Speaker 1: A once popular family YouTuber behind the Channel eight Passengers, built her brand on showcasing strict, value based parenting to millions of subscribers, but in August of twenty twenty three, her carefully curated image collapsed when one of her six children escaped her home in alarming condition, nownourished, bound and begging for help. The discovery of her child sparked a criminal investigation that uncovered systematic abuse, leading to the arrests of two women. What followed was a shocking unraveling of digital influence, religious extremism, and parental control gone dangerously unchecked. This is the story of the family vlogger Ruby Frank. My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Grim, a true crime podcast. The following material more mature audience listener. Do I sound different?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, just checking these your headphones. Headphones are still messing with me. I don't know. It's it does not seem right. Maybe I need different ones. I don't know, or maybe I just need to get used to them. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You should probably just get so the same ones don't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: Unless they're used. Yeah, at which I haven't looked. I can probably find them on eBay, I guess somewhere.
Speaker 2: But well, maybe you should do that before I replace mine.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I don't know, we'll see take those. These ones are fine, It's just I'm just not used to it. Yeah, but what I am getting used to is the warm weather, the summer approaching. It's farmers market season again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We did go to the farmer's market actually on Saturday. It was lovely we did. I had some banck and you had some simosis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were delicious.
Speaker 2: I should mention that I had a nintella on my bannock, which the next.
Speaker 1: Level, and cinnamon sugar.
Speaker 2: Actually. Yeah, Well the person in front of me, I was just going to do nutella and then he was like, oh can I also get like a little sprinkle of that? And then I was just like, I'll have exactly what he had.
Speaker 1: If you haven't had bannock before, it's delicious. Yeah, recommend ten out of ten. Campfire bannic. I really like doing that, which we haven't done in a long time.
Speaker 2: No we haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you wrap it on like a stick, you can even roast it over the fire like that. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, man, now we're just going to make everyone hungry.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe what you guys should do is, since it's the season, go check out your local farmer's market, see what you can find. Yeah, and then of course you get to support local that way too, which is super cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the best part of it, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you get to like actually support local, you support those around you. It's like the community thing. Just like over on Patreon, you have many people who support us.
Speaker 2: They sure do.
Speaker 1: That was a good segue here, it was so shout out to Kimberly, Nelly, Kylie Flynn, Erica Green, Lily, Capril Loane, Capri Glan. It's it's interesting spelling. Okay, don't judge me. Capri Loin Capri Loin is how I'm gonna double down and say, you say your name, Lily, I'm sorry for butchering your name. Kathy Smith, Jordan Fairbanks, Carolyn Leclair, and Alyssa Gatehouse.
Speaker 2: Wow, it amazes me that we still like weekly have a list. Yeah, that's so awesome.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of people who want to check us out on Patreon, even if they just like come in for a month and ditch out later, or maybe they stick around for a long time, whatever the reason, whatever their purpose, their support is immense and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We sure do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we sure do. So I think we should get right into this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is gonna your intro is very interesting.
Speaker 1: It's a different case than we generally cover because I mean, typically it's like, oh, murder, murder, murder, right, So I was looking for one where there's survivors. So there is no casualties in the way of death, and it is only survivors in this one. But that doesn't make it any less sad for what occurs. But it's a little less heavy in that murder that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but sure, it's sure odd that I don't know, if she's on YouTube like kind of giving parenting advice or so, and then literally treating her kid like a piece of shit. Yeah, I am going to be very interested in this because that's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll talk. We'll talk about it, don't you worry.
Speaker 2: Okay, get on with it. Then.
Speaker 1: So. At one time, Ruby Frank was known as the upbeat face of eight Passengers, a popular YouTube channel documenting the daily life of a large Mormon family in Utah. For years, millions tuned in to watch her pack lunches, teach life lessons, and manage the challenges of raising six kids. To many viewers, Ruby seemed like the embodiment of family values, you know, organized, faith driven, and devoted to motherhood. But in the fall of twenty twenty three, her story flipped entirely. She didn't just fall from grace, she actually plummeted, you could say. In late August, she was arrested alongside her business partner and confidant, Jody Hildebrandt, after one of Ruby's children escaped from the home in Irving's Utah Now. The twelve year old boy was found emaciated and bound with duct tape. He fled barefoot through the neighborhood seeking help, and what followed was a police investigation that would unearth a deeply disturbing system of abuse, discipline disguised as healing, and beliefs that pushed parental control into the realm of cruelty. Ruby was a smiling mom on YouTube, but the curtain had been pulled and it revealed the truth behind the scenes. With the charges now filed against her felony, child abuse, neglect, and psychological torment. For some, it was a surprise but for others, especially long time viewers who raised concerns years earlier, the arrest felt like a confirmation of something they had already sensed that behind these curtains of the curated family content was a pattern of control, punishment, and alarming parenting choices.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is wild.
