Speaker 1: You're watching Chewing the Cud with Mike, Benny and Rome and dominic Berry.
Speaker 2: But I'll slapped by six hour seven dwarfs not happy. Oh hello, and welcome to Chewing the Cut, your lighthearted weekly look at a very rainbow coalidoscope. This week I'm joined by dominic Berry.
Speaker 1: Hello, dominic Hello, it's lovely to be here.
Speaker 3: Good to have you back.
Speaker 1: No, it's always a joy to be here, absolute joy. I'm here to bring you a story about new BBC show Mike. And then are you ready to play a game that's sounded like out of a horror film?
Speaker 2: Niceco well crying like anyway, that's before we can get done to regale us with some poems in spotlight. But on screen now you can see how contact details it's at the coud TV on social media, and if you want to catch up with previous episodes, you can always binge us on YouTube just look for Chewing the Cud and on podcast services too.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and you can see the names of people who've reached out and touched our souls going along the bottom of the screen. And now it's time to get up to date on the things you might have missed from the news in the buzz.
Speaker 3: Do you mind me asking your age?
Speaker 1: I'm very happy to say my age. I'm coming up for forty five.
Speaker 3: Forty five?
Speaker 2: What congratulations? You don't look at day over fifty. Story about a man who has been found in a cave. He's one hundred and eighty eight years old apparently, okay, okay, and he's from India, okay, and he's been found in a cave, and people say, on his own, on his own, he's saying it's one hundred and eighty eight. People going, are we sure, because I mean it looks one hundred and eighty eight When a nice little modesty flap on it, people aren't sure, saying yes, he's definitely.
Speaker 1: So he's on his own. He's the one saying he's one hundred and eighty eight. If you've been in the cave for more than a week, maybe you might lose count.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't know how roughly how old it was. If he's saying how when he was born? Oh okay, yeah, yeah, it's not the same detective, it's detective Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So people go, well, it could be, but it's unlikely to be because that would make him the world's oldest man by a good fifty years.
Speaker 1: I think that you said this is from India, right where they are famed for their not in all parts of India, but meat free diet. A lot of I do speak quite a lot about me being vegan. I think you're a vegan. I think I did not know. I do. I do like I think I'm probably going to make one hundred and eighty nine, nine hundred and ninety on my vegan diet. I think so, Yeah, I think I relate to this. Yeah, okay, I don't think you will wow, break it to me gently, Mike, And what do you want to Well, he looks all right, Well actually, yeah, yeah, I think yeah, I just one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and eighty eight though that's a long time to live.
Speaker 1: I'd like a beard like that. That would be. That would be.
Speaker 3: I think you can get one of those quite quickly.
Speaker 1: No, No, i'd like your beard, Mike. Mine's all like patchy and stuck, not really ginger.
Speaker 3: It's a lie, how lovely.
Speaker 2: I perfectly don't need running water, but sometimes you probably should have it. Moving on, have you ever found something and gone, oh, I like that?
Speaker 1: Oh all the time, I've got that proper like magpie mentality, like shiny thing, shiny thing, and then like obsessed with it, Like what was the last thing you got obsessed with? Ooh the last thing I got obsessed person's bottom. Wow, it's like we're going to go out. If I'm ruling out men's bottoms, then probably like one of them. I'm a big I'm a big gamer g A Y M E R. And I'm not someone whill just like casually plays. That's got Wikipedia find out all the law and you know what year was it released all of that? So yeah, what what what are you speaking of? That's caught your eye?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not what's caught my eye, it's what's caught you know, as people are going in house clearances and just they will take that that and then they sell it on. Well, someone found a painting in a celler right in a cheap, nasty frame, and it said to the woman do you mind me having that? And sure, oh no, take it. It's foul, it's awful, it's going great, thanks very much. Turned out to be a Plicasso, right, So basically the experts goes, no, it's generally in a original Picasso that's been hung in this basement. Four years, decades and the whole family hate it's right, like, oh, it's ugly, it's awful.
Speaker 1: So I heard a similar story. I don't remember all the details, but someone who had just been taping television on vhs for like years and years had a collection like proper collector made a little.
Speaker 3: Bit like our backdrop. This is the gallery.
Speaker 1: Okay, you what's in Dean's lock up?
