Speaker 1: What evil works in the hearts of men?
Speaker 2: The Shadow.
Speaker 3: Now and now for another thrilling adventure of the Shadows. Today's story the Night Marauders. The Shadow, the serious character who furthers the forces of law and order, is in reality in the Monk Crimson, wealthy young man about town. The Shadow uses his hypnotic power to cloud men's minds so that I cannot see him. Cranson's friend and companions, the lovely Marko Lane, is the only person who knows to whom the unseen voice of the shadow below.
Speaker 2: As the scene opens.
Speaker 3: In our story, it is nice, dark, still night. We find ourselves the unseen observers of two vague figures, moving almost silently across the window sills and into a darkened bedroom where lies a sleep of beautiful girls at peace with the words them out of the sill. H oh oh, hello, darny, what.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 2: Are you all right?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 3: A short powerful man, a monster but dreaming though?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They rans like your whole room.
Speaker 4: That sounds like the Night Marauders.
Speaker 3: Margo, I'm coming right over as soon as I call Commissioner Western. Now, don't worry, I'll be right there.
Speaker 6: Goodbye, Yes, I guess so, my throat's a little bruise.
Speaker 5: Yes, one of them had your fingers wrapped around my neck.
Speaker 2: Horrible.
Speaker 5: I guess that's what's known as getting fingerprints the hard way.
Speaker 3: Now this is no joking matter, muggle.
Speaker 5: I'm aware of that every time I swallowed.
Speaker 3: Did you see what they look like?
Speaker 5: Only the one by my dead but I could hear the other one calling around the room.
Speaker 3: Oh, cray, what are the one by your bed looked like?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: The best description I can think of at the moment is Frankenstein's homely brought it?
Speaker 6: It is quite sure.
Speaker 5: What was long arms gonna.
Speaker 7: Really beat your feet?
Speaker 2: Want an ugly description?
Speaker 5: It was an ugly face.
Speaker 4: That's probably Commissioner Western.
Speaker 3: I asked him to come over, commissioner.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Question, how are you, miss Lane?
Speaker 5: All right now?
Speaker 8: Thanks? Oh?
Speaker 4: Where did it happen?
Speaker 5: Right in here in my bedroom?
Speaker 4: Did they take anything of value for a.
Speaker 5: Few years off my life?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 8: Tell me just what took place, miss Lane.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm a little hazy as to detail. You see, I was asleep and I was dreaming about punkin Pie. What honest punkin Pie? You know, the kind of mother never.
Speaker 9: Made ah, yes, miss Laine, but tell me about your waking moments.
Speaker 2: Don't you like punkin Pie?
Speaker 9: I adore punkin Pie, Miss Layne. But this is a police investigation, not a cooking press.
Speaker 2: I'll listen to your dream later, Margot.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: I was awakened by the realization that something was grasping my throat, and it incidentally wasn't punkin Pie.
Speaker 8: Miss Layne.
Speaker 5: Please, I started the scream, the man put his other hand across.
Speaker 4: My mouth, and then the other man ransacked your room.
Speaker 8: Is that right?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: How do you know?
Speaker 4: I ought to know the same.
Speaker 3: Two eternal nimrods have been driving Commissioner Western and his department slightly insane.
Speaker 2: It's not that bad, Grandon.
Speaker 4: We'll have them both under lock and.
Speaker 8: Key any day now.
Speaker 4: Oh, then you know who they are?
Speaker 8: Well, not exactly.
Speaker 4: Do you even vaguely know who they are? Well exactly, Commissioner.
Speaker 9: We know how they work and well, and you know their burs Yes, we know they. I mean the apartment always catches up with crimes.
Speaker 8: Ms Layne.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd like to catch up with these criminals myself. Commissioners, if you need a running mate, I wish you count on me.
Speaker 2: And all.
Speaker 8: Thanks, but I appreciate your offer. There is just one thing I think we should know before I leave, Miss Layne.
Speaker 7: Yes, Commissioner, I really do like funk and pie.
Speaker 8: Good night.
Speaker 5: Well it was a nice, chummy little investigation, but I failed to see that it proved anything.