Speaker 1: So back in twenty fifteen, Ruby Frank did what thousands of other moms were starting to do. She picked up a camera and she started filming her family. The idea was simple, share snippets of her life raising her six children in a clean cut, faith centered home. She called the channel eight Passengers.
Speaker 2: I do like that name. That is kind of a cool name.
Speaker 1: It is, and it's a nod to her family of eight because she has, you know, six children. There's her and her husbands. There's eight of them, and the channel it actually quickly took off as well. Now, at first, the content was light and relatable morning routines, you know, packing school lunches, chore charts, family vacations, nothing particularly flashy, just a kind of wholesome slice of life type video that resonated with viewers. Ruby and her husband Kevin, both members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, which from here on out, I'll say LDS leaned into their faith and their family values. They didn't shy away from disciplining discussions things like that on these videos and things that they were doing. They didn't shy away from you know, respect or obedience. But it was all framed as loving, structured parenting the audience. It grew fast. Videos like gender reveals happened, you know, back to school, shopping days, a day in the life with six kids, it racked up hundreds of thousands of views. Milestones were celebrated publicly, things like kids birthdays, baptisms, and even quiet family dinners. By twenty sixteen, eight Passengers had crossed the one hundred thousand subscriber mark on YouTube. A year later, they were into the millions.
Speaker 2: So in like a matter of two years. Yes, that's pretty impressive, actually.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And with that comes you know, a lot of income because doing these sort of things adds and such. Exactly when you're in the millions of subscribers, that's basically a gold mine, honestly. So that set her apart was how organized and polished everything looked. The Franks became a model of Mormon family life on YouTube, modest, smiling, and seemingly in control of the chaos of parenting. They were part of a growing subculture of the so called Mormon mommy vloggers, which included other popular creators like Ruby's own sister, who had also had a successful channel. Now their lies became kind of an aspirational type content with traditional devout, you know, all this sort of stuff going on. But behind the scenes, YouTube's monetization was a powerful motivator. As I mentioned, it's kind of a gold mine. With millions of views, came real money from ad revenue, sponsorships, and even speaking opportunities. Ruby wasn't just sharing her life, she was building a brand. She was building a business and a career centered around her family. And with every new subscriber that brand, it gained more reach, it gained more influence and more pressure to maintain the illusion of perfection. But before they became a YouTube brand, Ruby and Kevin Frank were a typical LDS couple, building a life around their family and faith, and the education of their children as well. The two met while attending Birmingham Young University in Utah, where Kevin was studying engineering and Ruby was pursuing a degree in Home and Life and Family life. They married in two thousand, eventually setting in Springville, Utah, a tight knit community where their faith and family centered values were flourishing. Together, they had their six children, Sherry, Chad, Abby, Julie, Russell, and Eve. The parenting philosophy was rooted in the doctrines of Church of Jesus Christ Latter day Saints LDS, teachings that emphasize obedience, family hierarchy, modesty, and spiritual worthiness. These beliefs were a constant backdrop in the home and eventually their videos on YouTube as well. But Ruby's passion for motherhood and discipline extended beyond her own household. She was part of a larger family network that had also found success online. Ruby's sisters, as I mentioned, had found success. You know. Bonnie, Allie, and Julie were all family lifestyle vloggers in their own right. Each had their own take on the mommy influencer identity, and together they created what some viewers jokingly called the Griffiths family YouTube empire.
Speaker 2: Well, they probably saw how successful Ruby was, right.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not too sure who started first. Okay, certainly one of them would have kicked it off and you know, got the others into it, and it obviously took off.
Speaker 2: And they're like, wow, we could do this too. So it's not easy to make video. So I just have to put that out there.
Speaker 1: It's not It is relatively difficult. I mean, we started doing YouTube a little bit about a year ago. We got super busy and we fell behind. We're wanting to do it again, but it's not an easy task. It is a full time job. If you're going to actually pursue a YouTube career, well.
