Speaker 1: High week for the youths, bye week for BYU, but a lot of college football this weekend. So let's bring in one of our favorites on a Friday, my buddy Max Brown, to get us ready for the weekend ahead.
Speaker 2: Max. Happy Friday, buddy.
Speaker 3: How are we doing every Friday?
Speaker 4: Spen's doing well? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm good. So let's get this out of the way. Did we dress up for Halloween? Did we go trick or treating? What was the Max Brown Halloween experience?
Speaker 4: Like, dude, this is the first time I hadn't dressed up in a little while. But it was funny last night because I saw mccullay colchin dress up as Joe Burrow, which when people stop me on the street, those are the two dudes that people say, I look like.
Speaker 3: I was Joe Burrow two years ago.
Speaker 4: I was Travis Kelce and my wife was Taylor Swift last year before it got super trendy. So I'm usually in the spirit, but this year I find myself on the road.
Speaker 1: You can't drop that on me to start the interview, because now I've got your Twitter pulled up. You do look like a hybrid of McAuley Cochin and Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: I've never realized that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get, social media says if Peyton Manning and Joe Burrow had a child with Peyton Manning's five head and Joe Burrow's, I guess it's the hairstyle. I don't even know skinning complexion or whatever, but yeah, I get. Someone stops me said that, look like Joe Burrow literally once every other week.
Speaker 1: I can see that I've never put that together. I usually pride myself on those type of comps. But we'll move on. Nobody gives a rip, all right, Max, Our local teams are on a bye, So let's just start with a couple of thoughts here, and then let's get ready for some games this weekend. And let's start with the bad, the disappointing, the Utah Utes. And look, as I've said all week, I get a lot of things wrong. I'm fine saying that is a radio host. I don't know that I've ever been as wrong as I've been about anything as far as how wrong I've been with his Utah football team. Four straight l's and now we're back to a quarterback situation where Isaac Wilson and Brandon Rose are going to split the reps and by us in town coming up next Saturday. Just want to get some thoughts from you on the utes today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever something like this happens, which obviously I mean for Utah this is a first time under under Kyle wedding hand, But when you know teams don't live up to expectations that you have coordinators and guys on the team that have had a lot of success, I always go kind of more like big picture, like more culture and emotion and like all right, what what what? What changed here? And just zooming out again. I'm not following the beat, like I know a lot of locally Utah fans are as much, but from a national level, like what changed? Right? This is the first year where you know, Utah at least all off season was the top dog and the expectations were were shooting high in Utah had high expectations. But even then when they were in the Pac twelve, it still felt like you had every reason to talk about Oregon, Washington, USC or you know, I know ASU had a year there and there a little bit and there was there was you know, schools that popped in there, pop up in there. But you feel like you always Utah could have that edge. Yes we knew we had talent, Yes they knew they had good players, Yes we knew they had a great head coach. But it was almost like, hey, we're the underdog. And it's got me thinking that just from a you know, zooming out that like this was the year where no one was counting them out and they were door border line. I would say most people's big twelve pick across the board. And I wonder, if you know, you start to buying into that a little bit, losing your edge a little bit. And I do think the roller coaster that's been cam rising is not insignificant, but obviously it's bigger.
Speaker 3: Than just that.
Speaker 4: And you know, the Whittingham coach news coaching waiting, I think is interesting and unique for a locker room. At the time, I didn't think anything of it because I'm like, oh, coach William, he'll handle it.
Speaker 3: But then looking back, you have.
Speaker 4: To wonder if that just I don't know, lessons that edge is the best way I can put it. For a Utah team that's prided themselves and had a lot of success with that edge over the past decade.
Speaker 1: Tell me from a quarterback standpoint. You know, we had Scott Mitchell to speak to this a couple of weeks ago, and Scott, you know, Scott talked about from his vantage point, if he was the starter, he wanted all the reps with the ones.
Speaker 2: He did not want to split them.
Speaker 1: And we know the Cameron and Isaac at one point we're splitting the reps with the ones, and now Cameron shut down for the year. But now we hear that Brandon and Isaac are splitting reps with the ones. From your advantage point, what does that say about where we're at with the quarterback spot.
Speaker 4: It says that you're searching for answers, which is an obvious statement for sure at this point in the season. I think for me, you know, splitting the reps is one thing if you have you know, if it's the NFL and you have two quarterbacks that have played a lot of football and so they don't they don't need those practice reps from just a sheer like I need that experience. Obviously, any player across any sports could use practice reps to get acclimated to the game plan. But when you're you know, a true freshman quarterback, every rep at least you should.
Speaker 3: Be learning something.
