Speaker 1: Okay, live everywhere on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and the iHeartRadio app is tech Thursday, so you know what that means. Marsha Collier, our tech guru, joins us in studio. As always, Marsha is great to see you. How are you this evening.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, I mean.
Speaker 3: Not tech wise, but it is awfully hard to find interesting tech stories that are actually tech.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I can give a whole bunch of things, and our second story is a little bit on the edge of tech. I found a good one for the beginning segment that we have here.
Speaker 1: What do you want to start with?
Speaker 3: All right, we're starting with Windows Okay, Now, those of you out there who may have Windows ten on your computer, I have it on one of my computers and I really don't want to change. But even if I wanted to change, I wouldn't change because it doesn't have this TPM that it wants that Microsoft wants it to have. Because it doesn't have that chip. So basically, that and two hundred and forty million working machines can go to the landfill. As far as Microsoft is concerned, they don't care, No.
Speaker 1: They don't. They want you to upgrade, not only your device, but your operating.
Speaker 3: System exactly, and they give you all kinds of oh, you're going to be hacked, you're going to be this, you're going to be Remember, you can't get hacked unless you click on something.
Speaker 1: There's that, there's that, and yeah, and the unintended consequences. And you're going to get into this when you update. There's some material changes sometimes in there which will completely change your experience with Windows.
Speaker 3: Well, a long time ago, I lost movie Maker, which was a great yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was so easy.
Speaker 1: Do you remember win app?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my MP three.
Speaker 3: Player right right there was our go to and they disappeared. And bottom line, they're not going to do anything, and they're telling I mean, it's almost like they're threatening us. And I really don't like this Microsoft. I've been loyal, as many of you probably have to Microsoft. They say greater risk of viruses and malware. So you say, okay, so I go out and I buy a top of the line malware virus system.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's say malware bites.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Okay, I use that on all my machines.
Speaker 3: I don't care if there's anything built in, but that's going to cost you the same thing as Microsoft wants to charge you to get the extended security updates for a year, so that you'll be safe if you're running Windows ten, because they're not going to send you any downloads, upgrades, bug fixes. But you're not going to need any bug fixes because you're going to have a stable system to start with.
Speaker 1: I remember back in the day and I was talking to you off air standing. I think my earliest version of Windows, this might have been Windows ninety five or shortly therefore before that, and Windows was a bug magnet. It was it has so many opportunities for malignant, malevolent forces to hack your machine exactly. But it's not like that anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, even if they do have a bug, now, they hold it off and they'll see if a few people get it, and then they'll upload a fix, so you get the fix.
Speaker 2: It's all seamless. You don't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those patches. Yeah, it's different. It's not the same as it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Right, So if you'd like to pay thirty dollars, you can get a year's worth of security updates, which is okay.
Speaker 2: I mean that's if that's your only option.
Speaker 3: That's your only option, but if you want to get it free.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, hold on, did you see like free ninety nine? Did you say free?
Speaker 2: Free?
Speaker 1: Free? Okay, now listen, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: My favorite four letter word.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie of have a different favorite four letter word that starts with F. It's not free though.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, very good there, Stefan, very good. I like that.
Speaker 1: Finally he was listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right, he's.
Speaker 1: Never paying attention. I'm sorry I interrupted you.
Speaker 2: That's okay, he's eating lunch.
Speaker 3: No, so they instead of thirty years, you can sign up and get it, get it for your extended security updates for free if you sign up to back up onto one drive, which will give you one hundred gigabytes of storage four twenty dollars one drive?
Speaker 1: Is there cloud storage? Still, say micracy?
Speaker 3: So right now, if you're a Chrome person or a Google person, you storing on Google Drive right and the price is the same. So okay, we've saved you ten dollars here technically, because the ESU updates will be free if you pay them the twenty dollars for the storage space. So that's all lovely and everything, but I'm still I feel like I'm being blackmailed.
Speaker 1: You are no, no, no, you are, you are. They want to push into a corner where you feel compelled to purchase that they're guilty used, like your machine is not going to be safe without.
Speaker 2: This right right?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was talking to somebody, a manufacturer, a PR pay agency for the manufacturer, and I said, you know.
Speaker 2: Throwing away all these what are they expecting people to do? And they reminded me remember Windows seven? How long did Windows seven stay around? Or Vista Vista?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't It wasn't that great, No state of around forever. Oh by the way, if you signed up as a small business with Microsoft, as you might have done because you were so proud.
Speaker 2: I used to do this.
Speaker 3: I used to sign up as a business because I'm a business, because I'm official. Well, you get to pay more for that's the upside. Yeah, that's the upside. You get to pay sixty one dollars for the extended security updates for one year.
Speaker 1: I have a question of and it's relevant? Is that for a single license?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, and that's only one year, and you can as a business renew annually for two hundred and forty four dollars a year where they put two hundred Where did they pick that out of the air?