Speaker 2: It tells you this sort of stuff and is special forever friend, and we don't want to know what that is.
Speaker 1: But in the name of like finding new interests, I was like looking up the history of horror movies in general. I was looking at what was the first horror movie? And a copy of I think one of the first we're talking silent movies. It's like seven minutes long, and it had thought it had been lost to history, and someone had found it in a similar story to this, But the difference between this painting and that is that they'd watched all these vhss and it's how much stuff must get lost, like treasures like this is a really significant part of cinematic history, and it's been found And I watched it on YouTube and it's dead good. It's very camp. I don't think it's meant to be a man is about by going a lot?
Speaker 3: Scary was back then in camp?
Speaker 1: How much stuff must just like go missing forever?
Speaker 2: Well, this painting is worth millions and this person just gave it to the junk seller. Yeah take it.
Speaker 3: I hate it so yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, be careful what you give away.
Speaker 3: That's a big thing there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you have a famous painting, you want to give to me TV on social media and that brings us nice to us. Story of the week. Now, what's your personal stance on hallucinogenic substances.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Mike, I am a person who is teetotal. I have been for over a death, so I'm not just vegan, but like no alcohol. No, I do have coffee and men's bottoms and my two vices. That's it.
Speaker 3: That's just men's bottoms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leave the rest of them.
Speaker 3: You have an old flesh like you'd like to do anything.
Speaker 1: What hallucinogenic marvels have entered the news this week.
Speaker 2: This is a story about an Austrian man right who decided to do some shrooms are being trialed a lot to combat things like ADHD and PTSD. Right, just in small quantities, right, but this mon went I've heard about that research. Let me go and do a shed ton of them. And so while office face on mushrooms, decided, do you know what I'm going to do. I'm going to take an act and chop off my penis, And so I did.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a phone of his penis. There it is, there's his balls.
Speaker 3: Literally got a mushroom here. No, no, there's rooms.
Speaker 2: I've not got a picture of his penis because he didn't just chop it off. He then used an act to chop it off, and then continued to chop it to pieces and popped it in a jar with some dirty snow and soil, because that's what he thought he should do.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not a good advert for shres.
Speaker 3: No, that's not good drugs people.
Speaker 1: This isn't this.
Speaker 2: This is a reenactment, okay, because really normally have their name and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: We don't have his name. Nowhere has reported his name.
Speaker 1: He's still got a bottom, though it's harder to chop off one's bottom.
Speaker 3: If you might have had a go, we don't know.
Speaker 2: But he was only found that that happened because he was wandering with said pieces of penis in the jar right bleeding out.
Speaker 1: There's a real horror theme to today's show, Like when I said you want to play game and it sounded like sore, Like we're just.
Speaker 3: Single shopping off another man's pen.
Speaker 1: I'm a child. When I was young, I was scared of quickly finished that sentence. Sorry. Sorry. When I was young, I like to chop off people's readers. I was terrified of, Like I remember being so scared of the Hollywood movie Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, like the most like delicate, you know, I know, I know, just because there's like arrows in it, and you do see Kevin Costner's bottom in that. You do see it. And I was like, how can something with such a beautiful bottom feature such violence? I was really angry. I was an idiotic child. I remember being in the supermarket and a poster was up. It made you angry, maybe agree, but not exactly. In the supermarket there was a poster up for hell Raiser with pin head on. I remember, I cringe, you, this is true, it's the true story. I grew member say really loudly to my mother, I, as a child should not have to look at an image like that mom in the middle of the supermarket. What what a thing for a child to choose to do.
Speaker 3: I mean, I used to do evil things to my parents. Didn't do that.
Speaker 2: So the famous story of my family is I was playing up in the supermarket on Saturday shop and one basically did what all parents will you behave?
Speaker 3: I fell to the floor cry, I'm sorry, please don't hit me and get.
Speaker 1: Mom that's calculated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, it's like, what do I do at that point?
Speaker 2: I can't like shout at you because it looks like I want to wit you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's all.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mike, And what what a deep insight into our two very different childhoods. Me as a as a political activist for the completely unimportant and you as a as a as a quite manipulative, psychopathistic psychopath.
