Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, five o'clock on a Friday, or at least close to it, five oh eight. Very late start here for us in the third hour. But that's okay. We'll make the most of the time we have left because once the show ends today, I'm out for a week. I'm on vacation next week, and I don't really know what our plans are as far as what you'll have without me, but just know I.
Speaker 3: Heard we're getting mister Benetti Monday and Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Okay, good good. I love now that. Like, so I'll still be here. There's there's usual Well that's great.
Speaker 2: Usually there is, uh, you know, there's a lot of back and forth about you know, what the plans are whenever I'm not here because for a while we've just been in a position to where there really hasn't been you know, we don't really have we have a lot of bodies, you know, it's soeting somebody to come in and sit here and fill in. It's just one We wouldn't just let anybody do it. But also, you know, as far as our staff. We just don't have a lot of people that are available to do it. So it used to be kind of stressful getting ready for vacation, having to, like cause even even if I had no like, for example, I didn't even know we had Tony filling in for a couple of days, which, honestly, you know, I'm glad to hear that, but I've had I've had no involvement, and that's the way it should be, right, Like, let me go on vacation and you guys worry about it, which they're doing, which is great. But yeah, even though I'm not involved, like I'm still gonna be at time's thinking like, well, I hope, I hope the show's in good shape just because I'm a warrior. That's that's my nature. So enjoy the week without me. I know you'll miss me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, I already know that you're going to tune in when you're somewhere on the beach. Let me see how coffee and companies do when you're just gonna hear ember flames and then you're gonna hear Gus yelling, and then Tony like apologizing for something, and then just somehow.
Speaker 2: D White's involved and it's weird. Yeah, I could see it. Yeah, And I'll just be here just being chick yep, just trying to you know, trying.
Speaker 4: To get by.
Speaker 2: So I'll be out for a week back the following week. It'll set up nice because it'll be right in time for the National Championship game, and who knows who it's going to be playing, but we do know who is at least advanced to the elite ad. After last night, we had a it would ended up being a blowout, but a really entertaining game because Alabama was on fire. Twenty five to three pointers made broke a record, and that version of Bama nobody's beating them. And that don't just mean twenty five threes, but like I think they could have made eighteen threes and it would be tough to beat them when they're playing that well. I mean, they were efficient, and they weren't great defensively, and they just aren't in general. But they also played a team that you know, is one of the best offenses in the country. So that's why Bama is a head scratcher for me, because they're a victim of their own offensive success. They know they don't have to prioritize defense because they could score with anybody. Now sometimes it's bit them and they've just laid an egg. But when you play good teams that you know, last night the worry was that b may just be hot enough to match them. Well, no, BYU, just try to do the same thing. BYU is a very mild version of what Alabama is. And that's how it played out. Second game Maryland, they fought hard for in the first half but got away from in the second half. Is Florida moves on. Maryland season ends, and maybe Kevin Willard's time in Maryland has come to it. And we'll get to that in just a second. But obviously, what an unusual last week or so it's been for Kevin Willard at Maryland and.
Speaker 4: Then the later games Arizona.
Speaker 2: I thought if I was an Arizona fan, I wouldn't be happy today because you know, sucks when it's over. But I thought they competed and they just ran in like I didn't think that Arizona looked fraudulent or man, they played awful. They just played a duke team that's really good and they're playing really well right now. And I don't think they're gonna be easy to beat. And I'm loving the idea of seeing potentially a Florida Duke national championship game.
Speaker 4: Others may have something to say.
Speaker 2: About that, but Duke's playing really well, and so is this Florida team. And then of course Caliperry crumbles, and it was It was a beautiful thing to see.
Speaker 4: It really was.
Speaker 2: And one thing I've mentioned here and there throughout the show today is that when Cal got it rolling at the end of the season, well he didn't really, and in fact he was. I was surprised they got a ten seed, really, but the SEC got a lot of seeds and a lot of teams in and you know, makes sense. But when he beat Bill self and then he beat Patino and he became I think the biggest storyline of the Sweet sixteen, Kentucky fans, at least some of them, well, all good for him, you know, I'm happy for him. Maybe they wouldn't go that far to say they're happy for him, but they would say, you know, oh yeah, good for him.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm glad. We're happy over here.
