Speaker 1: So have you ever really stopped to think about how ethical hackers, yeah, you know, the good guy, the penetration testers, how they actually think not just the tools, but their whole strategy.
Speaker 2: Or maybe how much info about a company and maybe even your company is just well out there, yeah.
Speaker 1: Just floating around the digital ether kind of waiting for someone to piece it together into a strategic map.
Speaker 2: It's often a surprising amount, really often lying in plain sight. And yeah, most people don't realize how easily it connects exactly.
Speaker 1: So today we're taking a real deep dive into that strategic world penetration testing. Our mission basically is to give you a solid but you know, digestible overview the key phases, the clever techniques these ethical hackers use. We're going to explore that mindset, the core methods they use to find vulnerabilities, get that initial foothold, stay hidden.
Speaker 2: Move through networks, move through networks, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ultimately pull out valuable information. And the whole point, of course is to make systems more secure for everyone.
Speaker 2: And we'll show you how they turn these like disparate bits of public data into a really precise blueprint for an attack. Okay, and even how they use these well ingenious tricks to live off the land once they're inside, living off the land. Yeah, think of it as maybe a shortcut to understanding the real tactics behind digital defense.
Speaker 1: And where are we getting this from? Well, our insights today they come straight from a detailed guide for the GIA Certified Penetration Tester exam, the GPM.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that solid stuff.
Speaker 1: Methodologies, tools, potential methodologies, practical tools, even real world lab exercises. This is the good stuff, really pulled right from the experts to give you that kind of insider view. Definitely. Okay, so let's unpack this. Let's imagine our target is a hypothetical company. We'll call it Acmecorp.
Speaker 2: Okay, Acmecorp Classic.
Speaker 1: So before anyone tries to break in, there's this really crucial first step reconnaissance pricon. Yeah, it's like being a digital detective, right, gathering clues, particulously building this detailed profile of ACME core M, but without firing a single shot, so to speak.
Speaker 2: And what's really fascinating here isn't just that you can find info, but how easily these separate pieces can be woven together into a well potentially devastatingly precise attack plan. Right, we're talking open source intelligence ocent ocent. Yeah, there are two main flavors, passive and active information.
Speaker 1: Gathering passive and active. How big a deal is that difference? In practice? Does one like lead to the other or for they for totally different things.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a crucial difference, mainly because of the risk involved.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay.
Speaker 2: Passive recon is all about discovery through observation. You stay anonymous, hard to detect. Think of it like watching a building from across the street, just.
Speaker 1: Looking, looking, not touching exactly.
Speaker 2: Active recon, though, that's when you start interacting directly with ACME systems, which is much more likely to create logs potentially get you notice, It's like knocking on the buildings or gotcha.
Speaker 1: So more risk, maybe more reward.
Speaker 2: Potentially both are valuable, but yeah, the risks are different. You usually start passive.
Speaker 1: So what does all this mean for our ACMECORB You're saying you can learn a ton about their tech stack, their people, maybe even their culture just from.
Speaker 2: Public stuff, a tremendous amount. The key thing is every digital interaction leaves some kind of trace. Yeah, and when you add up all these seemingly harmless little traces.
Speaker 1: You get a blueprint.
Speaker 2: You get a blueprint for an attacker precisely like what give me example? Okay, Well, ethical hackers they analyze organizational cultures, sometimes through job posting.
Speaker 1: Job postings really yeah, if.
Speaker 2: ACNCRE is hiring for say a Solaris ten system administrator, boom, that tells you immediately they're using Solaris ten. Some more important, probably data centers. That kind of detail helps define their attack surface, what specific systems might be vulnerable. It's often just unintended data leakage. Nobody thinks twice about posting it.
Speaker 1: That's a really interesting angle using job ads. Is there a downside? Like can companies hide that stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, it's about corroboration, right, You never rely on just one thing. And yeah, companies might try to be vague, but they usually need specific skills, so they have to reveal something makes sense and it goes further social media behavior think LinkedIn profiles for IT staff. Oh yeah, they might detail their experience CERTs, maybe even tech conferences they go to. That's gold for tailoring attacks, especially social engineering. Howso, well, you can craft much more convincing phishing emails if you know someone's specific tech interests or who they know, what events they attended. It makes it personal believable.
Speaker 1: So we've got the human side, the company culture clues. What about the pure tech data, the digital fingerprints from the.
