Speaker 1: Hi, this is Pastor Rick Warren. You know, the Bible says that God's mercies are new every morning. That means every day you get a chance to start over, new day, new vision, new goals, new mercy. That's good news. We're going to be talking about it all year here at Daily Hope. So God bless you everybody. I'm glad you're listening today and stick with us through the whole year.
Speaker 2: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible teaching ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in a series called Transformed. In these lessons, Rick uncovers key principles found in God's.
Speaker 3: Word that will completely.
Speaker 2: Transform our lives from the inside out in every area including spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial, and vocational. Now, if you can improve in any of these areas I just mentioned, stay with us, because in just a few months moments, we're going to let you know how you can have your very own Transformed study kit from Pastor Rick, which includes a seven session DVD and workbook. You can take a sneak peek right now by going to Pastororik dot com while you listen, and if you want, you can just text the word daily to eight hundred, six hundred, five thousand and four to find out more. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part two of a message called From Stress to Blast.
Speaker 1: You will spend one third of your life asleep. Now, if God's only going to give you sixty eighty one hundred years here on earth, why wouldn't he give you one hundred percent of the time. Why would one third of that time be wasted in sleep? Because God wants you to learn the importance of rest. Rest is so important. God rest. God modeled it when he created the whole universe. The Bible says that after he finished all creation, it says, on the seventh day, God rested. Now, why did God rest? He wasn't tired. God doesn't ever get tired. He was modeling the importance of rest to your life. And he says, every seventh day you rest. And he said, that's what God did. He modeled it. Now, the Bible's filled with instructions about rest, recreation, and relaxation. In fact, it's so important. God put it in the Big Ten. It's in the ten Commandments, right up there with don't commit adultery and don't murder and don't lie.
Speaker 3: He says, every seventh day you take a day off.
Speaker 1: Hello, that's how important a sabbath is in your life. Jesus later said the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. In other words, God says, I created this idea if you take a day off every seven days for rest, recreation, worship, and restoration. He goes, that's my idea. It's for your benefit. It's so you don't burn out. And yet today, in our modern society, people aren't doing that. Even on their day off, they're working. And a lot of people, even if they go to a church service, then they go home and they go right back to work trying to get done all the stuff they didn't get done during the work week. That's not a sabbath. That's not a sabbath. Now, God says, I want you to rest. Psalm twenty three, verse two says this he makes me lie down. Circle the phrase makes me He says, God makes me lie down? Has God, I've had to make you lay down because you aren't smart enough to obey what he says about rest and take a day off every week. You know, sheep aren't smart enough to rest when they get tired, so the shepherd has to make them lay down. And if you're not smart enough to get the rest you need and take a day off every week for rest, your body will make sure you do it. And God has wired your body in such a way that if you don't take time off, your body will make time off. Anybody want to give a testimony on that. If you just keep working, working, you're going to get sick. Because God wired you to obey his commandments. Getting enough sleep is essential to stress management. I want you to write this down. My best requires rest. You are not wasting time when you're relaxing. You're not wasting time when you're resting. It is better to have loafed and lost than to have never loafed at all. That's why God gave us a sabbath. And here's the Sabbath Exodus thirty four to twenty one. Six days are set aside for work. But every seventh day you must rest completely. Circle the word completely. You must rest completely. Even during your seasons of plowing and harvest, you must observe a Sabbath day of rest. Notice that even in your busiest season, it's no excuse you may be a tax accountant and it's April, you still have to take a day off.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean you may be a retailer and it's Christmas season, you still have to take a day off. You may be a farmer and it may be a harvest or planting season. You still have to take a day off. Now, what am I supposed to do on my Sabbath? Three things? Write these down. Here's three things you're supposed to do on your Sabbath. Number one, rest my body. You need to rest your body physically.
Speaker 3: Rest.
Speaker 1: There's a biblical basis for a good Sunday afternoon nap, right there. Number two, just not when I'm speaking. Number two, refocus my spirit. I rest my body on the Sabbath, and I refocus my spirit. And what is that? That's worship. It's what you're doing right now. You are refocusing your spirit right now by coming to worship, and in corporate worship, we recharge and refresh our spirit. And number three, I am to recharge my emotions. Use the sabbath to recharge emotions. That's what recreation does. It recharges your emotions. Now, different things recharge different people, and we'll talk about that in just a minute.
