Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we're going to be talking about Mario Kart finally getting that expected Donkey Kong DLC potentially and a new banjo KAZOOI. What's going on over there? It's gonna be a good one because we have Jason Bonelli on the show. Jason, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I am doing great, but do not get my hopes up at the Bird and Bear coming back. That's mean, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: They're already back. It's already happening.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, I don't know. We'll see it, but yeah, things are Things are good. Getting getting ready for my first ever trip to the Game Awards in its current format next week. I'll be out there Wednesday to Saturday morning doing some game journalism stuff that I'm very excited about, some cool previews lined up, a opportunity that I can honestly say I have never done before. We'll be part of this trip, so we'll leave it at that. And your clue is have you ever watched Ted Lasso?
Speaker 2: I've watched the first season and some of the second.
Speaker 3: I'll be Trent krimming, okay with with someone or something so interesting. Yeah, yeah, okay, that'll be fun, be fun.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get you back on afterwards.
Speaker 1: When you can't talk about it, you can tell us all about what happened, and yes, we'll do fine.
Speaker 2: Find your coverage and all that. Yeah, Jan's gonna be out there. You hang out with them.
Speaker 1: You guys can make hay while the sun shining, which I hear it does out in LA. That'll yeah, I'll look looking forward. You guys get a chance to hang out looking forward to us talking over the game awards here.
Speaker 2: At Giant Bomb everybody. That's what we'll be doing the rest of the crew. That is, you're right, that's next week less than a week away, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It certainly is. It is six days away. The eleventh is when everything kicks off down there in a Kille palooza in LA and the Peacock Theater should be a good one. I'm sure they'll be playing talk about in the lead up to. I think there's some interesting things in the pipeline, some interesting things I may or may not have already seen, that are that are intriguing thought provoking. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Should we go?
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, I think this will be a big one as well. You know, if Halflack three really does get announced, that'll be so huge everything else won't matter. But that's true, exactly right, we'll see that's it's wild to think that we could be seeing that in less than a week, but who knows.
Speaker 2: We've been fooled before. All right, let's explain ourselves.
Speaker 1: We're Giant Bomb video game dupases, independent games media. We really enjoy making this stuff and we can only do it because we have you at our backs. You at the giant bomb dot com slash Join became a premium member. We're very thankful for you doing that. It does ensure that we can continue making stuff like this, doing things like getting together for Game of the Year, which we're going to be doing.
Speaker 2: Here pretty soon. All of that is possible through your support.
Speaker 1: We don't have any corporations at our back, it's just you, so thank you so much. We really appreciate it. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting for all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with. Netflix has agreed to buy Warner Brothers, including game developers behind Mortal Kombat and Hogwarts Legacy. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Netflix has agreed to a deal to acquire the film and streaming business of Warner Brothers Discovery, which also includes its video game division. After weeks of bidding from companies including Comcast and Paramount sky Dance, the pair announced a deal worth eighty two point seven billion in enterprise value on Friday. Warner Brothers owns ipis such as Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and in the DC Universe. It also owns video game developers like Mortal Kombats, nether Realm Studios, Batman, Arkham creator rock Steady, Hogwarts Legacies, Avalanche and Lego game studio TT Games. According to Netflix, the deal brings together two pioneering entertainment businesses, combining Netflix's innovation. Blah blah blah and blah blah blah. Okay, So, like for a long time now, we've been talking about Warner Brothers Video Game Division getting sold off, something happening to that that never manifested, largely for all the reasons that we would always bring up when that conversation would come up around Jason, which is it was that's a big investment, the IP won't go along with it, So you're just getting the studios, and that's going to make all of those studios worth a lot.
Speaker 2: Less, and Warner Brothers is not going to accept that.
Speaker 1: So, you know, happen instead that it stayed inside of Warner Brothers and became part of a larger package now that Netflix is picking up. Do you think that this will manifest in any noticeable changes here anytime soon for the video games coming out of Warner Brothers under Netflix, or do you expect them to be kind of that to be a little bit of an afterthought while it sets up its movies and television shows and things like that.
Speaker 3: I don't think it'll be as much of an afterthought as people anticipate it to be because Netflix has tried to embed itself in video games, yes, for years now, maybe not so much with original games. They have done a few, and they did own a few studios. They still do own a few studios. But for me, I'm of a couple minds of this from the gaming perspective, I think it's great because getting David's ass laugh away from video games is a dub.