Speaker 2: Like it worked out better for everybody, see, like we get you know, everything's fine, but like deep down, you didn't want to see him in the sweet sixteen. You know that when you woke up Sunday after he'd already punched his ticket to the second weekend, you knew that, like, oh, this would be a really bad look. It wouldn't really say anything about our coach of the future. But man, if they go to the Sweet sixteen in the first year with cal and we don't with Pope again, has nothing to do with the future, but like it's it's something you clearly want to avoid because that's your ex. You got divorced, and you want to be winning the breakup. And Kentucky won the breakup in the regular season in every way as far as just being a lot better than Arkansas, But could you really feel that way when they beat you when they weren't good at one in five in the SEC And if they would have gone to the sweet sixteen and you didn't, like I think you know the wild world of college basketball as far as how we view it, I think despite knowing you were a better team, I think you'd have to say they won the breakup. Now again, you avoided that because you did make the Sweet sixteen, and now they've lost and I'm sure, most Kentucky fans are very happy, feeling much more loose and relaxed today, and now they're going to see if they can get it done tonight. But real quick, just back to the Caliperry crumbling. I mean, it's his x's and o's clearly are his weakness as a coach. He is so good at other things that he's been able to have a lot of success.
Speaker 4: He's a Hall of.
Speaker 2: Famer, and he's probably not the worst when it comes to sexas and o's, but man, last night was a good reminder of how bad he is. And anytime you think of Kentucky or even Arkansas for that matter, being really successful Memphis go back to UMass. When his teams are at their best, there's rarely things you can point to when it comes to strategy or plays or style that's like, Wow, this guy's really really good. You just realize that he's got really good players and they're playing really well and they're confident. So he's been able to be super successful and really for the most part, not hide his weakness of x's and o's, but clearly still be really good despite him falling short in that category. He's a really good recruiter, no doubt about that. Clearly a good leader, I think when it comes to coaching and developing I don't think developing players when it comes to like, wow, this guy couldn't use his.
Speaker 4: Left hand, but Manny went.
Speaker 2: He went with like the whole member the camp cal thing where they would he'd you know, I mean cal used to kind of either lean into it or just have no self awareness. Remember when he would talk about the tweak with a tweak, of course they're smiling and practice like the tweak. I mean again, he either had no self awareness that like.
Speaker 3: The fans bought it though, or he was.
Speaker 2: Playing a joke on himself and leaning into it because nobody they're just started playing better, like they didn't do anything different, there's no tweak, And all I do was bring more attention to when you watch them play like, there's really not a whole lot of you know, deep strategy to it. So he's always going to be dangerous because he's always going to one bring in talent, rather it be the portal now or from the freshman ranks, and he will he I think we'll get the young guys better prepared to perform in college than any other coach, and I was very careful with my words there, because what I'm saying is that he will like when he babies them in press conferences, Oh, they're young, they're young, and then all the fans think of.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about, dude, you chose to be young. You can't use that as an excuse.
Speaker 2: I think he does that just to piss fans off, because he likes doing that, likes pushing buttons. But I think behind the scenes he doesn't baby them. I mean he says things like, you know, we can't hide you here. I think that's a real thing that he instills in them from day one, that like, doesn't matter that you're eighteen, you've got to play.
Speaker 4: This is what we do here.
Speaker 2: And they take lumps early, they look like freshmen early, but usually by the end of February March. I mean, they're, as the saying goes, not freshmen anymore, and they're showing why they were five star recruits that are believed to be, you know, lottery picks. So I don't see that changing. And with that, he'll always be dangerous like he was in the first weekend. But the guy hasn't won a second championship. And you've got to think about all the great teams he had where it was right in front of them and he couldn't He couldn't get it done because he would lose to coaches who we don't think are great. He'd lose to teams that you think, how the help they beat that Kentucky team, And all falls back to his inability to end games, strategize and scheme and not to you know, say something that makes it seem like I'm connected to.
Speaker 4: Coaches at a high level. I'm not.
Speaker 2: But like I know enough to know that coaches behind the scenes, like they respect cal in a way that like, yeah, he's he gets it done. He's gonna put a team on the floor that I know more often than not, I'm not going to have the edge when it comes to talent. But like they all just talk about like they don't do anything, Like they don't, they don't like there's not a.
Speaker 4: Whole lot to it.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of structure. It's just you know, really talented players, you know, taking turns. I mean not to not to make it sound so simple, but like and not that it's that way every play, but like a lot of what a lot of you know, the foundation of Kentucky offensively and even Deepen is just hey, we got better talent, let's just go show it. I mean, not to not to take a complete left turn here, but like remember Kenny Payne, look who he learned from. And look Kenny Payne tried to do and he you know, he doesn't have the ability to you know, like do anything that Cal can do.