Speaker 2: Two hundred and forty four dollars?
Speaker 1: I guess that price point in the marketing meetings showed that that's where people were. Yeah, the most.
Speaker 3: Still pay Yeah, not to forty five, not too forty six, forty three, fifty would have been too cheap. But seriously, now I've got the free answer for you. Have you ever used bing in the Edge browser?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did not have a great experience with edgebrowser, but go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, well, I opened Edge Browser today.
Speaker 3: I got brave because if you use the Edge browser, you'll notice there's something called Microsoft Rewards Points, which basically, if you sign into the browser when you open it up, it keeps track of how many searches you do, and it even has a page. The page is at rewards dot bing dot com in your browser, and you will see all the different things that you can do, like the daily quiz, do a query, do this poll. I mean, it's all kinds of little things and you get points for this.
Speaker 1: I don't dislike Edge, but I don't like the fact that I cannot delete it off my computers. My life depended on it. And also I like how it's I think it's Chromium based. In other words, it works like Google Chrome. You could import all of your bookmarks in your setting, so it's good in that regard. It's just that it doesn't yield the type of experience that I want, and I don't use one drive, so it's not going to be appealing to me.
Speaker 3: Well, recently, I decided to run Chrome the way I normally run it an edge at the same time, and then I opened Taskmaster to see how much.
Speaker 1: Memory Chrome by ten times.
Speaker 2: I was terrified the computer was going to blow up.
Speaker 1: That's what they did. Chrome is a memory hog when it comes to RAM.
Speaker 2: But they have in the newest edition.
Speaker 3: You'll notice the icon or it's favicon is what it's called, is a little bit smaller in some of the tabs that you haven't opened recently, and those are saving memory. They're not loading their memory.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness, because it would lock up my machines all the time.
Speaker 2: So let me just tell you.
Speaker 3: These Microsoft Rewards points and I gave as my fact, gave Daniels screenshot of mind to this morning. And if you have a thousand Microsoft reward points, which is pretty easy to get Let me see, I have like seven over seven thousand.
Speaker 1: Okay, so seven thousand so you can buy Is that like a you get a free keychain? Or do you get something?
Speaker 2: No, you get gift cards?
Speaker 1: Okay is something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get good stuff. But for a thousand points you can get your one year for free.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, thousand. How long did it take you to get there?
Speaker 3: Though? Well, roughly I wasn't working it. You could work it every day. You can get five hundred just for downloading the app onto a phone, so.
Speaker 1: It might be worth it, depending on your pachological system.
Speaker 2: We have two phones. He downloaded the app twice.
Speaker 1: I got a bunch of old phones. I could do that.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, they got a bunch of old laptops as.
Speaker 3: Well, So that's free updates. You don't have to worry about it, at least for.
Speaker 2: A year.
Speaker 1: Free ninety nine. Let me come back. What are we gonna be talking about?
Speaker 3: We're gonna be talking about. Are you enjoying online shopping the same way you used to?
Speaker 1: Actually, I am, that's just me. That's just I know Mark is because he spends half his paycheck. You keep me the hell out of this because you know you have a bad habit like I do, and not so much actually really, but I appreciate you trying to drag me into your bill. Thank you, Stephan. I don't know about that one. Thank you, Stephan, because you tell us all this time you buy this memorabilia and these uh really rare items. Where is this even? How are you why you told us that, you tell us that you're like, I'm gonna get in trouble. I guess you did.
Speaker 4: I get like an occasional old James Bond poster on EBAs?
Speaker 1: So what and it costs more than five dollars? Yeah, it's not like a ten dollars poster. Will you look at the time six forty WeLive everywhere in iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forties Later with Mo Kelly. It's still tech Thursday. So that means we're still joined by Marsha Collier and she previewed before the segment that she wanted you to ask you, so, you know, do you enjoy online shopping? What are some of the components of online shopping that we should be concerned with?
Speaker 3: Or aware of well, the search trying to find something.
Speaker 2: I don't know if a lot of you shop on Amazon, don't we?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: We do? So how many times have you searched for something and you find manufacturers' names that you couldn't even pronounce if your life depended on it every day? And I was looking for an extension cord and I you know, you would think UL approved. That means somebody approved that it is not going to blast your house with fire. Isn't listed, so you don't know if it's safe for everybody in your house. They're not giving enough information. They're relying on a lot of and I'm not picking on foreign countries, but there needs to be some commonality in the descriptions. If you're selling an electronic, you need to have the watts, You need to have all the information that people need. Right, it's not there anymore. And we were just talking about clothes. I used to have fun buying clothes on Amazon.
Speaker 2: It was cheap.
Speaker 3: It wasn't anything like Shane, but it was cheap and fun. Now you buy something and all of a sudden, even the same stuff like a dress I bought last year, of them are just going to wear around the house. All of a sudden, the fabric is like plastic and I have to return it.
