Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on wb Z Boston's news video. Okay, let's get the pain out of the way. Just get it out of the way. Another damn school shooting. We're not you know, what is it to talk about? Welcome to the program, everybody. I just want to I need to address it. It's in the news. It's bad. There's no pro there's no con it's just terrible. It's mental health, it's access to guns, it's all of it. It just sucks. It just sucks, sucks, sucks, suck, sucks. And I mean seeing ends on and they're talking about it and I saw it today and we're all, you know, for parents, it's just terrible. So I'm just gonna give you some quick comments about this and then we're gonna move on and we're gonna get into some other things. But it is part of the news of today. Four people killed. You heard about that, two teachers, two teachers, and two students in Georgia, about an hour outside of Atlanta. But this is something I saw in USA today that the school get a phone call warning them of a shooting. And this would be the first school. There were going to be five schools targeted and this was going to be the first school. So I just want to know the timeline. Because the shooter, called Gray, according to reports, began this tragedy at like ten twenty in the morning. So when did the call come in? And if the call came in sooner than that, how come the doors were not locked immediately? How come it was just not shut down? I don't know. This is the ultimate second guest. Very easy for me to do. But we have seen in the past, as we know, in past school shootings where comic sense did not prevail, where they didn't act immediately, and I hope that this is not the case here. I have seen that report. A warning was given to the school, Okay, shut it down immediately, but perhaps the young man was already in school with the gun and it was too late. But that part I did find disturbing. But the police were, they got the listen, they were there within minutes. Maybe they had already been warned, maybe they were already on their way and it could have been a lot worse. Of course, that doesn't make anybody feel better right now, especially those related to the four people killed and a fourteen year old student, coach Gray, who surrounded immediately to police. It's all of it. It's mental health, it's gun control, it's all of it. I don't understand why there are sides with this, I really don't. It pisses me off. There should be one side. Stop it. That's it. Stop it. That's what I have to say about that. All right, We're going to try to move on from that. And then okay, so Vice President harrispoke today, and it seems with her tax situation, or her tax breaks, or her whole economic policy is to help the middle class, help the little person, if you will, And that makes sense. I understand that. You know, saying that corporations and billionaires should pay taxes, that's never gone away. You and I could talk about that all day long. The billionaires of the world, they have the tax breaks, they have the interest they have all the financial capabilities, and the people working for them where they can pay seventeen percent tax as opposed to forty percent tax because of the way they can make the numbers work and they can put losses against gains and so forth and so on. That's never going to change. That's never going to change. That's just gobbly good speak. Helping the middle class. I get that. That's fine. Fifty thousand dollars tax break for startup companies, great, four thousand dollars tax break per child for people that have multiple children in their home or people that have obviously families. You get a couple of kids, you get an eight grand tax break. That can help. It's all the good start. It's not earth shattering. I mean it's not. I mean the whole thing is interest rates have to come down. If interest rates come down, which I anticipate they will, that's going to be good for her. If it happens during the Biden administration. That's what it's gonna be all about. But I don't think while we can point to the economy, and I think people say the economy, the economy, the economy, I don't think that's gonna be what decides this election. I think morality is what's going to decide the election. Is ken people vote for a guy in Donald Trump who has a lot of moral questions. We know, convicted felon sexual harassment charges, comments it about fallen soldiers and what happened during COVID. He totally mismanaged that total. I mean, I don't know who could have done there were a lot of things he said during COVID that were just stupid. You know what you're gonna get with Trump. You don't know what you're gonna get with Harris, and she's gonna get the young vote. People will point to the economy. I don't think the economy is going to decide the election this time around. I think it's gonna be personality. I think it's gonna be like I think Trump's a bad guy, or Trump's got a record. I don't like Donald Trump because he's a bully. I