Speaker 1: My name is Sandy.
Speaker 2: This is my beautiful, talented, yet somewhat acerbic wife, Tricia. Hi Friends, a dawn of a new day here on the Sandy Show, because I had to get rid of my Now, for those of you who don't know this, for the last thirty whatever years I've been on the radio, I have always always, always had at the ready nearby a tube of chapstick or lip stuff always.
Speaker 1: Yep. I had to throw one out yesterday. I used it all up.
Speaker 2: I probably had it all probably had it for five years, right, and I had to get a new one.
Speaker 1: And thank god Tricia was with me.
Speaker 2: Yep. And because I grabbed one, just standard old chapstick, and I goes this one good, and I was just talking about the flavor and it was strawberry icy.
Speaker 1: I thought you would for sure say yes, yeah, But what I tell you about the chapstick? He SAIDs two waxy two.
Speaker 3: Waxy too hard, you get a drag it across your lips.
Speaker 2: Right, So I got this other one that kind of looks like a girl's lip claws with you in a tube EO s s.
Speaker 1: Super bomb. Yeah, that's my new one. That's your new one, you know.
Speaker 3: That's just the gel the gloss version of the ball.
Speaker 1: You know those little balls that you had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just the jlly glossy version of it.
Speaker 1: It's a good one too. I tried it.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, it's good. So anyway, I just thought i'd share that with you guys. Not anybody cares, but it's just a thing. It's a big thing for it. It's a big deal.
Speaker 3: When we when we just picked it up and threw it on the counter and then it was eleven dollars for a two pac I was like, sorry about you, Like, if you don't like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, because it was eleven dollars.
Speaker 2: And your chapstick was a dollar ninety nine. Right, Oh well, I'll have it for ten years. Yeah, it's two tubes. I'll have it for ten years. Tricia, what's first thing? Made you laugh?
Speaker 3: I want attention from a very specific set of people at a very specific time, and other than that, I'd like to be one hundred percent left alone.
Speaker 1: So basically, only when you want THEE.
Speaker 3: When I give this signal, then I want some attention I gave, and then when I get the signal, I want to be left alone.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with wanting to be left alone, right, really, I mean, and especially if you're married first, I've been married sixteen years.
Speaker 1: Just give each other their space. You never know a Trish will barge in. I do. Yeah, you barge in in my eye.
Speaker 3: That's one of those times that I'm like and now I want attention, so I come barging in.
Speaker 2: We have separate bedrooms in our house, and Trisha will just literally barge into my room.
Speaker 1: When I go to her room. I keep pit a little.
Speaker 3: I know you don't. Doors never closed except if I'm sleeping.
Speaker 1: Or doing your I'm afraid I'm gonna catch you doing the tibo. Oh no, I'll lock the door if I'm doing a typo.
Speaker 3: Nobody has ever seen me with their eyes doing the typo, and they never will.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been looking into hidden cameras.
Speaker 3: Nope, you no, you don't think I would notice that. You don't think i'd noticed a hidden camera.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've had one in there before. You did not up on the show today.
Speaker 2: Trisia's in love with an Instagram account called Glorious Broad.
Speaker 1: Glorious Broad's I love the term broad. I do too.
Speaker 2: It's a great word. Yep, although we used it around your mother and she did not like you.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus.
Speaker 2: But we'll talk about that. Also, the story we love. What's out about?
Speaker 1: I have a waffle House.
Speaker 3: Story on the day after election, ye, after one of the most historic elections in history.
Speaker 1: I need to talk to you guys about waffle House. It also involves a celebrity, if that helps. Okay, all right, stay with us. It's coming up next.
Speaker 2: Sandy Show is brought to you by our bank. Transitioning to our bank is just a click away at www dot r dot bank member fdi C. In our family, the word broad is kind of a compliment. I mean, yeah, it means you're tough, means you don't take any crap from anybody.
Speaker 3: You're bold, Yeah, you have your opinions, you're easily swayed.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. I always thought, you know, Tricia's kind of a broad. If I ever called someone abroad, it's compliment, correct. Yeah, some people don't take it that way, but that's the way that I see it.
