Speaker 1: What's up everyone, and welcome back to the program. In this episode, we're going to head back out to Moscow and we're going to pick up where we left off with the IgG transcript hearing, and once again we have Leah Larkin doing the answering and the questions are being asked by Ann Taylor. Question, all right, let's talk about this case. Were you brought on to help us.
Speaker 2: In this case? Answer?
Speaker 1: Yes, I was brought on to help you interpret and understand what was done in terms of the genetic genealogy for this case. Question what did you look at to do that? Answer? Well, it's been a bit of a struggle getting all of the material I would like to look at. So I have seen basically photos of a giant kind of posters scroll of a family tree that I believe the FBI built at ancestry dot com. I've seen pictures of whiteboard in which they have which they sort of like hand wrote on the whiteboard a descendant tree, so basically looking at some ancestors and mapping out the descendant lines leading to certain DNA matches. I've seen communication between In some cases, I can see who the recipients are. In some I can't, but I've seen a lot of email communications about the case. Do you want me to go on question No, In the course of your work, you try to help us understand what happened here. Did you learn that first Authrum worked on the case and then the FBI took it over.
Speaker 2: Answer?
Speaker 1: Yes, so, Authorum, I believe they were contracted, based on the invoice I've seen, they were contracted to do the lab work, so to actually generate an SMP profile, upload it to gd match pro and family Tree DNA presumably through the approved portals, and then I believe they were contracted to do the genetic genealogy. But they were told to stop work. I believe on December tenth, and I've seen the preliminary report. They wrote question, all right, have you had a chance to look at what happened after December tenth?
Speaker 2: Answer?
Speaker 1: So after December tenth there were some email communications between The one I think was the most interesting to me had the names redacted and it contained screenshots. So, just to backtrack a little bit, the Authoram report reported two main DNA matches, one of them shared seventy point seven sent the morgans of DNA. The court reporter I'm sorry, seven point seventy. The witness seventy point seven sent the morgans, do you know how to spell that? Ce NTI m r GA N and we just abbreviated CM the other I think it was sixty and Authoram's report specifically said those are low matches. Authoram figured out how those people were related to one another. I believe they were third cousins to one another, and based on how much DNA they shared with the crime scene profile, they thought that the individual who contributed the crime scene profile was descended from the second great grandparent of those two matches, a man name redacted and his wife redacted. I believe their name, and they were born in the redacted. Question when Authroam quit work, were they following a family tree that they could have led to come to Brian Colberger answer, yes, so, based on my initial review of what they did, the crime scene profile was most likely descended from redacted and redacted, or perhaps one of their siblings. It's hard to tell with DNA because it's not not all third cousins share exactly the same amount of DNA. Some share more, some share less. It's just kind of a statistics game.
Speaker 2: You play.
Speaker 1: The couple had redacted children, and so there as conceivably could have been hundreds of descendants of this couple. I haven't seen the full tree. I've just seen that there redacted children. Authorm chose one of those children and had tracked down I believe grandchildren, and there were four brothers. They recommended testing one of the brothers to get more DNA to get a closer handle on where their crime scene profile might fit into the family question. So, when Authrum stops there and the FBI takes over, you told us you saw something from ancestry dot com. Would you have expected to see any other kind of file with that file?
Speaker 2: Answer?
Speaker 1: So this was basically like a giant poster sized printout of information from that family tree. A family tree, when you build one at ancestry, is stored in a specific kind of data format, or more precisely, you can download the file in a specific type of data format called a getcom and it's a universal file format for genealogy trees. So you could take a getcom file and you could open it up in a standalone software on your laptop. You could upload it to a different genealogy company. I have jetcom file for every single client case that I do. When I'm finished with an adoptee case, I basically give my client the getcom file, so they have a record of all the work that I did, and I would have expected the FBI to have that as well, but they did not turn that over. Question you didn't see one of those? Answer? I did not see one of those, No question, knowing that Authrum finished their work on December tenth, and then the FBI took over, and we've heard that by decemb nineteenth, nine days later, they made an identification. Is that significant to you?
Speaker 2: Answer? Yeah? Question?
Speaker 1: Why answer? Because Othrom's matches were, as in their own words and their report, those matches were low. They were recommending testing these four redacted brothers to get more information. If you went out and you approached those men, and even if one of them said yes, you can test my DNA, the testing itself would have taken some time, getting a kit to a person, getting the spit, sending it into the lab, having it analyzed, and it wouldn't have led to the crime scene profile because it was the wrong family branch. So going from low matches to an ID or at least a tip whatever they were calling it within nine days, That right there told me they had gone into a database they were not supposed to be in question. Were there other ways that you were able to confirm your beliefs?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 1: Yes, answer? What was that answer? So one of them in one of those email communications, I believe this is the one that had both the and recipient redacted. There were screenshots from ged match, and I believe it said so there were screenshots, how do I pull this in ged match? Gd match has a very open system. So if you were in gdgd match and I am in ged match, and let's say where we were cousins, I could go in and look at my kit and I would see you in my match list, but I could also go into your kit and see me in your match list. Ged match is just a super open database in that way. Any kit the system has is that as public you can search the matches. The one exception, however, is that if there are forensic kits in the database and I am a layperson and I'm looking at a layperson kit, I can't see the forensic kits. They're invisible to me. But there is an email communication that has a match list from the perspective of somebody who only used the initials SC. I have no idea what this person's real name is in the database, they are called SC. This screenshot is taken from the perspective of AS and there is no match to the forensic profile from SE's perspective. That tells me that the forensic profile was uploaded through the regular ged match portal and not the gd match Pro forensic portal because it should not have been visible to SC. And the email says this one's ours. And the other thing is that ged match will also tell you how many days a kit has been in their system, and for that kit, for that match to the SC, it had been in the database for one day, but AUTHORAM had uploaded it. I'm not sure exactly when, but I would say six to seven to eight days prior, so it should not have said the kit was only one day old.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: So, based on that email and what you saw, it confirmed your belief that the FBI used a non allowed answer right, So that one. There was several lines of evidence. That was one of them that stood out to me early on that they had uploaded through the layperson portal of ged match so that they could see all the people that were opted out.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of other matches.