mean, Donald Trump's not stupid and well, could be good for the economy. We know pro trumpers have pointed to the fact that while he was in office, the economy was great. Well, you know what, when Bill Clinton was in office, he balanced the budget, So you can you can point the Republicans and you can point to Democrats where the economy worked for them. Both parties can make arguments on that regard. I don't think it's the economy stupid about this time. I think it's when you go to the ballot box, which person, Which person can I vote for? Can I let January sixth slide? Can I let the sexual harassment accusations and charges in convictions slide? Can I let those things slide? Can I let us slide? The way he has spoken about following soldiers at Arlingcoln cemeteries? Can I let that slide? Should I vote for Vice President Harris? I don't know how she's gonna do. I haven't been impressed so far she was vice president. What they do? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. That's the thing. You don't know. That's so that's where we're at. I mean, we've talked about this before. So it's great that she's got the tax breaks and all that. I don't think it's ever shattering. And I don't think it's gonna be the economy that decides the election. I don't. I think people are just gonna vote. They're gonna vote with their heart, and they're gonna have a moral compass in which way they can go. That's it. Do they go with the unknown with a person who, as far as we know, seems to have a very good moral compass, or do we go with what we do know, with Donald Trump, who may be good for the economy, who may be good for big business, whose moral compass is a little off. That's what it's gonna come down to. All Right. Those are my opening thoughts on the show coming up tonight right here on night Side on WBZ dan rygus Off. As you know, we will take calls coming up at the eleven o'clock hour at six, one, seven, two, four, ten thirty. Got a lot of work to do between now and then. My good body, Casey Sherman. He's got a great article Boston Magazine. You know, he's written some great books like Murder in Hollywood, a hell Town, Cape cod serial Killer. He's got another one coming out, Blood in the Water. Also got a big play coming up, cases producing a big play at the Wilburn next spring. Yes, yours truly will be taking the stage, so we'll talk about that. But he's going to be talking about a man. He's going to be speaking about a man that he's written about in Jimmy Rodwell, who has spent the last forty three years in prison for a crime that he says he did not commit. Nine o'clock John Powers, one of the great sports journalists in the world, in the world who's going to join us from the Boston Globe, and we're going to look back at the Paris Olympic Games and look ahey to twenty twenty eight, and I just want to talk about the Olympics in general. Rhythm Masters and Mickey Hart Experience The Grateful Dead Drummer, one of the two. Mickey Hart has this idea the rhythm of sports. The rhythm of the universe is in sync with the rhythm of sports. My good friend Toys and Paying directed this documentary in which Mickey Hart focuses on this. And I have to admit when I first heard the idea, I went, ah, do I have to have some shrooms? Is it advised when you watch the Rhythm Rhythm Masters and Mickey Hart Experience on ESPN that you pop a couple of shrooms. You don't drive, do not drive, you know, but you just pretend you're at a dead concert. Act accordingly within your living room. I've seen the documentary. It's phenomenal, it's great, it's great. It's Mickey's a little out there, but you want to hear. You want to hear what the journey that Tory had and putting this whole documentary together, working with the Joe Montanas of the world, and when he was alive, the great Bill Walton and Mickey Hart and bringing athletes and musicians together for one common theme. Very interesting stuff. A lot of the greats Nicholas, Joe Montana, Bill Walton all say rhythm is part of being successful in sports. So that's all coming up at the ten o'clock hour, and again you're coming up at eleven o'clock right here on WBZ. Okay, coming up next here on Nightside, Gary Tagway for Dan Ray, a man that has spent forty three years in jail for a crime he says he did not come in. Casey Sherman, our buddy, breaks it down for us next on WBZ. Now back to Dan Ray. Line from the Window World, night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio the Eleventh Hour from Boston Magazine. It's a great story, a great tale told by Casey Sherman. We know that Casey is great at these things. Casey, of course, who has written a number of best selling books and now he's working on this story to you free Jimmy Rodwell spending forty three years in prison for a crime that he says he doesn't commit. And when you take a look at the facts and you read the article and you look at what Casey's working on. Lotter eyebrows get raised. Casey, thanks for joining us here on Nightside.