Speaker 2: And it's a skill that I've brought into my very adulthood. You're welcome, Dominic. Stay right there, because coming after this short break, we get up to date with the celebrity news with Dominic in the shelbies. Oh, welcome back, and you're watching Chew in the cud. This is the part of the show where we take a look into the sparkly side of the world of Celebrity Celebrity by Sean Connery in Shelby's with Dominic.
Speaker 1: Well, Mike, because someone in the performing arts world, myself, I'm always interested in people with a Shakespearean background. Of course, you know, we've lost Maggie Smith, an actress who has a huge legacy of art and talent from a specific traditional background. And Maggie Smith was honored, was honored someone with artistry from a very different background, the drag queen Bend de la creme.
Speaker 3: Ah, Yes, she did when she did Snatch Game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is which, Mike, which is which? I don't know. Great, It's great, isn't it. It's a great likeness of and you know, Maggie Smith before she passed, went on record, you know, celebrating saying that she liked this amazing representation of her through the world of drag, which is good because the traditional background of arts. It's not a given that they all like the LGBTQ community, I know.
Speaker 2: But Maggie Smith definitely did. She's really good friends with Ian McKellen.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that, you know that.
Speaker 2: No, Ernie McCown a lot of stories, so Ian McKellen did a skit on Saturday Night Live a while ago of being Maggie Smith right and just flirting. And I took that old queen and McKellen out and the really close friends and you know, what's what's your favorite Maggie Smith film? Oh?
Speaker 1: She was in Sister Act, wasn't she was it the first one? She was the well the superior of course, of course.
Speaker 3: Boogie woogie on the piano. That was a really bad Maggie Smith.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite Maggie Smith moment? I'll expand the question, not just film.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, So because film, it would be Lady in the Van, Okay, that was a beautifully done piece of piece of film. It was Anna Bennett, which who I love as a writer anyway, but her acting and that was blang coach, I know. I also like Willie's Let's Bring It Back and Dominic like his bottoms.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: This is all all back on screen now it hapends with covered in Martella back there for a moment.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't leave it there.
Speaker 2: My favorite mag it's actually there's a TV like the documentary a while ago with her and Judy Dench and we're talking about you know, getting older and still acting and still working things, and she goes, oh, no.
Speaker 3: It's great. We'll just get all this stuff that Judy doesn't do.
Speaker 2: And it's just seeing her just be completely natural and talk about her life and her career right, and then just joking about the fact that going, you know what, I'm not as well known as her, but I still get her cast off so it's okay, And just the great friendship she had with people.
Speaker 1: That is lovely. My least favorite Chris Hemsworth moment is finding out that in the movie four Love and Thunder, where I had so much enjoyed seeing his bare botty, wasn't he So I thought it was Cchi. It Waschi a lie, a lie, a lie about a man's bottom, the worst kind of lie.
Speaker 3: No, I remember sharing that story with you on the show Similar Reacit.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'll ever get over. I don't.
Speaker 2: I've got the outtakes of the twenty five minute tirade. I don't think you're going to get over.
Speaker 1: Moving on though, Mike. Moving on to other showbiz news this week. Mister Loverman is a new drama which is coming to the BBC that's based on a twenty thirteen novel, and there's a character, Norris de la Rue, and this character is character approaching his seventy fifth birthday, a guy from the Windrush generation, and he comes out at the image of seventy five. So to have this represented here we go, to have this represented in drama is a really fantastic thing. I think that any blackened minority ethnic representation of LGBTQ stuff is to be encouraged and celebrated, because although this is a work of fiction, it's certainly, yes, something that needs to be talked about.
Speaker 3: We very very.
Speaker 2: Rarely get old lgbt Q plus stories anyway, So for it to become of a BME perspective as well, that's even.
Speaker 3: Wasn't he in dark Materials?
Speaker 1: I don't know what a dark materials? It's what is that off? The dark web off?
Speaker 3: I think it was in dark materials.
