Speaker 1: SEC mediain't recap. Gotta get Coop's thoughts on all of this here on the Sooner or Later Sports Show presented by insert blank. That's Coop. I'm Jay. Thanks filling up here on the YouTube channel and listening word of a podcast to download it and listen to while you're here, Please wipe your feet like subscribe, rate review and give us five stars. Jump thep with desert gone ahead and give us five anyway and gifted so on today's episode of The Sooner or Later Sports Show presented by insert blank, Me and Coop's got a lot to talk about, like the SEC media days and the media poll came out, plus the all conference teams. We're also gonna dive into a few other topics like you know stuff, and we'll probably wrap things up with can the Sooners make a title run? As well as why the Bluetobe ratio says we can't cope? Happy Sunday, my man?
Speaker 2: How you doing doing good? Doing good?
Speaker 3: It's we've got to that spot. I think I said in our discord. It feels like August thirty, August thirtieth thirty first is like eleventy billion days away. It's just hot outside there's nothing just hot. It's like the back end of July. It's just hot and so but yeah, yeah, no, I'm having a good Sunday.
Speaker 1: How about you?
Speaker 2: What was your Sunday? Feel like?
Speaker 1: Sunday's been going good? Man, just prepping content. I'm traveling this week, so you want to get some stuff out in a head before I am basically disappearing for a few days. But you know, a lot of great stuff came out of last week's as it's them media day. I'm still recovering sleep. It was a very, very very busy week. If you didn't check it out, Me and John did a lot of stuff over all lockdown sooner as I got to do some absurdly lucky interview from Richard Johnson from CBS Sports, Jordan Rogers, ESPN, Jim Naggy popped up and I mentioned it in the video of one of the videos. I did other recaps, but I kind of give some of y'all the story. They haven't got to check it out yet. I don't know how it happened, but like I somehow got lucky for him to pull up. So we're me and John's at the table, So our table's all locked on just podcasts in general. And it's Oklahoma Day and we're me and John's hanging out prepping and waiting for BV to go up there. We had finished our interview with Robert Spears Jennings and so we're like, all right, you know, get stuff together, go downstairs, listen to BV do his intro. Because we did the RSJ interview like an hour before they were actually going out there. Mike how shout out to him. The guy over at the sid over at ou shout us. He just said, yeah, we're gonna let you interview him. We'll do it early at the closer the holding room. Cool, got that done. Coop went back to the table, chilled, and we'd look up and Jim Naggy's walking around. I'm just like, I didn't realize he was in town, but it makes sense, you know, yeah, SEC media day, so you know, I was like, okay, he came with the team or whatnot. And so he's walking around. We're our table is right next to uh Jake Crane and the folks from Crane and Co. So we were sitting right next to them, and he's headed over to them to do an interview. As he knows them. And then so John gets up, shakes his hands and just introduce himself. L whatnot introduce us both. He's like, hey, you know, we just want to introduce ourselves. You know, we'll price you around, you know, if you have time, we'd love to talk with you. If not, no worries. And he's like, I'll come back around. And I'm like, sure you are. Yeah, yeah, appreciate it though. Appreciate that, you know, the niceness, right, the nice gesture and everything. So he says this, and I I'm like, yeah, So you know, I sit around there. He he chit chats with a Thingstoia and uh and I think it was I think it was I think it was Eddie. I can't remember Eddie of Colton Sully somebody. A few people will talk to him. And so he, you know, he chit chats with him. He's like, yeah, I gotta go do a couple of hits and I'll come back over here. And again, in my mind, I'm like, you ain't coming back over here, all right, So I like, I sit around for a bit. That's not the wait. And I'm like, all right, bv's about to start. I'll give it ten minutes and no, I'll go down there. Because we knew BV was gonna go for a while. It wasn't a situation where we expected BV to not you know, BV. I think he was a little longer, uh exactly, and you know, I appreciate it. So I was like, all right, I'm gonna go upstairs. So I went downstairs, sat next to John. Got the last ten minutes of BV talk, plus the questions and stuff. So I'm sitting there listening and everything, and then he finishes. They disperse and he's like, we got about ten minutes before the players come into the pods and sit and I'm like, all right, cool, I'm gonna go. I'll go upstairs, get some stuff and come back. Dog. I go up there, I sit, and one of the other guys out of the whole group of people, he says he's gonna come back to He's sitting right by me doing his interview. I'm like, oh, shoot, he came back. I set up real quick, just in case. As soon as he's done, he walks up to me and he goes to my seat and says, uh, that's where I sit. And I'm like, oh, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is this where I sat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is yeah, this is where I mean, yes, that's where you sit. And I was just awkward as hell and I was like, I was not prepared for that. But it was cool to see that, you know, he actually came back and chopped it up with me and so interview was great. We'll talk about that in a minute, because that's all, of course a major topic there. But Coop, as you went through some of the stuff that you saw coming down, talk to me what did you what did you see?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What jumped out to you? What quotes got your attention?
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of quotes, you know, around asking R Mason, Robert Spears, Jennings, you know, kind of about their tour in season one, around different stadiums, a lot of LSU questions, you know, how was that? What? What are people when they expect to see when they go to Norman? And so, you know, I think that it was a really you know, really good set of questions around you know, just your experience and uh, you know how how you found that thing?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: In season one? You know what you're going to get when you go to Norman? Was was another great one because you know, it's a it's funny when you when you listen to our Mason you kept on talking about, oh yeah, a lot of a C d C and uh yeah, yeah, a lot of a lot, a lot of a lot of rock and roll music. And so it's you know, some of those quotes were pretty funny. You know, it seemed like the the MATERI hype his is starting to reach a national scale, and it's pretty crazy just you know, the amount of people it looked like. You know, there was the there was the arch manning going up to Paul find bomb. That was a pretty funny, uh, pretty funny exchange.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Paul you know, had a little fanboy on him and then uh then Matier you know, hops in and he's like acts like he's gonna jump right up on the set and then thought better of it or I don't know if people behind the camera were you know, going crazy like you know, don't do it, don't do it. But he you know, circled back around u uh, you know, find bomb and find bomb. You know, he had had a back and forth with him, you know, for a few seconds there. And so a lot of good you know, a lot of good people wanting to kind of learn a little bit more about Jeometerier. I like some of the questions uh, you know went towards our Mason, R.
Speaker 1: S J.
Speaker 3: It seems like they they did a really really good job, you know, not taking some some some bait questions, uh, you know on you know, slam in the offense from last year. Uh, there was questions you know about Jackson Arnold coming back and playing, and so the guys were you know, trained really really well. Uh, our Mason looked uh, you know, our Mason looked pretty stacked.
Speaker 2: But I mean R.
Speaker 3: S J, that dude just looks I mean like he was about to bust out the seams of you know, of his uh his tailored suit. And so yeah, there's a there's a lot of a lot of good stuff there.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, b V seemed to talk about the the relationship with him and Jim Nagy you know, in a in a better uh light in front of I guess all of the world. You know, we we see a lot of that around here. But you know, really alleviated a couple of the you know, the the the wonders of you know, who's taken you know, marching order from who and more of you know, let him know, it's more of a collaboration. So, you know, it seemed pretty good. Didn't seem like there was there was much bulletin board material. The guys were you know, like I said, were trained up pretty well. Uh, but there's a little bit of a you know, cat that eight the Canary type of a situation. And in Matier seems like he wanted to h just wanted to really really say a lot more than he did. It seemed a lot of confidence. People just want to get in here and get get to going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so start off with BV. I liked how he opened, you know, I liked how he opened with talking about the snaps that we had from young players. Yeah that that's that's two years in a row. Cool, right, Yeah, we're playing a lot of the younger players, a lot more snaps than we probably even anticipated. And I remember when it was Miguel Chaves had dropped the it was a he had dropped the stat that we had played the most like freshman, red shirt, freshman's and sophomores to in a season in twenty twenty three. So we played a lot of young players and in this year was very much similar to that, which you could tell you could tell a lot of the youth was there. You could tell a lot of youth in the way people were playing well at the same time. Yeah, pretty exciting to see that we're able to play young players and be comfortable with it. I mean, you know, we know how bad last year was, but the fact that you were able to do that with you know that, with a lot of young players and that defense be able to do that, it's a pretty darn good thing. And I did like that BV was you know, pretty complimentary of you know, Jackson and others. Like you said, the other players, it's something similar. I like the fact that they they handled it with a lot of grace. They didn't have to go out there and take shots. They felt no need to because you know why, Like, what what value do you bring?