Speaker 4: It didn't.
Speaker 3: And Western's pretty worried.
Speaker 5: Too, Lamont, I don't like that glint and your ry. Are you going to get mixed up in there?
Speaker 2: Definitely?
Speaker 4: Oh am, Now you go back to bed, Margo.
Speaker 3: I'll come over in the morning and we'll figure out how the Shadow can track down the night marauders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Margaret, you don't know how fortunate you were last night. What do you mean, lamar Reme, look at this newspaper.
Speaker 3: Night Marauders turned to murder. Yes, the body of John Kenyon was discovered this morning by his ballots. He'd been brutally murdered sometime before dawn to day.
Speaker 4: Due to the deep bruises on his throat.
Speaker 3: And the fact that his bedroom had been ransacked. Commissioner Western admitted that the night Marauders were unquestionably give.
Speaker 7: Thee oh man, it might have been a Yes.
Speaker 4: Margot, may I use your phone?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm gonna ask Weston again if I can work with him.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want me.
Speaker 3: I'm going to work on this case by myself.
Speaker 6: You can't tell the mark.
Speaker 5: Maybe he'll make you a special deputy or something.
Speaker 4: Hello, pleased the pardon. I'd like to speak the commissioners please.
Speaker 3: Commissioner Weston, No, no, no, Western w E S t O N. You know the head of your department? Yes, Thursday Thursday operator said he tried to find him.
Speaker 5: That's fine. They're supposed to catch criminals and they can't even find their commissioner.
Speaker 3: Hello, this is Clemston, Commissioner. I just leart about the night Marauder's latest crime, and I'd still like to lend a hand in running them up.
Speaker 4: I think that I could.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see you are not running in school for detective man. Goodbye, nice fellow.
Speaker 7: Did you read this Lamont.
Speaker 5: Henry Burns, an employee of the city, is quoted as having seen two figures lead from Ken's window at about the same hour that the crime was committed.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 4: That's something to work on.
Speaker 5: We wouldn't trying to do.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised if the Shadow payde a call on Henry Burns tonight.
Speaker 11: Thanks for making sure I got home safely. I guess you can go now off to.
Speaker 12: Hano How until I take a look around your apartment, mister Burns, Now you're still neghbous, up from out nervous.
Speaker 4: How would you like to be locked up.
Speaker 11: All day in a room the size of a cigar box, an hour after hour, faced the inquisition of questions hammet at your head.
Speaker 8: Now they were only trying.
Speaker 11: How would you like it, Anthony? How would you like it?
Speaker 1: Say?
Speaker 4: Look, mister Burns, you'd better take it eat.
Speaker 7: I'll be dead before morning.
Speaker 12: And no one's going to kill you, mister Burns, not with me on the job. I'll be right downstairs.
Speaker 8: Good night.
Speaker 2: Wasn't well, mister Burns?
Speaker 4: Who said that?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 4: But where are you? Who are you?
Speaker 1: I have the shadow.
Speaker 7: Shadow, I've heard of you, but I can't see you.
Speaker 1: I cloud men's minds so they cannot see me.
Speaker 7: Oh he did that to me?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll see here, mister Burns. I haven't come here for any other purpose, and to act as your friend to help you.
Speaker 7: Please believe me somehow, I don't believe this shadow.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Then tell me what you saw last night?
Speaker 4: Oh? I can't. I can't.
Speaker 11: I tell you, I just can't why.
Speaker 4: I was hoping that you'll be different.
Speaker 7: From the rest, But it's just the same series of questions. What did you see?
Speaker 3: What did they look like?
Speaker 1: Mister Burns? I came in with you and the officer that escored you hole. You told him you expected to.
Speaker 7: Die, Yeah, to die. Yeah, that's right, I expect to be killed. I'm not afraid to die.
Speaker 1: Since you're not afraid to die, mister Burns, Why shouldn't you tell me what you saw last night.
Speaker 11: And thought of it that way? As long as it's going to get me anyway, why shouldn't I tell?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 11: Right, I did see something. It was horrible, shadow horrible.
Speaker 2: I tell you, don't be afraid. Well, I I.