Speaker 1: People. So you found that Instagram account called Glorious Broad. Yeah, it's called Glorious Brides.
Speaker 3: It interviews older women to get their take on steph h. They interviewed one woman, her name is Annie Corsen.
Speaker 1: She's an actress.
Speaker 3: She had bit parts and a lot of stuff, and she says she learned how to say no after someone once invited her to go camping. She didn't want to go, she said yes and ended up using poison ivy as toilet paper. Here's what she has to say.
Speaker 4: I'm I don't feel any different from when I was sixteen. I still think about boys, and I still hate my hair.
Speaker 1: You know that has not changed.
Speaker 4: You know what the big difference is, tell us I can say no, and younger people are so anxious to please.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I can do that. Oh sure I want that. Oh yes, that's a good idea.
Speaker 4: I've learned to say I'm sorry. That doesn't really work for me. I've never been able to say ever.
Speaker 2: Tricia, you're an early bloomer on saying no because you have no problem and say no, Yeah it doesn't interest me, no, thanks.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I might have gotten it a little bit for my grandmother. My grandmother was very much a absolutely not no ma'am.
Speaker 1: She's tough broad. Yeah. My grandma was the ultimate tough blood.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I feel like maybe I emulate her a little bit It comes with age though, Yeah, for sure, for sure learning how to be like mmm, yeah, no, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: You know, when you really look like a tough broad is when you roll your T shirt sleeves up and make tank tops out of it. That's what you look like.
Speaker 3: When I'm exercising and I get hot. Yeah, you hate it when I do that, But you do it in the studio too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do it sometimes in the studio because I get hot in here. Sometimes that's good, a little warm. Yeah, yeah, you can follow that account. Tell everybody the address.
Speaker 1: It's on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Glorious Broad's at Glorious Broads.
Speaker 1: She's Tricia. My name's Sandy Moore coming up.
Speaker 2: Ask Alexa to play what O three point one, Austin's eighties station on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: That was good when Sweet spotgonger.
Speaker 2: Tricia Carrot don't cares you know a fun fact about whales?
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely whales. I'm mesmerized by whales just because they're so big.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you remember when we were in Mexico last summer we could see them breaching.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool, very cool. They're just gigantic and they're so nice. Well, there are they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see all those videos of asking people for help when they get fishing nets and stuff caught on them. Or I don't know, I have the impression that they're very gentle giants.
Speaker 1: I would think that all the fish they eat. Don't think they're that nice. Yow those fish, you gotta get out of the way.
Speaker 2: There are whales alive today that have been alive since before the book Moby Dick was written in eighteen fifty one. Wow, they're bowhead whales off the coast of Alaska, and they're over two hundred years old.
Speaker 1: Two hundred years old.
Speaker 3: That's an old whale, right, and that is an old whale.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if thinking you know, they got little scooters? Think no, Speaking of books, do you care? Don't care to want to know the most checked out book at the New York Public Library since it opened in eighteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: I definitely am interested. Yeah, I thought you would.
Speaker 2: The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 1: Never heard of it, Okay, I don't know what I was expecting.
Speaker 2: I was thinking one of the classics, Yeah, you know what I mean, like mdby Dick, like Moby Dick exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a perfect example of it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats is the most checked out book at the New York Puppic Library since it opened in eighteen ninety five. Okay, all right, and finally, you know my man had a busy night last night, Anderson Cooper.
Speaker 1: Oh, yep, Gloria Vanderbilt's son. Yep, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: Uh did you know that he's the only one of that family, the Vanderbilt family, that has any money left.
Speaker 1: They're all all he and his mom. The other ones all went and broke.
Speaker 5: Believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Vanderbilt, of course, was the train guy back in the day. Anyway, as I said, Anderson Cooper busied night last night covering the election stuff. One of your reporter brethren. Mm hmmm, uh has zero formal journalism training none. What had no journalism training at all?
Speaker 1: What is it? What did he go to school for? He got his degree in political science from Yale. Okay, well that's nothing to sneeze at.
Speaker 2: And did his summer internships at the CIA.