Speaker 2: Buddy, Hey, thanks for having me. Gary really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always great to talk to you here. Where do you find First of all, where do you find these stories? How do you dig this stuff up?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, oftentimes these stories just kind of come to me. I met Jimmy Rodwell over a year ago inside the walls of Conquered State Prison with his attorney of Veronica White, and he had a story to tell. Now, oftentimes I hear, you know, from prisoners all over the country, all over the world, you know, with their tales of wall I'm innocent on this. I'm innocent on that. But this one really got under my skin and I started to dig into the case and found what an absolute travesty of justice it really is.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to discover that?
Speaker 2: We worked on this story for several months, myself and my editor at Boston Magazine, Chris Mogel, pouring over you know, hundreds, if not thousands of court documents, witness testimony, you name it, we found it. And when you put it all together from a thirty thousand foot view, and then you drill down you realize that Jimmy Rodwell isn't lying. He's sixty eight years old and he you know, he's desperate to get out of prison for a gangland murder that he did not commit.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's set the scene here and we have a lot of moving parts, we have a lot of players, so we're not going to rush this. So Rodwell was convicted in nineteen seventy eight for the Summer the murder of Lewis Rose Junior. And what I found, and I'll just in reading the article and taking a look at your material, there's no connection really like how Rodwell became involved in this is perplexing. It was basically witnesses, okay, who wanted to get out of jail in exchange for testimony that fingered the guy. Other than that, I don't see any other connection, which is just head scratching on this. So sure, let's go through it, Okay. So Rose set up the situation, tell us about the crime, and they tell us about how Rodwell got in.
Speaker 2: You bet so. December nineteen seventy eight. Louis Rose Junior. He's a kind of a local drug dealer and the son of a decorated police officer. He is tooling around East Somerville in the industrial section of that city, and he's shot to death. It's a brutal murder. Six bullets in the head, two threw his hand, all from a twenty two caliber pistol. Now the shooting goes unsolved. It's a cold case for two years. And in nineteen eighty May of nineteen eighty Jimmy Rodwell, who's in his twenties at the time, is working as a bouncer at a disco on the Lindwe called Deja Vu. Is actually working with Franklin Zuli, who would later write for The Sopranos, and Frank de Pasqually, who's obviously a pill very well known restaurant tour and a state police detective comes to the disco and puts the cuffs on and says that you're arrested for murder. Arrested for the unsolved murder of Louis Rose Junior. Now Jimmy thinks it's a mistaken identity, and in fact, when he goes to the Somerville police station that night, he sees some cops that he knows and they're all, you know, kind of telling him, look at Jimmy, this is this has to be mistaken identity because you clearly aren't capable of doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one police officer, and specific I mean you're very emphatic about that. One officer specifically came out and said, wait a minute, no way, not this guy, that's right.
Speaker 2: And that officer's name is Tom McCone. You know, Tom has been champion championing Jimmy's innocence for forty three years. And Tommy told me, he said, look, you know who the trigger men are in the area, know who the shooters are. Jimmy was none of those. Jimmy was not a killer. Jimmy had had some rough patches in his early life, but he had a legitimate business and he was, you know, doing very well for himself. And out of the blue, he gets, you know, picked off the job and thrown into jail, and he thinks he is it's I think it was a Memorial Day weekend in May of nineteen eighty and he thinks he's going to get out, you know that Mondeer that Tuesday. And he's never released from prison. And it's all because, as you mentioned, Gary you know, two serial snitches looking to shave time off their sentences put him at the crime scene.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's let's just stop here for a minute. How in the world did Rodwell get fingered by Rose? I mean, not fingered by Rose, but for the Rose killing, Because there was a very limited connection from what I believe you wrote, between he and the original witness. He may have known him briefly, or may have worked with him, but there wasn't a really strong connection between Jimmy and these witnesses, right.