Speaker 2: Then I also just struggle bout it's hard when a camera's on you just being yourself and stuff, right, so rather than having a facade, yeah and like coming off natural and stuff. So, I mean, I've never watched any of these people's videos, but it's not the most easiest of tasks.
Speaker 1: No, that's for sure. Now, this interconnected group of sisters amplified each other's content. They collaborated frequently and shared a similar aesthetic, you know, the clean house, the well behaved children, and focused on homemaking. At the center of it all. Ruby stood out for her strict and structured parenting style. She seemed to ell is the authority that came with motherhood, not just in her own home, but in the public space as well. Now, over time, Ruby started speaking less like a mom sharing her day to day life, and more like a woman on a mission. She often positioned herself like an authority figure in the home, one who was how do I say this properly? Because I really like this. Really it identified, It gets you the identity on who she is. It really paints the picture. She was someone who thought she knew best not only for her kids, not only for her own kids, but she knew best for what other parents should be doing too, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: See, I don't love this, but I do think in the time, there was that was kind of popular where everyone was like obsessed with people showing their perfect lives. And it's sort of changed now where people are more into like seeing the chaos and stuff and then they don't have to feel so bad about themselves and stuff, because who the hell has a clean house at every moment?
Speaker 1: That's true. I mean, there is still like that market for that perfect life sort of thing, because I'm pretty sure we've all seen it at one point scrolling TikTok or Instagram. There's those people who like are reloading their pantry, the perfect pantries, like all everything's daizing it and yeah, taking it out of the marketing package, putting it in clean glass jars. It's all those sort of things. So it's definitely still a place for that style of content. But yeah, like a lot of you guys listening to our podcast, you appreciate us because we're real about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we stumble and don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: Something we don't know. We don't know how to pronounce everyone's names for example. Right, So it's it becomes real, we're real people, and that becomes relatable in its own right. So there is both both ways on which it can go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm yeah, I'm sure both have their fans and stuff, but I'm definitely more on the relatable scale.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Well, she was more so on the picture perfect side of the scale, and her parenting. As things progressed, it was becoming more firmer. Her language was more absolute, like what I say goes, rules were rules, consequences were necessary in her house, and feelings were secondary to behavior. Oh wow, yeah, almost like a little bit of a dictatorship. It seemed like this wasn't just a YouTube mom. This was someone who clearly believed she had a calling to collect, to instruct, and to shape within her family, but regardless of her feelings or ideas, for years, eight Passengers flourished as a family friendly brand. Ruby's image as a nonsense, faith driven mother was part of what made her stand out. Viewers praised her for setting boundaries and for holding firm to values and prioritizing discipline in a culture that often tiptoes around, you know, gentle parroting. But in twenty twenty, the tide had started to turn. Longtime subscribers began raising some questions. Something think about the tone of the videos, the punishments, the languages, the way Ruby talked to and about her kids started to feel off. Discipline was no longer a teachable moment. It was becoming almost a public spectacle on the YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: Oh gross, that's gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah now. One of the most talked about moments came when Ruby revealed on camera that her teenage son Chad had lost his bedroom, so he lost rights to have his bedroom and for seven months, his bed had been removed as a punishment for what she described as pranking his younger brother.
Speaker 2: For seven months, he didn't have a bed.
Speaker 1: Correct. Viewers watched as Chad, visibly uncomfortable, explained how he had been sleeping on a bean bag for nearly a year. Now to their defense, I don't think I'm not defending them, I'm saying this is their defense. They removed the bed for punishment of these prankings, and they said, you can sleep wherever you need to, the couch, whatever, the floor, whatever you need to do to sleep, you get that, but you don't get your bed. And he chose the bean bag is how they framed it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just don't. Still not okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Still not okay. Honestly, you know what, Remove all your kid's fashion clothes, replace it with white T shirts, jeans. The last thing you should be removing is a fucking bed though, bed. Like I understand taking away privileges, a bed is not a privilege.
Speaker 2: I almost feel like a bed is like kind of like a safe place in a way. Yeah, like you know, a dog or whatever has a kennel and stuff like your bed, Like you spend eight hours or nine hours, or kids probably spend ten hours or whatever in there, and it's like it's almost like they need that. It's survival they do.