Speaker 1: I remember in early in my poetic career, I was working for quite a big lgbt Q organization who I shall not name. I shall not name and shame them no other one now I'm not going to say, because I'm going to sag them off. And it weren't. It weren't either of them. It weren't either of them. I'm not going to say, may you keep getting it right, not saying they, oh it was I was asked, right, brilliant, it weren't them. They got me to put more sex in this creative writing. I was specifically asked. And you know, we all go through different phases of our life, and you know, different people have different words they used to identify themselves, and I was kind of thinking, am I a person who's asexual? I was thinking that time, Am I, like, you know, not someone who even wants any of that. I just hadn't seen enough men's bottoms. That was my story. But I was really cross that I was encouraged to make it all be about because that wasn't the story I wanted to tell. There are other parts of our identity, so to have this story represented, I feel very strongly about that, because you know, it's great to have stories about people of all ages, and we do have a lot of stories about younger people on their younger journeys, and I think this is, you know, really important because of the the This seemed really important because of the age. I'm thrilled that this is being made.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry saying that the BBC is actually doing something decent for once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really good.
Speaker 1: I've got one more story for you, Mike, one more story. Now. I am not someone who watches much reality TV show, but I'm aware of The Bachelor. When you say not much, what that means you do watch some what it is you watch? That was me being I don't watch anything I watch.
Speaker 2: I was ready with a big bag of judgment because normally when someone says I don't want to watch, just like I.
Speaker 1: Do watch violent. Yeah, the Bachelor, I believe, is one for the straits. I think you familiar with it. It's the worst type of reality, is it. But the only reason, well, tell me why? So they it off.
Speaker 2: They get an attractive man, right, and some attractive women right, and.
Speaker 1: Then I hate them already.
Speaker 2: The attractive women have to make the attractive man want them, so they do flirty flirty, and then they have a rose ceremony and go, I'm giving euros, but you're not getting the roaster.
Speaker 3: You're going home.
Speaker 2: It's in front of everybody, and it's cuts through and it's supposed to be to find love.
Speaker 3: You can't find love like that. They're not shagging.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: How do you know if you love them until they're inside you. I'm just saying that the worst idea.
Speaker 1: Well, there's one gentleman, no one. The only reason I'm aware of this is because there's a gentleman who was on the batcher. He was the guy, okay, but he's come out. He's come out as a bundle with them. Absolutely, So that's it. I've not seen him on the show, but I have seen him here. So two years later, So this is with his partner, Jordan I think it is the name of his partner. Yeah. So they are together and they're they're going to have a baby together. They're going to have a family that you know that that's their their plan. And you know they look very happy in the photo and.
Speaker 3: They are having a child or they've had a child.
Speaker 1: They have a child.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, cool, Yeah, that's exciting, so new parents. Yeah, it's obviously before that because they have not had they'll have no sleep.
Speaker 3: I'm smiling. Oh, happy, happy, happy.
Speaker 1: That's a person who is a single person. I try not to become that cliche grumpy old to gay who's like, I don't want this in a partner, I want that in a partner, I don't the other. And you know, things that I was more open minded to when I was younger, I'm less super minded. And one of the things is when gay men wonderfully, joyfully, gloriously say I'd like to have children, and I think, ooh, I'm glad that you do. It's not not my part.
Speaker 2: I always had to think that I would want children, but I didn't want to be an old dad. So the ship has for me and children now sailed because I grew up with an old dad and it was that you know, grumpio, going oh, I can't be bothered, or it was like, no, I don't want to be that person, because I am that person now, So.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to have a child and bring them up to me going oh, I just can't.
Speaker 1: Well, I've come to the same conclusion through a completely opposite path. So my mum was a single mom who was a teenage mom who, like in the nineteen eighties, was massively shamed and judged. And I grew up as a kid with a little bit of awareness of that, but also joyful that my mum did have the energy, the enthusiasm, and I looked at other kids who had scored with their parents who were like not wanting to do stuff, and my mom was so up for us going places, going out. We you know, I remember going to like rock concert, seeing Placebo with her, like you know, putting our eyeliner on together, like mother and gay son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, taking a child to place.
Speaker 1: If I'd have an objection, it goes about like fourteen fifteen by this point.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's not too yeah. Yeah, imagine six year old rocking on me.
Speaker 1: Before that was all the Lloyd's Weber or the all the all the cats, all the kind of dressing up with whiskers and all that. Malas playing so much. Thank you for listening to my showbiz Nata Mike, that's wrapping up the show biz. That's all from showbiz for this week. Well thanks for that, Dominic. Always nice to know that celebrities are, you know, getting on doing family things. Coming up soon, we have our game to play one game of the.