Speaker 4: It's a new look, it's a even if it's not a new look, it's something that you're getting more accustomed to. So that's where it gets more concerning for me of like, hey, you're taking away a growth opportunity. But on the same side, he's been given a lot of starts and a lot of experience so far this season that at a certain point to the coach's responsibility, you you have a duty to try to finance that position, and if the quarterback isn't at that at a winning level, I understand the decision, but it's delicate, and I think having been I've never been in a split rep situation, but I have been in a situation where you're playing on playing two guys in a game. And if that's the case, then I think out goes the window of having complex game plans that imagine it's going to be very base install knowing that whoever's behind center can operate at least in the passing game. Running game maybe a little bit different, but at least in the passing game. It's concepts that those guys have repped all off season.
Speaker 1: I think the most impressive, well, just for me. The most impressive element of the start for Briging me ONNG is just how productive they've been across the board so real quick. Seventeen players have scored a touchdown, eleven players have a pick, eight players have a sack, So like, this isn't just a one trick pony. They're complementary. They've been great in all three phases. But the same question we're sitting here b YU eight and no climbing up the polls, what do you make of the start for bringing me on?
Speaker 4: It's awesome to see and it works in contrast to the rest of the rest of the country. It feels like you know you have in that top ten, top fifteen. It's all about the star teams, I think, or the star players, I should say, right, Like a team like Miami is getting the benefit of the doubt. A team like Ohio State after a poor performance last week, they're getting the benefit of the doubt. But then you have teams like BYU and I'd put my Alma Manor in there, the pitt Panthers, where it truly is a team effort.
Speaker 3: It truly is.
Speaker 4: We're relying on all twenty two starters and special teams to get it done, and it's a new player every single week. And what impressed me about BYUS They're able to beat you in different ways. And I think it'll be interesting of just as this plays out if BYU.
Speaker 3: Continues to take care of business.
Speaker 4: Obviously obviously they go undefeated therein But what gets interesting is, you know, if they were to lose in a conference championship type game. And again I say about pitt over there in the acc UH and they're they're a one loss team. If you're a BYU fan, you should be saying we shouldn't get punished for a conference championship loss for one lost team. That shouldn't work against us. But when you look at Hey, that that those teams on the border, whether it's a whether it's a two potentially three lost Texas A and M or in Alabama, whether it's UH a one loss Miami if they were to losing their conference championship game or you know, two loss Clemson or something like that, it becomes your your splitting hairs there. And I'm fascinated.
Speaker 3: I say it in the context of this question.
Speaker 4: But because BYU doesn't have the style points, they don't have these huge.
Speaker 3: High profile players.
Speaker 4: They are getting more national recognition week by week. But when you come from a voting standpoint, I'm interested to see if a BYU winning style again, I put pit in the same boat, if that is sexy enough to get them over the hump, if we get in a decision point where you know it's them versus another team trying to get in the.
Speaker 2: Playoff before you move off our local teams.
Speaker 1: One more question here, because you know rivalry games are tricky, they get weird regardless. There have been very few, and I grew up going to to BYU Utah, then I went to school a Utah. Now eighteen years in the media, I've covered a ton of these games, and there may have been one or two years over the course of this game where I felt confident that one team was going to just tear apart the other. More often than not, something zany happens, something weird happens.
Speaker 2: BYU.
Speaker 1: According to DraftKings, is a four point five point favorite that actually feels like a lot based off the chaos that can ensue. But Utah football does not deserve the benefit of the doubt right now. Utah still has a very good defense. The metrics say most of their numbers are top three or four outside of sacks and forced fumbles and turnovers. But just meeting potatoes, they're good rush defense or good pass defense. And you know, Jake Retz laugh still two or three times a game makes decisions where you go, dude, you know, like pump the brakes man.
Speaker 2: So so I don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: But from your advantage point as somebody who's played in rivalry games, what what makes next Saturday potentially such a wild card?
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good question, I would say, probably to what you just alluded to. I don't think you have a either quarterback obviously Utah searching for answers and BYU red flop. He's done good things. But to your point, there's there a few plays a game where you're like, yeah, I'm not really sure. And he's also kind of really put a brand on he's got these he's got these gutsy, timely throws that you're kind of sitting there like, man, if he doesn't, if the game shakes out where he's not getting those throws, or at dB just gets one more hand up, or it's instead of third and eight and it's manageable, it's third and ten and eleven, and that that throw becomes a bit more difficult, like it's only a matter of time before things catch up to him kind of energy, and that hasn't happened this season, which he deserves a ton of credit for because he's final ways to win and that's obviously.
Speaker 3: The most important things with the kV position.