Speaker 1: They really do. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go ahead and like take away your kid's clothes and they only get white t shirts and stuff. I'm just saying, if you're going to take something away, there's other ways about it. You can take, you know I things that they enjoy away and still give them things that they need to survive, things that they need to make through life, and so they understand whatever message you're trying to get across, you know what, take away their toys, take away computer time, whatever it is. I'm not a parent, don't ask me these questions. I'm probably wrong in saying this already, But a bed, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I've heard people like they take away electronics or something, but I've heard mostly like for a week or something. Right, you're grounded or something for a week. But to take away your bed for almost a year is pretty next level. Yeah, you don't have to be a parent to think that's next level, No kidding.
Speaker 1: Now, Ruby saw this as a necessary consequence, and many others saw it as neglect, which honestly is exactly what that is. Then there was a moment when Ruby admitted she'd forgotten to pack a lunch for her youngest daughter, Eve, and rather than call the school or bring her something, she told viewers quote, the natural outcome is she's going to be hungry today. What it was delivered with a shrug, as if hunger was a moral lesson rather than a basic need. It's not even Eve's fault, it's your fault, Holy and Eve is suffering as a moral lesson.
Speaker 2: That does not seem like someone that should be teaching things because I feel like most people would just go and deliver the kid's lunch or because now she's kind of putting it on the school, because I know, like school like it happens kids forget lunch, and I think schools have like granola bars or something that they can pass out, because yeah, like you need to eat, especially when you're in this atmosphere of learning and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're a developing child and stuff. Like when you're an adult and you're counting your calories and you're trying to lose weight. Hey, maybe you skip a meal. I get you, but you shouldn't be like, oh, I forgot to pack my kid's meal. I guess you're going hungry today, It's not that she couldn't afford it. It's not that she didn't remember it. She vlogged it saying, oh, well, she goes hungry.
Speaker 2: That's something that can stick in the kid's life forever. Her memory and stuff as kind of traumatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. Other moments followed. Kids were made to sleep on the bathroom floor, punishments that seemed more about shame than learning. There's emotional breakdowns, kids crying on camera while Ruby kept filming. What made it all more uncomfortable was that these weren't just hidden moments. Ruby shared them freely, sometimes even proudly. To her they were part of the process of raising strong, obedient children, But to many viewers it started to feel like something much more serious was going on behind the scenes. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure she is raising strong obedient children. But the idea isn't to raise strong obedient children. The idea is to raise healthy adults.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it doesn't really sound like they have a childhood day.
Speaker 1: And what I mean by healthy adults is they grow healthy and they become healthy adults. So you need to have healthy children to become.
Speaker 2: A healthy adult, like healthy happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, healthy is determined and described in many different ways mentally healthy, physically healthy, you know, eating healthy food, being in a healthy environment, a loving environment, you know. But she was she was bringing the hammer down way too hard and way too many places.
Speaker 2: Well, it sort of to me just sounds like they would be terrified of her, like I feel terrified of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably well now, By twenty twenty, backlash was growing. Viewers began compiling clips in timelines on Reddit and YouTube commentary channels. Petitions circulated demanding that eight passengers be demonetized and that child protection services investigate the family. Several of these petitions gathered tens of thousands of signatures. Still, Ruby just doubled down. She dismissed critics as worldly and soft, claiming they didn't understand her values. She framed the outrage as persecution, even attest to her strength and her faith. Her defensiveness only deepen concerns. Multiple wellness checks were reportedly conducted by authorities, though Ruby maintained in videos that nothing inappropriate had been found. As criticism of eight Pastures intensified, Ruby didn't back down. She pivoted. Around twenty twenty one, her online content began to change, gone were the light hearted family vlogs and holiday crafts in their place intense discussions about obedience, sin, and emotional correction. Ruby had found a new collaborator and an entirely new philosophy to promote. Now. This collaborator was a woman by the name of Judy Hildebrant. Jody Hildebrant My apologies now. Jody was a licensed mental health counselor and founder of Connections Instead with a T, It's with an X. It was a controversial life coaching and therapy program with roots in religious based behavioral correction. Her views were stark. Children were not innocent. Instead, they were capable of manipulation and deceit. Accountability she believed must be immediate and sometimes harsh. And Ruby seen, and Ruby seemed to be all into this idea. She's just like, yes, one hundred percent, She's totally game, totally agrees. Now. Together the two women began creating content for Connections in its platform. It wasn't just therapy, it was ideology. They recorded podcasts, online classes, and video content that emphasized control, emphasized order and moral absolutes. Children were to be held to adult standards. Emotions were suspect disobedience was framed as evil. To Ruby, this partnership appeared to be a revelation. Her language grew sharper, her demeanor shifted, and on camera she seemed rigid and increasingly severe. Her children, once ever present in her content, were suddenly less visible, and fans noticed a chain and grew alarmed.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on here? This is just angering me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it should.