Speaker 2: No, No, there was basically no connection at all. Frank Holmes, who was one of the witnesses that you just described there, Gary, he had worked briefly, uh, you know, for Rodwell and rod Well's company, and he was a disgruntled worker. I think Rodwell had to fire him at some point, and I think he carried a grudge and when he was asked, you know, to put somebody you know at that crime scene because there was a very high profile crime, the you know, murder of the son of a decorated, decorated local police officer, you know, Jimmy Rodwell was was served up.
Speaker 1: So how does Frankie get this idea? Let's let's start with the first witness. Okay, it's two years later, the murder has not been solved. The first witness is Frankie Holmes. Okay, he's been arrested for robbery. He's looking for a way out, so he wants to exchange information. How does that whole thing go down?
Speaker 2: Well, I think he had a very you know, willing and agreeable uh state police detective uh that worked with him to you know, work on his testimony or at least his story. Now, the one thing that you know, with this story coming out in September of this year in Boston magazine, you know, we've already been through a summer of you know, the spotlight focused on state police corruption with Karen read case. So you know, go back, you know, forty three years and you're seeing you know, a really egregious case here involving Jimmy Rodwell. And again, you know, a guy like frank Holmes, the first initial witness, he'll say whatever you know the state police you know, ask him to say. And again he had a grudge. You must have had a grudge against Jimmy Rodwell because Jimmy fired him from the job, and that name popped into his head and came out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: What I don't understand is why the police in this instance, we're in such a hurry to solve this case, because what happens if you put an innocent man in jail, you're just kind of robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're just it doesn't make any sense to me. It's not and we've seen it, we've heard of it. Justice is not being served putting an innocent man in jail, manufacturing evidence or taking the first story or the second story from a couple of witnesses who are certainly not reputable, who have everything to gain by telling a story so they can get out of jail, and then putting another man in jail. You're letting out two people who should be in jail to put a man in jail who shouldn't be there. I don't get it. What is the motivation for the police to do that?
Speaker 2: You know, the motivation I think for for certain police officers to do this, it's all about you know, closing cases, you know, regardless of the truth. And again, these people should not be, you know, allowed to wear a police badge, but they do. And I think, you know, there are similar cases all over the United States, all over the world where police investigators make the suspect fit the crime, and they certainly did so here with Jimmy Rodwell.
Speaker 1: It's a great piece. Check it out a Boston magazine written by Casey Sherman. Jimmy Rodwell forty three years. He has been serving for a crime that, according to Casey, and according to Rodwell, and Casey believes it for a crime that he did not commit, a cold blood and murder. And it's called the eleventh hour. Now there is another shooter drop because you can't simply have one witness to put a man behind bars, so the authorities needed a second witness. Casey will tell us that part of the story coming up next. I feel like I'm on twenty twenty or Datelight. This on Dateline on WBZ. We'll be back after this. It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's News Radio. Cool. Thank you very much, appreciate it. Back here on Nightside, Gary Tangway for day tonight, Casey Sherman is joining us here. How Town. It's a terrific book. You got to read this. Then Murder in Hollywood, which is my favorite one of Casey's because I love the whole murder stuff in the noir and but it's toss up between hell Town and murder and Hollywood. He's got another one coming out soon, Blood in the Water. We'll ask him about that a little bit later on, and then there's a big show coming up with the Wilberg next Springs who he's a busy man. But right now we're talking about the Eleventh Hour, which is an article he wrote in Boston Magazine about Jimmy Rodwell, the man who spent the last forty three years in jail, and he's been continuing to prove his innocence. So, Casey, we have witness number one that fingers Rodwell and says that he did it. He was the trigger guy. But you need too, so tell us about Nagel and how he comes in the picture.