Speaker 7: Was walking home.
Speaker 11: I passed the apartment house where the murder was committed. I heard a weird call and unearthly sound from nowhere.
Speaker 4: I turned and saw two figures that appeared.
Speaker 11: Silently from a second story window. They slipped to the ground without a sound, and hurried, half running, half walking, disappeared in the shrubbery across the street at the edge of the pot. One of them was short, massive, unbelievably horrible to see and the other in his hands.
Speaker 1: What is that a piece of rock with some paper tied to it?
Speaker 7: I know, I know it's the Night Marauders. I know it's from them.
Speaker 1: Read it, Pick it up and read it?
Speaker 7: All right? All right, dead men and wise men say nothing.
Speaker 11: You have the choice of being either dead or wise signed the Night Marauders, Dead or wise.
Speaker 1: What's the note on the table?
Speaker 2: All right, it's the first clue.
Speaker 1: And from that very scrap of paper, the police may be able to get fingerprints. A hundred lives to the solution of these kinds may.
Speaker 4: Be a right.
Speaker 11: Maybe the police could find the night Mrads, hurry, take it, Take it to the police.
Speaker 7: That note may save my life.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 1: And now, mister Burns, I suggest that you try to get some rest.
Speaker 4: The police are on.
Speaker 1: God, you're save it up here.
Speaker 13: I guess you're right.
Speaker 7: You go out this way, good night.
Speaker 1: Good night, rest well.
Speaker 7: Rest well, h dead man and wise men say nothing.
Speaker 4: Mister.
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 7: How you pick?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh? Here we are? Oh?
Speaker 8: Look at the poor devil?
Speaker 13: Is he dead?
Speaker 9: Don't look at the body?
Speaker 5: I can't stand me?
Speaker 3: Quiet quiet, breeding a little quite, stand back?
Speaker 8: Bris can you hear me. Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Shadow?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 8: A shadow?
Speaker 3: Oh, he's the guy behind the Riddle of the Night.
Speaker 8: Marauders Murphy Murphy, Yes, let me.
Speaker 9: I want to rist of every piece of jewelry that the Night waters and stolen from ever. Yes, have then ever turned up at the pawn shop chat. No, it's another piece we've been check going to be spent for mon.
Speaker 2: Yes, good morning, Commissioner.
Speaker 1: I believe you're looking for me for the murder of Henry Bird.
Speaker 2: Who's this the shadow, Commissioner?
Speaker 8: The shadow? Yes, but have this called recent once?
Speaker 9: Every squad car and tower action right now?
Speaker 2: Where What did you say, Shadow, Commissioner?
Speaker 1: I know you're having this trace. I was in Henry Burn's apartment. While I was there, a stone was thrown through the window. It had a note attached to it.
Speaker 2: We didn't find any note. I know you didn't.
Speaker 1: I have the notes. I'll send it to you tomorrow. I'd better hang up now. You may trace this call faster than I anticipate. Goodbye, Commissioner.
Speaker 8: Wait, waits trace the call?
Speaker 9: Yes, squad car run away?
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 3: The car came from the phone boots here in head class, here in headquarter.
Speaker 9: Where did you get him there was no one in sights.
Speaker 13: This is great.
Speaker 9: The shadow is now insulting the department with the department Old Nicols.
Speaker 2: Parks beautiful to night is.
Speaker 5: What good does it do?
Speaker 8: Mean?
Speaker 5: Don't be alarms, I'll behave you know the moms I made a dreadful mistakes last night? Well, I just remembered. It wasn't the kind of pumping pies that mother made at all?
Speaker 4: What wasn't the kind of punkin pies?
Speaker 2: What dreams?
Speaker 6: It was apple jump playing?
Speaker 9: That wasn't actually mean?
Speaker 5: I never made me think it was costant a driver I.
Speaker 3: Watch up A card blows pract Commissioner Western, you gave us a scare.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm sorry, commission I was just telling the month. It wasn't pumpkin pie at all. Last night it was apple dumpling?
Speaker 2: What was which I dream?
Speaker 4: Commissionating?
Speaker 9: Well there I recognize you too riding along, and I thought i'd give you a little.