Speaker 2: Holy hell because also, what was the line you said there that children should be like held to adult standards or something. Yeah, they're not adults though I know that doesn't make any sense, I know, but.
Speaker 1: That was their point of view.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, behind the scenes, things were unraveling. Ruby and her husband Kevin, who had long played a more reserve role in the channel, separated sometime around twenty twenty two or early twenty twenty three. While Ruby moved in with Jody Hildebrandt in the small Utah town in Irvings, Kevin stayed behind. Later, he would tell police that Ruby had essentially pushed him out of the house and cut off contact with his children. In fact, by this point he hadn't even seen them in over a year.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I can only imagine that he was not allowed to basically say a word or have any thought in how they should be raised or supplend or anything.
Speaker 1: Didn't seem like it concerned viewers continued filing reports. The Utah Division of Child and Family Services had already received multiple complaints related to eight passengers, and wellness checks were performed, though no legal action had yet been taken. And as you know she was saying on her channel, there was no consequences or nothing ever found. But Ruby and Jody seemed to tighten their grip. They believe their work was righteous and then that they were the only ones who could see the truth about children and parenting.
Speaker 2: They almost seem like they think they're like they should be worshiped or something like they're like starting a cult or something. I don't even know it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they're going that direction. Yeah, one hundred percent. The philosophy being preached online was no longer just theory. It was becoming practice. In a quiet, remote house, far from the public eye, Ruby and Jody had begun applying their beliefs in ways that were as extreme as they were dangerous, but nobody truly knew what was actually about to happen, not yet. It was August thirtieth, twenty twenty three, and it began like any other late summer morning in the quiet neighborhood of Erving's Utah. But by mid morning it would become the epicenter of a case that would shock the nation. At ten forty six am, a man named Dan Clarkson heard his doorbell ring. When he opened the door, he saw a twelve year old boy. He was barefoot, emanciated with open wounds wrapped in duct tape around his wrists and ankles. His name was Russell and he was one of Ruby's six children. Security camera footage from the home captured the quiet urgency of the moment. Now, at first the boy approached and was knocking in the door and everything, but there was no answer, and he began to walk away. But then the door opened and there was Dan, and he started talking to the boy. Now, the boy asked for a ride to the police station, and of course Dan Clark's and his wife as well asked what was going on and the boy Russell quietly replied, quote, it's personal.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, this breaks my heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, when the Clarksons they invited the boy to sit down. They started talking to him, and they called nine one one. The truth began to emerge. In fact, on that nine one one call, Dan Clarkson is heard trying to hold back tears as he describes the situation to police because Russell's condition, it's obvious what he looks like. He does not look well. They're talking about how he obviously looks like he was held the duct tape on his wrists and everything. And I mean Russell hadn't even eaten in days when police arrived, like, he was dehydrated, He was disoriented, and he was terrified. And the problem though, was he wasn't alone because two of his sisters he told them, were still inside the home that he had just escaped from and Jody Hildebrand's home.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm, this just I actually have tears in my eyes. That is so this is so sad, Holy shit it is.
Speaker 1: Now his paramedics arrived and began assessing Russell's condition. What they found was horrifying. Yes, his wrists and ankles showed signs of long term restraints. The skin under the duct tape was infected, and the wounds were surrounded by a substance of sorts, and that substance appeared to be a homemade mixture of cayenne pepper and honey and plastic wrap.
Speaker 2: What the actual shit? So they, okay, they're using these kids as like experimenting, aren't they. I don't know if that's what's going to come out here, but this is fed up.
Speaker 1: Well. Russell told EMTs that he had been tied up by his mother and Miss Jody as form of punishment.
Speaker 2: Miss Jody.
Speaker 1: You, in fact, though he was so deeply into this ideology that his mother was betraying and putting on this household, he blamed himself and he said that he deserved it.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. And this little boy is twelve years old.
Speaker 1: Correct, Oh no, oh no, So he's like, yeah, my mommy did this to me. My mom tied me up and ductate me. But you know, I deserved it. I was being punished. I was being bad.