Speaker 3: Oh he's instantly more interesting to me now, Not that I didn't think he was interesting before, but the CIA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that he's clearly recruited by the CIA. Could have been a spoon.
Speaker 1: Do you want to work for the CIA?
Speaker 2: To my dad, call all the spies spook books, boy, Bogie's bad guys, and they're good guys.
Speaker 1: I guess too.
Speaker 2: But Anderson Cooper, I like him, but he always looks like he has to have a bowel movement.
Speaker 1: Look on his face, like he's really gonna go potty. I don't think that at all.
Speaker 3: Is beautiful, blue eyes is always perfectly combed hair.
Speaker 1: He's a smart dude. Yeah, he's very smart. He went to.
Speaker 2: Yale and don't let dummies in there, don't. Well, they let dummies in if they're real. Good morning, It's the Sandy Show on Austin's eighties station one O three point one. Don't forget Longhorns and Florida Gators Saturday at dk R. You can listen to the game right here on what oh three point one The JB and Sandy Hour this morning and Tomorrow morning from eight until nine o'clock. Download the podcast if you miss it by searching the Sandy Show on the iHeartRadio app. Look for the ones labeled the JB and Sandy Show. But in case you weren't here yesterday, here is a little bit of the JB and Sandy hour from yesterday. So before the show, we were just kind of chatting and stuff, and somehow obituaries came up.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think what JB was talking about his time when you were working at the Statesman and people would call in their obituaries or something.
Speaker 5: There's somebody there on the weekend. Take an obituary call.
Speaker 2: Right, And then we talked about how Tricia's mom, my mother in law, is a professional writer, and she's oftentimes asked my friends and family stuff to write obituaries, you know. And then we got to thinking, who would you want if you could pick to write your obituary? Is that something you can do? Even do like if when I put that my will, like JB's got all my passwords and stuff to my computer and my phone and everything to clean that out before my kid gets to it. A bunch of stuff in there she didn't need to know about. Or yeah, I don't need you to know about either. But sometimes you find people and find things when people die. We had a friend she had something in her nightstand we were shocked, and she.
Speaker 3: Had given she had given clear instructions to our other friend to go in and get it out. What age you are, that's a worry.
Speaker 1: So who would you? I'll go first.
Speaker 2: If you could pick the person to write your obituary, you know who I would want it to be.
Speaker 1: You might not find this as a surprise. I want JB to write it. Oh lord, it would be funny because it would be clever.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't be the normal obituary room he walked into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would. I could do that, but I would agonize over it. Yeah you know what I mean? Yeah, because I I mean, but you're a great writer, JB.
Speaker 5: You could do it, but I've I've I've worked in every medium out there, much like you. But writing is the hardest one because it's so concrete. With with radio, you can go. I didn't say that. It's so easy to deny if you have a flub, but something written is so permanent.
Speaker 1: It's just dan if it's an obituary and obituates the final say about this person.
Speaker 5: I was asked to eulogize my grandmother and it was just so painful.
Speaker 1: I it was wonderful to do and honorable to do, but you're done with it. You're just not satisfied. You're like, that could have been better, that could have been better.
Speaker 2: And I remember I've done a couple of eulogies as well, and I don't remember what I said.
Speaker 1: I honestly do not. It just like went away.
Speaker 2: But I know people came up to me afterwards and said that was great, But I honestly, I just don't remember.
Speaker 1: Well, you're very good in public speaking. I'm better.
Speaker 5: I'd be more comfortable doing something written and handing it over than presenting it. God me too, You're better at presenting. And right you write it, I'll say it. Yeah, Tricia, Who's gonna who would write euro obituary?
Speaker 1: It'd be my best friend Sean. She did the toast.
Speaker 3: She was my maid of honor at our wedding and she did the toast, and I just remember, again, I want it because she knows me better than anybody. She's funny, she's a great writer. People would laugh and not cry. And I just remember the whole our whole wedding party, the whole wedding, all the guests just rolling with laughter when she did her toast. Because I can't remember what it was, but it was classic Sean funny and I loved it.