Speaker 2: Yeah? An good about that?
Speaker 1: There's nothing good about being you know, being petty in that capacity. Just go out there, you know, do what you need to do, thank you know, thank him for his service, and continue to you know, move forward. But the young players cool. I think that was a That was probably the one thing to jumped out to me the most. Yeah, a lot, It's like that's a lot more. I didn't expect them any steps real talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I've gone back here the past couple of weeks and rewatched a lot of the games and it was crazy just you know, it was watching the Alabama game yesterday and uh watched the watch the Texas and Alabama game yesterday and some of the pre you know, the stats towards the end of the year, OHU was in the top ten in yards per rush giving up you know, and obviously they had they had a boy and the hurt locker, Jalen Milroe and and then you know, but that defense just you know, continued to show, continue to show, continue to show, and and you know, it's it's it's it's crazy just to look at There was a one point where I think he was talking about the Alabama game and he looked out and there were nine freshmen on the field, and so you know, you look at that and you're just like woll I mean, that's that's only great experience. And if you can't, I mean, obviously nobody wants to go through a season like we just went through last year, with the injuries and with the the rotations, you know, nine different starting offensive linemen. I don't even know how many different combinations played at one point.
Speaker 1: And the thing was up to the thirteen games, you had some sort of a different configuration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, and you know it's it's it's you know, it was sad. At one point, Brendan Thompson goes down and you know, even even the commentators were like, oh my god, not another not another wide receiver injury, Like how many of these things? I watched the old Miss game middle of the week, you know, pretty late, and it was crazy how they were talking about with h with their their I think it was wells was doubt and it was just nuts how they were like, you know, how much does it affect your team when you're you know, number one wide receiver goes down and you know, I know you fans were like, I mean, give us a break, you know, what about what about your top six? And you know there were no wide receivers in that game that you know, I mean, I guess are slected to start at this.
Speaker 2: Point this year?
Speaker 3: And so you know, it's it's that the young players playing last year. If you can't get the blowouts, you know, at least there's a silver lining in the fact that you had a lot of those guys, you know, going up against the best of the best in the SEC. And now there is a new year coming and you know, anything that's been done before this first snap of snap one is it's only going to count towards experience and because your record last year didn't mean anything, and that's why you play the game.
Speaker 1: Five new coaches Coop our Buckle, Kuziski, of course, the county coach Kevin Wilson, and then of course the two linebacker coaches and dry Ling as well as Goodwin. I have a question here as we stay here with Brent Vnables, because this question was asked a lot, and I actually I want to record something on this and talk about the shouts are guy Red Dirt sports in here. Red is in here. He has telled all of you to get in the water. Get in the water, because the dude is sold on this team. So go ahead and under and believe him when he says this. He's probably the most not only connected but also cautiously optimistic people that I know. He does not gas anything up, but he's been saying get in the water. I'm getting in the water, buddy, I'm in there. But question for you, Coop, this has been asked of be like crazy, and I'm trying to figure this out. It's everyone's asking him and players about him now calling the defense. He's gonna go do something that he didn't do before, which is be the quote unquote defensive coordinator while so they head coach. While at the same time this isn't the first time this has ever happened. I ask you this, Coop. First off, what side of the ball do you feel like is the most important side of the ball is the offense of the defense.
Speaker 3: I mean it's got to be the defense. Defense sets the tone your defense. If your defense is good, then you take away the game plan and the offense. And I mean with the complimentary football is always the right answer. But when your defense can go out and set the tone, you know, it gives the ball back the you know where your offense can go and execute its game plan. You know on your own side. So if you if you knock the opposing team's offense off their game plan and you get a chance to set up your offense for they're full, you know on sught of plans, then that's where you're going to run.
Speaker 1: And I could totally agree with you there. I feel like for myself, I think defense, as well as important, is a little bit more important. But I'm also but what we're seeing, based upon everyone's actions is offense is the most important side of the ball. And I say that because what you typically see is is that whenever someone gets hired, they're typically most schools, teams NFL on college are typically hiring more of the quote unquote offensive geniuses, the ones that are figuring out how to get past these defenses, which, granted, we're seeing that more and more. And I think it's funny that a lot of people are saying, oh, you know, you know, even though a lot of people are questioning BB calling the plays on defense when we have do that call the offensive plays all the time, Like I don't understand, Like it's say, oh, he must be failing because he now he needs to call his defense. No, he's really good at it. That's something that he's been very good at in his entire career. That's similar to why you have your offensive guys. You have, like most recently, Lane Kiffin has given up the play calling duties. I think it's like a year ago he did. But Clark Lee over at Vanderbilt ran his defense last year, but he just gave it up to one of his internal guys. I actually expect BV to do something similar. That's for another conversation. But billion Apier still runs the offenses at Florida. Josh Hipel calls the offense at Tennessee. Sark calls the offense at Texas, right, Jimbo Fisher when he was there at A and M. It's not a good example, but at the same time, he was calling the plays there, right. But it's fascinating how very common it is on the offensive side of the ball, and no one truly blinks an eye much, but when you hear about a defensive guy doing it, people get like nervous. So it makes me feel like even though teams hire more offensive dudes because they're looking for people to outdo a defense, they think defense is more important. It's something that requires someone to be fully dedicated to in order to be successful. I thought that's a fascinating concept. As everyone was asking BV about calling the defense this season, and.
Speaker 3: And I liked I liked his response too, because he said, you know, he went out there and it's I mean, it's no, it's no hidden secret that you know. Jim Knowles was his first choice, and then when that first choice went away, he was his second choice. And in watching some of the and god bless the folks who put all the games out on YouTube, because I kind of just happened into the eight Texas Tech game and guess who was calling the defense against that high flying, just disruptive team that just came off of a you know, a win versus Texas. It was bren Vinables. Bren Vinables was the defensive coordinator. They absolutely stifled that entire you know, sexist Tech offense that day, and that sets you up. And so I think that it is you know, we've seen the backside of it where your offense is really good and the defense is just an absolute sieve. And we've now seen what happens when your defense is good and your offense is just, you know, absolutely just stagnant as all can get out. You got to have the complimentary football.
Speaker 2: And with Brent.
Speaker 3: Vinables able to go out there and say, hey, listen, I was my second choice for the defense. And I don't think that this is going to be a long term solution. I bet that you know, Brent Vivenables will slowly start handing things over. But I think that with how many head coaches on the staff, or how many coaches on the staff have play calling and head coaching duties, now you've got so many guys across the board. I mean, that's what made Nick Saban, you know, great, as he would go out and he'd get these guys on these reclamation projects and bring him in. They knew how to run stuff, they knew what would happen, and you know, they would let you know, let Saban know, you know, what their thoughts were. And I mean that's the the reclamation project for Steve Sarkisian was getting to Alabama, going in there, getting trusted with that offense, calling a good offense to go with a good defense. So you have to have to if you have any type of if you have any type of you know, hope that you're going to go out and do the things that you know this team has, you know, plans for You got to have, you know, a respectable offense and a respectable defense.
Speaker 1: And it's crazy you say that. Going back to that eight game, they knocked off the number one team in the country, Texas at the time, knocked them off thirty five, thirty nine to thirty three, beat Oklahoma State, who was number nine in the country at the time, fifty six to twenty, and then lost to Oklahoma right afterwards. And the funny thing about that is is when you look at their entire breakdown on the season, they scored at minimum thirty five points in every single game except for against Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Sept And And let's be honest, that was I want to say that it was. I'm check my math. You're thirty five to three at half time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it was, it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was no, I'm sorry, you're you're closed, but not not correct. It was forty two to seven at the half.
Speaker 2: Okay for Texas Tech.
Speaker 1: Yes, they had seven points. They just quart a touchdown the second quarter.
Speaker 3: So the the goal, I mean, the point remains. I mean, you look at it.
Speaker 1: Was thirty seven the third in the second quarter though, it was almost blasting the tail and it came I'm looking at the box scoring now because I'm cracking up at it.
Speaker 3: But uh, but regardless, you know, you've got you've got all these guys calling these plays, you know, for their team on the offensive side, and you've got the uh you know, I get to the scarecrow offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Who is it by name?