Speaker 2: Feels like it's only a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, it's not going to Paramount, which is a w Yes. But and and they do seem to really value the gaming media because they've tried. They tried the indie thing where they were they were they were publishing mobile games. It was the only place you could play those games on mobile, like, uh, Kentucky Root zero was one for a little bit and there's there was a whole like a breach on the Golden Idol games is another example. Uh, it was a great idea that they advertised poorly, right, Like I had to the fact that I on my phone, I had to scroll down to find the games and it was just like a random list of all of their weird like too Hot to Date or wherever those stupid shows are too hot whatever. I don't watch dating shows to get to the games that I want to play. That was not a great idea. Separate app would have been a better idea. That's a discussion for a different day. But they tried it, and they put a lot of money into it, a lot of investment into it didn't quite work out there where wanted to. They backed off. They were developing a game with was it Marcus Leto? No, yeah, Marcus Leto and that didn't happen. I think it was Marc Letter, but I don't remember. I don't know if it was Marcus Leto. But somebody went to Netflix to make a game that didn't work out either. I don't hate the idea of the studios under Warner Brothers having access to Netflix properties. I think there are some companies that can do some things with that, like they I don't know what's going to happen with the Nemesis system, for example, but I think you could apply something like that to like maybe like like a squid game, weird squid game situation, or like stranger things. I don't know, that's that's not my decision to make K Pop Demon Hunters now could get itself a nice triple A video game with these studios. I from an m and A standpoint, From a consolidation standpoint, there's only so much more consolidation we can do before we all can collapse under that. That scares the hell out of me. But this is not the worst case scenario. And from a video game standpoint specifically, I feel a lot more confident in what Netflix will bring to the table for Warner Brothers portfolio than I would have at Paramount, If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 1: I think Netflix has at least shown a willingness to try to like figure out what it can do in the gaming space. It definitely is the kind of thing where they had the same false starts that all these other tech companies have had. They've had multiple moments where it's like, Okay, they're gonna try some ideas, but they've not done the thing where it's like, let's go all out and make a massive triple A game with a massive budget from a big name a developer or something like that. They've tried smaller things. So hopefully what has happened here is that that has prepped them, trained them, or like having this thing and they will still have a lot of expertise under them. They're requiring the entire Warner Brothers video game side of things, so hopefully that turns into something where they can figure out all right, now, we do believe video games is a worthy investment. Let's go ahead and make sure we get the most out of that when we're going forward, and that could mean more games and more stability for the people making that stuff.
Speaker 2: We really don't know. This is going to.
Speaker 1: Be a deal that will get scrutinized and could fall apart because you know, apparently the reports are Paramount Paramount Boss. The other lessens Larry, Yes, Larry Ellison's kid is going to be going to Trump and being like, please break up this deal. We wanted to buy this, and so there's a chance that could happen. This is not over yet, basically.
Speaker 3: Correct, And there was an interesting perspective that was shared in one of the chats that I'm in. Somebody on X had said, what is more valuable to Netflix five billion dollars or even if the deal falls through, guaranteeing that Comcast and Paramount can't touch Warner Brothers for two years while this is tied up in legal mumbo jumbo because the five million dollar kill fee that's in it, or whatever the breakup fee to break the deals go through if it doesn't go through, And that to me was an interesting perspective. It's kind of a win, not a win win, because obviously they would want to add own this portfolio, but it's a it's enough of a wrench thrown into a Paramount or a Comcast's plan to have all these things that I don't know, maybe there's there's an interesting outcome there too. I think Netflix ultimately wants to own it. And if we go back and analyze Activision Blizzards being acquired by Xbox, I think there are some there were some things in that that the FCC may have been, a Department of Justice may have identified that may help them here. But I also think that there were hills that they could not climb in that merger that will apply here too, specifically in streaming. So it'll be interesting. It'll be interesting to see even with all of the meddling that is due to happen in certain oval offices. I I put it like a fifty to fifty that it goes through. I don't know about you talking about it like that yet, No, No, I think that's probably right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean overall takeaway here is more consolidation is very likely going to result and more problems. But you know, the comparison point here is Warner Brothers under David Zaslov.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I don't know, a little bit of a wash to me.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, but I mean, certainly, well, it will create a fewer places for people who want to make games to like okay, and now I could have gone to work at Netflix or Warner Brothers and now that's one and the same. So yes, there will be an effect there on like the labor market for sure. I just I really don't know how Netflix could Netflix expresses this. I think they want to and up front are going to want to figure out like the biggest ip for the movies in the television And once that's like sorted out, maybe then I think games gets some attention, and like you said, maybe it's going to be more than we're thinking.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep going.
Speaker 1: Your fans think Mario Kart World might get a big donkey Kong DLC any day now. This is from Ethan Gotchak Kotaku. It's been six months since Mario Kart World launched alongside the switch to I Know Right it flies by. There have been some notable patches during the time, but no big content updates.
Speaker 2: Could the games.
Speaker 1: First paid d paid DLC be right around the corner. Here's why some fans think so, and why it will feature tie ins to Donkey Kong Bonanza. Let's see here, so Nintendo today that this is like some of the stuff will be. I'll try to talk around it. There could be some spoilers for Donkey Kong Bonanza, so I'll try to like not get too specific here. So Dana Minors recently, this govered an interesting early entry excuse me for December fifteenth. It's an animation featuring Blank from Donkey Kong Bananza. He's a familiar enough Nintendo character at this point, even making it into a other game. Yeah, that'll give it away.
Speaker 2: I knew this is gonna be Harry.
Speaker 1: Basically, there's a character in the late game of Donkey Kong Bananza, and people are just saying seeing that he might be in Mario Kart here coming up pretty soon. It's been weird that there wasn't more of a tie in to Bonanza for Mario Kart already. People early on noted Jason that there was like all these other characters had so many variations and Donkey Kong had fewer than some of the other characters, meaning, well, his Bonanza stuff will be in the game once that game is out.
Speaker 2: That never happened.
Speaker 1: I guess the reason that never happened is because instead of making it free DLC to go alongside the game Bonanza, They're gonna make it a paid DLC expansion for Mario Kart World. I think that's that's too much, too soon, that they're already asking for DLC for Mario Kart World.
Speaker 2: Uh what do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we got DLC for paid DLC for Bonanza before Mario Court World and Bonanza came.