Speaker 8: Tip on detecting miss Brampton.
Speaker 4: Really and what's that while you're driving.
Speaker 9: Around the part or a breath of fresh air, enjoying the sunset after a good dinner and.
Speaker 4: The very good dinner, it was two commissioners.
Speaker 9: I'm driving around of the park, because after analysis, I discovered that all of the climes of.
Speaker 8: The Nightmaders have taken place within a block of the park. What do you think of that?
Speaker 4: Where is that what you call a clue?
Speaker 2: Commissioner?
Speaker 8: Is that what I call it?
Speaker 9: It's the first significant fact we've on earth?
Speaker 5: Do you really think that the shadow is guilty?
Speaker 7: Commissioner?
Speaker 8: What else am I to think?
Speaker 9: He tried a misleaders today by calling up about some phony letter. And furthermore, I think he's right here at his part.
Speaker 8: Oh no, yes, sir, that's what I think, And I.
Speaker 9: Have a hunch we'll pick him up tonight.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm must be going bye bye.
Speaker 5: Oh maybe he's going to be you to the punds.
Speaker 4: After all, if you've got something.
Speaker 3: Demand you're white?
Speaker 4: Is a sheep?
Speaker 5: Did you hear that weird call?
Speaker 4: But what about it?
Speaker 7: That's the call I heard last night.
Speaker 5: I heard it while that man still had his hand on my throat, and when he heard it, he looked up and then let.
Speaker 3: Go Meetly, are you sure it's the same call?
Speaker 7: Oh the monk?
Speaker 5: Do you think I could forget one the tail of.
Speaker 2: That office series?
Speaker 9: Stop here, sir, came from over the end of the zoo and we're gonna walk a bit.
Speaker 4: We'll be back shortly.
Speaker 1: Very good, sir, don't you get longer?
Speaker 3: And Margo, On second thought, I think you'd better go back and stay in.
Speaker 5: The carriage all right, Oh but be careful a month please, I'll.
Speaker 10: Be as quiet as a shadow. Get back, Freddy, get back. You want me to kill your caves, don't you?
Speaker 13: Yeh, that's better.
Speaker 2: Now you stay over there where you belong.
Speaker 13: Fordy. You know, Faddy, your.
Speaker 2: Aws very interesting playmates.
Speaker 3: Oh you're a little rough once in a while, but when you figure it out, you're quite like a human. We've been friends for a long time, ain't Faddy.
Speaker 2: I remember when you friend here?
Speaker 10: Yes, you were just a little fellower. Now you're a full brown gorilla, the finest specimen in captivity. Why you weren't any bigger than jocko Ah, if you can only read Freddy, did you laugh too? Do you know what the papers said today, Freddy? They said that the Shadow killed that man last night?
Speaker 1: Yes, chilly fool. If the Shadow had just Frank to do what you did to that man.
Speaker 10: But why should he get credit.
Speaker 13: For those murders?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 10: But it's just as well, until you get more experienced forad yes, yes, then then no one will take for the hour.
Speaker 13: You know, Freddy, we can rule this whole city. And you know how ready you.
Speaker 2: Know?
Speaker 11: Now what's the matter with you?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 13: What's the matter with you?
Speaker 1: It's the shadow?
Speaker 4: Shadow?
Speaker 1: Where are you here in the cave with you and your gorilla?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 13: You're the man nobody can see?
Speaker 2: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: I've been standing here listening to you to talk to your.
Speaker 10: Friends, Freddy, you've heard everything I said, Yes, and we keep us all.
Speaker 2: We talk to our animals there.
Speaker 10: They are more quiet when they hear our votes.
Speaker 3: Don't make a difference what we say, just so.
Speaker 10: Long as we charge.
Speaker 3: Now what I said meant nothing, Shadow, nothing at all.
Speaker 10: Now, now, Shadow, you and Freddy are locked alone in the cave, and.
Speaker 3: He knows you're in the cage.
Speaker 10: You may be able to apnotize my mind, so I can't see you.
Speaker 4: But you can't do it to.
Speaker 10: A gorilla, can't.