Speaker 4: But I think that element of hey, if you have a quarter or two where one of these quarterbacks either wakes up on the Utah side, because we have seen flashes of that at least early earlier on in this season, or if BYU redslov if it is an off night and the ball bounces Utah's way in the passing game, that to me is the dynamic that that could shake this thing. And I feel like the old adage of rivalry games you never know what's going to happen, applies to any rivalry in college football, but this year, especially where you have a BYU team where at least nationally, I think there's a corner of the of the media world that's like, all right, BYU, it's only a matter of time before they stub their toe. And then on the flip side, Utah's an underperforming team, and so those two contrast each other, which should make up for hopefully.
Speaker 3: A good rivalry games.
Speaker 1: So I was surprised to read this morning that Iowa State is ninety ninth in the country in rush defense, just behind Bowling Green and just ahead of U Mass. I really, I'll be honest, I had no clue that that was the deal. They're getting thirteen and a half at home against Texas Tech, who is one of the most potent offense is in the Big Twelve. If you're a BYU fan, you're watching this game closely? Is I was staying on upset watch coming up against Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: You think I'm about the stance that I mean we talked about two weeks ago, and I was on with you, like the Big twelve is fun to watch. I think Chancewsch, Yes, they're on upset alert because that chunk of seven eight teams, I mean, they all can show up and play and even I mean at this point Utah, I know it hasn't been pretty, but like, no, Utah is not going to be an easy out TCU. I had them in person earlier on in the season. They have two NFL receivers and a capable offense. I know Utah shut them down, but like I think that's the story of the Big Twelve this year. And that line happened with you. That's a lot of points, but all these teams down the stretch. I think that's what's so impressive about BYU too, is with how volatile the Big twelve's done or how vultale it's been, BYU's been the most consistent team. And that's another thing with Texas Tech too. That loss was Washington State where they absolutely got blown.
Speaker 3: Out of the water.
Speaker 4: It'll be into and as we fast forward to with a potentially one loss Boise State. If Washington State finishes the year with one loss, like all those questions will be interesting for a Texas Tech team as we're trying to connect the dots there so.
Speaker 1: The eyes of the college football world, Happy Valley. I have been there one time. We went and saw BYU Penn State game back in like ninety two. Yes, I'm old, don't send dms Ohio. Ohio State's getting three here. Both James Franklin and Ryan Day not great against top five opponents, but one of them will win. What do you think plays out as Penn State is taking on Ohio State. Ohio State there in Happy Valley.
Speaker 4: The first thing that jumps out is this is not a night game, which I think is huge for Ohio State. Obviously they'll they'll still show up, but I played, I played in Happy Valley during the day, and I was thankful as the opposing quarterback that that was the case because it's at least, in my opinion, manageable. Again, it's going to be loud, don't get be wrong, but to not have that white out in under the lights.
Speaker 3: Is a big deal.
Speaker 4: This this'll be interesting because there's an anxiety around the Ohio State program that I think is unique only to.
Speaker 3: The Buck Eyes.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of programs that have puns to expectations and tons of fan base that have the standard is extremely high, borderline unrealistic. But man, just watching Will Howard's press conferences, just the sense around Ryan Day, it very much feels like they're like, this is the season where they either have to get over the hump and take care of business in these types of games, or who knows, maybe Ohio State's going to go in a different direction. On the flip side for Penn State. This is why you made the change at offensive coordinator to go get Andy cole Nicki to win these games.
Speaker 3: Ohio State Michigan.
Speaker 4: That's been the crux for James Franklin. So anxiety on one hand for the buck Eyes. I think internally the Penn State James Franklin probably feels that anxiety. I think outwardly he doesn't show it as much. But this is a critical game for both teams. I still have both these teams getting in the Cultural Playoff when it's said and done, but it could be the difference of one team being on the fringe and maybe getting booted out of the playoff when it's all said and done, and the other team potentually getting a first round by and and hosting a playoff.
Speaker 3: So a huge one regardless.
Speaker 1: So I've heard more than a few people say that there's a world that exists for Michigan to make it into the CFP, even though they have three losses. But they have to run the table, and I suppose the reasoning is they have Oregon, the number one team in the country, then they're at Indiana and they closed against Ohio State. I would be stunned if they get all those wins based off of what we've seen. But Oregon is at the Big House coming up tomorrow. What do you make of that matchup? How do you think it plays out?