Speaker 3: But I promise you it's you want to you want to have, you know, faith in one side of the ball. Then I you know, I want to say that like the defense, if you need a if you need to stop, and if you need out, and actually make that happen. And you know, I know that somebody's in here chirping. But you know, ben Arbuckle was a guy who was going somewhere big this season, and that was you know, there was talks in that, you know early that was one of the I you know, I don't know for sure if our Buckle was number one or number two, but he sure as hell wasn't number fifth option. And a lot of the reason why is you wanted to bring somebody who was going to be able to bring some continuation. And then you know, that's one of the things that John Matier talked about this weekend was you know, he didn't have to come in to learn a new offense like he was going to have to come in and learn a new offense if he went to a North Carolina or if he went somewhere else. But having that continuation with our buckle having that continuation, and I only even I hate trying to even say his name, the quarterback coach.
Speaker 2: You know, that's that's so.
Speaker 3: That is a you know, that is a big That is a big, big thing. Is you're going to want to go in and you know, install this offense, and if you've got multiple people who are out there able to do it. You know, I heard in the spring, you know a lot of the defense it was pretty frustrated because the offense was actually clicking. And so when your offense comes in, you know, that's only going to make the defense even better, because I mean the defense, I mean, you got to give it up to them last year for doing as well as they did going up against i mean, almost nothing all season long in practice, and so they they're their best. Their best I guess practice came on Saturdays. And so you've got you've got Drumetier, who is still.
Speaker 1: Before you get to that, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, right, yeah, exactly. It is yet to be seen. But again, and we'll talk about him and his comments in a second, but I think it's fascinating just the way everybody's talking about BV running the defense I think that that's It's just it makes me laugh because so many people do it. Do it on the other side of the ball, it's okay, And I guess because on offense you're controlling the pace of the game more. I'm guessing that's what everybody thinks. The timeouts need to be a little bit smarter and all of that. But as it was mentioned in the comments section, Kevin Wilson's most likely your offensive head coach since you can have analysts on the field now and actually let them participate. That was one of the rules that changed when all of the nil stuff went down. And so if Kevin Wilson's working with our buckle on making sure that the offense is flowing not only properly, but also make sure that timeouts are called properly and that focus is there so BV can do all the defense stuff while still being the CEO. Some coaches are heading back into that. Like I said, Clark Lee, he just recently promoted one of his defensive assistants up to DC now after he ran it last year, and you saw how good Vanderbilt was. That was a massive turnaround because not only was the offense solid, the defense was really solid a Israel as well, getting Diego Pavia and his coach and Tim Beck. He didn't have to he let Beck do his thing and now he can CEO it and really help with making sure everything's organized. So that was a smart move on his part, which I think Vanderbilt's gonna probably be a sleeper. We'll do a sec preview of who we think is gonna be where later, but let's talk some of the player comments or whatnot. Thank you out for pulling up hit the like butt new to the channel, subscribe rate review, give us five insert ad here in the future when the season starts. But cool so of course, materials the talk of the town. But I really liked the Robert Spears Jennings quote that we saw from him when they asked him about the schedule, and he said when he said this, I was a little shocked hearing it because it was at the pods or whatnot, and they asked him basically, first off, what they're doing, and he said this to me and John, Well, their focus on defense is being better communicating. Didn't feel like it was up to snuff last year, but that's their focus because a quiet defense is a dead defense. That was quote number one. I love that of them. So he said those, So this year we're emphasizing communication. But the second one though, they asked him about the toughness of the schedule, and he was like, I don't see it as tough. I see him as money games. Scouts are gonna be their agents are gonna be there, everybody's be watching those are the games is gonna be on TV. People will be paying attention to So this is an opportunity instead, So you look at this as more of an opportunity than anything. And when he said that, I was like, oh my gosh it dude gets it. And he's becoming one of the vocal leaders there. What you think about RSJ and his rounds?
Speaker 3: You know that's that that also, I'm glad you brought that up because you know, Robert Spears, you know, obviously a Tassa kid. That's you know, we gotta love the Tulsa Boys. But not only you know, has that not been really requested of him up to this point, Like you know, he's got to learn from Billy Bowman. Uh, he's got to learn from Danny, he got to learn from Ethan And there's different leadership styles you know, when we go back to the quarterbacks, you know, when you go from Baker to Kyler, that's two different leaderships. And then going right over to Hurtz, that's a different, you know, set of leadership. You know, you and a Ratler and that's completely different. Caleb Williams completely different.
Speaker 1: D G.
Speaker 2: It's like every.
Speaker 3: Single so he in his time, he's been able to see a lot of really really you know, a variety of leadership styles. And you got to think number one, I mean, his hard work, that's that's there, that's going to be there, and he has been an afterthought in a lot of people's in a lot of people's perception, you know, to this point, because the dude just goes out and make plays like that's just one of the things that he continues to do. You know, in watching some of these games over again, you know, there there's times to where you know, you see you see somebody slide out and then all of a sudden RSJ comes down and makes it play and you're like, I forget about him all the time. And so he's he's got the production there, he's got obviously the skill set is phenomenal, and when you have the defense that this team is going to have. It allows you just to play within yourself, do what you're going to do, and he's going to be able to you know, focus in on what he's doing, focusing on his play. But then also you know, get in and it's not just being loud and being vocal and you know, ra on everybody up. Sometimes it's picking somebody up. Sometimes it's grabbing somebody and saying, hey, don't you know let that let that one go, like we need you now here. And those are the things that people are going to be paying attention to. On your comments about him saying this schedule is just money games, I mean, yeah, you look at it as an opportunity and if the goal is gets the league, then you want to put up good film against good teams, and it's going to be you know, much better than you know throwing out you know, I saw a stat you know about a specific you know, X conference of ours and there were two national championships, both in like the nineties. I think that was the last. There's only two national championships in the history of that conference.
Speaker 2: Right now, good lower when when you know.
Speaker 3: As you know, when we left, I said it was the now the Bless Your Heart Conference, because I think that when you go into these games, you know, week in week out, you know, typically they'll pick out impact players two on this side of the ball, two on this side of the ball. It's more than that every single week, you know, when you have the schedule that we have, because you know you're looking at some of the top draft picks a week in, a week out, who are going to be in the NFL Draft of this coming April, are going to be coming from those games. You know, when you're lining up against a Texas, when you're lining up against an old Miss and LSU, those things are going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's the best part is the him pointing out how they're an opportunity just made me say, you get it, now, you get it, get everything. So that's the plus. Moving on from there, then you into our Mason Thomas and really his the thing he said he needs to focus on is gonna be setting the edge, run stopping right. And I loved how he he pointed that out, getting his weight up, getting stronger, maintaining his speed and making sure that he's stopping the run. I was like, Okay, you get it. You understand the things that you need to do to help with that. You finished with nine sacks last season, and that's pretty darn that's a lot. You know, six of those coming in SEC play, so you didn't you know stat pad and uh, you know in non con which a lot of teams you know and players do you got yours in actual SEC plays when you get the bulk of your stuff. So for him, that's pretty big. I actually liked that, and he talked of course, they both talked about Jeob Materion. We'll talk about him next. What you think about our Mason? Anything jump out to you for him?
Speaker 3: With him, you know, yeah, had the issues a free though he didn't remember the creator. Uh so hopefully hopefully he hooked that guy with some love at some point. But I'll say that when R. Mason's out there, it is it was just immediately just just relevant that the guy's just ready to get on the field like that. It just seems like that's all that he wants to do is to get out there and be on the field.
Speaker 2: And this guy takes it serious.
Speaker 3: And when you have people who take things serious and they're not just all about talk, they want to get out there and do stuff. Those are guys that you want to watch, because he could have said, yeah, you know, I I was, you know, in the top of the top of the sec and sacks, top of the nation in sacks. You know, he saw weakness in his game and he brought up the weakness. He did a little eight mile M and M style right there. Right it's you know, adding a few lbs. Want to be better at setting the run, you know, because he caused all kinds of havoc. And you know, I would say that last year didn't get in you know, an exceptional an exceptional amount of help from the other side. You know, the middle of the defense was really really good, but the edge part, you know, it was our mason and then a bunch of you know, happy helpers. And so I think that this year he's going to get a lot more one on ones. But you know, the thing that's going to get him higher in the league is how well do you stop the run? Because even though the running backs are you know, not super value like they used to be. And you know that's why nobody's getting too stoked about, you know, running back recruiting. You know, new running backs in the you know, to your to your NFL franchise anything like that. You you see that opportunity of you know, this defense is going to you know, with the complimentary offense, the defense is going to be putting teams in more of a spot. You know, that was the clear thing for the Alabama game. You know, a lot of our Mason's production is when it was a dead set, we know that they're passing the ball. Our Mason showed up all the time, and it wasn't always getting there. It was forcing pressure, forcing up into somebody else, you know, forcing somebody into a bad raid, a bad coverage. And you know, so I think think that that's good, you know, him wanting to point out the things that he needs to.