Speaker 2: What the hell is wrong with this person?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: These two women, I guess not just this person, but holy shit.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, police sprang into action. Officers on scene quickly confirmed the location of Jody Hildebrandt's house and noted the urgent need to perform a welfare check for the other children. Because as as he said, there's you know, his two siblings are in the house. Russell approaches like, yeah, I've got my two sisters in that house still. So officers are like, we need to get there, we need to do welfare check, we need to see how these other two kids are. So as they're still, you know, at the home where Russell knocked on the door, they're talking to the Clarksons and they're talking to Russell. They're getting their bearings, trying to figure out what they're going to do. Something happened as they prepared. Jody Hildebrandt herself drove up.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I was kind of expecting that, but like, what the hell is she going to have as an excuse here?
Speaker 1: Well, she told the officer she was looking for a twelve year old boy who had run away. Now, the officers did not reveal the situation to her. They're like, oh, okay, yeah, no, where can we Let's get your information, your name number, where do you live. They got all this stuff, and they're like, well, we'll show up at your house here shortly, we'll talk, we'll figure this out, we'll help you find them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then they just told her that she they're showing up at her house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I don't know if they specifically said they were going to show up at the house. That was me paraphrase. Okay, but they're like, we'll be in touch, we'll figure this out, we'll find him, okay, okay. So they took her information without revealing anything that they already knew, and she went home. But minutes later she received a knock on the door because the police went there too. Now, what followed was a tense confrontation, which was caught on police body cameras, and officers instructed Jody to ex the house, and they immediately when that door was opened, they pulled her out, like get out of here, and they went in the home looking for the kids. Now, she refused and demanded to see a warrant right away. She's like, you don't have a warrant. You don't have a warrant. However, she was also on the phone with her attorney. Whether she phoned like right away or not, but wow, she's like and the attorney's like no, like they it's a welfare check, Like you can't they don't need a warrant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, you're a piece of shit. Just get out of the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She's meanwhile insisting she has legal rights, but it's like, no, this is a welfare check. They're not doing an investigation, they're not pulling evidence, nothing like that. But they're doing a welfare check to find out if these kids are okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're not. And that's why she didn't want them to come in exactly. I can only imagine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, the nine one one call, combined with Russell's visible injuries and his claims that siblings were still inside, gave them that legal authority to enter, and so they did. Once inside, they were met with an eerie stillness. The house was large. It was sprawling, like it was a fucking mansion, let's be honest, filled with rooms and hallways containing a layout that made searching both slow and they needed to be very deliberate about it. The officers knew that they were going to need some help, so they pulled the home blueprints, and thank god they did, because with so many rooms, hidden spaces and offshoots, it would have been easy to miss something so critical. The blueprints helped confirm a room in the basement that immediately raised red flags with a vault style safe door had to be at the front, so it's more like a safe room sort of thing, Like you go down it's like concrete walls, concrete floor. There's a bathroom like a bedroom down there, and this great big vault door at the front. But before investigators could reach that part of the house, they found Eve, one of the children. She was nine years old, and she was hidden inside a bathroom closet. She didn't cry, she didn't speak, she didn't even seem to register the officers at first. The image of her curled up sitting on the floor silently in that tice tight space would say with everyone who saw that body cam footage, And I did see that footage, and it's it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: A trained police officer gently introduced himself, promised her safety, and sat on the floor next to her. She didn't really speak, she didn't really do anything. He said, we don't have to say anything if you don't want to. I'm just here to make sure you're okay.
Speaker 2: Oh man. The fact that he just sits down with her, like, oh, that's like the first time in probably forever that she got even like a small amount of respect from someone.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, it continues, and it'll break your fucking heart because she doesn't say a word. She just kind of like just stares and like she's super nervous. And she might have said a word or two just being like I'm nervous, like that sort of thing, but other than that, just stone silent. And they sat with her, and they worked with her for hours before she would eventually move out of that closet. Now before she did move, though, to gain her trust, they decided they were going to you know, give her some food, some pizza. So they ordered you know, officers are searching his house. It's taking hours, so they ordered the whole crew lunch. They ordered a bunch of pizza, and they ordered her a personal pizza for herself and a fountain pop as well a soda. So they bring it to her and they put the food, the pizza box on the floor right in front of her, and a pop like you can eat if you want, it's okay, and you can see her. She doesn't really react at first, and of course she's quite skinny, she's been deprived of food and everything. Within seconds, she slowly starts reaching for that pizza and drags a box closer to her opens it up and she starts eating. She eats the entire pizza to herself, and then she even asks for more of the officer's pizzas.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I just saw right now. I'm not going to listen in the rest this episode always shit. Oh man, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Eve was skeletal. She was terrified and emotionally shut down. Her physical condition mirrored rustles, open sores, signs of dehydration, and serious malnourishment. EMTs who later examined her noted deep wounds on her feet from being forced to walk barefoot, and they were concerns, concerned enough to send her directly to the hospital alongside her brother. You know what, I wasn't gonna do this. I was gonna do it all in one part. But I think let's stop and do two parts for this because it's heavy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Why? Because your wife is over your solving?