Speaker 1: One of them was actually two hundred and fifty center Morgans, which is something we got excited about in genealogy, and one of them I think was closer to seventy that were not in the authoram report. If AUTHORM had seen the one who shared two hundred and fifty cent a Morgans, that would have been in their report. Like their genealogists are good, they know what they're doing, they would not have ignored a two hundred and fifty cent a Morgan match. And based on those other two matches, at that point, I was pretty sure they had gone into my heritage database. Question while you were reviewing this information so you could learn and try and figure out what happened here, did you have any ability to call anybody from the FBI and say, hey, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Answer?
Speaker 1: I don't know who did the genealogy work at the FBI. Question why is that answer it's not in the information we received. Question is that part that was redacted?
Speaker 2: Answer?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was redacted or if we just never got it. So there was one email that was redacted, A dacted sender and our adacted recipient. Presumably those were the people doing the genealogy work. But other than that, I have no idea who did the genealogy work at the FBI question and there are other ways, you know, the FBI went where they were not supposed to go. Answer. There was one piece of information in the discovery material that I did review. I believe we asked them to turn over the match list and they were like, oh, we can't turn over the whole match list because it was twenty thousand people. And that actually, right there was a big tip off because if they had only used gd match Pro and only use Family Tree DNA, I think at most they could have gotten to about ten thousand. So that right there tipped me off that there were in a database that they should not have been able to be in question during the course of our work to try and understand what happened here, did you assist us with reviewing documentation and teaching us what else should have been there that we needed to ask for? Answer what specifically question well about the databases they went into and the match list and answer right. So, we've talked about what you see in a match list. We've talked about the fact that you can download the match list at family Tree DNA. There is just a click button to download it and you'll get a CSV file which you can open in a word processor or you can open in a spreadsheet program. At ged match, you can also get the whole match list, so you would have gotten that. I tend to do that for my clients, just so if I'm not online, I can still work through their materials and I can report that back to them. Question and did you testify an emotion to compel hearing to try to get this information so we could tell and confirm that you believed about the FBI going into a non allowed database. Answer yes, question and do you know if sometime after that we received confirmation that they did answer. We did finally get a letter from the FBI in which so we specifically asked to know which of the matches were in which of the databases, and they did not tell us that, but they did give us a list of the databases they had uploaded to, and it included family Tree, DNA, ged match Pro, and there are the two databases they're allowed to use, but it also listed gd match, not ged match Pro, but gd match they're not allowed to go into the regular gd match portal. And then finally they admitted they had uploaded to my heritage. Miss Taylor, your honor, I am at D twenty six, and I could pass this copy to the court, I would ask that it'd be shown to the witness first, the court, what's the red number on it, Miss Taylor, your honor? The red number is nine to nine to nine the court notice of an in camera submission, Miss Taylor. Yes, Court, all right, go ahead, Miss Taylor. Doctor Larkin, will you thumb through that. It's towards the back answer?
Speaker 2: Okay? Question do you recognize that? Answer? Yes?
Speaker 1: The second to last page, it says, below are the genealogy services utilized by the FBI. Question and what does it tell you? Answer? It says family tree, DNA, ged match, pro ged match, and my heritage.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Miss Taylor, Was your honor like the copy they have there? I think it's part of the record you submitted, So I have a copy, Miss Taylor. Okay, thank you. Give me just one more minute to check with my team. I do have another question the court, all right, go ahead, Miss Taylor. Question what is Prometheus? Prometheus is a third party site. So it's not part of ancestry, not part of my heritage. Actually my heritage owns it. It's a site where you can take the SNP profile that you get from any of the companies and upload it to the site and it will produce It will basically look for medically informative SNPs in your profile that will do reports on them. I think it's like, I don't know, it's like a nominal fee, like twelve dollars or something, and it will do a report of all of the SNPs that you have in your profile. Question if you had my SNP you could do that and find out answer, Yes, I could do it on if somebody has done a genealogy test.
Speaker 2: For twelve dollars, I can.
Speaker 1: Put it into the Prometheus system and get trade reports and health reports.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: How extensive is that information that you could get? Answer? It's pretty comprehensive. I mean you will get reams and reams of reports. I should say that some how do I put this? There are lots of traits that are controlled by multiple genes, and so if a trade is controlled by multiple genes, I can't say for certain, yes, you're going to get Alzheimer's. No, you're not going to get Alzheimer's. It's more of a risk factor. But you can look at the multiple reports and see if they're, for example, giving you an increased risk of Alzheimer's or whatever other traits are in the system, if you have an increased risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, or anything else out there. Question for twelve dollars. Answer yes, question, Thank you. That's all my questions. Hold on a minute, the prosecutor might have one for you. All Right, we're going to wrap up right here, and in the next episode we'll finish this bad boy off. If you'd like to contact me, you can do that at Bobby Kopuchi at proton mail dot com. That's b O B B Y c A p U C C I at proton mail dot com. Or if you prefer, you can find me on x at B O B B Y on your score C A p U C C I. All of the links that go with this episode can be found in the description box.