Speaker 2: Get better at.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm all for that because this year, you know, I think that there is going to be a lot more explosion on the other side too.
Speaker 1: And then they both talked about of course our guy John Mattier uh said he's funny, said that he does a really good job of leading, very vocal, but they all said that he's uh, he's funny. Both smiled whenever he was mentioned, which I thought was pretty funny. How'd you feel about my tears comments? You know, of course everyone's comparing the Baker, you know, and he says, you know, you know, he appreciated other high praise. He's focused on being him and and and competing. What do you think about that? Because I know Baker Mayfield has recently made some comments about him as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in Baker's football camp, was this bad? Was this weekend? But yeah, you know he got a little good fellas there. Remind me and Joe Peshi when he says, what do you mean funny? Uh, you know, it's like, hey, I'm just busting your balls, you know whatever. But when they kept on saying him, hey, kept you know, they kept on bringing up and you know, it seems like he wanted to go take that out. But if you guys haven't seen he was talking about on the plane, uh, you know, to the to the SEC media days. They did some and I shared it with you. They were doing some quick hitters with Jim nagging, you know, asking him a bunch of questions, you like the Mountain, what's your screen time?
Speaker 2: What's your favorite movie?
Speaker 3: And you know he is he he is a guy that it seems like off on the side, he's all about the team. He wants to be entertaining. He wants to put on a show, and that that does sound like a lot of you know, really great quarterbacks want to put on the show, want to you know, want to be uh you know, want the attention. And so you know, if if the production follows with that, this is going to be somebody that people are going to love as a fan and then everybody else is going to hate because you know, people are going to be drawn to him. You know, he has you know, he has production. He just you know, came off of a forty four touchdown campaign and so people that question of can it happen in the SEC? That's the question around him is can you do these things in the SEC? Can you bring that production here? And you know, everybody points towards cam Moore and him going down the a SEC and just lighting it up and really you know, being the driving factor behind that team. And so if that production follows, then he's going to be one of those polarizing figures in the SEC and across the country.
Speaker 1: Exactly. He's got the opportunity to do that. So all right, let's talk about the preseason all SEC voting before we do that. Thank you out for pulling up hit that like buddon. If you new to the channel, subscribe, rate, review, give us five. Feel free to drop your questions in the comments. We will address those at the end of the show. I've been starring some as they come in and we'll talk about that in a bit. But preseason All All SEC as well as where the media at Oklahoma set So first off Preseason All SEC listing, you got our Mason as well as jayde and I at the second team and then Ben Anderson third team. He's been like always raved about as the long snap or whatnot. But I thought it was interesting and this is what we actually expected that I was gonna get start to get more and more attention. And it appears at the media that was there at SEC media days, they're they're all very high. I know the ESPN guys when I was chatting with them about it, they're like, dog, they think y'all got the most explosive back. Y'all may have the best back in the SEC. We seed to see him see him healthy. You gotta see him healthy. If he's healthy, he's probably the best one. I was like, fair point, Yeah, what you think who do you think got snubbed.
Speaker 3: I mean altogether, you just go through here and when you're looking through the team and I've got up here on the other screen, you look through, you know, you look through the team and you got you got some you know, some crazy names in here. I think that it's going to be it's going to be down to record. You know, right now the Leonora sellers as the number one. I think that John Mattier a lot of people are in that thought of you know, hey, listen, we're going to say prove it before we do anything. And let's be honest. This preseason, all preseason, you know, this talk season. This is just the opportunity for them to talk. And you're gonna want to be in the postseason. And that's the that's the that's the teams that you're gonna want to be on. Plus you you also want to uh get the get the you know, get.
Speaker 2: The records right.
Speaker 3: So uh you know, off o, you you know, I'd like to see I think Kip Lewis, you know, Jaden Jackson, you know obviously coming in as you know, a freshman All American last year, you know, he's only going to be better. I is a is a guy who I thought you might see in there. And also you know, I know that the way that they do the defensive backs, it's kind of four guys. You know, there's there's a rotation safety uh safety, and then you know.
Speaker 1: Just you for the voting is you pick eight dudes on eight DB's period and it's all like a combination of same d line. It's you pick just defensive linemen. It's edges and d linemen together, and then the secondary is basically just all dbs so include safeties or whatnot. So yeah, it's it's it's quirky the way it's done, but it's just all encompassing. You pick eight people and it's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, happy for our Mason, you know as far as like what he can do, you know, but I but I do you know, I think that this is you know, we were talking about superhero movies earlier today, and a lot of superhero movies they need they need the cast members who are going to be the complimentary cast members to go along with some of these stars. And you know, there's a lot of talk around you know it's crazy because you know, at the one side of my mouth, I say, it's like the you know, preseason, you need some of the preseason recognition in order to you know, loft yourself up in some of the national awards, you know, conversations because a lot of time guys are going to go back and you know a lot of these people don't watch the games. They they watched the box scores and they see those portions. So if you're a stat stuffer, you're gonna get a lot more recognition than someone who makes effective.
Speaker 2: Plays, you know, play in and play out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, Jade not let's let's let's let's dive into aught because you know, this is a guy who Jim Nagy uh you know, had eyeballs on before he even came to Oklahoma and that was a big get for him. Is because they needed, you know, we have needed a difference maker because I mean outside, I mean since Kennedy Brooks. You know, Eric Gray had himself one good year when he was the offense and that was it. But then you know, Kennedy Brooks was the last guy that you know, you just you know, really feel like he was going to you know, you knew what you were getting out of Kennedy Brooks. And so I think that you know, a lot of people were excited about Xavier Robinson and coming in the season, but if at can you know, be healthy, that's a guy who is you know, a first round you know, a first round, second round type of a running back.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's a guy who can do it all. He can block, he can you know, catch out of the backfield, and he can run the he can run the rocks. So you know, he is a guy that a lot of people are gonna have eyeballs on this season.
Speaker 1: He's one that's gonna be watched hardcore this year. He's won that a lot of people care about wanting to see what he turns into. Uh, just because of the promise you saw as a freshman and as a sophomore, I mean twenty you know, twenty one hundred yards or whatnot in those first two seasons, You're like, oh, he's gonna be another one of the power running backs. Remember, Calby produces some backs I mean from J. J. Arrington to Marshaan that like, we we're not gonna pretend like Kyl doesn't put backs out. That's that's that's what Kyle's known for doing. Find him California running backs and throw him on the field. They all seem to be really, really good. But yeah, I'm interested to see the health of or whatnot. Our Mason being second team that was expected. There's a lot of really good defensive linemen in the SEC this this season. I did. I was surprised about Robert Spears Jennings not getting looked at. He was one of the higher graded guys in the UH in the SEC last year as a safety, so I was actually thinking that if anybody was probably gonna get looked at, it was gonna be him. So that was really that was I'm gonna be honest, that was a pretty much shocker to me. I was like, oh, okay, that's what we're doing, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's going to be in a good rotation of safeties. You know, between him and Hardy, You've got Peyton, Bowen, Boganowski. There's gonna be a lot of different guys out there who are going to be able to do it. And so you know you don't have a guy, you know. I think that Billy Bowman was another one. You know, he he never came off the field last year and you could see it sometimes, you know, he would get tired and he would, you know, have one of those moments. But you know, I think that that's gonna be one thing that when you have a you know, you know you're four deep and you've even got you know, a lot of faith in some of the young pups. There's a lot of safeties, you know in this conference who who are going to be put to the test. I bet that there's going to be a good amount of running the run, the rushing yards by you know, I guess running backs in general over the past couple of years in the SEC has been relatively low because there's been a little bit more high flying attacks and so I think with so many new quarterbacks coming in, that's something that you're gonna see and so some of the safety numbers may be elevated a little bit more. And also when that comes is what happens is you've got to be able to to pivot pretty quick when it's play action. So, you know, the best safeties in this league are going to be the ones that are going to be able to, you know, be a supporter in the running game, but then also get into coverage and you know, not give up any of these big bombs down the field.