Speaker 2: I refuse to keep it. So there's no real quality control. So that's another thing with the clothing. It doesn't say cotton rayon. It might or it might not.
Speaker 1: The clothing is always a crap shoe, especially if it's coming from a foreign country. You just don't know, and it has to be somewhat cheap to make it affordable.
Speaker 2: But doesn't everything come from China on Amazon Air?
Speaker 1: It does, And I think it comes down to what you're trying to buy, you know, like, if I'm going to buy shoes, is probably going to be an American maker. It might have been made in China, like Nike or something, but it's going to be a brand that I trust.
Speaker 2: That's the point.
Speaker 3: And trying to find that brand on Amazon is harder and harder because they mix people pay to advertise up and let's say Sketchers. People pay to have their shoes listed up with Sketchers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, that's why I go direct to the company, Like I'm going to go to Sketcher's site, I'm going to go to Nike's site. I'm not going to sketchers on Amazon, for example, exactly.
Speaker 2: But there's become a disconnect.
Speaker 3: Customer service really almost doesn't exist anymore. I mean, Amazon has kind of made it easy to do a return, but try to talk to anybody. I do have their customer service number, and next week I can come in and give out the number.
Speaker 2: There is a phone number.
Speaker 1: You've got to try it live on air and see if we can actually get to someone.
Speaker 2: Ooh can we do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course we can.
Speaker 2: I like that. We'll do that next weeks.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, people, the sellers do not go the extra step anymore. It you'd buy something, you'd buy something, you'd pay a little more than you'd expect. Sometimes it used to come wrapped in tissue. It used to come package nicely, like the seller actually cared.
Speaker 2: No longer, no stuff is rolling around in boxes. So you've become a user, not a customer.
Speaker 1: Go for with that distinction, user versus customer.
Speaker 3: Okay, as a customer, you walk. Let's you walk into a store, somebody says, hello, what are you looking for?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say they don't even talk to you.
Speaker 3: You can find a person in the store who will answer a question, even if it's just where's the bathroom. You'll be able to interact with somebody. You'll be able to look at a label and understand what the product is made of, what it's warrantied for. You can get all the information. But now you've become a user and you look even at some of the manufacturer's websites, they don't give you the information you need to make your decision. And then you have to go to an FAQ page or maybe you have a little chat thing where you're going to talk to a robot. I don't know how satisfying it that is for you, but doesn't work really well for me, not at all, because actually that technology works really well, but most companies are too cheap to teach their employees or to program the software properly, so it's going to do the job that it's supposed to do.
Speaker 2: And that again, you're just a.
Speaker 1: User getting used. Yep, Marshall Collyer. I love when you come on and make it so understandable, relatable, digestible, sensible, all those ibbles.
Speaker 2: Ah, hell, you're just waiting for the sex doctor.
Speaker 1: I didn't know where that was going that because all I heard was all you're waiting for is the sex that got me? She slowed down on that curve. You just wait for the sex. Doctor, you know, you don't know. But Marsha's husband is sitting in the studio, so it's like it's even more awkward. He is like, do I look at him? Because he's like, because he's behind me something like I can just feel, you know, the hairs on the back of my neck standed up. It's just really really uncomfortable. And she did that intentionally, you know, I try, I try, and maybe that's why you can't see this curve. I need you to stand behind Marshall please so they can see your shirt.
Speaker 2: I gave this to my husband for Valentine's Day, for Father's.
Speaker 1: Day, Valentine's Day, Father's Day.
Speaker 3: Same look at the shirt, Hey, Amazon, one hundred percent cotton.
Speaker 1: The AI camera is struggling because it's trying to focus on one of you, not both of you. It says, best husband ever.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, but I found one hundred percent cotton. Because you ever get one of those we're out of time, but one of those T shirts that oh yes, terrible, yes.
Speaker 1: And if you just move too quickly, just shreds right Yeah. Unfortunately, that's why I'm to your point. I'm very picky and particular about what I get from where, and we all get burned at some point point.
Speaker 2: At some point.
Speaker 3: But luckily I like going to Amazon Fresh, so I like to return things.
Speaker 1: I haven't been to one of their Amazon Fresh.
Speaker 3: We were talking about TJ's earlier. We have to talk about TJ's one.
Speaker 1: I'm very very I don't know simple when it comes to grocery shop and I go where I go, and I'm not trying to go to any boutique place. I'm not going to Trader Joe's by Lards. They're trying to make me go.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was a Trader Joe's on the way home tonight, and they close at nine, so sometimes we zoom in where they're at eight point fifty.
Speaker 1: You know, I get off to ten, right, you know what? Right? He said Laterry mo Kelly from seven to ten Monday through Friday. Yeah, that's I appreciate the thought though. Sorry about that, Marsha, I love you. Don't do that against me. Six doctor Yes, six forty were live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty