Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're diving into the world of red teaming today and our guide is going to be hands on red team tactics by Himanshu Sharma and heartbreat Singh and these authors.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not just they're not just theorists. Himanshu has found vulnerabilities in major companies Apple, Google, Microsoft, Wow, even help celebrities get their accounts back after they were hacked.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of experience I want on my side. And Hartrey brings years of ethical hacking red teaming expertise, working with huge banks, racking up top certifications. So you know, the preface of this book really got me thinking, Okay, what if you could simulate a real world attack to test your company's defenses. Yeah, that's what red teaming is all about.
Speaker 2: No, it is about pushing the boundaries, finding those weaknesses before the bad guys do. Right. It goes beyond your typical security checks, uncovering vulnerabilities that you know might slip through the cracks.
Speaker 1: So it's more than just like a basic penetration test. Absolutely, it's like really stepping into the shoes of a real attacker, trying to think like they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about understanding their mindset, the tactics they use in the real world.
Speaker 1: You know, I used to think that penetration testing and red teaming were the same thing, but reading this book, I realized there are some key differences.
Speaker 2: You're right. Penetration testing or pen testing, it usually follows a more structured process, often guided by industry standards, things like, okay, the Penetration Testing Execution Standard PTE, PTEs, GUYSWAPS, STMM, and ISF.
Speaker 1: Okay, so those are like those those are kind of.
Speaker 2: Like the frameworks, right, framework the guidelines for how these tests should be conducted.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's break down PTEs a little bit. What are the steps involved there?
Speaker 2: So PTEs starts with pre engagement interactions, defining the scope, right, okay, making sure everybod he's on the same page. Then there's intelligence gathering, rep modeling, vulnerability analysis, and of course the actual exploitation phase right right where you try to break in, you know, see if you can get through the defenses, put it to the test. And finally there's post exploitation and reporting. Okay, so documenting what you found, what you were able to do, right.
Speaker 1: So it's very thorough, Yeah, It's kind of like a scheduled checkup, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what to expect when you're going in for appentist red teaming. It's all about surprise. Oh okay, imagine the organization doesn't even know what's happening, right. That element of surprise really helps you see how they would react to a real world attack.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Yeah, this book, it dives into a whole bunch of tools that red teams use. Yeah, some are familiar, like metasploit and map, but the pin Testing twenty eighteen chapter introduce me to some nuance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the MSF payload creator okay, MSFPC MSFPC, which makes generating payloads, especially for those tricky reverse shell connections, so much easier.
Speaker 1: We'll have to get into those verse shells a little bit later, definitely. But you also mentioned another tool that caught my eye. What's interesting about Kowitic?
Speaker 2: So what's interesting about koatic is okay, it uses Windows script hosts to execute its payloads. A lot of anti virus programs these days, Yes, they're focused on PowerShell activity, and so this can help Koitic fly under the radar a little bit, just like.
Speaker 1: A ninja sneaking path to the defenses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It seems like staying hidden is crucial for red teams.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, red teams need to operate undetected if they really want to accurately assess an organization's security.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, right, speaking of essential tools. Yeah, no, red teaming conversation is complete right without talking about the metasploit framework. I've messed around with it a little bit myself, Okay, but maybe we could do a quick refresher.
Speaker 2: Sure, the book assumes some familiarity, so we don't need to go too deep. But think of metasploit like a toolbox, okay, filled with modules, little programs designed for specific tasks. There are auxiliaries, which are helper tools for things like scanning exploits to target vulnerabilities, and payloads, which are the actions taken after a successful.
Speaker 1: Exploit, like opening a back door, right.
Speaker 2: Opening a back door, stealing data, stealing beta, things like that, And then you have encoders to make those payloads harder to detect.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah. I remember using armitage, yeah, which is that graphical interface for metasploity, just to make things a little bit easier to manage.
Speaker 2: Armitage is great for streamlining attacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can even automate tasks with Quortana scripting.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. Yeah, speaking of powerful tools, there's another one that came up a lot in this book.
Speaker 1: Cooboal Strike Cobalt strikes.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a favorite.
Speaker 1: It is, It's a favorite among Red teamers. Cobalt Strike is really about simulating those advanced persistent threats that you hear about so much. It's built for those later stages of an engagement, and it uses what's called a team server as a central hub for controlling those compromise systems.