Speaker 2: Week, welcome back to you in the cood with me, Mike, ben In Rowe and then Dominic Berry. Now it's part of the show where we play a little game. But before we do, Dominic a little Birdie Kau has told me about a certain something you may or may not have written recently.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, are you going to forgive me? I'm still laughing at your seventh War joke from the start of the show. I'm still chuckling at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one the version that went out on TV or the one I told you that was another TV both.
Speaker 1: That's not broadcasting. Yeah, that's not broadcasting. No, this is not my book, and this book is not any book. That's the best book of my career, Mike. So far, Well, it might take some might take some beating because it's the greatest hits. Okay, it's the very best of dominic Berry. So the oldest time so I'm as established earlier. I'm forty five this year. The earliest pimoneers from when I was eighteen, and it's like a career retrospective.
Speaker 2: Mic, so that would have been how many years ago?
Speaker 1: Oh, my maths, I could do words, not numbers.
Speaker 3: Gary could help out rather just sat there going.
Speaker 1: It's about twenty years worth of work, is it over over two decades? Over twenty years, So that's what late nineties, early two thousands. Yeah, that's right. The oldest poem is ninety ninety eight, so yeah, there's a little year after each poem as well, so there's like five new poems in here. You might even later on give a sneak peek of some of the new stuff, Mike, that might happen, That might happen, who knows, because.
Speaker 3: That's what we're doing in part for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing else planned back on set, just in case anybody wants to know.
Speaker 1: And when's that book available? Oh, good question. I'm doing a big launch for it at the start of December. If you happen to be in Manchester, Manchester Central Library on Thursday the twelfth, twelfth, if that's the If that's the number of the week, that is a Thursday, not numbers, that's correct, that's six o'clock. Yeah, so, and I'm touring all over with it. So yeah, have a look. If I'm a good boil, update my website. I'm very poor at doing that. I should because I've got big talk coming.
Speaker 2: Okay, so your websit will be on screen now, can we say on social media as well?
Speaker 3: Do you keep people stating there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on the Instagram map, the poet Dominic. Yeah cool.
Speaker 2: I'm sure people follow along and catch you where they can. When you're touring, but for now, go away excited?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, day of the week. So we were going to play Uza kazoo. But Dominic, like so many other.
Speaker 2: People, can't play a kazoo, so insaid, we're playing the Gorby game show. Are you comfortable over there? Dominic flies lit up when you see on the ballgag. So what Dominic's gonna do is Dominic's going to sing a song and I have try and work out what it is.
Speaker 3: So I am ready for your first endeavor.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm mm hmmmmmmmmmm mmm.
Speaker 3: Is it tricky?
Speaker 1: Well dop? No?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: What well? Long? Well well fall fall, fall.
Speaker 2: My bitch by the Prodigy, no culture cloth smacking my bit chop?
Speaker 1: Ye shall I tell you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just tell me boy slim right about now? Funk? So brother take it folks, So brother.
Speaker 2: I mean it wasn't in the right tune, but yeah another one.
Speaker 1: Maybe another one? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, oh oh wow?
Speaker 2: Can I get en the number for some support? So might think what you were having there was a.
Speaker 1: Do you want a clue?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's have a clue.
Speaker 1: Right, So I've chosen three songs for you and they're all from a similar era of so they're all from a similar year and they're all of a similar genre of music. Three different groups. So we've had fat boy Slim, so it's someone a bit a bit sim Beck Devil's haircut. No, oh, Moby, I'll give you one final clue. And so the vocalist you don't need to sing again. The vocalist is from a very famous Manchester band who've just reformed, but this is one of their songs. This is e guesting with a different group.
Speaker 2: So this was somebody singing a song that's not where he normally sings. Correct, correct, But that doesn't help because that just tells me that someone sing a song.
Speaker 3: You just tell me, Just tell me.
Speaker 1: It is Noel Gallagher with the Chemical Brothers and let Forever be Top ten hit. Mike, you know it.
Speaker 3: I am aware of the song. Now you said the actual name of the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, I wrote. Do you know it's on my T shirt? It's the Prodigy? Okay, man out fund, isn't he?
Speaker 3: He can't see us for this?