Speaker 1: It's a fair point. Don't know what y'all think. Hop in the comments, Definitely give us your thoughts, who you think got snubbed, who you think probably should have gotten a much bigger look. Definitely want to hear from y'all on that. Yeah, I know y'all arguing with that individual. I thank him for pulling up because all he does is make everybody engage with us. So just you know, if you're smart, you know exactly what the point is. And just you know, we don't. We don't. We don't acknowledge losers. So we move forward on from that next one. Preseason Poe was interesting to me though, Coop, So after you did the whole preseason oh you have yeah, I actually you agree with you sooner Cowboy Kip probably should have gotten a lot more recognition on there, but you know, yeah, so yeah, that's a crazy one, right, And Chuck, you're right Naggie with me when I chatted Wold Naggi about it till you mentioned that odd is healthy and that's the exciting part. And this offensive lines will be real good, really good us like old school. But yeah, preseason Poe, and it's funny because you're here in the national a lot of the lot of the media at the SEC. They were really everybody's intrigued by Oklahoma. They want to see the bounce back. They want to see if the bounce back actually happens. And you know, granted, I totally get it, because the bounce back is the most important thing. We want to see if the team, you know, fixes everything he needs to fix, Well, here we are. And when they did the polling, Oklahoma said it number ten, and but they got three votes to win the conference. What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Hey, you're right, You're right where you want to be. I guess you know, there's it is a show me It is a show me year. You got to get out there and get out there and do it this you know, this will be Oklahoma's going to be a team that you know, after five or six games, people are going to know, all right, So what are we looking at? Because you go out and you throw the offense and that's what it is. It's does the offensive line? Can they be better? And can the weapons around Matier allow them to have an identity on offense? And it's it's that And you know, I'm just going to go off of looking at production because there's no you know, John Matier has done it in a lower conference. He went out and he put the numbers up, he played the teams out in front of him. That was our buckle, and that was every single bit about it. You got to show up and you got to do what it's going to you know what what you can. I think that the offensive line, it's going to be the basic basic situation as it was last year, is if the offensive line can go out there and uh, you know, be a formidable crew, then this team is going to be hell to deal with because I think that the way the schedule breaks out is it is very very very favorable. Where the where the buys are, you know, getting getting l s U a home at the end of the season, you know that game could mean a lot, you know, for for for the conference. And so you also got to be healthy and listen, if you are one of the people who says, you know, we just got to stay healthy this year, we can't have a repeat of last year. That's never been That's never been a situation, you know in this team. I mean, I guess you could say maybe the nine season when you know Bradford goes down against byu Gresham gets hurt.
Speaker 2: You know, you you have the the.
Speaker 3: Landry Jones era begin you know that's maybe the last time. So I mean, what are we saying in twenty five years, You've had two seasons like that.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a year.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be years where if you know you have the health around it, it's going to be does the offensive line progress? And you know that none of the offensive line, you know Hopium, you know, coming from you know, coming from US is unfounded. You know, we talk to a lot of people and a lot of people are very excited about what this offensive line is going to be. And that's uh, that's you know, that's a situation where you know, you guys got like Ryan foj and you know Fasusi, those guys are pushing folks. You got Jacob Sexton up over three thirty. You know you saw, uh, you saw Troy Everett looks like he is absolutely stacked. So I think that this offensive line, I knows that this is a year for them to prove it, and they're going to go out and do it. And when your coaching staff is all on the same page, it's going to be it's going to be really nice, because that's another thing we're hearing is you know, with Latrell, God bless him and everything he does going forward, he just wasn't good at this and and so there is there's everybody's on the same page when it comes from the OC staff, the quarterbacks, wide receivers, the offensive line, all these coaches are all getting to get along and you're going to see that.
Speaker 1: Yep, You've got a lot of good stuff building this year. And that's the probably of the thing that puts a big time smile on my face. It's all you need, it is for everything to just start working out together. You don't, you don't And of course injuries. Injuries is the probably the biggest one. But if everything just falls into place barring alla Tho's I always talk about, I think we are solid LEAs. Thank you so much for the tim bucks. We appreciate super Chat. If you want to get an immediate response, drop a super Chat support the channel. We will be healthy, we will have a great year. Enjoy you guys who appreciate you. Let's Wilson, we appreciate you. We enjoy you being here and fighting with everybody in the common section. Y'all be out there getting it. I love it. I love the battle in there, and we're gonna make sure that we do what we can to make sure that, uh, you all have a place to go and get into those fights.
Speaker 3: So did you did you hear Brent vinibles did drop a competitive depth So if you got your drinks, do it. Uh he dropped a competitive depth in in the press conference, and the buzzword has uh has gone away now because I think that that's h that is in place. But I was pretty excited to him hear him at least drop one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah that that that was pretty good to hear him give us one of those. And I was like, oh, okay, there's a week ago. He understands that. And I mean that even goes in consideration of the as he talked about with how many young players we played last year, which is very much helpful. Yeah, you can't beat that. You can't beat that. We that we have a lot of young players and we're playing a lot of young players. And I've said this before, who this to me is? This is kind of how to me? BV kind of built this a little backwards instead of forward. Was the we're the players, we're playing at youth now should have probably been playing in the second season. That's where we should have been having the players that he wants, that this team wanted. You probably ticularly want to play a lot of those young and not a couple of years back when he first got here instead of basically refreshing after the twenty three season like he did. But hey, what he's building though, gets you in a direction that can help you to be competitive. And that's what leads us to this next conversation. Coop, who hm, how do I say this? Good lord? That is crazy anyway? Blue chip ratio. So Bud Elliott over by the fire, I start. I think you're pulling up. Hit the like button new two channce subscribe rate review give us five m Bud Elliott for CBS Sports two four seven rating site. Every year he puts together a list of the eighteen teams they can win a national championship, and the eighteen teams. He's picked that eighteen specifically because no one outside of the eighteen has ever made it into the playoffs in their playoff era. Well correction, he said four of them have, and the four that have made it anywhere, they've all gotten blown out but he's pointed out that when it comes to his blue chip ratio, the blue ship ratio base on two four to seven's ratings, these teams are the ones that are capable of winning. Last season, Oklahoma was on that list, they were like seventy four or something like that, seventy five. So injuries, of course, is the only reason why you don't get to move forward because you get hurt, can't do anything about it right off, right, Yeah, yeah, it's kind of hard to play when you're playing nothing but freshman. You don't win as championships with all freshmen. Basically in sophomores, it's no team does it usually as veterans. The older teams. Ohio State's an example of that, very much older. They lost a lot of players that they still got their top deventsive players. So they should have a really this year this season, and quarterback is critical. But this though blue chip ratio, it's kind of crazy, man. So these the top the top eighteen is here's the first nine. Guess who's number nine there?
Speaker 2: Coop, Oh, yes, you know it's.
Speaker 3: This is It was one of the teams that that lost Washington. That was I think Washington wasn't on the top of the blue chip Was it two years ago when they lost to Michigan that might have been one of the teams and then But yeah, I mean this this this is who you who you think it is. I mean this, this list is going to be the same probably next year. There's not there, you know it. It is still about the Jimmies and Joe's. You gotta have, uh, you gotta have the you know, the players, especially in key positions, and you know you also have to have the coaching and you have to I mean, let's be let's be honest. There has to be a little bit of luck in here too, has getting through the entire season. You know, somebody gets rolled up on in the second to last week, and if you don't have quality depth behind them, you know that that's tough. But also, you know, you take a starter who is a guy who's headed for the league, and if he tweaks his ankle and he's been able to come back two weeks later, you know, that's lucky. If it's six weeks later, that's that's unlucky. So you know, you being on this one obviously doesn't surprise me. You know, oh, he's been you know recruiting at a high clip for a long time. And you know this this you're gonna pick your You know, most of the playoffs teams are going to be right out of this group.