Speaker 1: So she's it would be seanb how about you, Well, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I have two things in mind if I'm on my deathbed and someone's going to do one to me while I'm still alive. My friend Larry from high school, because he remembers and all these stories from high school and I have zero recollection of her.
Speaker 1: He's your historian of your of your friends group. I don't remember. I bust it. I just I did not enjoy high school. I just kind of blocked it all out.
Speaker 5: I just just trudged through it, couldn't wait to get out of there. And so he'll tell me stories and I don't have any reason to believe he's making it up. And I really like that's outrageous. How old is it possible? I don't remember that, Like, he told me a story. I'll be quick with this. He told me a story. But we were in like heart ease or something, and we were always dressed like idiots. We were always working on cars, hot rides, or we were probably wearing cross country running gear, which is back then was really short shorts and singlet tank tops and these. There was a whole group of thugs that were just you could tell they were just laughing and poking front of us at us. And then I noticed they went and sat down with their food, and the person driving left their whole wat of keys on the counter by the register. So I just was like, Larry, come with me. I didn't remember the story, but this is how he told it to me. And so we went outside and waited in his mustang for these people to start coming around looking for their.
Speaker 2: Keys, and Larry's bustay, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: And so these people who had been laughing at us all evening when we see him outside just stuck and looking around and the grass and everything, we roll up and we were like looking.
Speaker 1: For these.
Speaker 5: And then floored it and threw them into a field somewhere. But okay, more of an honest answer is I would be honored if Michael Barnes from The Statesman.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he but you know, he's he's written most of the Austin history stuff over the last forty years. And we did a podcast together for a few years called Austin Found Telling Short Histories.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he he quite often does eulogies, especially of that I'm a prominent Austin Kite, but prominent Austinites. And I asked him about it once. I said, do you enjoy doing those? He's like, I love it, you know. I get together with the family and friends and family and collect their stories and just you know, he's just a true true journalist in a world where we don't have many of those left. Yeah, And he's like, I just want to leave them, you know, something special for their family.
Speaker 1: I'm paraphraser, but it's just like he's a professional.
Speaker 2: Right, and he gets to the media, he gets the story from the family and then he puts it into something that they're going to have forever.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting, Michael Barnes. Better put him on notice. Let him know now.
Speaker 1: He still walk everywhere, Yeah, which is why you'll probably outlive me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true. He walks down Congress. You'll see him every day, and he picks up trash every day.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, I see a guy Austin treasure, this guy. And it's funny.
Speaker 5: I told him once, I said, it's it's interesting Michael, that you walk every day with you know, with the little claw to pick up trash. Yeah, I said. Two of my other favorite writers do the same thing. They do long walks and pick up trash. Michael Barry, No, you're thinking of Berry, Dave Berry. But David Sedaris does that to France. He lives in France and walks and picks up trash. And Stephen King does that. Really he got hit. He had a bad car. He got hit doing it once because he would walk on the side of the highway.
Speaker 1: Accident once. But anyhow, that's.
Speaker 2: Precily a guy all the time at one eighty three and Nick Neil that's walking and picking up trash. But he looks like he's a homeless guy. I don't know if he is or not, or if you know. I thought when I first saw him, he was like, you know, doing community service hours. You know that the judge gave us what they do. That's just what he does. He keeps that whole side of one eighty three clean. God knows there's enough people out there making it dirty. I oh, I hate seeing people litter.
Speaker 1: You don't see it very I know, you really don't see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very often, but when you do, it's just even it's just a cigarette.
Speaker 1: That makes me mad. It's like the world is not your ashtray.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was behind a service van.
Speaker 3: This was years ago when we lived out on the lake and I was following behind them and they threw two what a burger bags out the window on the side of the road. I was outraged, but the phone number to their company was painted on their van, so while I was behind them, I called and I was like, so, two guys in one of your vans. I gave them like the number of the van and I told them what I just saw them do.
Speaker 1: And we followed them and I pulled up next to him at the light.
Speaker 3: The lady must have said, there's a lady behind you that's reporting you, and they looked at me and I just made at him and I was just like, not cool.
Speaker 1: And you can say good night to this one.