Speaker 2: So like a command center for the Red Team. Sounds like Cobalt Strike is designed to really mimic what those really sophisticated attackers do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the real deal, those nation state actors, APT groups, that kind of thing. So to really understand how it's used, we need to talk about what's called the Cyber Kill Chain the CKC. It's a framework that breaks down and attack into stages. Okay, I'm intrigued. What are the stages?
Speaker 2: Think of it like planning a heist, right, Okay, First you need to gather information about your target, right, that's reconnaissance. Okay, Then you prepare your tools your weapons. That's weaponization makes sense. Next comes figuring out how to deliver your attack. Right. Then the exploitation phase. You actually break in right, right, you know you're through the door.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, So it's not just about getting in, it's.
Speaker 2: About it's about what you do once you're in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Right, So after you've exploited a vulnerability, you need to install your tools and establish a way to maintain control.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's installation and command and control. And finally you carry out your objective, right, whether it's stealing data, disrupting operations, whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: So it's a whole operation, like a multi phase.
Speaker 2: It is a campaign, it's not just a smash and grab, you know, gotcha, And Cobalt Strike gives you the tools to carry out each of these phases.
Speaker 1: So it's like a comprehensive toolkit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It helps them simulate that full life cycle of a really sophisticated attack from the very beginning to achieving those objectives.
Speaker 1: Now, one technique that keeps popping up is the reverse shell, and it sounds like a really clever way to get around it is those pesky firewalls, yes, that block incoming connections.
Speaker 2: So a reverse shell allows the attacker to gain control of a system by having the target system initiate a connection back to the attacker's machine.
Speaker 1: So instead of the attacker trying to force their way in, they're tricking the target into reaching out to them exactly.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a judo move. You're using their own momentum against them.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, and this.
Speaker 2: Can be really helpful, especially when you have those firewalls that are blocking incoming connections but they allow outgoing traffic. It's a common configuration and reverse shells take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: It sounds pretty sneaky. It is, it is, but I imagine there are different ways to establish.
Speaker 2: There areless way is to use a tool like netcat. Okay, but that creates an unencrypted connection, right, which can be easily detected if somebody's looking for it. Makes sense, so for stealth red teamers use encryption with tools like OpenSSL and cat, socat, crypt cat, all sorts of tools out there.
Speaker 1: Can I see that metasploid also has dedicated tayloads. It does yeah for this, like reverse CRAP and reverse CPRC four, I bet that RC four adds it does.
Speaker 2: RC four is an encryption algorithm. It adds an extra layer of encryption to make it even harder to detect.
Speaker 1: So it's all about blending in. It is with that normal network.
Speaker 2: Traffic hiding in plane sight, right, that's the name of the game.
Speaker 1: And once a red team has that initial foothold, they often need to move deeper into the network. And that's where pivoting comes in.
Speaker 2: Pivoting exactly.
Speaker 1: Imagine pivoting is like it is using one compromise system to hop to another like a stepping stone. Like a stepping stone exactly, you.
Speaker 2: Get a foothold on one machine and then you use that to reach another one makes sense deeper into the network.
Speaker 1: So the book covers a few it does pivoting techniques.
Speaker 2: One is SSH tunneling, where you use SSH to access hidden services on a compromise machine, you know, something like V and C. You can tunnel that traffic over SSH. And then there's interpreter port forwarding, which creates tunnels through an interpreter session to reach other machines.
Speaker 1: And then there's the level pivoting, multi level pivoting, which is where it gets really fun. Yeah, that's where you chain those pivots together, okay, to access multiple subnets. You're expanding that attack surface. You're really going you going deep. It's like exploring a maze. You know. Wow, it's amazing how Red teams can they can navigate these complex networks.
Speaker 2: They do. It's a skill. Yeah, it takes practice for sure, But.
Speaker 1: I imagine managing all those compromise systems maintaining that access. It can be pretty tricky.
Speaker 2: It is. That's where that's where post exploitation frameworks come in. Post exploitations frameworks, they're essential for maintaining that control and persistence.
Speaker 1: Okay, So one that stands out in this book is Empire. Empire Empire.
Speaker 2: So Empire gives Red teams a centralized platform to manage all those compromise systems, execute commands and pivot deeper into the network. It's like a remote control for all those compromised devices.
Speaker 1: It's like the puppet master. It is pulling the strings behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. I'm curious how it works.