Speaker 1: These are the ones. And as we know, feel Still who makes one of the football Bibles that I read every year and make share order. He has Oklahoma as his ninth best team and actually must see something because of course I had it right in front of me. I keep it with me at all times. This is, you know, one of my favorite things to read through, and this is how I keep up with the teams, look at who's who and try to get an understanding of what. Let me see he has. As I look at this here in his top nine, only one team is swapped in and out from what Phil still has in his top four preseason top forty teams. And that's no Penn States on here. But everybody has Penn State as the number one team in the country, which I always think was funny. But Penn State's number ten on the list. They make top nine, but they're number ten. And in his top ten, Phil still has doesn't have LSU, but LSU is one that should be listed on there. But LSU is a top nine team in the blue chip ratio. But I thought that was fascinating because it goes all the way down fifty four percent down to Florida State. Typically, your team that wins it is usually in the seventies. I think it's like seventy and up. The only one in all of them that has won it that has not been in the seventies was Michigan. Two years ago. Michigan was fifty four in their blue chip ratio. And the one thing we know about Michigan is they get a ton of recruits. At least they have over the years. That has kind of changed as of late. They've been winning a lot, spending a lot of that money, but their blue Ship ratio is not as high as you think. They're just over the physical dude. They get the right dudes to push people around. I think Oklahoma's going that direction as well.
Speaker 2: It's yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean when you see you see teams like Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, those guys. The difference between them and Ohio State just in general is the fact that Ohio State throws some skill out there too. Because those teams up there are always going to get great athletes.
Speaker 2: It's on the.
Speaker 3: Defense of an offensive line. Michigan's always going to have great running backs. They're always going to able to run the ball.
Speaker 2: And you know with J. J.
Speaker 3: McCarthy, uh, you know, he had a good amount of wide receivers. And what's crazy is there's a lot of my you know, Michigan wide receivers in the league, you know, a lot more than some teams who like to run their mouth quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But you know there's there's uh there, there's the skill in you know, all the key spots. Michigan also does really good at tight ends and so you know, it's it. It does kind of shocked me that there's not more I guess what you would say, there's not more success up there in Michigan. You know, Ohio State has had you know, has a recent national championship too, but you know, for the longest time, you know that they were kind of the same thing as you know, Oklahoma's getting to uh you know, going going all the way and then getting getting dealt by an SEC team was always always a thing that Ohio State was having trouble too. And so now with the you know, you got some money to throw around it's it's more you know, I guess, I guess all all all uh, all is fair. Now you throw the money out, you get you know, you get a player here there. Underwood is going to be a big time player if he can keep the weight down and you know you can put some you know, put some folks around him too.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, they they've got that opportunity out there. You know that.
Speaker 3: You know there's always gonna be the asterisks on Michigan's national championship with the old uh the old spygate situation and and so you know they they're gonna want to get back up there.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you got to have you got to have the guys, because let's just go.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you've got five offensive linemen who are just really really good and you get into a you know, winner take all type of a game, you know you can play well as a unit and you're still going to give up your fair share. And when you're playing guys with you know, when you're playing guys who are going to be first round draft picks, second round draft picks. You know, Perennial, all Americans are not all Americans, but Pro bowlers in the NFL I mean, you're going to have to stack up, and so it's you know, the only team that you see you throw a Texas A and m up there and they continue to have that blue chip piece. You got to also have those guys who are super super high rated across all the boards and they want to continue to get better day in and day out, because it makes it. I mean, it makes no difference if you're a five star coming out of high school and you the moment you step onto a field in college, everybody that gap closed significantly. And if you don't continue to work, you know, you get the whole adage of the hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Speaker 2: So you've got to have the.
Speaker 3: Coaching in there, and you've got to have the desire from from these blue chippers, because if they're not all in and it's all not all one mindset, then you know, your rating really doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: One band, one sound, Yeah no, that's a no. You're right, it means nothing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if if I am out or if JA bounced, I still see a recording here, so uh drop into the comments. If it's just me here working, Uh to forgive me something in the chat. Let me know if if that was Jay who disappeared, and it is Jay that disappeared. But but yeah, one of the big things about you know that it was weird. Hey there you go, all right, I was.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was me some reason. It hit me with the hit me with the for some reason, it hit me with the do you want to leave? I'm like, why would I want to leave? All I'm doing is showing off something and then all of a sudden, I guess it. I guess it decided what to close itself. So that was weird. My bad, y'all. I must have clicked the button while I was over here prepping stuff. Let me get back to this what I was actually talking about. Gotta love tech, right, That's my favorite thing about technology is that I always got some weird stuff populating. Anyway, back to my whole point on this is a lot of these teams. It's funny when you look at it, how many teams end up with seventy plus on the blue chip ratio piece and it just still doesn't lead to a championship. Perfect example. I mean, like, look at Oregon, right, Oregon's won. I think they're like consistently always up there, especially over the last what ten years? Fifteen years? Right, they've been to a national championship. I think they actually been to a couple. I know they played Auburn when Cam was there. Didn't they play a second one?
Speaker 3: Do they remember the Florida Mariota? Was that the marioda year?
Speaker 2: Did they?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Mariota lost to Florida State too, So I lost the Auburn and he lows the Florida State. So they actually they they've played Was it Auburn that year? Wasn't it Auburn a year?
Speaker 2: Who? Who did?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: Did Cardele Jones come in?
Speaker 1: And is the year that Ohio State I'll say won that one when when Cardale played.
Speaker 3: Because they lost quarterback right in the last game. Then they lost one in the Big Ten Championship or no, they lost two right at the end Big Ten Championship. I think Cardill Jones came in and went went hard as you know what against Wisconsin that was like a seventy or something game, and then they came out that was Bama.
Speaker 2: I beat Bama, the babat Bama.
Speaker 1: That was a Bama. The Oregon Auburn, they played Auburn, They played Auburn and they lost twenty two to nineteen to Cam Newton. That was the Cam Newton year. That's what that was, BCS. That was the BCS one actually when Cam carried that team by himself to win the Natty. But yeah, I thought that was it. That that's anyway Oregon is consistently on that number. Is my point. That you look at that, that that number there, and it's like Organ's always up there magically. But they had they don't have no titles. They have zero national championships. And Florida State beat Auburn in the title game that year, and that was the BCS Natty. Could have sworn Oregon went another time. I don't know how they did. They lost Ohio State, So you're right, yeah, that was one. That's what I was crazy about. Remember was it Auburn? Yeah, so you're right it was Cardile that Cardile Jones game. That was Oregon. So I was all over the place. My bad, y'all. They beat Florida State in the first round of the CFP. So that's where I completely missed what you were saying. That's my bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the the I mean, but you look at it, I mean, you got to get through your conference first and foremost. I mean that's been Texas's issue. Texas out recruited Oklahoma, I would say since the Stoops era, since two thousand, since we're just going through a time. I mean, Texas out recruited Oklahoma. I would say, all but maybe one or two years, and they had four conference championships to show for it. You know, they couldn't it past Oklahoma. And so this is an indicator, this Samet, This isn't the gospel, though, This is an indicator that you've got to have that, you know, because you can't run it there. You know, it's just hard for you to make it through a major conference schedule and then now making it through the playoffs.
Speaker 2: You're going to try and try to make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: I mean, eventually the talent's going to overwhelm and you know it's it's not it's not Hollywood. You're gonna have to have some of the dudes in there too.
Speaker 1: No, That's that's true and a very much fair point. You gotta have the right players to be able to do it. Uh. Now, they did do a blue chip ratio that included uh I did put your comment up last bricked up was pretty funny. I thought, I was hilarious. I had to put it on there, but I did look and look at the what's this the transfer one because they did it with transfer So that number that I showed y'all was only high school recruits had no did not include a single transfer. But this is the transfer rate and Oklahoma's rated at light number twelve if you include transfers fifty six percent, so they're at that michigan ish number. They're them in Clemson with Florida right there above them because of the number of the transfers that they brought in. So I thought that was also interesting because you know, when you really look at a lot of your transfers are players that were not rated very high, but they were really good, and then they move up from whatever program they were to you know, a more elite programm in comparison, an opportunity to play. So I thought that was really interesting too. It was I thought that was interesting. But it's a good question will they leading in the run game. I do believe we will have a heavy, heavy, heavy run game this year, especially because Mati is a runner. I mean, he throws very well, but he's a runner too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know you're running games going to open up a lot with MATERI what did he weigh in at twenty was it two twenty one or two twenty five? Like, you know, he you know he is You could tell, you know, when he was standing up next to a couple different guys.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy is thicker.