Speaker 2: Out, right, Yeah, I mean that was their too. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: The fact the fact that we haven't been asked to pay more money into Mario Court World at all in the six months since it's launch, that's still rattling around in my head considering how long we speculated about the damn console. Yeah, but yeah, I could definitely see the first Mario Kart World DLC appearing on Keighley stage next week. And that's that's actually prime shadow drop material, you know what I mean? Like that, Now, go play while you're watching the show in the background, because you can player switch and keep the show on. I keep my viewership, they get their DLC dollars, everybody happy. So yeah, I mean it sounds like something that Nintendo would bring to the Game Awards too, like that, not a brand new game reveal nothing some stantial like that, but hey, we're going to add some stuff to the game that already exists. Yeah, this makes sense to me. The character who shall not be named would make perfect sense in the world of Mario Kart World. Still, one of my favorite moments of the entire year was that moment in Bonanza, And if you haven't played it yet, make sure you do before. That's sure absolutely worth going in not being spoiled. It's so good. Yeah, And all of the all of the clues suggesting that Bonanza is the first crossover with Mario Kart World, the less costumes and things like that, it all fits.
Speaker 2: If it's but it's so like that.
Speaker 1: That's what's so frustrating about the pay the DLC aspect is Donkey Kong has fewer costumes and stuff like that, So it's like to me that this is like completing the game because now Donkey Kong has all the same amount of stuff as it.
Speaker 2: Has as the other characters.
Speaker 3: So it's capcom putting the stuff on the DLC instincts, right, Yeah, I think maybe there's a chance like that stuff comes out and it's like a in the free update and then the paid DLC is like some new courses or.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, because did they charge for characters for the last Mario Kart eight or was it all just new course packs?
Speaker 3: It was the the DLCs were court booster pass course, booster course, booster pass courses. That's what there was. There was eight eight eight different DLC packs I think total whatever it was. But yeah, characters, costumes, that all was I believe, uh free, although we're we're link and the animal Crossing Racers part of those packs or even if you didn't buy them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, the people are saying, yeah, there, that's exactly what it was.
Speaker 1: Those characters were included in the in the DLC and then we're in the right and then they I think they were including the standard version of Deluxe for Switch.
Speaker 2: But if you go all the way back to the waking version, Okay, yeah, so fair. I mean, this is Nintendo.
Speaker 1: They turns out that's a company that likes money, and we'll keep doing stuff like this. And I guess we'll let to see the exact details again. I think if the if the content, the cosmetics come out and feel like that that's a free update, I think that would be fine. I don't I don't know if I'm ready to pay for DLC for Mario Kart World. That's a game that I'm like, let's get a few more updates, see if you can improve that a little bit, and then maybe I'll check back in. But you know, I'm sure they were playing this long before they knew what the response to that game would be.
Speaker 2: Sure all right.
Speaker 1: Fallout creator has rejoined xboxes Obsidian and says you won't guess what he's working on. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. The lead behind the original nineteen ninety seven Fallout game game, Tim Kaine, has rejoined Xbox's Obsidian Entertainment as a full time employee, he announced on Friday. Kane, who has who was producer and programming lead on Fallout and a designer for its sequel, previously joined Obsidian in twenty eleven as a programmer, working on South Park and Pillars of Eternity. He also co directed The Outer Worlds and consulted on its recent sequel. In twenty twenty, he left his position and worked on a remote, remote contracted basis. In a new video published on his YouTube channel on Friday, Kane revealed that he's rejoined the company as a full time employee and in person, and that he's currently working on an unannounced project, which he doesn't think fans will guess. I'm back at Upcity, and he said, I'm there as a full time employee and in person, so not remote, and I'm not a contractor anymore. This means that I'm not working on at other places, although there's at least one game that I worked on elsewhere that I know is going to ship. He added, I can't talk about the project that I'm working on at Obsidian just because that's covered by NDA. Don't bother guessing. You're not going to guess, right, I would probably say that I'm a lot less retired now, right, So you see the headline, You're like, is he being cheeky? Is he being like, oh, you won't guess what I'm working on, because he's working on Fallout, a new Fallout at Obsidian. I think he's being probably pretty honest here that you won't guess what it is, and so he's probably not working on a new Fallout, which you know, we could try to guess what Tim Kaine is working on. I don't think we're going to be able to do that. But instead it's like, well, this Obsidian was the other option for a new Fallout game. Do you think Obsidian is going to make a Fallout game along like alongside or while you know Bethesda works on Elder Scroll six or do you think that's not happening now?
Speaker 3: There has to be something going on with Fallout. Considering the success of the Amazon Prime series, they would be ludicrous to leave that money on the table because not only were Fallout fans flocked, and not only to fall Out fans flock to that show, but there are people who just watched the show not knowing what Fallout was, who may go the other way and try and see what the Fallout games are like. Didn't didn't after season one. Wasn't there a huge spike in New Vegas and Fallout four sales?
Speaker 2: Well Out four had a ton of players after that first season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so it would be ludicrous for them not to be working on Fallout now. Is that What he's working on remains to be seen? And no, we're not going to guess it, because even if we did, you're not going to acknowledge it. So we're we don't know if we're guessing it or not. So, but I would I don't know if I want it to be a new Fallout or if I want it to be a new like like a new game that played like Fallout one. I think I don't think Fallout could ever go back to fall Out one and two. I mean that franchise.
Speaker 1: What if it was like, you know, the HD two D equivalent, right, like, let's take some modern modern two D visual style, some isometric graphical effects and make a spiritual successor to fall Out one in two as a smaller side project to sort of fill in the gap while we wait for the next you know, quote unquote real Fallout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what Wasteland was.
Speaker 2: Similar to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, if if was he on Wasteland. I'm pretty sure that was his.
Speaker 2: That was that was over an exile.