Speaker 1: So the core concept and Empire is setting up what's called a listener, similar to a handler in metasploitt. The listener is just waiting for connections from those compromise systems, which are called agents in Empire agents. So those compromises they connect back to the Empire server, to the Empire server.
Speaker 2: But how does that happen?
Speaker 1: Through a process called staging. Okay, so Empire generates a little piece of code called a stager that gets executed on the target system, and that stager reaches out and pulls down a larger agent which establishes that connection.
Speaker 2: So it's like a covert channel.
Speaker 1: It is a covert channel for communication.
Speaker 2: And once that connection is made.
Speaker 1: Then the fun begins. The Red team can really start digging.
Speaker 2: In, can really dig in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Empire has this huge library it does of post exploitation.
Speaker 2: Modules, some massive library.
Speaker 1: Categorized by function. So there are modules for executing code, collecting data, stealing credentials, xfiltrating information, basically anything you can think of. Ye, pretty much anything that a sophisticated attacker would.
Speaker 2: Do, that a sophisticated attacker would want to do.
Speaker 1: It is a toolbox.
Speaker 2: For all those post exploitation activity post exploitation activities.
Speaker 1: It's like you've gotten in, now what are you going to do? Empire gives you the tools to do it.
Speaker 2: And I see that it can target oh yeah, Windows, Linux, even macOS.
Speaker 1: It's incredibly versatile. Wow, you can use it in so many different situations.
Speaker 2: So it's really valuable for red teams that are operating in all these different environments. No, imagine a red team gets into an enterprise network. What would be their ultimate goal?
Speaker 1: What do you think if they really want to cause some chaos, wouldn't they go for the domain controller?
Speaker 2: You're thinking like a red team or already? The domain controller is the heart of the network. It's the keys to the kingdom. If you can compromise the domain controller, you basically control the whole domain. And the book actually details how Empire can be used to target domain controllers, right, I'm all yours. First, they need to gain higher privileges on a compromised machine, so Empire has modules for that, things like bypasswas vnlwright. Then they need to steal credentials. Oftentimes they'll use a tool called mimicats to extract passwords from memory, and that might include domain user credentials.
Speaker 1: So they escalate privileges. Yeah, grab those credentials.
Speaker 2: Then what then they use those stolen credentials to laterally move to the domain controller itself. Once they're on the domain.
Speaker 1: Controller, yeah, they're on the driver's seat, and I.
Speaker 2: Read about this script called death Star. Death Star, Yeah, that can actually automate. It can the whole process.
Speaker 1: It can automate a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yet exploiting active directory to gain domain admin access.
Speaker 1: It could do it in seconds. It's a really powerful tool. It just shows you the power of automation.
Speaker 2: So death Star is like the Red Teams.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like they're step secret weapon. Yeah, okay, it's a very effective tool.
Speaker 2: We've talked a lot about Empire, but let's circle back to Cobalt Strike. The book really emphasizes its usefulness in those later stages.
Speaker 1: It's a post exploitation powerhouse. Oh okay, it's designed for those later stages of a Red Team engagement. So what makes it so, what's fascinating about Cobalt Strike is that it goes beyond just the initial exploitation. It gives you a whole suite of tools.
Speaker 2: For post exploitation activities.
Speaker 1: So it's really a comprehensive platform. It is.
Speaker 2: It's a platform for Red teaming.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about those advanced capabilities.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that excels at is payload generation. It supports all sorts of attack vectors. You know, packages, web drive buys, spear phishing.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And once they're in, Cobalt Strike gives you all sorts of post exploitation tools, you know, screen shot capture, keystroke logging, process injection, file browsing, you name.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a spy's dream toolkit.
Speaker 2: It's pretty powerful stuff.
Speaker 1: And we can't forget about pivoting. We can't forget pivoting.
Speaker 2: Some kind of pivoting methods.
Speaker 1: So Cobalt Strike gives you several different options. You can set up a soocks server, you can create listeners that tunnel traffic through compromise systems. You can even deploy VPNs wow for covert communication.
Speaker 2: It sounds like they thought of everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really did. I read about this aggressor script. Aggressor script which lets you automate tasks and customize attacks.
Speaker 2: It's a scripting language.
Speaker 1: Within Cobalt Strike.
Speaker 2: Built right into cobalt strikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what can you tell me about that?
Speaker 2: So aggressorscript is really powerful.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You can define custom behaviors, automate complex sequences of actions. So, for example, you could use it to automatically gather information about a target network or launch a series of attacks against specific systems, can get really creative with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's powerful stuff. It is regardless of what tools are being used, command and control or C two.