Speaker 4: That's a good thing.
Speaker 2: He just tried to utilize the thing that Cal's bad at and he brought it here and didn't do all the good things. So you know, anyways, but it was wild to see a sixteen point lead disappear. I mean they actually were up six with one minute and fifteen seconds left. I mean it was the careless turnover that Billy Richmond had that led to a Texas Tech bucket and then they got an offensive rebound. DJ Wagner jacks up a quick three pointer when he is not a good shooter, misses that. Jenelle Davis got tied up for that jump ball, which led to uh Texas tag getting PSS.
Speaker 4: So I mean.
Speaker 2: A masterclass of Cal not handling late game situations well when it comes to decisions and just strategy, and those are two different things. By the way, decisions you know, like the fouling are not fouling those kind of things, like that's a decision. That's a stance that coaches have. Some are different than others. But then strategy is like, okay, situational here we are, let's do this. We've got six options here because we practiced this, we knew we were going to be in this late. And I don't want to act like the guy has never picked up a clipboard, but like there's I mean, last night really screamed.
Speaker 4: We don't really have a plan.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll talk more about tonight's games in just a second, but real quick, Kevin Willard, I mean last night seeing Maryland go down the way they did, and just everything about it, like he got booed when he was walking to the bus from the hotel, like his fans hate him, which I I tried to put myself in their shoes last night as far as like if I was a fan of this team and this was happening, Like how would I deal with it? Because you've got such a distraction, You're in turmoil, and yet you're playing in the Sweet sixteen for the second time in twenty five years, like it should be a good day, and there's just like there's so much uncertainty, Like it was such an unusual thing that.
Speaker 4: I couldn't relate.
Speaker 2: But I thought, Okay, if in fact, if in fact this was Louisville and this was playing out, one thing that would hit me in the fields more than anything was just the realization that with and this is not a surprise, but I think the Maryland and Willard situation just gives you another reminder that this is all transactional, all of it. Like Kevin Willard, he coached at Maryland. He knows he can stay at Maryland and get a you know, sign a contract that's going to make him one of the top ten paid coaches in the country, or he can go to Villanova and be another you know, and clearly, you know, like he's he's not connect he's not connected to Maryland fans. He's not worried about like anything with Maryland, because again, it's all transactional, and with coaches it always really has been. For the most part, players they couldn't leave. They were stuck with us. So you know, through the good and the bad, we develop, you know, a relationship, and I mean player and fan to where they do get that connection because even if they wanted to leave, they couldn't and wouldn't. So they stay at a place for three years, maybe they fall in love with it. Well, Maryland players, they don't care. Most of these guys from Maryland have been there two years at most, or one year from the portal or you know, they're freshman dere queen.
Speaker 4: It's like they're not.
Speaker 2: Worried about what Kevin Willard's gonna do because you know what, if they want to keep playing college basketball, they have eligibility left. Kevin Willard gets another job, though us go with him. They don't care, like it's never it's not about your brand, your fan base, your like you know why Villanova, if they don't get Willard, they're gonna have to go get a very underwhelming hire, I'm sure compared to what they have with Jay Wright is because that kind of stuff, it's all transactional, it's all money, it's all opportunity. And that's just why, you know, it is wild to think that there are programs that now have built their they have built it up to where they're so successful. They have been for generations that they're top dogs and they had some like what they were able to utilize to build it over time to be one of the best ever.
Speaker 4: What they utilized that others didn't have now means nothing. So be thankful if you are.
Speaker 2: A blue blood that has deep pockets because you've been a successful program forever and like it's just a priority, always going to be because what got you there that gave you the advantage of everybody else that didn't achieve the status that you have. I don't want to say it's worthless, but it kind of is. It helps you, but like it can't just be it. You can have countless championships, you can have, you know, the biggest fan base in the world. You can have opportunity to play in front of a big crowd and on national television because you are that kind of a program. But if you don't got you don't have the check to match it anymore. That alone doesn't do it. I'm gonna makeing sense, like if you because Villanova is a rare situation. I don't know if they're a blue blood, but look, they got three titles. They're up there. You know they're not They're not in the Uh you know, they're not in the poor section. They're they're up there. I mean, I don't know where they'd rank, but again, we're talking about a program that is clearly in the top you know ten of all time.