Speaker 3: He had to put on a little bit extra muscle because you know, I don't think that you can really you may be able to stuff the stats, but you know, I don't think Materier is gonna be running for like a thousand yards or anything like that. Like I think that you know, a good spot for him to be is around the four hundred yards. You know he's gonna want to take it off and that's you know, there's there's difference in you know, uh, you know, designed runs and just scramble drill to where he's getting out and getting getting out there and going.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you got to.
Speaker 3: You got to go back to last year. You know, made the comment earlier than the spring. I think the offense was having a lot of success, a lot more than the defense expected for them to have, right, you know, with a with a brand new offensive system, new quarterback and everything, and so you know that's uh, there was there was success last spring, but it was not a situation to where you know, the defense was getting beat. I think there were a lot of favorable situations that the coaching staff kind of allowed some success to happen. And that's a that's a tough place to go. But you know, I think that with the running game this year, I think that when you have a Jade not Jeometier, you have an Xavier Robinson, and then you still have Taylor Tatum and you still have Javante Barnes.
Speaker 2: Those are guys who.
Speaker 3: Are you You're going to be able to run and you also you get a chance to have uh, you know, leads and you're gonna be running a lot more.
Speaker 1: That's what's most important. If you have a lot more leads, you'll be able to just eat clock, eat eat clock, eat clock, eat eat clock, which is critical. Got any questions, feel free to drop them. Super chats are always looked at first. Think pulling up hit the like button. New to the Chalnce subscribe rate review, give us five. Iron Smith asked a question, Yes, Michigan has done it, but what other team did it too? When I look back on the blue chit ratio, I don't remember I remember seeing anybody that was under seventy percent keeping it a buck. Probably the closest one was probably because I think they've started really they started this back and when CFP started, so you had none of the teams that won the Natty since the Copsaboule Playoffs has started has won it outside of Michigan with you know, fifty something percent Before that, I think that Auburn team with Cam was probably the only one, uh because that team had I think one offensive lineman that took some snaps in the NFL, but they didn't really have anybody go to the pros that that offense was literally Cam Newton and the Pips. I can't think of. There's like nobody else that I can think of there. Michigan is the only one that has done it. And again that was because they are a overly physical squad. They were a squad that would just beat the crap at everybody.
Speaker 3: So I look at her here. I would maybe wonder about the first Clemson National championship. Maybe that might have been one because at that point they weren't really you know, recruiting like crazy at that point, I have to probably go back.
Speaker 1: And see what that was.
Speaker 2: What year was that sixteen sixteen?
Speaker 1: Let me lookt the twenty fifteen class. Twenty fifteen Clemson class was top nine twenty fourteen Clemson class, and they were number nine in the country in fifteen. In fourteen they were sixteenth with ten four stars in that class, and then we'll go to thirteen. So we'll do the first three classes just to be fair. Here they were fifteenth with ten more.
Speaker 2: So that's still pretty good. I mean, that's still pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's still pretty high, right, it's still pretty darn high. But Michigan was up there as well, but they didn't They had a lot of they had a lot of three stars on their rosters. Clemson was twenty when you go back to twenty twelve, twenty ten four ten three stars. So yeah, that's a good question. They may have been one.
Speaker 2: Maybe they may have.
Speaker 1: I have to go back and count and look through the entire roster and see. But sixteen was a big class for them. One five, eleven, four stars, eight three stars, and that team was really good.
Speaker 3: I see the TVO year of Florida. I mean, back then, Florida was absolutely dealing. So I would say that that was probably a really good because I remember that national championship. I mean there were I know that OU alone had what was it for first rounders that year? Tebow went at the end to the Broncos. Still, I still remember where I was. I was sitting next to al ashback when that when that happened at the bar in Norman, and I just remember being pissed. But yeah, I would, I would probably. Man, just looking through here, I just don't see because you got a lot of Alabama's, Florida, LSU Florida, you know, Southern Cali. You get back into the two thousands, and I mean, yeah, ever single one of those teams were good and they're right and we're good for a while.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they would. I don't know if there is another team in there that did it.
Speaker 1: Nope. So Jonathan, Yes, TCU made it to the title game. I think there were four teams that were outside of the top eighteen in blue chip ratio that has made it. All four of them are zero to four in winning making it. Yeah, winning it not so much. The only one that's won it it's been outside of the seventies was Michigan that I've calculated. Uh, this Clemson team was they I think they were pretty stacked actually with Watson and then Trevor Lawrence the number one player the next year, uh so went they went to the title game back to back years with Watson at quarterback, and then Kelly Bryant year was not you know, the best, and then Trevor Lawrence walks in there and they go undefeated as a true freshman.
Speaker 3: And I think that Trevor Lawrence is still looking for that magic from that year.
Speaker 1: I mean shooting and he's in Jacksonville. There's nothing you can do about. Oh, he's definitely A. He's definitely a you definitely, he definitely uh is A is a product of his environment. And I love the A lot of people point out the Materia playing out West. I mean, as as pointed out, Jackson Dark was playing out there in the pack. Matier played in the pack when they had all their teams and then when they didn't have their teams too. He had some snaps behind cam Ward a few times. Yeah. So yeah, it's you know, we'll see what Materier decides to turn into. He has the opportunity to prove and shut a lot of people up, and I hope he does. We know he's working. That's the only thing I know I'm concerned about is that we know that he is.
Speaker 2: Working and the team.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing is the team believes in him, and not just not just the offensive side of the ball, not just the coaches. I mean you can tell the difference. They talk about it differently, so that you know, if anybody is wondering if John Matier is going to come in here and be similar to what we had last year, I mean, that's just that's nonsense. Now if you say I'm you know, I'm a waiting see mode. You don't have to have Jo Matier be a Heisman winning quarterback this year. You just don't you need him to make decisions. How many games did we you know, you look back at the Tennessee game last year, you know, are we in that game at the end if it's not for handing the ball back over play after play? You know, defense does a good job. And so it kind of leads to the question of I don't know if you saw it, Jay, somebody said, do we think the defense will be.
Speaker 2: Be better or as good as it was last year?
Speaker 1: Hmm. Yeah. We've talked about this defense should be better, better in in overall numbers, mainly because the offense is gonna allow for them to do that.
Speaker 3: I can, I mean, I can kind of go both ways on this one. I think that And I was sharing this with with somebody the other day. Things I want to see is the edge rush. The edge rush has been something that from both sides to the field. You know, have we had a you know, when's the last time we had really good, you know, edge rushers on both sides. You know, you go back quite a ways, you know, to where your defensive ends were guys that were just you know, just bawling out. Because I think that up the middle, you're going to be better than you were last year. I think David Stone is going to be better than what we were able to throw out there. With some of the losses the past couple of years. You still have Don Williams, you still have Jaden Jackson, you still have g Baby. Those guys are going to continue to do what they do. If you can pair our Mason with a Marvin Jones Junior, a Danny Akoye, Taylor Wine, guys like that, it is going to it is going to be good. The things that I think that separate us from a top five capable defense is what does our zone coverage look like?
Speaker 2: What does our edge rushers look like?
Speaker 3: And then the healthy defensive backs, because if you get a healthy Gentry for ten games.
Speaker 1: Gentry healthy and and as we're hearing he's under he is, a healthy Gentry is going to be a nasty Gentry, period very much.
Speaker 3: This is his livelihood on the line right now, so he is going to do everything. And Gentry's injury last year was basically.
Speaker 2: They they fixed.
Speaker 3: The wrong thing going into the year last year, and now they got it fixed.
Speaker 2: So he he's tired of the talk. He said it.
Speaker 3: You know, he's tired of hearing it from inside the ever Center. He's tired of hearing it from everywhere. And he knows that this is his this is his final year. But Jay, I think that with the offense, if you can do a great complimentary football, you know, your defense coming in and after a quick strike touchdown is a little bit more pumped up than after a three and out. And if you compare, you compare, you know, a good pass rush, you can mix in the zone coverage and you can you know have a healthy gentry in eli. I mean, this is it's a top five defense. I have zero doubt in my mind that this is that's what can happen.