Speaker 2: C two, it's the heart of it.
Speaker 1: All is crucial for any Red Team operation.
Speaker 2: Could you read more? C two servers are those central hubs for communicating with all those compromise systems. They allow the Red Team to issue commands, receive data, maintain that persistent access.
Speaker 1: Right, and this is where things is where it gets get really interesting because the book dives into some really ingenious techniques for setting up and disguising those C two servers.
Speaker 2: You have to be creative. You can't just use the same old techniques.
Speaker 1: So one that stood out to me was using cloud based file sharing services like Dropbox. And one drives two.
Speaker 2: Channels, so you're using drop Box red teaming.
Speaker 1: It's all about blending in with legitimate traffic.
Speaker 2: Okay, how does that work?
Speaker 1: You can set up a listener in Empire that communicates through Dropbox, so all that C two traffic just looks like normal file uploads and downloads.
Speaker 2: So you're hiding in plane site, you.
Speaker 1: Are, You're hiding in plane sighte wow. And one drive can be used in a similar way. But the book also talks about C two covert channels, which take things to a whole new level. What are covert channels?
Speaker 2: So, covert channels are all about hiding the very existence of communication. So it's not just encrypting the data. You're using existing protocols like DNA, S, HTTP, ICMP, WebDAV to create hidden tunnels for your C two traffic.
Speaker 1: It's like whispering secrets. It is in a crowded room, but digitally nobody even knows.
Speaker 2: Nobody even knows the conversation is happening.
Speaker 1: Conversations happening. That's a great analogy.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 1: But even with these techniques, yeah, C two servers can still be detected, we can and blocked. Right. That's where redirectors come. Indirectors, redirectors. Okay, I'm sensing another layer.
Speaker 2: Another layer of obfuscation here, exactly. So a redirector acts as a proxy, Okay, it forwards traffic to the actual C two server, right, but it masks its true IP address.
Speaker 1: So if the blue team exactly detects the redirector, they're not actually.
Speaker 2: Getting getting to the real C two server, to the C two server. Right, it's like a decoy, Okay, it draws attention away from the real target.
Speaker 1: So the book discusses different types of redirection it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from simple forwarding using a tool like socat to more sophisticated methods that mimic legitimate traffic. You can even use web services like Apache wow, to make it look like you're just communicating with a web server. And then there's this technique, and then there's domain funding domain fronting, which sounds really advanced.
Speaker 1: It's pretty advanced, okay, So what is that Domain fronting leverages legitimate services like Google app Engine or cloud flare to mask that C two traffic as communication with trusted domains.
Speaker 2: So it's like hiding it is a secret message and an official envelope exactly.
Speaker 1: Nobody's going to question that.
Speaker 2: Right, it looks completely legitimate. Wow, Okay, not a clever technique. Yeah, rub out my head around that one a little bit more, definitely. But let's talk about the end game, all right, Data ex filtration, Data ex filtration, getting the goods out right, that's the whole point.
Speaker 1: Right yea, So how do red teams actually get that data out?
Speaker 2: So there are lots of different methods, each with its pros and cons. You know, basic tools like netcat and open SSL they lack stealth. Okay, PowerShell can be used to exfiltrate data over HTTP. But you got to be careful with your scripting. Okay, make sure you're not tripping any alarms.
Speaker 1: Right, you know.
Speaker 2: The book also mentions steganography, Yes, steganogaway, which is basically hiding data within seemingly innocent files. Right, It's like hiding a message in plain sight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you could hide sensitive information.
Speaker 2: You could hide it in a recipe, wow, in a news article. Anything you can think of.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 2: It's a clever technique, okay. And then there's DNS tunneling DNS tunneling, which uses DNS requests. DNS tunneling uses DNS requests to kind of sneak data out of the network.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The book mentions a tool called dn.
Speaker 1: Steel dn steel for this purpose.
Speaker 2: And of course Empire has its own yeah, modules for data exfiltration.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Empire has modules for all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Right, So Empire's modules offer a lot of flexibility control over the exfiltration process.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 2: But you know, the goal of red teaming isn't just to steal data.
Speaker 1: It's not just about getting in and grabbing stuff. It's about maintaining that access, demonstrating the potential impact of a real attack which brings us to which it brings.
Speaker 2: Us to persistence.