Speaker 2: So two thirty two year old David Nagel, you know, he's the real bad guy here. Frankie Holmes, the first witness, he's a bad guy. But David Nagel is really bad. David Nagel is you know, a serial bank robber, you know a guy that's been in and out of jail. You know, almost his entire life. He is incarcerated with Jimmy Rodwell. Shortly after Jimmy Rodwell gets arrested in nineteen eighty and you know, within days, according to Rodwell allegedly confessed that he had killed Louis Rose Junior in nineteen seventy eight. Quote, I put seven in his head and I didn't hesitate.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you stop bringing there? Can you? I want to stop. You just say that one more time.
Speaker 2: I put seven in his head and didn't hesitate.
Speaker 1: Okay. Dick Wolf wrote that, you know what I mean, Like I read that. Like when I read that, I went, oh, come on, nobody told me what are you kidding me? Was this on HBO? I mean nobody talks like that, you know, right, No.
Speaker 2: I mean this is dialogue from an HBO drama exactly.
Speaker 1: Come on, you know that's the part where I went, I I don't know, That's where I was like, Okay, anyways, I interrupted you please continue, No, no, no.
Speaker 2: But you make a good point, because you know it's really, you know, old kind of Noirrish pattern that you read in some of these transcripts. You think, well, but is this dialogue from an no Ola movie? Or is this actually real you know, David Nagel basically was a serial snitch, somebody that worked with local government and even the federal government to shave years off of his sentences. And you know, how does anyone believe that, within a couple of days of Jimmy Rodwell even knowing David Nagel, that Jimmy Rodwell is going to confess to a murder that may put him away for life. Didn't make any sense then, doesn't make any sense. Now, Jimmy barely knew David Nagel while they were at the bel Rique House of Correction. But those are the two witnesses that the prosecution put on the stand during rod Well's trial in nineteen eighty one, and the jury bought it, despite the fact that Jimmy Rodwell's lawyer just ripped these two witnesses to shreds on the witness stand. You know, in nineteen eighty jurors believed the government. They believed the prosecutors. They didn't you know, they really didn't know. You know, the depths of the corruption within the FBI and wedding Bulger, or within the state police in several other crimes and cases. You know, these people were susceptible to what they believe the government was telling them, which is what they thought was the truth.
Speaker 1: Now let's get to the inconsistencies, because I'm glad you brought that out, because the defense shredded this case to pieces, i mean, just tore it apart. So you're talking about we're talking about Rose. Okay, So Rose, who's the victim who's murdered. So according to the testimony, and it changed a lot, and I'll let you get into that. They were very inconsistent. Rose had a rifle and he had pills, and yet they went and they had to pull material out of the trunk, but the car was still running. As we know, back in nineteen seventy eight, you had to take the keys out to open up the trunk. It's not like today. You didn't have keyless entry. So the pills in the rifle that Rose allegedly had, it's all over the road. And the testimony changed, and how it exchanged hands and how the whole thing went down. When you take a look at Holmes's testimony, it changed three times. I'm not sure about Nagel, but that witness's testimony was not consistent, not once.
Speaker 2: No, not once and you know, and he continued to get contradicted on the stand by Jimmy Rodwell's attorney, and you mentioned, you know, Frankie Holmes allegation that Jimmy Rodwell went up to the car, the death car, if you will, to get the keys out of the car and then go back to the trunk where they allegedly had these drugs. And that was the whole you know, impetus allegedly for Louis Rose's murder, that Jimmy Rodwell was going to rob him of this massive jar of percocet pills. But the inconsistency is very stark because the vehicle, to your point, Gary was still running at the time in nineteen seventy eight. You literally needed to take the keys out of the ignition, go around to the back of the trunk of the car, open the trunk with a key in order to extract anything from the truck. That's exactly you know that didn't happen. Holmes was was blasted by the defense attorney during trial for this major discrepancy, this major inconsistency that should have been enough for the jury to say, wait a minute, something is fishy here. Jimmy Rodwell is not going to get convicted because we need a threshold of beyond a reasonable doubt, and that clearly wasn't the case here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what about Nagel as far as any holes in his theory, because I was just focused on the other.
Speaker 2: Guy, right, So Nagel and I want their you know, readers certainly to pick up Boston Magazine and read this for themselves. You know, Nagel, you know, his biggest inconsistencies are where you know, Jimmy Rodwell claimed he had tossed the murder weapons, and they had state police divers searching two locations that ultimately came up, you know, with nothing, no evidence at all that any you know, pistol or any murder weapon had been absconded or dropped, you know, either in Somerville or you know, by the Charles River in the North End. So you've got two, you know, very I would say, you know, criminal witnesses with zero credibility on the stand trying to put this guy away for life.
Speaker 1: So what was the result for the witnesses, or so for Frankie and for Nagel, What did they get in exchange for their testimony?
Speaker 2: Frankie went into witness protection and was reunited with his girlfriend, who was pregnant with their daughter at the time, and Nagel got several years shaved off of the sentence. And one of the things that Jimmy Rodwell's attorney, Veronica White, has found out over the years, and she's she's been a bulldog on this case, is that Nagel not only was he a local you know, informant for the state police, but he also head tied to the federal government and it was the government's job to protect Nagel, especially in the Rodwell case, because Nagel's fingers were also on several other cases at the federal.
Speaker 1: Level, and we don't have time to go into in case. He's right, you do need to read this in detail in Boston Magazine because the Nagel story, I was like, this guy made a living being an informant and.
Speaker 2: He admitted to it. That's that's the thing, Gary, I mean, he he said it was a game, and he said that he had, you know, played investigators, that he had played detectives because it was all a game to him. It was a high stakes game.
Speaker 1: So now there is new evidence for Rodwell, how does it look for him.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that's that's the thing. The article is called the Eleventh Hour. This is really kind of Jimmy Rodwell's Hail Mary Pass to get out of prison. He's sixty eight years old. Veronica White is got some several legal strategies that she's working on right now to win his freedom. It's really all about putting eyes back on this case. I think for forty three years, people in the justice system in Massachusetts knew Jimmy Rodwell was innocent, but they were willing to let an innocent guy go down to protect not only the David Nagels of the world, but their own reputations. Now, by putting a new lens on this case and getting people involved much like they were and have been involved with Karen Reid case, you know, that will lead to changes being made at the state level to get Jimmy Rodwell out of prison.
Speaker 1: You know, I was just thinking about that case. See how the Karen Reid is just so Karen reidcase is so different from this case because of the media coverage. Really yeah, I mean it's the media coverage, it's the immediacy of it, it's all the different angles. It's social media that if that existed when Rodwell was initially in prison, it might have been a different story.
Speaker 2: I think it would have been a totally different story, you know. I think people, you know, everybody, you know, kind of they bought the cheese, so to speak, in nineteen eighty. They were willing to let an innocent man go to prison for the rest of his life. Meanwhile, Jimmy's family, you know, you know, is still waiting for him to come home, hoping that he comes home, you know, if not tomorrow, maybe next month, maybe next year. But time is running out for Jimmy Rodwell. And I think that you know, your audience here, Gary, I'd love them to pick up the article. But for Boston Magazine, they can also read it online. I think it posts next week. Get involved, get outraged, use the hashtag free Jimmy, and get this guy out of jail.
Speaker 1: What about a civil suit for the family, Does that exist?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that that exists. I think Jimmy's really focused on just getting out of prison right now. Whether it's you know, commutation or whether it's a new trial. I think those are the avenues that Jimmy's legal team, which includes Marty Weinberg, a very famous Boston attorney who's been outraged about this case as well. I think they're working on that right now to go through the legal channels to get Jimmy out. But we'll see what levers need to be pulled in order to get this guy's freedom.
Speaker 1: Casey's got a busy schedule coming up. We're going to run it down next we hit the stage again at the Schubert Theater coming up next year in the spring. It's going to be a blast. He's got a brand new book coming out and also a couple of books. I want to say, if you haven't read them yet, if you haven't read Hell Town, I mean you got to go get it. You gotta go pick this up. I'm running ound Hollywood. These are things you got to take a look at. So we look ahead and see what Casey's get cooking next here on wbz's Nightside. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studio on WBZ News Radio. All right, back here, Gary Tangling for Dan tonight. Coming up at nine o'clock. The Great John Powers, who has been covering the Olympics for the Boston Globe since nineteen seventy six. We are going to talk to him. He was in Paris and he is one of the great journalists in this city. And we're not only going to talk about Paris, but just to talk about the whole Olympic atmosphere. What's going on with the Olympics now and looking ahead to Los Angeles and what did it worked here in Boston? What did it work here in Boston. That's all coming up now. I'm right here on WBZ Casey Sherman with US Boston Magazine. Check it out. The eleventh Hour, Jimmy Rodwell claiming his innocence after spending forty three years behind bars. Check that out. But Casey's also working on some other things. Casey, tell me about Blood and Water. What's going on with that book? When can we expect it? What is it about?
Speaker 2: Sure? Blood in the Water is my eighteenth true crime book, and it comes out in April of twenty twenty five, and it's the story of Nathan Carman. Now, those of you in the audience may remember Nathan. He was a young man on the Spectrum who a few years ago took his mother out on a deep sea fishing trip off the coast of Rhode Island, the boat goes down, she disappears. He's a castaway on a life raft for up to seven days before he's rescued by a passing Chinese cargo ship in the fishing lanes of the North Atlantic. He's brought back to the US Coast Guard station, and at first Gary everybody thinks it's a bittersweet story. He's been rescued, but unfortunately his mother has disappeared and was likely drowned. But when they get him back to the Coastguard station, they begin to pick at his story. They don't believe that his mother just went missing or got knocked off the boat. They believe that he killed her. And then they realize that he's also the prime suspect in his grandfather's shotgun murder three years prior in Connecticut, all allegedly to seize control of a fifty million dollar family fortune. It makes the murder case in South Carolina look like a bunch of amateurs. This is an explosive story, and the way I'll tease it out is everything has been written about Nathan Carman, about the guilt in both these cases, but I interviewed thirty witnesses in this case, and this guy may actually be innocent of the crimes that he was accused of.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So can you tell us anymore because I have like a ton of questions, but I don't want to give anything away because that is a great tease, that is a phenomenal. But obviously you've done your research, so you believe in that, you believe in the guy.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean, I'm on the fence still. Some days I wake up and think what a diabolical killer Nathan Carmen was. Then the other day, you know, another day, I'll wake up and think there's no possible way he could have pulled off these two murders. And I think that, you know, once the readers start to, you know, peel the onion back, as I did. I went in with an open mind on this case. I never went in to you know, prove Nathan Carmen's guilt or to prove his innocence. I really went in to just tell the story. But as the story began to unfold around me, and as you know, putting my journalist hat on and interviewing as many people as I could around this case, many other suspects emerge. In the shotgun murder of his father and also in the you know, disappearance of Nathan's mother, Linda Carmen.
Speaker 1: Well, put me on the list and you could purchase it, right, Can you buy it now?
Speaker 2: You can buy it now. It is available for pre sale on Amazon dot Com.
Speaker 1: I've done that with your books before, and I forgot and then I'll get it in the mail like six months later and I go, what is this? Did I buy this? Wait a minute, did I buy?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And now I get the ones with the big print, which I love? Phenomenal, great idea for those of us, you know, getting on in years. We need the ones with the big print. Okay, we have a very exciting event. It's coming up next fall, excuse me, next spring. And I've been fortunate enough and privileged enough to work with Casey in a couple of other shows. So tell us what's going to be happening next spring.
Speaker 2: Case sure, the show is called A Night Mayre with Casey Sherman. Now, Gary, you know, we all love ghost stories, and basically what I'll be doing, with the help of you in a very talented cast of local actors, is bringing some of my investigations to the stage at the Wilber Theater on March twenty sixth, whether it's the Boston Strangler case, you know, really peeling the layers back of my reinvestigation of that case. My aunt Mary Sullivan, for those that know, was the youngest and final victim in the Boston Strangler case in nineteen sixty four, so we'd take a deep dive into that. We also bring to stage Lana Turner and really focus on a murder in Hollywood and how the shooting of her gangster boyfriend all went down on Good Friday nineteen fifty eight. And then we end the show with a very graphic and profound retelling of Healthtown, which is about a serial murder case in nineteen sixty nine in Provincetown. And I've covered over one hundred homicides in my career, Gary, this is the most brutal that I've ever seen. This is like Jack the Ripper had been resurrected to stock the women of the Outer Cape, and that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a terrific book and people should pick it up and read it. And the thing I want to I get two questions about that the timing of those crimes were covered up again, well, I shouldn't say covered up, but did not get the attention because of what.
Speaker 2: Because of Charles Manson. Charlie Manson began the you know, Sharon Tate Labaca murder spree in the summer of nineteen sixty nine. Tony Costa is killing women on the Outer Cape early in nineteen sixty nine. And what you'll learn the stage at the Wilber Theater on March twenty sixth, twenty twenty five, is that Tony Costa, the Killer and the Cape knew Charles Manson that they were both you know, friendly together in San Francisco in the late nineteen sixties. To the idea that these two maniacs, these two serial killers were breathing the same air evolving at the same time is really incredible to see. And you know, as much of an amazing show that this is going to be, it's also a charity show. So all proceeds from this show are going to the Pete Frades Foundation that supports als patients and their families across New England. And you know, thank you Gary for donating your time. Thank you to my incredible cast that is going to be joining me on stage at the Wilbur because we're all doing something very special that night.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I love to do this is number One, I get to work with you. Number Two, I've met some wonderful people and made some great friendships. And when people go to a show like this, and I will tell people this, the amount of talent that is in Boston is conmpletely completely flying under the radar. It really is like I've met some actors that I'm just like, you know, Kevin Lassett. You know, it just comes to the top of my mind. You know, who teaches theater at high school and he comes out and does these performances. I go, this guy should be in Hollywood. You know. There's so many local actors that have just chose to stay here and work and then you know, kind of do it as a hobby. And that's what you will get to see at the Wilburg. I mean, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you're right about that. Gary, I mean, you know it's it's Kevin Lassett, it's Arthur Hugh, it is Paul Candarian, Christine Mohan.
Speaker 1: And then you've got you know, yes and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Steve Sweeney, for example, you know the legendary comedian he's going to be part of our show, John Fiori, who had a significant role in The Sopranos. We're bringing him into the show as well. So it's going to be a great, you know night to get together as kind of an acting troop and walk the audience. Three of these incredibly rich dark ghost stories. Tickets are on sale right now. Just go to wilbur dot com. A Nightmare with Casey Sherman and again your ticket will benefit the Pete Fradies Foundation for als patients.
Speaker 1: Well done, Casey, great workers always. We'll be looking for the book Blood in the Water coming out the Eleventh Hour Boston Magazine online or pick it up at a new stand or maybe you still subscribe. But it's a well done story about a very tragic situation. It's about Jimmy Rodwell. He was trying to get out of prison up to forty three years Casey, thanks for joining us. Talk to you soon, buddy, Thank you, Eric. All right, have a good one. All right. Coming up next, I'll look back at the Paris Olympic Games and the Olympics in general with the Dean of Olympic Coverage, John Powers of the Boston Globe. This is WBC's nightside