Speaker 3: In the style, which is also un Microsoft. That's what I'm thinking of. So yeah, if they go the CRPG route, even if it's a brand new franchise, or if he if Obsidian takes over Wasteland, maybe there's there's some there's some interesting uh possibilities here. I'm trying to think what other RPG franchises are under uh the Xbox window that aren't already being addressed. So Elder Scroll six, we obviously know, is somewhere in in Bethesda studio. Uh, fable is any day now, we're gonna hear about when that's coming out, right, hopefully sure waist plan. Maybe they brought him in to finished State of the K three. Let's see, maybe that's finally Maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's the other new Banjo game that's right. Yeah, yeah, there we go.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, I mean there's plenty of possibilities here. I'm excited for it to be a new Forza and just completely like I wanted to make racing sorry guys.
Speaker 1: And it's but don't worry, it's still isometric. It's an arc pro am like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's rock and roll racing to wait mine, Yeah, wait a minute, whea, I believe rock and roll racing is under Microsoft's umbrella.
Speaker 2: That's a joke. Yeah, no, they can make it happen. This is it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Please do uh?
Speaker 2: But yeah, incredible, that's what it was. I want to rock and roll racing RPG.
Speaker 3: That's what I'd be sick and lost. Vikings have to be in it. But yeah, I'm glad he's I'm glad he found a project worthy of him coming out of semi retirement. That alone is exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool that, like sitting can be that place where you say, I'll just go back to and we start working on something. And I'm sure, I'm sure they love having them. That's it's pretty cool to see.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's take a break.
Speaker 1: Plenty more headlines to get into and including we'll clear up what's happening with that Bansho KAZUOI.
Speaker 2: You should get as excited as possible, though there's no way you'll be disappointed.
Speaker 1: I promise we'll talk about that after these messages. If you want to skip out on these ads, we put out an ad free version of the video show and an AD free version of the audio show that you can get by going to giant bomb dot com slash Join.
Speaker 2: We will be right back.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back. It's Game Mess Mornings. Jason Fonelli, Jeff Grubb. Let's get into these reviews, this time not for a game, but a video game movie. Five Nights at Freddy's Two. The reviews are in, and it's I'm gonna read what Evan Campbell at game Spot right here.
Speaker 2: They are very bad, very bad reviews.
Speaker 3: All right, well, hey, the Popeye's Chicken Box was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reviews rolling out for five Nights that Freddy's two are brutal, featuring f grades and one critic saying that there's simply nothing of value here.
Speaker 2: The sequel premieres in theaters today. Right, It's like Jesus, we.
Speaker 1: Are all dumber for having known this movie exists. The sequel premieres in theaters today December fifth, and stars Josh Hutcherson, Piper Rubio, Matthew Lillard, Elizabeth Layle, McKenna Grace, and Megan Fox. On Metacritic, a Game Spots sister site Five Nights at Freddie's two is currently sitting at a thirty two metascore. That means generally unfavorable. Yeah, that's where all the reviews are at. It's doing much worse than the first movie, apparently in terms of the critical reception. And you know, I'm always interested to see, like, which way do these franchises break. Once the first movie makes some money, it's like, Okay, they're going to come back and do another one. Is it going to go the schlocky resident Evil? Let's just cash in on this route. I know that has its fans. I bet this is going to have its I might even end up watching this and becoming a fan.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: But there is that route, and then there's the sonic route, which is, hey, we have something here, let's really treat it nice and see if we can keep making new sequels that make more money in the future. I think instead what they have is a spreadsheet that says, hey, if we make a new movie and we don't cross this budget, we will make this amount of profit. And even if it's less than last time because of waning interest, well, we're still going to make a pretty hefty profit here, and we'll just keep doing that for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not surprising though, right. Video game movie getting poor, getting poor critic reviews. That happens every time.
Speaker 3: It feels like, yes, here's are you familiar with Five Nights as a franchise.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know the concept.
Speaker 3: I'm a lore Cicco for this. I'll played a second of any of these games. But I am a lore Cicco.
Speaker 2: That's the best kind of By the way, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Theory channels, so I have an idea of what the story is in this game. So the guy who made the game, Scot caught in in the first movie, he was a co writer. He had people, let's say, holding his hand. He did not have that in this movie. The soul writer. So if he's writing the movie like he wrote the games, there is no doubt in my mind that these critics were like, what the fuck is going on here? How we made the games? That the story the way he wrote his stories for video games simply will not work. Because part of the appeal in the videos that I have watched because I am a sissy, is finding the lure in hidden spots, whether it's hidden random mini games that pop up if you perform certain parameters, or audio logs from the guy that calls you in the first couple of movies. Phone guy that that stuff will appeal to the main fan base, which I do not think these reviews will deter them. They were seeing this movie whether they like it or not. The game theory fans of the world just to hear Matt Pat's voice come out of the toy Bonnie. They want hear that. They're going to see their animatronics. Apparently the practical effects are still very good, even in as that part's really cool. So but from a lower standpoint, if they're writing their their basic story the same way that they framed it in those games, this does not surprise me at all, and I don't think financially it will suffer that much for it. I truly do not.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think you're probably right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the game is like who knows, I don't know how they review it all, but that does not matter to that audience, like even a tiny bit.
Speaker 2: You're right. I think they're there for the lore.
Speaker 1: That definitely is the kind of what I see is a lot of YouTube shorts explaining, look at what's going on in this world or whatever, and they'll get more of that from this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I god, So wait, you're saying the guy that made the game is the only writer on this.
Speaker 3: On this movie, he was He was a co writer in the first movie with I believe the director and one other person. According to what I have read, he is the sole credited writer.