Speaker 3: About how you.
Speaker 1: Need beauty in your life, but you need you need to do something that restores you and re energize. It could be a hobby, it could be a sport. These are good things that God has given us as gifts in order to recharge your emotions. You know, it doesn't really matter which day is your Sabbath. In fact, the Book of Colossians in the Bible says it doesn't matter which day you choose. You just need to choose to day. My sabbath is not Sunday. Sunday is a workday for me, by the way, so is Saturday. My sabbath is Monday. And on Monday, I rest and I refocus and I recharge and that's and I don't do any work on Monday. That's my sabbath. And by the way, I don't call it your day off, because if it's your day off, you'll cheat on it. And you said, oh, I got all these things they need to do, I'll do this. But if it's your sabbath, then you use it for what God intended. He said, but I feel guilty when I relax. Well, Jesus didn't. When you study jesus ministry, he often took time off to relax. In fact, he'd go out into an entire period of intensive ministry and then he'd say, guys, we need to come apart for a while. We're going off to the mountains. We're going off the desert. We got to come apart. And I always say, if you don't come apart, you're going to come apart. And he said, let's go off to the desert. He goes out there where there's these springs and those those date palms, palms and springs and palm springs. There's a biblical basis for going to palms right there. Okay, he says, go off to the desert and we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Go relax for a while.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they didn't have a jacuzzi to sit in, but it would have been nice. But Jesus didn't feel guilty about it. Did you know that during the French Revolution they canceled the French government canceled the sabbath and said every day is going to.
Speaker 3: Be a workday.
Speaker 1: And after a couple of years they had to reinstate it because the health of the nation had crumbled. You need this in your life, you need a sabbath. I heard about a guy who said to his pastor. He said, Pastor, I tried to get a hold of you all day on Monday, and the pastor said, well, I'm sorry, it's my day off. And the man said, well, the devil never takes a day off, and he said yeah, and if I didn't, I'd be just like the devil. And some of you that's why you're so mean. You're not getting enough sleep, you're not getting enough rest, and you're a little devil because you're not taking the Sabbath.
Speaker 3: And the devil's not your model. Okay.
Speaker 1: Number three, I looked to God to meet on my needs. The Lord is my shepherd. I obey God's instructions about rest. He makes me lay down, lie down. Then number three, I recharge my soul with beauty. Beauty is an incredibly important thing in stress management. Ugliness stresses you out. Beauty inspires, Beauty encourages, Beauty motivates, Beauty stirs up positive emotions.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope Rip will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. You can sign up for Pastor Rick's free email devotional at Pastorick dot com. That's Pastorick dot com.
Speaker 5: Have you ever noticed that the world has ever changing so called answers to your relationship struggles, solutions to your financial troubles, and explanations to your search for meaning? But what the world offers often leaves us empty and searching for more. The good news is God's Word contains timeless truths that can transform every area of your life from the inside out.
Speaker 6: That's why Pastor Rick created a very special Bible study called Transformed. In it, he'll help you discover the key Biblical principles that will completely transform you by changing the way you think. Pastor Rick covers every area of your life spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial, and vocational, filled with weekly lessons, daily devotions, and exercises to help you go deeper in God's Word. This seven week DVD and workbook study is perfect to do on your own or with a small group of friends. We'll send you the Transformed Study kid as our way of saying thanks when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the certain Hope of Jesus to people around the world. To get your cop be of this great resource, call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four, or go to Pastorick dot com that's eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four or pastirick dot com.
Speaker 2: Once again, here's Rick.
Speaker 1: I look to God to meet all my needs. The Lord is my shepherd. I obey God's instructions about rest. He makes me lay down, lie down. Then number three, I recharge my soul with beauty. That's the third thing you need to do. Recharge my soul with beauty. Beauty is an incredibly important thing in stress management. Ugliness stresses you out. Beauty inspires, Beauty encourages, Beauty motivates, Beauty stirs up positive emotions. Have you ever thought about why God made the world so beautiful?
Speaker 3: And you look at.
Speaker 1: Sunrises and sunsets, beautiful flowers that are never even seen, and all of these sites around the world that many people will humanize.