Speaker 1: Yes, this is heavy. I think a break for this would be good, and I think this might be a good place to stop it. Do you want me to go a little bit further before I stop, or is this a good stopping point for you?
Speaker 2: I don't know, you decide. I don't even know what the hell is to come. I just can't even fathom that, like someone's like an adult who's supposed to be like protecting these littles like a mom and stuff is doing this. It's unreal. It's unreal.
Speaker 1: It is it really is.
Speaker 2: Oh oh man, I don't okay, let's just stop, I guess because I can't get this pizza thing out of my mind. It's going to destroy me all day.
Speaker 1: Sorry, let's stop here. This is definitely heavy, so let's continue in part two. I'll make sure that I put part one, because we didn't discuss this being two parts in the beginning of this episode. I'll put part one in the title. Make sure you guys understand its part one before you click on it. And Nicole's glaring at me and crying.
Speaker 2: I'm not glaring at you. I'm just like, holy shit, I can't get my shit together right now. It's so sad.
Speaker 1: It is. And this is supposed to be a woman who's teaching other people how to raise their children, who's portraying good family values, and she's doing this to her children.
Speaker 2: And the fact that they're like living in a mansion. She clearly has like a lot of money, and she could just be giving those kids like the world really yeah, and this is what she's doing. It's just heartbreaking because so many people there can't afford to give their kids what they would want to and she can and this is what she's doing, Like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: I know there's millions of people out there, like hundreds of millions of people out there, probably who don't have who barely have enough money to get by, and they are ensuring they give their kids still the world. Yeah, love the attention. They're doing double triple shifts before Christmas. They can afford a Christmas present. Yeah, And meanwhile, this bitch is taking away their kids' beds, making them walk barefoot through a fucking mansion, on these punishments like not feeding them, yeah, tying them. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well I just can't imagine the police officer to like watching her eat this food and then her asking for like some of his Like, oh my gosh, I just think that you would never be able to recover from that because your heart would just like sink. Yeah, like that is it's too much?
Speaker 1: No, that's totally fair. So yeah, I have no idea how long this episode is because I didn't plan on it being a two parter. Hopefully it was good. We'll catch up in the rest of it in the next part. Give you guys a breather in between, and let Nicole. We'll get her a box of Kleenex so she can get.
Speaker 2: I'm fine, I'm fine. Everything well no, not everything is fine. This world's fucked up, but I'm fine.
Speaker 1: This world's fucked up. Yeah, this was supposed to be a bit of a nicer case because hey, they're survivors.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, at you at the beginning of this, you're like, yeah, we're just like toning it down a bit. I did say where everybody who's probably saw being away, it's way worse than ones where people were getting like murdered in their heads cut off.
Speaker 1: I did say that it was survivors, and I did say it was still heavy. I guess it's just very I did also say it's heavy in its own way. I can't win. I'm just I'm the bad guy every time.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry, No, it's just I think the next episode will probably be better. Well, they'll probably be really shitty parts, but then you know, we'll get just they get out of this, right, So.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I'll tell you right now. Finding Eve. The eating the pizza situation is probably the heaviest part of this. I mean, of course we still go over heavy things, but yeah, it was it was just a heavy encounter with Eve.
Speaker 2: Let's put it that, no kidding. In the bathroom closet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now I will say this bathroom closet's not like a closet we generally think of. I should describe it a bit better. It's probably the size of like your standard bathroom. Oh okay, so it's it's like it's like probably like a six by six room something like that, maybe an eight by eight room even.
Speaker 2: Still, yes, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But anyways, I digress. Sorry for being so heavy on this one. If you want to check out links all in the description, we'll catch you in part two. Hopefully you have a good time to take this all in and we'll talk more and discuss it then.
Speaker 2: So until next time, stay wicked.