Speaker 1: It makes it more interesting because that, yeah, this could truly be for the sickos, like Capital Fts for the sickos, and that could be interesting to see.
Speaker 3: Reviews that I have read is that the entire third act of this movie doesn't exist. It's just a tease for future things, which is the entire fucking franchisees. Oh, it's what it does, right. There's also there's a there's a little little nod for horror fans too. Matt Lillard. Matthew Lillard is the bad guy, William Afton, the the serior killer who owns the restaurants and kills kids and their soul and habits that. Yeah, it's fucking weird. But the guy in the game, Lore, who was his business partner, is played in this movie by Skeet Olrick. And if you know where Skeet Ulrick and Matthew Lillard have paired up before, that's a nice little tip of the cap to horror fans. That's me. That's the kind of people we're gonna come see this movie. I it's I know, this doesn't surprise me at all. But the games as can be so incoherent in how they present their lore, and they won't answer questions answered Like there was a question in the fourth game fin f four in twenty would that be seventeen eighteen? Something like that that I think we still don't have a concrete answer to. After all, these games and movies and novels and graphic novels and children's activity books have the fucking law in them. It's everywhere. It Yeah, it's I'm not surprised that people think this is a coher it because the phrase you think Kingdom Hearts is in coherent. You people have no idea what's going on in this Adam and this Chuck E cheese ripoff. It's nuts, all right?
Speaker 1: If I like, those games are not like like so scary that if my kids like saw some of these videos right that they would be scared. It's probably they could probably handle it that way because you're also scared of video games, right, like, like I.
Speaker 2: Am it, don't do it. I need to know. I want to know what's going on.
Speaker 3: It's jump scar scary, it's not it's not gory scary, which there is not a whole lot of gore to it. But yeah, man, it gets into like it gets into like kids are inhabiting these animatronics because they were killed by the owner and they take their revenge, and that it's it's it's a it's an iceberg that you don't want to. I would recommend you to the game theory channel, the very popular Mattpack game theory channel, but there are I think no joke ninety episodes in eleven Night.
Speaker 2: And I fuck that.
Speaker 1: It's all right, Well, hey, I'm now gonna watch this movie on I didn't watch the first one. I'm gonna watch this one specifically. I need to see it, Okay, all right. Almost twenty five years later, a translated version of Sega Ga Guy is finally coming out. This is from Jonas Macki at Gameractor. Are you familiar with Sega Go Gay? We assume that very few of you will answer yes to that question, But then again, it is a very obscure Dreamcast game one that was released shortly after the console was discontinued in two thousand and one, and only in Japan, Sega Got God did get some attention, though mostly because of its weird premise. It's a super satirical strategy game where you're asked for saving Sega from excuse me from going under a healthy dose of self criticism and self irony by recruiting developers making popular games and fighting off their competitor, Dogma, a parody of Sony. Thanks to its meta approach, sleep design, and a lot of Sega fan service, it's still become a cult classic, but few have played it as it was never translated. However, a Sega enthusiast intends to change this and has now and has now been announced via Dreamcast Talk that a fan translation will soon be ready. Yeah, there's a lot of like really weird references in this game.
Speaker 2: I think, I think what.
Speaker 1: The Segata Sanshiro, I think is the name of the character? I think, yes, and I think he might be referenced in the game, And I'm like, well, that's one of my favorite characters of all time. So I'm gonna check this out. And I always love a new fan translation and a game I never really heard of, like for an old console that all these things are checking boxes for me, So I'm gonna hop in and look at this, and this is this is fantastic stuff.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The scene that translates these games feels like it's getting bigger and they're doing more and more deeper cuts and it's just awesome to see. Like, I'm glad gaming can still be this if they have not found ways to take this away from us of fans coming through and just making games for each other or doing the work for each other.
Speaker 2: And I love seeing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. Anytime an old school game like this that I had forgotten or even better, hadn't even heard of growing up, getting another chance to shine, and it seems like they're not. They're being left alone. Just get it out, do it. You're not going to make if they're as long as they don't charge any money for it, if it's just a free translation, I think that's where things start getting herey, right, I think this is awesome. I think if there are more fan favorites out there and people have the time to dedicate to it, if they can do free translation and get it into more people's sayings, just even if only for preservation, right, if that is your baseline reason for wanting to do it. It's worth it just to keep these games alive forever. I had never heard of this. I didn't realize there was a save Sega simulator back then. When it needs saving. This is a really cool idea. I may check this out. I may give it a shot once this fan translation came out. It's actually a good day for old school games that may be resurrected. I don't know if you saw this news. There was an interview with Suda fifty one at Grasshopper and he mentioned that he wanted to bring back an obscure PS two game called Michigan Report from Hell. Do you remember one? Actually, it's a survival horror action adventure, And as soon as he said the name, I remember seeing it on the shelf and being curious and never doing anything with it. So good day for obscure weird games getting shouted out into the Sega God. This is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing that was the era of like when weird games were coming from big companies. We get a lot of weird games these days, but they're weird out of nowhere. Who knows who made this thing on Steam and big companies don't really invest in weirdness.
Speaker 2: Anymore.
Speaker 1: And that's when it was like so punk rock in terms of, yeah, this team at this Japanese publisher is going to make this game, and they don't really tell them what to do. They're just going to come up with something, and suddenly we have whatever, you know, incredible crisis. So love love to see this stuff preserved, and I'm yeah, people are saying, I'll probably enjoy this.
Speaker 2: Also play Michigan. I will. That sounds incredible. I really like old games, guys, I promise I'll play that. We'll make that happen.