Speaker 3: We'll see, but God created a world of beauty.
Speaker 1: He could have made Earth just like the moon, just a moonscape, or like Tattooine.
Speaker 3: For those of you who don't know Star Wars.
Speaker 1: That's the desert planet that Luke was from Skywalker, and he wanted to get off that planet really quick because it's pretty ugly. Anybody should have go on about the gospel. According to Scar Wars, he could have made it just a desolate, dusty, gray planet.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: No, God created a planet with vibrant colors. Have you ever heard anybody say? I heard it the other day when I was actually last summer, I was on vacation up in Yosemite. We were under some redwood trees, and a man said to me, I feel so close to God in nature.
Speaker 3: Well, of course you do. He created it.
Speaker 1: Man was made to live in a garden, not in a skyscraper. When God created man, he put him in the garden of Eden. He didn't put him a skyscraper. You weren't made to live in everything concrete. God made us to live in a garden, in a beautiful place. Any of you remember Woodstock? You're really old if you just raise your hand. Okay, really really old. Okay. There's this rock concert many many years ago. Joni Mitchell wrote a song about it called Woodstock, and it says, well, I came upon a child of God. He was walking along the road, and I said where you're going? He said, I'm going up the Yazgres Farm for this rock and roll band.
Speaker 3: And there's a line in.
Speaker 1: The course that says this, we are stardust, we are golden, and we're caught in the devil's bar and we've got to.
Speaker 3: Get back to the garden.
Speaker 1: And it's a capital g she's talking about the garden of Eden. We've come a long way from the Garden of Eden on this planet.
Speaker 3: People say I feel close to God in nature. Of course you do.
Speaker 1: It's God's beauty, and beauty inspires and beauty motivates. Notice the next verse Psalm twenty three, verse two and three.
Speaker 3: He makes me lie down? But where does he make me lie down?
Speaker 1: He makes me lie down in lush green meadows golf course.
Speaker 3: And leaves me.
Speaker 1: Beside calm, quiet waters.
Speaker 3: By the sandtrap.
Speaker 1: He restores my soul. Okay, he restores my soul. Now it's no wonder. Psalm twenty three is the most beloved psalm because we can all visualize this one. When I say think about lush, green meadows and a calm, quiet lake, you.
Speaker 3: Relax just thinking about it. Okay.
Speaker 1: If I say think about downtown LA, you get stressed out. I say, think about meadows and calm waters and babbling brooks. Nature refreshes because beauty inspires. Now you need beautiful scenes. You need to see beautiful scenes, and you need to hear beautiful sounds. In order to keep the stress down in your life. You need to add beauty into your life.
Speaker 3: Let me give you some suggestions. Write these down.
Speaker 1: Number one, get outside every day. If you're not getting outside every day, your stress level is going up. Even if it's just your backyard, even if just walk around the block, even if it's take your lunch outside. Walk outside of the office and sit outside and look up at a tree while you eat your sandwich. You need to get in touch with God's creation. You need to surround yourself with beauty. Get outside. Let me give you a second suggestion. Start the day with God, not the media. Before you read any text message, before you check your email, before you turn on the radio to some talk radio people screaming at each other, or before you turn on the television for some morning show. You need to get in touch with God first. The first seven minutes of your day set your mood every day. So do you want to start it with an alarm clock and then the worst news of the day coming at you. No, you don't really need to know all the bad news first thing when you get up, you don't need to know that you need to turn on some praise music, some worship music. You need to get in touch with God. You need to let the first five ten minutes of your day be with the Lord, and that'll dramatically reduce your stress and improve your mood. Another suggestion number three, intentionally put beauty around you, whether it's pieces of art or music that inspires you, or something a craft, that something that you know. I used to collect seashells, and I collected them from all over the world, and I did it and I had had my library filled with them because looking at those things simply inspired me to go, Wow, that the intricacy of that nautilus, how God inspired that. Looking at beauty lowers your stress level. Listening to beauty lowers your stress level. So I highly recommend that you either take up an instrument or or some kind of art or craft to create beauty. You are most like your creator when you're being creative, and so you need art in your life.
Speaker 3: You need beauty.
