And in these messages, Rick walks through Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and shows us how to live a truly hopeful and purpose filled life. Today, we're back with part two of God blesses a heart of integrity.
Speaker 3: So how do you get it? How do you get integrity? What does it even look like?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: In Psalm chapter fifteen, the fifteenth Psalm, David gives us eight characteristics of what it means to walk or live with integrity. Let me read it to you Psalm fifteen one to five. Lord, who may stand in your sanctuary and who may live on your holy mountain?
Speaker 2: And what's he talking about here?
Speaker 3: This is a metaphor, he said, God, who gets to be close to you? You, That's what he's saying. Who gets to be your friend? All that thing stuff I just was talking about earlier. Who gets to live in your presence, Who gets to experience your power, who gets to understand your peace? Who gets to live your purpose?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 3: Who gets to be your friend. That's what he's saying. Who may stay in your sanctuary and live on your holy mountain. Here's the answer, the one who walks with integrity. Circle that walks with integrity. And then he gives us eight characteristics of a man who has integrity or a woman who has integrity, and here's what they are.
Speaker 2: A Number one.
Speaker 3: He speaks the truth from his heart. You don't lie when you have integrity. He refuses to slander others with his tongue. WHOA anytime you put down anybody else, you've.
Speaker 2: Just lost integrity.
Speaker 3: Anytime you slander anybody else for their politics, or their religion, or their lifestyle, or any other difference, cultural difference, whatever, he says, you've just lost your integrity. He refuses to slander others with his tongue. He won't listen to gossip. Oh now we're meddling, says. If you listen, not share it. But even if you just listen to it, you've lost your integrity. He will not cast a slur on his fellow man. Instead, he honors those who fear the Lord, and he keeps his promises even when it hurts. He lends his money freely without charging interest. In other words, he's very, very generous. That's a mark of integrity, and he cannot be bribed by money. Whoever does these things, these things will never be shaken. You won't have security in your life. You want to get rid of all the insecure in your life. Get integrity in your life. You want to have stability in your life, Get integered in your life. You want to have the confidence Tom was talking about. Then you've got to get integered in your life. When you lack integrity, you go through life insecure. The Bible says the man of integrity walks securely. And the whole reason you don't have security, the whole reason you feel insecure so much time, is because you lack integrity, wholeness, authenticity, and an unmixed motivation. What I want to do now is give you a little checklist. It's a pretty quick checklist. It's not going to take a lot of time for me to explain it. In fact, I don't have to illustrate it because once I say these things, you'll understand it. Integrity demands that every area of your life is treated with the same intensity that you say, I'm going to have the same commitment to excellence in my marriage as.
Speaker 2: I have in my career.
Speaker 3: I'm going to have the same commitment to excellence in my ministry and in my parenting as I do in making money. I'm going to have as much commitment to the right motivation as I do into doing the right thing. So let me just give you six of the common ways you can work on these this week from the Bible. Number one, you become a person of integrity by keeping your promises. By keeping your promises, people of integrity keep their word. If they say they'll do it, they'll do it. If they say they'll be there, they'll be there.
Speaker 2: They say you.
Speaker 3: Can count on it, You can count on it. People of integrity keep their promises. This is verbal integrity. And the Bible says in Proverbs twenty five, verse fourteen, people who promise things that they never give. He says, they're like clouds and wind that bring no rain. He said, they're worthless. There's been a hot bunch of hot air. This is vapor, and there's nothing to them. They don't bring wind, they don't bring rain, they don't bring any benefit.
Speaker 2: They're just all smoking mirrors.
Speaker 3: So my question to you is this, what promises have you made that you have not kept? And you need to keep them before integrity? Say, have you made some promises your kids? Broken promises are the number one cause of bitterness in children. The number one cause of bitterness broken promises that parents said. I said up, Mom, you said Dad, you said, they break the promise. Have you made a promise to your spouse about something you're going to change and you haven't done it. It's a broken promise. Have you made a promise to God, a spiritual promise, a vow and you haven't kept it. That is a lack of integrity. Now I know that what happens is we say, well, the circumstances have changed, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: If you made a promise.
Speaker 3: You got to keep your word, even if it is not beneficial to you. Do you remember that Psalm FI we just read. Let me look at it again here on the screen. So I'm fifteen verse four. God blesses the one who walks with integrity, who keeps his promises even when it hurts, even when it cost you more. And you thought I was going to cost you. You keep your promise. I said, I'd sult to you for that. I'm gonna sell it to you for that, even though it's worth a whole lot more or whatever. You keep your promises even when it hurts. I remember when Matthew, my youngest son, was young, and he really struggled with panic attacks as part of his mental illness. Panic thanks are not mental illness, but he had that in addition too, and he struggled with a lot of fears in his life. And I really wanted him to go to camp, but he was afraid to go to church camp. And so I made a promise to my young son. I said, Matthew is sixth grade. So Matthew, if you'll go to camp, I promised to go with you, and then you can handle it. You won't be afraid. I'll be there with you. I'll be your camp counselor I'll go with you. And he decided he didn't want to go, so I went ahead and I took some other commitments that week. Then he decided he wanted to go. And I had made a commitment to speak to one hundred thousand men in a stadium of promise keepers in Atlanta. So I broke a promise to speak to the promise keepers, to keep a promise to my son, and I have never never regretted that. Now I would have had a whole lot more fun speaking to one hundred thousand men than being a camp counselor in sixth grade camp. You become a person of integrity by keeping your promises.