Speaker 1: Split Gate two launches as split Gate Arena Reloaded on December seventeenth. This is from sal Ramano at Kamatsu Free to play portal based arena shooters. Split Gate two will relaunch as under a new name, split Gate Arena Reloaded for PlayStation five, Xbox Series, PlayStation four, Xbox One, and PC the esteem at the Game Store and Microsoft Store.
Speaker 2: On December seventeenth. That's according to the studio.
Speaker 1: Ten forty seven Games also announced an upcoming mini documentary about the game to be released December ninth, and they say split Gate has always been a love letter to the arena shooters we grew up playing. We've been hard at work rebuilding the game from the ground up, taking the best of split Gate one and two, removing what didn't work, and refining what did. Watson, who had was previously game director of Rocket League, joined ten forty seven Games shortly after.
Speaker 2: Split Gate two entered early entered early Access in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I think they're saying, yeah, I okay, split Gate two is the one that came out already and fizzled and then they sort of de launched it, right, I.
Speaker 2: Think that happened beta.
Speaker 3: Was it a beta that they just kind of removed or like what made anything like that? Yeah? This was also the game with the fella going on the summer games Fest with the hat make make.
Speaker 2: Games great again? Man? Gaming again?
Speaker 1: What's wrong with that? Other than old man? I don't mean to offend you. I hope this doesn't offend you. Like he was such a nerd about it too. It happened right, It happened right alongside when the game was just seemed to be fizzling out. No one, no one cared. So yeah, what do you think happens now? Uh?
Speaker 3: I think it fizzles again. To be honest, I'm sorry to say, uh, I think the I think the ship is sailed on split Gate. I think the taint of that taint and his hat may still be there. I don't want to say that, because split Gate is a very cool, very interesting idea mixing you know, first person shooter or turning portal into an actual first person shooter instead of just shooting portals. Right, I like it. I like the first one. I thought it was really cool. I just hope that if it does have an opportunity, that they keep their goddamn mouth shut and just let the game speak for itself this time. Yet put it strap into his desk and say shut up, we'll take it from here. But I don't. I don't like its chances. I think again, I think. I think now people here split Gate, they immediately think of the hat, and that immediately removes any chance of being taken seriously that there may have been. And I'm sorry to say that because it's self sabotage in the worst way, but that's just how it is.
Speaker 1: Yep, you're right, and a lot of people are, even if they aren't like paying attention. It's like if you just see the bad vibes around a multiplayer game it's so easy to go play something else.
Speaker 2: There's so many options, So yeah, we'll see it.
Speaker 1: Seems like a lot of good people did work on their game, and I hope they do all right, But I think I agree with you that this is probably going to come and go as well, especially in the wake of Battlefield six and Arc Raiders being right there. People just have bigger, better options in a lot of ways, and you can kind of rest assured that those games have the long term support. So if you're investing your time and money into them, that will probably be returned to you in some way in the future.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Banjo Kazuoi Fan Project inside Sony's abandoned game Maker looks surprisingly great now. I know that was a roller coaster right there, everybody, And we'll get to Zax's license article over Kataka who here in a second's let's okay, yes, Banjo Kazooi Fan Project to go way down there, and then inside of Dreams.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you piece that together, okay. Uh.
Speaker 1: It looks so much better than what you're thinking. It looks incredible. It looks like they really just made a new banjo game. It is fantastic stuff. So let's get to Zach's story here. It seems very unlikely that we'll get a new Banjo Kazoo game from Rare in Xbox anytime in their near future. If they were working on one, I wouldn't be surprised if it got canceled. And while an impressive looking fan made banjo game created in Dreams isn't quite the sequel or remake people want, it's probably the best we can hope for in twenty twenty five. It's also wildly impressive for something made in Sony's five year old abandoned game maker. On December third, William but kivicus, But I don't know how to say this. William B, a level designer at Moon Studios, shared a trailer for Banjo Kazui mumbo Mania, a new non official one to two hour games starring everyone's favorite bear and bird. It looks really good. According to the creator, it took about fourteen months and eight hundred plus hours to make mumbo Mania.
Speaker 2: To make the mumbo Mania, and there's.
Speaker 1: A trailer out there where it's like it animates like a modern game, like Banjo's nose is bouncing around.
Speaker 2: He's just like doing platforming and collecting stuff.
Speaker 1: This is super impressive stuff and one to two hours, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a great time.
Speaker 3: I'm watching this trailer right now, and it looks like it looks like a banjo.
Speaker 2: Right live reacts here from Jason, who's blown away.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, how is Streams not like a roadblocks competitor.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, it's just rodeblocks. It's technology so much more dance. The games look so much better than well, that's the dribble you get out of dreams. Obviously, dreams can't compete. We live in a nightmare upside down world. Jason Finelli, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna say you have that backwards. You're being silly. Uh, this looks.
Speaker 2: Really cool, really cool.
Speaker 3: I with enough people getting this information, maybe Xbox could take some notes. Uh that's wild. I may buy dreams for this.
Speaker 2: I am buying dreams for this. Yes I am.
Speaker 1: I think I might already have dreams, But if I don't, I'm gonna buy it and.
Speaker 2: Then I'm gonna go find my way into this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It just looks so well done that I want to reward it. And apparently the person that did this has made other like full kind of games before and has done various projects. In fact, the one before this was supposed to be his last one, and then he did this Bancho Kazu.