Speaker 1: Persistence.
Speaker 2: Yet, that art of staying under the radar and keeping that access even if the initial entry points are closed.
Speaker 1: You get a persistence is all about making.
Speaker 2: Sure that the red team can maintain access. Right those back doors, Yeah, those back door those implants.
Speaker 1: Yah, those implants they leave behind.
Speaker 2: You've got to have a way to get back in.
Speaker 1: I'm eager to learn about the specifics.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So one common method is manipulating scheduled tasks. Okay, you know these are tasks that are set to run automatically at certain times. Attackers can hijack these to launch their own malicious payloads. So they're blending in hiding their activity within legitimate system processes exactly.
Speaker 1: They're making it look like their activity is just normal system activity.
Speaker 2: Pretty clever, it is.
Speaker 1: It's a very effective technique. So they might tweak they might tweak an existing schedule task, or they might create a new one that looks completely harmless but secretly it's executing their code in the background.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I bet registry keys are another prime target.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Registry keys are a gold mine for.
Speaker 2: Persistence, for persistence. Yeah, the registry is like the control center for Windows. Attackers can modify keys that determine which programs launch on startup or during certain.
Speaker 1: Events, so they could ensure their payload runs every time the computer.
Speaker 2: Starts, every time the computer starts. You got it.
Speaker 1: And I imagine they use.
Speaker 2: Oh, they use all sorts of obfuscation techniques, obfuscation and anti forensic technique to.
Speaker 1: Make those modifications harder to spot.
Speaker 2: To make it as difficult as possible for the blue team to find them.
Speaker 1: It's like trying to find it is a needle in a haystack, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a very apt analogy. And then they're rogue services.
Speaker 1: Rogue services, yeah.
Speaker 2: Are those essentially make services disguised.
Speaker 1: As disguised as legitimate system processes. Yeah, yep. Attackers can create services that run in the background and execute their code. They'll often use names that mimic legitimate services.
Speaker 2: To avoid to avoid raising suspicion. If you see a service running that looks like a normal system service, Yeah, you're not going to think twice about it. This is getting into some deep technical.
Speaker 1: Sep technical territory sounds incredibly difficult.
Speaker 2: It is. It's not easy to root out these back doors. It requires specialized knowledge and tools, and that's why one of the key reasons why red teaming is so valuable.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it helps.
Speaker 2: Organizations understand these sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Tactics that real world exposure they need and develop to develop those countermeasures countermeasures.
Speaker 2: So it's like this never it is game of cat.
Speaker 1: And mouse, Cat and mouse. Yeah, the cybersecurity landscape.
Speaker 2: Attackers is constantly evolving fenders.
Speaker 1: Attackers are always coming up with new methods, and defenders have to adapt and stay one step ahead. So given all this, what can organizations actually do?
Speaker 2: That's the million dollar question.
Speaker 1: To protect themselves from these.
Speaker 2: They can't just rely threat on traditional security measures anymore. You firewalls, anti virus software, those are important, but they're not enough. They're enough, not in today's threat landscape.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what else can they do?
Speaker 2: So they need a multi layered approach that combines prevention with proactive threat hunting and incident response capabilities.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about.
Speaker 2: It's not just about building walls.
Speaker 1: Building walls.
Speaker 2: It's about having eyes on the inside right actively looking for those subtle signs of an attack.
Speaker 1: So you got to operate under the assumption. You have to that breaches are inevitable, breaches are going to happen, and focus on minimizing the impact exactly.
Speaker 2: You've got to be able to detect them quickly, respond effectively, contain the damage, and recover efficiently.
Speaker 1: And that's where and.
Speaker 2: That's where red teaming really shines.
Speaker 1: Red teaming comes in. Yet by simulating those real world attacks, simulating organizations can thoroughly test their defenses, pinpoint those weaknesses, and improve their overall security posture.
Speaker 2: So it's like a fire drill. Like a fire drill, but for your cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has really given me a much deeper appreciation.
Speaker 2: Good. I'm glad to hear that for.
Speaker 1: The complexity of cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: It is complex, Yeah, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: And the challenges that organizations face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough job.
Speaker 1: But I gotta admit, yeah, it's a little overwhelming.
Speaker 2: It can be.
Speaker 1: To think about the sheer scale, It is a lot to take in and sophistication a.
Speaker 2: Threat landscape is constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: Of these attacks.