Speaker 8: You're right, I can't.
Speaker 10: Oh the shadow is gray, but you will be because in a minute time point to tell Freddy to kill you. But I thought maybe you'd like to ask me about the night marauders. Shadow may I present the night marauders, Little Jacko, the monkey, who isn't the cage down at the end, Freddy the Gorilla, and their trainer and brave closest. Tell because it's a pleasure to at last to be able to introduce.
Speaker 13: Us, even if it is only to a doom man.
Speaker 10: Yeah, tell me, Shadow, Will you.
Speaker 13: Be visible after Freddy kills me?
Speaker 1: M hm, that remains to be seen. But tell me more about your crime, Joseph Shancro.
Speaker 13: They're not crimes.
Speaker 10: They are adventures. They're not quiet prey quiet. It's man quite time, Shadow, I'm going to be a great power.
Speaker 8: Power through fear, is my mutto.
Speaker 1: Why did you turn to murder? I was tired of taking jewelry.
Speaker 2: I wanted a new adventure.
Speaker 4: I have all the jewelry I need.
Speaker 9: Right now, hidden beneath you, belief the kase you're standing in.
Speaker 13: But now Shadow comes the newest of my adventure. I am going to see you, jud.
Speaker 10: You know too much to be high as I'm tired of talking to Oh, this is going to be fun.
Speaker 7: There's many, amusing many now.
Speaker 10: The I am killed kill Penny kill?
Speaker 8: How did you hear it? Kill him? As to kill him? Well?
Speaker 1: Joseph Shanko, your power is gone. Your gorilla will no longer do what you want. You'll him, he will not obey you anymore, Joseph shank Here, I too know and understand animals. Freddy won't kill me.
Speaker 9: He will ready cheer him.
Speaker 10: You won't hear me coming in there with a slip.
Speaker 8: I'll put you the ribbons, Suddy.
Speaker 7: Then you know who you're not.
Speaker 10: You don't open the door, stay out, stay away from him, and you learn your masters here.
Speaker 7: Don't hit him? Then you you what I kill you. I'm gonna tell.
Speaker 2: You like you know.
Speaker 9: You do what I say?
Speaker 4: Cheery, cheer.
Speaker 9: All right, say like me playing.
Speaker 8: Hey are you all right?
Speaker 10: Chris Laine?
Speaker 5: Yes, oh, commission Where did you buy those shop?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: I did.
Speaker 9: I are standing behind that tree just a second.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 8: I'm starting the cake door. Shadow is in here.
Speaker 4: It's a great moment for me.
Speaker 9: The gorilla is dead a night marauders or no more, and I have at last caught the shadow.
Speaker 2: Not quite good, Commissioner, Shadow.
Speaker 8: I was right here.
Speaker 9: I heard everything that went on between you and jord Of Kancrow. I know you're not guilty of murder, but still a lot of things I want to know about you, and you won't get out of that cage until I find them out.
Speaker 1: But I am our Commissioner. I came out when the gorilla escaped, and if you don't believe it, you'll find a bullet in the back of the gorilla that didn't come from your. Better luck next time, Commissioner Chris Layne.
Speaker 9: If if you were not here, I'd say a few things that no gentlemen should never say.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't mind you do say them, but let me first say thank you for saving my life.
Speaker 9: Well, I did my bit, but I'm afraid that some of the banks belongs to the Shadow.
Speaker 4: So help me.
Speaker 9: Someday I'm going to find out who he is.
Speaker 3: Lam I hurt shop. Really, he didn't hurt you today, No, Laman, he was dead before he got near me.
Speaker 5: The Commissioner saved my life.
Speaker 4: Well for that, Commissioner, I shall never be able to thank you enough. Sir, Are you wanting on the kill Lamont?
Speaker 9: In case the night Maaders has been solved and Lamont, except for a very bad break, I would have been able to introduce.
Speaker 8: You to the Shadow.
Speaker 2: Really, Commissioner, I can think of nothing.
Speaker 3: More interesting than to have you introduced me to the shadow, the weed of crime.
Speaker 1: There's bitter fruit. Crime does not say
Speaker 2: The shadow