Speaker 2: He won. It's kind of as a surprise.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's people that really get it, and it's just a shame a couple of things. Dreams never came to PC, so a little bit more difficult to access this thing. That's frustrating whatever, But they were at one point, and I don't know if this was just talk or maybe like fans got it in their heads, but my understanding was at one point the idea was going to be that people could build an experience in Dreams and then sort of export it and let it live on its own. Now, of course there's rights issues of exporting stuff that includes Banjo Kazui, Microsoft's IP, but whatever, I just like, I wish it was easy just to export this in like hand a file to someone or put it up on PlayStation as something sharable. If you have Dreams where it's like you don't even have to download Dreams. You could just play this game and be ready to go.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a shame that Dreams did not become more of a thing.
Speaker 1: I think that Media Molecule coming out of that and still living in a post Rodblocks world will be like still trying to make something like that happen.
Speaker 2: But man if Dreams that is capable.
Speaker 1: Of something like this didn't work, It's like, I don't know what the recipe is to get something like that to actually compete in this world where, like Grant I thought it was going to have its own creation suite and Roadblocks is still going to be there, and Fortnite's doing its own thing with that stuff. It's got to be frustrating to Medium Molecule, who's been doing that for longer than just about anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like I want this to be a full experience.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: This is wild stuff. And again it speaks, as you said, it speaks to just how good of a game Generator Dreams was. But I think part of the reason is the lack of PC And part of the reason that people may have been dissuaded by this is because to get here in this video that we're watching now, it took, as you said, eight hundred hours of work, and people people just don't have it unless they really want to dedicate time to it, so I get it, but man, oh man, the potential of that platform is still clearly out.
Speaker 1: Of this world. Like will we've not seen the end of it. We've not seen the end of medium malecule doing something.
Speaker 2: Along these lines.
Speaker 3: I not at all.
Speaker 1: You know, that is a studio that if Sony was going to close them, they probably would have by now. So that to me says they see some potential there and they're going to keep trying to make that work even though Dreams was, you know, a miss for them. I think they're like, you know, we can figure out a way to wrap this up in a container that makes it more appealing and get sort of the benefits of the user generated content economy. All right, last headline here, it's a sad one RESTful trails to Mortal kombats Sheng Sung played by Carrie hero Yuki Tagawa, who died at age seventy five. This is from John Walker at Kotaku. Carry hero Yuki Tagawa was an actor that everyone would immediately recognize, but perhaps many would struggle to name. Known best for his portrayal of Sang Sung. Shang Sung Excuse me in nineteen ninety five is ridiculous Mortal Kombat movie, and I'm assuming that John Walker means ridiculous in a good way because that's the best video game movie, and then voicing the character in the game in the game since twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: God, that's right, he returned in twenty thirteen. Yeah, this this stinks.
Speaker 1: I I think that I was said on a show last night that he just has such a presence in that Mortal Kombat movie. I think he's like a sort of the lench pin to make that whole thing work. He was just so charismatic and and like scene stealing. Uh, this is a this makes me real sad. I think this guy seemed really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I am very very glad that he got to reprise the role in not just his face, in his likeness in Mortal Kombat eleven one last go with the with the character that he made iconic. That was very very cool. And then to see Mortal Kombat one carry on that version of the character with the I don't remember the name of the actor who played him in one, but it sounds just like a young Tagawa. It's insane. This sucks. Yeah, this is this is sad. It's it's the the memes like it has begun and you will die. They will live on forever in the heads.
Speaker 2: Of mine and kills it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's sad a guy like that, and even the other roles like Krawl in Planet of the Apes. Was him to go Me and Man at the High Castle? Great show?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, and he's great and that he's great in that show. He really is happy to see him there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he did he voiced for what Star Wars Vision, Star Wars Rebels, Blue Eye Samurai. He's he was more prolific than you think. Go look up his IMDb or his Wikipedia filmography, and I guarantee you there will be multiple projects that you enjoy that you didn't even know he was a part of. Yeah, seventy five. It's a life well lived and he made an impact on a lot of people. That's really all you can ask for. Pappy Trails Poal, yep. Absolutely, Rest in peace, brother. All right, let's get to the pole question from yesterday. Let's see over here, I have the most up to date and fresh results. Were you planning on building a PC? And six thirteen percent said yes, eighty seven percent said no. Very good news for that. Eighty seven percent. Hopefully you can maybe not do one for the next two years. For that one in ten, that more than one in ten, one in nine. I suppose respondents who are saying I was planning to do that.
Speaker 2: Man, it's going to get rough out there, and you know.
Speaker 1: That's that's probably It probably is like sort of like the normal number, like one in ten. People are probably going to upgrade their PC. It's like a mattress, what you buy one every five to ten years, and so that is going to be the normal amount of demand versus just limited supply and higher prices.
Speaker 2: So it's it's going to get real rough. I am.
Speaker 3: I was in that ten percent ten percent. I my my current rig was a pandemic build, so I am due for a couple of tunes. But I'm not due for any tunes anymore. I'll say that it's it just can't and it sucks because I can't. This rig can't support Windows eleven, so I'm stuck on ten for the foreseeable future, and that scares me because security updates don't happen anymore. So I it's bad timing for sure. Yeah, fish something out, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the kind of thing where it's uh, you know, my recommendation for anyone doing this now, it's what I would be doing, is getting in that used market and getting second hand parts and just trying to go on the cheap for now or people like for gaming, like obviously, if you're trying to get your machine secure for work and stuff like that, this is not going to help necessarily, but for gaming, g Force now continues to be pretty cool. So if you want to just stream from the cloud instead, g Force networks.
Speaker 2: All right, that's the pole question from yesterday out of the way.
Speaker 1: No new pole question because we're going to be doing the Bomb twelve to wrap up the week, so let's get everything.