Speaker 2: New threats are emerging all the time, so it's a lot to keep up with, it is, But the key takeaway here is that security is an ongoing journey. It's not a destination. You never really arrive.
Speaker 1: Just check a box and you're done, set it and forget it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't do that with security.
Speaker 1: It's about continuously improvement and resilience.
Speaker 2: Constant improvement, yeah, okay. And resilience being able to bounce back when those attacks inevitably happen.
Speaker 1: Because they will they will. So by staying informed about those emerging threats yep, gott to stay up to date, adopting those best practices, and regularly testing those defenses.
Speaker 2: Testing is crucial. Organizations can organizations can really reduce their.
Speaker 1: Risk, significantly reduce their risk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't eliminate risk entirely, but you can manage it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So shifting gears a bit, let's delve a little deeper into and kobolts the world of cobalt strike.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: You mentioned earlier how versatile it is it is, especially in those later stages.
Speaker 2: It's a post exploitation powerhouse.
Speaker 1: Of a Red Team engagement. So it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: So it's fascinating about Cobalt Strike. Is it really enables Red teamers to act like those stealthy advanced attackers, you know, those apts, those nation state actors.
Speaker 1: Oh, we hear so much about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's designed to mimic their tactics and help organizations understand how those threats actually operate in the real world.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Yeah, so can you walk me through sure some of the ways.
Speaker 2: So one of the key aspects of cobolt strike is its beaconing behavioral beconing. So instead of constantly communicating with the C two server, beacons only check in periodically. So it's like it's like a spy sending coded messages, coded messages at irregular intervals. Okay, So that low and slow approach, right helps Cobalt Strike blend in with all the other network activity.
Speaker 1: Makes it harder to detect, much harder to detect. And what about those post exploitation capabilities. Oh, yeah, that we talked about earlier.
Speaker 2: Cobalt Strike excels in that area as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, it gives you.
Speaker 2: A wide array of tools for lateral movement, privileged escalation, credential theft, data expiltration.
Speaker 1: You name it.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like a Swiss army knife, a Swiss army knife for post exploitation.
Speaker 1: Or post exploitation activities. Yeah, it sounds incredibly powerful.
Speaker 2: It is. It's very powerful stuff.
Speaker 1: I remember reading about mimicats, which can extract passwords from memory.
Speaker 2: Mimicats is a favorite among attackers.
Speaker 1: Is that something that Cobalt Strike utilizes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Cobalt Strike integrates with mimicats seamlessly. Red teamers can use mimic cats okay, to gather credentials a move laterally within a network. Wow, just like real attackers would.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating, but also a little scary.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit scary.
Speaker 1: Think about how effect if these tools can be in the wrong hands.
Speaker 2: These tools can be.
Speaker 1: Very dangerous in the wrong hands.
Speaker 2: That's why responsible red teaming is so important. It's about using these powerful tools ethically responsibly to help organizations improve their security.
Speaker 1: Speaking of responsible red teaming, yeah, I'm curious about the ethical consideration, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: Ethical red teaming requires transparency, a shared understanding between the red team and the organization that's being assessed. So it's like a a partnership, partnership where both sides.
Speaker 1: Are both sides are working together, working.
Speaker 2: Together to achieve that common goal of improving security.
Speaker 1: Improving security exactly, clear communication, well defined scope, a strong focus on ethical considerations. Okay, these are all essential for those for successful.
Speaker 2: Successful red team engagement. Red team engagements, you got it now, Before we move on, I want to circle back, okay to data X filtrate right, and.
Speaker 1: Discuss some techniques earlier, But I'm curious to learn more about how red teams choose.
Speaker 2: So choosing the right exfiltration method depends on a lot of different factors. You know, how much data are you trying to get out, how sensitive is that data, what's the network environment?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What level of detection are you trying to avoid? So it's really it's a strategic decision.
Speaker 1: A strategic decision based on.
Speaker 2: Based on the specific goals and constraints of that engagement, the engagement exactly. So for example, if they need to exfiltrate, if you need.
Speaker 1: To get a lot of data.
Speaker 2: Out, a large amount of data quickly, Yeah, and you need to do it quickly, I might use a method like.
Speaker 1: You might use something like FTP.
Speaker 2: PAYP, but if stealth is paramount.
Speaker 1: But if you need to be really sneaky, then you might choose something more covert, like DNS tunneling or staganography.
