Speaker 1: Something you should go Something you should know is brought to you by genesisgoldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis gooldr dot com. Excited to visit with right now. Michael Spears. He's an actor and he's got a really cool project that he's going to be a part of tonight and tomorrow night. And he's from South Dakota. Michael Spears, how are you doing, sir?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm doing well, trying a good job. And welcome, Welcome everybody to the show. Good morning. I hope everyone's having a good day.
Speaker 1: Well, we're excited to chat about Sitting Bull and this looks fantastic. It's a two night event starts tonight, wraps up tomorrow night on the History Channel. Let's talk about how you got involved in this project and you get your Sitting Bull. You're playing Sitting Bull himself, right, I sure, am that.
Speaker 2: Is awesome, incredible honor to embody that.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this project. And I see it's the executive producer Leonardo DiCaprio of That Fella, A whole lot of great people that are involved in this. Let's talk about how you got involved in a little bit about the program.
Speaker 3: I got a call actually from a friend of mine, one of the producers, Larry Poolier, asked if I'd be willing to throw my name in the hat for Sitting Bowl, And he said, hear my choice, and I graciously said yes. Just an honor to be chosen and get to portray such an iconic individual.
Speaker 1: Now, I remember, you know, I grew up in South Dakota. I live in Sioux Falls now, but I grew up in Huron. I remember when Dances with Wolves came out and it was filmed in South Dakota, and what a big deal that was and still is for our state. And I'm watching that and I see this guy by the name of Michael Spears on there. And that was your first movie, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was so many, many many moons ago.
Speaker 1: What was that like, going from you know, never doing a movie at all to being a part of one of the biggest movies of all time.
Speaker 3: Tremendous gratitude. I'm just so thankful that I was able to do that. I give all my praise and thanks to my dad who helped me get the open casting call through the audition process, and the inspiration, you know is my dad, my grandplace, my grandma.
Speaker 1: And the thing that's fascinating again when you look back, that was the end of the eighties. That was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was made in eighty nine and ninety and came out in ninety.
Speaker 1: One, and all these years later when you watch that movie, first of all, it still holds up. It's still fantastic, But then look at all of the people that were a part of that that have gone on to do some pretty good things. Kevin Costner, you know, Michael Spears, you guys had a chance. Your worlds have crossed a few times again because in the same universe nineteen twenty three and eighteen eighty three, you've had a chance to work on those projects all tied to Taylor Shared and so again, I just think it's a really cool thing that that started way back when it started, and now you know, you've had a chance to so many amazing things since then as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, getting a chance to work alongside uncle Kevin, you know, he got to work with my younger brother Eddie, who's also an actor, my son Noah, who got to play on the contemporary second season of Yellowstone And you know, just being on set and getting to reunite with.
Speaker 2: Kevin was awesome. It was a lot of years.
Speaker 3: We did actually a twenty year retrospect in Aberdeen, South Dakota, quite a few years ago. Now, it's just tremendous how well the film still holds up. Yeah, and those memories I always hold deer still.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: You know, got my start there.
Speaker 1: Well again, the new project that you're on is on tonight on the History Channel, Sitting Bowl. And as you were putting this together and had a chance to be a part of this, are there things that you learned about Sitting Bull or did you know most of the stuff that we're going to discover on TV tonight.
Speaker 3: The things that I learned was more and more of the nuance, more and more of you, like.
Speaker 2: His favorite song.
Speaker 3: I got to learn putting myself in his moccasin, so to speak, was was the learning process and getting to actually visualize and be a part of, you know, the battle scenes and feel, you know, in essence what he felt ultimately being a martyr, you know, killed and respected.
Speaker 2: By his own people at the same time. Yeah, that was a big learning process.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to be watching tonight again. It's a two night event tonight at nine easterns eight o'clock in Sioux Falls here and then again tomorrow night, same time on the History Channel. I'm going to throw a link to make it easy. All the information on our Facebook page. And you said you have relatives in Sue Falls, so you want to say hello to them before we go.
Speaker 3: Hey, yes, I got my cousin Shane and Eric and a lot of friends down there, the printing center right down there, and Sue Fall with my namesake, my uncle Mike. You know, got rested soul.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of love for my home.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well, we're so so happy for you and the amazing things you've had a chance to do, and you're you're making South Dakota proud. And we're going to be watching tonight. Thank you for your time, my friend.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you so much again.
Speaker 1: Michael Spears, he is sitting bowl tonight on the History Channel. I've got all the information at Facebook dot com slash Sunny Radio and Facebook dot com slash Sue Falls newsy Something you should know, Something you should know so is brought to you by genesisgoldira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold standard. Get a free gold and silver guide now at Genesis gooldira dot com