Speaker 2: Machines right exactly? Now we're digging into things like the whois Database woaas.
Speaker 1: Think of it as the public phone book for domain names. It listens on TCP port forty three, gives you registration info for acmecore's domain, contact details, their name servers.
Speaker 2: Okay, basic contact info, basic but essential.
Speaker 1: Did you move on to querying DNS records? The Internet's address books actually.
Speaker 2: DNS records like soa SRV cnamey. They reveal specific domain assets like server names, fully qualified domain names, FQDNS, IP addresses.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you quickly break down those record types? Soa SRV sure? Sure?
Speaker 2: The SOA startup authority tells you who's officially in charge of the domains records, set some rules, scott it. SRV records point to specific services like where's acme's email server or their internal chat SRV might tell you. And cnames are like nicknames, mapping one name to another. But here's the kicker. If Acmecorp has a misconfigured DNS server, oh, it might allow something called a DNS zone.
Speaker 1: Transfer zone transfer. What's that?
Speaker 2: Normally DNA servers keep their full list of internal names and addresses pretty secret. But a misconfigured one you can trick it into dumping its entire internal aggress book the whole network map to you, the attacker.
Speaker 1: WHOA that sounds bad, like finding the entire internal phone directory for.
Speaker 2: A company HQ Exactly like that, a potentially colossal leak gives you a map of their whole internal network structure.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I've heard people mention Google dorking. Is that part of this tech recon Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Google dorking is basically using advanced search operators in Google to find things that aren't supposed to be public. Like what like using say cite dot axmecorp, dot com entitled dot index dot f that might find web directories and admin forgot to secure okay, or maybe entitled dot index dot of uploads that could find directories where users upload files, potentially a place an attacker could drop malicious code or find sensitive stuff someone uploaded by mistake.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've bet pentesters find some embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Stuff that way you can only imagine. So, yeah, Google can be an unwitting helper here, No Google helps.
Speaker 1: What about tools built specifically for mapping devices online, more specialized stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're talking about search engines like showd in and.
Speaker 1: Senses Showdan heard of that one.
Speaker 2: Showdan's often called the search engine for Internet connected devices, not websites, but devices.
Speaker 1: What's the difference really?
Speaker 2: It reviews stuff like open ports, the services running on those ports, device locations, banner data for specific ips or keywords.
Speaker 1: Banner dat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the welcome message a service gives out often includes the exact software name and version. Super useful for finding known vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: So searching showdan for like FTP could show all of acme's exposed FTP servers.
Speaker 2: Exactly and maybe tell you they're running an old vulnerable version. Showdan excels at mapping that Internet facing attack surface. It shows what services are listening, what software they're running. Okay, and sen Census is similar from the folks behind zMap. It maintains huge data sets on IPv four addresses, websites, certificates. These tools let pen testers and importantly defenders too see their own footprint from an attacker's view, what's actually exposed?
Speaker 1: Fascinating the search engine for devices, and it's not just about what's obviously visible, is it? What about hidden data like inside files?
Speaker 2: Ah? Good point, you're hitting on metadata analysis metadata. Even seemingly harmless files, you know, PDFs, jpg images, word docs. They can contain hidden info metadata like what kind of info, things like the version of Photoshop used to make an image, the operating system it was created on, maybe the author's name, creation dates.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Yeah, in a picture file?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Analyzing this with tools like x off tool or even just the basic strings command can give clues, maybe hints about client side software they use, which could have vulnerabilities, or it could help make a phishing email more convincing. Wow, it really makes you think, doesn't it. How often do we share files without realizing what hidden info is tagging along?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really, imagine a competitor or worse, building this detail profile of acme's whole tech setup, even down to software versions their designers use, just from public files. That's the power of good recon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've done your recon. You've built this detailed map of Acmecorp. The next logical step for a pintester that's getting initial access.
Speaker 2: Right right, finding a weak spot, and actually getting inside the network perimeter.
Speaker 1: How does that usually happen?
Speaker 2: Well, exploitation, gaining access. It can take different forms. You can attack servers directly, but honestly, servers are getting much better defended.
Speaker 1: These days, so attackers look elsewhere.
Speaker 2: They often do. The big shift isn't just what they target, but who. With servers hardened, the human element, the user often becomes the weakest link ah the user, So client side exploits targeting the users themselves through things like phishing or malicious websites are really common.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. And once you're in what then?