Speaker 2: So it's really is a balancing act, a balancing app between speed, between speed stell and how much data you need to extract and a skilled Red team, a skilled Red team will carefully weigh all these factors to choose the most effective and discrete exiltration method. Refiltration method. You got it?
Speaker 1: Well, this has been It has been a whirlwind.
Speaker 2: Tour, a whirlwind tour of.
Speaker 1: Red Team tactics and technique.
Speaker 2: Tactics and techniques. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot, how much we've covered from initial accents.
Speaker 2: Persistence to persistence, mann and control, man and control, data exfiltration, data exciltration. We've hit all the major points, but I.
Speaker 1: Feel like we've only just scratched the surface.
Speaker 2: We've just scratched the surface of this.
Speaker 1: There's so much more to learn.
Speaker 2: Fascinating field.
Speaker 1: It's a fascinating field for sure.
Speaker 2: So as we wrap up this deep dive, what's the one.
Speaker 1: The one key takeaway? Key takeaway?
Speaker 2: You want our listener to walk away.
Speaker 1: With our listener to walk away with Remember that site.
Speaker 2: Our security is an ongoing process. Okay, there's no finish line, right, It's about continuously learning, adapting, and strengthening those defenses.
Speaker 1: So for our listener, yeah, if you were taffed with, if you were in charge of.
Speaker 2: Defending your organization, defending your organizations from these types of attacks, from these Red Team attacks.
Speaker 1: What would be priority after learning about based on what you've learned today, all these Red Team tactics.
Speaker 2: That's a great question to ponder as we conclude our deep dive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something you can think about. All right, let's uh, let's jump back into those persistence techniques. Okay, we were talking about manipulating scheduled tasks right right. Remember those are tasks that are set to run automatically and attackers can kind of hijack them to launch their malicious code.
Speaker 2: So they're building in and blending in yeah, with.
Speaker 1: Those normal system process.
Speaker 2: With normal system activity to avoid detection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's all about being stealthy.
Speaker 2: It is. It's all about being stealthy.
Speaker 1: And we also talked about registry keys.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, register keys are a gold mine.
Speaker 1: Another area that's ripe for exploitation. Absolutely, the registry is like the central nervous system of Windows. Attackers can modify those keys that determine what programs run on startup or during specific.
Speaker 2: Events, so they could ensure they could that their malicious code runs.
Speaker 1: They could make sure that it runs every time the computer.
Speaker 2: Boots up, every time the computer starts up. You got it, And I imagine, oh yeah. They use all sorts of use occuscation techniques.
Speaker 1: Obfuscation techniques, anti forensic technique to.
Speaker 2: Make those modifications harder to spot, to.
Speaker 1: Make it as difficult as possible for the blue team to find them.
Speaker 2: It's like trying to find a needle.
Speaker 1: It is. It's a very apt analogy in a haystack. Yeah, and then there are rogue services.
Speaker 2: Rogue services, right.
Speaker 1: Are those basically fake services.
Speaker 2: Disguised disguis does legitimate system processes himan ones. Attackers can create services that run in the background and execute their code, and they'll often use names that mimic legitimate services right to avoid suspicion, To avoid raising suspicion. If you see a service running right, if it looks like a like.
Speaker 1: A normal system, you're not going to think twice or think twice about it. So this is getting into deep it's deep technical, deep technical territory. Yeah, and it sounds incredibly difficult. It's not easy to root out these back doors.
Speaker 2: It requires specialized knowledge and tools. And that's why, and that's one of the big reasons why red teaming is so valuable.
Speaker 1: Red teaming is so valuable.
Speaker 2: It gives organizations.
Speaker 1: It helps organizations understand.
Speaker 2: That real world exposure, the sophisticated tactics that they need to develop those.
Speaker 1: Countermeasures countermeasures against them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like this never ending is it's a.
Speaker 2: Cat and mouse give of cat mouse. The cybersecurity landscape is cond instantly.
Speaker 1: Evolving between attackers and defenders.
Speaker 2: Attackers are always coming up with new methods, right, and defenders have to adapt and stay one step ahead.
Speaker 1: So given all this, given all this, yeah, what can organizations actually do?
Speaker 2: That's the million dollar questions.
Speaker 1: To protect themselves? Yeah, from these advanced threats.
Speaker 2: Organizations can't rely on those traditional security measures anymore. Okay, you know your firewalls and antivirus software. Those are important, right, but they're not enough. They're not enough these days, not in today's threat landscape.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what else can they do?
