Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to a very special season promo episode A Mean Book Club.
Speaker 2: We can call these episodes.
Speaker 3: A minisode perhaps, you know. Buckle up, a buckle, a little something to pump you up, get you prepped, get you ready.
Speaker 1: Thirsty for season twenty one, where we give you the book list, right, what what do you want?
Speaker 4: Water?
Speaker 3: Thirsty for books?
Speaker 4: Because you drink for water, everyone drink, I drink words.
Speaker 2: I would say we've gone on the wrong kind of at tangent.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, don't.
Speaker 3: Make me spit my water out.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's talk about some of these books we got this season, so they can you know, our listeners can get started.
Speaker 3: Yes, wet their appetite.
Speaker 2: Never too late to get started. As a Mean Book Club podcaster, let me tell you, it's never too late to start a book.
Speaker 3: You can start it the day before it's due. You can ever read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fine. Actually, just listen, you know what. That's actually fair. You don't have to talk, so it's true, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: But here we go. We got Rose in Chains by Julie Soto.
Speaker 4: Ooh ooh Cheney, Yes, like Dick Cheney.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's about Dick Cheney. What else?
Speaker 3: What else do we got?
Speaker 4: We have a book I'm really excited about everybody. It's the book that is the TV show that everyone.
Speaker 3: Is watching this fall except for Johanna. It is Heated.
Speaker 4: Rivalry by Rachel Read. And we had a guest in that episode, James Cocher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an F one influencer, so it really fits sports.
Speaker 2: Then we have Ninth House by Lee Bardugo. And now I'll take a little shot at Sabrina. For some reason, out of nowhere, everybody's reading this book except Sabrina.
Speaker 4: Well that's not true. I read the book, but you scheduled she missed it for a time. I preemptively said I couldn't do this is for anyone.
Speaker 3: Shot yourself. You have powerless? All right? Fine?
Speaker 1: Next we have Secret of Secrets by Dan Brown. Is this our third, Dan Brown?
Speaker 3: Our third?
Speaker 1: Isn't it?
Speaker 4: Angels in America and the bookst Angels?
Speaker 3: What are they called? Angels and Demons?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: In America. We've done a few Dan Browns. That's all I have to say. Yes, And we have a guest. Can we say that? No, it's Jonathan Bernandez.
Speaker 1: He's background last n he's back, the actor the the brilliant, the fernandoah the writer.
Speaker 4: Then after that, what do we got remarkably bright creatures? Bye?
Speaker 3: Shall be van Pelt. Here's what I feel.
Speaker 4: Like, what I like about it. It's like both parts of her name are animal houses or for like a shell a pelt.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, that Shelby shell is a little bit.
Speaker 1: Reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like.
Speaker 2: It's like if a turtle married a fox. Yeah, the baby Shelby van Pelt.
Speaker 1: And that's a remarkably bright creature. All right, I'm scared of that one. Next we have sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney.
Speaker 3: Ooh, naughty, I lie?
Speaker 4: Did she write that book about the authors on the island and the men who kept not being able to live?
Speaker 2: From that description I knew, not know, you know, beautiful ugly?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Did she write that?
Speaker 4: Oh she did, perfect description of that book.
Speaker 3: It got me there. It took me a second, but I got it at all, all right. And then finally what do we got bill a bomb?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Whoops? Gettick silver?
Speaker 2: I did get it by Callie Hart, a book that I like keep forgetting the name of. And when I see it in my stack of books I have to read, I'm like it's not for mean book clubs. So something about it is leaving my brain in a really bad way.
Speaker 3: It bodes badly for the book, all right, But yeah, we're going badly for the book. But I think that means it's going to have a great break.
Speaker 4: I just looked cover for that and yeah, Wow, we've really got a theme this season, don't we?
Speaker 1: Look we do? And we went hard. We'd picked some things from book talk. We picked some things you guys were recommended screaming at us for to do them, and we're and we also picked some long ones. We made some mistakes. We picked some long ones, and we're not that happy about that, but we're dealing with it. Okay.
Speaker 3: At least they're all New York Times bestsellers this time.
Speaker 4: JOHNA and Sarah picked this list without consulting me.
Speaker 3: Certainly.
Speaker 4: I can't say if Clara was consulted.
Speaker 3: She was certainly not consulted.
Speaker 4: I'm going to assume.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do think we maybe overdid it because I'm reading the description of Quicksilver. It's yeah, Sarah's Faine, a thief with hidden powers, is pulled into a magical world of Fay Warren alchemy.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 2: Powers, a lot of secrets, a little more am I like the driving balance force in the planning call?
Speaker 1: How can.
Speaker 3: Cast you are?
Speaker 1: I think if you want any nonfiction, we need for you to Yeah, I'm not going to pick it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to pick it without your insistence.
Speaker 4: And also, like I have to stress that diversity is not just in fiction versus nonfiction. It's in eighteen hours versus eight hours. We use a little more eight hours.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll work on it.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think we were leaning into popular books, and that's maybe where, well, where we went wrong.
Speaker 4: I don't know or what right you guys tell people are nerds these days, they're actually.
Speaker 3: Still recording the promo. Did you guys know that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what I think Sarah and I did this is that feigned incompetence thing, like when you ask some one to unload the dishwasher and they do such a bad job you don't ask them again. I think that's what we've done to encourage you to get more involved.
Speaker 3: In maybe next season.
Speaker 4: It's Claire exphercise enough that you did not remotely invite me to a plan meeting that would have involved picking books. No, no, no, no, no, no, listeners. You need to know that the day before they were having a meeting that did not seem to include picking the books. They said are you available? And the answer was no, And I could have I could have told them that everyone's invited a week before.
Speaker 2: Sabrina, you need to lean in, take your seat at the table.
Speaker 3: Okay, right.
Speaker 1: Look, Also, you are notoriously hard to schedule, so I listen to blame us for that.
Speaker 4: Well, but you didn't say that it was picking the books. I mean I would not have been available that day that you chose without consulting me.
Speaker 3: Look a day again.
Speaker 4: I even remember earlier I was trying to offer every other day next week.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm being everything they could listeners.
Speaker 1: Way in, does that those books seem like a great season of books? Or are you mad like Sabrina weigh in? Are you mad and wrong like Sabrina? Oh?
Speaker 3: Wow, wrong? Okay? So are we doing a little fucker of the promo because we're not in vogue to dole out of the proo. This is just a promo. Let's end it boost my stats in that way. My child is screaming my name behind me. I should go Okay, b