Speaker 2: Else out of the way.
Speaker 1: Let's see Jason Finelli, why don't you tell people where you can find you on the internet, what you have going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: I am Jason Finelli dot com, on Blue Sky, Big Man, Finelle, everywhere else. Like I said, I will be at the Game Awards next week. Got some cool things in the pipeline already there. Other than that, I write news for game Spot pretty often.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you can hear what's going on. I don't know what the dolls are freaking out about Sorry, guess, but but yeah, we're doing it, man, We're coming towards the end of the year. Twenty twenty six is on the horizon, and this weekend in particular, I will be embedded in the Marvel to con Closed Beta. I did get in. So if you're hanging around in the East Coast server and you see big Man finelle Let's slap fight, I would love to play a couple of matches with you. I will be in there multiple times throughout the weekend. Played about an hour this morning. That shit has the juice. It's so it's so fun. It's a simplified control scheme with way more complicated things to do, so you're still only have you only have to press certain buttons and directions to do the special moves. But the way that you could link them together and the way that you can like really create some wild ass combos with all of your different partners coming in is really neat. I like that you have to unlock certain partners by doing the screen transitions. That's an interesting little strategic foible. I do have one worry in my limited time with it, and it is purely from a watching standpoint. From a competitive standpoint, when the game finally launches, Arc system Works tends to fall into a trap where they create these elaborately animated super moves and then they become an integral part of the strategy and you can't skip the cutscenes. Dragon Ball Fighter Z fell into that a lot, and I expect that so far, it's not that bad. But there were a couple instances where I wasn't even trying to do the supermove and I did the super move and I'm like, oh, gives a munching the animation again kind of like kind of like throws your vibe off a little bit when you're in the middle of the match, but it's it's easy to come back from and very much a nitpick in what is otherwise a super cool game.
Speaker 2: Yep man. Okay, looking forward to hearing more about that as you play more. Okay, excellent, let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, with that out of the way, let's talk about what's happening on jihn Bomb For the rest of today. We're gonna have a upf We're gonna be doing some Kirby City trials, hanging out all We'll have like a room going.
Speaker 2: We'll see how it's gonna work exactly.
Speaker 1: But you want to hang out and play with us all you can put the room code out there if it's gonna work.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that'll be happening later today.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to that, and then I'm gonna go play some more Metroid and get out here for the weekend. So all right, let's see. I think that means it's time for the bomb twelve.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the twelve games that really matter to people who are really playing video games. We got a last minute updates. I got this done right before we started the show. Let's go here with number twelve, World of Warcraft. It has that new update. People are checking it out again. That's usually how that goes. It's actually often in this range in the responses, so not surprised that the update, which is either here or it's coming, is pushing people over the edge.
Speaker 2: And now that's number twelve.
Speaker 1: Number eleven is Final Fantasy, fourteen, Number ten is Sectory, which, boy man, that is in my top five for games of the year. Now, after I kind of a god run going, it's like, oh yeah, this is They've really just designed the hell out of this thing. Number nine is our Greaders. Number eight is Print Pokemon Legends z A. Number seven Kingdom Come Deliverance to number six Death Stranding too. Yeah, I think it's one of those ones where it's end of the year. There's some sales. A lot of people jumped in to check out Kingdom Come Deliverance too. Number five Battlefield six, Number four Hollow Nights Silk Song that means number three Demon School up from like number five last week. Number two Haighties two still just permanently locked in at number two right now, and number one metroy Prime four just released. I know some people on Wednesday night traveled to Australia somehow magically instantly and started playing the game early, and so yeah, I know, right, pretty impressive, and then since then everyone else has been able to pick it up. I'm about three to four hours in. I'm enjoying it so far, so I kind of need to wait to see what people are seeing about the rest of the game.
Speaker 3: I saw a maybe you can sid a little light on this. Somebody called Metroid Prime for its version of a three D Zelda. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've not encountered that stuff so far, but talking to Dan, who said the same thing. It's like, uh yeah, a lot of the big areas that you would sort of sort that would be more interconnected or more standalone, like temples or not shrines. Yes, like a dungeons from Zelda, And so that's how they thought about it. It seems like I've not seen that myself yet, though, I think I'm just kind of getting to that point.
Speaker 3: Got it, got it cool? Yeah, I haven't approached it yet. It's on my list.
Speaker 1: Wonder it soon, Hey, Poppy, Yeah, see nothing, the'll freakout. It's just Jeff Yeah, no, Nora the bark he.
Speaker 3: Was two floors up and you heard.
Speaker 2: You can just smell me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we have a well have a new Bomb twelve next week. Everybody Again, things the schedule's gonna get hairy here near the end of the year, with us traveling to do our Game of the Year stuff for us taking some time off near the end of the year. We'll have more to say about all the specifics on all of that, but you know, when I can, we're gonna be doing game mess mornings and there will be a Bomb twelve in one form or another every week.
Speaker 2: So thanks to everybody, who submitted their game.
Speaker 1: We'll have a new link up on the new giant bomb dot com as that is getting ready to launch once again. Shouts out to Chuck for helping us out with that and really helping us doing all of the work, just kind of killing it and being incredible.
Speaker 2: So looking forward to that launching and yep, just thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank Chuck for Chuck all right, and in the meantime, let's thank Jason for Jason Jason Boneller, thank you so much for being here and talking about video games with me.
Speaker 2: Man I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure, my friend. Looking forward to the next time.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, Take care of yourself, take care of yourself and have a good one.
Speaker 2: Goodbye and thanks Jan.
Speaker 3: Thanks