Speaker 4: Top fifty, certainly.
Speaker 2: But yet they they have the success, they have the tradition, they have the championships, they have the you know, they have some relevancy they have I don't they don't have a big fan base, but like if they don't, they don't have money though, and that will get them buried forever. Just one of those things that I'm not sure. Like last night, Maryland players weren't worried about Maryland fans being in turmoil. And I don't want to say they're heartless and they don't care about fans, but like it just doesn't. I mean, it's you're not gonna have that connection that you used to get. And because of that, I mean, fans will because they love their program. This isn't every year thing, like coaches come and go, players come in and go every year now, but like you couldn't quit it if you tried, so you as a Maryland fan yesterday are thinking like this is insane.
Speaker 4: We're back in the Sweet sixteen. I love Kevin Willard.
Speaker 2: I love this team, but the way he's handled it now, I hate him and I don't know if he's gonna stay. Well, it didn't really bother your team, because again, like what do they care? They'll just they if they are still eligible and they want to keep playing. There's a good chance Kevin Willard will bring them with him wherever he goes. Or maybe they'll just stick around at Maryland and get it begin Aisle deal and play for a new coach, which isn't a big deal anymore, because you know what, nowadays, you can play for four coaches in four years if you want. It's just a new world, man. I know I've really talked about that a ton this week, but as the tournament progresses, I just think there are more and more blatant signs that, man, this is not at all what it once was. All right, quick break, we'll talk about tonight's matchups on the other side and figure out what we want to wager. Also, we will talk a little more about these transfers that Kentucky's already landed one in the portal today, Louisvill's got one visiting, and.
Speaker 4: As you could expect.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of guys in the portal mentioning certain schools I think to you know, boost their brand. That happened yesterday. We'll talk about it right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: A couple of you have asked if I have heard anything on the Nate ament and recruitment, and I haven't. I'm sure you probably have followed it better than I have. He I mean, it just very much seems like it's gonna come down to the highest bidder and if Louisville can make it work, great, If not, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, because yes, there's a lot of cachet that comes with an elite level freshmen of that caliber, but we already have one and mckail brown junior and he's maybe not ranked as high as Nate event, but not far off. I mean, he's a top ten player. So I mean, I I think you need to make sure that the portal is the priority when roster, you know, whenever you're building your roster in the off season. But you still I mean, I don't think you have to even go to go with freshmen. But you know there's still gonna be some freshmen out there that coaches think highly enough that say, okay, yeah, ninety percent of my new additions are going to be from the portal.
Speaker 4: But this guy, he's special. We can get him. Let's make it happen.
Speaker 2: So just like the Jaden quaintance from last year at Arizona State, I mean, it would have been great to get a guy like that just because of his presence, and man, what a statement it would have been for Pat Kelsey right out of the gate.
Speaker 4: But you didn't. You save money and you used it wisely. All Right, it's Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: Peilbout Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety so we've talked a little bit about the Kentucky game. I think that this just I mean, I just saw a stat about Kobe Brea that that it's got to be like another sign that there's just I shouldn't say there's no scenario. And lord, that's what it really comes down to for me is that I don't I don't want to be rooting for Kentucky so that I will win money. I don't want them losing. I don't want to grant them that sound yeah, and I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want them losing and the joy that I typically get from that be weakened because I didn't win a bet, you know what I mean, Like, I just want to avoid it at all costs, But I don't know if I if I can, because I mean, Kobe Brea an elite shooter and has always shot it well in the tournament. This is from optastats. He has shot better than fifty percent from the field while also making three or more three pointers in all four of his career in C DOUBLEA tournament games. That's the longest streak by any player in the NC DOUBLEA tournament at any point in a career. And again, that seemed like a very you know, particular stat which it is, I guess, but still like I just think, if Kentucky plays well, they have to play great. But if they play well, they beat Tennessee because Tennessee is just I don't know where you give Tennessee the edge. I really don't, and defensively would would be I think what you would typically say, and maybe they are when it comes to you know, like Ken Palm, but Amari Williams is a great rim protector, good shot blocker, and they were vulnerable on the perimeter when it comes to defense at times this year. But when you've got Lamont Butler and he's healthy and playing the way he's playing, like those other guys don't have to be great. Clearly you can have some vulnerability defensively, but will take Away and Butler together, Like this team has gone from I think, you know, being a team that's vulnerable on the perimeter defensively to where maybe they can really get after you. Like, I just don't see where Tennessee in any way is you know, again they can win. I get why they're favorites. I'm not trying to act like it's David vs. Goliath, but I just think there's not an area where I feel like Tennessee is gonna really exploit and take advantage of Kentucky's a weakness for Kentucky or they're going to be able to just emphasize the strength of Theirs that Kentucky won't be able to account for. But I don't know if i'm'll be able to make the better or not. Probably gonna be stay away from me so, Michigan State Ole miss. This is the rematch from the twenty nineteen final four. I'm sorry twenty yeah, twenty nineteen final four, not between these two teams, I should say.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing if there's an updated in line here, but it's a rematch between Izzoh and Chris Beard. And Chris Beard, you know, he's always been able to play late the under you know, the under the radar, chip on the shoulder kind of guy. Like that's how he was built. And he was really really good in those moments like when everybody started to realize how bad ass of a coach this guy was. You know, before he got arrested for putting his hands on his wife, he was the guy who was at what Central Arkansas or somewhere like that, and and you know, they won a couple of tournament games, I think, and then he ends up at Texas Tech, builds them up to there all the way at the championship game. And he was also you know, which is wild how it worked out, Like you know, he embraced being like the little brother to Texas Tech and you know, being able to.