Speaker 2: While usually you have basic access first, so the next step is often privilege.
Speaker 1: Escalation, escalation going higher up.
Speaker 2: Exactly, move from that basic, low level user access to something more powerful, like becoming an administrator or gaining system level control that lets you access more data, control more systems.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it. And I've heard this phrase for after you get in, or maybe to help stay in living off the land. It sounds like something from a survival show.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, it doesn't, bit, but it's a really critical skill in modern pen testing. Especially inside Windows networks.
Speaker 1: So what is it really in the cyber context?
Speaker 2: Living off the land means using tools and programs that are already on the system, trusted built in applications and binaries, but you use them to do things they weren't necessarily designed for malicious things.
Speaker 1: Usually, why do that? Why not just bring in your own hacking tools?
Speaker 2: Ah? Because the whole point is evasion, blending in, blending in defensive tools like Windows Defender, AppLocker, other endpoint security. They're looking for known bad files, known malicious executables. If you bring in custom malware, it might get flagged immediately, right, But if you use the system's own tools, tools that are supposed to be there, often signed by Microsoft, they're much less likely to raise alarms. You're using the system against itself, So.
Speaker 1: You're turning trusted tools into weapons. Basically, m could you preconxample?
Speaker 2: Sure? Take searchitil dot ex in Windows search it til for certificates exactly. Its legitimate job is managing digital certificates. But guess what it can also be used to download files from the Internet.
Speaker 1: No way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And because searchitol dot etc. Is a standard Microsoft signed program, security software often trusts it it might let it download a malicious file without blinking an.
Speaker 1: Eye, whereas if you try to use something obvious like reigate or a PowerShell download.
Speaker 2: Command exactly, those might get blocked instantly, especially by things like Powershells constrained language mode, which really limits what scripts can do. If it's enabled. Curtitil often flies under the radar.
Speaker 1: So a harmless certificate tool becomes a stealthy downloader. That's clever. But how to defend even spot that if you're using legitimate tools.
Speaker 2: That is the million dollar question for defenders, and it's why this technique is so powerful. This blending in is the whole goal. It's a key part of what miter ATD and CK calls the defense evasion tactic tie zero zero zero five. I think, Okay, the better you are at living off the land, the quieter you are, the less likely you get caught. You make your malicious actions look like normal system activity, even against advanced defenses, even against things like Windows Defenders AMSI, the Anti Malware Scan Interface AMSI. Yeah, it's pretty clever. It hooks into scripting engines like PowerShell and tries to inspect commands before they run, looking for a malicious patterns, but.
Speaker 1: It can be bypassed.
Speaker 2: It can, especially once an attacker has local access. They can use techniques like obfuscation, deliberately scrambling or hiding parts of their malicious scripts to confuse AMSI make it harder for it to see the malicious intent.
Speaker 1: So even AMSI isn't fool proof if someone's already inside and knows what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Nothing ever completely fool proof, but yeah, obfuscation can be effective against it.
Speaker 1: This really highlights that the threat isn't always some exotic new malware. Sometimes it's just the clever misuse of everyday tools already on your machine.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's like being a digital chameleon, using what's there to achieve your goals without standing out.
Speaker 1: For defenders, then it's not just about what tools are running, but how and why they're being run, looking for abnormal use of normal tools exactly.
Speaker 2: Context is everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say our pentester is inside acbecores network. They got initial access, maybe using searchole to download something, and they're living off the land blending in.
Speaker 2: What's next Now they want to expand their reach, move around, find more valuable targets. That's lateral movement.
Speaker 1: Going sideways through the network right.
Speaker 2: And to do that effectively, you need really good situational awareness inside the network, well kind of awareness. You need to gather tons of local info. What processes are running on this machine, what software is installed, what are the detailed network settings? Who else is logged in? What groups does this user belong to? System configuration details?
Speaker 1: Okay, mapping the immediate surrounding exactly.
Speaker 2: You're looking for opportunities, maybe cached credentials left behind by an admin, misconfigurations that let you jump to another server, shared folders.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned not relying on a single tool crucial.
Speaker 2: Because you never know what tools will be available or allowed on the specific machine you land on. You need to be adaptable, no different ways to get the same information, using built in commands or whatever tools are present. Resourcefulness is key, got it?