Speaker 4: I mean, it'll be interesting with Michigan's quarterback Jack Tuttle announced that he'll be retiring, so they'll have to go back to back to the well with the the two guys that started this season. So again similar to Utah in that regard of having to having to find quarterback answers. Oregon's been rolling ever since that. I mean, they got out physical versus Poise State, made the shakeup at offensive line, and I like the Ducks. I thought the Purdue game, like Mini Folks, was a trap game, and they responded after that one. So I expect or going to take care of business. And to your point about that three loss Big Ten hypothetical Michigan getting into the playoffs. It's interesting because before this season, when I was, you know, looking forward of like, hey, how could this thing shake out? I said, Hey, it might not be this year, but eventually, what we're gonna get a three loss team into the college football playoff just because as the game I think moves to a greater parody from teams call it ten through forty. I think that's a recipe for a potential three loss team to get in. But if you do the math, like right now, right now, Alabama is the fifth SEC team in terms of the overall ranking. So if you're thinking that the SEC gets in four and maybe a fifth and then all the other conferences get one, like, you run out of a spot. So I at this stage in the season, I am not of the camp there's a path for Michigan to get in there. I think that three lost slot would be would be more so for the SEC team to get a fifth team in, But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Crazier things have happened before we get to your alma mater playing a SMU team that BYU handled pretty well on the road.
Speaker 2: Let me start with a general acc question.
Speaker 1: Miami's undefeated, but is there a world that exists where Clemson is actually the better team because after losing to Georgia they've stayed clean.
Speaker 3: I think so yeah. I don't even think that's a hot take, per se.
Speaker 4: I think Clemson's defensive line seems to be more productive or his defense in general. Miami's very much got the mentality of we're just going to outscore people and good luck keep it up with us, which is great when you're playing teams that are not top ten in the country. And I think unless Miami figures out that defensive equation, they could and Cam wore ones out of magic, they could they could get to stop at Clemson could be right there at the top. And then again, I like what Pitt's doing. It's not the old the old pit and SMU at least is still in the equation. I think I worry about SMUs depth as we get into November, but all four of those teams still in the equation.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over before I say, you lose to your alma mater, and if you're a BYU fan, you have to hope that SMU continues to play well because that makes your win against them look better.
Speaker 2: This isn't rocket science.
Speaker 1: It is in Dallas, SMU's a seven point favorite, but your boys have stayed clean. How do you think this one plays out?
Speaker 4: I like that line for the Pitt Panthers, and that's not even just a hometown hometown route. I think in years past when Narduzi's had a good team, I mean his best team was with Kenny Pickett when Kenny was one of the best quarterbacks in the country and they had Jordanadison out wide, and that seemed like to be just, you know, you kind of shruck two star players at the right time with Nardoozi's identity. This season, though, they have the same defense that is flying around that is a very good college football defense. They might not necessarily have the NFL names, but they are rotating a bunch of dudes. They have depth, and they're playing extremely extremely confident. And then on the offensive side. This is ironic coming from me being a quarterback, but the question with Pitt's always been outside of Kenny Pickett, like can they find a quarterback? There was Nate Peterman and then gaps the next decade after that instead of Kenny Pickett and Eli Holsting. He's good. No one talks about him nationally, but he is a very good college quarterback. Book with his legs, and he can beat you from the pocket, which I said this about BYU, But Pitt has the ability to beat you in different ways.
Speaker 3: It can be a defensive game. Last week they had three pick sixes.
Speaker 4: It can be beat you from the pocket, Eli Holsting, It can be an Eli Holstein legs game, and then they got great running backs too and skill players out wide. So I like the I like the Pitt Panthers. I like that line too, against especially coming off an SMU team that they struggled last week.
Speaker 3: Got the win, but they struggled last week last thing.
Speaker 1: Which conference is most likely to get two teams in Big twelve or ACCY.
Speaker 4: I think it's gotta be the AC SEE because of what we said Miami and Clemson there, But it'll get interesting. I haven't looked at these schedules, but of those four ACC teams, they don't all play each other, so coming down the stretch, there could be a scenario where you know what like a scenario and again I haven't seen the schedules, but where a one loss, like the third of those teams has one loss and is very much in their minds and contention for a CFP spot and is awkwardly left out, which again speak to just these huge conferences nowadays where everyone's not playing each other all right.
Speaker 2: Max, where can people go find your work? Bud?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Hellover social media, Max Brown. And then tomorrow I'm going to call for Syracuse Virginia Tech nude on the CW.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Thanks brother, having a good week. I enjoy the games.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks bench too. All right.
Speaker 1: Max Brown lead football lead college football analyst for the CW does a great job on all the social channels, whether it's Twitter or Instagram or TikTok check them out. Just to name at Max Brown, which is spelled with an E. All right, I want to tell you about my friends at Big O Tires right now. It's the Fall Into Savings sale. You can say between eighty and one hundred and twenty dollars off select set of tires, all brands, whatever you need. Big O Tires is your true one stop shop for automotive repair. You can stop in for tires, wheels, alignments, rotations, oil changes, breaks, batteries, shocks, struts, fluids, and more. Big O Tires offers free flat repairs, air alignment and brake checks as well, no credit needed, financing options to fit any budget and any situation.