Speaker 4: Whoop their ass like he was.
Speaker 2: He was really comfortable in that role, and at Texas he wasn't there long and also he couldn't do that it old miss. You know, it's kind of like a getting his feet back underneath him. And this year, if you listen to him after their tournament wins, like he's embracing like nobody gave us a chance, which is kind of ridiculous. But you know, they were a six seed. I always stay was three seed, and they absolutely you know, they absolutely use that as like, Okay, we'll show them they think they're better than us. And another one that I think just will remind.
Speaker 4: You how he's wired. I forgot about this, but.
Speaker 2: You remember when Carolina won the playing game and got to play Ole Miss. Remember that Austin, Yeah, Carolina was favored, Remember Yeah, like he you know that's not a journalist, that's not somebody that's asking them a question in the press conference. But the oddsmakers made Carolina favorite, and he is really fueled by that. So I think that's why you're seeing Texas Tech only three and a half point dogs. So I mean that's the explanation that I would give you if you ask, which a lot of people have asked, how is this only minus three and a half, like it should be closer to like, you know, maybe minus six and a half seven and a half. And I just think it's because that's a good spot for Chris Beard. However, Michigan State's just better. They're more balanced. I don't love this play, but I think Michigan State minus three and a half is is the smart move here. Michigan Auburn, what do you like here? I like Michigan to compete.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if Craig couldn't couldn't, you know, keep it within single digits. I'm thinking, well, maybe maybe Michigan wouldn't be able to because I still think Creighton was a good team.
Speaker 4: I really do. In Michigan.
Speaker 2: You know, they don't have the shooters that that Creighton has, but they've got capable guys and they don't have a Caulkbrinner, but they got they got uh not a lot of people do, that's true, but they've got they got two bigs that are that are that are pretty dangerous and Danny wolf And and Vlad Golden. So that's a really tough Like last last night, or as we were wrapped up the show yesterday, I should say I felt good about three of those picks that it was the ones that that you know came in. Yeah, I don't feel great about any game other than the Kentucky one.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I do feel I feel good about Michigan State, the Michigan Auburn one. I'm really torn. What do you what are you thinking? What's your gut? Say eight and a Half's the number?
Speaker 3: Gut tells me Auburn. But like the fun factor would go with Michigan obviously, And.
Speaker 2: I think Dusty May is a good coach to where like I feel like he'll compete. And even when last year I was kind of whatever about him, it wasn't because I didn't think he was a good coach.
Speaker 4: I just didn't understand.
Speaker 2: Like again, I think going to a Final four is always worth really propping somebody up.
Speaker 4: But there's got to be other data.
Speaker 2: Included than just one run. Dusty May had coached a lot of years where he was average or not good, and then he had a Final four. Pat Kelsey has won conferences at different schools multiple times to where even though like again, I will take a coach, it's hard to just ignore a magical run. But if you make the tournament seven eight times, at two schools like Winthrop and Charleston because you're winning your conference tournament. You getting there that many times shows how good you are at that level. You're not expected to win when you get there as a fourteenth seed. Sometimes it happens. So if you really think about it, there's more you and a guy that just has proven he could win, win, win, win than a guy who like Porter Moser dudes literally living on a one. He's coached for thirty years seemingly, and he said one season that would ever even indicate that he would be worthy of like the jobs that he's gotten. So anyways, Dusty May I think is a good coach. I think they'll compete, but Auburn's just a lot more talented, right I have, I'd probably take Auburn covering. Yeah, That's where I'm leaning now.