Speaker 1: And by the way, art and music are two of the greatest arguments against evolution. Why because they're totally unnecessary for human survival. And if the whole survival of the fittest really works, then why in the world do we have music and art in the world. Because you're more than a body and God made you for worship. Did you know more songs have been written about Jesus than any other subject in human history. Did you know more books have been written about Jesus than in any other subject in human history. Do you know that more art has been created about the Bible and honor and glorify God and Jesus than any other subject in history. Why God gave us music and God gave us art for one reason, to express emotion. That's the only purpose of it. You don't need it for physical survival, but you do need it to really live, to be who God made you to be. So fill your life with art, and fill your life with music. You know, when I get stressed out, I go home, I pick up a guitar and start playing a guitar, are sitting on piano, bang on the piano, ukulele, doesn't matter, kazoo, you know whatever, just come and paper. It's like last week you said, make a joyful noise that don't have to be pretty, Just make a joyful noise. Philippians four to eight says this, You'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things that are true and noble and reputable, and authentic and compelling and gracious.
Speaker 3: It sounds like television, doesn't it. No, it doesn't. That is not television. Okay.
Speaker 1: You'll do best by filling your mind with things that are true and noble and authentic, compelling, gracious, the best, not the worst.
Speaker 3: The beautiful, not the ugly.
Speaker 1: Now because of sin, there's a lot of ugliness in the world. World, there are a lot of unpleasant things in the world. Whatever you give your attention to is going to either raise or lower your stress. Some of you during fifty days transformation, you need to do a fast on the news. I hate to tell you this, but you could miss the news for the next fifty days, and I'm going to make one difference in the world.
Speaker 2: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We're so happy that you've chosen to study along with us today. If you'd like to receive Rix free daily devotional, just go to pastorick dot com and sign up Right now. Rick will be back to close out our time today. But first, you know the world is shouting for our attention with answers to our relationship struggles, solutions to our financial troubles, and explanations to our search for meaning. But the world's promises leave us empty and searching for more. God's Word contains the only answers that promise to transform your life from the inside out. That's why Pastor Rick has put together the Transformed Study Kit, which includes a vegan leatherbound interactive workbook and a seven video session DVD. These video sessions can be used independently or with a small group of friends. This kit will help uncover key Biblical principles that will completely transform your life in every area including spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial, and vocational. Will send you the Transformed Study Kit as our way of saying thanks when you give a gift to help daily hope take the certain hope of Jesus to people around the world. To get your copy of this great resource, call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or go to Pastorick dot com. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand or Pastorick dot com. Here's Pastor Rick with an important closing word.
Speaker 3: You know here at daily Hope.
Speaker 1: We use the Internet and podcasts and email and as many other different channels as possible to share God's hope and love with as many people as we can. Now, one of the ways that we use is by broadcasting on radio stations just like the one you're listening to right now.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You may not know this, but purchasing radio airtime is a significant expense for our ministry. But we want to bring this teaching to you, and we believe you are worth it. Now, in order to be good stewards of the gifts that God has given us, we're only able to continue on the air on stations we're listener supporters. Let us know that they're listening to the programs. That's why it's very important that you let us know the call letters and the city of your radio station when you give any kind of gift or support today, Hope. This is very important. Let us know your call letters and the name of the city that you are hearing this broadcast.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I realize that some of you can't afford to help us out financially.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 1: We love you, We thank God for you. We want to minister and serve you. Everybody in the Body of Christ has different gifts to share at different times in life. You can pray for us and there will be others of you who can give generously so that God can continue to spread this message throughout the world. You need to know that Daily Hope is one hundred percent funded by the daily gifts and offerings that you give with your generous support. You also need to know that I don't take any salary from Daily Hope. All of the gifts given to this broadcast go directly toward fulfilling our mission of reaching people with the certain hope that we can only find in Jesus. So I'm going to ask you to do something today. Will you pray for me and will you pray for this Daily Hope ministry help us to reach every person in the world with the certain hope that only comes from believing and receiving Jesus Christ. You know it's only by hearing the word of God and by putting into practice that we discover and we fulfill the purposes God has for each.
Speaker 3: Of our lives.
Speaker 1: So I want to just say thank you, thank you so much for your financial support that you're able to give whenever you're able to give it and may God bless your generosity.
Speaker 2: To give a gift and help keep Daily Hope on your local radio station. Go to pastor Rick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's pastor Rick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support