Speaker 1: And are there tools that help map out the whole internal network, especially complex ones? I heard you mentioned something that visualizes attack paths. That sounds like a superpower.
Speaker 2: Ah? Yeah, absolutely for mapping complex active directory environments, which you find in most large organizations like our acmecorp. A standout tool is sharpound. Sharpound, which is actually the data collector component of the larger Bloodhound project.
Speaker 1: Sharpound and Bloodhound the sound like a cybersecurity detective agency. How do they work together?
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, you can think of it like that. Shartpound is the field agent, the data gatherer. It used to be a mainly PowerShell, but now it's often a sea shard, executable, faster, sometimes stealthier. It goes out and queries active directory and the computers in the domain.
Speaker 1: What data does it collect?
Speaker 2: Things like user accounts, group memberships, who's logged in, where, active sessions, computer configurations, access control lists acls, who has permission to what? Group? Policy objects? GPO's tons of relationship data.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Chartpound gathers all that raw relationship data.
Speaker 2: Then what then that data is fed into Bloodhound. Bloodhound uses a graph database in neofour j usually to store all those relationships, and crucially, it provides a graphical interface to visualize it all.
Speaker 1: Visualize it like a map.
Speaker 2: Ex exactly like a map, but a map of relationships and permissions within the active directory for us.
Speaker 1: And why is that so powerful?
Speaker 2: Because it lets pentest and defenders see attack paths they'd likely never find otherwise. Bloodhound is famous for identifying the shortest paths to domain.
Speaker 1: Admit, shortest path to domain admin. That's like keys to the kingdom, right pretty much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, full control over the entire Windows domain. Bloodhound shows you how seemingly minor connections or permissions can be chained together together. Like it might show you that this random low privileged user account you compromised happens to have an active login session on a server. Okay, and maybe a domain admin logged into that same server recently, maybe leaving credentials cased in memory, or maybe that server has a certain vulnerability. Bloodhound connects those dots. It shows you that path user as server x, domain admin credential nash game over.
Speaker 1: Wow, that visual connection makes all the difference. It's not just lists of users and groups, it's the pathways between them.
Speaker 2: Precisely. It turns abstract permissions into concrete attack roots.
Speaker 1: So from a defender's viewpoint, seeing those ads must completely change how they prioritize security efforts.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely. It's a game changer for defenders too. Instead of just patching random vulnerabilities, Bloodhound shows you the relationship vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Relationship vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: I like that it highlights the critical choke points, which users, if compromised, give attackers easy routes, Which systems are stepping stones to sensitive areas. It lets defenders focus hardening efforts on breaking those specific paths, maybe tightening permissions on a key group, removing local admin rights, segmenting networks better.
Speaker 1: So it guides defensive strategy based on actual attack paths, not just generic best practices.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It helps you prioritize based on real risk revealed by those connections, group membership sessions, acls, GPOs, all the data Sharpound collects.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. It really is like having a dynamic GPS for the entire corporate network, showing all the hidden roads and shortcuts right to the crown jewels.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic example of how critical thinking, data collection, and visualization come together in cybersecurity. It makes complex relationships tangible and actionable in a way that scrolling through logs just can't.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, we've covered a lot today. We journeyed through these crucial phases of a pen test, starting with that detailed reconnaissance, turning those scattered digital breadcrumbs bat Ecnicorp into.
Speaker 2: A full blueprint, right building the map.
Speaker 1: Then gaining initial access, maybe using those clever evasion tactics like living off the land to stay hidden.
Speaker 2: Blending in using their own tools against them.
Speaker 1: And finally charting the internal network, finding those critical attack paths, maybe using powerful tools like Sharpound and bloodhound and see the hidden connections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've really seen how these ethical hackers meticulously transform all these disparate bits of information into a strategic map, not just to break in, but ultimately to help secure these digital environments, make them stronger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the key point, isn't it. The ultimate goal of a penetration test isn't just finding flaws. It's about providing that critical intelligence needed to build tougher, more resilient defenses.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's proactive security.
Speaker 1: So maybe final thought for everyone listening, what hidden connections, what overlooked details might be lurking in your digital environment right now, just waiting to be discovered.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Makes you think?
Speaker 1: It's a powerful reminder. I think that real security isn't just about building higher walls around the perimeter. It's also about understanding all the pathways, the obvious ones and especially the hidden ones that could potentially lead an adversary right to your front door, or maybe even inside already