Speaker 3: And you also like Purdue, don't you?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 2: But I'm starting to like realize that this like Houston last year lost in what round was it? I can't think of when it was, because you know, I.
Speaker 3: Look at it losing the first weekend? Did they well?
Speaker 2: One of their best players got hurt, and Kelvin Sampson's had a great job of re of getting Houston back on the map as like a power pro. I mean, they've won the Big Twelve in their first two years there with games to spare each time, like they've been like Kelvin Samsons a damn good coach, and Houston's had some really good teams. But they lost in the final four to Baylor the year they won it by like a billion and that was that made it seem like, Okay, yeah, they were cute, but they were in the American and that's really not the case. Like they're good regardless, and they have been. They've shown it in the Big Twelve and last year they fell short in the in the Sweet sixteen, and it was when their best player got hurt and I can't think of his name as one of their guards that went down ACL I think it was, and they just clearly weren't the same. So, you know, I just I'm starting to think that they just will have too much for Purdue, and I don't know, I mean, this could be nothing, but Kelvin Sampson is going to be playing in the state of Indiana and he's gonna be playing Indiana's rival Perdue, which, by the way, like because Houston still doesn't get any real recognition for a team is as good as they are. Nobody's gonna talk about Houston playing a three seed in the Sweet sixteen and a damn road game. Houston's playing Purdue in Indy. That's a road game. Like it's a one seed getting a road game in the sweet sixteen for a team that is what the what seed is Purdue four? I think they're four? Yes, So the four seed. It's on like sixty five mile trip. The four seed had to get by a high point team as a twelve and a was it a thirteen seed as a in McNeice Yeah, McNeice. And now they get a home game. I mean, Purdue's really been fortunate, and I like, again, I think Purdue this year is is a good reminder of how good of a coach Matt Painter is. He does it his own way. He's got a rare way, rare buill to his rosters, which makes them vulnerable at times. Certainly we've seen that, but they're also consistent, like they're they're good at what they do. But I just feel like Houston, I kind of feel like they can overwhelm them. But maybe maybe Houston will play even more fired up because Kelvin Sampson, this is what he had to say, and it could just be him answering the question directly, or maybe there's something.
Speaker 1: To it for you just to be back in the Hoosier State here in Indiana.
Speaker 4: What's that like for you personally?
Speaker 3: And then said has it made anything to me?
Speaker 4: I'm just looking forward to playing Purdue Friday night.
Speaker 2: So for those who don't remember Kelvin Samson, like one of the all time what ifs in college basketball I think is if Calvin Sampson never left Indiana or never got fired, because he's proven at all times to be a great basketball coach. I mean, he was great at Oklahoma, took him to a Final Four. They don't go to those very often, right, and then he got the Indiana job and they were rolling, and then he got in trouble for something that even at the time was really stupid and it's just insane to think about now that that's what led to him being fired from Indiana and Indiana they may have literally never even like I mean it might have gone. I mean they might have been Bobby Knight even at the end wasn't great. That's why I came to an end. But like Kelvin Sampson is as good of it is, one of the best coaches in the game. Indiana will give you everything you need to be successful. They've got it wrong in every way as far as they're hires. I don't think they get it wrong. With Crane, it just kind of maxed out and it didn't hit the climax wasn't what they wanted it to be. But Kelvin Sampson, that was the right hire. It just from then on they were cursed. And I'm sure he probably you know, life's better for him now. He's doing great, but you know, I'm sure he's still not happy about being fired. But again, maybe I'm overthinking the connections here. But all right, last break, we'll go back on the other side and I'll figure out what I'm doing. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, listen up, because I won't be here next week to tell you because I'll be on vacation. So don't forget about my friends at the Louis of Men's Clinic. If you haven't reached out to him yet, Fellas, what are you waiting on? They can help you be happier and healthy. And I know sometimes I say, you may not even realize what they could help you with. You may not realize that, you know, something you think is going great, you don't even realize could be even better for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I do mean that.