Speaker 1: Well, he didn't do the vocals only only he only danced in this one. This is the one there earlier ones ninety one, ninety ninety one. I don't know. I was l I love everybody viewing will Now, Mike, you're the only person who doesn't want out of space. I'm descending from outer space. Fan another piece.
Speaker 4: I take him out to another dimension, Take to break to another dimension, take close tension. Should I tell Madonna I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what song it is?
Speaker 1: That's a scary thing.
Speaker 3: You just say, I don't know what song it is?
Speaker 1: You do you do? Do I do? I tell me that because I don't.
Speaker 4: Know space spoke Prodigy only like the song of the Night is.
Speaker 1: Saying that was out of Space by the Prodigy. Yeah, yeah, I'm saying that.
Speaker 3: What you just sang?
Speaker 1: I did say it? Yeah? Yeah. You have to give me another song now, okay, okay, right, I'll do I'll do a Madonna song for you right before before work men one night if well, b huh before you for what? O there? They thought? There?
Speaker 2: So normally in this game, we limit ourselves to no more than twenty seconds, and the reason for that is because of royalties and if you play.
Speaker 3: But the good news is no clue what it is.
Speaker 1: Someone have to find out what song is and I go, oh no, that was something similar to what they're not going to be able to. I know Madonna's back catalog, I know the weird stuff. Yeah, it's a mainstream, dear what this is? It was? It was her first ever ballad. The first ever ballad was crazy for you, That's what I was doing. I don't know what you were doing, but it was not crazy.
Speaker 2: For you, speacause I'm chrazy follow that one.
Speaker 3: No idea what you were doing.
Speaker 1: Bom Ah.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that poetry isn't a song. We'll stick around because come up next we have some poetry that not being a song, I promise you.
Speaker 3: In Spotlight.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, and you're still watching Mike and Dominic and chewing the cud. Now we're going to get a little bit of culture. And I'm not talking about what my GP asks for in Spotlight. So I believe you have some poems for Dominic.
Speaker 1: Oh, Mike, I always have poems, and I thought it'd be great to try out one of the new ones, if you're up for that. I'm always up for people experimenting on me. All right, this is the poem that I've written quite recently. The name of this poem is Alie's Lost. I think it goes like this. Here's Ali keeping busy working from his office chair. A colleague makes a quiet, cutting quip about his hair. Last night, he worked so late, he didn't sleep, keeps being tired. The boss says, Ali's slow. He's scared of being fired. He's cut his debt, but feels his work is work for work sake. He's quiet. When he's told work through tomorrow's lunch break to keep this job, he just says yes. He can't take time to rest. He keeps on being pleasant, and he keeps on being stressed. Keep up by cutting sleep. The silent mouth stays shut. What should Ali keep? What can Ali cut? He keeps on cutting caffeine, He writes emails in bed, his nerves and iPod shuffle spice, girls play inside his head with ginger tea. Today's a mental health awareness course. He keeps attending. He's aware of mental health. Of course, there'd be consequences if his feelings made him shout their mental health awareness seems to always be about cutting wrong emotions? Is the goal to just keep glad? Is Alie at fault? If Ali feels bad, keep up by cutting sleep. The silent mouth stays shut. What should Ali keep what can Ali cut?
Speaker 3: Lovely?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: What's that? What's that poem about.
Speaker 1: Having a rubbish job that you hate?
Speaker 2: I just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting my ideas on it.
Speaker 1: I used to really dislike it when I was in school and they do a big long poem about a chair, Look at the chair, look at its legs, look at the back of the chair, and they go, what's his poem about? And I go a chair and the teacher will go, no, it's about religious anarchy. I'm like, what don't you get that? Most of my poems are quite you know, does what it says on the tin?
Speaker 2: And I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sorry projecting my thoughts onto the poem.
Speaker 3: Oh Ali really has a shitty job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel really appreciative. You know, it's been a long old time now that I've done poetry as a job. And I didn't just walk from school into poetry. It was like years of doing office jobs, cleaning jobs, bar jobs, nightclubs, and always writing the poetry. And yeah, yeah, as part of a series of times about Ali, that's not an isolated thing. The book's got four different little examinations of the life of Ali, but I thought that deserved a little snapshot moment. I think it's one that a lot of people can relate to.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, oh yes, very very can yes? Do you have another one? I maybe I'll to relate to.