Speaker 2: Number two, you.
Speaker 3: Become a person of integrity by paying your bills.
Speaker 2: Now you may not think.
Speaker 3: This is a big deal, but it's a big deal to God. This is financial integrity. And the Bible says over and over and over and over again that the way you use your money is a test of your integrity. Do you spend more money than you make That is a lack of integrity. Do you get yourself in debt to things that you can't pay off, That is a lack of integrity. The Bible says, people of integrity pay their bills. It's like keeping your promises financially. Now, I'm not going to go into all the different ways, but let me just give you a couple. Here's a couple verses. First, you don't default on loans and you pay off your credit card. Psalm thirty seven to twenty one says the wicked man borrows and never pays back. And not only that this one's really meddling. Some of these are going to get a little personal here. You don't defraud the government of taxes. The Bible says in Romans thirteen, verse six and seven, the authorities working are working for God.
Speaker 2: Pay what you owe them.
Speaker 3: Pay your personal and property taxes. You say, but Rick, the government is wasting my money. Of course I know that, okay, And they don't. The government lacks integrity because they're spending far more than they take in. Okay, and they're doing deficit spending. But you don't get to do that if you have integrity. What they do with my taxes, they're going to be accountable to God for. But I am accountable to God to pay my taxes that do not cheat on them, because if I do, I lack integrity.
Speaker 2: The Bible says, to do that. Okay.
Speaker 3: Number three, you become a person of integrity by keeping your promises, paying your bills. And number three, this one's really meddling. By refusing to gossip. That's what the Bible says. This is relational integrity, and that is you don't talk one way with one group of people and then go talk about.
Speaker 2: Them behind their back.
Speaker 3: If you flatter somebody, and you butter them up and you like they're best friends, and then behind them you cut them off with the knees and you say one thing here and one thing there, and you gossip. The Bible says, you lack integrity. You don't have it, and you're not gonna have God's blessing on your life if you keep on gossiping like that, And the Bible says, if you listen to it. Did you know that accepting stolen goods gets the same criminal indictment as stealing it, and so accepting gossip is the same thing as offering it up.
Speaker 2: It's a wrong thing. Every time you.
Speaker 3: Gossip, you lose integrity. Do you talk about other people behind their back? Can you keep a secret? The Bible says this in Proverbs eleven, verse thirteen. A gossip can't be trusted with a secret, but somewhat of integrity won't violate a confidence.
Speaker 2: Do you know what we need today? We need men and women of.
Speaker 3: Integrity who know how to keep a secret and not put it on Facebook or blab it on Twitter, or pass it around on social media. You know, one of the rules of our small groups is what set in the group stays in the group. Why because everybody needs a safe place of a few friends where you can be real and be yourself and have not other everybody go publish it about you. Real friends walk into your life when everybody else walks out. And that's the purpose of a small group, one of the purposes. And so what set in the group stays in the group? Can you keep a confidence? Or as soon as somebody says, now, I've never told this to anybody, you.
Speaker 2: Immediately go tell it somebody else.
Speaker 3: If you do, you lack integrity. The Bible says this there on the screen Proverbs ten eighteen. Anyone who spreads gossip, God says you're a fool. Anyone who spreads gossip is a fool. It's a foolish, destructive thing to do, all right. Number four, I'm just going through these pretty quickly. Integrity is developed by keeping your promises, paying your bills, refusing the gossip. Number four, by faithfully tithing. Did you know that the Bible says that tithing is a test of integrity. One of the ways God tests my integrity is through tithing. Do I trust him with my finances? Do I put him first? Whatever? Wherever you put your money first is what's most important to you. Let me say it again, Wherever you put your money first is what's most important to you. And the Bible says that tithing is a test of integrity because Jesus said, wherever your heart is, wherever your treasure is, that's where your heart's going to be. So you can always know what's important to people by looking at it and where they spend their money. Here's what God says about this Malachi chapter three.
Speaker 2: Is it right.
Speaker 3: For a person to cheat God? Of course not yet. You are robbing me, says the Lord. How he asked me. You're spending my money by withholding your full tithe and offerings. Bring to me the full amount of your tithe to my house. Put me to the test, and you'll see that I will open the windows of heaven and pour out so much blessing on you that you won't even have enough room to receive it.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: This is a test, and this is a promise. It's the Pepsi challenge eirth Jesus, God says, I dare you to trust me on this?
Speaker 2: I dare you to trust me.
Speaker 3: Do you have the integrity to put me first in your finances. Number five, You become a person of integrity, keeping your promises, paying your bills, refusing the gossip, faithfully tithing, by doing your best at work. By doing your best at work, this is business integrity or vocational spiritual integrity. Tithing and relational integrity, not gossiping and financial integrity.
Speaker 2: Paying your bills.
Speaker 3: This is vocational integrity, of having integrity where you work. Do you do your best at work? Are you to just slough off when the boss isn't watching? See, some people only work hard when the boss is around, when the supervisor's around, and the rest of the time they're goofing off. They're playing around, they're standing in a watercolor gossiping. They're playing solitaire on the computer or reading some online magazine. They're they're taking supplies home to their house, ripping off the office. They're you know, taking breaks, coming in late, as long as they're not being noticed. You may have never realized what a serious sin God considers it for you to give a full day's work when you're paid a full day's wage. You don't have the right to goof off. He said, Well, everybody else is slacking off. Nobody else works hard in my office. Well, so what, they're not a follower of Christ, and maybe they don't care about integrity, and maybe they don't care about leaving a legacy rewards for eternity and personal stability.
Speaker 2: But you do.
Speaker 3: And so whether they work hard and well or not is irrelevant. Let me show you some just a few verses about this here in the screen. Proverbs eighteen, verse nine says this, slack habits and sloppy work are as bad as vandalism.
Speaker 2: That's what God says about it.
Speaker 3: He says, you know, if you're just goofing off and you do poor work and you don't really that's good enough for this. You know, nobody's gonna even notice. He said, that's like vandalism. Let me show you in the Living Bible. The Bible says this, a lazy employee is as destructive as a saboteur.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, we're really getting deep here.
Speaker 3: He's saying that if I am not given a full day's work for a full day's wage, I may hate my job. It doesn't matter if I hate it or not. I am actually vandalizing and I'm sabotaging somebody else's business if I'm not giving it my best. If I don't give it my best, then I lack integrity. Let me show you a couple other Versesphesian six six says this, don't work hard only when your master, that's your supervisor is watching, and then sure when he isn't looking, work hard and work with gladness, and that's enthusiasm all the time, even if you hate your job, as though working for Christ, doing the will of God with all your heart. It is God's will that you work hard and with gladness all the time, as if you were working for Christ. You see, if you're a believer, your boss is and your boss, your real boss is God. And whether anybody else sees it or not, you said, nobody's going to see whether I worked or not. God does, and he's your boss. Your boss isn't watching you all the time, but God is watching you all the time. And this is a test. It's a test of integrity. And as God's will that I not waste the time and the money and the resources of.
Speaker 2: The owner of the business or my employer. Let me show you another one.
Speaker 3: Colossums three twenty two says this, and don't just do the minimum that will get you by do your best. That's integrity. Are you doing your best at work? If not, you need to change. You need to what's called repent. I need to not just do the minimum. I need to give it my best shot, do your best. In fact, the next verse Colossians three twenty three, it's on your outline, says this, work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do as though you were working for the Lord.
Speaker 2: Said it twice.
Speaker 3: Anytime the Bible says something twice, you better pay attention. Okay, work hard and cheerfully is whatever you do as though you're working for the Lord rather than people.
Speaker 2: That is a mark of integrity.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Right now, here's Pastor Rick with a special message.
Speaker 3: Hi everybody, this is Pastor Rick. I would like to thank you. Thank you for being a part of our Daily Hope family. I don't get to say that often enough, but your generosity is helping us share the hope of Jesus with people here at home and literally all around the world, even in places where it's difficult and even dangerous to get the good news.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I recently heard from a woman named Eunice in Cameroon. Cameroon is a country in Central Africa, and she wrote to me. She said, Pastor Rick, I lost both of my son, both my son and my daughter in the war, and now I'm raising four grandchildren on my own. I was overwhelmed with grief. But then she says, but through the daily hope devotionals, I have found strength and comfort and peace in God's word. So thank you for helping me hold on to hope. Wow.
Speaker 2: That's powerful.
Speaker 3: That's powerful, and that happened because your giving is helping Eunus find the strength to carry on, to raise her grandchildren and to keep trusting God even through the deep loss of her kids. Now, right now, I wanted to tell you about this because we have a special opportunity. They're some generous friends who have offered a matching grant. What that means is whatever you give will be doubled, Okay, they'll match it. That means whatever you give today will go twice as far to reach even more people with God's word. So can I ask you a favor. I want to encourage you and give your best gift you can today. But together, let's keep bringing the hope of Jesus Christ to people like Eunus and to the billions of other people who still need to hear. There are still people who've never heard the name of Jesus. We want to keep expanding to get the message to the whole world. So help us out. Let me just close us saying I love you, I do I love you. I thank God for you, and I am so grateful that we are in this mission together.
Speaker 2: God bless you.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you'd like to support Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, just go to pastorick dot com. That's Pastrick dot com, or you can text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. That's the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. And really, from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you so much for your support. Your gift to Daily Hope helps us share the hope of Christ with people everywhere. Hey, be sure to join us next time when we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.