Speaker 1: What I love is that this is really showing you a continuation of what BV has done just as a coach and his defensive coordinator in his career. Like when you go look at the numbers, every year his defenses get better and better, and lemon, thank you for pointing this out. The real question is who's the leader with the loss of stuts, Who's going to be the dude that steps up? And I'm gonna be honest, man, it feels like it's probably Kip for the linebacker room with a lot of Kobe McKenzie barking orders, because he barked orders this past season. You know, I've mentioned that before. That's the one thing that impressed me to most about him and got me excited is that he was barking orders the entire time. But then you go, besides that secondary wise, nobilly, but you got Robert Spears Jennings and Peyton Bowen. I think Robert Spears Jings is your de facto leader there. He's the one who's going to bark all the orders out at everybody and say, hey, get your ish together and call everything out, which is to me, what Yeah, that's the thing that gets me going.
Speaker 2: And you know Barbara Jones Jr.
Speaker 3: Is I mean, that's that's he's one of the oldest dudes on the team. I mean, this is a guy who was a five star, you know, was almost in Oklahoma commit before Lincoln bailed that guy. He knows what he's playing for too, and he knows that his draft stock will continue to soar if this defense.
Speaker 2: Plays really, really well.
Speaker 3: So you've got our Mason MJJ, he got the two linebackers. I bet you this Gentry is more of a show me. He's going to get out there, but he gets a game or two under his belt, and he's going to be one of the vocal leaders too.
Speaker 1: Yep, gentry should be. Gentry should be. But you've got a lot of You've got a lot of You've got you've got a lot of options when it comes to those that want to be vocal. But they've already all said that communication is critical for them. So our Mason Thomas said it. You had Robert Spiers Jenning say it, right, So we know the linebacker room is going to be very vocal because that's the most important room in a Brent Ventible's defense is how the linebackers play. And I think that's what's gonna be interesting in having three linebacker coaches, which I'm so glad that BV did that. He talked about having new coaches at slipping huge to have three, not one, but three linebacker coaches this season, Cooper, that's gonna be probably your game change is difference. So so I'm looking at this. I pulled up the numbers on it. So when BV got to Clemson left Oklahoma, we had an SP plus defense and defense efficiency of four ten, defect was at six, discrs was at four. He goes to Clinton in twenty twelve, their defense is fifty fourth ranked, inefficiency fifty fourth to forty fourth, and NSP plus defense fifty eighth, average of about fifty season two moves up to nine twenty eighth range or whatnot. Third year they were the number one defense in the country inefficiency. The year after that, in fifteen, they were number two twenty one FP plus, but they were number two in efficiency, which for this team. Now we passed the third year, the defense was ranked in the top fifteen inefficiency overall ten. I think the number ten at ESPN's efficiency, fifteenth in around the sp plus and a lot of the other metrics. I think d score had them at ten. But you had no offense. So of course defense is doing all the work. Year after he goes to number two and it's consistent, and that's when they had a quarterback replacement. That's when you did had Kelly going out there. Actually you get Deshaun Watson's first year going. Then the next year Watson gets going, and it's just maintaining defense. Defense, defense, that's where we're going. We should be able to have a top five defense at the end of the season. It's no excuse we won't. We're only playing two turning quarterbacks. Next year, next season in twenty six, it's gonna be different because you're gonna have a lot of people come back. But yeah, this year, yeah, it should be much better than that. Capacity should be should be potentially that. So I'm here for it. Man. The blue shit ratio says we have a chance, So I say we have a chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know there's questions about the safety is going in there, I don't know this is the last thing before we h letter back you back to their lives. But I'll tell you one thing is you're you're already starting to see the safety room with I mean, I think that Robert spe Jennings is only the defact He's the only de facto starter at this point in the safety room. I think that there will be a lot of guys that play between Hardy and Powers and Peyton Bowen. But you know, Peyton Bowen has I mean, he's got a ton to prove this year because he has had you know, the Nixon bruises here and there, He's had a lot of you know, it's safe to say that we've all expected a lot more out of Peyton Bowen than we've seen at this point. And because a lot of the same, a lot of the the oh wows have been in spring training and fall camps and stuff like that. So you know, he's, uh, he is getting He's getting pushed right now, bye by both Hardy and Powers. Powers is playing a lot. Powers is proving himself to be a person that they're going to make it hard to keep him off the field.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Boganowski is still Boganowski can he can he put the the brains behind uh, you know, the athletic ability and get out there and do that. It's going to be a lot of fun watching that safety room because you know that's where Bv's wanted it is. You've got different different guys with you know, different peak skill sets. You know, you look at you know, the cheetah position between Oma Sego, you get uh guys like you know, uh I just said powers and then you have Kendall Dolby, who you know just was one of the uh just was the most uh you know, uh I guess team coveted defenders two years ago and we saw what he was before he went down versus Tennessee last year.
Speaker 1: Exact.
Speaker 3: This team's finally got to a spot to where you've got so many different guys that you know, when you rotate healthy, fresh bodies out there, you don't miss a beat and there's going to be a lot of creativity happening, and not only on the defense, but you know that circling back. Jay Jeometiers said that they put a bunch of new offense in that they didn't expect to put in the playbook also, so we went from dumbing down in offense for the Pups to get through last year to installing more and more offense earlier than they expected to at this point in the off season.
Speaker 1: Yep, Mar's good question. Here is a transfer portal closed to next year, so it's a little weird. Let me explain. So the general transfer portal, yes, is closed until next season, the general one. But and I'm saying this, but specifically the when the settlement went down July first, in every thing was signed mid July, there was a I think it was a thirty day window. Let me see, let me look real quick. I want to make sure I'm.
Speaker 3: Right, because you always have the situation where if a coach bails, then you got where they get fired.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I was right. So there is. So there's a designated UH student athlete rule that comes from the settlement that went an affect July seventh, and it closed August. Closes August fifth, so that window is open right now. What that window was created for was for those situations where teams were cutting players because they had to get underneath that one oh five number before July first. But those key are considered grandfathered in because the judge said the students did not deserve to lose their spots just because of the settlement there they used. This should be phased out instead of an instant cutoff, so any of those kids that want to return can And so there's a one time transfer window that opened July seven through opportite. If that's why you're starting to see some kids enter the portal. If the kid is marked as a designated student, the team has that mark them as that, then they can go ahead and get back in the portal and go somewhere else. For example, we had some players that entered the portal, but they came back. We actually have some kids come back over the last weeks. Last week or so, when we looked at the roster, me and Coop went through it. You got some like some guys in the secondary like Jocelyn Malaska, the big corner that came here from Utah. He's back on the most recent roster, so he did not leave. Let me go see when I looked at this portal stuff, let me see who else entered the portal. I'm still I'm actually surprised that Gabees, Gabe Salchuck is still here. Not gonna lie, did not I kind of expected did not expect him to be sticking around. But you know, Gavin goes to Florida State, he sticks around.
Speaker 2: Which is it Donald? Was he another one that was?
Speaker 1: I think? So, I don't know if he came back. I did not see him on Uh uh, I didn't see him on the roster. But let me go look real quick. I will pull that up right now because I'm actually curious if he is there. But you did have some kids that showed up, so it was weird. It's like I said, it's been weird looking at it that way. But yeah, you got a lot of players that came I looked on and I was like, wait, why is he still on the rock? Eh? It was the designated deal so uh yeah, im Alaska's back. Read du Quasi the dB that was here from Carl Albert. He played quarterback at Carlid before you hurt. He's back on the roster. It was very interesting to see a lot of these players that actually made a return.
Speaker 3: So yeah, nothing, I would say, you know, bless all of them for being here. And but uh, you know, I don't think that we're gonna see any any names that names of note to be heading out or heading back.
Speaker 2: In at this.
Speaker 3: Point, it is, uh, you know we can we can put that one to bed for right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really it. But you also got your freshmans that have pulled up. You've got CJ. Nixon as well as Marcus James on the defensive side of the ball. So you're getting a little bit deeper on that one. So all right, Uh, no more questions. We're gonna be out. We're gonna go to wrap this bad boy up. Put the bone, get up out of this place. Thank y'all. As usual, pulling up it they like button. If you move to the channel, subscribe, rate review, give us five, and we're back. Next Sunday, we'll do our sec stuff. We'll talk about and we'll talk about who we thinks, you know, where we rank them and who's good and prepare ourselves for the actual season because fall camp comes. For the question that might ask us, I've got to answer it. Fall camps in like a week and a half and two actually two weeks, we'll say two weeks to be safe. Fall camps in two weeks and then ay, talk season's over. Yeah, have a good night, Happy Sunday. Perch