Speaker 1: This is a poem called Ali's Tallies, and I think it goes like this. Wanna be number one? June ninety six, say You'll be There was September melseeded high kicks two become one. Christmas single top spot was not missed. Mumma next statistics, sooth, so focus on this list. Ali is diagnosed autistic at forty. His own dim lit backstory reckcond All of these memories are rewritten completely to give clearer continuity for this middle aged man. His plan now is to simply be the best Ali he can be. Three years ago, he was sacked for screaming. Instant dismissal left Ali's eyes streaming. His life had been lived in a mask. Every time his own head hur felt far too small for his mind. Ali's loud sounds can cause alarm. He wants understanding. He never wants to harm. When he said he can't help, but scream and cry. Employers have told Ali his words are Alie. They say that his brain is not full to its brim. They say they know Ali's brain better than him. But now this diagnosis is a badge of pride for wanting to wear the same clothes in and outside. A trophy for when he fell, however hard, he tried a bridge over every instruction whose intent was only implied, and embrace instead of fear, for when he screamed and cried. Instead of a boat upon railway tracks, He's gained a train to ride to where he's not called dumb for liking lists a mile wide. Although this does not heal when his condition was denied. You're not strange. Be the change. Spice up your life. Now too much pain, Stop the blame, Ali, You know Howviva forever pride, You're who you know yourself to be. Your neuro spicy in a world can be a joy to see.
Speaker 2: I know what that one's about. I definitely got that one. So what prompts you to write that kind of poem that?
Speaker 1: I think that attitudes and awareness towards autism are really changing. It's not uncommon people who are autistic getting into poetry. And there's kind of like this assumption that autistic people don't have connections to emotions, and you know, it's just different ways of being, just different ways of being. And certainly there is some incredibly emotional, amazing poetry from various neuro diverse artists. And yeah, Manchester is rich, the city in which I live, for being full of poets, many of whom are on that spectrum. And yeah, I wanted to write something celebratory, realistic, full of some of the more challenging things that I know people to whom I'm close have experienced, but ultimately one of of celebration.
Speaker 3: Lovely. So have you got time to squeeze one more in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I won't do any moraliens saying I'll tell you what I'll do one of my old poems, and having ended on a positive note, I'll just do something really gloomy about veganism. Yeah, woooo alright, this is what my old was. I'm not said this for ages. Let's see if I remember it. I think it goes like this protein is a biochemical compound whose name Bazelius found. Von Voitt claimed flesh makes flesh, then sang a sequence insulin peritz prized hemoglobin. The Swedish were impressed more studies on its benefits directed mutagenesis, as Weismann had foreseen now to give these claims such credence does not distract from this grievance. Where do vegans get protein?
Speaker 3: What exactly do you eat?
Speaker 1: It's not healthy, no meat. Such Shakespearean introspection between the facts to delves lament be twelve or not be twelve. Surely that must be the question. When it's simple to eat sensible. The soie bean lacks cholesterol, it's easily fortified and cooked, can taste exceptional, tongue tinglingly sensual. And yes, it does provide protein, as does peanut, butter, black beans, flax seeds, pecans, almonds, lentils, and cashews. And yet this is my beef. I hear debates on my belief. People question what I choose when I don't choose for pigs to feel. I don't believe that pain is real. That's fact, not myth, not needed. So could we an evolution swap those myths for resolutioncy the cruelty superseded for the facts of protein's chemistry. Our documents through history, they're laid out, plain and clear. So I'll hopefully wait for an honest, heartfelt date when protein's myth will finally disappear.
Speaker 3: You're a vegan.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't mention it much. I don't mention it. I don't like to go on.
Speaker 3: NEX should be telling me a teetotal.
Speaker 1: Well, another great poet. Thank you so much for that, Dominic. Oh, thank you, thank you for giving me this space. I really appreciate what joy to share with you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just a green screen there, it's not actually a wolf. You're welcome, and thank you for being an our spotlight. And thank you so much again for those poems on it.
Speaker 1: Oh absolute joy. That's almost the end of the show for now, but on screen you can see our contact details. It is at the cud TV on your social media, and if you want to catch up with the previous episodes, you can always binge us on YouTube looking for Chewing the Cud.
Speaker 3: Thank you for watching and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: Bye.