Speaker 2: What I think is is what I try to emphasize, is that what a lot of us just accept as well. You know, I'm not like you know, if you're active or not right, and sometimes you know, you feel like you're not getting the same results. And it's because maybe in your mind you're thinking, I guess I'm not working out as hard but like you are, or maybe you just think, well, hey, I'm doing the same stuff, but yeah, it just doesn't give me the same effect because I'm getting old. And there's clearly some truth to that. But that was me for years. I just assume, well, you know, this is life. And then there were other things like, you know, just being tired, lethargic, losing my edge overall. And then I thought, you know what, I guess maybe it could be low testosterone, And sure enough, that's what it was. And now I don't have to deal with that anymore, and life's great. So cannot recommend them enough. Lovele Mens clinical see doctor would loble Men's clinic dot com is the website, and you give them a call at five two four four four four thousand. So for those of you that have any interest in these kin Palm numbers, I'll give them to you. So it's a night's game. The projected score is seventy six seventy one Tennessee and the Michigan State Ole Miss game projected score seventy three to seventy Purdue Houston projected score seventy one to sixty four, Houston winning, and then in the Auburn Michigan game projected score eighty to seventy two. So I mean, keep in mind, this is a formula. The odds are set by you know, a human, and aren't they. I mean, I'm looking at it now, I'm pretty sure it's it's just the hook. It's it's the number with a hook on it, right, yes, because Tennessee wins by five and Kim Palm it's a five and a half point line or four and a half point line, and the Old Miss Michigan State seventy three seventy it's a three point win for Michigan State three and a half the hook and then Perdue, the win is a eight point win for I'm sorry, seven point win for Purdue. I'm sorry for Houston over Purdue. But the line is eight and a half. So that one's a little that that one's that one's you know, that one's more than just that's that's basically a point and a half difference. And then in the Auburn Michigan it's an eight point victory for Auburn and the spreads eight and a half.
Speaker 4: So I don't I don't think, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be shocked if they just reference that and and go from there. I mean I would because usually, I mean, that's the thing you can't. I mean, if you if you follows exactly what kin Palm does, you know you could be off by point and lose, and you would you wouldn't believe how often that happens.
Speaker 4: I mean that kim Palm.
Speaker 2: Is is is back because last year, you mean the year before that, I think it was starting to decline. It's just not as much of a reliable formula because it was having to adjust to the sport changing so much. But this year was a good year for kin Pom. But again, doesn't make it any easier to make a decision, makes it easier for the odds makers. All Right, I'm gonna, uh, here's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: Let's see, let's do some.
Speaker 2: Quick math here, because I think I have a way to get some action. I'm gonna do a straight bet on Kentucky to where where if I if I'm right, I can cash in and it won't ruin the rest of the legs of my parlay. But for this one, in the four leg parlay for tonight's game, I'm gonna I'm gonna gonna mess with the total, which I told myself last night many times with derogatory language that I that I will never do it again. Yeah, but Ken Palm, I have fun. Ken Palm has it as a one forty seven total. The over is set or the over. The line is win forty four and a half. I'm gonna take the over just because I trust to I could. I trust Kentucky to score for sure. And you know, Tennessee may not have a great offensive game because they're not a great offensive team, but the pace. If Kentucky's playing the way they want to play and they're scoring, it'll it'll lead to just a lot of points.
Speaker 3: We'll be up there in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm gonna I'm gonna take the over there, and then I'm taking Michigan State minus three and a half, and I'm gonna take I'm gonna take Auburn minus eight and a half, and I'm also gonna take I'm gonna take Houston. I just think from a personnel standpoint, they I just think.
Speaker 4: They're they're that they're they're they're that much better, and they're going to really make it hard for her due to score many points at all. So there you have it.
Speaker 2: I'm taking I'm taking I said Auburn, right, Yes, okay, So I'm taking two favorites one uh. In fact, I'm taking all three favorites, and then I'm taking the over in the Kentucky Tennessee game. And I'm also betting on Kentucky to win because I just if they lose and I lose some money on a side.
Speaker 4: Bet whatever, it was worth it because they lost.
Speaker 2: If they win, hate to see it, but the account won't hate to see it right right, how are we feeling?
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 4: We don't feel as confident as we did yesterday.
Speaker 1: Do it? No?
Speaker 3: I do like the overs though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have some fun then, I let's do it. Enjoy the rest of the Sweet sixteen in the Elite eight. Enjoy next week. I'll be out and I'll be back you know, the following Monday.
Speaker 4: Have a good one.