Speaker 2: They need a multi layered approach. Okay, that combines prevention with proactive threat hunting and incident response capabilities.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about it's not just about building walls building walls.
Speaker 2: It's about having eyes on the inside rights actively looking for those subtle signs of an attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to operate under the assumption. You have to that breaches are inevitable, breaches are going to happen, right, and focus on minimizing the impactly those breaches.
Speaker 2: You got to be able to attect them quickly, respond effectively, contain the damage, and recover efficiently. And that's where and that's where red teaming comes in.
Speaker 1: Red teaming really shines. Yeah, right, by simulating those real world attacks.
Speaker 2: By simulating those real world attacks, organizations can organizations can really.
Speaker 1: Thoroughly test their defense.
Speaker 2: Thoroughly test their defenses, pinpoint those weakness and point those weaknesses, and so it's can improve that overall security posture.
Speaker 1: Improve their overall security posture. Yeah, it's like a fire drill.
Speaker 2: It is. It's like a fire.
Speaker 1: Drill, but for cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: But for your cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: And this deep dive has it has been given me a deep.
Speaker 2: Dive, such a deeper appreciation good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 2: For the complexity of cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: It is a complex field, there's no doubt about it and the challenges.
Speaker 2: It is a cross organization's.
Speaker 1: Face evolving field as well.
Speaker 2: But I have to admit it is it can be overwhelming, a little overwhelming to think about.
Speaker 1: It could be a lot to take.
Speaker 2: In the sheer scale and sophistication.
Speaker 1: The threat landscape is constantly evolving. New threats are emerging all the.
Speaker 2: Time of these attacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it is a lot to keep up with. But the key takeaway here is that security is an ongoing journey. Yeah, it's not a destination. You never really arrive.
Speaker 2: It's not like you don't just set it and forget it, check a box and you're done.
Speaker 1: You can't do that with security. It's about continuous.
Speaker 2: Improvement, continuous improvement and resilience.
Speaker 1: And resilience being able to bounce back when those attacks inevitably happen, right because they will, because they will. So by staying informed about those emerging.
Speaker 2: Threats, you got to stay up today.
Speaker 1: Adopting those best practices, regularly testing those defenses.
Speaker 2: Testing is crucial. Organizations can organizations can really reduce their.
Speaker 1: Risks, really reduce their risks.
Speaker 2: You can't eliminate it entirely, but you can manage it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: This has been It has been quite a journey, an amazing journey, a.
Speaker 1: Whirlwind tour of Red Team tactics and techniques.
Speaker 2: Right, we've gone from those basic concepts.
Speaker 1: We've hit all the major points to those.
Speaker 2: Really sneaky persistence techniques. We dug deep and everything in between we did. So we've really.
Speaker 1: Hopefully this deep dive has sparked your curiosity.
Speaker 2: Explored the depths about cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Of hands on Red Team tac days and.
Speaker 2: A constant battle between attackers.
Speaker 1: And a wealth of knowledge about Red teaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always more to learn.
Speaker 1: It certainly has for me. So as we wrap up this final episode, all right, this deep dive.
Speaker 2: The final episode of this deep dive.
Speaker 1: What is the one key takeaway?
Speaker 2: One key takeaway you want our listener, what do you want them to to walk away with to remember remember that cybersecurity is an ongoing process. Okay, there is no finish line.
Speaker 1: You never really arrived, right, It's about continuous learning.
Speaker 2: It's about continually learning, adapting and strengthening those defenses. And for our listeners, there are our listeners out there.
Speaker 1: If you were tasked with defending your organization, if.
Speaker 2: You're in charge of defending your organization from these types of attacks, from these Red Team attacks.
Speaker 1: What would you prioritize?
Speaker 2: What would you prioritize.
Speaker 1: After learning about all these Red Team tactics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would you do differently? What would you focus on?
Speaker 1: That is the question.
Speaker 2: That's the question to ponder, the ponder as we conclude our deep dive.
Speaker 1: As we conclude this deep dive into the world of Red teaming, exactly this has been. It has been truly insightful.
Speaker 2: Truly insightful exploration.
Speaker 1: Exploration into the world of.
Speaker 2: Red teaming, into the world of Red teaming, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us, Thanks for being here on this deep dive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 1: And until next time. Until next time, stay curious, stay in form.
Speaker 2: Stay curious, stay in form, and stay secure. And stay secure.